Oblivion

7.0

1. Apr 19, 2013
    While the premise and some factors of the movie may seem underwhelming going in, Oblivion not only delivers, but makes for an enjoyable and smart sci-fi movie well worth the price of admission. The scale of the movie is excellent, set pieces are huge and memorable, the visual feel is tremendous and helps create a genuine atmosphere. With that, the soundtrack by M83 is engrossing andWhile the premise and some factors of the movie may seem underwhelming going in, Oblivion not only delivers, but makes for an enjoyable and smart sci-fi movie well worth the price of admission. The scale of the movie is excellent, set pieces are huge and memorable, the visual feel is tremendous and helps create a genuine atmosphere. With that, the soundtrack by M83 is engrossing and excellent. Tom Cruise plays a solid main role, that didn't sell me at first but did later on, his scenes with Andrea Riseborough are among the best of the film. Add in some unexpected and truly great twists, and I'm happily surprised with this movie and it turns from what I'd expected to be a good movie, to a great one. Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is a rare beast, at least for Hollywood, it's actually a real science fiction film. While most sci-fi movies are basically guns in space, or other genres wrapped up in futuristic glitter, Oblivion wears it's sci-fi credentials proudly. It's hardly perfect, it's a bit too long, has 3 endings and borrows liberally from a number of familiar genre elements, but it weaves them togetherOblivion is a rare beast, at least for Hollywood, it's actually a real science fiction film. While most sci-fi movies are basically guns in space, or other genres wrapped up in futuristic glitter, Oblivion wears it's sci-fi credentials proudly. It's hardly perfect, it's a bit too long, has 3 endings and borrows liberally from a number of familiar genre elements, but it weaves them together into an enjoyable mystery with beautiful scenery and some impressive set pieces. Expand
  3. Apr 20, 2013
    While the movie seems like a mixture of several different science fiction films, it is not fair to say it is unoriginal but it is more of a respectful throw back to the science fiction films of the 1970s. It has some spectacular action, some great concepts, and always beautiful imagery. It's not only worth checking out, its worth seeing, telling your friends about it and then seeing it again!
  4. Jul 24, 2013
    Why didn't i see this in theaters? Probably because it wasn't a sequel or remake. This is by far one of the best original sci-fi movies i have seen in a long time.
  5. May 1, 2013
    An enjoyable sci-fi film, but very derivative and a little antiseptic from an emotional standpoint. The cinematography was absolutely stunning, and the score is gorgeous (a bit like late-period Kubrik scores). Movie fans should probably see this movie for these two aspects alone. As for the story, the basic premise is interesting and believable, but a lot of the touches (like the kidAn enjoyable sci-fi film, but very derivative and a little antiseptic from an emotional standpoint. The cinematography was absolutely stunning, and the score is gorgeous (a bit like late-period Kubrik scores). Movie fans should probably see this movie for these two aspects alone. As for the story, the basic premise is interesting and believable, but a lot of the touches (like the kid at the end) do not make much sense and really don't contribute to the overall story line or movie quality. And the twist...well, it's been done...and I'll leave it at that.

With a better director and some script editing, this could have been a masterpiece. As it stands, it is a decent movie with stunning visuals and soundtrack.
  6. May 13, 2013
    Without really being exceptionally amazing, I still found this movie pretty decent. It certainly did appear to borrow ideas from a lot of my other favorite sci-fi movies, and it didn't always execute the ideas as well as the other films did. Forgiving that, I still had a fun time.
  7. May 16, 2013
    While Oblivion is perhaps the worst film I have seen this year thus far, it is still enjoyable and presents us a competent Sci-fi story that feels like it has been pulled from the 1970s full of twists and turns. Sometimes the film feels like its trying to be smarter than it is however, and I have never been too fond of Tom Cruise as an actor. My main complaint of the film however, is thatWhile Oblivion is perhaps the worst film I have seen this year thus far, it is still enjoyable and presents us a competent Sci-fi story that feels like it has been pulled from the 1970s full of twists and turns. Sometimes the film feels like its trying to be smarter than it is however, and I have never been too fond of Tom Cruise as an actor. My main complaint of the film however, is that the cinematography at times feels too false and feels like a television programme, while this likely will not be a problem for most people, it cheapened the feel of the film for me and kind of took me out of the experience. The effects are great and you do at least feel something for at least some of the characters throughout the film, although at times it feels like it is just going through the motions. All in all however, the film is enjoyable and the storyline is actually good and makes you think to some extent. Decent, 69/100. Expand
  8. Apr 27, 2013
    Oblivion is not one of the worst films of the year but it's not great either. The key thing about it is that it doesn't offer anything new as the director Joseph Kosinski said it pays homage to science-fiction films of 1970s. You will say, "Oh, I've seen it before!" a lot while watching it. Another problem is the pace of the film, which is extremely slow at the beginning. The plot takes aOblivion is not one of the worst films of the year but it's not great either. The key thing about it is that it doesn't offer anything new as the director Joseph Kosinski said it pays homage to science-fiction films of 1970s. You will say, "Oh, I've seen it before!" a lot while watching it. Another problem is the pace of the film, which is extremely slow at the beginning. The plot takes a lot of time to take-off and that's how I found it boring but I forgot it eventually because the final 30-45 minutes of film are good. What's different about it is that it still manages to entertain you a little because it may not be original but the visual experience it gives you is astonishing, especially with Kosinski's vision and the better production value, it feels like the remixed version of all the sci-fi films released in the past. The best things about this film are its landscapes, the brilliant cinematography by none other than Claudio Miranda and the background score by M83 which is extremely wonderful. I am only disappointed because the main theme could've made it much better and a bigger film but that didn't happen. Acting wise, it's alright. Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman (I wanted to see more of him), Andrea Riseborough, Olga Kurylenko, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Melissa Leo, all of them are good at their roles. In short, the movie didn't waste my time but I can't rate it better than this because Kosinski didn't do justice to it. Expand
  9. Jan 12, 2014
    First of all - did anyone notice that 90% of movie plot is a copy from Moon 2112 movie with Sam Rockwell? Same theme - alone in the abandoned world, clones theme, the only friend. Ok, miss Kurilenko makes some difference. But movie itself is good, if I didnt see Moon 2112 I would probably give it at least 8 from 10.
  10. Apr 28, 2013
    It was good but forgettable. almost everything that was good with it counteracted with a flaw. It did get boring in some.parts, but it did keep u on the edge of your seat and.keeps you guessing and not knowing til end
    like i said it was a good movie with some drawbacks but its nor something ill remember in 10 years like avatar. 7.5/10
  11. Aug 18, 2013
    I don't understand how this movie Metascore can be only 54.
    Unoriginal? Flaws? Maybe...if you analyze this movie after having watched it. But if what you look for is entertainment, this is a great movie to watch. It may have flaws but they don't weight much on the pleasure to watch it, if you let yourself immerse in the story and the events the movie put you in.
    It works good and I am
    I don't understand how this movie Metascore can be only 54.
    It works good and I am sorry I missed it at the cinema.
  12. Jun 1, 2013
    This movie is absolutely amazing, the setting, the effects, the story, acting and the soundtracks are just AMAZING. You should definitely check this movie out, you won't regret it!
  13. Jun 2, 2013
    Oblivion is an incredible movie. Not only are the visuals stunning, but the story is beautiful and all the plot-lines are tied up by the end of the movie. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman play their parts excellently, and the soundtrack is a masterpiece. Would highly recommend to anyone, especially fans of 70's and modern science fiction.
  14. Jul 4, 2013
    Many people have addressed that the film seems almost, “routine" in a sense, because many of the themes portrayed in the film are reminiscent to those from other films before it. However, these criticisms go very far and completely state that “there is nothing special about this film, it’s a blatant rip off of hundreds of sci-fi films before it." I have to disagree.

There is much to

There is much to love about oblivion, in fact, it’s first half has possibly some of the most creative aspects of a story and setting I've seen.
  15. Jul 21, 2013
    Oblivion is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I really enjoyed the cgi effects, story kept me curious, acting was really great, acting was awesome. If you're looking for a great Sci-Fi movie, Oblivion is the best choice.
  16. Aug 2, 2013
    I loved this movie, I was totally immersed from start to finish. I have to tip my hat to M83 for their original score as well, it says a lot about a movie when you want to buy the soundtrack after watching it. I can't say enough about this film, it is definitely a must see.
  17. Aug 9, 2013
    Don't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately aDon't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately a love story: a pair of souls separated by time, war and science desperately seeking to reunite. It is one of Tom Cruise's best performances. The Icelandic scenery mixed with seamless CGI is stunning and restrained. The pace seems excruciatingly slow, but is perfect for the situation. With just a couple of small forgettable flaws in the science, the story is completely believable. Joseph Kosinski's graphic novel background shows in almost every frame, with perfect shot composition and transition. I was completely captivated by the mise en scene. (Look it up, kiddies.) Forget comments about being “derivative” or “unoriginal”. That’s the nature of science fiction. Finally, the M83 soundtrack is so perfect, you don't notice it until the wonderful final credits. Buy or rent it, and you will watch it over and over again. Tom & Joseph: you did good. I look forward to great projects from both of you. Joseph, I just hope the Disney dreck you have lined up doesn't bring you down. Yes, we all gotta work. Expand
  18. Apr 21, 2014
    Muy buena, la recomiendo. Todo sorprende, la trama y las imagenes. Desde el comienzo hasta el final te mantiene boquiabierto. Tremendjo trabajo senor director.
  19. Jun 9, 2014
    This movie got me! From the thrilling storyline to the excellent soundtrack by M83 (Inspired By Hans Zimmer) Joseph Kosinski brings you into a visually unique wasted planet earth! The rhythm is fast and you don't have time to get bored, it constantly leaves the watcher wondering what's gonna happen next? Until It Is all revealed in due time. Best psychological Sci-fi movie I have seen in aThis movie got me! From the thrilling storyline to the excellent soundtrack by M83 (Inspired By Hans Zimmer) Joseph Kosinski brings you into a visually unique wasted planet earth! The rhythm is fast and you don't have time to get bored, it constantly leaves the watcher wondering what's gonna happen next? Until It Is all revealed in due time. Best psychological Sci-fi movie I have seen in a while and I Highly recommend It! Expand
  20. Apr 23, 2013
    An unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency isAn unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency is significantly above average (with few and insignificant gaffes or inexplicable moments and absolutely no major plot holes Thank you!), the pacing wasn't frantic or boring with exposition of characters and backstory well-spaced throughout the movie. I'll probably go see it again, just because movies like this are too few and far in between. Expand
  21. Apr 21, 2013
    Its beautiful, its intense, its exciting, and its a bit confusing. But, all in all i really enjoyed this, even though the story was a bit confusing, espesially at the end.
  22. Apr 21, 2013
    It was kind of an old school sci-fi, a little slow, with the type of storytelling that creates a good atmosphere by showing how the “everyday future life” is.
    The CGI is nice, believable, nothing fancy, just as it should be. Loved the sounds.
    Acting is OK (yet not specially good as the big names would indicate). The story is consistent, however, there are a few unnecessary scenes, and
    Acting is OK (yet not specially good as the big names would indicate).
    The story is consistent, however, there are a few unnecessary scenes, and in some other parts it feels something is missing.
    Although there is nothing new in this movie and what we got isn’t perfect it was still enjoyable and worth to watch.
  23. Apr 20, 2013
    First, before you criticize this movie of being too reminiscent of some older sci-fi movies, hop over to Wikipedia and check out the article about this movie. This movie PAYS HOMAGE to sci-fi movies of the 70s.

And it has done a great job of doing that. That's why I loved it. The tone, the atmosphere, the soundtrack, the sound effects, the décor, etc., all make this movie a pure sci-fi movie. The storyline is not perfect but it contains enough mysteries and twists to keep me interested for the entire movies. Those who feel the plot was too convoluted are probably too accustomed to linear storyline found in G.I.Joe, Expendable and most super-heroes movies.
  24. Apr 19, 2013
    Amazing movie with a plot that will keep you on your toes waiting for the next reveal (while you might guess some of the plot there is no way you will guess it all!). True sci-fi. Best movie I have seen in the last 12 months. Loved it!
  25. Apr 22, 2013
    Very good and thoughtful sci-fi flick. Underrated here by the critics. I know it's mixing apples and oranges, but when metacritic gives this a 55 and the lame show Two Broke Girls a 66 you know there is something wrong with this site.
  26. Apr 21, 2013
    Beautifully filmed, and, yes, it's hard not to see the shadows of other sci-if movies in Oblivion, but I give it points for the bigger questions.. What is a valid life? If you discovered your life was not as unique as you thought, does that negate your existence?
  27. Apr 22, 2013
    Oblivion is a unsurprisingly great film, I had no doubts that it would be "great" ever since I saw the trailer; I didn't lose faith in it after seeing it's mediocre reviews. I disagree with most of them. Oblivion is thrilling with it's explosive action and mind-boggling yet great story-line. The director lets you get to know the characters immensely well (with one or two exceptions...); heOblivion is a unsurprisingly great film, I had no doubts that it would be "great" ever since I saw the trailer; I didn't lose faith in it after seeing it's mediocre reviews. I disagree with most of them. Oblivion is thrilling with it's explosive action and mind-boggling yet great story-line. The director lets you get to know the characters immensely well (with one or two exceptions...); he also manages to grab your emotions and lets you hang on the edge of your comfy seat/chair. It's not immensely intense or thrilling, but is to a nice extent. The actors portray their characters well, the cinematography is great, the music is good, the story is awesome all these things are great, but not phenomenal: so I give this film an... 8.4/10! Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2013
    This movie was very solid all around. I think the writers did a fantastic job with the plot by generating a very engaging story which makes you care about the characters. The story has a few twists and definitely will make you think a little. Furthermore, the special effects are all great with just the right amount of action and I think Cruise is very believable. In the end there reallyThis movie was very solid all around. I think the writers did a fantastic job with the plot by generating a very engaging story which makes you care about the characters. The story has a few twists and definitely will make you think a little. Furthermore, the special effects are all great with just the right amount of action and I think Cruise is very believable. In the end there really isn't much to complain about. If you are looking for a movie with a really awesome story and great effects I highly suggest this one. Expand
  29. Apr 20, 2013
    Although i hate tom cruise for being a bad controlling husband and a phsyco scientologist. I actually enjoy oblivion, great and good sci-fi. Good acting as expected from tom. 1st 45 mins kinda confusing, but the story slowly revealed all clues to the end. It's really worth it to watch at the big screen.
  30. Apr 21, 2013
    I honestly LOVED this movie. It's intriguing and engaging until the last minute of the film. Highly recommended. I was worried that the trailers gave away most of the mystery but they barely even scratched the surface of all the mysteries it has to unveil.

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.