7.0

1. May 6, 2013
    Leaving aside Tom Cruise haters, it is beyond me why anyone would give this movie less than a top mark. It has everything any science fiction buff would enjoy, put together in an outstanding and believable package. The cinematography is outstanding, with the animation well-integrated and an exceptional storyline.

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom Cruise's most recent science fiction movie, is not as polished or believable, yet garnered an 80 from critics. It would be a shame to believe that Phillip K. Dick is the reason for that rating. Dick is one of the best set piece science fiction writers, but does not reach for or achieve the breadth and vision of Oblivion.

Miss Oblivion in theaters at your own risk. This is one of a handful of movies whose small screen versions lose substantial impact on the small screen.
  2. Jul 24, 2013
    Why didn't i see this in theaters? Probably because it wasn't a sequel or remake. This is by far one of the best original sci-fi movies i have seen in a long time.
  3. Apr 20, 2013
    While the movie seems like a mixture of several different science fiction films, it is not fair to say it is unoriginal but it is more of a respectful throw back to the science fiction films of the 1970s. It has some spectacular action, some great concepts, and always beautiful imagery. It's not only worth checking out, its worth seeing, telling your friends about it and then seeing it again!
  4. Sep 6, 2013
    The visuals created by PIXOMONDO studios are just stunning. The storyline introduced in this movie was very fascinating and the soundtrack by M.8.3 just great. A science-fiction thriller of diamond brilliance. Stands with the greatest movies in this genre.
  5. Apr 20, 2013
    A real/serious sci-if film that takes its time to develop characters and creates an engaging story that kept me interested throughout. Some may complain about it being "special effects laden" but what do you expect? You're living in the past..it's very expensive to physically model everything. Anyway, I enjoyed it very much, Cruise still has it.
  6. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is a brilliant movie. Visually stunning, with an incredible soundtrack and a great plot that will keep you glued to the screen.
    Unlike many other scifi movies, the visuals and special fx are there to support the plot, instead of a silly plot made just to justify special fx and explosions.
    This is without a doubt one of the best movies i've recently seen.
  7. Apr 22, 2013
    Sadly an underrated movie here on metacritic, fairly close to the movie "moon" from an ideological perspective. I was pleasantly surprised to have my (low) expectations exceeded from Hollywood movie. The critics claim the movie does not ask any real questions, or that it does not answer any, but to be honest Oblivion does have it's finer points. One has to wonder if Oblivion is asking theSadly an underrated movie here on metacritic, fairly close to the movie "moon" from an ideological perspective. I was pleasantly surprised to have my (low) expectations exceeded from Hollywood movie. The critics claim the movie does not ask any real questions, or that it does not answer any, but to be honest Oblivion does have it's finer points. One has to wonder if Oblivion is asking the question that no one really wants to know the answer to. Expand
  8. Apr 21, 2013
    I honestly LOVED this movie. It's intriguing and engaging until the last minute of the film. Highly recommended. I was worried that the trailers gave away most of the mystery but they barely even scratched the surface of all the mysteries it has to unveil.
  9. Jul 29, 2013
    Oblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack willOblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack will notice a certain resemblance here, but this is certainly not a bad thing, rather the opposite. The story is sort of a composition of elements you might have seen in other scifi movies, but this is not always avoidable and not really a problem. The style and execution are brilliant so I'm very much looking forward to Kosinski's next film. Highly recommended! Expand
  10. Apr 22, 2013
    I disagree this is Matrix lite. This movie has elements of Matrix, as well as Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, Moon, and many other great sci-fi movies of the past 50 years. That makes this a great movie. Just when you think this movie is getting bland Hollywood plays the Morgan Freeman card that immediately makes any movie much more interesting especially a great space operaI disagree this is Matrix lite. This movie has elements of Matrix, as well as Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, Moon, and many other great sci-fi movies of the past 50 years. That makes this a great movie. Just when you think this movie is getting bland Hollywood plays the Morgan Freeman card that immediately makes any movie much more interesting especially a great space opera like this one. This is the movie we all wanted Prometheus to be last year but were left cold and confused. Expand
  11. Mar 17, 2014
    Great movie. Much better than war of the worlds, good acting from tom cruise.
    A bit horrifying at times, maybe not the best word to use. But, good sci-fi story and movie.
    Great casting all throughout.
  12. Apr 25, 2013
    Glad I paid no attention to the critics, saw the trailer, looked good, went to see it.
    I know many trailers look good and can and be rubbish, but I had a good feeling about this one.
    A few surprises and twists very cool film.
  13. Apr 20, 2013
    Oblivion is a movie with Science futuristic chicks, guns and futuristic alien scaves. It looks like a stupid movie with Tom Cruise kicking alien butt and saving Olga Kurenlenko in a tin box but this movie takes turns and twists throughout. The story with former human machine "finder" Jack Harper who can't erase his past that's left on earth and joins up with a spaceship controller to huntOblivion is a movie with Science futuristic chicks, guns and futuristic alien scaves. It looks like a stupid movie with Tom Cruise kicking alien butt and saving Olga Kurenlenko in a tin box but this movie takes turns and twists throughout. The story with former human machine "finder" Jack Harper who can't erase his past that's left on earth and joins up with a spaceship controller to hunt down aliens and stay alive by their faithful machines. Now, it may sound that Oblivion is just IMAX produced crap by the TRON Legacy director- Joseph Kosinski. But it's not, the movie's dazzling chases and heart stopping moments keep it running and paced up. Then you see a human/machine hunter Morgan Freeman who knows about Jack's wife and his past and will do anything to take over this world. But not until Cruise kicks ass! Oblivion is a fresh exotic movie that's totally breathtaking. It starts off slow but then the movie paces up. Bravo. Expand
  14. Aug 2, 2013
    The beautiful scene and imagery did caught me in the seat along with the nice background music. Although I wouldn't consider it as the best, but it's definitely not the worst as there are still some unanswered details left in the movie. Nevertheless it did capture my attention with the twist in story plot. It reminds me of that similar to The Island.
  15. Jul 26, 2013
    A lovely visual experience, and a great science fiction movie. Its story is quite predictable, but is still intriguing and the viewers curiosity is maintained throughout the movie.

It's not non stop action, which is a good thing. Instead it delivers a chilling sci-fi mood. Highly recommended!
  16. Apr 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oblivion is a true to the art of science fiction film. I love the blend of photo-realistic CGI with the live-action scenes. With a beautiful cast, I feel as if Tom Cruise was picked perfectly for this role, he nailed it! The Director, Joseph Kosinski, directed his 2nd master-piece, (his 1st is Tron Legacy). If you are a Hard SF fan, this movie is for you! By far my favourite Sci-Fi movie this Year!!!!! Expand
  17. Aug 19, 2013
    ITALIANO

Semplicemente fantastico, uno dei film sci-fi più belli degli ultimi tempi secondo me. Geniale la trama, ottimi effetti speciali e gran finalone con tanto di spiegazione di tutte le domande che ci si pone durante la visione. Finalmente un gran bel film, dopo la guerra dei mondi (sempre con Tom Cruise) un altro grandissimo dvd da aggiungere alla collezione. Cruise anche in
    ITALIANO

Cruise anche in questo film si dimostra a parere personale uno dei più bravi attori di sempre, caratterizzando ed inpersonando un personaggio che davvero in pochi avrebbero potuto far rendere come lui. FILM STUPENDO!
  18. Jun 1, 2013
    This movie is absolutely amazing, the setting, the effects, the story, acting and the soundtracks are just AMAZING. You should definitely check this movie out, you won't regret it!
  19. Jun 2, 2013
    Oblivion is an incredible movie. Not only are the visuals stunning, but the story is beautiful and all the plot-lines are tied up by the end of the movie. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman play their parts excellently, and the soundtrack is a masterpiece. Would highly recommend to anyone, especially fans of 70's and modern science fiction.
  20. Aug 8, 2013
    picked up the latest Science-Fiction epic Oblivion. Sometimes I get a little worried buying a movie sight unseen but this time it certainly did not disappoint! The movie stars Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman and was directed by Joseph Kosinski and based on his graphic novel of the same name. The movie is one of the apocalyptic films which displays the planet earth after it has been destroyedpicked up the latest Science-Fiction epic Oblivion. Sometimes I get a little worried buying a movie sight unseen but this time it certainly did not disappoint! The movie stars Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman and was directed by Joseph Kosinski and based on his graphic novel of the same name. The movie is one of the apocalyptic films which displays the planet earth after it has been destroyed by aliens.

I have decided this will be a spoiler free review because I think this is a movie you really need to see for yourself and to see it unfold before you. I will give a basic synopsis of the plot. It is the year 2077, 60 years after earth was invaded by aliens. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) and his partner Victoria "Vika" Owen, played by the beautiful Andrea Riseborough, are the only ones on after the invasion and they are there to repair drones that are fighting off the residual alien resistance. The surviving inhabitants of earth are living on Titan one of the moons of Saturn. Harper meets up with Malcolm Beech a resistance fighter played by the legendary Morgan Freeman (one of my very favorite actors) and he also begins to have flash backs to a time he was with a woman on the Empire State Building prior to the alien invasion. Things begin to unravel and we begin to see that appearances can be deceptive.

Pros: The cinematography and special effects are stellar. This movie is great eye candy but you do not get an overdose of it. The acting is great and two of my favorites, Cruise and Freeman, are in this film and do a fine job. This is my first time seeing Andrea Riseborough and I enjoyed her performance. She portrays a sense of vulnerability while also wanting to stay in denial concerning the things Jack is discovering. I do like the story. Some of the criticisms I have read that there are plot elements that we have seen in other movies. While I can agree with that assessment, I can also see that this is common in Hollywood movies. I am fine with movies that may have similar plot elements to other movies as long as it is executed well and that is the case with this movie. I also enjoy the story. The movie mixes romance, mystery and action adventure into a tale that will keep the viewer engaged and caring about all the characters throughout. Despite great special effects this is a very character driven movie.

Cons: I really have only one minor complaint. Director Kosinski wanted this movie to be an homage to the science fiction films of the 70s and in many way he succeeds in that endeavor. The movie is paced more like a film from the 70s and it is slower than the more kinetic pacing we modern viewers and grown accustomed to. Is that a fault of the directors or is it a fault of the viewer? I will place blame on myself. We live in a fast paced mircowave society that wants instant gratification. So it was hard to slow down and get absorbed into the story. I just wasn't used to it. So really this is not a con, it is just something that the viewer needs to be aware of when going in to the movie. It is an old-fashioned movie and as I think more on the pacing, it really does work even though some viewers might not be used to it.

This movie does have some good re watch capabilities for me. As a mystery there are clues throughout the movie and on more than one viewing you can pick up on these clues. In an era where science fiction films are heavy with CGI and are like cotton candy for the mind, this one is not. It will make you think and keep you on your toes.
  21. Sep 14, 2013
    There is nothing new under the sun, or so said Abraham. Movie fans had better get used to it. While there are a lot of familiar themes in Oblivion, they are all blended together in such a way to still surprise and audience. I found myself connecting with the main characters, even with little time or depth of dialogue to do so and was touched by the relationships and situations theyThere is nothing new under the sun, or so said Abraham. Movie fans had better get used to it. While there are a lot of familiar themes in Oblivion, they are all blended together in such a way to still surprise and audience. I found myself connecting with the main characters, even with little time or depth of dialogue to do so and was touched by the relationships and situations they found themselves in. There are many surprises to be had, much dramatic tension and some exciting action sequences. I'm putting this movie on my Buy list and I don't do that with many. Oh and yes there are underlying philosophical discussions in this film. It's a theme that was found in great works such as Blade Runner, you just have to be able to recognize it. Expand
  22. Jul 21, 2013
    Oblivion is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I really enjoyed the cgi effects, story kept me curious, acting was really great, acting was awesome. If you're looking for a great Sci-Fi movie, Oblivion is the best choice.
  23. Jul 29, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. I came to it with high expectations which normally kills a movie dead for me, but this didn't disappoint. 10 minutes in I was already riding the wave of beautiful visuals, stunning conceived technology and more than capable acting. I really enjoyed the story line path as it opened questions, invited possible answers and really left a good feeling at the end.I absolutely loved this movie. I came to it with high expectations which normally kills a movie dead for me, but this didn't disappoint. 10 minutes in I was already riding the wave of beautiful visuals, stunning conceived technology and more than capable acting. I really enjoyed the story line path as it opened questions, invited possible answers and really left a good feeling at the end. On a slight critical note the story did also create and leave a number of open ends that could cause the story problems which I wont mention here as may spoil the story if you haven't seen it. But this is all forgiven... I look forward to watching this again..... and again....and again.... Expand
  24. Aug 2, 2013
    I loved this movie, I was totally immersed from start to finish. I have to tip my hat to M83 for their original score as well, it says a lot about a movie when you want to buy the soundtrack after watching it. I can't say enough about this film, it is definitely a must see.
  25. Sep 5, 2013
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage toWhile it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. Personally, I feel it was one of the best films I had ever seen. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.
  26. Dec 13, 2013
    actually had to sign up for metacritic so I could post this. for all the hatters out there, critics (to our left) who are as optimistic as a South Philadelphian sports fan, or people who just can root for Tom Cruise anymore... this was an amazing movie but just not just visually, storytelling as well. One of those movies where you can't wait to find out whats around the corner whileactually had to sign up for metacritic so I could post this. for all the hatters out there, critics (to our left) who are as optimistic as a South Philadelphian sports fan, or people who just can root for Tom Cruise anymore... this was an amazing movie but just not just visually, storytelling as well. One of those movies where you can't wait to find out whats around the corner while mentally crossing your fingers while you hope the story doesn't end. its got a little bit of everything, and it a hero story, the best kind. I know the real "critics" have to work from pessimism up (like dissing your government while you sit around and do nothing) but they're should be this type of reviewing section where some of us who aren't that jaded and numb to something original (and yes I do see similarities from other movies...we all live on this planet together) love to root for the hero, even if he once slide across a floor in his boxers... so for real, for once...stop hating.
    go into a movie with no expectations,little to/no previews (yes that is possible), and one day you might enjoy a movie again... almost like it was the first one you remember. BOOM 10.
  27. Jun 13, 2014
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this movie but moreover the director and writer does an amazing job. It was gripping and will keep you guessing until the end. One of the best films of the year!
  28. Sep 27, 2014
    This is the one of the best soundtracks i've ever heard and one of the best sci-fi movies i've ever seen. I can watch it over and over.
    Both have a magical atmosphere. I wish more movies like this.
  29. Feb 22, 2015
    Attractive people have to literally see an exact copy of themselves before realizing that ugly "spotted dick" Morgan freeman has know about the machine and the matrix this whole time.....just like most ugly people
  30. Jun 15, 2013
    I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring butI'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring but Oblivion had much of the film cast in wide open, vast wastelands where the action scenes where clear and easy to follow. The plot was simple and intriguing, yet kept you interested throughout. The movie falls a little flat prior to the climax but it was a pleasant surprise to see such a good, yet different sci-fi movie because they just don't make very many good or original ones anymore. I will be in the store the day it gets released on blu-ray to get my copy! Expand
  31. Apr 20, 2013
    Pure Sci-fi. My favorite type of Sci-fi. For the "fi" to work the "Sci" has to be believable. While there was plenty of edge of the seat action it wasn't just an action flick and, while there were some creative plot twists it wasn't overly cerebral. I'm no Tom Cruise worshiper but I thought it was well acted. Thankfully we were spared the campy "one liners". I'll pay to see it again.
  32. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible. I give it like a 9.4 really, but that is not an option. Only one thing, the scene where they for whatever reason decide to roll out the drone and then get attacked once they open the doors (why not wait until night? where were the scouts that caught one drone and sounded the alarm earlier? why not just open the doors and tell it to LAUNCH form where it is inside instead of putting it on a tractor? was a total Hollywood scene just to have people shoot, die, get blown up, win with losses...dumb for an otherwise brilliant movie). The scenery is amazing, the musical score is brilliant, acting phenomenal, story great (yes they did steal a few things from a few games/books/movies (Independence Day seems like the obvious, but there were sci-fi books with this plot even before, like Footfall). All around outstanding movie that should've scored higher than it did. If you like sci-fi, watch this film! Expand
  33. Apr 25, 2013
    Oblivion is a hell of a film. It achieves what the Matrix Trilogy attempted to in one movie. A great follow up to his first movie, which was the Tron sequel.
  34. May 29, 2013
    For my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot ofFor my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot of sci-fi writers in particular will argue that your memories make up who you are, and so the end to the film brought it all full circle for me. I loved it. Expand
  35. Apr 23, 2013
    An unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency isAn unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency is significantly above average (with few and insignificant gaffes or inexplicable moments and absolutely no major plot holes Thank you!), the pacing wasn't frantic or boring with exposition of characters and backstory well-spaced throughout the movie. I'll probably go see it again, just because movies like this are too few and far in between. Expand
  36. Apr 19, 2013
    Amazing movie with a plot that will keep you on your toes waiting for the next reveal (while you might guess some of the plot there is no way you will guess it all!). True sci-fi. Best movie I have seen in the last 12 months. Loved it!
  37. Apr 20, 2013
    Oblivion is a great movie. There may be some small things that you can predict, but the movie overall just leaves you with a such an amazing feeling at the end, it's great. The visuals are gorgeous and for a movie based on one person roaming a wasteland of a planet, I didn't find myself feeling like any scenes were just dragging along. This is definitely a film worth seeing. Finally, IOblivion is a great movie. There may be some small things that you can predict, but the movie overall just leaves you with a such an amazing feeling at the end, it's great. The visuals are gorgeous and for a movie based on one person roaming a wasteland of a planet, I didn't find myself feeling like any scenes were just dragging along. This is definitely a film worth seeing. Finally, I would like to voice my appreciation for a studio finally releasing a sci-fi film where the story and acting don't completely suck. Expand
  38. Sep 7, 2013
    I was really impressed with this movie. If you like movies like "Moon" then you'll love this movie. Its more for those who appreciate good acting and a enjoy a deep plot and well... are educated, something that most critics here lack.
  39. Apr 21, 2013
    A good movie, Regardless of the 0's and sour apples writing reviews I would give this about an 8.7.
    The movie was pretty slow and they threw in random suspense. They should have made the movie shorter. Other then that the movies plot was good, the cgi was awesome...

Come on people its a sci-fi movie and a fairly good one at that.. why do purist have to come and write reviews giving it a 0/10 its childish.

I have not went to the theaters in more then 3 years, I choose to go watch oblivion and was not disappointed, and neither will most people who like sci-fi movies.
  40. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is so sophisticated and subtle as to perhaps be an art film. This is great science fiction as comes along only once in a decade--if we are lucky. Tom Cruise is such a lightening rod for critics that they can't actually suspend their disbelief and follow the movie. This film is complex, subtle, beautiful, with stunning actresses and excellent actors. The major flaw is that keyOblivion is so sophisticated and subtle as to perhaps be an art film. This is great science fiction as comes along only once in a decade--if we are lucky. Tom Cruise is such a lightening rod for critics that they can't actually suspend their disbelief and follow the movie. This film is complex, subtle, beautiful, with stunning actresses and excellent actors. The major flaw is that key pieces of information are passed along only once and in mumbled dialog, so one might feel lost near the end. For me, it was completely worth it. This is not a movie you have seen before, though you might see it again. If you loved Cloud Atlas, you will love this film, too.. Expand
  41. Aug 7, 2013
    What an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and aWhat an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and a story that is absolutely amazing. The plot developed at a perfect pace for the environment and created a setting that felt genuine throughout. The only flaw was that there were some elements left unexplained, but then again it is a sci-fi movie so it doesn't take too much from the experience. I don't understand why so many critics slammed this movie but they do tend to like weird, artsy fartsy garb and dislike anything resembling a well-made action film. While this movie didn't have much action, it seems like it does from trailers so don't expect a gung-ho modern shooter or anything. If anything, it feels more like a Matrix style film in terms of pace. Regardless, I've said as much as I can say without revealing too much. I think most people would likely agree that Oblivion is a sci-fi epic worthy of the 2 hours. Expand
  42. Apr 20, 2013
    This movie was very solid all around. I think the writers did a fantastic job with the plot by generating a very engaging story which makes you care about the characters. The story has a few twists and definitely will make you think a little. Furthermore, the special effects are all great with just the right amount of action and I think Cruise is very believable. In the end there reallyThis movie was very solid all around. I think the writers did a fantastic job with the plot by generating a very engaging story which makes you care about the characters. The story has a few twists and definitely will make you think a little. Furthermore, the special effects are all great with just the right amount of action and I think Cruise is very believable. In the end there really isn't much to complain about. If you are looking for a movie with a really awesome story and great effects I highly suggest this one. Expand
  43. Apr 29, 2013
    These film is the greatest movie that I have seen this year!!! I'm very satisfied with the quality oft the film. It has 4x times higher quality than HD, I like the story, it makes you feel confused a little, but that's the true meaning of making a movie... The beginning, the middle, the ending was very good, it surely a must watch movie!!!
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a perfect blend acting...
    I hope another kind like this film will be showed up...
    Getting excited for the future of film!!!
  44. May 22, 2013
    If you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot deviceIf you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot device named Bob) well worth overlooking. Expand
  45. Apr 19, 2013
    While the premise and some factors of the movie may seem underwhelming going in, Oblivion not only delivers, but makes for an enjoyable and smart sci-fi movie well worth the price of admission. The scale of the movie is excellent, set pieces are huge and memorable, the visual feel is tremendous and helps create a genuine atmosphere. With that, the soundtrack by M83 is engrossing andWhile the premise and some factors of the movie may seem underwhelming going in, Oblivion not only delivers, but makes for an enjoyable and smart sci-fi movie well worth the price of admission. The scale of the movie is excellent, set pieces are huge and memorable, the visual feel is tremendous and helps create a genuine atmosphere. With that, the soundtrack by M83 is engrossing and excellent. Tom Cruise plays a solid main role, that didn't sell me at first but did later on, his scenes with Andrea Riseborough are among the best of the film. Add in some unexpected and truly great twists, and I'm happily surprised with this movie and it turns from what I'd expected to be a good movie, to a great one. Expand
  46. Aug 4, 2013
    Great film. Intriguing setting, great scenery. Cruise and Riseborough present the believable life of a repairman and his operator. It's hard to explain, but everything that made Minecraft great is what is so compelling about Jack Harper the solitary job, the castle in the sky, the grandeur of a vast post-apocalyptic Earth.

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows some reserve and acting chops that really sells it as the story opens up. Some of the plot twists are predictable, but never convoluted, and the film does a good job of keeping you titillated, but allowing you to figure it out for yourself. There is no narrator or monologue explaining what's going on, the story tells itself in true science fiction fashion.

The soundtrack is great too.
  47. May 13, 2013
    A TRILLION TIMES BETTER THAN IRON MAN 3...It''s sad how movies like this get dwarfed by massive piles of crap movies like iron man 3. This movie was a sci fi work of art. Amazing soundtrack. glorious visuals. a True gem to behold for sci fi fans. If you want a sci fi flick that touches your emotions, watch this. However if your expecting some stupid action, and stupid mindless fun...this isnt it
  48. Apr 20, 2013
    The emotional weight, strong acting, and impressive visuals are enough to make the film a must-see. The story is much stronger than its getting credit for, and although some pieces seem familiar, they are grounded in plot and explanations that hardly make them derivative. This has underrated written all over it.
  49. Jun 7, 2014
    This movie was amazing to me. The art style was spot on and the story was very well done.

Tom Cruise made you feel like you were part of the struggle during the movie. The plot twist toward the end left me going saying "oh S**t!" Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick

Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick finish.. I felt a little robbed so I couldn't give this movie a 10.. but, still if your reading this.. GO SEE IT!
  50. Jul 23, 2013
    It's not original, but it is a really awesome watch. This film is breathtakingly beautiful and the beginning had me thinking 10, but when the main plot starts to evolve there is a problem or two. That being said the plot is plenty good enough to be effective and Tom Cruise does what Tom Cruise does best and that is be a star. It may be a film that takes many aspects from other greatIt's not original, but it is a really awesome watch. This film is breathtakingly beautiful and the beginning had me thinking 10, but when the main plot starts to evolve there is a problem or two. That being said the plot is plenty good enough to be effective and Tom Cruise does what Tom Cruise does best and that is be a star. It may be a film that takes many aspects from other great sci-fi films, but it does it very well. A Expand
  51. Apr 23, 2013
    Krasinski's involvement gave me trepidations because of the miasma that was Tron: Legacy's plot. This outing proves he can do more than just visuals. Excellent performances all around and a great third act. This one has some depth. Great soundtrack from M83 as well.
  52. Apr 23, 2013
    You can read my review of the Tom Cruise science fiction action thriller "Oblivion" here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/oblivion.html
  53. Apr 24, 2013
    I don't understand how everyone hates this movie. I found it to be really enjoyable and exciting to watch, this might not be for the all out action movie fans, they can go watch mission impossible or something, but for everybody else I strongly recommend this movie, it's romantic, it's dramatic, there is quite alot of action, there are great characters and there is a nice backstory toI don't understand how everyone hates this movie. I found it to be really enjoyable and exciting to watch, this might not be for the all out action movie fans, they can go watch mission impossible or something, but for everybody else I strongly recommend this movie, it's romantic, it's dramatic, there is quite alot of action, there are great characters and there is a nice backstory to everything. I just would've liked seeing more of what happened pre invasion and where this enemy came from. Expand
  54. May 15, 2013
    See this movie; in parts it is convoluted and the end is somewhat trite but overall it is one of the better, more imaginative sci fi outings of recent years. I loved it.
  55. May 12, 2013
    I am thinking that film critic underrated the sci-fi film "Oblivion" and over time the film will be credited with being a classic in the sci-fi genre by film critics. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and think it is one of the best films this year. It is a visual feast with outstanding production values in all aspects of film making and hope that more people will get out to see it beforeI am thinking that film critic underrated the sci-fi film "Oblivion" and over time the film will be credited with being a classic in the sci-fi genre by film critics. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and think it is one of the best films this year. It is a visual feast with outstanding production values in all aspects of film making and hope that more people will get out to see it before it is buried by lesser efforts. Put aside your dislike of Tom Cruise and get out to see the film. I understand that if their is to be a sequel it all depends on its Box Office success. Expand
  56. Jan 13, 2015
    Not perfect, not always original, but still hugely enjoyable, well-played and beautiful shot; "Oblivion" may not have the full package of "Edge of Tomorrow", but it's still another example of how well Cruise does Sci-Fi ("Minority Report", "War of the Worlds"). Underrated and worth a watch. Also looks great on Blu-ray.
  57. Aug 9, 2013
    Don't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately aDon't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately a love story: a pair of souls separated by time, war and science desperately seeking to reunite. It is one of Tom Cruise's best performances. The Icelandic scenery mixed with seamless CGI is stunning and restrained. The pace seems excruciatingly slow, but is perfect for the situation. With just a couple of small forgettable flaws in the science, the story is completely believable. Joseph Kosinski's graphic novel background shows in almost every frame, with perfect shot composition and transition. I was completely captivated by the mise en scene. (Look it up, kiddies.) Forget comments about being “derivative” or “unoriginal”. That’s the nature of science fiction. Finally, the M83 soundtrack is so perfect, you don't notice it until the wonderful final credits. Buy or rent it, and you will watch it over and over again. Tom & Joseph: you did good. I look forward to great projects from both of you. Joseph, I just hope the Disney dreck you have lined up doesn't bring you down. Yes, we all gotta work. Expand
  58. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Movie was awesome. Graphics were nice and acting good. Almost shed a tear. Better than twilight. Don't let computers get too powerful is the moral of the story. Expand
  59. Sep 14, 2013
    I felt motivated to give this movie a review because of how critics were downgrading it,sure it was confusing in the details,and maybe it copied a lot from other movies,mabye tom cruise showed lack of emotion,but who really cares,it was great movie,great story,a movie I watched twice
  60. Feb 18, 2014
    I can't think of a movie I've seen recently which has been more unfairly reviewed. Oblivion has been called dull, overlong and the performances lacking in humanity. When you follow the plot of the movie through to the end, you will realise how ludicrous the last charge is. This film is a stunning homage to 70s sci-fi - but pre-Star Wars 70s sci-fi. So if you're looking for trashI can't think of a movie I've seen recently which has been more unfairly reviewed. Oblivion has been called dull, overlong and the performances lacking in humanity. When you follow the plot of the movie through to the end, you will realise how ludicrous the last charge is. This film is a stunning homage to 70s sci-fi - but pre-Star Wars 70s sci-fi. So if you're looking for trash compactors, and trash-talking space princesses look elsewhere. Oblivion paints an epic landscape of barren post-apocalyptic wastelands, the sleekest technology populated only by an odd Adam-and-Eve pairing - sensual but alienated. All becomes clear in the fullness of time, and the mystery unfolds, deliciously, I think. There are themes here, the most obvious being ecological, but also in relationship to the role of memory in identity. For some there may be too many long shots and musings between the set-pieces, but these too are beautifully shot and nicely set up. Expand
  61. Jun 26, 2014
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage toWhile it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. For those who are sci-fi addicts this may be bland and forgetable, but those somewhat new to movies will enjoy it. Personally, I really just enjoyed this a lot. I'm sure if i go back and watch it again, it'll have more plot holes and errors than I remember. But I'd rather just remember being entertained for two hours, and leave that memory in the sweet land of nostalgia. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.

(Now I'm expecting Edge of Tomorrow to be even better than this because it was similar in format, a blend of sci-fi, and managed to pull it off even better.)
  62. Apr 21, 2014
    Muy buena, la recomiendo. Todo sorprende, la trama y las imagenes. Desde el comienzo hasta el final te mantiene boquiabierto. Tremendjo trabajo senor director.
  63. Dec 8, 2014
    Engaging and beautiful. A well paced and thoughtful tale in this era of vacuous explosions. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise but I have to admit he plays this role well, and is well supported, especially by Andrea Riseborough.
  64. Sep 20, 2013
    Maybe the ending was a bit of a letdown but the first three quarters of this are a slick, eye-popping sc-fi lover's wet dream. I liked this a whole lot. What the heck is Slant Magazine? Metacritic's scoring is, as so often, head scratching.
  65. Apr 21, 2013
    I really enjoyed Oblivion. At times I felt like the creators had spent some time watching Tron Legacy for inspiration and flashes of futuristic art direction. I even felt that the movie represents a lot of what the upcoming game from Bungie (creators of the "Halo" franchise) have in store for "Destiny" (for you gamers out there, you'll know what I mean). The movie is straight-up cool.I really enjoyed Oblivion. At times I felt like the creators had spent some time watching Tron Legacy for inspiration and flashes of futuristic art direction. I even felt that the movie represents a lot of what the upcoming game from Bungie (creators of the "Halo" franchise) have in store for "Destiny" (for you gamers out there, you'll know what I mean). The movie is straight-up cool. The music score was powerful. Tom Cruise doesn't get in the way. The final scenes of the movie may surprise many (it certainly caught me off guard). It's unfortunate that this movie isn't perfect, because what a monumental experience that would have been. It certainly would have made it harder for the upcoming Star Trek to standout. But the gist of it is: Oblivion is good. Some won't absolutely love it, but I believe most will enjoy it. Expand
  66. Apr 24, 2013
    It's yet another post apocalyptic world, this time with Tom Cruise as one of the survivors. His job is to maintain droids that patrol the wasteland, until things happen that set the plot in motion. While the story isn't especially original and the action sequences are only average, the rest is pretty cool. This world has neat futuristic stuff, dazzling scenery and great design. While it'sIt's yet another post apocalyptic world, this time with Tom Cruise as one of the survivors. His job is to maintain droids that patrol the wasteland, until things happen that set the plot in motion. While the story isn't especially original and the action sequences are only average, the rest is pretty cool. This world has neat futuristic stuff, dazzling scenery and great design. While it's 15 minutes too long, it's a scifi treat for the imagination. Expand
  67. Oct 9, 2013
    Oblivion totally shocked me. I walked in expecting a forgettable Sci-Fi flick. I walked out with the notion of just having seen one of the best science fiction films of the last ten years. The film really hit base with me; I loved the tone, visual style, soundtrack and the emotional human element. And man oh man... Those action scenes! Oh yes!
  68. Apr 22, 2013
    I good, but not a great movie. Tom Cruise (whom I'm not a fan of) does a great job in this film. The plot is reminiscent of the movie "The Island". The world is beautiful, effect are not over done, and the is music fantastic.

Where the score comes down is there are some scenes that are a little too long. There are also parts that are over explained, that i find dumbs the movies down for people who may not get it otherwise.
  69. Apr 20, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie I wouldnt say its the best movie of 2013 but it made me pay attention. The twist was pretty nice idea and Morgan Freeman playing a bad ass was a treat.
  70. Apr 24, 2013
    Glad to see that the user score on this site is about right despite what the critics say. This is an honest sci-fi action movie, not overly pretentious, not trying to seem deep and philosophical when it is not. The story is not something out of the ordinary, but neither it is a standard (as in completely braindead) Hollywood story. It feels like a mix of classical sci-fi movies, but not inGlad to see that the user score on this site is about right despite what the critics say. This is an honest sci-fi action movie, not overly pretentious, not trying to seem deep and philosophical when it is not. The story is not something out of the ordinary, but neither it is a standard (as in completely braindead) Hollywood story. It feels like a mix of classical sci-fi movies, but not in a dumb copycat way. Yes, it left some questions unanswered, but still it worked for me and I was not facepalming every ten minutes which is more what I can say about most of the recent sci-fi movies. And it looks amazing too. Expand
  71. Aug 13, 2013
    Oblivion takes elements from a hodge-podge of science fiction films, but still manages to juxtapose them in a way that makes for something vaguely original. Even if the film is paying homage to Moon, Star Trek, and other hints of films/novels that I didn’t even recognize--for example, was there a wink at Cloud Atlas in the plot device where clones think they’re headed for Paradise whenOblivion takes elements from a hodge-podge of science fiction films, but still manages to juxtapose them in a way that makes for something vaguely original. Even if the film is paying homage to Moon, Star Trek, and other hints of films/novels that I didn’t even recognize--for example, was there a wink at Cloud Atlas in the plot device where clones think they’re headed for Paradise when their work shift is over? Nevertheless, despite the similarities to a host of other films, there is something intriguing about the three main characters, Jack, Julia, and Victoria, played by Tom Cruise, Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough. It is Cruise himself who saves the movie from, well, from oblivion, because it is a perfect vehicle for his boyish looks (he looks 30, not 50) and his saintly quality of being a protector and a savior.

The Earth is ravaged by a war started by invading aliens, who were presumably defeated by human nuclear weapons. But the nuclear war ravaged the planet, and the aliens destroyed the moon which wreaked global climate change. The surviving human race has taken up residence on Saturn’s moon Titan, and a few pockets of aliens, called Scavs for scavengers, are still wandering around on Earth trying to prevent the humans from getting the energy they need for Titan from the ocean, whose water is siphoned up through a huge pyramid hovering in the sky.

This is what Jack (Tom Cruise) and Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) sincerely believe. Their job at a remote outpost, which looks like the condo of the future, is to protect the siphoning process with the help of drones that Jack has to repair, daily risking his life whenever he leaves the outpost, while Victoria provides backup at the station and stays in touch with Sally at Mission Control, who masterminds the project. But the truth is that there is no colony on Titan, and the so-called Scavs, led by Morgan Freeman, are all that’s left of the human race. The drones and the pyramid are powered by the triumphant aliens who destroyed Earth looking for new energy resources. Jack and Victoria are lovers, due to a misunderstanding by the Alien Emperor (who takes on the form of Sally from NASA). When Jack and Victoria were captured, it was just the two of them, and a recent photograph with their heads together made Alien Sally think they were shacking up (which she calls being “an effective team”). So all the Jack and Victoria clones are a romantic couple. Jack was in fact married to another astronaut, Julia (Olga Kurylenko), who was released into outer space with the rest of the team just before capture as she slept in suspended animation.

Even though Jack is a clone whose memory has been wiped out as a precaution against capture, he keeps having dreams and memories of Julia. He also finds a little piece of Earth that is still intact, a retreat where he builds a shack, plays records, and collect books and mementos of whatever he can find from the old days. Finally, Julia’s capsule crash lands, the drones close in and destroy the sleeping astronauts, but Jack waves off the drone from Julia’s sleeping chamber. After awakening Julia, his memory keeps getting stronger, but Victoria, back at the condo, is truly a brainwashed clone, and she eventually reports him to Sally and is terminated for her trouble.

The [Icelandic] landscapes are spectacular (and do I see shades of Prometheus?), and though the plot is predictable and perhaps heavily reliant on other sources, it still shines through with a note of redemption, renewal, and faith in the resilience of the human race. And Tom Cruise is the perfect hero to communicate that positive message, a sort of clone in shining armor, if you will--and oh, yes, he’s also really cute.
  72. Xon
    Jul 24, 2013
    This story could easily have been a trilogy or a two part. Most charaters seem two dimensional because everything seems rushed to get the basic story told. However, the scenery is brilliant and I didn't feel the time pass.
  73. Apr 21, 2013
    Let me preface my remarks with two clarifying statements. Statement 1: I firmly believe that any work, be it film, game, or any other media, should be primarily judged against what it set out to do, and less against other works, primarily those which do not share its objectives. Statement 2: I was expecting very little from this movie: cool special effects and some Morgan Freeman. WithLet me preface my remarks with two clarifying statements. Statement 1: I firmly believe that any work, be it film, game, or any other media, should be primarily judged against what it set out to do, and less against other works, primarily those which do not share its objectives. Statement 2: I was expecting very little from this movie: cool special effects and some Morgan Freeman. With both of those points in mind, I can honestly say that I was extremely impressed with Oblivion. Let's run it down. The relatively simple concept outlined in the trailer belies the complexity and creativity of the actual film. Drawing upon the best writing traditions of the plot-twist era, like the golden days of The Twilight Zone, this film takes you on a rapidly-turning plot that does its best to keep you off balance. At the same time, however, it provides clues and subtleties that allow the sharp-eyed and analytical viewer to potentially unravel the plot's mysteries before they're shown. The writers deserve major kudos for their plot work, even if sometimes the dialogue is a little, well, over-dramatic. (Which, in the heat of the moment, can be forgiven; there are no real "rolling my eyes in disbelief" lines.) Given that I was expected two hours of watching Tom Cruise's Amazing Performing Ego, I was extremely pleased to see that he was actually a part of the cast and a believable addition to the film's world, so director Joseph Kosinski also deserves a significant pat on the back. While it would be easy to call Andrea Riseborough's performance wooden and/or forced, if you actually pay attention to the film and its plot, you'll discover that hers is one of the most genuine, authentic, and meaningful portrayals in the film; this should be considered a highlight of her career. And while Olga Kurylenko isn't quite at A+ level, she nevertheless turns in an extremely good performance. Finally, the set and scenery crews deserve a major share of the film's accolades; they managed to create both sterile hyper-tech environments and grimy ruins with equal believability, realism, and creativity. The set designers, builders, and managers responsible for the bubbleship, tower apartment, and props should consider this film a permanent part of their portfolios; there is not one single element that engenders a feeling of "are you kidding me?" Additionally (don't worry, not a spoiler), the crew who worked on the drones are, in my book, amazing; they managed to create a device that is capable of expressing emotion without actually doing so, and to communicate using a handful of synthesizer notes. Watch for these if you go see the film. So, with all those glowing praises in mind, on to the negatives. One of the things that stood out most seriously was a failure in audio mixing. The soundtrack (which was very good, by the way) frequently overshadows everything else because it's simply too loud for the scene. Morgan Freeman, for all his star power and the great performance he was able to give with what he was given, was terribly shortchanged; his character was marginal at best and seemed to have been stapled onto the plot to try to get another major star on screen. (Even so, he did a great job.) Finally, considering how carefully-constructed the rest of the plot was, the ending seemed almost an afterthought. They aimed for bittersweet, but just ended up with "hmm, vaguely creepy." In this respect, they did a Mass Effect; they led up through the whole thing, the audience becoming more and more invested in everything that was going on and actually (probably) caring about what happens to these characters, only to in the last five minutes drop a big wet pile of "Aw, really?" on us. Even so, I'm not at all sorry I went to see it on opening weekend, and will probably go to see it again before it leaves theaters so I can catch it in 3D, because when this goes small-screen, it's going to lose a lot. I've been unimpressed with a lot of contemporary sci-fi and most of Tom Cruise's work for a long time. Oblivion is an excellent piece of sci fi, a well-conceived, -executed, and -acted film, well worth your time if you are a fan of sci-fi and plot twists. This film is a rewarding adventure. I have no problem giving Oblivion an 8 and a subtitle. Oblivion: Plot twists in the apocalypse. Expand
  74. Nov 14, 2013
    I found it very enjoyable. The script is simple, but this actually serves the film well, as it functions best as a paced, ambient experience. The images are clean and beautiful, and the film has a unique atmosphere.
  75. Dec 26, 2013
    When Tron 2 Screenwriter, Joseph Kosinski, started shopping for a Publisher for his graphic novel, Oblivion, they told him it was so good that he should bring it right to the big screen. Before you know it, some big names signed out and the film was released as a big budget blockbuster. There are a ton of cool gadgets in a story about a futuristic world, that has been destroyed by war.When Tron 2 Screenwriter, Joseph Kosinski, started shopping for a Publisher for his graphic novel, Oblivion, they told him it was so good that he should bring it right to the big screen. Before you know it, some big names signed out and the film was released as a big budget blockbuster. There are a ton of cool gadgets in a story about a futuristic world, that has been destroyed by war. What initially turned me on to this film was the trailer, which show you the technology, but tell you almost nothing about the story. The films description is the same way, it tells you very little and really gets your curiosity going. The story starts by telling us what has become of the world, 65 years in the future. The planet has been destroyed by war and the humans have left the planet for one of Saturn's moons. All that's left is a bunch of technology meant to harvest Earth's resources for the people on Titan. The remaining rebels mean to sabotage this technology and it's the job of Jack and Vicka to repair and protect the technology from the last remaining terrorists. Tom Cruise stars and by now we all know how I feel about Tom Cruise. Fortunatly for Mr. Kosinski, this was a film that Cruise was really into and he does give one of his strongest performance since Minority Report. Cruise is terrific and is the main reason this film works in the beginning. With the extensive back story, it takes a while for anything substantive to happen and that's where Cruise and the unique technology come into play. They carry the film from the shocking beginning into the heart of the story. Once this film gets going it is one of the best pure Science Fiction films to come along in years. To his credit, even though the film is weird and starts out slow, Kosinski wouldn't let Hollywood touch it. The result is an old school type of Science Fiction film, done with modern technology. The geeks will love this movie, but there is also enough of a side stories and some amazing special effects that will help gain the majority of audiences. Oblivion was a terrific ride and something you don't see everyday, I really can't recommend it enough. Expand
  76. Apr 22, 2013
    Oblivion is a unsurprisingly great film, I had no doubts that it would be "great" ever since I saw the trailer; I didn't lose faith in it after seeing it's mediocre reviews. I disagree with most of them. Oblivion is thrilling with it's explosive action and mind-boggling yet great story-line. The director lets you get to know the characters immensely well (with one or two exceptions...); heOblivion is a unsurprisingly great film, I had no doubts that it would be "great" ever since I saw the trailer; I didn't lose faith in it after seeing it's mediocre reviews. I disagree with most of them. Oblivion is thrilling with it's explosive action and mind-boggling yet great story-line. The director lets you get to know the characters immensely well (with one or two exceptions...); he also manages to grab your emotions and lets you hang on the edge of your comfy seat/chair. It's not immensely intense or thrilling, but is to a nice extent. The actors portray their characters well, the cinematography is great, the music is good, the story is awesome all these things are great, but not phenomenal: so I give this film an... 8.4/10! Expand
  77. Apr 26, 2013
    a nicve clean sf-movie, fun to watch for the story and simply fun to look at for the style of the cinematography, SF-movies are few and far between (but getting more popular) but this is still a very good example of the genre, not to mention that the role of the lead is a dead ringer for Tom Cruise
  78. Nov 24, 2013
    This is my kind of movie. It's art design and visuals are amazing and the Sci-Fi story is very intriguing. I also loved the love story of it. It reminded me of Prometheus and Avatar, which I loved too. I've watched it twice now, after the first seating I would've given it a 9/10 but now I see it's more a 8/10. If you love Sci-Fi, do yourself a favour and watch it. NOW. in 1080p 3D!
  79. Apr 19, 2013
    I enjoyed this movie very much. The initial voice over narrative and stunning visuals had me from the very first second. And the stunning visuals were a consistent pleasure throughout the movie. Beautifully rendered. My attention was held enough that it did not seem as long as its 124 minutes. But somewhere along the line I got lost. I lost track of the story. I was caught thinkingI enjoyed this movie very much. The initial voice over narrative and stunning visuals had me from the very first second. And the stunning visuals were a consistent pleasure throughout the movie. Beautifully rendered. My attention was held enough that it did not seem as long as its 124 minutes. But somewhere along the line I got lost. I lost track of the story. I was caught thinking "What just happened and why don't I understand it?" Maybe I went to the bathroom during a particularly important exposition. However, my lack of comprehension did not ruin the movie for me. Instead, I was wooed into just going along for the ride and enjoying it regardless. I liked it enough that I will watch it again when it comes out on disk and see if I can figure it out the second time around. Expand
  80. Apr 20, 2013
    First, before you criticize this movie of being too reminiscent of some older sci-fi movies, hop over to Wikipedia and check out the article about this movie. This movie PAYS HOMAGE to sci-fi movies of the 70s.

And it has done a great job of doing that. That's why I loved it. The tone, the atmosphere, the soundtrack, the sound effects, the décor, etc., all make this movie a pure sci-fi movie. The storyline is not perfect but it contains enough mysteries and twists to keep me interested for the entire movies. Those who feel the plot was too convoluted are probably too accustomed to linear storyline found in G.I.Joe, Expendable and most super-heroes movies.
  81. Apr 20, 2013
    Although i hate tom cruise for being a bad controlling husband and a phsyco scientologist. I actually enjoy oblivion, great and good sci-fi. Good acting as expected from tom. 1st 45 mins kinda confusing, but the story slowly revealed all clues to the end. It's really worth it to watch at the big screen.
  82. Apr 22, 2013
    I didn't think I'd like the movie mainly because I'm not a huge TC supporter but, I must say, this movie actually blew me away. Not to the extend of going on a limb and giving it a total 10 in the scoring but it was entertaining enough to deserve a solid 8. The movie completely held my attention from beginning to end. It's one of those scifi flicks that will definitely keep you the edge ofI didn't think I'd like the movie mainly because I'm not a huge TC supporter but, I must say, this movie actually blew me away. Not to the extend of going on a limb and giving it a total 10 in the scoring but it was entertaining enough to deserve a solid 8. The movie completely held my attention from beginning to end. It's one of those scifi flicks that will definitely keep you the edge of your seat. It has a good amount of mystery and plot twists in it too which makes for the type of movie that you can buy once out on bluray and watch again and again without getting too bored too quickly (and without feeling like you wasted a good amount of on the purchase). Yeah, it may have elements from movies like Wall-e, or even others that deal with themes of earthling annihilation and resource stripping but, all-in-all, the movie brings a new amount of new "stuff" to the screen including eye candy technology. I'll see it again but I'm still not a TC supporter. Expand
  83. Apr 22, 2013
    Very good and thoughtful sci-fi flick. Underrated here by the critics. I know it's mixing apples and oranges, but when metacritic gives this a 55 and the lame show Two Broke Girls a 66 you know there is something wrong with this site.
  84. May 25, 2013
    I'm surprised this movie got such bad reviews, one has to wonder if there isn't some activist voting going on. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but I love a good sci-fi flick, especially a semi-original one like this. Absolutely worth a rental when it releases on DVD and Blu Ray.
  85. Feb 6, 2014
    Oblivion is an interesting and entertaining movie, but once I figured out what was going on, I felt kind of let down.I guess I just wanted something different, but overall this was a good movie. Always worth Watching when Moran Freeman is part of the cast.
  86. Apr 21, 2013
    Infinitely more compelling than his last work, Joseph Kosinski's "Oblivion" is an optically captivating piece of cinema and a worthy love letter to sci-fi films of the 70s.
  87. Apr 19, 2013
    Here's a fine example of a film that may have an inconsistent and a familiar screenplay, but still makes up for an exciting watch due to its director Joseph Kosinski's extra-ordinary sense of creating spectacles that feel like breathing artworks. The effective background music makes them feel even grander. I think Kosinski's creative process starts basically from the music. It'sHere's a fine example of a film that may have an inconsistent and a familiar screenplay, but still makes up for an exciting watch due to its director Joseph Kosinski's extra-ordinary sense of creating spectacles that feel like breathing artworks. The effective background music makes them feel even grander. I think Kosinski's creative process starts basically from the music. It's essentially an orgasmic audio-visual fair, just like Kosinski's previous and debut film- Tron:Legacy. He's more ambitious here, and more passionate. Although, you can't help but recognize the influences behind the story-which are some sci-fi epics I won't name here-and feel deja-vu; it still never stops being exciting and interesting. Oh, BTW I suggest to listen to Oblivion OST by M83 (amazing shoegaze/electronica band) before going for the film. Really! M83's soundtrack feels like Hans Zimmer-Daft Punk-M83 all together at once. And that's effing awesome!

I wait for the day when Kosinski is handed an ambitious and promising screenplay. That day, I believe, he will make a master-piece worth savoring for lifetime.
  88. May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has got to be one of the greatest films I have seen. Yes, I know the story is a re-hash of 1980s sci-fi flicks like Blade Runner, but still, Tom Cruise performs very well, and so do the supporting actors. My only complaint is when Tom Cruise goes to the Tet to see Sally, she looks like HAL 9000. I think that is a bit of a rip-off from 2001: A Space Odyssey, but other than that, it is a very beautiful action/sci-fi flick. Expand
  89. Apr 21, 2013
    An underrated technical masterpiece, Oblivion is laced from the beginning with subtleties that were entertaining to keep track of, and to watch bloom into a plot I could connect them all to. While the long intro is a little too cool and sterile for some, I was fascinated by the high production value, excellent CGI, and the world Kosinski is painting for us. The intro provoked the rightAn underrated technical masterpiece, Oblivion is laced from the beginning with subtleties that were entertaining to keep track of, and to watch bloom into a plot I could connect them all to. While the long intro is a little too cool and sterile for some, I was fascinated by the high production value, excellent CGI, and the world Kosinski is painting for us. The intro provoked the right questions for me, and when I started to get answers, it was more satisfying. The music by M83 is incredible and adds impact to the film. The action is entertaining and well put together. Many claim the film borrows too much from 1970's cliche's, but frankly it is paying homage to them and there is at least one direct hint at that I can clearly remember from in the film. The movie is well made and undeserving of the critic "lightning rod" effect Tom Cruise has, as his acting is good and highly appropriate for his role. The acting overall is good and adequate given the setting. I look forward to buying this movie on disc, and wouldn't be opposed to seeing it again in theaters. Expand
  90. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is a rare beast, at least for Hollywood, it's actually a real science fiction film. While most sci-fi movies are basically guns in space, or other genres wrapped up in futuristic glitter, Oblivion wears it's sci-fi credentials proudly. It's hardly perfect, it's a bit too long, has 3 endings and borrows liberally from a number of familiar genre elements, but it weaves them togetherOblivion is a rare beast, at least for Hollywood, it's actually a real science fiction film. While most sci-fi movies are basically guns in space, or other genres wrapped up in futuristic glitter, Oblivion wears it's sci-fi credentials proudly. It's hardly perfect, it's a bit too long, has 3 endings and borrows liberally from a number of familiar genre elements, but it weaves them together into an enjoyable mystery with beautiful scenery and some impressive set pieces. Expand
  91. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion delivers the goods when it comes to breathtaking scenery and CGI. Nonetheless, the plot is what you would expect, underdeveloped and as bare as Earth is portrayed. Essentially bits and pieces of other Hollywood blockbusters are glued together and repackaged into another post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller. Nonetheless the critics are too harsh on the Tom Cruise factor. He delivers aOblivion delivers the goods when it comes to breathtaking scenery and CGI. Nonetheless, the plot is what you would expect, underdeveloped and as bare as Earth is portrayed. Essentially bits and pieces of other Hollywood blockbusters are glued together and repackaged into another post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller. Nonetheless the critics are too harsh on the Tom Cruise factor. He delivers a solid performance and the roll is suited to his action junky portfolio. Overall the film is quite solid. Despite the length I was entertained but would have enjoyed more development and explanation into the war that destroyed our planet. Go see this, it wouldn't be the same on DVD, the visuals are superb. Expand
  92. Apr 21, 2013
    It was kind of an old school sci-fi, a little slow, with the type of storytelling that creates a good atmosphere by showing how the “everyday future life” is.
    The CGI is nice, believable, nothing fancy, just as it should be. Loved the sounds.
    Acting is OK (yet not specially good as the big names would indicate). The story is consistent, however, there are a few unnecessary scenes, and
    Acting is OK (yet not specially good as the big names would indicate).
    The story is consistent, however, there are a few unnecessary scenes, and in some other parts it feels something is missing.
    Although there is nothing new in this movie and what we got isn’t perfect it was still enjoyable and worth to watch.
  93. Apr 21, 2013
    Its beautiful, its intense, its exciting, and its a bit confusing. But, all in all i really enjoyed this, even though the story was a bit confusing, espesially at the end.
  94. Apr 23, 2013
    And confusing at first, but if one becomes unfold esperiencia rewarding packs for one of the most beautiful visuals I've ever seen, and this makes up the scenes of action generic and emotionless unalterable in the final evaluation
  95. Apr 26, 2013
    Oblivion is beautiful simulacrum! It is well acted and the dialog is sparse but proficient, its love story well rendered. Oblivion is also an auteurist work with deeper theoretical underpinnings. There is a very deliberate reason why it will remind you of other sci-fi films. not perfect but fascinating
  96. Apr 25, 2013
    Oblivion past my expectations, though they were not high to begin with. I suspected that the plot and the oncoming twist would be overly simple and most likely given away in the trailers, but I was surprised. The setting and atmosphere though somewhat generic to a post-apocalyptic flick, was quite a beauty to look at and the music perfectly added to the setting. Characters are a littleOblivion past my expectations, though they were not high to begin with. I suspected that the plot and the oncoming twist would be overly simple and most likely given away in the trailers, but I was surprised. The setting and atmosphere though somewhat generic to a post-apocalyptic flick, was quite a beauty to look at and the music perfectly added to the setting. Characters are a little flat and the opening 30 minutes follow a predictable format, its the last hour of the film that provide it its praise. You keep waiting for the inevitable twist and when it hits is obvious, but what the twist is isn't. MetaCritic provides a low score for such a pretty and engaging flick. Oblivion doesn't scream of new ideas and heartbreaking moments but what it does provide is exhilarating and interesting from beginning and definitely in the end. I have been waiting for some good films to come out this year, looks like Oblivion is a sign for the better. There is a reason the User Score is much higher than the Critic Score, its good to see a decent movie this year finally come out. Expand
  97. Apr 27, 2013
    The soundtrack is amazing. Also, the design of the technology (bubble ship, drones, ocean processor machines) really makes me think back to being a kid and looking at drawings/paintings of what people thought the future would look like, and these would fit right in. I was quite happy with what I saw.
  98. Apr 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. La segunda película Joseph Kosinski es un confortable producto que genera bastante entretenimiento y así, hace que sus ciento veintiséis minutos de duración se pasen rápido y con buen sabor.

Jack Harper es uno de los humanos sobrevivientes a un conflicto con unos alienígenas llamados los carroñeros, quienes destruyeron la luna sesenta años atrás y obligaron a que la humanidad se marchara de la Tierra y en el proceso tuviera además, que secar los mares.
    Harper trabaja en una de las succionadoras, reparando droides de combate y demás maquinaria de la casa; sin embargo su rutinaria vida cambia cuando accidentalmente se topa con una astronauta sobreviviente al ya mencionado conflicto. Ella ha estado en suspensión criogénica durante la última década y tiene una misteriosa relación con Jack.

Al igual que con su ópera prima, Kosinski ofrece una joya audiovisual que presenta una fotografía espectacular, una producción de sonido maravillosa y un entretenidísimo Ost. No obstante como sigue y, al parecer, seguirá pasando en la industria del cine, guion y actuaciones son el punto débil de este viaje fantástico.

Los efectos especiales de Oblivion marcan un precedente este año (2013) y es por ello que las secuencias de acción son emocionantes y hasta cierto punto épicas. Los apartados de la película en donde el Ost se combina con los elementos visuales se sienten alucinantes y por momentos, rayan en lo increíble.
    Definitivamente los sonidos electrónicos aportan mucho a las composiciones musicales de las producciones sci-fi.

Uno de los mejores aspectos de la película es la producción de sonido, que crea rugidos, runrunes, silbidos y soniquetes tan únicos y especiales como para dar la importancia necesaria a droides de batalla no antropomorfos.
    Todos los sonidos en la película son tan buenos y creíbles que podrían compararse a los de Star Wars o a los de Disctric 9 en sus respectivas épocas.

Para hablar del guion es necesario empezar por las buenas intenciones, las cuales son: una gran matización en cuanto a temáticas del mundo de la ciencia ficción y tratar de tener datos ocultos; pero luego las intenciones se quedan cortas cuando los diálogos aparecen y dejan esa sensación de... así no funciona el habla. En fin, diálogos malos y una historia predecible que bajan el resultado final de un producto que pudo ser impresionante.

Luego de hablar de lo peor, el texto, puedo pasar a lo mejor: la fotografía de Claudio Miranda que tiene una iluminación perfecta y permite al director manejar la profundidad de campo a cabalidad. Además, cada paisaje es tan hermoso y vívido como en las ilustraciones originales de Kosinski.
    Una vez más el chileno, reciente ganador del Óscar, muestra su genial capacidad de concebir el mundo en imágenes y reproducirlas a favor del séptimo arte.

De las actuaciones no hay quejas, pero tampoco hay felicitaciones; no obstante hay que hacer mención especial a Olga “dos gestos” Kurylenko, quien con su mala actuación baja considerablemente la evaluación del elenco y resta ritmo a la fluidez con la que se desenvuelve la película en cada una de sus apariciones (por fortuna no tantas). Por tanto la ucraniana es la culpable del bajonazo en el nivel histriónico del film.

Bueno, la pregunta final es: ¿cubre el precio de la boleta Oblivion? Sí, vale la pena verla en teatros, al fin de cuentas es entretenida y es la mejor experiencia audiovisual no textual en lo que va del año. Como dije antes, por parajes se acerca a lo épico.

99. May 5, 2013
    Great story though untypical, which I think is very welcome. Like one you might have read in the old Heavy Metal magazine. Really impressive sound work in this movie. My only negative criticism is that Oblivion might be about 20 mins. too long.
  100. May 12, 2013
    When people write a review for the movie and give it a zero, you must ask yourself what is the motive? To be realistic very few movies deserve this rating, especially a movie with Tom Cruise & Morgan Freeman I think this was a very good science fiction movie, so many people can not be wrong...

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.