7.0

1. Dec 8, 2014
    Engaging and beautiful. A well paced and thoughtful tale in this era of vacuous explosions. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise but I have to admit he plays this role well, and is well supported, especially by Andrea Riseborough.
  2. Sep 27, 2014
    This is the one of the best soundtracks i've ever heard and one of the best sci-fi movies i've ever seen. I can watch it over and over.
    Both have a magical atmosphere. I wish more movies like this.
  3. Jun 26, 2014
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage toWhile it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. For those who are sci-fi addicts this may be bland and forgetable, but those somewhat new to movies will enjoy it. Personally, I really just enjoyed this a lot. I'm sure if i go back and watch it again, it'll have more plot holes and errors than I remember. But I'd rather just remember being entertained for two hours, and leave that memory in the sweet land of nostalgia. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.

(Now I'm expecting Edge of Tomorrow to be even better than this because it was similar in format, a blend of sci-fi, and managed to pull it off even better.)
  4. Jun 13, 2014
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this movie but moreover the director and writer does an amazing job. It was gripping and will keep you guessing until the end. One of the best films of the year!
  5. Jun 7, 2014
    This movie was amazing to me. The art style was spot on and the story was very well done.

Tom Cruise made you feel like you were part of the struggle during the movie. The plot twist toward the end left me going saying "oh S**t!" Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick

Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick finish.. I felt a little robbed so I couldn't give this movie a 10.. but, still if your reading this.. GO SEE IT!
  6. Apr 21, 2014
    Muy buena, la recomiendo. Todo sorprende, la trama y las imagenes. Desde el comienzo hasta el final te mantiene boquiabierto. Tremendjo trabajo senor director.
  7. Mar 17, 2014
    Great movie. Much better than war of the worlds, good acting from tom cruise.
    A bit horrifying at times, maybe not the best word to use. But, good sci-fi story and movie.
    Great casting all throughout.
  8. Feb 18, 2014
    I can't think of a movie I've seen recently which has been more unfairly reviewed. Oblivion has been called dull, overlong and the performances lacking in humanity. When you follow the plot of the movie through to the end, you will realise how ludicrous the last charge is. This film is a stunning homage to 70s sci-fi - but pre-Star Wars 70s sci-fi. So if you're looking for trashI can't think of a movie I've seen recently which has been more unfairly reviewed. Oblivion has been called dull, overlong and the performances lacking in humanity. When you follow the plot of the movie through to the end, you will realise how ludicrous the last charge is. This film is a stunning homage to 70s sci-fi - but pre-Star Wars 70s sci-fi. So if you're looking for trash compactors, and trash-talking space princesses look elsewhere. Oblivion paints an epic landscape of barren post-apocalyptic wastelands, the sleekest technology populated only by an odd Adam-and-Eve pairing - sensual but alienated. All becomes clear in the fullness of time, and the mystery unfolds, deliciously, I think. There are themes here, the most obvious being ecological, but also in relationship to the role of memory in identity. For some there may be too many long shots and musings between the set-pieces, but these too are beautifully shot and nicely set up. Expand
  9. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible. I give it like a 9.4 really, but that is not an option. Only one thing, the scene where they for whatever reason decide to roll out the drone and then get attacked once they open the doors (why not wait until night? where were the scouts that caught one drone and sounded the alarm earlier? why not just open the doors and tell it to LAUNCH form where it is inside instead of putting it on a tractor? was a total Hollywood scene just to have people shoot, die, get blown up, win with losses...dumb for an otherwise brilliant movie). The scenery is amazing, the musical score is brilliant, acting phenomenal, story great (yes they did steal a few things from a few games/books/movies (Independence Day seems like the obvious, but there were sci-fi books with this plot even before, like Footfall). All around outstanding movie that should've scored higher than it did. If you like sci-fi, watch this film! Expand
  10. Dec 13, 2013
    actually had to sign up for metacritic so I could post this. for all the hatters out there, critics (to our left) who are as optimistic as a South Philadelphian sports fan, or people who just can root for Tom Cruise anymore... this was an amazing movie but just not just visually, storytelling as well. One of those movies where you can't wait to find out whats around the corner whileactually had to sign up for metacritic so I could post this. for all the hatters out there, critics (to our left) who are as optimistic as a South Philadelphian sports fan, or people who just can root for Tom Cruise anymore... this was an amazing movie but just not just visually, storytelling as well. One of those movies where you can't wait to find out whats around the corner while mentally crossing your fingers while you hope the story doesn't end. its got a little bit of everything, and it a hero story, the best kind. I know the real "critics" have to work from pessimism up (like dissing your government while you sit around and do nothing) but they're should be this type of reviewing section where some of us who aren't that jaded and numb to something original (and yes I do see similarities from other movies...we all live on this planet together) love to root for the hero, even if he once slide across a floor in his boxers... so for real, for once...stop hating.
    go into a movie with no expectations,little to/no previews (yes that is possible), and one day you might enjoy a movie again... almost like it was the first one you remember. BOOM 10.
  11. Sep 14, 2013
    I felt motivated to give this movie a review because of how critics were downgrading it,sure it was confusing in the details,and maybe it copied a lot from other movies,mabye tom cruise showed lack of emotion,but who really cares,it was great movie,great story,a movie I watched twice
  12. Sep 14, 2013
    There is nothing new under the sun, or so said Abraham. Movie fans had better get used to it. While there are a lot of familiar themes in Oblivion, they are all blended together in such a way to still surprise and audience. I found myself connecting with the main characters, even with little time or depth of dialogue to do so and was touched by the relationships and situations theyThere is nothing new under the sun, or so said Abraham. Movie fans had better get used to it. While there are a lot of familiar themes in Oblivion, they are all blended together in such a way to still surprise and audience. I found myself connecting with the main characters, even with little time or depth of dialogue to do so and was touched by the relationships and situations they found themselves in. There are many surprises to be had, much dramatic tension and some exciting action sequences. I'm putting this movie on my Buy list and I don't do that with many. Oh and yes there are underlying philosophical discussions in this film. It's a theme that was found in great works such as Blade Runner, you just have to be able to recognize it. Expand
  13. Sep 7, 2013
    I was really impressed with this movie. If you like movies like "Moon" then you'll love this movie. Its more for those who appreciate good acting and a enjoy a deep plot and well... are educated, something that most critics here lack.
  14. Sep 6, 2013
    The visuals created by PIXOMONDO studios are just stunning. The storyline introduced in this movie was very fascinating and the soundtrack by M.8.3 just great. A science-fiction thriller of diamond brilliance. Stands with the greatest movies in this genre.
  15. Sep 5, 2013
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage toWhile it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. Personally, I feel it was one of the best films I had ever seen. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.
  16. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Movie was awesome. Graphics were nice and acting good. Almost shed a tear. Better than twilight. Don't let computers get too powerful is the moral of the story. Expand
  17. Aug 19, 2013
    ITALIANO

Semplicemente fantastico, uno dei film sci-fi più belli degli ultimi tempi secondo me. Geniale la trama, ottimi effetti speciali e gran finalone con tanto di spiegazione di tutte le domande che ci si pone durante la visione. Finalmente un gran bel film, dopo la guerra dei mondi (sempre con Tom Cruise) un altro grandissimo dvd da aggiungere alla collezione. Cruise anche in
    ITALIANO

Cruise anche in questo film si dimostra a parere personale uno dei più bravi attori di sempre, caratterizzando ed inpersonando un personaggio che davvero in pochi avrebbero potuto far rendere come lui. FILM STUPENDO!
  18. Aug 9, 2013
    Don't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately aDon't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately a love story: a pair of souls separated by time, war and science desperately seeking to reunite. It is one of Tom Cruise's best performances. The Icelandic scenery mixed with seamless CGI is stunning and restrained. The pace seems excruciatingly slow, but is perfect for the situation. With just a couple of small forgettable flaws in the science, the story is completely believable. Joseph Kosinski's graphic novel background shows in almost every frame, with perfect shot composition and transition. I was completely captivated by the mise en scene. (Look it up, kiddies.) Forget comments about being “derivative” or “unoriginal”. That’s the nature of science fiction. Finally, the M83 soundtrack is so perfect, you don't notice it until the wonderful final credits. Buy or rent it, and you will watch it over and over again. Tom & Joseph: you did good. I look forward to great projects from both of you. Joseph, I just hope the Disney dreck you have lined up doesn't bring you down. Yes, we all gotta work. Expand
  19. Aug 8, 2013
    picked up the latest Science-Fiction epic Oblivion. Sometimes I get a little worried buying a movie sight unseen but this time it certainly did not disappoint! The movie stars Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman and was directed by Joseph Kosinski and based on his graphic novel of the same name. The movie is one of the apocalyptic films which displays the planet earth after it has been destroyedpicked up the latest Science-Fiction epic Oblivion. Sometimes I get a little worried buying a movie sight unseen but this time it certainly did not disappoint! The movie stars Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman and was directed by Joseph Kosinski and based on his graphic novel of the same name. The movie is one of the apocalyptic films which displays the planet earth after it has been destroyed by aliens.

I have decided this will be a spoiler free review because I think this is a movie you really need to see for yourself and to see it unfold before you. I will give a basic synopsis of the plot. It is the year 2077, 60 years after earth was invaded by aliens. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) and his partner Victoria "Vika" Owen, played by the beautiful Andrea Riseborough, are the only ones on after the invasion and they are there to repair drones that are fighting off the residual alien resistance. The surviving inhabitants of earth are living on Titan one of the moons of Saturn. Harper meets up with Malcolm Beech a resistance fighter played by the legendary Morgan Freeman (one of my very favorite actors) and he also begins to have flash backs to a time he was with a woman on the Empire State Building prior to the alien invasion. Things begin to unravel and we begin to see that appearances can be deceptive.

Pros: The cinematography and special effects are stellar. This movie is great eye candy but you do not get an overdose of it. The acting is great and two of my favorites, Cruise and Freeman, are in this film and do a fine job. This is my first time seeing Andrea Riseborough and I enjoyed her performance. She portrays a sense of vulnerability while also wanting to stay in denial concerning the things Jack is discovering. I do like the story. Some of the criticisms I have read that there are plot elements that we have seen in other movies. While I can agree with that assessment, I can also see that this is common in Hollywood movies. I am fine with movies that may have similar plot elements to other movies as long as it is executed well and that is the case with this movie. I also enjoy the story. The movie mixes romance, mystery and action adventure into a tale that will keep the viewer engaged and caring about all the characters throughout. Despite great special effects this is a very character driven movie.

Cons: I really have only one minor complaint. Director Kosinski wanted this movie to be an homage to the science fiction films of the 70s and in many way he succeeds in that endeavor. The movie is paced more like a film from the 70s and it is slower than the more kinetic pacing we modern viewers and grown accustomed to. Is that a fault of the directors or is it a fault of the viewer? I will place blame on myself. We live in a fast paced mircowave society that wants instant gratification. So it was hard to slow down and get absorbed into the story. I just wasn't used to it. So really this is not a con, it is just something that the viewer needs to be aware of when going in to the movie. It is an old-fashioned movie and as I think more on the pacing, it really does work even though some viewers might not be used to it.

This movie does have some good re watch capabilities for me. As a mystery there are clues throughout the movie and on more than one viewing you can pick up on these clues. In an era where science fiction films are heavy with CGI and are like cotton candy for the mind, this one is not. It will make you think and keep you on your toes.
  20. Aug 7, 2013
    What an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and aWhat an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and a story that is absolutely amazing. The plot developed at a perfect pace for the environment and created a setting that felt genuine throughout. The only flaw was that there were some elements left unexplained, but then again it is a sci-fi movie so it doesn't take too much from the experience. I don't understand why so many critics slammed this movie but they do tend to like weird, artsy fartsy garb and dislike anything resembling a well-made action film. While this movie didn't have much action, it seems like it does from trailers so don't expect a gung-ho modern shooter or anything. If anything, it feels more like a Matrix style film in terms of pace. Regardless, I've said as much as I can say without revealing too much. I think most people would likely agree that Oblivion is a sci-fi epic worthy of the 2 hours. Expand
  21. Aug 4, 2013
    Great film. Intriguing setting, great scenery. Cruise and Riseborough present the believable life of a repairman and his operator. It's hard to explain, but everything that made Minecraft great is what is so compelling about Jack Harper the solitary job, the castle in the sky, the grandeur of a vast post-apocalyptic Earth.

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows some reserve and acting chops that really sells it as the story opens up. Some of the plot twists are predictable, but never convoluted, and the film does a good job of keeping you titillated, but allowing you to figure it out for yourself. There is no narrator or monologue explaining what's going on, the story tells itself in true science fiction fashion.

The soundtrack is great too.
  22. Aug 2, 2013
    I loved this movie, I was totally immersed from start to finish. I have to tip my hat to M83 for their original score as well, it says a lot about a movie when you want to buy the soundtrack after watching it. I can't say enough about this film, it is definitely a must see.
  23. Aug 2, 2013
    The beautiful scene and imagery did caught me in the seat along with the nice background music. Although I wouldn't consider it as the best, but it's definitely not the worst as there are still some unanswered details left in the movie. Nevertheless it did capture my attention with the twist in story plot. It reminds me of that similar to The Island.
  24. Jul 29, 2013
    Oblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack willOblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack will notice a certain resemblance here, but this is certainly not a bad thing, rather the opposite. The story is sort of a composition of elements you might have seen in other scifi movies, but this is not always avoidable and not really a problem. The style and execution are brilliant so I'm very much looking forward to Kosinski's next film. Highly recommended! Expand
  25. Jul 29, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. I came to it with high expectations which normally kills a movie dead for me, but this didn't disappoint. 10 minutes in I was already riding the wave of beautiful visuals, stunning conceived technology and more than capable acting. I really enjoyed the story line path as it opened questions, invited possible answers and really left a good feeling at the end.I absolutely loved this movie. I came to it with high expectations which normally kills a movie dead for me, but this didn't disappoint. 10 minutes in I was already riding the wave of beautiful visuals, stunning conceived technology and more than capable acting. I really enjoyed the story line path as it opened questions, invited possible answers and really left a good feeling at the end. On a slight critical note the story did also create and leave a number of open ends that could cause the story problems which I wont mention here as may spoil the story if you haven't seen it. But this is all forgiven... I look forward to watching this again..... and again....and again.... Expand
  26. Jul 26, 2013
    A lovely visual experience, and a great science fiction movie. Its story is quite predictable, but is still intriguing and the viewers curiosity is maintained throughout the movie.

It's not non stop action, which is a good thing. Instead it delivers a chilling sci-fi mood. Highly recommended!
  27. Jul 24, 2013
    Why didn't i see this in theaters? Probably because it wasn't a sequel or remake. This is by far one of the best original sci-fi movies i have seen in a long time.
  28. Jul 23, 2013
    It's not original, but it is a really awesome watch. This film is breathtakingly beautiful and the beginning had me thinking 10, but when the main plot starts to evolve there is a problem or two. That being said the plot is plenty good enough to be effective and Tom Cruise does what Tom Cruise does best and that is be a star. It may be a film that takes many aspects from other greatIt's not original, but it is a really awesome watch. This film is breathtakingly beautiful and the beginning had me thinking 10, but when the main plot starts to evolve there is a problem or two. That being said the plot is plenty good enough to be effective and Tom Cruise does what Tom Cruise does best and that is be a star. It may be a film that takes many aspects from other great sci-fi films, but it does it very well. A Expand
  29. Jul 21, 2013
    Oblivion is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I really enjoyed the cgi effects, story kept me curious, acting was really great, acting was awesome. If you're looking for a great Sci-Fi movie, Oblivion is the best choice.
  30. Jun 15, 2013
    I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring butI'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring but Oblivion had much of the film cast in wide open, vast wastelands where the action scenes where clear and easy to follow. The plot was simple and intriguing, yet kept you interested throughout. The movie falls a little flat prior to the climax but it was a pleasant surprise to see such a good, yet different sci-fi movie because they just don't make very many good or original ones anymore. I will be in the store the day it gets released on blu-ray to get my copy! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.