Observe and Report

6.2

1. Sep 11, 2011
    Overall a pretty funny movie, but a bit irritating if you're the type to notice details, like how Seth Rogen can commit crime after crime in public, sometimes against police themselves, with little repercussion. Or how handfuls of pills and alcohol aren't lethal.
  2. MichaelF
    Apr 11, 2009
    Absolutely hilarious. A bipolar hero? I was rooting for him!
  3. PorterhouseWagonsmith
    Apr 11, 2009
    Comparisons to "Taxi Driver" are appropriate, but this movie is 10x better because it's FUNNY! Don't listen to the ivory tower critics. See a movie about life in the real world of minimum wage workers with impossible dreams they hold in a death grip.
  4. SteF
    Sep 27, 2009
    Really dumb movie with absolutely terrible writing, bad ugly acting and moronic directing. Only a complete idiot would like this movie. Shame on you stupid critcs..shame on you
  5. PaulC
    Oct 9, 2009
    This movie was terrible. Rude jokes, bad language and drug use in a mall was supposed to be funny. Things seemed out of place and disjointed with no real story line. I can't see how any critics would say it was good at all. It tried to be a raunchy Paul Blart Mall Cop and it did not succeed. Try the other mall cop movie if you want a few laughs.
  6. JayK.
    Oct 1, 2009
    Amazing. Nearly perfect. Funny, unique, emotive. Any reviewer that can't at least acknowledge the greatness of this movie really is unqualified
  7. SeanF.
    Oct 5, 2009
    I really don't get Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill and all of that crew. In my opinion collectively the whole lot of them have only made a select few even watchable 'films'. These guys have been nothing but bad for the quality of major Hollywood comedies IMHO. Unquestionably, they've made a lot of money for a lot of folks in the major motion picture industry (and I really don't get Judd Apatow, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill and all of that crew. In my opinion collectively the whole lot of them have only made a select few even watchable 'films'. These guys have been nothing but bad for the quality of major Hollywood comedies IMHO. Unquestionably, they've made a lot of money for a lot of folks in the major motion picture industry (and they've undoubtedly put a lot of butts in the seats) but IMHO, their (plus Adam Sandler's, not that he's part of their crew) fifteen minutes, really ought to be up. Ray Liotta's acting career must really be in dire straits to have participated in any way in this movie. Expand
  8. Johnny2cents
    Oct 7, 2009
    Observe. Hey I can write a screen play!! Here is the secret recipe. F--ck You, No F--k You, No F--k You. Motherf--ker. C--ks--cker. Repeat ten to fifteen times every five minutes for 88 minutes et voila a movie. Report. This movie is truly an insult to comedy. Ray Liotta shame on you. Celia Weston shame shame shame on you. Michael Pena you already played in real disaster movie so give it Observe. Hey I can write a screen play!! Here is the secret recipe. F--ck You, No F--k You, No F--k You. Motherf--ker. C--ks--cker. Repeat ten to fifteen times every five minutes for 88 minutes et voila a movie. Report. This movie is truly an insult to comedy. Ray Liotta shame on you. Celia Weston shame shame shame on you. Michael Pena you already played in real disaster movie so give it up. And one more thing can someone PLEEEEASE sent Seth Rogen off far away to play in a stage version of Shrek for the next 10 years so that we don't have to see him in any more of his childish crap on the big screen. Expand
  9. denisev
    Apr 11, 2009
    I laughed hard at times.. and at other times, i was like, where is this going? very real though- i was one of those kids in jr. high that used to clown on dudes like Ronny, until one day, in Sr. year of highschool, Ronny hit me w/ his backpack due to my friends mumbling mean things about him.. and i'm a girl!! arrrg.. he had major anger issues..
  10. AMovieCritic
    Apr 10, 2009
    Yeesh. Had some funny moments but this dark comedy's at times so dark that it's almost hard to watch. Rogen's character's a delusional and psychotic person with a very bleak life who simply has no grasp of any sort of reality, and watching him's just not funny. Yes, some jokes work, but overall it's hard to get any enjoyment out of a movie that tries to play Yeesh. Had some funny moments but this dark comedy's at times so dark that it's almost hard to watch. Rogen's character's a delusional and psychotic person with a very bleak life who simply has no grasp of any sort of reality, and watching him's just not funny. Yes, some jokes work, but overall it's hard to get any enjoyment out of a movie that tries to play up a character, who so obviously needs psychiatric help, for laughs. And when the laughs do happen, they're really not all that funny. Plus, towards the end, the movie goes completely into fantasy land, and it just doesn't make sense considering the realism before it. I dunno. An unfortunate miss. Expand
  11. ChadS
    Apr 10, 2009
    Even at his most heroic, during the movie's major action set-piece, the filmmaker undermines the mall cop's heroism with a quick excursion into racially-motivated violence as he strives for a redemptive outcome to his citizen's arrest. Ronnie Barnhardt(Seth Rogen) is a genuine anti-hero, the rarest of things in a contemporary mainstream comedy, let alone, contemporary Even at his most heroic, during the movie's major action set-piece, the filmmaker undermines the mall cop's heroism with a quick excursion into racially-motivated violence as he strives for a redemptive outcome to his citizen's arrest. Ronnie Barnhardt(Seth Rogen) is a genuine anti-hero, the rarest of things in a contemporary mainstream comedy, let alone, contemporary mainstream film, period. At times, the mall cop can be downright hateful, especially in a politically incorrect scene with an Arab vendor that will give large portions of the audience pause. Although "Observe and Report" makes compromises galore, making amends with the skin-care expert he derisively calls Saddamn(Aziz Ansari) isn't one of them, thankfully. Ronnie remains fundamentally Ronnie. It helps offset some of the film's inevitable banalities. After the major action set-piece climaxes in a heart-stopping act of violence, for a split-second, "Observe and Report", you think, went all the way with a truly subversive coda. But alas, the film plays it safe, and slaps on a happy ending, which is the unfortunate mandate for all studio films, comedies especially. "Observe and Report" never goes the distance with its "Bad Mall Cop" sensibilities; the film goes depressingly mainstream when it counts. For instance, the character of Nell(Collette Wolfe), who is obviously pretty in spite of her temporary dismobilization and bad hair, should be plain, the complete opposite of his dream girl Brandi(Anna Faris), appearance-wise, because their convergence is supposed to be the union of two lonely people. All dolled up and cast-free, Nell now seems ill-fitted for the down-and-out security guard, but that's the Hollywood way: obsessively ramming happy endings down its customers' throats. For a racist with anger management problems, who in one scene, comes close to raping a girl, "Observe and Report" seems awfully forced in its attempts to make Ronnie likable. Expand
  12. AlexT
    Apr 12, 2009
    A wonderful movie that is destined to be misunderstood for quite some time. The film establishes Jody Hill's voice of comedy that takes us into the mind of a repugnant asshole, gives us some laughs, and then throws us out of the theater feeling conflicted and uneasy. By having the main asshole character's delusions have strong moments of influence over the narrative, the A wonderful movie that is destined to be misunderstood for quite some time. The film establishes Jody Hill's voice of comedy that takes us into the mind of a repugnant asshole, gives us some laughs, and then throws us out of the theater feeling conflicted and uneasy. By having the main asshole character's delusions have strong moments of influence over the narrative, the uncomfortable feelings that have been Hill's bread and butter are taken to a truly sublime level. Expand
  13. DoronK
    Apr 17, 2009
    Awful! Very few funny scenes and simply boring. Unlike Virgin, profanity is not funny here and overused. Lead character is just plain crazy--not that funny! Fell asleep, but didn't leave at least.
  14. EugeneW
    Apr 23, 2009
    My wife ans I walked out on this movie and got our money back. Jody Hill better go back and take a refresher course in writing . Lanuage was deplorable.F word every other word. If Jody Hill thinks his audience needs to hear filthy lanuage to make a movie funny, he needs to think again.
  15. AlexH
    Apr 24, 2009
    A very stupid movie that will cause a few laughs credited to Michael Pena, for once not Seth Rogen.
  16. davey
    Sep 28, 2009
    I thought it was remarkably unfunny, except for maybe 3 good lines. Mostly embarrassingly condescending, confused, and pointless. Rogen could have been replaced by R2D2. The director couldn't decide if it was supposed to be a weepy or a comedy, so tried for both and got neither. Maybe the worst movie I've seen this year (unless Sex and the City was this year).
  17. Smith
    Sep 30, 2009
    There is nothing here to recommend. This is a joyless film that actually could have been quite good if ANY of the joke set-ups would have played out with a humourous punch line but, no. This is just a mean spirited film and may hold a record for comic mis-fires.
  18. JT
    Oct 3, 2009
    Besides the final few minutes, this film is devoid of laughs. Is it just me or do Seth Rogen's films seem to be getting less and less entertaining?
  19. McCormickO
    Apr 11, 2009
    I've never rated a movie on line before but I felt compelled to after suffering through the worst 65 minutes of my life. I could have never lived with myself if I didn't walk out of Observe and Report and warn others of how truly awful this film is. If you enjoy passing kidney stones, chewing on tinfoil, or Yoko Ono's greatest hits, then this film is for you!
  20. DeeN
    Apr 12, 2009
    The movie was stupid and wasn't funny. I don't even no how this movie got to the big screen. Ugly guy running around naked. Stealing, shooting up drugs, the F word ever other word. Even my 24 year old son hated it. He said the reviewers were getting payed off to give this movie a good rating.
  21. JimF
    Apr 13, 2009
    I didn't expect to see a comic version of "Taxi Driver" at the multiplex, but I'm glad that Jody Hill, in true 1970's spirit, decided to make one. "Observe and Report" is painfully funny, the pain coming from the knowledge that the psychosis at the heart of the central character's actions are both real and increasingly commonplace, while the humor derives from I didn't expect to see a comic version of "Taxi Driver" at the multiplex, but I'm glad that Jody Hill, in true 1970's spirit, decided to make one. "Observe and Report" is painfully funny, the pain coming from the knowledge that the psychosis at the heart of the central character's actions are both real and increasingly commonplace, while the humor derives from Hill's ability to send up our expectations of the usual irrelevant nonsense. The film ultimately doesn't have any grand meaning, except perhaps to say that the violence that's constantly recycled in bad and meaningless action films is probably a lot more meaningful to the people watching it than most of us would care to admit. Collapse
  22. JohnP
    Apr 17, 2009
    A fantastic movie, as mentioned, that's destined to be misunderstood. I enjoyed it because of the creativity in the presentation of the characters and the themes of the movie. Though it still follows the Hero's motif as almost all hollywood flicks do nowadays, the viewer is forced to hate the main character because of his psychosis, but love him at the same time for his upright A fantastic movie, as mentioned, that's destined to be misunderstood. I enjoyed it because of the creativity in the presentation of the characters and the themes of the movie. Though it still follows the Hero's motif as almost all hollywood flicks do nowadays, the viewer is forced to hate the main character because of his psychosis, but love him at the same time for his upright belief in justice and kindness. Expand
  23. KennyP
    Apr 18, 2009
    This movie is absolutely awesome. It really was a completely refreshing and dark comedy. Anybody who accuses Seth Rogen of being the same character in all his movies needs to check this one out, it's absolutely genius, and way ahead of its time. Jody Hill (who also created the show East Bound and Down) is doing an excellent job of making a name for himself.
  24. KGFreeze
    Apr 20, 2009
    This movie is not funny. It's quite disturbing. And it's really really good.
  25. martinb
    Apr 26, 2009
    Very demented take on the genre,very funny!!
  26. JayH.
    Sep 15, 2009
    Not too bad, but I must say I was a bit disappointed. Anna Faris is great as always, but for a comedy, it has a lot of meanness to it, which kind of spoils the fun. It does have some great scenes, I just wish it was more consistent.
  27. RyanS.
    Sep 23, 2009
    This movie makes you laugh at just how messed up it is. It's really quite brilliantly funny.
  28. ToddF
    Sep 24, 2009
    Eugene, I agree with you that the movie wasn't that great, or even that funny. But it did have a few funny moments. But to walk out of a movie and give it a 0/10 because YOU are too fragile to handle the f word? Thats deplorable. I give it a 4 for entertainment.
  29. JayD
    Sep 30, 2009
    I've only seen one other movie this bad, and that was Palahniuk's "Choke". Tons of now-obligitory male frontal nudity? Check. Date rape used as comedy? Check. This has worse writing than a George Lucas script. It only gets a 3 because of the great soundtrack.
  30. MattF.
    Oct 18, 2009
    I can say i loved it, but it is kind of gross and not a great movie so i give it a solid 7. it was very funny, it was entertaining and a good mix of intense sad parts, crude funny parts, and a very shocking climax with a very good falling action and resolution. Definitely worth the couple bucks to rent or go see in the theatres.
  31. JefferyS
    Apr 11, 2009
    This is not for everybody, but its rare to see a flick as funny, as it is sad, as it is scary, as it is entertaining. Great performances all around.
  32. SteveB
    Apr 13, 2009
    I sure didn't hear much laughter at the screening I attended. There were a few "chuckle" moments, but this movie was pretty lean in terms of comedy. What it was was disturbing, with several scenes designed to simply shock the audience. Overall, a pretty terrible movie, I love movies, but felt I really wasted my time with this one. Nothing redeeming at all.
  33. EvS
    Apr 13, 2009
    Pretty horrible. A weak knockoff that made no sense and didn't cause many laughs.
  34. CindeeG
    Apr 14, 2009
    WORST movie ever. We usually compare our favorite parts, but for this movie we chose our "YUCK-YOU" moments 1) the swinging limp dick; long scene: short penis 2) the humorless "f*ck you" yelling match 3) the drunk/vomiting kiss and screw scene 4) creepy policemen. Legendary Productions is a legend in my mind, but not for ONE good reason. Don't waste your time or money!
  35. Charles
    Apr 15, 2009
    A one of a kind movie that features several taboo subjects and allows the viewer to either be utterly disgusted or rolling in laughter.
  36. BillC.
    Apr 21, 2009
    Wow , what a disapointment! Turns out not everything Seth Rogan touches is gold.This is 90 minutes with no comedy and no drama.It's just stupid. Poor Ray Liotta.He now has this film in his lifes body of work. What Holleywood Nit-Wit thought this film was releasable??
  37. BrandonC
    Apr 25, 2009
    This movie is not for everyone. I thought it was hilarious but I can see how many people would find it in bad taste. If you were a fan of Pineapple Express, you will probably like this movie, but be warned.
  38. Apr 17, 2011
    Incredible, extraordinarily underrated movie. Critics and moviegoers were too quick to dismiss it because it wasn't a laugh-a-minute comedy (which, admittedly, was what they were promised by the TV ads). But this film, aside from being funny, took serious chances and went very, very dark. In a good way.
    It may not be a good comedy but as a film it's good.
  39. Nov 23, 2011
    The acting is below average, I thought Anna Faris was pretty bad. The whole film is rather dark (in a good way) and it has quite a few hilarious moments. I enjoyed it.
  40. Mar 10, 2011
    This has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen, avoid at all costs, it's not funny, and Seth Rogen probably gave one of the worst performances ever.
  41. May 18, 2011
    What a different comedy. But in a good way. This is a very dark comedy where a lot of the humor comes from situations instead of dialogue. But still a very entertaining movie and when you get to the last 5 minutes your gut will be wanting to explode from laughing so hard
  42. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie is exacly what you think it is. It is stupid mind numbing humor. Thats it, if you go into this expecting the next Boondock Saints or Godfather then you are horribly confused. This movie is nothing more then stupid joke with lame punch lines, but my god is it funny. The ending made it all worth while for me. Watch this movie to kill a couple hours and just veg out.
  43. Sep 4, 2011
    This is a strange movie. Regular fans of Seth Rogen movies will either love it because of him, or be disturbed by his dark turn in this one. Playing a sociopathic, bipolar mall guard, it serves as an adult alternative to Kevin James's similar premise family comedy, Paul Blart: Mall Cop. All in all, I found myself bemused more than amused by the whole thing, and the as the end creditsThis is a strange movie. Regular fans of Seth Rogen movies will either love it because of him, or be disturbed by his dark turn in this one. Playing a sociopathic, bipolar mall guard, it serves as an adult alternative to Kevin James's similar premise family comedy, Paul Blart: Mall Cop. All in all, I found myself bemused more than amused by the whole thing, and the as the end credits rolled in front of my eyes, I thought "what the **** did I just witness?" Expand
  44. Jul 13, 2013
    Observe and Report is a great film, if you're 12 years old and find the obsessive use of the 'F' word funny. I usually love Seth Rogan, I think he's one of the best comedic actors out there, but unfortunately every actor is going to have a few misses. Observe and Report is one of those films that just doesn't cut it. In the film, Seth Rogan plays Ronnie Barnhardt, who is the equivalent ofObserve and Report is a great film, if you're 12 years old and find the obsessive use of the 'F' word funny. I usually love Seth Rogan, I think he's one of the best comedic actors out there, but unfortunately every actor is going to have a few misses. Observe and Report is one of those films that just doesn't cut it. In the film, Seth Rogan plays Ronnie Barnhardt, who is the equivalent of Paul Blart on a bad trip. He's a mall cop, who is obsessed with his job and with the hot girl who works the make-up counter at the local department store. Literally the only funny part of this movie is the flasher, that Ronnie is trying to catch. It's simplistic humor, but a man running around a mall, flashing his penis at people, and making dirty comments is funny! The rest of this film is not, as it's one big racist, childish, romp, through a world of sex, drugs, and the abuse of power. Rogan is terrific, but his character was a rambling, confused, uneducated guy, that just wears on every last nerve. Observe and Report is a film that has been done, many times and in many different ways. The producers hoped that an all-star cast would help the film, but sadly it doesn't. The film plays as though it was written by a teenager, and all that's missing is the fart jokes. I'm a big Seth Rogan fan, but I was sadly disappointed by this film. Expand
  45. Nov 28, 2012
    I thought this movie was freakin' hilarious. Seth Rogen portrays such an amusing character here, and I found myself falling victim to the dark humor and violent comedy presented throughout this film. The dialogue in this film consists of some of the most crass and irreverant lines I've ever heard, but It's also some of the most hilarious, and the end of this movie is one of theI thought this movie was freakin' hilarious. Seth Rogen portrays such an amusing character here, and I found myself falling victim to the dark humor and violent comedy presented throughout this film. The dialogue in this film consists of some of the most crass and irreverant lines I've ever heard, but It's also some of the most hilarious, and the end of this movie is one of the strangest/goriest/funniest things I've ever seen. Expand
  46. Nov 22, 2014
    Brutal, absolutely brutal. I love Seth Rogen but you'd have a hard time trying to convince me to watch this again. This one is just too similar to Paul Blart Mall Cop, and its not nearly as funny. Its even got Anna Farris as the love interest just like Mall Cop.

1. Barring a Terry Zwigoff return to "Bad Santa" territory, it's hard to imagine a filmmaker embracing this dubious hero to the extent writer-director Jody Hill does.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Ronnie is more complex, and much scarier, than the kind of self-deluding boob auds usually encounter in comedies of this sort. With the invaluable aid of Rogen, who's never been better, Hill sustains an impressive degree of tension between seemingly contradictory elements.
  3. Observe and Report is the rare "action-comedy" (almost always a muddled hybrid) that earns its cathartic climax. The blood is real because the psychosis is real. But somehow--the magic of comedy--it's also uproarious.