7.0

1. Jan 26, 2015
    The problem with this film is not that its cliché and combo of parts from other SF films, its in a way it sets up itself from the very beginning. In the very first 5 min. of the film you can guess all that is going to happen-the main story, the twists, everything. Narration is a cheap way of doing exposition and when there is so much of it, that shows how bad the script is-show me don'tThe problem with this film is not that its cliché and combo of parts from other SF films, its in a way it sets up itself from the very beginning. In the very first 5 min. of the film you can guess all that is going to happen-the main story, the twists, everything. Narration is a cheap way of doing exposition and when there is so much of it, that shows how bad the script is-show me don't tell me.
    Tom Cruise is ok, a little bit hamming it out but its not like he's acting even if great could save the film.
    Olga Kurylenko is an actress similar to younger Sophie Marceau- visually stunning and can have face full of emotions, acting through silence but her character is not convincing here- just a pretty face- did not buying for a second that she's who she claimed to be.
    Andrea Riseborough is a little bit better but even she flats out. Her character is the only one remotely interesting.
    In a triangle of these 3 people it could be an interesting drama even if SF part is bad. But it wants to be an action blockbuster first and there it fails miserably.
    At the end, I liked the art direction, the house, the machines, the visuals, Andreas dress.
    And the music had good cyberpunk/techno beat to it.
  2. Jan 13, 2015
    Not perfect, not always original, but still hugely enjoyable, well-played and beautiful shot; "Oblivion" may not have the full package of "Edge of Tomorrow", but it's still another example of how well Cruise does Sci-Fi ("Minority Report", "War of the Worlds"). Underrated and worth a watch. Also looks great on Blu-ray.
  3. Dec 31, 2014
    Only the intro was brilliant and some more 15 minutes then just some loose script.The concepts where great for a science-fiction film instead of sticking to the plot the film went for character elements.
  4. Dec 13, 2014
    Oblivion captures the imagination well. The story is up to scratch as are the incredible visuals and the appropriately selected music. Tom Cruise puts in a strong performance in a role a bit different to that we are used to seeing him in. It has the ability to swiftly change in it's approach to the viewer. This delivers a sense of mystery to the story's outcome and furthers our intrigue.Oblivion captures the imagination well. The story is up to scratch as are the incredible visuals and the appropriately selected music. Tom Cruise puts in a strong performance in a role a bit different to that we are used to seeing him in. It has the ability to swiftly change in it's approach to the viewer. This delivers a sense of mystery to the story's outcome and furthers our intrigue. It's flaws are obvious though. The story contains very few characters and can feel quite empty at times as a result. The ending is unsatisfying in comparison to the rest of the story which makes us feel slightly foolish for allowing our intrigue to get ahead of itself. Nevertheless, it is a satisfying sci-fi flick that delivers an experience that cannot be found elsewhere. Expand
  5. Dec 8, 2014
    Engaging and beautiful. A well paced and thoughtful tale in this era of vacuous explosions. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise but I have to admit he plays this role well, and is well supported, especially by Andrea Riseborough.
  6. Nov 13, 2014
    "Oblivion" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Good: Solid idea with decent enough execution. The concept at it's core is a good one and there are moments where I was genuinely entertained. While Cruise was merely adequate, Andrea Riseborough turns in a great performance. The Bad: Far too many scenes and ideas are direct rip offs of other films. Even during moments where the film
    "Oblivion" 10 Scale Rating: 6.0 (Decent) ...

The Bad: Far too many scenes and ideas are direct rip offs of other films. Even during moments where the film starts to get good, the scenes are ultimately ruined by a lack of originality.
  7. Nov 8, 2014
    Oblivion works as a technical frontier and benefits from a fine performance from Tom Cruise but on a narrative scale, falls flat from a script that confuses instead of resolving logic gaps.
  8. Oct 12, 2014
    Despite having outstanding visuals and a fantastic soundtrack and even some pretty good performances,the inconsistency of the plot and nonexistent coherency makes this movie nothing more than a popcorn flick.
  9. Oct 12, 2014
    It might not be the best science fiction movie 2013, but this movie gives a good adventure and a few unexpected twists with some good visual effects. (68 - 100)
  10. Sep 27, 2014
    This is the one of the best soundtracks i've ever heard and one of the best sci-fi movies i've ever seen. I can watch it over and over.
    Both have a magical atmosphere. I wish more movies like this.
  11. Aug 31, 2014
    "If we have souls, they are made of the love we share... undimmed by time and bound by death." - Jack Harper

Seriously..i expect to be a great movie with these actors.Morgan Freeman, Tom Cruise..but no. Is another CGI movie with no sense.
  12. Aug 29, 2014
    There are many problems with Oblivion, but ultimately, I am willing to write them off for a couple of reasons. For one, the cinematography is fantastic. The set/production design is brilliant and is captured perfectly by the camera at every turn. The special effects are also very well done. The battle sequences, the weapons, the ships, the everything, all brilliantly thought out andThere are many problems with Oblivion, but ultimately, I am willing to write them off for a couple of reasons. For one, the cinematography is fantastic. The set/production design is brilliant and is captured perfectly by the camera at every turn. The special effects are also very well done. The battle sequences, the weapons, the ships, the everything, all brilliantly thought out and planned. The acting, particularly from Tom Cruise, is also great. The plot itself is a bit hit-and-miss, but as a whole, it is interesting and entertaining enough. However, the plot can get caught up in itself frequently and I felt like it was trying to be deep at times, but kind of missed the mark there. In addition, there are certainly some plotholes as they blend many different science fiction films (Moon being a recent example of one they borrowed from) to make one mishmash of a film. However, luckily, the acting and imagery are great enough to make me ignore those concerns and allow me to lose myself in the film. Not the best film ever, but a damn entertaining one that has some great production elements. Expand
  13. Jul 24, 2014
    Okay so you've Morgan Freeman on board for your film project, AND HE'S BORING, OR HE'S BORED, PROBABLY BOTH!

Any questions?

There's this thing called a script...okay..and what you do is MATURE AND CURE THE SCRIPT SO MORGAN F'N FREEMAN IS NOT BORING!!!!
  14. Jul 14, 2014
    Many people have addressed that the film seems almost, “routine" in a sense, because many of the themes portrayed in the film are reminiscent to those from other films before it. However, these criticisms go very far and completely state that “there is nothing special about this film, it’s a blatant rip off of hundreds of sci-fi films before it." I have to disagree.

There is much to

There is much to love about oblivion, in fact, it’s first half has possibly some of the most creative aspects of a story and setting I've seen.
  15. Jun 26, 2014
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage toWhile it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. For those who are sci-fi addicts this may be bland and forgetable, but those somewhat new to movies will enjoy it. Personally, I really just enjoyed this a lot. I'm sure if i go back and watch it again, it'll have more plot holes and errors than I remember. But I'd rather just remember being entertained for two hours, and leave that memory in the sweet land of nostalgia. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.

(Now I'm expecting Edge of Tomorrow to be even better than this because it was similar in format, a blend of sci-fi, and managed to pull it off even better.)
  16. Jun 17, 2014
    Great setting, great World, great Visuals, great robotics, the first hour or so is quite good, but after the aliens true identity is revealed, Things start going from bad to worse. Not a very good ending. All in all a mediocre scifi Flick.
  17. Jun 14, 2014
    Okay film but Tom cruise got in the way of the more interesting characters played by Morgan Freeman and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. The story is okay and the CGI is very good however the movie was a Tom Cruise cash-in with little weight. It plays the audience for a fool with twists that anyone who see's the trailer will be able to spot miles away.

The ludicrous ending really sums up the

The ludicrous ending really sums up the stupidity of it all however, it IS worth your time if you can't get enough sic-fi but I wouldn't bother unless you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.
  18. Jun 13, 2014
    Oblivion is a decent sci-fi flick. It has decent acting, a decent plot and decent special effects. Tom Cruise puts on a great show, as usual and so do the supporting actors. Unfortunately, it suffers from something I like to call "WHY DON'T YOU JUST TELL THE OTHER PERSON WHAT'S GOING ON"-dialogue deficiency syndrome.

You see, no one seems to bothered to tell someone what is REALLY going

You see, no one seems to bothered to tell someone what is REALLY going on when they need the information the most. Like say when you're about to kill someone but you want to make them do something for you but instead of telling them what's going on, you just kind of make them guess as to your intentions even though they probably would agree with you right off the bat IF YOU JUST TELL THEM WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW.

Oblivion isn't the only sci-fi movies that seems to suffer from that problem but it's glaringly obvious in at least three very important scenes. For some reason directors think it builds suspense when characters don't open their mouths and internalize everything so that they can justify the violence and special effects that follow next.

That's my gripe with this movie. Other than that, I thought it was quite good. Must-see for any sci-fi fan.
  19. Jun 13, 2014
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this movie but moreover the director and writer does an amazing job. It was gripping and will keep you guessing until the end. One of the best films of the year!
  20. Jun 11, 2014
    The cinematography...wow. The first time you watch, it felt inadequate as the plot is somewhat prosaic. If you watch it the second time and pay attention to the details rather than the general picture, there is much breathtaking artistry.
  21. Jun 11, 2014
    What saves "Oblivion" from being a complete disaster is the stunning visual scenarios and once again, a good performance from Tom Cruise. But, not of that points can compensate the boring story and confusing narrative.
  22. Jun 9, 2014
    This movie got me! From the thrilling storyline to the excellent soundtrack by M83 (Inspired By Hans Zimmer) Joseph Kosinski brings you into a visually unique wasted planet earth! The rhythm is fast and you don't have time to get bored, it constantly leaves the watcher wondering what's gonna happen next? Until It Is all revealed in due time. Best psychological Sci-fi movie I have seen in aThis movie got me! From the thrilling storyline to the excellent soundtrack by M83 (Inspired By Hans Zimmer) Joseph Kosinski brings you into a visually unique wasted planet earth! The rhythm is fast and you don't have time to get bored, it constantly leaves the watcher wondering what's gonna happen next? Until It Is all revealed in due time. Best psychological Sci-fi movie I have seen in a while and I Highly recommend It! Expand
  23. Jun 7, 2014
    This movie was amazing to me. The art style was spot on and the story was very well done.

Tom Cruise made you feel like you were part of the struggle during the movie. The plot twist toward the end left me going saying "oh S**t!" Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick

Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick finish.. I felt a little robbed so I couldn't give this movie a 10.. but, still if your reading this.. GO SEE IT!
  24. Jun 2, 2014
    A movie, so subtle and yet so powerful! That alone, is an achievement. It's visually extremely impressive.. The imagery here is the storyteller, not the dialogue. The story is by far not original - but it serves us some good surprises. It's perhaps more an art film and that is excellent! The soundtrack is quite simply one of the best I've heard in a long time. This movie continues whatA movie, so subtle and yet so powerful! That alone, is an achievement. It's visually extremely impressive.. The imagery here is the storyteller, not the dialogue. The story is by far not original - but it serves us some good surprises. It's perhaps more an art film and that is excellent! The soundtrack is quite simply one of the best I've heard in a long time. This movie continues what Moon and Prometheus started with.. The return of real science-fiction. Expand
  25. May 25, 2014
    A surprisingly decent Sci-Fi film nothing special but good enough for me to at least watch it unlike "After Earth". I'm really not a fan of Tom Cruise the only movies of his that iv'e actually watched and liked in the past 10 years was Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol. Well he barely in Tropic Thunder though when he was he was super funny so it was cool to see him in another decent filmA surprisingly decent Sci-Fi film nothing special but good enough for me to at least watch it unlike "After Earth". I'm really not a fan of Tom Cruise the only movies of his that iv'e actually watched and liked in the past 10 years was Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol. Well he barely in Tropic Thunder though when he was he was super funny so it was cool to see him in another decent film that i liked. Some fantastic use of CGI everything was top notch and didn't look overly fake.

Story wasn't really that great and it seemed like half way through the movie they decided to throw in multiple sci-fi movie cliches and it just didn't all come together right. Morgan Freeman was barley in this and when he was it still wasn't anything special sure there at the end he has some great scenes but it just wasn't enough.

Overall i give a 6.5 definitely thought this could have been better but for a Tom Cruise movie it really wasn't that bad and worth a watch if you like sci-fi.
  26. Apr 21, 2014
    Muy buena, la recomiendo. Todo sorprende, la trama y las imagenes. Desde el comienzo hasta el final te mantiene boquiabierto. Tremendjo trabajo senor director.
  27. Apr 9, 2014
    A really good sci-fi spoiled by being far too long and drawn out and some stupid additions in the story not least at the every end. Its still OK but it could have been much much better if a lot of the rubbish had been cut out.
  28. Mar 23, 2014
    Oblivion is what a good science fiction film should look like - sleek, stunning, and incredibly beautiful. The effects are just the right amount of set/props and CGI, the camera work is excellent and captures both the most intimate and epic moments, and just in general there are plenty of landscapes and shots in the film that make you say "Wow".

Where the film falters a bit though is in

Where the film falters a bit though is in its story.

While the cast is small and talented (this is Tom Cruise's best most recent work) and the script focused the movie suffers from numerous pacing issues, avenues left unexplained or unexplored, a few predictable twists, and some questionable "stereotypical" sci-fi tropes.

However I think what really undermined the film was that the trailer gave away a "twist" that takes up nearly half the movie - thus making it impossible to feel the mystery and thrill that it clearly wants you to.

Either way Oblivion is a solid contemporary science fiction film that offers something unique and sorely missed in today's tired guns-blazing space epics.
  29. Mar 18, 2014
    Let me make this short and to the point. Is this movie good? Indeed it is. Will you remember it in a decade? Probably not. There is nothing mind blowing or necessarily original about this film, but while it may take different aspects of other Sci-Fi media, it manages to execute it in a successful manner. That, in my eyes, makes it a worthy title for the genre when understanding that manyLet me make this short and to the point. Is this movie good? Indeed it is. Will you remember it in a decade? Probably not. There is nothing mind blowing or necessarily original about this film, but while it may take different aspects of other Sci-Fi media, it manages to execute it in a successful manner. That, in my eyes, makes it a worthy title for the genre when understanding that many others like it are not so lucky. I would recommend Oblivion for those who enjoy slower paced Sci-Fi films, but I can not say the same for those who do not. This is not a must see, but when considering that Oblivion does feature a cast of Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman, maybe that is enough to please film goers who do not typically go for these kinds of movies. So in closing, good film, fun casting, but nothing amazing. Expand
  30. Mar 17, 2014
    Great movie. Much better than war of the worlds, good acting from tom cruise.
    A bit horrifying at times, maybe not the best word to use. But, good sci-fi story and movie.
    Great casting all throughout.

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.