Oblivion

7.0

1. Jun 3, 2013
    well its kind of hard to see movies with very few actors in them, this one had very few people. the story line was lacking i taught it was a waste of time.
  2. Sep 20, 2013
    Maybe the ending was a bit of a letdown but the first three quarters of this are a slick, eye-popping sc-fi lover's wet dream. I liked this a whole lot. What the heck is Slant Magazine? Metacritic's scoring is, as so often, head scratching.
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    This film was flawed in a lot of ways. Lots of effects, lots of irrational premises, poor casting, dumb story not well-told. Since AMC doesn't refund money for poor film-making, I sat through it.
    I usually like Tom Cruise movies, but this was one where I actually hoped he'd kill himself.
  4. Apr 28, 2013
    When you know what is coming next all the suspense disapates and the movie is just so-so. Unfortunately, despite loving science fiction this was a by the numbers of other scify movies of the past. Nothing new and kind of slow to get going. Okay for a rainy day.
  5. May 22, 2013
    Great looking but disappointing. There are some great scenes, but the plot is very derivative. A shame cos they got everything else right. SF really needs to find some new tunes. Some clunky dialogue "F**k you Sally" ugh. That being said it's so well executed that it's still ok, preferably on the big screen.
  6. Apr 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tom 'bad acting' Cruise Matrix Moon Oblivion, a movie without flavor, which brings nothing to the scifi genre. It's post-apo but the hero has time to f*ck two chicks just before fight villains, obviously concluded by a happy ending. This movie stolen the name of a good game that does not deserve to be assimilated with it. Expand
  7. Jun 15, 2013
    I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring butI'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring but Oblivion had much of the film cast in wide open, vast wastelands where the action scenes where clear and easy to follow. The plot was simple and intriguing, yet kept you interested throughout. The movie falls a little flat prior to the climax but it was a pleasant surprise to see such a good, yet different sci-fi movie because they just don't make very many good or original ones anymore. I will be in the store the day it gets released on blu-ray to get my copy! Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you can escape a couple of major plot holes, I found the film an entertaining escape. As opposed to some of the other reviewers, I found the plot easy to understand and interesting. However, the execution in the film left a bit to be desired: i.e. why didn't the humans inform Jack of his situation when they first met? why didn't jack's wife tell him who she was immediately? why did the humans hail the orbiting escape pod from earlier knowing all the people on board would be killed? how? why now 60 years later? The film is littered with these questions (very Prometheus-esque). So believing it all was a bit of an effort, unfortunately. ...could have been a much better film. ...shame. Expand
  9. Apr 20, 2013
    Pure Sci-fi. My favorite type of Sci-fi. For the "fi" to work the "Sci" has to be believable. While there was plenty of edge of the seat action it wasn't just an action flick and, while there were some creative plot twists it wasn't overly cerebral. I'm no Tom Cruise worshiper but I thought it was well acted. Thankfully we were spared the campy "one liners". I'll pay to see it again.
  10. Feb 25, 2014
    Great cinematography and special effects, but those things don't save movies from bad scripts and bobble-heads named Bob. Nor do they save them from bobble-heads named Cruise - Even if he does play a better future man, that he does a Hollywood actor. By the way, in my future, douches won't get to call themselves Cruise, or Edge, or Sting.
  11. Jun 4, 2013
    "Oblivion is no question a visual marvel and features Tom Cruise at his best. But sadly that gets clouded by its overwhelming and confusing plot while all the same running too long and it fails to capture or retain your attention after about the hour mark." C
  12. Apr 21, 2013
    I really enjoyed Oblivion. At times I felt like the creators had spent some time watching Tron Legacy for inspiration and flashes of futuristic art direction. I even felt that the movie represents a lot of what the upcoming game from Bungie (creators of the "Halo" franchise) have in store for "Destiny" (for you gamers out there, you'll know what I mean). The movie is straight-up cool.I really enjoyed Oblivion. At times I felt like the creators had spent some time watching Tron Legacy for inspiration and flashes of futuristic art direction. I even felt that the movie represents a lot of what the upcoming game from Bungie (creators of the "Halo" franchise) have in store for "Destiny" (for you gamers out there, you'll know what I mean). The movie is straight-up cool. The music score was powerful. Tom Cruise doesn't get in the way. The final scenes of the movie may surprise many (it certainly caught me off guard). It's unfortunate that this movie isn't perfect, because what a monumental experience that would have been. It certainly would have made it harder for the upcoming Star Trek to standout. But the gist of it is: Oblivion is good. Some won't absolutely love it, but I believe most will enjoy it. Expand
  13. Apr 24, 2013
    It's yet another post apocalyptic world, this time with Tom Cruise as one of the survivors. His job is to maintain droids that patrol the wasteland, until things happen that set the plot in motion. While the story isn't especially original and the action sequences are only average, the rest is pretty cool. This world has neat futuristic stuff, dazzling scenery and great design. While it'sIt's yet another post apocalyptic world, this time with Tom Cruise as one of the survivors. His job is to maintain droids that patrol the wasteland, until things happen that set the plot in motion. While the story isn't especially original and the action sequences are only average, the rest is pretty cool. This world has neat futuristic stuff, dazzling scenery and great design. While it's 15 minutes too long, it's a scifi treat for the imagination. Expand
  14. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible. I give it like a 9.4 really, but that is not an option. Only one thing, the scene where they for whatever reason decide to roll out the drone and then get attacked once they open the doors (why not wait until night? where were the scouts that caught one drone and sounded the alarm earlier? why not just open the doors and tell it to LAUNCH form where it is inside instead of putting it on a tractor? was a total Hollywood scene just to have people shoot, die, get blown up, win with losses...dumb for an otherwise brilliant movie). The scenery is amazing, the musical score is brilliant, acting phenomenal, story great (yes they did steal a few things from a few games/books/movies (Independence Day seems like the obvious, but there were sci-fi books with this plot even before, like Footfall). All around outstanding movie that should've scored higher than it did. If you like sci-fi, watch this film! Expand
  15. Apr 22, 2013
    The visuals are great. While watching it you will be reminded of many other Sci-Fi films, and Tom Cruise has played this same character many times. It kept me intrigued until the end but the ending was eye-rollingly bad. The whole movie became unbelievable at that point (are the super intelligent aliens really that stupid?). I also thought the soundtrack was annoying at times. Not aThe visuals are great. While watching it you will be reminded of many other Sci-Fi films, and Tom Cruise has played this same character many times. It kept me intrigued until the end but the ending was eye-rollingly bad. The whole movie became unbelievable at that point (are the super intelligent aliens really that stupid?). I also thought the soundtrack was annoying at times. Not a horrible film, but it won't be a blu-ray purchase. Expand
  16. May 1, 2013
    An enjoyable sci-fi film, but very derivative and a little antiseptic from an emotional standpoint. The cinematography was absolutely stunning, and the score is gorgeous (a bit like late-period Kubrik scores). Movie fans should probably see this movie for these two aspects alone. As for the story, the basic premise is interesting and believable, but a lot of the touches (like the kidAn enjoyable sci-fi film, but very derivative and a little antiseptic from an emotional standpoint. The cinematography was absolutely stunning, and the score is gorgeous (a bit like late-period Kubrik scores). Movie fans should probably see this movie for these two aspects alone. As for the story, the basic premise is interesting and believable, but a lot of the touches (like the kid at the end) do not make much sense and really don't contribute to the overall story line or movie quality. And the twist...well, it's been done...and I'll leave it at that.

With a better director and some script editing, this could have been a masterpiece. As it stands, it is a decent movie with stunning visuals and soundtrack.
  17. Aug 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would say the movie is excellent...until Morgan Freeman shows up. He destroys pretty much everything that has been built up until that point. The same happens in every movie where Michael Caine shows up. These guys are not made to play supporting roles. Anyway, the CGI is awesome. Tom Cruise is as awesome as always, too bad he has to be there next to Olga Kurylenko, who does nothing more than stare at the screen with her big eyes.
    I want that apartment That is one cool apartment...and the pool is...CGI, unfortunately...
  18. Apr 23, 2013
    This movie both pleased me and irked me. The story was generic, all though I do like this form of story. In fact I actually enjoyed the story. The plot is slowly and subtly leaked to the viewers over time. About 40 minutes away from the end the plot is fully realized. The movie is about two hours ten minutes long, what irks me about this time is that half the movie is pointless travelThis movie both pleased me and irked me. The story was generic, all though I do like this form of story. In fact I actually enjoyed the story. The plot is slowly and subtly leaked to the viewers over time. About 40 minutes away from the end the plot is fully realized. The movie is about two hours ten minutes long, what irks me about this time is that half the movie is pointless travel scenes. These scenes did not build the story nor did they really build suspense. Tons of plot twists, and you have to pay attention to really enjoy it. The movie is not really action oriented, only about 20 minutes are actually devoted to action, the rest is all story. I like these types of movies but in the end the pointless travel scenes really ruined it for me. 5 out of 10 for poor direction but decent story. Expand
  19. Apr 25, 2013
    Oblivion is a hell of a film. It achieves what the Matrix Trilogy attempted to in one movie. A great follow up to his first movie, which was the Tron sequel.
  20. May 6, 2013
    Leaving aside Tom Cruise haters, it is beyond me why anyone would give this movie less than a top mark. It has everything any science fiction buff would enjoy, put together in an outstanding and believable package. The cinematography is outstanding, with the animation well-integrated and an exceptional storyline.

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom Cruise's most recent science fiction movie, is not as polished or believable, yet garnered an 80 from critics. It would be a shame to believe that Phillip K. Dick is the reason for that rating. Dick is one of the best set piece science fiction writers, but does not reach for or achieve the breadth and vision of Oblivion.

Miss Oblivion in theaters at your own risk. This is one of a handful of movies whose small screen versions lose substantial impact on the small screen.
  21. Oct 18, 2013
    One of the worst science-fiction movies of all time. It's dull and uninteresting to the very end. I didn't care once about anything that was going on and couldn't wait for this movie to end. The only good thing about this movie is how good it looks. Truly these are some spectacular special effects. Unfortunately outstanding visual effects amount to nothing when the movie is garbage.

The

The characters and plot are boring and dumb. The latter being filled with cliches and over-used plot threads that have been done time and time again in science fiction movies. The characters are lifeless and unlikable, the worst offender being Tom Cruise's character "Jack". When he's not being completely dull and moronic, he's tossing out groan inducing one-liners like "Yeah, well you should see the other guy". I wanted to see him get shot so badly.

So the plot and characters are unbearable, and unfortunately so is the action and romance. This is a completely terrible film. One of the worst I've ever seen. I don't recommend this movie in the least. "Oblivion" should be cast into oblivion.
  22. Oct 9, 2013
    Oblivion totally shocked me. I walked in expecting a forgettable Sci-Fi flick. I walked out with the notion of just having seen one of the best science fiction films of the last ten years. The film really hit base with me; I loved the tone, visual style, soundtrack and the emotional human element. And man oh man... Those action scenes! Oh yes!
  23. Apr 23, 2013
    It's not all bad, the scenery and special effects were excellent, as were the two female Costars. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who did a good job as a sidekick to Morgan Freeman and has gained recent notoriety in the Game of Thrones show.
    The bad was that of course we've seen this post-apocalyptic plot regurgitated so many times in a few weeks you will have trouble remembering what stood out about this film.
    Finally, the really ugly is Hollywood's continuous insult to our intelligence when casting lead actors. America is so deeply weary of being reminded Tom Cruise is the most amazing man in the universe... Note to Hollywood: please give Cruise a rest.
  24. Apr 21, 2013
    Seen Oblivion tonight and I mostly enjoyed it. Tom Cruise was good as usual and a nice cameo from Morgan Freeman. The real star of this film though is the amazing visuals. Absolutely stunning and even more impressive than Director Joseph Kosinski's previous movie Tron Legacy. However like Tron the concepts and visuals are great but there just isn't alot of heart to it, with some momentsSeen Oblivion tonight and I mostly enjoyed it. Tom Cruise was good as usual and a nice cameo from Morgan Freeman. The real star of this film though is the amazing visuals. Absolutely stunning and even more impressive than Director Joseph Kosinski's previous movie Tron Legacy. However like Tron the concepts and visuals are great but there just isn't alot of heart to it, with some moments and relationships that are supposed to emotional, and they just aren't. I can see Oblivion being this years Prometheus with a big split in opinion. Expand
  25. Apr 22, 2013
    I good, but not a great movie. Tom Cruise (whom I'm not a fan of) does a great job in this film. The plot is reminiscent of the movie "The Island". The world is beautiful, effect are not over done, and the is music fantastic.

Where the score comes down is there are some scenes that are a little too long. There are also parts that are over explained, that i find dumbs the movies down for people who may not get it otherwise.
  26. May 5, 2013
    The atmosphere is terrifyingly believable for a post-apocalyptic movie compared to other movies of the genre, it's beautiful, but still creepy. The plot is too simple and complicated at the same time by a lack of information that pretends to call into question what would happen in a future controlled by technology.
  27. May 29, 2013
    For my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot ofFor my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot of sci-fi writers in particular will argue that your memories make up who you are, and so the end to the film brought it all full circle for me. I loved it. Expand
  28. Jun 9, 2013
    How slow and redundant can you get for the first 90% and then a solid ending. Was it worth it? No. It has the ending that you wish Star Trek would have had. But sitting through exposition that takes an hour violates everything a audience expects.
  29. Apr 19, 2013
    Good acting, direction, graphics, action. What brought the score down to 4 was the story line It was convoluted, not credible, and weak. A bad story line in a 2 hour movie made it seem 3 hours. Plenty of action lost on an impossible to follow story.
  30. Apr 23, 2013
    An unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency isAn unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency is significantly above average (with few and insignificant gaffes or inexplicable moments and absolutely no major plot holes Thank you!), the pacing wasn't frantic or boring with exposition of characters and backstory well-spaced throughout the movie. I'll probably go see it again, just because movies like this are too few and far in between. Expand
  31. Apr 20, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie I wouldnt say its the best movie of 2013 but it made me pay attention. The twist was pretty nice idea and Morgan Freeman playing a bad ass was a treat.
  32. Aug 17, 2013
    Tom Cruise acting his typical type again. Which isn't bad. But it is getting old now.
    Morgan Freeman hardly has any minutes in the movie, so his name is only in there to attract more people to watch it.
    The story is pretty flimsy and quite predictable. A few moments that seemed to peek my interest story wise, otherwise it was pretty bland all over.
    Setting is alright, CGI nicely done.
  33. Apr 21, 2013
    Beautifully filmed, and, yes, it's hard not to see the shadows of other sci-if movies in Oblivion, but I give it points for the bigger questions.. What is a valid life? If you discovered your life was not as unique as you thought, does that negate your existence?
  34. Jul 24, 2013
    Why didn't i see this in theaters? Probably because it wasn't a sequel or remake. This is by far one of the best original sci-fi movies i have seen in a long time.
  35. Apr 24, 2013
    Glad to see that the user score on this site is about right despite what the critics say. This is an honest sci-fi action movie, not overly pretentious, not trying to seem deep and philosophical when it is not. The story is not something out of the ordinary, but neither it is a standard (as in completely braindead) Hollywood story. It feels like a mix of classical sci-fi movies, but not inGlad to see that the user score on this site is about right despite what the critics say. This is an honest sci-fi action movie, not overly pretentious, not trying to seem deep and philosophical when it is not. The story is not something out of the ordinary, but neither it is a standard (as in completely braindead) Hollywood story. It feels like a mix of classical sci-fi movies, but not in a dumb copycat way. Yes, it left some questions unanswered, but still it worked for me and I was not facepalming every ten minutes which is more what I can say about most of the recent sci-fi movies. And it looks amazing too. Expand
  36. May 1, 2013
    Oblivion was a waste of a good premise. The setting was very well done and the idea was interesting but too many cliched moments, an outright stupid villain, and an especially bad ending drag the whole movie down. I would recommend waiting until it's on Netflix or cable.
  37. Aug 4, 2013
    The definition of "oblivion" is: "the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening". It's a blissful state in which the writers of Oblivion must have spent most of their time, and which explains the movie's plot holes, ridiculous dialogues, and badly told story. Only pro: Tom Cruise's flying vehicle sometimes moves beautifully, contrary to the director's camera work which isThe definition of "oblivion" is: "the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening". It's a blissful state in which the writers of Oblivion must have spent most of their time, and which explains the movie's plot holes, ridiculous dialogues, and badly told story. Only pro: Tom Cruise's flying vehicle sometimes moves beautifully, contrary to the director's camera work which is just banal, cold, and misses any opportunity he might've had to save such a bad script. Expand
  38. May 13, 2013
    Without really being exceptionally amazing, I still found this movie pretty decent. It certainly did appear to borrow ideas from a lot of my other favorite sci-fi movies, and it didn't always execute the ideas as well as the other films did. Forgiving that, I still had a fun time.
  39. Apr 27, 2013
    Mediocre. Cliched. Forgettable. Tom Cruise movi- ah that explains.

One of the most forgettable bland and altogether average films, that I have the displeasure of watching. Not only it is slow paced, confusing, characters are completely bland, it delivers nothing speculatar that hasn't been seen in other movies. Rent or purchase Independence Day, and save money from this mediocre film.
  40. Apr 20, 2013
    While the movie seems like a mixture of several different science fiction films, it is not fair to say it is unoriginal but it is more of a respectful throw back to the science fiction films of the 1970s. It has some spectacular action, some great concepts, and always beautiful imagery. It's not only worth checking out, its worth seeing, telling your friends about it and then seeing it again!
  41. Sep 6, 2013
    The visuals created by PIXOMONDO studios are just stunning. The storyline introduced in this movie was very fascinating and the soundtrack by M.8.3 just great. A science-fiction thriller of diamond brilliance. Stands with the greatest movies in this genre.
  42. Feb 1, 2014
    An inoffensive enough science fiction adventure, not terrible, but not without it's flaws. Oblivion is insubstantial, at its core, it wastes little to no time on the how, why or when and travels from point A to B in a relatively simple manner. Some nice cinematography, costumes and effects help what appears to be a predictable pastiche of every piece of pop sci fi. Worth a watch.
  43. Apr 20, 2013
    A real/serious sci-if film that takes its time to develop characters and creates an engaging story that kept me interested throughout. Some may complain about it being "special effects laden" but what do you expect? You're living in the past..it's very expensive to physically model everything. Anyway, I enjoyed it very much, Cruise still has it.
  44. Apr 19, 2013
    Amazing movie with a plot that will keep you on your toes waiting for the next reveal (while you might guess some of the plot there is no way you will guess it all!). True sci-fi. Best movie I have seen in the last 12 months. Loved it!
  45. Jun 28, 2013
    Generic Sci-Fi movie with predictable Sci-Fi stuff. I could take it or leave. Maybe watch it if you happen to catch it on TV/Netflix sometime and you don't have anything better in mind.
  46. Apr 27, 2013
    Oblivion is in many ways similar to Tron: Legacy, director Joseph Kosinski's previous film. It's visually beautiful, the design of it is incredible but at times the characters lack anything resembling character. However one way they differ is that Tron Legacy was a mess in terms of its story, the many turns and complex mythology it created made it an incredibly complicated andOblivion is in many ways similar to Tron: Legacy, director Joseph Kosinski's previous film. It's visually beautiful, the design of it is incredible but at times the characters lack anything resembling character. However one way they differ is that Tron Legacy was a mess in terms of its story, the many turns and complex mythology it created made it an incredibly complicated and unintentionally dull picture.Oblivion is a wonderfully original story with eye popping effects. the film is set following a planetary war, a war which results were not the ones the defenders expected. The Earth has been ruined and 50 years later Jack Harper is left behind to maintain machines that are consuming earths few remaining resources. However when the arrival of fellow human Julia derails his routine he begins to question what he is doing on this ruined planet. Oblivion does provide thrills and excitement like a conventional action sci-fi, which is what the trailers implied the audience would get. However the film is much more of a mystery film about the inquisitive nature of mankind and the ultimate power of questioning you place in the world, the power in deciding ones own fate. It's a film that heavily relies upon its visuals so its probably a good thing they are truly breathtaking. The world created in the film is flawlessly realised with the landscape and machines that populate this new version of Earth amazing due to their original presentation. The film, based on Koskinski's graphic novel of the same name has a feeling of been there done that but only because the story is remarkably similar to another recent sci-fi picture, to name that film however would ruin part of this films wonderful mystery. The film central mystery is clever and touching but it does drag in the middle. The film is Cruise's and he is just as good as ever but the standout of the film is Andrea Riseborough who plays Jack's naive assistant Victoria, a woman so intent on leaving this Earth she ignores anything that makes her curious. Riseborough has a wonderful screen presence and her character in Oblivion is both tragic and strong and quite frankly she is the most interesting character in the very limited cast. Kurlyenko continues to shock me with yet another horrific performance, one that would ruin a film like this if she wasn't so unimportant to the films plot and if her character wasn't so thin and lifeless. Always playing the hard woman supposedly suits her but I have yet to see a single film she has impressed in, with To The Wonder showing she can't do soft either (although talking about acting and To The Wonder is like mixing oil and water.). Morgan Freeman is also present as a man Cruise must get answers from but he doesn't really have a character, instead he is a device to introduce plot or elaborate on previously developed plot points. It's a film that only really has two real characters but ultimately it's enough to be satisfied because those two characters are excellent and life the film beyond the Kurlyenko of it all. The film also works because the overall feel of it is so excellent, the finale while predictable is sufficiently inspiring and provides some much needed catharsis to a character who goes through the ringer. A final flashback near the end is the perfect scene addition to make the finale really stand out and leave the film with a extremely satisfying conclusion making it a terrific summer blockbuster, only in April. Expand
  47. Apr 20, 2013
    Oblivion is a great movie. There may be some small things that you can predict, but the movie overall just leaves you with a such an amazing feeling at the end, it's great. The visuals are gorgeous and for a movie based on one person roaming a wasteland of a planet, I didn't find myself feeling like any scenes were just dragging along. This is definitely a film worth seeing. Finally, IOblivion is a great movie. There may be some small things that you can predict, but the movie overall just leaves you with a such an amazing feeling at the end, it's great. The visuals are gorgeous and for a movie based on one person roaming a wasteland of a planet, I didn't find myself feeling like any scenes were just dragging along. This is definitely a film worth seeing. Finally, I would like to voice my appreciation for a studio finally releasing a sci-fi film where the story and acting don't completely suck. Expand
  48. Jan 14, 2014
    With a slow plot loosely held together by lukewarm tension and mediocre acting, Oblivion is a very weak film. Tom Cruise reprises the role he has played for most of his career (that of the cardboard cut-out action hero), and struggles to command much presence as he drags the audience through a short series of plot twists that are either predictable or nonsensical.
    It scores points for its
    It scores points for its undeniably impressive visuals and set pieces while Morgan Freeman adds some much needed charisma but sadly it isn't enough to make me call this film good. The whole thing is a very drawn out underwhelming experience.
  49. Aug 13, 2013
    Oblivion takes elements from a hodge-podge of science fiction films, but still manages to juxtapose them in a way that makes for something vaguely original. Even if the film is paying homage to Moon, Star Trek, and other hints of films/novels that I didn’t even recognize--for example, was there a wink at Cloud Atlas in the plot device where clones think they’re headed for Paradise whenOblivion takes elements from a hodge-podge of science fiction films, but still manages to juxtapose them in a way that makes for something vaguely original. Even if the film is paying homage to Moon, Star Trek, and other hints of films/novels that I didn’t even recognize--for example, was there a wink at Cloud Atlas in the plot device where clones think they’re headed for Paradise when their work shift is over? Nevertheless, despite the similarities to a host of other films, there is something intriguing about the three main characters, Jack, Julia, and Victoria, played by Tom Cruise, Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough. It is Cruise himself who saves the movie from, well, from oblivion, because it is a perfect vehicle for his boyish looks (he looks 30, not 50) and his saintly quality of being a protector and a savior.

The Earth is ravaged by a war started by invading aliens, who were presumably defeated by human nuclear weapons. But the nuclear war ravaged the planet, and the aliens destroyed the moon which wreaked global climate change. The surviving human race has taken up residence on Saturn’s moon Titan, and a few pockets of aliens, called Scavs for scavengers, are still wandering around on Earth trying to prevent the humans from getting the energy they need for Titan from the ocean, whose water is siphoned up through a huge pyramid hovering in the sky.

This is what Jack (Tom Cruise) and Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) sincerely believe. Their job at a remote outpost, which looks like the condo of the future, is to protect the siphoning process with the help of drones that Jack has to repair, daily risking his life whenever he leaves the outpost, while Victoria provides backup at the station and stays in touch with Sally at Mission Control, who masterminds the project. But the truth is that there is no colony on Titan, and the so-called Scavs, led by Morgan Freeman, are all that’s left of the human race. The drones and the pyramid are powered by the triumphant aliens who destroyed Earth looking for new energy resources. Jack and Victoria are lovers, due to a misunderstanding by the Alien Emperor (who takes on the form of Sally from NASA). When Jack and Victoria were captured, it was just the two of them, and a recent photograph with their heads together made Alien Sally think they were shacking up (which she calls being “an effective team”). So all the Jack and Victoria clones are a romantic couple. Jack was in fact married to another astronaut, Julia (Olga Kurylenko), who was released into outer space with the rest of the team just before capture as she slept in suspended animation.

Even though Jack is a clone whose memory has been wiped out as a precaution against capture, he keeps having dreams and memories of Julia. He also finds a little piece of Earth that is still intact, a retreat where he builds a shack, plays records, and collect books and mementos of whatever he can find from the old days. Finally, Julia’s capsule crash lands, the drones close in and destroy the sleeping astronauts, but Jack waves off the drone from Julia’s sleeping chamber. After awakening Julia, his memory keeps getting stronger, but Victoria, back at the condo, is truly a brainwashed clone, and she eventually reports him to Sally and is terminated for her trouble.

The [Icelandic] landscapes are spectacular (and do I see shades of Prometheus?), and though the plot is predictable and perhaps heavily reliant on other sources, it still shines through with a note of redemption, renewal, and faith in the resilience of the human race. And Tom Cruise is the perfect hero to communicate that positive message, a sort of clone in shining armor, if you will--and oh, yes, he’s also really cute.
  50. Jul 27, 2013
    Oblivion is all the things a $150 million movie starring Tom Cruise is nowadays: beautiful to look at, empty visual effects sequences, interspersed with just human emotion not to be totally artificial, all while having a recycled script from an interesting concept not fully developed. Director Joseph Kosinski is in need of making a low-budget passion project to prove his chops beforeOblivion is all the things a $150 million movie starring Tom Cruise is nowadays: beautiful to look at, empty visual effects sequences, interspersed with just human emotion not to be totally artificial, all while having a recycled script from an interesting concept not fully developed. Director Joseph Kosinski is in need of making a low-budget passion project to prove his chops before studios throw another $150 million his way again, as his films (also including Tron: Legacy) have the look and feel of a cologne commercial set in a futuristic video game world. His 2 films have no emotion, depth or artifice. Love the setting in Iceland and the music selection of M83, even using my favorite painting, Andrew Wyeth's "Christina's World", but these are devices that try and distract the viewer from the emotion that Cruise should be exhibiting at any point during the film. I understand it's a director's choice to have Cruise play a restrained, hollow character relearning the value of human emotion, but Cruise was upstaged by everyone he shared the screen with, even the drones. Expand
  51. Xon
    Jul 24, 2013
    This story could easily have been a trilogy or a two part. Most charaters seem two dimensional because everything seems rushed to get the basic story told. However, the scenery is brilliant and I didn't feel the time pass.
  52. May 16, 2013
    While Oblivion is perhaps the worst film I have seen this year thus far, it is still enjoyable and presents us a competent Sci-fi story that feels like it has been pulled from the 1970s full of twists and turns. Sometimes the film feels like its trying to be smarter than it is however, and I have never been too fond of Tom Cruise as an actor. My main complaint of the film however, is thatWhile Oblivion is perhaps the worst film I have seen this year thus far, it is still enjoyable and presents us a competent Sci-fi story that feels like it has been pulled from the 1970s full of twists and turns. Sometimes the film feels like its trying to be smarter than it is however, and I have never been too fond of Tom Cruise as an actor. My main complaint of the film however, is that the cinematography at times feels too false and feels like a television programme, while this likely will not be a problem for most people, it cheapened the feel of the film for me and kind of took me out of the experience. The effects are great and you do at least feel something for at least some of the characters throughout the film, although at times it feels like it is just going through the motions. All in all however, the film is enjoyable and the storyline is actually good and makes you think to some extent. Decent, 69/100. Expand
  53. Apr 21, 2013
    How exactly did the critics think that this movie was light on story? I feel that this is the opposite. At the end, the film still poses a few questions about their universe, but the characters are interesting enough to compensate. Tom Cruise gives another great performance with a similar mindset as he had in "Jack Reacher."
  54. Sep 7, 2013
    I was really impressed with this movie. If you like movies like "Moon" then you'll love this movie. Its more for those who appreciate good acting and a enjoy a deep plot and well... are educated, something that most critics here lack.
  55. May 6, 2013
    A very enjoyable experience with an excellent performance by Tom Cruise. The world is well-crafted and the plot is steady even if it is familiar. The visuals are gorgeous and I love the design of everything, from the firearms to the robots. The script can be pretty cheesy and inconsistent, but there are a lot of unexpected twists and turns. I honestly enjoyed seeing it and would recommendA very enjoyable experience with an excellent performance by Tom Cruise. The world is well-crafted and the plot is steady even if it is familiar. The visuals are gorgeous and I love the design of everything, from the firearms to the robots. The script can be pretty cheesy and inconsistent, but there are a lot of unexpected twists and turns. I honestly enjoyed seeing it and would recommend the film to anybody who wants a good sci-fi flick. Expand
  56. Apr 21, 2013
    A good movie, Regardless of the 0's and sour apples writing reviews I would give this about an 8.7.
    The movie was pretty slow and they threw in random suspense. They should have made the movie shorter. Other then that the movies plot was good, the cgi was awesome...

Come on people its a sci-fi movie and a fairly good one at that.. why do purist have to come and write reviews giving it a 0/10 its childish.

I have not went to the theaters in more then 3 years, I choose to go watch oblivion and was not disappointed, and neither will most people who like sci-fi movies.
  57. Aug 5, 2013
    Kosinski creates spectacular looking movies with a slightly uneven narrative. Sure, it's derivative of other sci-fi films of the past, and the first half is boring as hell. But once it gets going, you can't really fault them for not trying to do something 'original'. It's essentially a hardcore, high budgeted sci fi flick. So in a sea of sequels, I can't complain much. However, heKosinski creates spectacular looking movies with a slightly uneven narrative. Sure, it's derivative of other sci-fi films of the past, and the first half is boring as hell. But once it gets going, you can't really fault them for not trying to do something 'original'. It's essentially a hardcore, high budgeted sci fi flick. So in a sea of sequels, I can't complain much. However, he seemed can't get the balance between visuals and narrative just yet. If his films are produced by a much more steadier vet such as Spielberg, then we would have gotten a gem out of this fellow. Expand
  58. Apr 21, 2013
    Let me preface my remarks with two clarifying statements. Statement 1: I firmly believe that any work, be it film, game, or any other media, should be primarily judged against what it set out to do, and less against other works, primarily those which do not share its objectives. Statement 2: I was expecting very little from this movie: cool special effects and some Morgan Freeman. WithLet me preface my remarks with two clarifying statements. Statement 1: I firmly believe that any work, be it film, game, or any other media, should be primarily judged against what it set out to do, and less against other works, primarily those which do not share its objectives. Statement 2: I was expecting very little from this movie: cool special effects and some Morgan Freeman. With both of those points in mind, I can honestly say that I was extremely impressed with Oblivion. Let's run it down. The relatively simple concept outlined in the trailer belies the complexity and creativity of the actual film. Drawing upon the best writing traditions of the plot-twist era, like the golden days of The Twilight Zone, this film takes you on a rapidly-turning plot that does its best to keep you off balance. At the same time, however, it provides clues and subtleties that allow the sharp-eyed and analytical viewer to potentially unravel the plot's mysteries before they're shown. The writers deserve major kudos for their plot work, even if sometimes the dialogue is a little, well, over-dramatic. (Which, in the heat of the moment, can be forgiven; there are no real "rolling my eyes in disbelief" lines.) Given that I was expected two hours of watching Tom Cruise's Amazing Performing Ego, I was extremely pleased to see that he was actually a part of the cast and a believable addition to the film's world, so director Joseph Kosinski also deserves a significant pat on the back. While it would be easy to call Andrea Riseborough's performance wooden and/or forced, if you actually pay attention to the film and its plot, you'll discover that hers is one of the most genuine, authentic, and meaningful portrayals in the film; this should be considered a highlight of her career. And while Olga Kurylenko isn't quite at A+ level, she nevertheless turns in an extremely good performance. Finally, the set and scenery crews deserve a major share of the film's accolades; they managed to create both sterile hyper-tech environments and grimy ruins with equal believability, realism, and creativity. The set designers, builders, and managers responsible for the bubbleship, tower apartment, and props should consider this film a permanent part of their portfolios; there is not one single element that engenders a feeling of "are you kidding me?" Additionally (don't worry, not a spoiler), the crew who worked on the drones are, in my book, amazing; they managed to create a device that is capable of expressing emotion without actually doing so, and to communicate using a handful of synthesizer notes. Watch for these if you go see the film. So, with all those glowing praises in mind, on to the negatives. One of the things that stood out most seriously was a failure in audio mixing. The soundtrack (which was very good, by the way) frequently overshadows everything else because it's simply too loud for the scene. Morgan Freeman, for all his star power and the great performance he was able to give with what he was given, was terribly shortchanged; his character was marginal at best and seemed to have been stapled onto the plot to try to get another major star on screen. (Even so, he did a great job.) Finally, considering how carefully-constructed the rest of the plot was, the ending seemed almost an afterthought. They aimed for bittersweet, but just ended up with "hmm, vaguely creepy." In this respect, they did a Mass Effect; they led up through the whole thing, the audience becoming more and more invested in everything that was going on and actually (probably) caring about what happens to these characters, only to in the last five minutes drop a big wet pile of "Aw, really?" on us. Even so, I'm not at all sorry I went to see it on opening weekend, and will probably go to see it again before it leaves theaters so I can catch it in 3D, because when this goes small-screen, it's going to lose a lot. I've been unimpressed with a lot of contemporary sci-fi and most of Tom Cruise's work for a long time. Oblivion is an excellent piece of sci fi, a well-conceived, -executed, and -acted film, well worth your time if you are a fan of sci-fi and plot twists. This film is a rewarding adventure. I have no problem giving Oblivion an 8 and a subtitle. Oblivion: Plot twists in the apocalypse. Expand
  59. Apr 20, 2013
    This movie started out great. An interesting back-story narrated by Tom Cruise sets up the plot perfectly. The beginning drags on for quite a while, but it is a great chance to see some great CG effects. It's about the middle of the movie when things take a turn for the worse. Sci-fi fans will love this movie, but myself not being a hardcore sci-fi fan, I have to say I was disappointed.This movie started out great. An interesting back-story narrated by Tom Cruise sets up the plot perfectly. The beginning drags on for quite a while, but it is a great chance to see some great CG effects. It's about the middle of the movie when things take a turn for the worse. Sci-fi fans will love this movie, but myself not being a hardcore sci-fi fan, I have to say I was disappointed. The movie throws in twists that really have no place and the ending is just awful. This movie is full of plot holes as well and it feels like watching a five hour movie, when in reality, it is only two hours long. See this movie if you want, but my recommendation is no. Expand
  60. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is so sophisticated and subtle as to perhaps be an art film. This is great science fiction as comes along only once in a decade--if we are lucky. Tom Cruise is such a lightening rod for critics that they can't actually suspend their disbelief and follow the movie. This film is complex, subtle, beautiful, with stunning actresses and excellent actors. The major flaw is that keyOblivion is so sophisticated and subtle as to perhaps be an art film. This is great science fiction as comes along only once in a decade--if we are lucky. Tom Cruise is such a lightening rod for critics that they can't actually suspend their disbelief and follow the movie. This film is complex, subtle, beautiful, with stunning actresses and excellent actors. The major flaw is that key pieces of information are passed along only once and in mumbled dialog, so one might feel lost near the end. For me, it was completely worth it. This is not a movie you have seen before, though you might see it again. If you loved Cloud Atlas, you will love this film, too.. Expand
  61. Apr 9, 2014
    A really good sci-fi spoiled by being far too long and drawn out and some stupid additions in the story not least at the every end. Its still OK but it could have been much much better if a lot of the rubbish had been cut out.
  62. Nov 14, 2013
    I found it very enjoyable. The script is simple, but this actually serves the film well, as it functions best as a paced, ambient experience. The images are clean and beautiful, and the film has a unique atmosphere.
  63. Aug 7, 2013
    What an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and aWhat an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and a story that is absolutely amazing. The plot developed at a perfect pace for the environment and created a setting that felt genuine throughout. The only flaw was that there were some elements left unexplained, but then again it is a sci-fi movie so it doesn't take too much from the experience. I don't understand why so many critics slammed this movie but they do tend to like weird, artsy fartsy garb and dislike anything resembling a well-made action film. While this movie didn't have much action, it seems like it does from trailers so don't expect a gung-ho modern shooter or anything. If anything, it feels more like a Matrix style film in terms of pace. Regardless, I've said as much as I can say without revealing too much. I think most people would likely agree that Oblivion is a sci-fi epic worthy of the 2 hours. Expand
  64. Dec 26, 2013
    When Tron 2 Screenwriter, Joseph Kosinski, started shopping for a Publisher for his graphic novel, Oblivion, they told him it was so good that he should bring it right to the big screen. Before you know it, some big names signed out and the film was released as a big budget blockbuster. There are a ton of cool gadgets in a story about a futuristic world, that has been destroyed by war.When Tron 2 Screenwriter, Joseph Kosinski, started shopping for a Publisher for his graphic novel, Oblivion, they told him it was so good that he should bring it right to the big screen. Before you know it, some big names signed out and the film was released as a big budget blockbuster. There are a ton of cool gadgets in a story about a futuristic world, that has been destroyed by war. What initially turned me on to this film was the trailer, which show you the technology, but tell you almost nothing about the story. The films description is the same way, it tells you very little and really gets your curiosity going. The story starts by telling us what has become of the world, 65 years in the future. The planet has been destroyed by war and the humans have left the planet for one of Saturn's moons. All that's left is a bunch of technology meant to harvest Earth's resources for the people on Titan. The remaining rebels mean to sabotage this technology and it's the job of Jack and Vicka to repair and protect the technology from the last remaining terrorists. Tom Cruise stars and by now we all know how I feel about Tom Cruise. Fortunatly for Mr. Kosinski, this was a film that Cruise was really into and he does give one of his strongest performance since Minority Report. Cruise is terrific and is the main reason this film works in the beginning. With the extensive back story, it takes a while for anything substantive to happen and that's where Cruise and the unique technology come into play. They carry the film from the shocking beginning into the heart of the story. Once this film gets going it is one of the best pure Science Fiction films to come along in years. To his credit, even though the film is weird and starts out slow, Kosinski wouldn't let Hollywood touch it. The result is an old school type of Science Fiction film, done with modern technology. The geeks will love this movie, but there is also enough of a side stories and some amazing special effects that will help gain the majority of audiences. Oblivion was a terrific ride and something you don't see everyday, I really can't recommend it enough. Expand
  65. May 9, 2013
    nne of the most narcissistic films I have seen in years. tom cruise and the woman are the only subjects throughout the film. this is boring,no plot,a total yawn and have no idea what it was supposed to mean. you will hate yourself if you go to this drawn out plot less movie! I kept waiting for some story line to surface and it never did. I would urge everyone to stay home and watchnne of the most narcissistic films I have seen in years. tom cruise and the woman are the only subjects throughout the film. this is boring,no plot,a total yawn and have no idea what it was supposed to mean. you will hate yourself if you go to this drawn out plot less movie! I kept waiting for some story line to surface and it never did. I would urge everyone to stay home and watch advertisements on your tv,it would be better! Expand
  66. Apr 30, 2013
    I enjoyed SEEING the film, but once I came outside, I realised the really wasn't that much to it, and I might've wasted my money seeing this in cinemas. I think they paid too much attention to "super cool" effects instead of giving the story more substance.
  67. Apr 20, 2013
    This movie is mostly a collage of concepts found in other, much better sci-fi movies. This is your average film that no one will remember this time next year, because it is boring and derivative.
  68. Jun 17, 2014
    Great setting, great World, great Visuals, great robotics, the first hour or so is quite good, but after the aliens true identity is revealed, Things start going from bad to worse. Not a very good ending. All in all a mediocre scifi Flick.
  69. Apr 22, 2013
    Oblivion is a unsurprisingly great film, I had no doubts that it would be "great" ever since I saw the trailer; I didn't lose faith in it after seeing it's mediocre reviews. I disagree with most of them. Oblivion is thrilling with it's explosive action and mind-boggling yet great story-line. The director lets you get to know the characters immensely well (with one or two exceptions...); heOblivion is a unsurprisingly great film, I had no doubts that it would be "great" ever since I saw the trailer; I didn't lose faith in it after seeing it's mediocre reviews. I disagree with most of them. Oblivion is thrilling with it's explosive action and mind-boggling yet great story-line. The director lets you get to know the characters immensely well (with one or two exceptions...); he also manages to grab your emotions and lets you hang on the edge of your comfy seat/chair. It's not immensely intense or thrilling, but is to a nice extent. The actors portray their characters well, the cinematography is great, the music is good, the story is awesome all these things are great, but not phenomenal: so I give this film an... 8.4/10! Expand
  70. Apr 22, 2013
    Oblivion is an eye candy movie disguised as a post-apocalyptic science fiction flick. Throughout the entire film I saw not only movie elements I had seen many times before, but also nearly every Tom Cruise character of note. I saw three Jacks (Jack from Legend, Jack from Jack Reacher, and Jack from Oblivion), Maverick, Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder, John Anderton from Minority Report,Oblivion is an eye candy movie disguised as a post-apocalyptic science fiction flick. Throughout the entire film I saw not only movie elements I had seen many times before, but also nearly every Tom Cruise character of note. I saw three Jacks (Jack from Legend, Jack from Jack Reacher, and Jack from Oblivion), Maverick, Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder, John Anderton from Minority Report, and Ethan Hunt. I like Cruise but without a compelling story I just kept seeing him in every other role (and jumping on Oprah's couch a few times). This movie could have been great but alas was barely good. Time for Cruise to play a 50 year old character for once and give up on the 30-something heroes. Expand
  71. Apr 30, 2013
    Once again Hollywood spends all their money on effects and ignores the script. The result? A poor story that fails to grab, meandering scenes that go no where and the usual collection of cheesy lines. I dry reached when he said he was 'home'. Hollywood seriously needs to grow up!
  72. Jan 26, 2015
    The problem with this film is not that its cliché and combo of parts from other SF films, its in a way it sets up itself from the very beginning. In the very first 5 min. of the film you can guess all that is going to happen-the main story, the twists, everything. Narration is a cheap way of doing exposition and when there is so much of it, that shows how bad the script is-show me don'tThe problem with this film is not that its cliché and combo of parts from other SF films, its in a way it sets up itself from the very beginning. In the very first 5 min. of the film you can guess all that is going to happen-the main story, the twists, everything. Narration is a cheap way of doing exposition and when there is so much of it, that shows how bad the script is-show me don't tell me.
    Tom Cruise is ok, a little bit hamming it out but its not like he's acting even if great could save the film.
    Olga Kurylenko is an actress similar to younger Sophie Marceau- visually stunning and can have face full of emotions, acting through silence but her character is not convincing here- just a pretty face- did not buying for a second that she's who she claimed to be.
    Andrea Riseborough is a little bit better but even she flats out. Her character is the only one remotely interesting.
    In a triangle of these 3 people it could be an interesting drama even if SF part is bad. But it wants to be an action blockbuster first and there it fails miserably.
    At the end, I liked the art direction, the house, the machines, the visuals, Andreas dress.
    And the music had good cyberpunk/techno beat to it.
  73. Nov 26, 2015
    Oblivion provides stunning visuals and a cinematography that is truly mesmerizing but as the story moves along, all the beauty begins to disappear and your left with a beautiful beginning and a somewhat lifeless ending
  74. Aug 3, 2013
    Another movie that starts off promising with its solid story and good visuals, but then crashes and burns. Not only is it difficult to follow, it is so uninteresting.
  75. Apr 20, 2013
    This movie was very solid all around. I think the writers did a fantastic job with the plot by generating a very engaging story which makes you care about the characters. The story has a few twists and definitely will make you think a little. Furthermore, the special effects are all great with just the right amount of action and I think Cruise is very believable. In the end there reallyThis movie was very solid all around. I think the writers did a fantastic job with the plot by generating a very engaging story which makes you care about the characters. The story has a few twists and definitely will make you think a little. Furthermore, the special effects are all great with just the right amount of action and I think Cruise is very believable. In the end there really isn't much to complain about. If you are looking for a movie with a really awesome story and great effects I highly suggest this one. Expand
  76. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is a brilliant movie. Visually stunning, with an incredible soundtrack and a great plot that will keep you glued to the screen.
    Unlike many other scifi movies, the visuals and special fx are there to support the plot, instead of a silly plot made just to justify special fx and explosions.
    This is without a doubt one of the best movies i've recently seen.
  77. Apr 19, 2013
    In “Oblivion” you get two Tom Cruises for the price of one. You get the actor who is accessible, likeable, the guy next door and you get the man of action. He comes through for fans of both and might even bring in a few more who are looking for a fast moving film with looks of what the future might be. The only problem I have, and which I have with many sci-fi movies, is that I need theIn “Oblivion” you get two Tom Cruises for the price of one. You get the actor who is accessible, likeable, the guy next door and you get the man of action. He comes through for fans of both and might even bring in a few more who are looking for a fast moving film with looks of what the future might be. The only problem I have, and which I have with many sci-fi movies, is that I need the “Big Bang” guys or Trekkies to explain the last half hour to tell me what it was all about.

Earth has lost a war in 2077 and most of the citizens have been moved to a planet called Titan. Jack Harper’s (Tom Cruise) mind has been wiped of past memories though a few seep through for a second of Julie (Olga Kurylenko) a woman he remembers but doesn’t know exactly why. He has been paired with Vika (Andrea Riseborough) as part of a perfect team and are monitored by Sally (Melissa Leo) a Southern talking TV image. Jack’s job is repairing drones and searching for any ‘scavengers’, people still living on Earth, before he and Vika retire to Titan.

Without going into spoilers Morgan Freeman and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, as head of a group of scavengers, capture Julie and Jack which is when they start to lose me. One thing I do like about films that take place in the future is how the filmmaker pictures it. In 2077 the motorcycles, drones, helicopters not to forget their all clear plastic and glass home referred to as Skytower with a swimming pool that will have you talking, as will the nude swimming scene, are a part of the future we can imagine.

Cruise, about to turn 51, works hard to keep his body in shape and while men will be jealous of his near nude scenes women will appreciate it. As their girlfriends sigh over Cruise the men will keep their feelings to themselves regarding Kurylenko and Riseborough, if they are smart.

“Oblivion” is visual candy in the landscapes, shots of recognizable parts of the USA buried in sand or lush parts that somehow managed to escape what happened to the planet. There are action scenes, perhaps one too many, for the guys and enough Tom eye candy for the women. All in all it is a visual experience thanks to the production crew and director Joseph Kosinski but now if I can only get the screenwriters Karl Gajdusek and Michael DeBruyn, (or you), to explain the last 40 minutes I would appreciate it much more.
  78. Apr 22, 2013
    Sadly an underrated movie here on metacritic, fairly close to the movie "moon" from an ideological perspective. I was pleasantly surprised to have my (low) expectations exceeded from Hollywood movie. The critics claim the movie does not ask any real questions, or that it does not answer any, but to be honest Oblivion does have it's finer points. One has to wonder if Oblivion is asking theSadly an underrated movie here on metacritic, fairly close to the movie "moon" from an ideological perspective. I was pleasantly surprised to have my (low) expectations exceeded from Hollywood movie. The critics claim the movie does not ask any real questions, or that it does not answer any, but to be honest Oblivion does have it's finer points. One has to wonder if Oblivion is asking the question that no one really wants to know the answer to. Expand
  79. Apr 26, 2013
    a nicve clean sf-movie, fun to watch for the story and simply fun to look at for the style of the cinematography, SF-movies are few and far between (but getting more popular) but this is still a very good example of the genre, not to mention that the role of the lead is a dead ringer for Tom Cruise
  80. Nov 3, 2013
    "Oblivion" is a brilliant-looking movie. The visuals are stunning and the action is pretty well handled. The problem with it is the story. It's too dense and has uneven pacing.
  81. Nov 24, 2013
    This is my kind of movie. It's art design and visuals are amazing and the Sci-Fi story is very intriguing. I also loved the love story of it. It reminded me of Prometheus and Avatar, which I loved too. I've watched it twice now, after the first seating I would've given it a 9/10 but now I see it's more a 8/10. If you love Sci-Fi, do yourself a favour and watch it. NOW. in 1080p 3D!
  82. Apr 21, 2013
    I honestly LOVED this movie. It's intriguing and engaging until the last minute of the film. Highly recommended. I was worried that the trailers gave away most of the mystery but they barely even scratched the surface of all the mysteries it has to unveil.
  83. Apr 19, 2013
    I enjoyed this movie very much. The initial voice over narrative and stunning visuals had me from the very first second. And the stunning visuals were a consistent pleasure throughout the movie. Beautifully rendered. My attention was held enough that it did not seem as long as its 124 minutes. But somewhere along the line I got lost. I lost track of the story. I was caught thinkingI enjoyed this movie very much. The initial voice over narrative and stunning visuals had me from the very first second. And the stunning visuals were a consistent pleasure throughout the movie. Beautifully rendered. My attention was held enough that it did not seem as long as its 124 minutes. But somewhere along the line I got lost. I lost track of the story. I was caught thinking "What just happened and why don't I understand it?" Maybe I went to the bathroom during a particularly important exposition. However, my lack of comprehension did not ruin the movie for me. Instead, I was wooed into just going along for the ride and enjoying it regardless. I liked it enough that I will watch it again when it comes out on disk and see if I can figure it out the second time around. Expand
  84. Apr 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oblivion is a potent well-filmed sci-fi movie, but it's not perfect. As with Tron Legacy (also directed by Joseph Kosinski) the world in Oblivion is gorgeous and doesn't lack in little details. Action scenes are gripping and special effects are great. The story itself is quite good and with some neat plot twists, but the movie gets a bit boring in the middle, perhaps, it should've been a bit shorter. Also the ending leaves some questions, like "What in the hell's f**k is that triangular giant space thing and why does it eat planets?" and "What happens to all those remaining Tom Cruise clones on Earth?" But still, the movie is worth watching it at least once, even though Kosinski's previous work was significantly better. Expand
  85. Apr 21, 2013
    Absolutely stunning visuals and sound if you see it in IMAX or RPX. I give it a solid 7! Story is good, has some romance so good for the ladies as well!

Take your girlfriend, she will like it!
  86. Jul 29, 2013
    Oblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack willOblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack will notice a certain resemblance here, but this is certainly not a bad thing, rather the opposite. The story is sort of a composition of elements you might have seen in other scifi movies, but this is not always avoidable and not really a problem. The style and execution are brilliant so I'm very much looking forward to Kosinski's next film. Highly recommended! Expand
  87. Apr 21, 2013
    Action, not horror-filled life and death choices that etch themselves into your brain (Prometheus). An enjoyable sci-fi movie with good visuals, good future technology, a very good plot (who's in conflict and what they're up to), and action. It's a good, satisfying meal.
  88. Apr 27, 2013
    Oblivion is not one of the worst films of the year but it's not great either. The key thing about it is that it doesn't offer anything new as the director Joseph Kosinski said it pays homage to science-fiction films of 1970s. You will say, "Oh, I've seen it before!" a lot while watching it. Another problem is the pace of the film, which is extremely slow at the beginning. The plot takes aOblivion is not one of the worst films of the year but it's not great either. The key thing about it is that it doesn't offer anything new as the director Joseph Kosinski said it pays homage to science-fiction films of 1970s. You will say, "Oh, I've seen it before!" a lot while watching it. Another problem is the pace of the film, which is extremely slow at the beginning. The plot takes a lot of time to take-off and that's how I found it boring but I forgot it eventually because the final 30-45 minutes of film are good. What's different about it is that it still manages to entertain you a little because it may not be original but the visual experience it gives you is astonishing, especially with Kosinski's vision and the better production value, it feels like the remixed version of all the sci-fi films released in the past. The best things about this film are its landscapes, the brilliant cinematography by none other than Claudio Miranda and the background score by M83 which is extremely wonderful. I am only disappointed because the main theme could've made it much better and a bigger film but that didn't happen. Acting wise, it's alright. Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman (I wanted to see more of him), Andrea Riseborough, Olga Kurylenko, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo, all of them are good at their roles. In short, the movie didn't waste my time but I can't rate it better than this because Kosinski didn't do justice to it. Expand
  89. Apr 25, 2013
    If you don't like a painfully simplistic and predictable plot and mediocre acting combined with generally good sound and visuals avoid unless you want a good laugh. I did laugh but that's not enough to compensate for the disappointment Oblivion is.
  90. Apr 25, 2013
    Maybe it's because I'm not too well-versed with the sci-fi action genre but I thought the premise of Oblivion was an interesting one, though I can't judge on how "original" it may or may not be. The best element of this movie is easily the visuals, which are very expansive & detailed, especially in the chase & space scenes. The acting for the most part is solid, and the action can beMaybe it's because I'm not too well-versed with the sci-fi action genre but I thought the premise of Oblivion was an interesting one, though I can't judge on how "original" it may or may not be. The best element of this movie is easily the visuals, which are very expansive & detailed, especially in the chase & space scenes. The acting for the most part is solid, and the action can be really engaging. Also, the score is very well-written & effective, which I was honestly expecting since it was done by Anthony Gonzalez, the bandleader of M83, who I personally like. And the plot & writing are actually really good as well... for the first half. The second half is where problems start to arise. (SPOILERS START HERE) First the female lead Victoria becomes completely irrational & melodramatic when Jack explains that Julia was his wife before his memory was wiped (something Victoria somehow seemed to know beforehand) and even goes as far as to endanger his life & kick him out of his job. But then it's once Jack meets a clone of himself in the desert that things really start to crumble. Everything that happens afterwards (especially the parts with Morgan Freeman & his gang) just comes out of nowhere & has no real rhyme or reason to it. It all just feels really underexplained. I heard this was based on a book & that would make sense, since I imagine a lot of the details in the latter half got lost in translation. There's also little plotholes here & there (like why is there a dog just walking around unattended on Earth if all the resources have been destroyed? And what about everything with that island paradise-esque place Jack & Julia would occasionally go to? And how did they have a kid that's a few years old if Julia was the only survivor Jack found & the time between that & the ending scene was just a few days?) that can really take you out of the movie for a second. But like I said, the visuals & overall first half are enough to make watching this worthwhile. 71/100 Expand
  91. Apr 29, 2013
    These film is the greatest movie that I have seen this year!!! I'm very satisfied with the quality oft the film. It has 4x times higher quality than HD, I like the story, it makes you feel confused a little, but that's the true meaning of making a movie... The beginning, the middle, the ending was very good, it surely a must watch movie!!!
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a perfect blend acting...
    I hope another kind like this film will be showed up...
    Getting excited for the future of film!!!
  92. Aug 29, 2014
    There are many problems with Oblivion, but ultimately, I am willing to write them off for a couple of reasons. For one, the cinematography is fantastic. The set/production design is brilliant and is captured perfectly by the camera at every turn. The special effects are also very well done. The battle sequences, the weapons, the ships, the everything, all brilliantly thought out andThere are many problems with Oblivion, but ultimately, I am willing to write them off for a couple of reasons. For one, the cinematography is fantastic. The set/production design is brilliant and is captured perfectly by the camera at every turn. The special effects are also very well done. The battle sequences, the weapons, the ships, the everything, all brilliantly thought out and planned. The acting, particularly from Tom Cruise, is also great. The plot itself is a bit hit-and-miss, but as a whole, it is interesting and entertaining enough. However, the plot can get caught up in itself frequently and I felt like it was trying to be deep at times, but kind of missed the mark there. In addition, there are certainly some plotholes as they blend many different science fiction films (Moon being a recent example of one they borrowed from) to make one mishmash of a film. However, luckily, the acting and imagery are great enough to make me ignore those concerns and allow me to lose myself in the film. Not the best film ever, but a damn entertaining one that has some great production elements. Expand
  93. Apr 20, 2013
    First, before you criticize this movie of being too reminiscent of some older sci-fi movies, hop over to Wikipedia and check out the article about this movie. This movie PAYS HOMAGE to sci-fi movies of the 70s.

And it has done a great job of doing that. That's why I loved it. The tone, the atmosphere, the soundtrack, the sound effects, the décor, etc., all make this movie a pure sci-fi movie. The storyline is not perfect but it contains enough mysteries and twists to keep me interested for the entire movies. Those who feel the plot was too convoluted are probably too accustomed to linear storyline found in G.I.Joe, Expendable and most super-heroes movies.
  94. May 22, 2013
    If you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot deviceIf you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot device named Bob) well worth overlooking. Expand
  95. Apr 19, 2013
    While the premise and some factors of the movie may seem underwhelming going in, Oblivion not only delivers, but makes for an enjoyable and smart sci-fi movie well worth the price of admission. The scale of the movie is excellent, set pieces are huge and memorable, the visual feel is tremendous and helps create a genuine atmosphere. With that, the soundtrack by M83 is engrossing andWhile the premise and some factors of the movie may seem underwhelming going in, Oblivion not only delivers, but makes for an enjoyable and smart sci-fi movie well worth the price of admission. The scale of the movie is excellent, set pieces are huge and memorable, the visual feel is tremendous and helps create a genuine atmosphere. With that, the soundtrack by M83 is engrossing and excellent. Tom Cruise plays a solid main role, that didn't sell me at first but did later on, his scenes with Andrea Riseborough are among the best of the film. Add in some unexpected and truly great twists, and I'm happily surprised with this movie and it turns from what I'd expected to be a good movie, to a great one. Expand
  96. Apr 20, 2013
    Trash, trash, trash. Tom Cruise's acting si as disjointed from real entertainment as his real life persona is from reality. The plot is weak and lacks credibility. The best science fiction is grounded in yes -science but not in this movie. The writers underscore what's wrong with American science education, They could also could use a remedial class in plot development. I hope this isTrash, trash, trash. Tom Cruise's acting si as disjointed from real entertainment as his real life persona is from reality. The plot is weak and lacks credibility. The best science fiction is grounded in yes -science but not in this movie. The writers underscore what's wrong with American science education, They could also could use a remedial class in plot development. I hope this is the last Cruise movie we see in a while. Expand
  97. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is a beautifully made movie. It has impressive visual effects, cinematography and art design. But an uninspired story (a mix between Wall-E, Total Recall, Terminator and 2001: A Space Odyssey) that doesn't make any sense, below average acting, and an awkward pacing avoid it from being entertaining. The twists can be seen coming from a mile away. The action sequences are formulaic,Oblivion is a beautifully made movie. It has impressive visual effects, cinematography and art design. But an uninspired story (a mix between Wall-E, Total Recall, Terminator and 2001: A Space Odyssey) that doesn't make any sense, below average acting, and an awkward pacing avoid it from being entertaining. The twists can be seen coming from a mile away. The action sequences are formulaic, few and far in between. The characters are so one-dimensional it's hard to root for them. The undercooked love story drags the movie until forever, not to mention the chemistry between Tom Cruise and Olga Kurylenko is non-existent. You spend most of the film not knowing what's going on, and when that is revealed, it's very underwhelming. Only worthy for the visuals. Expand
  98. Apr 20, 2013
    Although i hate tom cruise for being a bad controlling husband and a phsyco scientologist. I actually enjoy oblivion, great and good sci-fi. Good acting as expected from tom. 1st 45 mins kinda confusing, but the story slowly revealed all clues to the end. It's really worth it to watch at the big screen.
  99. Apr 29, 2013
    What happens when you take a handful of the best and most creative scenarios from other Sci-Fi films and merge them into one film in a interesting and cohesive way? The answer is called Oblivion.

This film is visually stunning at times. Tom Cruse doesn't over or under act in this film. (As he's been prone to in the past). The other actors sadly are little more than set dressing. But they fill their roles beautifully and you don't really notice. That's always been a problem with Sci-Fi, that the world is center stage and the actors less so. Oblivion is more guilty there than most films in the genre.

There are numerous plot twists in this film. Sadly none of them have the desired impact because we've seen more than a few of them before. And those that are "fresh" are foreshadowed from so far off they aren't really surprises when they happen. I think I had one "Oh. Interesting" moment and that was it.

I will give top marks to the people who created this shattered earth. It is rendered flawlessly (what parts aren't real) and there was a lot of detail put into spaces even if you only see them for half a second.

Overall this film is a top class flick. It merges a variety of ideas in a logical way. Though perhaps its over some audience members heads. I heard a woman say "So 52 is the real guy" on the way out. That's wrong. (But doesn't spoil anything.)
    There should be more true Sci-Fi films like this. But without the idea stealing. Because at the end of the day. This is a good movie. Because it has borrowed a little to heavily from other sources to be called great.
  100. Apr 20, 2013
    The only positive side of this movie is visualization. Gorgeous post-apocalyptic America. The storyline pretends to be something big but it appears to be collected from parts of other sci-fi stories and if you've seen at least Moon 2112. Some of this one's storyline twists will be obvious to you. The (melo)dramatic moments do not seen natural to the other components.
    P.s. and I liked
    P.s. and I liked Andrea Riseborough's role. She was great.

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.