Observe and Report

6.2

1. Nov 28, 2012
    I thought this movie was freakin' hilarious. Seth Rogen portrays such an amusing character here, and I found myself falling victim to the dark humor and violent comedy presented throughout this film. The dialogue in this film consists of some of the most crass and irreverant lines I've ever heard, but It's also some of the most hilarious, and the end of this movie is one of theI thought this movie was freakin' hilarious. Seth Rogen portrays such an amusing character here, and I found myself falling victim to the dark humor and violent comedy presented throughout this film. The dialogue in this film consists of some of the most crass and irreverant lines I've ever heard, but It's also some of the most hilarious, and the end of this movie is one of the strangest/goriest/funniest things I've ever seen. Expand
  2. Nov 23, 2011
    The acting is below average, I thought Anna Faris was pretty bad. The whole film is rather dark (in a good way) and it has quite a few hilarious moments. I enjoyed it.
  3. May 18, 2011
    What a different comedy. But in a good way. This is a very dark comedy where a lot of the humor comes from situations instead of dialogue. But still a very entertaining movie and when you get to the last 5 minutes your gut will be wanting to explode from laughing so hard
  4. Apr 17, 2011
    Incredible, extraordinarily underrated movie. Critics and moviegoers were too quick to dismiss it because it wasn't a laugh-a-minute comedy (which, admittedly, was what they were promised by the TV ads). But this film, aside from being funny, took serious chances and went very, very dark. In a good way.
    It may not be a good comedy but as a film it's good.
  5. JayK.
    Oct 1, 2009
    Amazing. Nearly perfect. Funny, unique, emotive. Any reviewer that can't at least acknowledge the greatness of this movie really is unqualified
  6. PorterhouseWagonsmith
    Apr 11, 2009
    Comparisons to "Taxi Driver" are appropriate, but this movie is 10x better because it's FUNNY! Don't listen to the ivory tower critics. See a movie about life in the real world of minimum wage workers with impossible dreams they hold in a death grip.
  7. denisev
    Apr 11, 2009
    I laughed hard at times.. and at other times, i was like, where is this going? very real though- i was one of those kids in jr. high that used to clown on dudes like Ronny, until one day, in Sr. year of highschool, Ronny hit me w/ his backpack due to my friends mumbling mean things about him.. and i'm a girl!! arrrg.. he had major anger issues..
  8. AlexT
    Apr 12, 2009
    A wonderful movie that is destined to be misunderstood for quite some time. The film establishes Jody Hill's voice of comedy that takes us into the mind of a repugnant asshole, gives us some laughs, and then throws us out of the theater feeling conflicted and uneasy. By having the main asshole character's delusions have strong moments of influence over the narrative, the A wonderful movie that is destined to be misunderstood for quite some time. The film establishes Jody Hill's voice of comedy that takes us into the mind of a repugnant asshole, gives us some laughs, and then throws us out of the theater feeling conflicted and uneasy. By having the main asshole character's delusions have strong moments of influence over the narrative, the uncomfortable feelings that have been Hill's bread and butter are taken to a truly sublime level. Expand
  9. JimF
    Apr 13, 2009
    I didn't expect to see a comic version of "Taxi Driver" at the multiplex, but I'm glad that Jody Hill, in true 1970's spirit, decided to make one. "Observe and Report" is painfully funny, the pain coming from the knowledge that the psychosis at the heart of the central character's actions are both real and increasingly commonplace, while the humor derives from I didn't expect to see a comic version of "Taxi Driver" at the multiplex, but I'm glad that Jody Hill, in true 1970's spirit, decided to make one. "Observe and Report" is painfully funny, the pain coming from the knowledge that the psychosis at the heart of the central character's actions are both real and increasingly commonplace, while the humor derives from Hill's ability to send up our expectations of the usual irrelevant nonsense. The film ultimately doesn't have any grand meaning, except perhaps to say that the violence that's constantly recycled in bad and meaningless action films is probably a lot more meaningful to the people watching it than most of us would care to admit. Expand
  10. JohnP
    Apr 17, 2009
    A fantastic movie, as mentioned, that's destined to be misunderstood. I enjoyed it because of the creativity in the presentation of the characters and the themes of the movie. Though it still follows the Hero's motif as almost all hollywood flicks do nowadays, the viewer is forced to hate the main character because of his psychosis, but love him at the same time for his upright A fantastic movie, as mentioned, that's destined to be misunderstood. I enjoyed it because of the creativity in the presentation of the characters and the themes of the movie. Though it still follows the Hero's motif as almost all hollywood flicks do nowadays, the viewer is forced to hate the main character because of his psychosis, but love him at the same time for his upright belief in justice and kindness. Expand
  11. KennyP
    Apr 18, 2009
    This movie is absolutely awesome. It really was a completely refreshing and dark comedy. Anybody who accuses Seth Rogen of being the same character in all his movies needs to check this one out, it's absolutely genius, and way ahead of its time. Jody Hill (who also created the show East Bound and Down) is doing an excellent job of making a name for himself.
  12. KGFreeze
    Apr 20, 2009
    This movie is not funny. It's quite disturbing. And it's really really good.
  13. martinb
    Apr 26, 2009
    Very demented take on the genre,very funny!!
  14. RyanS.
    Sep 23, 2009
    This movie makes you laugh at just how messed up it is. It's really quite brilliantly funny.
  15. MattF.
    Oct 18, 2009
    I can say i loved it, but it is kind of gross and not a great movie so i give it a solid 7. it was very funny, it was entertaining and a good mix of intense sad parts, crude funny parts, and a very shocking climax with a very good falling action and resolution. Definitely worth the couple bucks to rent or go see in the theatres.
  16. JefferyS
    Apr 11, 2009
    This is not for everybody, but its rare to see a flick as funny, as it is sad, as it is scary, as it is entertaining. Great performances all around.
  17. MichaelF
    Apr 11, 2009
    Absolutely hilarious. A bipolar hero? I was rooting for him!
  18. Charles
    Apr 15, 2009
    A one of a kind movie that features several taboo subjects and allows the viewer to either be utterly disgusted or rolling in laughter.
  19. BrandonC
    Apr 25, 2009
    This movie is not for everyone. I thought it was hilarious but I can see how many people would find it in bad taste. If you were a fan of Pineapple Express, you will probably like this movie, but be warned.

1. Barring a Terry Zwigoff return to "Bad Santa" territory, it's hard to imagine a filmmaker embracing this dubious hero to the extent writer-director Jody Hill does.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Ronnie is more complex, and much scarier, than the kind of self-deluding boob auds usually encounter in comedies of this sort. With the invaluable aid of Rogen, who's never been better, Hill sustains an impressive degree of tension between seemingly contradictory elements.
  3. Observe and Report is the rare "action-comedy" (almost always a muddled hybrid) that earns its cathartic climax. The blood is real because the psychosis is real. But somehow--the magic of comedy--it's also uproarious.