7.0

1. Sep 27, 2014
    This is the one of the best soundtracks i've ever heard and one of the best sci-fi movies i've ever seen. I can watch it over and over.
    Both have a magical atmosphere. I wish more movies like this.
  2. Aug 31, 2014
    "If we have souls, they are made of the love we share... undimmed by time and bound by death." - Jack Harper

Seriously..i expect to be a great movie with these actors.Morgan Freeman, Tom Cruise..but no. Is another CGI movie with no sense.
  3. Aug 29, 2014
    There are many problems with Oblivion, but ultimately, I am willing to write them off for a couple of reasons. For one, the cinematography is fantastic. The set/production design is brilliant and is captured perfectly by the camera at every turn. The special effects are also very well done. The battle sequences, the weapons, the ships, the everything, all brilliantly thought out and planned. The acting, particularly from Tom Cruise, is also great. The plot itself is a bit hit-and-miss, but as a whole, it is interesting and entertaining enough. However, the plot can get caught up in itself frequently and I felt like it was trying to be deep at times, but kind of missed the mark there. In addition, there are certainly some plotholes as they blend many different science fiction films (Moon being a recent example of one they borrowed from) to make one mishmash of a film. However, luckily, the acting and imagery are great enough to make me ignore those concerns and allow me to lose myself in the film. Not the best film ever, but a damn entertaining one that has some great production elements. Expand
  4. Jul 24, 2014
    Okay so you've Morgan Freeman on board for your film project, AND HE'S BORING, OR HE'S BORED, PROBABLY BOTH!

Any questions?

There's this thing called a script...okay..and what you do is MATURE AND CURE THE SCRIPT SO MORGAN F'N FREEMAN IS NOT BORING!!!!
  5. Jul 14, 2014
    Many people have addressed that the film seems almost, “routine" in a sense, because many of the themes portrayed in the film are reminiscent to those from other films before it. However, these criticisms go very far and completely state that “there is nothing special about this film, it’s a blatant rip off of hundreds of sci-fi films before it." I have to disagree.

There is much to
    love about oblivion, in fact, it’s first half has possibly some of the most creative aspects of a story and setting I've seen. Expand
  6. Jun 26, 2014
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. For those who are sci-fi addicts this may be bland and forgetable, but those somewhat new to movies will enjoy it. Personally, I really just enjoyed this a lot. I'm sure if i go back and watch it again, it'll have more plot holes and errors than I remember. But I'd rather just remember being entertained for two hours, and leave that memory in the sweet land of nostalgia. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.

(Now I'm expecting Edge of Tomorrow to be even better than this because it was similar in format, a blend of sci-fi, and managed to pull it off even better.)
  7. Jun 17, 2014
    Great setting, great World, great Visuals, great robotics, the first hour or so is quite good, but after the aliens true identity is revealed, Things start going from bad to worse. Not a very good ending. All in all a mediocre scifi Flick.
  8. Jun 14, 2014
    Okay film but Tom cruise got in the way of the more interesting characters played by Morgan Freeman and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. The story is okay and the CGI is very good however the movie was a Tom Cruise cash-in with little weight. It plays the audience for a fool with twists that anyone who see's the trailer will be able to spot miles away.

The ludicrous ending really sums up the
    stupidity of it all however, it IS worth your time if you can't get enough sic-fi but I wouldn't bother unless you're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Expand
  9. Jun 13, 2014
    Oblivion is a decent sci-fi flick. It has decent acting, a decent plot and decent special effects. Tom Cruise puts on a great show, as usual and so do the supporting actors. Unfortunately, it suffers from something I like to call "WHY DON'T YOU JUST TELL THE OTHER PERSON WHAT'S GOING ON"-dialogue deficiency syndrome.

You see, no one seems to bothered to tell someone what is REALLY going
    on when they need the information the most. Like say when you're about to kill someone but you want to make them do something for you but instead of telling them what's going on, you just kind of make them guess as to your intentions even though they probably would agree with you right off the bat IF YOU JUST TELL THEM WHAT THEY NEED TO KNOW.

Oblivion isn't the only sci-fi movies that seems to suffer from that problem but it's glaringly obvious in at least three very important scenes. For some reason directors think it builds suspense when characters don't open their mouths and internalize everything so that they can justify the violence and special effects that follow next.

That's my gripe with this movie. Other than that, I thought it was quite good. Must-see for any sci-fi fan.
  10. Jun 13, 2014
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this movie but moreover the director and writer does an amazing job. It was gripping and will keep you guessing until the end. One of the best films of the year!
  11. Jun 11, 2014
    The cinematography...wow. The first time you watch, it felt inadequate as the plot is somewhat prosaic. If you watch it the second time and pay attention to the details rather than the general picture, there is much breathtaking artistry.
  12. Jun 11, 2014
    What saves "Oblivion" from being a complete disaster is the stunning visual scenarios and once again, a good performance from Tom Cruise. But, not of that points can compensate the boring story and confusing narrative.
  13. Jun 9, 2014
    This movie got me! From the thrilling storyline to the excellent soundtrack by M83 (Inspired By Hans Zimmer) Joseph Kosinski brings you into a visually unique wasted planet earth! The rhythm is fast and you don't have time to get bored, it constantly leaves the watcher wondering what's gonna happen next? Until It Is all revealed in due time. Best psychological Sci-fi movie I have seen in a while and I Highly recommend It! Expand
  14. Jun 7, 2014
    This movie was amazing to me. The art style was spot on and the story was very well done.

Tom Cruise made you feel like you were part of the struggle during the movie. The plot twist toward the end left me going saying "oh S**t!"

Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick
    finish.. I felt a little robbed so I couldn't give this movie a 10.. but, still if your reading this.. GO SEE IT! Expand
  15. Jun 2, 2014
    A movie, so subtle and yet so powerful! That alone, is an achievement. It's visually extremely impressive.. The imagery here is the storyteller, not the dialogue. The story is by far not original - but it serves us some good surprises. It's perhaps more an art film and that is excellent! The soundtrack is quite simply one of the best I've heard in a long time. This movie continues what Moon and Prometheus started with.. The return of real science-fiction. Expand
  16. May 25, 2014
    A surprisingly decent Sci-Fi film nothing special but good enough for me to at least watch it unlike "After Earth". I'm really not a fan of Tom Cruise the only movies of his that iv'e actually watched and liked in the past 10 years was Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol. Well he barely in Tropic Thunder though when he was he was super funny so it was cool to see him in another decent film that i liked. Some fantastic use of CGI everything was top notch and didn't look overly fake.

Story wasn't really that great and it seemed like half way through the movie they decided to throw in multiple sci-fi movie cliches and it just didn't all come together right. Morgan Freeman was barley in this and when he was it still wasn't anything special sure there at the end he has some great scenes but it just wasn't enough.

Overall i give a 6.5 definitely thought this could have been better but for a Tom Cruise movie it really wasn't that bad and worth a watch if you like sci-fi.
  17. Apr 21, 2014
    Muy buena, la recomiendo. Todo sorprende, la trama y las imagenes. Desde el comienzo hasta el final te mantiene boquiabierto. Tremendjo trabajo senor director.
  18. Apr 9, 2014
    A really good sci-fi spoiled by being far too long and drawn out and some stupid additions in the story not least at the every end. Its still OK but it could have been much much better if a lot of the rubbish had been cut out.
  19. Mar 23, 2014
    Oblivion is what a good science fiction film should look like - sleek, stunning, and incredibly beautiful. The effects are just the right amount of set/props and CGI, the camera work is excellent and captures both the most intimate and epic moments, and just in general there are plenty of landscapes and shots in the film that make you say "Wow".

Where the film falters a bit though is in
    its story.

While the cast is small and talented (this is Tom Cruise's best most recent work) and the script focused the movie suffers from numerous pacing issues, avenues left unexplained or unexplored, a few predictable twists, and some questionable "stereotypical" sci-fi tropes.

However I think what really undermined the film was that the trailer gave away a "twist" that takes up nearly half the movie - thus making it impossible to feel the mystery and thrill that it clearly wants you to.

Either way Oblivion is a solid contemporary science fiction film that offers something unique and sorely missed in today's tired guns-blazing space epics.
  20. Mar 18, 2014
    Let me make this short and to the point. Is this movie good? Indeed it is. Will you remember it in a decade? Probably not. There is nothing mind blowing or necessarily original about this film, but while it may take different aspects of other Sci-Fi media, it manages to execute it in a successful manner. That, in my eyes, makes it a worthy title for the genre when understanding that many others like it are not so lucky. I would recommend Oblivion for those who enjoy slower paced Sci-Fi films, but I can not say the same for those who do not. This is not a must see, but when considering that Oblivion does feature a cast of Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman, maybe that is enough to please film goers who do not typically go for these kinds of movies. So in closing, good film, fun casting, but nothing amazing. Expand
  21. Mar 17, 2014
    Great movie. Much better than war of the worlds, good acting from tom cruise.
    A bit horrifying at times, maybe not the best word to use. But, good sci-fi story and movie.
    Great casting all throughout.
  22. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the worst movie I've ever seen. The only reason I saw this movie was because I saw that Morgan Freeman was in it and I was like "Hey Morgan Freeman's in it it couldn't possibly suck really bad" yet it definitely did. My main (emphasis on "main" meaning definitely not limited to) problem with this disgrace of-a-movie is that it makes no sense. I don't know if one can message me on Meta critic but if you can could someone please attempt to explain this movie to me. This is me at the movie:

So there's a guy and he's like a clone i guess? Wait what? Who? How? When? Where? I went to the movie with my mom and it took our brainpower together about 2 days to sort of figure out what this movie was about.
  23. Mar 8, 2014
    Even though Oblivion isn't that bad -- with its beautiful cinematography and visually stunning images -- it just seems kind of mainstream.

Story was decent enough I guess, but there were some flaws in it and logic had to be suspended. In fact, at some scenes, I thought I was sitting in Inception! So, some of the flaws include: Morgan Freeman's character. This is the first (and hopefully
    last) time I will say this... Morgan Freeman was not right for this role, even though he did a good job.

Plot holes.

Too many silence scenes; no enough action scenes.

and finally, illogical scenes and bad editing.

Overall, this was a slightly too long movie that tried to be more than it was, with a mainstream story line, but very visually stunning cinematography.
  24. Feb 25, 2014
    Great cinematography and special effects, but those things don't save movies from bad scripts and bobble-heads named Bob. Nor do they save them from bobble-heads named Cruise - Even if he does play a better future man, that he does a Hollywood actor. By the way, in my future, douches won't get to call themselves Cruise, or Edge, or Sting.
  25. Feb 18, 2014
    I can't think of a movie I've seen recently which has been more unfairly reviewed. Oblivion has been called dull, overlong and the performances lacking in humanity. When you follow the plot of the movie through to the end, you will realise how ludicrous the last charge is. This film is a stunning homage to 70s sci-fi - but pre-Star Wars 70s sci-fi. So if you're looking for trash compactors, and trash-talking space princesses look elsewhere. Oblivion paints an epic landscape of barren post-apocalyptic wastelands, the sleekest technology populated only by an odd Adam-and-Eve pairing - sensual but alienated. All becomes clear in the fullness of time, and the mystery unfolds, deliciously, I think. There are themes here, the most obvious being ecological, but also in relationship to the role of memory in identity. For some there may be too many long shots and musings between the set-pieces, but these too are beautifully shot and nicely set up. Expand
  26. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible. I give it like a 9.4 really, but that is not an option. Only one thing, the scene where they for whatever reason decide to roll out the drone and then get attacked once they open the doors (why not wait until night? where were the scouts that caught one drone and sounded the alarm earlier? why not just open the doors and tell it to LAUNCH form where it is inside instead of putting it on a tractor? was a total Hollywood scene just to have people shoot, die, get blown up, win with losses...dumb for an otherwise brilliant movie). The scenery is amazing, the musical score is brilliant, acting phenomenal, story great (yes they did steal a few things from a few games/books/movies (Independence Day seems like the obvious, but there were sci-fi books with this plot even before, like Footfall). All around outstanding movie that should've scored higher than it did. If you like sci-fi, watch this film! Expand
  27. Feb 12, 2014
    Oblivion: One of the most boring films of 2013. The best thing about the film were its visuals, the movie actually looks very pretty in terms of visual effects even though most of the movie is set in a wasteland earth. Everything else though is absolute garbage, the story is so crap that a 6th grader could have written it and none of the characters were likeable at all. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman do what they can with the roles they have been given, but they end up being ok amongst all the other stiff characters. To put it nicely, Oblivion is a boring, pretty and awful movie. Expand
  28. Feb 6, 2014
    Oblivion is an interesting and entertaining movie, but once I figured out what was going on, I felt kind of let down.I guess I just wanted something different, but overall this was a good movie. Always worth Watching when Moran Freeman is part of the cast.
  29. Feb 1, 2014
    An inoffensive enough science fiction adventure, not terrible, but not without it's flaws. Oblivion is insubstantial, at its core, it wastes little to no time on the how, why or when and travels from point A to B in a relatively simple manner. Some nice cinematography, costumes and effects help what appears to be a predictable pastiche of every piece of pop sci fi. Worth a watch.
  30. Jan 23, 2014
    An enjoyable enough film for sci-fi fans. The setup is interesting, but the plot gets a little hackneyed as the movie goes on. The cast is solid and Tom Cruise does his best Tom Cruise impression. Some of the visuals are quite striking, the action scenes are good, and the soundtrack is always epic (sometimes too much so). A fun movie to watch if you like sci-fi.
  31. Jan 16, 2014
    I opened a metacritic account just to come here and vent a little about this movie, which I just finished watching. To put it subtly, "Oblivion" was a steaming pile of horse manure, not unlike that which was dumped today in front of the French parliament building. These Scientologist creeps need to quit making post-apocalyptic heaps of dung like "Oblivion" and "After Earth", which I didn't even see and won't now that I've lost two hours of my life to the husk of an actor that was Tom Cruise and his pair of helpless, flat leading ladies. Good thing men are always around to save the useless women in this movie! Women do NOTHING but sit by helplessly until at one point one of them picks up a gun and in spite of being a military-trained flight officer, fumbles with it and finally requires a penis to come save her. I guess by saying the premise of this movie is STUPID I'm also saying that Scientology is stupid, so there: go ahead and watch "Oblivion" if you think you're going to live forever and have the hours to spare, because you'll NEVER get that time back. Expand
  32. Jan 14, 2014
    With a slow plot loosely held together by lukewarm tension and mediocre acting, Oblivion is a very weak film. Tom Cruise reprises the role he has played for most of his career (that of the cardboard cut-out action hero), and struggles to command much presence as he drags the audience through a short series of plot twists that are either predictable or nonsensical.
    It scores points for its
    undeniably impressive visuals and set pieces while Morgan Freeman adds some much needed charisma but sadly it isn't enough to make me call this film good. The whole thing is a very drawn out underwhelming experience. Expand
  33. Jan 12, 2014
    First of all - did anyone notice that 90% of movie plot is a copy from Moon 2112 movie with Sam Rockwell? Same theme - alone in the abandoned world, clones theme, the only friend. Ok, miss Kurilenko makes some difference. But movie itself is good, if I didnt see Moon 2112 I would probably give it at least 8 from 10.
  34. Jan 7, 2014
    I think this is a seriously underrated movie. Sure it didn't have the best script, but it wasn't THAT bad. And sure it borrowed from other movies a fair amount, but it did so effectively, rather than just seeming like it was blatantly stealing. Besides, most of the storyline was fairly original. The best part of the movie are the stunning visual effects, especially shots of the Tet and the shattered moon in orbit, and the drastically altered landscape. Expand
  35. Jan 2, 2014
    A duração contribui para que o filme seja uma experiência chata, porém interessante, mesmo assim não deixa de um filme ruim porém bom. Bons efeitos, bons sons, bons efeitos mais mal construído.
  36. Dec 28, 2013
    I spent about half of Oblivion thinking about all the superior sci-fi that this movie borrows story elements from, and the other half just downright confused.
  37. Dec 26, 2013
    When Tron 2 Screenwriter, Joseph Kosinski, started shopping for a Publisher for his graphic novel, Oblivion, they told him it was so good that he should bring it right to the big screen. Before you know it, some big names signed out and the film was released as a big budget blockbuster. There are a ton of cool gadgets in a story about a futuristic world, that has been destroyed by war. What initially turned me on to this film was the trailer, which show you the technology, but tell you almost nothing about the story. The films description is the same way, it tells you very little and really gets your curiosity going. The story starts by telling us what has become of the world, 65 years in the future. The planet has been destroyed by war and the humans have left the planet for one of Saturn's moons. All that's left is a bunch of technology meant to harvest Earth's resources for the people on Titan. The remaining rebels mean to sabotage this technology and it's the job of Jack and Vicka to repair and protect the technology from the last remaining terrorists. Tom Cruise stars and by now we all know how I feel about Tom Cruise. Fortunatly for Mr. Kosinski, this was a film that Cruise was really into and he does give one of his strongest performance since Minority Report. Cruise is terrific and is the main reason this film works in the beginning. With the extensive back story, it takes a while for anything substantive to happen and that's where Cruise and the unique technology come into play. They carry the film from the shocking beginning into the heart of the story. Once this film gets going it is one of the best pure Science Fiction films to come along in years. To his credit, even though the film is weird and starts out slow, Kosinski wouldn't let Hollywood touch it. The result is an old school type of Science Fiction film, done with modern technology. The geeks will love this movie, but there is also enough of a side stories and some amazing special effects that will help gain the majority of audiences. Oblivion was a terrific ride and something you don't see everyday, I really can't recommend it enough. Expand
  38. Dec 19, 2013
    For a big budget Hollywood sci-fi film, Oblivion is a respectable, entertaining crossover of the 'alien invasion' and 'post-apocalyptic' genres. Tom Cruise does a good job in his role, although his performances rarely vary from role to role. Speaking of playing the same role, Morgan Freeman is a great actor, but I honestly get tired of seeing him in pretty much every other film playing almost the same type of character. There had to be someone less cliche and more suited for this role than him. Expand
  39. Dec 15, 2013
    Visually stunning. Perfect combination of beautiful cinematography and great score (I love the music in this film and especially the main theme, hair-raising). That alone is enough to watch it. They definitely take you into this world. It could have easily been an 8 but the script is a little weak. It started great, the first hour is perfect. But even if I enjoyed and personally liked the film from start to finish, no one can deny the last part is too cliché compared to how good it started. It also has to be said that it is too inspired in several previous films, or at least it feels like that. The actors are on point (nothing spectacular). Overall, it surprised me, was completely invested and made me think. The thing I love the most in films is when they stay in your mind after they end. And this one did it. Expand
  40. Dec 13, 2013
    actually had to sign up for metacritic so I could post this. for all the hatters out there, critics (to our left) who are as optimistic as a South Philadelphian sports fan, or people who just can root for Tom Cruise anymore... this was an amazing movie but just not just visually, storytelling as well. One of those movies where you can't wait to find out whats around the corner while mentally crossing your fingers while you hope the story doesn't end. its got a little bit of everything, and it a hero story, the best kind. I know the real "critics" have to work from pessimism up (like dissing your government while you sit around and do nothing) but they're should be this type of reviewing section where some of us who aren't that jaded and numb to something original (and yes I do see similarities from other movies...we all live on this planet together) love to root for the hero, even if he once slide across a floor in his boxers... so for real, for once...stop hating.
    go into a movie with no expectations,little to/no previews (yes that is possible), and one day you might enjoy a movie again... almost like it was the first one you remember. BOOM 10.
  41. Nov 28, 2013
    Oblivion's script is written badly, spoiling its plot and confusing audiences. However, it is rescued by its Tom Cruise's strong acting and its dazzling visuals.
  42. Nov 24, 2013
    This is my kind of movie. It's art design and visuals are amazing and the Sci-Fi story is very intriguing. I also loved the love story of it. It reminded me of Prometheus and Avatar, which I loved too. I've watched it twice now, after the first seating I would've given it a 9/10 but now I see it's more a 8/10. If you love Sci-Fi, do yourself a favour and watch it. NOW. in 1080p 3D!
  43. Nov 14, 2013
    I found it very enjoyable. The script is simple, but this actually serves the film well, as it functions best as a paced, ambient experience. The images are clean and beautiful, and the film has a unique atmosphere.
  44. Nov 7, 2013
    Nice idea, boring execution. Effect were decent, but this movie feels more like a Tom Cruise showcase than an actual movie. There is potential here for there to be more, but the direction the production team took was just the wrong one. The twists, while clever, were also transparent and further added to the pointlessness of the movie. Adding more questions than answers, an obvious setup for a followup movie.

Overall:
    The movie is OK, and perhaps worth a rental, but don't expect too much out of it. It tries to be more clever than it actually is and I found it mostly boring.
  45. Nov 4, 2013
    Watchable? Definitely. Enjoyable? Sure. Applaudable? Hardly. Tom Cruise delivers, as does Morgan Freeman, and the story is solid. The cinematography is great, even if the world is bland. But while the film succeeds in some respects, in most, it just leaves you with great longing for the sic-fi films of old, that grow more flawless through the years (alien, the matrix, district 9).
  46. Nov 3, 2013
    "Oblivion" is a brilliant-looking movie. The visuals are stunning and the action is pretty well handled. The problem with it is the story. It's too dense and has uneven pacing.
  47. Oct 24, 2013
    It was not the best sci-fi movie I have ever seen, but I thought it was good. It started out very good, almost great, then went down to average about half way through, and ended up as what I would describe as a good sci-fi movie for a sci-fi fan. I would not recommend this to a non-sci-fi fan. The visuals were great; the overall story was good too. It's the execution of the second half of the film that was a let-down, especially after the very well designed set-up of the beginning. I was hoping the story would go one way, but it went another way and it was ok, but I had a better path laid out in my head for the second half of the movie while I was watching it. My opinion is that people who make movies are pressured to make them/keep them simple, with less thought provoking storylines and more pop and flash; stories you can wrap up neatly in a bow at the end. I understand it, some of the dumbest movies I've ever seen, made the most money, and in the end, it's a business. However, in the long run, they will need to start making better, smarter, more thought provoking movies; otherwise they will eventually lose everyone. A great place to do this is with sci-fi movies. There is no reason you can't have action, pop and flash, and a great story. Expand
  48. Oct 19, 2013
    When I first saw the trailer I thought it was going to be another tom cruise movie. But this one was different. All the strangeness between the two members of the effective team, his dreams about an unknown woman... I found myself strugling to find out the truth. I loved the twists and the image quality, as well as the characters acting. I only feel that some of the secondary characters development is missing. A good film, in my opinion Expand
  49. Oct 18, 2013
    One of the worst science-fiction movies of all time. It's dull and uninteresting to the very end. I didn't care once about anything that was going on and couldn't wait for this movie to end. The only good thing about this movie is how good it looks. Truly these are some spectacular special effects. Unfortunately outstanding visual effects amount to nothing when the movie is garbage.

The
    characters and plot are boring and dumb. The latter being filled with cliches and over-used plot threads that have been done time and time again in science fiction movies. The characters are lifeless and unlikable, the worst offender being Tom Cruise's character "Jack". When he's not being completely dull and moronic, he's tossing out groan inducing one-liners like "Yeah, well you should see the other guy". I wanted to see him get shot so badly.

So the plot and characters are unbearable, and unfortunately so is the action and romance. This is a completely terrible film. One of the worst I've ever seen. I don't recommend this movie in the least. "Oblivion" should be cast into oblivion.
  50. Oct 9, 2013
    Oblivion totally shocked me. I walked in expecting a forgettable Sci-Fi flick. I walked out with the notion of just having seen one of the best science fiction films of the last ten years. The film really hit base with me; I loved the tone, visual style, soundtrack and the emotional human element. And man oh man... Those action scenes! Oh yes!
  51. Sep 29, 2013
    Oblivion is very aesthetically pleasing; the visuals are certainly well done. However, a deeper script and more watertight storyline would help to satisfy the movie-goer looking for more than just visuals.
  52. Sep 27, 2013
    Oblivion es un desastre que quiere expresar buenas cosas al final despues de un espantoso comienzo sin embargo el remedio no fue suficiente para la muerte en su totalidad de la pelicula es muy aburrida con cosas que caen muy bajo en grandes actuaciones como la de Tom Cruise
  53. Sep 25, 2013
    Boring, confusing, I feel like we've seen this movie before. The story get lost beneath the style and effects and Cruise proves that he only has one character left in his aging repertoire.
  54. Sep 21, 2013
    If I could I would give this movie 5 & 1/2 stars, but Metacritic doesn't allow you to do that. I felt that this movie was pretty solidly average, maybe a slight bit above.
    Oblivion is set 60 years after the Earth's destruction in 2017. The story is that these aliens called "Scavs" invaded the Earth and humanity's only choice was to nuke itself. The remaining survivors are living in a
    space station hovering above the Earth called the "Tet". Jack Harper and his partner Victoria are basically maintenance workers who are remaining on Earth to maintain drones that protect big "oil rig" type of machinery, which are sucking up the Earth's water to convert in to fuel for the humans, supposedly. They have two weeks left before they can join the rest of the human survivors and head to start a new colony on one of Jupiter's moons. Repetitious, mysterious dreams that Jack has, as well as several unexpected discoveries reveal to him that not everything is as it seems. Disaster ensues!
    Oblivion's plot promises a lot of excitement, which is why I ended up watching it. Personally, I found it to be somewhat, well, not "slow" exactly, but a bit dull. Maybe I just don't find Tom Cruise to be a very exciting actor. He's very good at being gruff and monotone. Additionally, at a certain point, the outcome of the story becomes way too predictable, which was why although the plot was something that could have been very original, in the end you kind of feel like you're watching a 2001: A Space Odyssey wannabe. But, I do give the movie credit for visual-awesomeness. The designs of the ships, drones, space station, etc., are all very visually-pleasing. Moreover, I thought it was very cool how they gave hints of the "old Earth" in the landscape that you could catch while watching and realize what it was. (For example, the top of the Empire State Building, the flame from the Statue of Liberty's torch, etc.) Sadly, I think this is a problem with most films coming out these days: no problem with eye candy, but lacking in plot.
  55. Sep 20, 2013
    Maybe the ending was a bit of a letdown but the first three quarters of this are a slick, eye-popping sc-fi lover's wet dream. I liked this a whole lot. What the heck is Slant Magazine? Metacritic's scoring is, as so often, head scratching.
  56. Sep 20, 2013
    I just enjoyed it. I was not looking for perfection, nor did I expect it. The movie does not present anything really new or ordinary which is fine. It is visually stunning. The world that they present (the house, the gadgets, the earth) is cool. The acting is acceptable. The story also kept me interested an entertaining movie. Enjoy.
  57. Sep 19, 2013
    Tom Cruise is a mercurial actor when you dig into his body of work, and his role in Oblivion almost seems custom-built for somebody else. The story itself is incredibly thin, but all the pieces fall together in proper sequence, and in the end, you're not left surprised so much as satisfied that things play out the way they do.

For much of the early portion of the film, the overall
    mystery factor leaves you curious, but once they strip this away, the film does a poor job of evaluating the antagonist and its motives. Much like Cruise's role, that of Morgan Freeman could have been filled by a much lesser actor with similar results; there is simply not enough room for him to deftly navigate the film in the manner he is capable. Minor parts aside, the casting is not so much a flaw for Oblivion as it is a point of confusion; such big names need not have applied.

The plot itself, as I mentioned, is thin on detail and heavy on putting things in their right place. Sci-fi goes in either one direction or the other most of the time, and as a huge fan of the genre in a film sense, Oblivion doesn't have the balance between style, substance and storytelling to truly grip me. The big revealing moments are not so much expected as they are dry, leaving a taste in mouth that is familiar, but one which you cannot quite place where you've experienced it before. A strange sort of deja vu.

A few minor tweaks, and a story that didn't pat itself on the back for being sequenced properly and went further into the details of the intriguing world it only dabbles in, could have made Oblivion much more than what it is; an average film, overcasted and underfed.
  58. Sep 14, 2013
    I felt motivated to give this movie a review because of how critics were downgrading it,sure it was confusing in the details,and maybe it copied a lot from other movies,mabye tom cruise showed lack of emotion,but who really cares,it was great movie,great story,a movie I watched twice
  59. Sep 14, 2013
    There is nothing new under the sun, or so said Abraham. Movie fans had better get used to it. While there are a lot of familiar themes in Oblivion, they are all blended together in such a way to still surprise and audience. I found myself connecting with the main characters, even with little time or depth of dialogue to do so and was touched by the relationships and situations they found themselves in. There are many surprises to be had, much dramatic tension and some exciting action sequences. I'm putting this movie on my Buy list and I don't do that with many. Oh and yes there are underlying philosophical discussions in this film. It's a theme that was found in great works such as Blade Runner, you just have to be able to recognize it. Collapse
  60. Sep 8, 2013
    A beautiful and fascinating film full of mystery and action. This movie creates a unique and very believable future for planet earth. Right off the bat, you get the sense that every detail has been carefully thought through. With every intriguing element of this dystopian future you feel yourself get drawn in more.

You do get a sense that this movie is trying to leave a big impression
    that it only just falls short of, but the story is strong, the surprises are interesting, and you genuinely care about the characters. Expand
  61. Sep 7, 2013
    I was really impressed with this movie. If you like movies like "Moon" then you'll love this movie. Its more for those who appreciate good acting and a enjoy a deep plot and well... are educated, something that most critics here lack.
  62. Sep 6, 2013
    The visuals created by PIXOMONDO studios are just stunning. The storyline introduced in this movie was very fascinating and the soundtrack by M.8.3 just great. A science-fiction thriller of diamond brilliance. Stands with the greatest movies in this genre.
  63. Sep 5, 2013
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. Personally, I feel it was one of the best films I had ever seen. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.
  64. Sep 2, 2013
    Picked this movie up at Hastings. I was on the lookout for a good movie and I found one. The movie is a tad slow and I wish they wouldn't mumble so much as I felt I missed key clues but at the same time its gripping. Its a puzzle box that hooks you and compels you to open it and find out its secrets. The only way to do this is to continue watching the movie.
  65. Sep 1, 2013
    I'm not saying it's horrible, I'm not saying that is bad, because of the beautiful scenery, the fantastic soundtrack, but it lacked the "plus" that makes you say that yes ...
    Nevertheless, I do not want anyone to talk about it.
    Everyone look and decide for yourself!
  66. Aug 30, 2013
    It's a very mediocre movie. The very last pictures of Tom Cruise are not good. He has grown up a bit and my opinion is that he has to stop acting now!!!!
  67. Aug 28, 2013
    Not good, not bad. Fun, at least. The turn in the story is kind of funny, the actors choice were fitting, the visuals were pretty. But the conclusion was very poor and the enemy was so uncharismatic... 5, I will stay half the way.
  68. Aug 26, 2013
    Pleasantly surprised at how much better this movie turned out than I thought it would. After seeing the critics blast this movie, I was a little apprehensive about watching it and very nearly didn't.

There isn't anything truly original here, as many have already noted this movie seems to borrow from a lot of other sci-fi movies and put those borrowed elements all together into a
    visually-beautiful package though I don't necessarily think that's a completely bad thing.

The movie was pretty slow at times, perhaps even tediously so, but the overall constant build-up of tension and action was great. The cinematography definitely shines through with the excellent visuals. I don't really remember the scores so much, but I do remember that they did add life to the scenes and were done well.

Acting was fairly good not the biggest fan of Tom Cruise but he did a decent job. Morgan Freeman can do no wrong, but his character was admittedly not too memorable or striking. Some important side characters weren't developed too well in my opinion, but the main characters and their progression through the movie was excellent.

Plot holes and lack of originality and all, I felt this was still a decent enough movie to warrant seeing on DVD or streaming. Definitely better than what the critics have said about it.
  69. Aug 25, 2013
    I like the idea
    this movie is my type of moivie
    I like movies
    that have very few characters
    set in ghost town
    quiet, not many action

I liked the robots,
    robots battle, chase scenes

but really, it was boring
    Morgan Freeman and his allies characters
    Tom Cruise 2 was a very boring character.
    there were no villains.

really boring movie.
  70. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Movie was awesome. Graphics were nice and acting good. Almost shed a tear. Better than twilight. Don't let computers get too powerful is the moral of the story. Expand
  71. Aug 22, 2013
    This movie...just was not good. Sure, the special effects were great, but that doesn't hold the movie up. The plot, the acting and the actors hold the movie up. Tom Cruise's acting was just bad. Morgan Freeman should not have been in this movie. The plot's full of holes, it takes twists that don't make sense or don't help with the plot in any way. This was disappointing, purely and simply.
  72. Aug 19, 2013
    ITALIANO Semplicemente fantastico, uno dei film sci-fi più belli degli ultimi tempi secondo me. Geniale la trama, ottimi effetti speciali e gran finalone con tanto di spiegazione di tutte le domande che ci si pone durante la visione. Finalmente un gran bel film, dopo la guerra dei mondi (sempre con Tom Cruise) un altro grandissimo dvd da aggiungere alla collezione. Cruise anche in questo film si dimostra a parere personale uno dei più bravi attori di sempre, caratterizzando ed inpersonando un personaggio che davvero in pochi avrebbero potuto far rendere come lui. FILM STUPENDO! Expand
  73. Aug 18, 2013
    Deja-vu much? This sci-fi failed to excite me. I loved the idea of Tom Cruise, but I had a hard time enjoying this one. The plotline was cliche, oh so cliche. Throughout the movie, I sat there thinking... I've seen this movie before.
  74. Aug 18, 2013
    I don't understand how this movie Metascore can be only 54.
    Unoriginal? Flaws? Maybe...if you analyze this movie after having watched it. But if what you look for is entertainment, this is a great movie to watch. It may have flaws but they don't weight much on the pleasure to watch it, if you let yourself immerse in the story and the events the movie put you in.
    It works good and I am
    sorry I missed it at the cinema. Expand
  75. Aug 17, 2013
    Tom Cruise acting his typical type again. Which isn't bad. But it is getting old now.
    Morgan Freeman hardly has any minutes in the movie, so his name is only in there to attract more people to watch it.
    The story is pretty flimsy and quite predictable. A few moments that seemed to peek my interest story wise, otherwise it was pretty bland all over.
    Setting is alright, CGI nicely done.
  76. Aug 15, 2013
    I went into this one with no real expectations but I ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. The film stars and ends great (but the middle drags slightly) and the story is pretty awesome. Tom Cruise is fantastic in his role and the special effects and sound are second to none! Very entertaining!
  77. Aug 14, 2013
    Oblivion has great audio and visual effects. Sadly those are the best things within the entire movie. This movie lacked a good story. The movie was mainly star-driven. Tom cruise showed us that even at his age, he could still play a badass. The movie did deserve a better metascore than it got. This is a movie that is awesome the first time but never the same again. I would recommend watching this movie... Once. Expand
  78. Aug 13, 2013
    Oblivion takes elements from a hodge-podge of science fiction films, but still manages to juxtapose them in a way that makes for something vaguely original. Even if the film is paying homage to Moon, Star Trek, and other hints of films/novels that I didn’t even recognize--for example, was there a wink at Cloud Atlas in the plot device where clones think they’re headed for Paradise when their work shift is over? Nevertheless, despite the similarities to a host of other films, there is something intriguing about the three main characters, Jack, Julia, and Victoria, played by Tom Cruise, Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborough. It is Cruise himself who saves the movie from, well, from oblivion, because it is a perfect vehicle for his boyish looks (he looks 30, not 50) and his saintly quality of being a protector and a savior.

The Earth is ravaged by a war started by invading aliens, who were presumably defeated by human nuclear weapons. But the nuclear war ravaged the planet, and the aliens destroyed the moon which wreaked global climate change. The surviving human race has taken up residence on Saturn’s moon Titan, and a few pockets of aliens, called Scavs for scavengers, are still wandering around on Earth trying to prevent the humans from getting the energy they need for Titan from the ocean, whose water is siphoned up through a huge pyramid hovering in the sky.

This is what Jack (Tom Cruise) and Victoria (Andrea Riseborough) sincerely believe. Their job at a remote outpost, which looks like the condo of the future, is to protect the siphoning process with the help of drones that Jack has to repair, daily risking his life whenever he leaves the outpost, while Victoria provides backup at the station and stays in touch with Sally at Mission Control, who masterminds the project. But the truth is that there is no colony on Titan, and the so-called Scavs, led by Morgan Freeman, are all that’s left of the human race. The drones and the pyramid are powered by the triumphant aliens who destroyed Earth looking for new energy resources. Jack and Victoria are lovers, due to a misunderstanding by the Alien Emperor (who takes on the form of Sally from NASA). When Jack and Victoria were captured, it was just the two of them, and a recent photograph with their heads together made Alien Sally think they were shacking up (which she calls being “an effective team”). So all the Jack and Victoria clones are a romantic couple. Jack was in fact married to another astronaut, Julia (Olga Kurylenko), who was released into outer space with the rest of the team just before capture as she slept in suspended animation.

Even though Jack is a clone whose memory has been wiped out as a precaution against capture, he keeps having dreams and memories of Julia. He also finds a little piece of Earth that is still intact, a retreat where he builds a shack, plays records, and collect books and mementos of whatever he can find from the old days. Finally, Julia’s capsule crash lands, the drones close in and destroy the sleeping astronauts, but Jack waves off the drone from Julia’s sleeping chamber. After awakening Julia, his memory keeps getting stronger, but Victoria, back at the condo, is truly a brainwashed clone, and she eventually reports him to Sally and is terminated for her trouble.

The [Icelandic] landscapes are spectacular (and do I see shades of Prometheus?), and though the plot is predictable and perhaps heavily reliant on other sources, it still shines through with a note of redemption, renewal, and faith in the resilience of the human race. And Tom Cruise is the perfect hero to communicate that positive message, a sort of clone in shining armor, if you will--and oh, yes, he’s also really cute.
  79. Aug 12, 2013
    the special effects were good but it lacks depth in the story and the script is weak Tom cruises performance was good rather than that the movie is just a waste of time.
  80. Aug 12, 2013
    I think the critics have been too hard on this one. Stunning cinematography, soundtrack, Olga Kurylenko, and a plot that isn't completely predictable. Getting Tom Cruise involved may have been a mistake (he's something of a ridiculous person these days), but if you like dystopian sci-fi, you'll like Oblivion.
  81. Aug 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would say the movie is excellent...until Morgan Freeman shows up. He destroys pretty much everything that has been built up until that point. The same happens in every movie where Michael Caine shows up. These guys are not made to play supporting roles. Anyway, the CGI is awesome. Tom Cruise is as awesome as always, too bad he has to be there next to Olga Kurylenko, who does nothing more than stare at the screen with her big eyes.
    I want that apartment That is one cool apartment...and the pool is...CGI, unfortunately...
  82. Aug 9, 2013
    Don't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately a love story: a pair of souls separated by time, war and science desperately seeking to reunite. It is one of Tom Cruise's best performances. The Icelandic scenery mixed with seamless CGI is stunning and restrained. The pace seems excruciatingly slow, but is perfect for the situation. With just a couple of small forgettable flaws in the science, the story is completely believable. Joseph Kosinski's graphic novel background shows in almost every frame, with perfect shot composition and transition. I was completely captivated by the mise en scene. (Look it up, kiddies.) Forget comments about being “derivative” or “unoriginal”. That’s the nature of science fiction. Finally, the M83 soundtrack is so perfect, you don't notice it until the wonderful final credits. Buy or rent it, and you will watch it over and over again. Tom & Joseph: you did good. I look forward to great projects from both of you. Joseph, I just hope the Disney dreck you have lined up doesn't bring you down. Yes, we all gotta work. Expand
  83. Aug 8, 2013
    picked up the latest Science-Fiction epic Oblivion. Sometimes I get a little worried buying a movie sight unseen but this time it certainly did not disappoint! The movie stars Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman and was directed by Joseph Kosinski and based on his graphic novel of the same name. The movie is one of the apocalyptic films which displays the planet earth after it has been destroyed by aliens.

I have decided this will be a spoiler free review because I think this is a movie you really need to see for yourself and to see it unfold before you. I will give a basic synopsis of the plot. It is the year 2077, 60 years after earth was invaded by aliens. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) and his partner Victoria "Vika" Owen, played by the beautiful Andrea Riseborough, are the only ones on after the invasion and they are there to repair drones that are fighting off the residual alien resistance. The surviving inhabitants of earth are living on Titan one of the moons of Saturn. Harper meets up with Malcolm Beech a resistance fighter played by the legendary Morgan Freeman (one of my very favorite actors) and he also begins to have flash backs to a time he was with a woman on the Empire State Building prior to the alien invasion. Things begin to unravel and we begin to see that appearances can be deceptive.

Pros: The cinematography and special effects are stellar. This movie is great eye candy but you do not get an overdose of it. The acting is great and two of my favorites, Cruise and Freeman, are in this film and do a fine job. This is my first time seeing Andrea Riseborough and I enjoyed her performance. She portrays a sense of vulnerability while also wanting to stay in denial concerning the things Jack is discovering. I do like the story. Some of the criticisms I have read that there are plot elements that we have seen in other movies. While I can agree with that assessment, I can also see that this is common in Hollywood movies. I am fine with movies that may have similar plot elements to other movies as long as it is executed well and that is the case with this movie. I also enjoy the story. The movie mixes romance, mystery and action adventure into a tale that will keep the viewer engaged and caring about all the characters throughout. Despite great special effects this is a very character driven movie.

Cons: I really have only one minor complaint. Director Kosinski wanted this movie to be an homage to the science fiction films of the 70s and in many way he succeeds in that endeavor. The movie is paced more like a film from the 70s and it is slower than the more kinetic pacing we modern viewers and grown accustomed to. Is that a fault of the directors or is it a fault of the viewer? I will place blame on myself. We live in a fast paced mircowave society that wants instant gratification. So it was hard to slow down and get absorbed into the story. I just wasn't used to it. So really this is not a con, it is just something that the viewer needs to be aware of when going in to the movie. It is an old-fashioned movie and as I think more on the pacing, it really does work even though some viewers might not be used to it.

This movie does have some good re watch capabilities for me. As a mystery there are clues throughout the movie and on more than one viewing you can pick up on these clues. In an era where science fiction films are heavy with CGI and are like cotton candy for the mind, this one is not. It will make you think and keep you on your toes.
  84. Aug 7, 2013
    What an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and a story that is absolutely amazing. The plot developed at a perfect pace for the environment and created a setting that felt genuine throughout. The only flaw was that there were some elements left unexplained, but then again it is a sci-fi movie so it doesn't take too much from the experience. I don't understand why so many critics slammed this movie but they do tend to like weird, artsy fartsy garb and dislike anything resembling a well-made action film. While this movie didn't have much action, it seems like it does from trailers so don't expect a gung-ho modern shooter or anything. If anything, it feels more like a Matrix style film in terms of pace. Regardless, I've said as much as I can say without revealing too much. I think most people would likely agree that Oblivion is a sci-fi epic worthy of the 2 hours. Expand
  85. Aug 6, 2013
    I was board throw the hole movie! You are waiting more than half of the movie for something to happen. And bad pilot too. The movies used to be good but now every one tries to spice up movies and they suck.
  86. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So what mainly happens in this movie is a robot alien that looks like a triangle kidnaps 2 astronauts and multiplies them thousands of times erases their memory and makes them believe they fight to save humanity... one of the clones meets his wife and he remembers... obviously he than sacrifices himself and saves the world... but don't worry the poor lady has 1000 other clones to be with so it's not really a loss...

I give it 3 points for the super awesome landscapes there... it's really nice and cool the portrayal of the post apocalyptic world...still... the movie it overrated...
  87. Aug 5, 2013
    Kosinski creates spectacular looking movies with a slightly uneven narrative. Sure, it's derivative of other sci-fi films of the past, and the first half is boring as hell. But once it gets going, you can't really fault them for not trying to do something 'original'. It's essentially a hardcore, high budgeted sci fi flick. So in a sea of sequels, I can't complain much. However, he seemed can't get the balance between visuals and narrative just yet. If his films are produced by a much more steadier vet such as Spielberg, then we would have gotten a gem out of this fellow. Expand
  88. Aug 4, 2013
    Great film. Intriguing setting, great scenery. Cruise and Riseborough present the believable life of a repairman and his operator. It's hard to explain, but everything that made Minecraft great is what is so compelling about Jack Harper the solitary job, the castle in the sky, the grandeur of a vast post-apocalyptic Earth.

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows
    some reserve and acting chops that really sells it as the story opens up. Some of the plot twists are predictable, but never convoluted, and the film does a good job of keeping you titillated, but allowing you to figure it out for yourself. There is no narrator or monologue explaining what's going on, the story tells itself in true science fiction fashion.

The soundtrack is great too.
  89. Aug 4, 2013
    The definition of "oblivion" is: "the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening". It's a blissful state in which the writers of Oblivion must have spent most of their time, and which explains the movie's plot holes, ridiculous dialogues, and badly told story. Only pro: Tom Cruise's flying vehicle sometimes moves beautifully, contrary to the director's camera work which is just banal, cold, and misses any opportunity he might've had to save such a bad script. Expand
  90. Aug 3, 2013
    Another movie that starts off promising with its solid story and good visuals, but then crashes and burns. Not only is it difficult to follow, it is so uninteresting.
  91. Aug 2, 2013
    I loved this movie, I was totally immersed from start to finish. I have to tip my hat to M83 for their original score as well, it says a lot about a movie when you want to buy the soundtrack after watching it. I can't say enough about this film, it is definitely a must see.
  92. Aug 2, 2013
    The beautiful scene and imagery did caught me in the seat along with the nice background music. Although I wouldn't consider it as the best, but it's definitely not the worst as there are still some unanswered details left in the movie. Nevertheless it did capture my attention with the twist in story plot. It reminds me of that similar to The Island.
  93. Aug 1, 2013
    It gets better toward the end. The movie would be better without Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman. There are lots of your typical sci-fi plot twists in the movie but overall not bad for watching during the day by yourself. The plot twists rip off a lot of other movies but at the end of day it was decent scifi entertainment when I wanted some scifi. It could have been much worse.
  94. Jul 29, 2013
    Oblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack will notice a certain resemblance here, but this is certainly not a bad thing, rather the opposite. The story is sort of a composition of elements you might have seen in other scifi movies, but this is not always avoidable and not really a problem. The style and execution are brilliant so I'm very much looking forward to Kosinski's next film. Highly recommended! Expand
  95. Jul 29, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. I came to it with high expectations which normally kills a movie dead for me, but this didn't disappoint. 10 minutes in I was already riding the wave of beautiful visuals, stunning conceived technology and more than capable acting. I really enjoyed the story line path as it opened questions, invited possible answers and really left a good feeling at the end. On a slight critical note the story did also create and leave a number of open ends that could cause the story problems which I wont mention here as may spoil the story if you haven't seen it. But this is all forgiven... I look forward to watching this again..... and again....and again.... Expand
  96. Jul 28, 2013
    First hour is extremely boring and once you closed to last 15 minutes movie becomes so interesting and quite please to watch.This is a classic Sci Fi movie without adding any commercial elements to attract all kind of crowed.Writers and Actors justify what we payed for.
  97. Jul 27, 2013
    Oblivion is all the things a $150 million movie starring Tom Cruise is nowadays: beautiful to look at, empty visual effects sequences, interspersed with just human emotion not to be totally artificial, all while having a recycled script from an interesting concept not fully developed. Director Joseph Kosinski is in need of making a low-budget passion project to prove his chops before studios throw another $150 million his way again, as his films (also including Tron: Legacy) have the look and feel of a cologne commercial set in a futuristic video game world. His 2 films have no emotion, depth or artifice. Love the setting in Iceland and the music selection of M83, even using my favorite painting, Andrew Wyeth's "Christina's World", but these are devices that try and distract the viewer from the emotion that Cruise should be exhibiting at any point during the film. I understand it's a director's choice to have Cruise play a restrained, hollow character relearning the value of human emotion, but Cruise was upstaged by everyone he shared the screen with, even the drones. Expand
  98. Jul 26, 2013
    A lovely visual experience, and a great science fiction movie. Its story is quite predictable, but is still intriguing and the viewers curiosity is maintained throughout the movie.

It's not non stop action, which is a good thing. Instead it delivers a chilling sci-fi mood. Highly recommended!
  99. Jul 26, 2013
    I expected more and I was disappointed. The story and visuals are ok but it can't compensate for the bad acting. Tom Cruise can't even manage the right facial expression for "No!" and "What?!". Watch this late at night and it will improve your chances of falling asleep.
  100. Jul 24, 2013
    While visually arresting and primed with action-sequences, "Oblivion" compromises its technical accomplishments with a disheveled script that helps itself liberally from numerous science fiction films. That being said, that doesn’t mean that much of it’s audience won’t find this fairly engaging and entertaining. Tom Cruise returns to the realms of science fiction, collaborating with director Joseph Kosinski "Tron: Legacy" (2010), in a big screen adaptation of his unpublished graphic novel.

Like a great deal of science fiction films, “Oblivion” requires a lengthy prologue in order to contextualize the viewer to the imaginative world they are being introduced to. In this case, that world is actually our own, just not at all like we know it. In 2077, 60 years after an alien invasion triggered a nuclear war that decimated the planet, the human race has all but abandoned Earth for Titan, the largest of Saturn's moons. Tom Cruise plays Jack Harper, one of the last few drone repairmen stationed on an Earth which has been abandoned for years following decades of war with a group known as the Scavs. Along with his wife Victoria (Andrea Riseborough), they maintain the fleet of drones, protecting the earth from the threat of the Scavs. Yet, when a series of drones go down, and a spaceship crashes with a beautiful survivor Julia (Olga Kurylenko) on board, Jack finds his life changed forever as everything he knows, (or thinks he knows), is blown apart.

"Oblivion" is an incredible piece of visual sci-fi eye candy; sleek, a wonderfully realized world of day-after-tomorrow style technology, including some brutally intense fight sequences. It's one of those films that demands it to be watched on the biggest screen you can possibly find. The world “Oblivion” paints is certainly a striking one, but the emptiness that now dominates the planet inevitably also permeates throughout the picture itself. This is the underlining problem with "Oblivion." The movie comes off as merely a derivative of other well-done, successful science fiction films. So much creativity went into the visual design that apparently little was left when crafting the plot. The movie liberally borrows from “WALL-E” (2008), “Total Recall” (1990), “Independence Day” (1996), “Planet of the Apes” (2001), and “Moon” (2009), that it often veers dangerously close into lawsuit territory.

"Oblivion" is admirable in its look and style, but the film is not unique or exceptional. It holds its own as the mystery initially plays out, and you do find yourself drawn in, but as the pieces begin to slot together, you can't help but feel you've seen it all before. Like the drones and Cruise himself “Oblivion” is competent, durable, and undeniably mechanical.

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.