7.0

1. Aug 31, 2014
    "If we have souls, they are made of the love we share... undimmed by time and bound by death." - Jack Harper

Seriously..i expect to be a great movie with these actors.Morgan Freeman, Tom Cruise..but no. Is another CGI movie with no sense.
  2. Aug 29, 2014
    There are many problems with Oblivion, but ultimately, I am willing to write them off for a couple of reasons. For one, the cinematography is fantastic. The set/production design is brilliant and is captured perfectly by the camera at every turn. The special effects are also very well done. The battle sequences, the weapons, the ships, the everything, all brilliantly thought out and planned. The acting, particularly from Tom Cruise, is also great. The plot itself is a bit hit-and-miss, but as a whole, it is interesting and entertaining enough. However, the plot can get caught up in itself frequently and I felt like it was trying to be deep at times, but kind of missed the mark there. In addition, there are certainly some plotholes as they blend many different science fiction films (Moon being a recent example of one they borrowed from) to make one mishmash of a film. However, luckily, the acting and imagery are great enough to make me ignore those concerns and allow me to lose myself in the film. Not the best film ever, but a damn entertaining one that has some great production elements. Expand
  3. Jul 24, 2014
    Okay so you've Morgan Freeman on board for your film project, AND HE'S BORING, OR HE'S BORED, PROBABLY BOTH!

Any questions?

There's this thing called a script...okay..and what you do is MATURE AND CURE THE SCRIPT SO MORGAN F'N FREEMAN IS NOT BORING!!!!
  4. Jul 14, 2014
    Many people have addressed that the film seems almost, “routine" in a sense, because many of the themes portrayed in the film are reminiscent to those from other films before it. However, these criticisms go very far and completely state that “there is nothing special about this film, it’s a blatant rip off of hundreds of sci-fi films before it." I have to disagree.

There is much to
    love about oblivion, in fact, it’s first half has possibly some of the most creative aspects of a story and setting I've seen. Expand
  5. Jun 26, 2014
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. For those who are sci-fi addicts this may be bland and forgetable, but those somewhat new to movies will enjoy it. Personally, I really just enjoyed this a lot. I'm sure if i go back and watch it again, it'll have more plot holes and errors than I remember. But I'd rather just remember being entertained for two hours, and leave that memory in the sweet land of nostalgia. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.

(Now I'm expecting Edge of Tomorrow to be even better than this because it was similar in format, a blend of sci-fi, and managed to pull it off even better.)
  6. Jun 17, 2014
    Great setting, great World, great Visuals, great robotics, the first hour or so is quite good, but after the aliens true identity is revealed, Things start going from bad to worse. Not a very good ending. All in all a mediocre scifi Flick.
  7. Jun 14, 2014
    Okay film but Tom cruise got in the way of the more interesting characters played by Morgan Freeman and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. The story is okay and the CGI is very good however the movie was a Tom Cruise cash-in with little weight. It plays the audience for a fool with twists that anyone who see's the trailer will be able to spot miles away.

The ludicrous ending really sums up the
    stupidity of it all however, it IS worth your time if you can't get enough sic-fi but I wouldn't bother unless you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Expand
  8. Jun 13, 2014
    Oblivion is a decent sci-fi flick. It has decent acting, a decent plot and decent special effects. Tom Cruise puts on a great show, as usual and so do the supporting actors. Unfortunately, it suffers from something I like to call "WHY DON'T YOU JUST TELL THE OTHER PERSON WHAT'S GOING ON"-dialogue deficiency syndrome.

You see, no one seems to bothered to tell someone what is REALLY going
    on when they need the information the most. Like say when you're about to kill someone but you want to make them do something for you but instead of telling them what's going on, you just kind of make them guess as to your intentions even though they probably would agree with you right off the bat IF YOU JUST TELL THEM WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW.

Oblivion isn't the only sci-fi movies that seems to suffer from that problem but it's glaringly obvious in at least three very important scenes. For some reason directors think it builds suspense when characters don't open their mouths and internalize everything so that they can justify the violence and special effects that follow next.

That's my gripe with this movie. Other than that, I thought it was quite good. Must-see for any sci-fi fan.
  9. Jun 13, 2014
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this movie but moreover the director and writer does an amazing job. It was gripping and will keep you guessing until the end. One of the best films of the year!
  10. Jun 11, 2014
    The cinematography...wow. The first time you watch, it felt inadequate as the plot is somewhat prosaic. If you watch it the second time and pay attention to the details rather than the general picture, there is much breathtaking artistry.
  11. Jun 11, 2014
    What saves "Oblivion" from being a complete disaster is the stunning visual scenarios and once again, a good performance from Tom Cruise. But, not of that points can compensate the boring story and confusing narrative.
  12. Jun 9, 2014
    This movie got me! From the thrilling storyline to the excellent soundtrack by M83 (Inspired By Hans Zimmer) Joseph Kosinski brings you into a visually unique wasted planet earth! The rhythm is fast and you don't have time to get bored, it constantly leaves the watcher wondering what's gonna happen next? Until It Is all revealed in due time. Best psychological Sci-fi movie I have seen in a while and I Highly recommend It! Expand
  13. Jun 7, 2014
    This movie was amazing to me. The art style was spot on and the story was very well done.

Tom Cruise made you feel like you were part of the struggle during the movie. The plot twist toward the end left me going saying "oh S**t!"

Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick
    finish.. I felt a little robbed so I couldn't give this movie a 10.. but, still if your reading this.. GO SEE IT! Expand
  14. Jun 2, 2014
    A movie, so subtle and yet so powerful! That alone, is an achievement. It's visually extremely impressive.. The imagery here is the storyteller, not the dialogue. The story is by far not original - but it serves us some good surprises. It's perhaps more an art film and that is excellent! The soundtrack is quite simply one of the best I've heard in a long time. This movie continues what Moon and Prometheus started with.. The return of real science-fiction. Expand
  15. May 25, 2014
    A surprisingly decent Sci-Fi film nothing special but good enough for me to at least watch it unlike "After Earth". I'm really not a fan of Tom Cruise the only movies of his that iv'e actually watched and liked in the past 10 years was Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol. Well he barely in Tropic Thunder though when he was he was super funny so it was cool to see him in another decent film that i liked. Some fantastic use of CGI everything was top notch and didn't look overly fake.

Story wasn't really that great and it seemed like half way through the movie they decided to throw in multiple sci-fi movie cliches and it just didn't all come together right. Morgan Freeman was barley in this and when he was it still wasn't anything special sure there at the end he has some great scenes but it just wasn't enough.

Overall i give a 6.5 definitely thought this could have been better but for a Tom Cruise movie it really wasn't that bad and worth a watch if you like sci-fi.
  16. Apr 21, 2014
    Muy buena, la recomiendo. Todo sorprende, la trama y las imagenes. Desde el comienzo hasta el final te mantiene boquiabierto. Tremendjo trabajo senor director.
  17. Apr 9, 2014
    A really good sci-fi spoiled by being far too long and drawn out and some stupid additions in the story not least at the every end. Its still OK but it could have been much much better if a lot of the rubbish had been cut out.
  18. Mar 23, 2014
    Oblivion is what a good science fiction film should look like - sleek, stunning, and incredibly beautiful. The effects are just the right amount of set/props and CGI, the camera work is excellent and captures both the most intimate and epic moments, and just in general there are plenty of landscapes and shots in the film that make you say "Wow".

Where the film falters a bit though is in
    its story.

While the cast is small and talented (this is Tom Cruise's best most recent work) and the script focused the movie suffers from numerous pacing issues, avenues left unexplained or unexplored, a few predictable twists, and some questionable "stereotypical" sci-fi tropes.

However I think what really undermined the film was that the trailer gave away a "twist" that takes up nearly half the movie - thus making it impossible to feel the mystery and thrill that it clearly wants you to.

Either way Oblivion is a solid contemporary science fiction film that offers something unique and sorely missed in today's tired guns-blazing space epics.
  19. Mar 18, 2014
    Let me make this short and to the point. Is this movie good? Indeed it is. Will you remember it in a decade? Probably not. There is nothing mind blowing or necessarily original about this film, but while it may take different aspects of other Sci-Fi media, it manages to execute it in a successful manner. That, in my eyes, makes it a worthy title for the genre when understanding that many others like it are not so lucky. I would recommend Oblivion for those who enjoy slower paced Sci-Fi films, but I can not say the same for those who do not. This is not a must see, but when considering that Oblivion does feature a cast of Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman, maybe that is enough to please film goers who do not typically go for these kinds of movies. So in closing, good film, fun casting, but nothing amazing. Expand
  20. Mar 17, 2014
    Great movie. Much better than war of the worlds, good acting from tom cruise.
    A bit horrifying at times, maybe not the best word to use. But, good sci-fi story and movie.
    Great casting all throughout.
  21. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the worst movie I've ever seen. The only reason I saw this movie was because I saw that Morgan Freeman was in it and I was like "Hey Morgan Freeman's in it it couldn't possibly suck really bad" yet it definitely did. My main (emphasis on "main" meaning definitely not limited to) problem with this disgrace of-a-movie is that it makes no sense. I don't know if one can message me on Meta critic but if you can could someone please attempt to explain this movie to me. This is me at the movie:

So there's a guy and he's like a clone i guess? Wait what? Who? How? When? Where? I went to the movie with my mom and it took our brainpower together about 2 days to sort of figure out what this movie was about.
  22. Mar 8, 2014
    Even though Oblivion isn't that bad -- with its beautiful cinematography and visually stunning images -- it just seems kind of mainstream.

Story was decent enough I guess, but there were some flaws in it and logic had to be suspended. In fact, at some scenes, I thought I was sitting in Inception! So, some of the flaws include: Morgan Freeman's character. This is the first (and hopefully
    last) time I will say this... Morgan Freeman was not right for this role, even though he did a good job.

Plot holes.

Too many silence scenes; no enough action scenes.

and finally, illogical scenes and bad editing.

Overall, this was a slightly too long movie that tried to be more than it was, with a mainstream story line, but very visually stunning cinematography.
  23. Feb 25, 2014
    Great cinematography and special effects, but those things don't save movies from bad scripts and bobble-heads named Bob. Nor do they save them from bobble-heads named Cruise - Even if he does play a better future man, that he does a Hollywood actor. By the way, in my future, douches won't get to call themselves Cruise, or Edge, or Sting.
  24. Feb 18, 2014
    I can't think of a movie I've seen recently which has been more unfairly reviewed. Oblivion has been called dull, overlong and the performances lacking in humanity. When you follow the plot of the movie through to the end, you will realise how ludicrous the last charge is. This film is a stunning homage to 70s sci-fi - but pre-Star Wars 70s sci-fi. So if you're looking for trash compactors, and trash-talking space princesses look elsewhere. Oblivion paints an epic landscape of barren post-apocalyptic wastelands, the sleekest technology populated only by an odd Adam-and-Eve pairing - sensual but alienated. All becomes clear in the fullness of time, and the mystery unfolds, deliciously, I think. There are themes here, the most obvious being ecological, but also in relationship to the role of memory in identity. For some there may be too many long shots and musings between the set-pieces, but these too are beautifully shot and nicely set up. Expand
  25. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible. I give it like a 9.4 really, but that is not an option. Only one thing, the scene where they for whatever reason decide to roll out the drone and then get attacked once they open the doors (why not wait until night? where were the scouts that caught one drone and sounded the alarm earlier? why not just open the doors and tell it to LAUNCH form where it is inside instead of putting it on a tractor? was a total Hollywood scene just to have people shoot, die, get blown up, win with losses...dumb for an otherwise brilliant movie). The scenery is amazing, the musical score is brilliant, acting phenomenal, story great (yes they did steal a few things from a few games/books/movies (Independence Day seems like the obvious, but there were sci-fi books with this plot even before, like Footfall). All around outstanding movie that should've scored higher than it did. If you like sci-fi, watch this film! Expand
  26. Feb 12, 2014
    Oblivion: One of the most boring films of 2013. The best thing about the film were its visuals, the movie actually looks very pretty in terms of visual effects even though most of the movie is set in a wasteland earth. Everything else though is absolute garbage, the story is so crap that a 6th grader could have written it and none of the characters were likeable at all. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman do what they can with the roles they have been given, but they end up being ok amongst all the other stiff characters. To put it nicely, Oblivion is a boring, pretty and awful movie. Expand
  27. Feb 6, 2014
    Oblivion is an interesting and entertaining movie, but once I figured out what was going on, I felt kind of let down.I guess I just wanted something different, but overall this was a good movie. Always worth Watching when Moran Freeman is part of the cast.
  28. Feb 1, 2014
    An inoffensive enough science fiction adventure, not terrible, but not without it's flaws. Oblivion is insubstantial, at its core, it wastes little to no time on the how, why or when and travels from point A to B in a relatively simple manner. Some nice cinematography, costumes and effects help what appears to be a predictable pastiche of every piece of pop sci fi. Worth a watch.
  29. Jan 23, 2014
    An enjoyable enough film for sci-fi fans. The setup is interesting, but the plot gets a little hackneyed as the movie goes on. The cast is solid and Tom Cruise does his best Tom Cruise impression. Some of the visuals are quite striking, the action scenes are good, and the soundtrack is always epic (sometimes too much so). A fun movie to watch if you like sci-fi.
  30. Jan 16, 2014
    I opened a metacritic account just to come here and vent a little about this movie, which I just finished watching. To put it subtly, "Oblivion" was a steaming pile of horse manure, not unlike that which was dumped today in front of the French parliament building. These Scientologist creeps need to quit making post-apocalyptic heaps of dung like "Oblivion" and "After Earth", which I didn't even see and won't now that I've lost two hours of my life to the husk of an actor that was Tom Cruise and his pair of helpless, flat leading ladies. Good thing men are always around to save the useless women in this movie! Women do NOTHING but sit by helplessly until at one point one of them picks up a gun and in spite of being a military-trained flight officer, fumbles with it and finally requires a penis to come save her. I guess by saying the premise of this movie is STUPID I'm also saying that Scientology is stupid, so there: go ahead and watch "Oblivion" if you think you're going to live forever and have the hours to spare, because you'll NEVER get that time back. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.