7.0

1. Jul 21, 2013
    Oblivion is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I really enjoyed the cgi effects, story kept me curious, acting was really great, acting was awesome. If you're looking for a great Sci-Fi movie, Oblivion is the best choice.
  2. Jul 21, 2013
    Oblivion provides stunning visuals and a cinematography that is truly mesmerizing but as the story moves along, all the beauty begins to disappear and your left with a beautiful beginning and a somewhat lifeless ending.
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    I din't actually like Oblivion. It was too hard to understand and it was kind of boring sometimes and i didn't really enjoy it. I didn't understand the whole point and what was really or not. A waste of 7 euros. Only on Dvd for the special effects which are kinda impressive. I also like the fight Cruise Vs Cruise.
  4. Jul 11, 2013
    This movie fell so flat its not even funny! It had horrible acting, a boring plot and characters that no one even cares about. Don't waste your money on this movie!
  5. Jul 6, 2013
    It has a cool premise and stunning FX in the action scenes, but the film feels too long and lost interest nearer to the end. Though it is nothing of a masterpiece it has some great action and a nice one or two plot twists which got me hooked for a short time. The ending was a nice touch as well, but overall the film dragged for me.
  6. Jul 4, 2013
    Many people have addressed that the film seems almost, “routine" in a sense, because many of the themes portrayed in the film are reminiscent to those from other films before it. However, these criticisms go very far and completely state that “there is nothing special about this film, it’s a blatant rip off of hundreds of sci-fi films before it." I have to disagree.

There is much to
    love about oblivion, in fact, it’s first half has possibly some of the most creative aspects of a story and setting I've seen. Expand
  7. Jun 28, 2013
    Generic Sci-Fi movie with predictable Sci-Fi stuff. I could take it or leave. Maybe watch it if you happen to catch it on TV/Netflix sometime and you don't have anything better in mind.
  8. Jun 18, 2013
    I give this movie a 7 for one reason, the visuals. The visuals in Oblivion were absolutely stunning, no doubt. Story line was pretty good. Acting, not bad. Delivery? Meh, could have done much better. Spent too much time explaining the setting than actually telling the story. By that I mean the first 2/3 of the movie is used to set up the last 1/3. Best part of this movie is the end. you Sally.
  9. Jun 18, 2013
    This is an excellent movie in the sci fi genre. The plot is interesting and intriguing, the sets and costumes are great, the photography and action are very good, and the music is fine. This film would have received a much better rating from the critics if Tom Cruise was not in it. They hate him so much that it affects their judgement, and they do not even hide it. I'm not a supporter of scientology and I admit that Tom Cruise is not the greatest actor. However, he is good enough for those movies. I thik that we must separate the persons from the films. If we gave low ratings to films based on stupid things that actors, directors, or writers had said or done, we would trash a lot of movies. Expand
  10. Jun 15, 2013
    I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring but Oblivion had much of the film cast in wide open, vast wastelands where the action scenes where clear and easy to follow. The plot was simple and intriguing, yet kept you interested throughout. The movie falls a little flat prior to the climax but it was a pleasant surprise to see such a good, yet different sci-fi movie because they just don't make very many good or original ones anymore. I will be in the store the day it gets released on blu-ray to get my copy! Expand
  11. Jun 14, 2013
    Could've used more back-story, but all in all, I was entertained and it held my attention. Cruise played himself, as he usually does no matter what the role, but he fits well in this film. The story is not the most original, but feels more original than most sci-fi/action flicks these days. Gorgeous CGI. Not a movie I'd buy, but I don't regret seeing it either.
  12. Jun 9, 2013
    How slow and redundant can you get for the first 90% and then a solid ending. Was it worth it? No. It has the ending that you wish Star Trek would have had. But sitting through exposition that takes an hour violates everything a audience expects.
  13. Jun 4, 2013
    "Oblivion is no question a visual marvel and features Tom Cruise at his best. But sadly that gets clouded by its overwhelming and confusing plot while all the same running too long and it fails to capture or retain your attention after about the hour mark." C
  14. Jun 3, 2013
    well its kind of hard to see movies with very few actors in them, this one had very few people. the story line was lacking i taught it was a waste of time.
  15. Jun 2, 2013
    Oblivion is an incredible movie. Not only are the visuals stunning, but the story is beautiful and all the plot-lines are tied up by the end of the movie. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman play their parts excellently, and the soundtrack is a masterpiece. Would highly recommend to anyone, especially fans of 70's and modern science fiction.
  16. Jun 2, 2013
    This movie should have been titled "Oblivious" instead. Tom Cruise was Oblivious to the tings that was happening around him. The Director was trying to keep you Oblivious and surprise you at the end...Actually,you do end up Oblivious...As to why you SAT THROUGH THIS WHOLE MOVIE! Oblivion Review Cast and Crew Oblivion is directed by Joseph Kosinski the director of the legendary "Tron Legacy"...that was sarcasm. I have to say this director has a thing for vast emptiness and dark colors. Kosinski must have a fascination with sci-fi and I have to say he has a knack somewhere in his style. Eventually he will get it down and put out a sci-fi classic but Oblivion is not his career-making Gem. Tom Cruise plays Jack, Engineer 52. He is basically the only cast member worthy of discussing because this whole movie was his show. That is actually a good thing. I feel if the movie actually just kept the stupporting cast out of the picture more this would have been a great film. BUUUT the supporting cast are there...Morgan Freeman is Beech, he did good. Other people play other parts and I cannot discuss them without spoiling so let us move on :).

The Story
    Jack, Engineer 52, is part of the clean up crew in a post apocalyptic Earth. Humanity was invaded and won, through the use of nuclear arms. It would be up to Jack to repair drones and explore the wastelands in various vehicles.However, Jack is a bit more intrigued with the land and less intrigued with his mission and starts digging. That is all I can tell you about the story .

The Presentation
    This movie is gorgeous. It looks like Jack is in a post apocalypse. One of the things that made me glad that I was watching this movie in the theaters was its stunning visuals. Tom Cruise is awesome in this movie. His act in Jack Reacher was commical to say the least but in this movie he put on his acting hat. So what is wrong with this movie that triggered my mean statement in my opening? The cast is great, the visuals are stunning, the story is actually very good, but Joseph Kosinski, your PRESENTATION sucks!!!

Take that Kosinski!!!!

Ok...had to let off some steam, let us move on shall we.I had the same issues with "Tron Legacy" this director took a cool ass premise like: (A teen gets sucked into one of the most addictive arcade games in history) and turned it into a bunch of wannabe "Matrix" Here he takes a really cool story that should have been an instant classic and turned it into Boring I had to censor myself because the use of the genre made its way into this movie to become an unnecessary plot point!!! I'm a fan of but that is out of the window in a world that is mostly Fallout 3 without the mutants. It was better when the was between Jack and the planet he didn't want to abandon.
    This movie takes a deep deep blow when it goes from actually intriguing to boring and the ending is a total cop out. Right after an ending that you accept to expect after coping with the bull**** the movie cops out and gives you a generic "Happily ever after" ending. I hate when a movie has everything going for it then a director tries to pull an M. Night Shammywammy on you Forecast...M. Night sucks! he is a terrible director! There is no need to try to keep an audience guessing when you have a story with such an obvious ending. It will only piss us off an hour and forty five minutes into the movie.

Rating

The story and the dedication my Tom Cruise and his supporting cast followed by these amazing visuals are proof that this movie deserves a better rating. I can actually see how some readers may get upset at my rating and argue that this movie was great. I have no problem with long movies but when a movie makes me think that I was watching it for three hours when in fact, I was watching it for two hours and five minutes then something is not right. When the action hit, it hit. When the drama weighs down, it was a little heavy. Yet, entertainment prevails and I was thoroughly bored during some of this film With some better editing this movie could easily be about 20 to 30 minutes shorter and be a ton more entertaining. So I have to say I had my fill well before the third act. Oblivious was as Fattening and Bland as a Gallon of mushy rice!

Bland and Fattening
    (needs more seasoning and too Damn Much!!!)

Quick Trivia
    For the readers who had a chance to sit through the movie. When I mentioned bull****, what was I talking about? What genre doesn't belong in this
    film? First guess gets an honorable mention in a post.
  17. Jun 1, 2013
    This movie is absolutely amazing, the setting, the effects, the story, acting and the soundtracks are just AMAZING. You should definitely check this movie out, you won't regret it!
  18. May 29, 2013
    Iam really able to ignore the real-life of Tom Cruise.So I can normally just focus on the movies.
    The film has very good graphics.But to be honest its one of the only good things that the movie has.The plot is average and and the twist is not the best.There some logical mistakes that do not take the quality down but also not lift it.
    ´Finally you can watch it and you will be not annoyed
    by it.But that is not a real compliment to a film i think. Expand
  19. May 29, 2013
    For my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot of sci-fi writers in particular will argue that your memories make up who you are, and so the end to the film brought it all full circle for me. I loved it. Expand
  20. May 25, 2013
    I'm surprised this movie got such bad reviews, one has to wonder if there isn't some activist voting going on. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but I love a good sci-fi flick, especially a semi-original one like this. Absolutely worth a rental when it releases on DVD and Blu Ray.
  21. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has got to be one of the greatest films I have seen. Yes, I know the story is a re-hash of 1980s sci-fi flicks like Blade Runner, but still, Tom Cruise performs very well, and so do the supporting actors. My only complaint is when Tom Cruise goes to the Tet to see Sally, she looks like HAL 9000. I think that is a bit of a rip-off from 2001: A Space Odyssey, but other than that, it is a very beautiful action/sci-fi flick. Expand
  22. May 25, 2013
    OBLIVION

Oblivion takes place in the year 2077. Earth has all but been destroyed by a major war between mankind and alien invaders. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise), a drone repairman, must question everything he knows upon the events that take place two weeks prior to his assignment coming to an end.

The film starts out a little slow, but builds with suspense as it goes. It drags a little
    here and almost seemed like it was 3 hours long even though the run time is listed at 126 minutes.

The acting was okay, given the subpar dialogue and cheesy moments. Tom Cruise was his usual self and Morgan Freeman added a nice, but small touch. I didn't really have my expectations too high going into this movie and that set me up for a pleasant surprise. I found the story to be compelling and although not the most unpredictable or original, I couldn't help but to sit back and enjoy the ride.

The best thing about this movie were the special effects and sound editing. I must say they were fantastic throughout the entire film and made the film worthwhile. This is a fun movie and I believe most audiences will find themselves enjoying it for the most part.

If you liked iRobot, Moon, or Promethius, give this movie a try.

My Grade for this film: B

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  23. May 24, 2013
    I hate Tom Cruise, I really do. He is one of the worst actors ever and is annoyingly pretentious. His acting is drier than a rattlesnake's vagina and can not emote worth a in mind I gave Oblivion a shot and like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion it was a huge waste of time. Where do I start? The story tries to be inventive, but just ends up being predictable. There are two main "plot twist" in the movie that is so obvious I guessed they would happen a 10 mins. You know what I hate? Blatant exposition which this movie has a of. Oh! And that ending, is You know how a good movie would wrap all loose ends or hell if they are just being money grubbing whores sequel-bait? This movie instead end the movie with lazy exposition. Let's not forget this movie is filled with plot-holes and I mean FILLED!!! My friends who dragged me to this said it was a There is a difference between a movie that causes you to really think and a movie that lazily throws away plot-lines; this being the latter. Btw there were a lot of things that happened for no reason other than the plot said so(I said bull**** so many times). What about the actors? As much as I want to solely blame Cruise, I can't, because they are all terrible! Even(sniff) even Morgan Freeman. I can't find one actor who did a good job. They really made the experience worse. If one of them died I couldn't be bothered to care cause they didn't get me emotionally invested. "Oh, what's-her-face died?" Boo freaking Hoo. The effects? Hit or miss. While the buildings; vehicles and those awesome guns were top-notch, the droids looked like the personality spheres from Portal and the green screen effect was among the worst I've seen in recent memory. The action was pretty good too I must admit, but then we're again back to those bull**** moments. If there is anything I can give homage to is the musical score which is done by French electronic/shoegaze band M83. This was definitely done with care as every note mixes with the moment bringing emotion that unfortunately the actors can't bring their selves. With that said the final score for me is a 4/10. Have you ever went into an area for two hours and after your stay there was over you left wondering what you did for two hours? Well that is this movie in a nutshell and why does my wallet feel lighter? Expand
  24. May 22, 2013
    If you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot device named Bob) well worth overlooking. Expand
  25. May 22, 2013
    Great looking but disappointing. There are some great scenes, but the plot is very derivative. A shame cos they got everything else right. SF really needs to find some new tunes. Some clunky dialogue "F**k you Sally" ugh. That being said it's so well executed that it's still ok, preferably on the big screen.
  26. May 19, 2013
    It's like 2001: A Space Odyssey only not written well at all. However besides its confusing atmosphere, Tom Cruise, as usual, has a good performance to make for the plot, and the production and visual masterpiece is mind-blowing.
  27. May 19, 2013
    The bad Tom Cruise acting got annoying at points but had a mostly enjoyable plot but I find some of it to be too romantic. The actual action scenes are well done, bit I would of liked to see more Morgan Freeman. I fell like it's more of a women sci-fi because of the over-done "Tom Cruise Feel".
  28. May 16, 2013
    While Oblivion is perhaps the worst film I have seen this year thus far, it is still enjoyable and presents us a competent Sci-fi story that feels like it has been pulled from the 1970s full of twists and turns. Sometimes the film feels like its trying to be smarter than it is however, and I have never been too fond of Tom Cruise as an actor. My main complaint of the film however, is that the cinematography at times feels too false and feels like a television programme, while this likely will not be a problem for most people, it cheapened the feel of the film for me and kind of took me out of the experience. The effects are great and you do at least feel something for at least some of the characters throughout the film, although at times it feels like it is just going through the motions. All in all however, the film is enjoyable and the storyline is actually good and makes you think to some extent. Decent, 69/100. Expand
  29. May 15, 2013
    See this movie; in parts it is convoluted and the end is somewhat trite but overall it is one of the better, more imaginative sci fi outings of recent years. I loved it.
  30. May 13, 2013
    A TRILLION TIMES BETTER THAN IRON MAN 3...It''s sad how movies like this get dwarfed by massive piles of crap movies like iron man 3. This movie was a sci fi work of art. Amazing soundtrack. glorious visuals. a True gem to behold for sci fi fans. If you want a sci fi flick that touches your emotions, watch this. However if your expecting some stupid action, and stupid mindless fun...this isnt it
  31. May 13, 2013
    Without really being exceptionally amazing, I still found this movie pretty decent. It certainly did appear to borrow ideas from a lot of my other favorite sci-fi movies, and it didn't always execute the ideas as well as the other films did. Forgiving that, I still had a fun time.
  32. May 12, 2013
    I am thinking that film critic underrated the sci-fi film "Oblivion" and over time the film will be credited with being a classic in the sci-fi genre by film critics. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and think it is one of the best films this year. It is a visual feast with outstanding production values in all aspects of film making and hope that more people will get out to see it before it is buried by lesser efforts. Put aside your dislike of Tom Cruise and get out to see the film. I understand that if their is to be a sequel it all depends on its Box Office success. Expand
  33. May 12, 2013
    It is visually incredible and the finale is very unexpected and tom cruise is incredible but in some parts is slow. Is a movie for be see in the cinema
  34. May 12, 2013
    When people write a review for the movie and give it a zero, you must ask yourself what is the motive? To be realistic very few movies deserve this rating, especially a movie with Tom Cruise & Morgan Freeman I think this was a very good science fiction movie, so many people can not be wrong...
  35. May 9, 2013
    nne of the most narcissistic films I have seen in years. tom cruise and the woman are the only subjects throughout the film. this is boring,no plot,a total yawn and have no idea what it was supposed to mean. you will hate yourself if you go to this drawn out plot less movie! I kept waiting for some story line to surface and it never did. I would urge everyone to stay home and watch advertisements on your tv,it would be better! Expand
  36. May 8, 2013
    I joined metacritic just so I could write this review. This was possibly the one of the worst movies I have ever seen--boring, disjointed. Technologically, it was good, but the movie and the plot were bad, bad, bad.
  37. May 7, 2013
    I'm glad they made a movie like this, I just wish they had hired better people to do it. There's always the potential for sci fi movies to shoot for artistic and fall squarely into autistic, and this is another one of those duds.. story doesn't hold up, visuals and plot are all stolen and a mixed bag, romance is rather week. The acting isn't as bad as you'd think, but they just don't have much to go on. Pick a theme and run with it, dammit, don't try to cover all your bases so obsessively. Expand
  38. May 6, 2013
    A very enjoyable experience with an excellent performance by Tom Cruise. The world is well-crafted and the plot is steady even if it is familiar. The visuals are gorgeous and I love the design of everything, from the firearms to the robots. The script can be pretty cheesy and inconsistent, but there are a lot of unexpected twists and turns. I honestly enjoyed seeing it and would recommend the film to anybody who wants a good sci-fi flick. Expand
  39. May 6, 2013
    Oblivion had a very strong intro up until the body arch of the movie it gives so much thrill and sends so much questions to the audience but then when all is about to explode into 7 colors, right before the hill of the climax, the movie turned down everyone and gave us an awful disappointment still it is a very interesting movie overall the acting was fine and the storyline was quite interesting up to almost the end where the solution the answers were not up to the point Expand
  40. May 6, 2013
    Leaving aside Tom Cruise haters, it is beyond me why anyone would give this movie less than a top mark. It has everything any science fiction buff would enjoy, put together in an outstanding and believable package. The cinematography is outstanding, with the animation well-integrated and an exceptional storyline.

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom
    Cruise's most recent science fiction movie, is not as polished or believable, yet garnered an 80 from critics. It would be a shame to believe that Phillip K. Dick is the reason for that rating. Dick is one of the best set piece science fiction writers, but does not reach for or achieve the breadth and vision of Oblivion.

Miss Oblivion in theaters at your own risk. This is one of a handful of movies whose small screen versions lose substantial impact on the small screen.
  41. May 5, 2013
    Great story though untypical, which I think is very welcome. Like one you might have read in the old Heavy Metal magazine. Really impressive sound work in this movie. My only negative criticism is that Oblivion might be about 20 mins. too long.
  42. May 5, 2013
    Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible
  43. May 5, 2013
    I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. The concept the movie presented was intriguing and left me asking more questions, which is what the directors wants the viewers to do. But that's also where the flaw of the movie comes from. There are just so many questions and concepts that I felt could have been explored more thoroughly. The ending felt rushed, and I was left feeling without a sense of closure. None the less, it's worth a watch. Expand
  44. May 5, 2013
    The atmosphere is terrifyingly believable for a post-apocalyptic movie compared to other movies of the genre, it's beautiful, but still creepy. The plot is too simple and complicated at the same time by a lack of information that pretends to call into question what would happen in a future controlled by technology.
  45. May 1, 2013
    An enjoyable sci-fi film, but very derivative and a little antiseptic from an emotional standpoint. The cinematography was absolutely stunning, and the score is gorgeous (a bit like late-period Kubrik scores). Movie fans should probably see this movie for these two aspects alone. As for the story, the basic premise is interesting and believable, but a lot of the touches (like the kid at the end) do not make much sense and really don't contribute to the overall story line or movie quality. And the twist...well, it's been done...and I'll leave it at that.

With a better director and some script editing, this could have been a masterpiece. As it stands, it is a decent movie with stunning visuals and soundtrack.
  46. May 1, 2013
    Oblivion was a waste of a good premise. The setting was very well done and the idea was interesting but too many cliched moments, an outright stupid villain, and an especially bad ending drag the whole movie down. I would recommend waiting until it's on Netflix or cable.
  47. Apr 30, 2013
    Once again Hollywood spends all their money on effects and ignores the script. The result? A poor story that fails to grab, meandering scenes that go no where and the usual collection of cheesy lines. I dry reached when he said he was 'home'. Hollywood seriously needs to grow up!
  48. Apr 30, 2013
    I enjoyed SEEING the film, but once I came outside, I realised the really wasn't that much to it, and I might've wasted my money seeing this in cinemas. I think they paid too much attention to "super cool" effects instead of giving the story more substance.
  49. Apr 29, 2013
    This is probably one of the worst science- fiction movies I have ever seen! Besides the good acting, it was confusing, boring, and just plain stupid! Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman are the only things about this movie that I actually liked. But trust me, their acting can't save this stinker.
  50. Apr 29, 2013
    Great until the "twist" then descends into very lazy, highly clichéd, heavily borrowed story telling. It does look great, the sound production is excellent which is the part I enjoyed the very most, but that is not a great compliment to the story when you think about it. The visuals very much reminded me of parts of Tron:Legacy in places. I felt immediately disappointed by the clumsy first twist, why do these films try to justify themselves with pointless twists? A straight forwards story would in my opinion have worked far better.

Heavily borrows from the by far more classy and atmospheric "Moon". What a shame, I can't help thinking that a much better version was created and then dumbed down by executives that know better. Acting was ok, Morgan was very much surplus to requirements and his character could've been played by anyone, in fact it may have been more plausible if an utter unknown was used, that's not to say that Morgan is bad, it's just that the writing was rather ham-fisted rendering poor Morgan somewhat pedestrian.
  51. Apr 29, 2013
    These film is the greatest movie that I have seen this year!!! I'm very satisfied with the quality oft the film. It has 4x times higher quality than HD, I like the story, it makes you feel confused a little, but that's the true meaning of making a movie... The beginning, the middle, the ending was very good, it surely a must watch movie!!!
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a
    perfect blend acting...
    I hope another kind like this film will be showed up...
    Getting excited for the future of film!!!
  52. Apr 29, 2013
    What happens when you take a handful of the best and most creative scenarios from other Sci-Fi films and merge them into one film in a interesting and cohesive way? The answer is called Oblivion.

This film is visually stunning at times. Tom Cruse doesn't over or under act in this film. (As he's been prone to in the past). The other actors sadly are little more than set dressing. But
    they fill their roles beautifully and you don't really notice. That's always been a problem with Sci-Fi, that the world is center stage and the actors less so. Oblivion is more guilty there than most films in the genre.

There are numerous plot twists in this film. Sadly none of them have the desired impact because we've seen more than a few of them before. And those that are "fresh" are foreshadowed from so far off they aren't really surprises when they happen. I think I had one "Oh. Interesting" moment and that was it.

I will give top marks to the people who created this shattered earth. It is rendered flawlessly (what parts aren't real) and there was a lot of detail put into spaces even if you only see them for half a second.

Overall this film is a top class flick. It merges a variety of ideas in a logical way. Though perhaps its over some audience members heads. I heard a woman say "So 52 is the real guy" on the way out. That's wrong. (But doesn't spoil anything.)
    There should be more true Sci-Fi films like this. But without the idea stealing. Because at the end of the day. This is a good movie. Because it has borrowed a little to heavily from other sources to be called great.
  53. Apr 28, 2013
    Everything about this film is AVERAGE. The acting is AVERAGE, the story is AVERAGE, and the action is AVERAGE. The only thing above AVERAGE in this film is the score and visuals. Everything in the film seems familiar. Most audiences that like this film haven't seen all the other movies it's stealing from. Films being ripped off include Moon, Independence Day, Star Wars, 2001 and The Matrix. The lack of originality makes this film extremely predictable because we've seen all these elements before. The movie is comprised of every science fiction cliche combined into one film and distributed to the public. If it was more original and more tightly constructed it would be a far more entertaining and thought provoking picture. But as it stands right now, it is AVERAGE. Expand
  54. Apr 28, 2013
    Complete yawn fest. This movie somehow makes even explosions and fighting boring. The story, if you can even call it that, is absurdly predictable. Morgan Freeman even tells you exactly how the movie will end in the first part of the movie, then you have to sit there and watch Tom Cruise flail about with a ludicrous and unbelievable romantic plot arc for 2 hours until the movie ends exactly how you knew it was going to.

I read the bad reviews and ignored them because I thought, "How bad can it be, I enjoy scifi B movies as it is" but no, this movie really is that bad. Save your money.
  55. Apr 28, 2013
    has a lot of action but I found my self lost in the story because there is a lot of different plotting and copies of people This movie you guys can pass on it isn't that good
  56. Apr 28, 2013
    When you know what is coming next all the suspense disapates and the movie is just so-so. Unfortunately, despite loving science fiction this was a by the numbers of other scify movies of the past. Nothing new and kind of slow to get going. Okay for a rainy day.
  57. Apr 28, 2013
    It was good but forgettable. almost everything that was good with it counteracted with a flaw. It did get boring in some.parts, but it did keep u on the edge of your seat and.keeps you guessing and not knowing til end
    like i said it was a good movie with some drawbacks but its nor something ill remember in 10 years like avatar. 7.5/10
  58. Apr 28, 2013
    This film was flawed in a lot of ways. Lots of effects, lots of irrational premises, poor casting, dumb story not well-told. Since AMC doesn't refund money for poor film-making, I sat through it.
    I usually like Tom Cruise movies, but this was one where I actually hoped he'd kill himself.
  59. Apr 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. La segunda película Joseph Kosinski es un confortable producto que genera bastante entretenimiento y así, hace que sus ciento veintiséis minutos de duración se pasen rápido y con buen sabor.

Jack Harper es uno de los humanos sobrevivientes a un conflicto con unos alienígenas llamados los carroñeros, quienes destruyeron la luna sesenta años atrás y obligaron a que la humanidad se marchara de la Tierra y en el proceso tuviera además, que secar los mares.
    Harper trabaja en una de las succionadoras, reparando droides de combate y demás maquinaria de la casa; sin embargo su rutinaria vida cambia cuando accidentalmente se topa con una astronauta sobreviviente al ya mencionado conflicto. Ella ha estado en suspensión criogénica durante la última década y tiene una misteriosa relación con Jack.

Al igual que con su ópera prima, Kosinski ofrece una joya audiovisual que presenta una fotografía espectacular, una producción de sonido maravillosa y un entretenidísimo Ost. No obstante como sigue y, al parecer, seguirá pasando en la industria del cine, guion y actuaciones son el punto débil de este viaje fantástico.

Los efectos especiales de Oblivion marcan un precedente este año (2013) y es por ello que las secuencias de acción son emocionantes y hasta cierto punto épicas. Los apartados de la película en donde el Ost se combina con los elementos visuales se sienten alucinantes y por momentos, rayan en lo increíble.
    Definitivamente los sonidos electrónicos aportan mucho a las composiciones musicales de las producciones sci-fi.

Uno de los mejores aspectos de la película es la producción de sonido, que crea rugidos, runrunes, silbidos y soniquetes tan únicos y especiales como para dar la importancia necesaria a droides de batalla no antropomorfos.
    Todos los sonidos en la película son tan buenos y creíbles que podrían compararse a los de Star Wars o a los de Disctric 9 en sus respectivas épocas.

Para hablar del guion es necesario empezar por las buenas intenciones, las cuales son: una gran matización en cuanto a temáticas del mundo de la ciencia ficción y tratar de tener datos ocultos; pero luego las intenciones se quedan cortas cuando los diálogos aparecen y dejan esa sensación de... así no funciona el habla. En fin, diálogos malos y una historia predecible que bajan el resultado final de un producto que pudo ser impresionante.

Luego de hablar de lo peor, el texto, puedo pasar a lo mejor: la fotografía de Claudio Miranda que tiene una iluminación perfecta y permite al director manejar la profundidad de campo a cabalidad. Además, cada paisaje es tan hermoso y vívido como en las ilustraciones originales de Kosinski.
    Una vez más el chileno, reciente ganador del Óscar, muestra su genial capacidad de concebir el mundo en imágenes y reproducirlas a favor del séptimo arte.

De las actuaciones no hay quejas, pero tampoco hay felicitaciones; no obstante hay que hacer mención especial a Olga “dos gestos” Kurylenko, quien con su mala actuación baja considerablemente la evaluación del elenco y resta ritmo a la fluidez con la que se desenvuelve la película en cada una de sus apariciones (por fortuna no tantas). Por tanto la ucraniana es la culpable del bajonazo en el nivel histriónico del film.

Bueno, la pregunta final es: ¿cubre el precio de la boleta Oblivion? Sí, vale la pena verla en teatros, al fin de cuentas es entretenida y es la mejor experiencia audiovisual no textual en lo que va del año. Como dije antes, por parajes se acerca a lo épico.

60. Apr 27, 2013
    Featuring some really great visuals, a stylish soundtrack, and two really good lead performances from Tom Cruise and Andrea Riseborough, the first forty minutes were absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, Oblivion includes a few too many predictable, unimportant, or borrowed plot twists that really made the film less satisfying than it could have been.
  61. Apr 27, 2013
    Its was very forgettable indeed the plot became clear half way through the film. Overall it was very predictable and generic. The movie could have been executed better but the characters were just lacking at times. I wish I could give it a higher score but it is very mediocre when it comes to the plot.
  62. Apr 27, 2013
    The soundtrack is amazing. Also, the design of the technology (bubble ship, drones, ocean processor machines) really makes me think back to being a kid and looking at drawings/paintings of what people thought the future would look like, and these would fit right in. I was quite happy with what I saw.
  63. Apr 27, 2013
    Oblivion is in many ways similar to Tron: Legacy, director Joseph Kosinski's previous film. It's visually beautiful, the design of it is incredible but at times the characters lack anything resembling character. However one way they differ is that Tron Legacy was a mess in terms of its story, the many turns and complex mythology it created made it an incredibly complicated and unintentionally dull picture.Oblivion is a wonderfully original story with eye popping effects. the film is set following a planetary war, a war which results were not the ones the defenders expected. The Earth has been ruined and 50 years later Jack Harper is left behind to maintain machines that are consuming earths few remaining resources. However when the arrival of fellow human Julia derails his routine he begins to question what he is doing on this ruined planet. Oblivion does provide thrills and excitement like a conventional action sci-fi, which is what the trailers implied the audience would get. However the film is much more of a mystery film about the inquisitive nature of mankind and the ultimate power of questioning you place in the world, the power in deciding ones own fate. It's a film that heavily relies upon its visuals so its probably a good thing they are truly breathtaking. The world created in the film is flawlessly realised with the landscape and machines that populate this new version of Earth amazing due to their original presentation. The film, based on Koskinski's graphic novel of the same name has a feeling of been there done that but only because the story is remarkably similar to another recent sci-fi picture, to name that film however would ruin part of this films wonderful mystery. The film central mystery is clever and touching but it does drag in the middle. The film is Cruise's and he is just as good as ever but the standout of the film is Andrea Riseborough who plays Jack's naive assistant Victoria, a woman so intent on leaving this Earth she ignores anything that makes her curious. Riseborough has a wonderful screen presence and her character in Oblivion is both tragic and strong and quite frankly she is the most interesting character in the very limited cast. Kurlyenko continues to shock me with yet another horrific performance, one that would ruin a film like this if she wasn't so unimportant to the films plot and if her character wasn't so thin and lifeless. Always playing the hard woman supposedly suits her but I have yet to see a single film she has impressed in, with To The Wonder showing she can't do soft either (although talking about acting and To The Wonder is like mixing oil and water.). Morgan Freeman is also present as a man Cruise must get answers from but he doesn't really have a character, instead he is a device to introduce plot or elaborate on previously developed plot points. It's a film that only really has two real characters but ultimately it's enough to be satisfied because those two characters are excellent and life the film beyond the Kurlyenko of it all. The film also works because the overall feel of it is so excellent, the finale while predictable is sufficiently inspiring and provides some much needed catharsis to a character who goes through the ringer. A final flashback near the end is the perfect scene addition to make the finale really stand out and leave the film with a extremely satisfying conclusion making it a terrific summer blockbuster, only in April. Expand
  64. Apr 27, 2013
    Mediocre. Cliched. Forgettable. Tom Cruise movi- ah that explains.

One of the most forgettable bland and altogether average films, that I have the displeasure of watching. Not only it is slow paced, confusing, characters are completely bland, it delivers nothing speculatar that hasn't been seen in other movies. Rent or purchase Independence Day, and save money from this mediocre film.
  65. Apr 27, 2013
    Oblivion is not one of the worst films of the year but it's not great either. The key thing about it is that it doesn't offer anything new as the director Joseph Kosinski said it pays homage to science-fiction films of 1970s. You will say, "Oh, I've seen it before!" a lot while watching it. Another problem is the pace of the film, which is extremely slow at the beginning. The plot takes a lot of time to take-off and that's how I found it boring but I forgot it eventually because the final 30-45 minutes of film are good. What's different about it is that it still manages to entertain you a little because it may not be original but the visual experience it gives you is astonishing, especially with Kosinski's vision and the better production value, it feels like the remixed version of all the sci-fi films released in the past. The best things about this film are its landscapes, the brilliant cinematography by none other than Claudio Miranda and the background score by M83 which is extremely wonderful. I am only disappointed because the main theme could've made it much better and a bigger film but that didn't happen. Acting wise, it's alright. Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman (I wanted to see more of him), Andrea Riseborough, Olga Kurylenko, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo, all of them are good at their roles. In short, the movie didn't waste my time but I can't rate it better than this because Kosinski didn't do justice to it. Expand
  66. Apr 26, 2013
    Its an interesting concept, but lacks real depth. It felt like there was a message in there, but it wasnt very clear. The plot twists are excellent however. Its worth renting definitely.
  67. Apr 26, 2013
    Oblivion is beautiful simulacrum! It is well acted and the dialog is sparse but proficient, its love story well rendered. Oblivion is also an auteurist work with deeper theoretical underpinnings. There is a very deliberate reason why it will remind you of other sci-fi films. not perfect but fascinating
  68. Apr 26, 2013
    a nicve clean sf-movie, fun to watch for the story and simply fun to look at for the style of the cinematography, SF-movies are few and far between (but getting more popular) but this is still a very good example of the genre, not to mention that the role of the lead is a dead ringer for Tom Cruise
  69. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I Loved the movie to a point.

The point where so many questions went unanswered, Yet I thought they would tie in with the end (Had to watch the movie twice just to make sure) and No.

And the one thing that bugged the crap out of me, your telling me this girl is fine with being in love with multiple men? She knows its not really him, But she tells him "Its the memories that make you." SO I guess that means shes just gonna love the memorys out of the man? lol. come on.
  70. Apr 25, 2013
    Oblivion is a hell of a film. It achieves what the Matrix Trilogy attempted to in one movie. A great follow up to his first movie, which was the Tron sequel.
  71. Apr 25, 2013
    Oblivion past my expectations, though they were not high to begin with. I suspected that the plot and the oncoming twist would be overly simple and most likely given away in the trailers, but I was surprised. The setting and atmosphere though somewhat generic to a post-apocalyptic flick, was quite a beauty to look at and the music perfectly added to the setting. Characters are a little flat and the opening 30 minutes follow a predictable format, its the last hour of the film that provide it its praise. You keep waiting for the inevitable twist and when it hits is obvious, but what the twist is isn't. MetaCritic provides a low score for such a pretty and engaging flick. Oblivion doesn't scream of new ideas and heartbreaking moments but what it does provide is exhilarating and interesting from beginning and definitely in the end. I have been waiting for some good films to come out this year, looks like Oblivion is a sign for the better. There is a reason the User Score is much higher than the Critic Score, its good to see a decent movie this year finally come out. Expand
  72. Apr 25, 2013
    Maybe it's because I'm not too well-versed with the sci-fi action genre but I thought the premise of Oblivion was an interesting one, though I can't judge on how "original" it may or may not be. The best element of this movie is easily the visuals, which are very expansive & detailed, especially in the chase & space scenes. The acting for the most part is solid, and the action can be really engaging. Also, the score is very well-written & effective, which I was honestly expecting since it was done by Anthony Gonzalez, the bandleader of M83, who I personally like. And the plot & writing are actually really good as well... for the first half. The second half is where problems start to arise. (SPOILERS START HERE) First the female lead Victoria becomes completely irrational & melodramatic when Jack explains that Julia was his wife before his memory was wiped (something Victoria somehow seemed to know beforehand) and even goes as far as to endanger his life & kick him out of his job. But then it's once Jack meets a clone of himself in the desert that things really start to crumble. Everything that happens afterwards (especially the parts with Morgan Freeman & his gang) just comes out of nowhere & has no real rhyme or reason to it. It all just feels really underexplained. I heard this was based on a book & that would make sense, since I imagine a lot of the details in the latter half got lost in translation. There's also little plotholes here & there (like why is there a dog just walking around unattended on Earth if all the resources have been destroyed? And what about everything with that island paradise-esque place Jack & Julia would occasionally go to? And how did they have a kid that's a few years old if Julia was the only survivor Jack found & the time between that & the ending scene was just a few days?) that can really take you out of the movie for a second. But like I said, the visuals & overall first half are enough to make watching this worthwhile. 71/100 Expand
  73. Apr 25, 2013
    I went to go see this with some friends not really expecting much and was not disappointed. The backgrounds and scenery of this movie were stunning to behold but it suffers the same way as Tron Legacy where it struggles to keep audience members drawn in and invested in the story/characters. It also has a very Looooonnggg and boring start and I could also see what movies it obviously drew from. Tom Cruise's acting was decent but I found his voice overs very hammy and drawing away from the dead seriousness of the movie and left me begging for Morgan Freeman to take over the narrations. And like I said before this movie takes itself dead serious too much in my opinion with nay a joke or humor in sight. so for a final verdict I find this movie okay but I just don't see any reason to watch it again and I will probably skip by it when it ends up being played on FX some day.

P.S this is my first review on this site.
  74. Apr 25, 2013
    A perfectly functional Sci-Fi movie with great CG and an interesting premise. Although I think various plot developments that were given away in the trailer ultimately reduced their impact in the film, it was still a solid, enjoyable movie.
  75. Apr 25, 2013
    Glad I paid no attention to the critics, saw the trailer, looked good, went to see it.
    I know many trailers look good and can and be rubbish, but I had a good feeling about this one.
    A few surprises and twists very cool film.
  76. Apr 25, 2013
    If you don't like a painfully simplistic and predictable plot and mediocre acting combined with generally good sound and visuals avoid unless you want a good laugh. I did laugh but that's not enough to compensate for the disappointment Oblivion is.
  77. Apr 25, 2013
    I mean what can I say not really the best syfi film but probably one of the most entertaining. Tom Cruise was eh...I only really like his Mission Impossible films but this was eh good 6. I mean I just dont have the words. All I can say is I expected more from seeing the trailer ever 3-4 commercial breaks on every channel I turn to. I just hope After Earth is better.
  78. Apr 24, 2013
    Oblivion was a title i had a particular interest in when i saw the trailers, especially with morgan freeman having what appeared to be an interesting character.
    unfortunately...it fails to deliver in every aspect that a movie needs.

Oblivion is set in almost 70 years in the future after earth has been invaded, and after the war was won, earth was left ravaged causing everyone to leave
    to a colony on titan (one of Saturn's moons)
    which had a great concept behind it, unfortunately the movie fails to capitalize on it, or even execute that story. the story takes backtracks, and then immediately changes gears for no good reason.

i've seen many people praise the twists this movie presents, however they are not as "gasp omg" as some would have you think. every twist is heavily foreshadowed at least 20 minutes before they happen. i was able to predict just about everything in this movie, without issues. and here is another problem we have. because of the movie's attempts to cash in on twists and well-known cast, the movie fails to connect the dots. no event makes sense in this film. i will not spoil details, but you should know that containment capsules don't come from tom cruise's and children aren't born because a clone happens to be on the planet and not meet the mother until after the child is born.

now we delve into the characters...there aren't any. if there are, the movie once again fails to capitalize. jack harper's back-story is manipulated in every way possible throughout the movie' and meanwhile everyone else's back-story is ignored, considered irrelevant over jack harper's character. they have little to no dialogue, and when they talk it's in cliche format. morgan's character can be estimated to be that of a wise-man set to stop gratuitous fighting on what's left of earth.

unfortunately once again, he has little to no dialogue, and the best part beyond that is that most of the characters you won't even get to see until the last 15 minutes of the film.

and now i proceed onto the setting of the film.
    people have praised the visuals to no end, but what many are failing to see, is that the visuals are more given to what's not on the ground. tom cruise's suit looks like a mix between a biker suit, and softball base plates. the world is barren and undetailed. every structure is grey and hints of rust for the metal. the drones and non-earth structures; such as the tent, are admittedly visually pleasing. but these aspects play very little into the movie, as for the most part, jack is on the ground and doesn't see the drones or sophisticated machines. so it looks barren and plain..

the more i watched of this film, the lower i felt the need to rate it, it is garbage. i severely advise you not to see this film, it is 25 dollars best spent on another film.
  79. Apr 24, 2013
    It's yet another post apocalyptic world, this time with Tom Cruise as one of the survivors. His job is to maintain droids that patrol the wasteland, until things happen that set the plot in motion. While the story isn't especially original and the action sequences are only average, the rest is pretty cool. This world has neat futuristic stuff, dazzling scenery and great design. While it's 15 minutes too long, it's a scifi treat for the imagination. Expand
  80. Apr 24, 2013
    Glad to see that the user score on this site is about right despite what the critics say. This is an honest sci-fi action movie, not overly pretentious, not trying to seem deep and philosophical when it is not. The story is not something out of the ordinary, but neither it is a standard (as in completely braindead) Hollywood story. It feels like a mix of classical sci-fi movies, but not in a dumb copycat way. Yes, it left some questions unanswered, but still it worked for me and I was not facepalming every ten minutes which is more what I can say about most of the recent sci-fi movies. And it looks amazing too. Expand
  81. Apr 24, 2013
    I don't understand how everyone hates this movie. I found it to be really enjoyable and exciting to watch, this might not be for the all out action movie fans, they can go watch mission impossible or something, but for everybody else I strongly recommend this movie, it's romantic, it's dramatic, there is quite alot of action, there are great characters and there is a nice backstory to everything. I just would've liked seeing more of what happened pre invasion and where this enemy came from. Expand
  82. Apr 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you can escape a couple of major plot holes, I found the film an entertaining escape. As opposed to some of the other reviewers, I found the plot easy to understand and interesting. However, the execution in the film left a bit to be desired: i.e. why didn't the humans inform Jack of his situation when they first met? why didn't jack's wife tell him who she was immediately? why did the humans hail the orbiting escape pod from earlier knowing all the people on board would be killed? how? why now 60 years later? The film is littered with these questions (very Prometheus-esque). So believing it all was a bit of an effort, unfortunately. ...could have been a much better film. ...shame. Expand
  83. Apr 23, 2013
    if it wasn't for the overall look, this movie would be a way worse score. the plot takes a huge dive. there are so many questions that are asked, but never really answered to the fullest, and the over all feel is just weak. the visuals are great, but the story just drags on to a unsatisfactory conclusion.
  84. Apr 23, 2013
    And confusing at first, but if one becomes unfold esperiencia rewarding packs for one of the most beautiful visuals I've ever seen, and this makes up the scenes of action generic and emotionless unalterable in the final evaluation
  85. Apr 23, 2013
    This movie both pleased me and irked me. The story was generic, all though I do like this form of story. In fact I actually enjoyed the story. The plot is slowly and subtly leaked to the viewers over time. About 40 minutes away from the end the plot is fully realized. The movie is about two hours ten minutes long, what irks me about this time is that half the movie is pointless travel scenes. These scenes did not build the story nor did they really build suspense. Tons of plot twists, and you have to pay attention to really enjoy it. The movie is not really action oriented, only about 20 minutes are actually devoted to action, the rest is all story. I like these types of movies but in the end the pointless travel scenes really ruined it for me. 5 out of 10 for poor direction but decent story. Expand
  86. Apr 23, 2013
    You can read my review of the Tom Cruise science fiction action thriller "Oblivion" here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/oblivion.html
  87. Apr 23, 2013
    Krasinski's involvement gave me trepidations because of the miasma that was Tron: Legacy's plot. This outing proves he can do more than just visuals. Excellent performances all around and a great third act. This one has some depth. Great soundtrack from M83 as well.
  88. Apr 23, 2013
    It's not all bad, the scenery and special effects were excellent, as were the two female Costars. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who did a good job as a sidekick to Morgan Freeman and has gained recent notoriety in the Game of Thrones show.
    The bad was that of course we've seen this post-apocalyptic plot regurgitated so many times in a few
    weeks you will have trouble remembering what stood out about this film.
    Finally, the really ugly is Hollywood's continuous insult to our intelligence when casting lead actors. America is so deeply weary of being reminded Tom Cruise is the most amazing man in the universe... Note to Hollywood: please give Cruise a rest.
  89. Apr 23, 2013
    Story has been told before and better in a number of movies. Non original script, plastic characters, boring development. If not for the amazing set pieces and the few action scenes that are done well this would have been a disaster of a film.
  90. Apr 23, 2013
    The plot felt like chunks of Logans Run, The Island, Moon... the production values were great, the set design was sleek, the soundtrack by M83 reminded me in bits of Vangelis work from Blade Runner... Tom Cruise was being Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman doing his wise old guy that knows whats really going on... the plot was pretty underwhelming, the acting was like an old director of mine used to say "talking props"... the summer movie season is here... this film is for popcorn consumption and hot-sun avoidance purposes... and about 30 minutes too long (didn't need to go to cabin with Olga before final act) Expand
  91. Apr 23, 2013
    An unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency is significantly above average (with few and insignificant gaffes or inexplicable moments and absolutely no major plot holes Thank you!), the pacing wasn't frantic or boring with exposition of characters and backstory well-spaced throughout the movie. I'll probably go see it again, just because movies like this are too few and far in between. Expand
  92. Apr 22, 2013
    Sadly an underrated movie here on metacritic, fairly close to the movie "moon" from an ideological perspective. I was pleasantly surprised to have my (low) expectations exceeded from Hollywood movie. The critics claim the movie does not ask any real questions, or that it does not answer any, but to be honest Oblivion does have it's finer points. One has to wonder if Oblivion is asking the question that no one really wants to know the answer to. Expand
  93. Apr 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although I enjoyed Oblivion there were moments where I found myself beginning to lull. I certainly am not knocking the film for it's obvious nods and similarities to other sci-fi because there's nothing wrong with that but it never really is able to wow or fully grasp my attention. I really enjoyed the first part of the movie where you are initially introduced to the character and the setting. This kind of apocalyptic setting is one of my favorites and it really shines in this film. Unfortunately there's never any draw towards the character and in my opinion Cruise was lackluster. He seemed very forced throughout the film and unnatural. Much like reading a Stephen King novel (especially It) as soon as I discovered what the aliens were (humans) it was a meh moment, not to mention the fact that if you see a trailer for a movie you can guess what's going to happen. They really tried to throw in as much as they could, what with clones, droids, etc. Nothing just ever seemed to hold any weight. I was expecting an epic battle of thousands of Tom Cruises being sent to destroy the human resistance but instead the evil entity sent two drones. That for me was a let down, I certainly expected a big bang of a battle but was underwhelmed. I enjoyed seeing Nikolaj Coster-Waldau but his character was so underdeveloped, he was just a familiar face. The story overall took a lot from other films but never gave the audience anything to hold onto. There's certainly a homage to Hal 9000 but didn't give me the eerie feeling as a Space Odyssey did. All in all I thought the movie was an enjoyable one time experience and that's all it needed to be. It wasn't able to hold the atmosphere for the entire movie, only the beginning. Here's my biggest beef with the film; the ending. Tom Cruise flies into the evil triangle up in space with a nuke set to destroy it and put an end to the drones so humanity and repopulate Earth. The main issue here is from the beginning of the movie to the end-ish, the drones scan everything to tell if they're a threat or friend. Not here, not after Tom Cruise had defied Tet (Hal 9000) and just let him stroll on through with a nuke. Oh, and Morgan Freeman. Apparently they didn't want to check that the passenger he had with him was his wife but instead it was Morgan Freeman with a nuke. Whereas earlier in the film the drones could even pick up his DNA particles in the air but they can't tell the difference between a white lady and a black man. It just didn't add up for me. Why would this super being even care about the survivor in the first place when it had just blasted them before. It seemed like an easy cop out. Then it goes back to earth and one of his clones meets up with his wife who apparently gave birth on her own and he intends to fill in as the father/husband role. I imagine it will be really awkward when they find the other 998 Tom Cruise's scouring the planet, maybe they'll take turns being the father/husband. Who knows! Expand
  94. Apr 22, 2013
    A lot of what critic say about this movie is true, but I still feel it is scored low. You will know every reference if you have been a sci-fi fan for the last 10 years. If not, then this is a great movie to start loving the genre. People may call this unoriginal but that's unfair. Fantasy and Sci-fi are tough genres to explore new grounds (in a single movie especially) without overly complicating the story causing it to drag on. It is not boring, overacted, or too long. The real draw to see this in theaters is the special effects and is worth it. Everything looks and sounds natural with a good soundtrack. Expand
  95. Apr 22, 2013
    Oblivion is an eye candy movie disguised as a post-apocalyptic science fiction flick. Throughout the entire film I saw not only movie elements I had seen many times before, but also nearly every Tom Cruise character of note. I saw three Jacks (Jack from Legend, Jack from Jack Reacher, and Jack from Oblivion), Maverick, Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder, John Anderton from Minority Report, and Ethan Hunt. I like Cruise but without a compelling story I just kept seeing him in every other role (and jumping on Oprah's couch a few times). This movie could have been great but alas was barely good. Time for Cruise to play a 50 year old character for once and give up on the 30-something heroes. Expand
  96. Apr 22, 2013
    Oblivion is a unsurprisingly great film, I had no doubts that it would be "great" ever since I saw the trailer; I didn't lose faith in it after seeing it's mediocre reviews. I disagree with most of them. Oblivion is thrilling with it's explosive action and mind-boggling yet great story-line. The director lets you get to know the characters immensely well (with one or two exceptions...); he also manages to grab your emotions and lets you hang on the edge of your comfy seat/chair. It's not immensely intense or thrilling, but is to a nice extent. The actors portray their characters well, the cinematography is great, the music is good, the story is awesome all these things are great, but not phenomenal: so I give this film an... 8.4/10! Expand
  97. Apr 22, 2013
    Very good and thoughtful sci-fi flick. Underrated here by the critics. I know it's mixing apples and oranges, but when metacritic gives this a 55 and the lame show Two Broke Girls a 66 you know there is something wrong with this site.
  98. Apr 22, 2013
    The visuals are great. While watching it you will be reminded of many other Sci-Fi films, and Tom Cruise has played this same character many times. It kept me intrigued until the end but the ending was eye-rollingly bad. The whole movie became unbelievable at that point (are the super intelligent aliens really that stupid?). I also thought the soundtrack was annoying at times. Not a horrible film, but it won't be a blu-ray purchase. Expand
  99. Apr 22, 2013
    I didn't think I'd like the movie mainly because I'm not a huge TC supporter but, I must say, this movie actually blew me away. Not to the extend of going on a limb and giving it a total 10 in the scoring but it was entertaining enough to deserve a solid 8. The movie completely held my attention from beginning to end. It's one of those scifi flicks that will definitely keep you the edge of your seat. It has a good amount of mystery and plot twists in it too which makes for the type of movie that you can buy once out on bluray and watch again and again without getting too bored too quickly (and without feeling like you wasted a good amount of on the purchase). Yeah, it may have elements from movies like Wall-e, or even others that deal with themes of earthling annihilation and resource stripping but, all-in-all, the movie brings a new amount of new "stuff" to the screen including eye candy technology. I'll see it again but I'm still not a TC supporter. Expand
  100. Apr 22, 2013
    I good, but not a great movie. Tom Cruise (whom I'm not a fan of) does a great job in this film. The plot is reminiscent of the movie "The Island". The world is beautiful, effect are not over done, and the is music fantastic.

Where the score comes down is there are some scenes that are a little too long. There are also parts that are over explained, that i find dumbs the movies down for