Warner Bros. | Release Date: June 8, 2018
5.3
Mixed or average reviews based on 137 Ratings
Watch Now
GrantD243Jun 13, 2018
I like heist movies. I like them quite a bit, actually, but it is a hard genre to make something that hasn't been done before. American Animals, I feel like, succeeded in doing a different kind of heist movie. Ocean's 8, however, is nothingI like heist movies. I like them quite a bit, actually, but it is a hard genre to make something that hasn't been done before. American Animals, I feel like, succeeded in doing a different kind of heist movie. Ocean's 8, however, is nothing special, at all. It's nothing new, and honestly it was not even as entertaining as I was hoping it would be.

Story: The story of Ocean's 8 follows Debbie Ocean as she gets released from prison and reveals that she's been planning a heist for several years. She then gathers a crew to execute the heist. There is some fun to be had here, as one of the most fun parts of heist movies is when the characters are planning and preparing for the heist. However, it all seems so, so easy. Anytime the characters hit a snag, or run into something that may be a problem, it's not really a problem. They brush it off and almost instantly have a solution that works. There is never a feeling that the heist won't work out, or that some road block may cause a real problem for anyone involved. There are also several attempts at humor, but most of it fell flat. My showing wasn't sold out, but it was fairly full and there were maybe two moments when the audience collectively chuckled. It also doesn't help that apart from the set up...I honestly didn't find this movie as fun as I expected to. The actual heist is somewhat entertaining, but nothing special, and the rest of the third act (after the heist sequence is over) is honestly kind of boring. Acting: Everyone involved does a great job, which is almost a given these days in most major releases.. Unsurprisingly, Sandra Bullock is the standout among the main crew. Overall: Ocean's 8 is fine, I guess. Some people will enjoy it, some won't. It is cool that they had an all-female cast, but apart from that this movie is nothing to write home about.
miccaelJun 8, 2018
Disappointing. Nothing new. Change cast's gender, change cash to jewels. Dialogues are boring. WTF was Corden doing there? His nose is everywhere nowadays, getting annoying. Feels like fangirls made this movie. It does not feel like uniqueDisappointing. Nothing new. Change cast's gender, change cash to jewels. Dialogues are boring. WTF was Corden doing there? His nose is everywhere nowadays, getting annoying. Feels like fangirls made this movie. It does not feel like unique movie. Sure, everyone looks good, generally fun, but we have seen heist movie how many times now?
Movie is not good as original, no intense moments like original. The ending part was weirdly made so you go "oh wait, it's not over?" ...
Better script was NEEDED here! Actresses are good, don't get me wrong, but this would have been same review no matter the gender of actors.
CmdrRJun 9, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you love this cast, you'll like this movie. I wish I could use the word 'love' twice. Truth is, though, this is a movie that never even tries to scribble outside the lines. They plan a heist. They conduct a heist. Aside from some not terribly interesting setbacks, everything goes according to plan. Worse, you get only a tiny amount of humor, mostly from James Cordon. I can forgive the plot holes -- and there are a bunch, but I can't understand all the missed opportunities. Two of the main characters have slept with the same guy and hate him. We get NOT ONE word or exchanged glance. ??? Also -- WHY did they kill Danny Ocean? OK, he 'might' not be dead, but that will only mean something when they make the inevitable cross-over film. For now, they used his death (yeah, it's faked so no spoiler alert call here) as a framing device. Why?? By what right do you kill off the hero of three movies? Not since Captain Kirk... or Superman... or Han Solo... Oh wait, I just answered my own question. This film is formula, right down to the flying box wipes. I'd laugh my balls off if they'd stuck in Frank Sinatra just to see if the audience was still awake. Alas, there's nothing daring here. It's just a movie with women we like. I guess that's fine... but, it could have been so much more. Expand
tropicAcesJun 9, 2018
It’s nothing special, and its big twist is inadvertently spoiled in the marketing, but the cast is too great for this to be a total disappointment. If you like the OCEAN films or any of these ladies, it’s a good time at the movies.
ProteusJun 9, 2018
Takes coasting to a new level. This is like watching Lebron James dribble twice and make a layup.
amheretojudgeJun 8, 2018
a familiar heist with undercooked characters..

Ocean's Eight A spin-off like such shouldn't assume that the clock is going to resume ticking but instead will have to work from zero and even work harder considering the expectations it has to
a familiar heist with undercooked characters..

Ocean's Eight

A spin-off like such shouldn't assume that the clock is going to resume ticking but instead will have to work from zero and even work harder considering the expectations it has to satisfy. The camera work is appreciative and is shot beautifully too where its rich costume design makes it worth along with the up beating sound department that elevates its momentum. The enthusiasm and passion towards the project is clearly visible but the "fan-struck" charge isn't enough to feed off the audience for almost two hours. The characters depicted in here, are raw, chalky and taken from a typical heist genre features that never move pasts its dull sub-plot. The screenplay keeps the audience engaged but the most part of it, is the star power which isn't utilized to its best but left up to fate and charm. Gary Ross; the director, is quite convincing and stays true to the tone of the franchise with his decent execution skills but fails to create the anticipated impact on screen. Anne Hathaway is flat out hilarious in her portrayal of a bratty celebrity but other than that, the cast (Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Sarah Paulson and Helena Bonham Carter) is surprisingly enjoying a bit much to keep the crisp alive or factor in effectively and the primary reason would be the range and space which isn't much to explore. The stakes projected in here never communicates with the audience as the work behind it is somewhere lost in its self-created scrutiny and the urge to hold the cards up the sleeve until the final act arrives. Considering the strength and the potential of the cast, it seems like a swing and a miss on terms of originality and craft as the makers seems distracted by the commercial aspects of it. Ocean's Eight is a familiar heist with undercooked characters that is pretentious than it is feasible for the makers, actors and the audience.
ubeguysmileyJun 17, 2018
Like the gender-flipped “Ghostbusters” before it, this movie lacks any real substance and character development. While there are moments that are enjoyable, the movie seems like it is trying to make a point that the "female version" can beLike the gender-flipped “Ghostbusters” before it, this movie lacks any real substance and character development. While there are moments that are enjoyable, the movie seems like it is trying to make a point that the "female version" can be just as good. Sadly it does not do this.

If this was not an "Ocean's" movie, but an original script, it would be absolutely panned, but seeing as it is a "female reboot" of course it will collect it's modicum of glory for waving the flag of feminism.

Stop making these reboots, sequels, prequels, and additional stories. Make a genuinely enjoyable, original, movie that will stand, or fall on it's actual merits. Not because it is a female remake of a successful movie franchise.

Watch it on stream, don't waste money going to the movies for this.
ValdiBJun 12, 2018
Ocean’s 8 is a fun heist flick, but it’s not as criminally terrific as Ocean’s 11. The casts’ chemistry is gr8. Anne Hathaway stole the show playing... what society expects her to act in real life and Helena Bonham Carter delivers on theOcean’s 8 is a fun heist flick, but it’s not as criminally terrific as Ocean’s 11. The casts’ chemistry is gr8. Anne Hathaway stole the show playing... what society expects her to act in real life and Helena Bonham Carter delivers on the humor, despite the occasional accent slips. In spite of this, the movie’s direction robs the excitement out of a promising yet stylish premise. Still, if you're looking for a more comedic approach to the Ocean franchise, this would be a breath of fresh air. Expand
GinaKJun 18, 2018
Where is Hugh Grant when we need him? The buildup to the robbery and even the robbery itself was routine, and its complexity and the scenes shot inside and right outside the Met Museum in perfect weather were all that kept me interested (theWhere is Hugh Grant when we need him? The buildup to the robbery and even the robbery itself was routine, and its complexity and the scenes shot inside and right outside the Met Museum in perfect weather were all that kept me interested (the script lacked wit and the direction and sadly the gowns were lackluster – perhaps the biggest highlight of the Met Gala is the parade of wonderful clothes). But once the robbery was over, the “twist” arrived, and James Corden joined the cast, things got much more interesting. This film should have been better – and it needed more of everything that makes a comedy work – included perhaps a dash of farce or at least of “hectic.” Disappointing. Expand
EvanSJun 12, 2018
I would pay to watch this ensemble read a phone book for 90 minutes, but really this a hugely missed opportunity with serious lack of connection and chemistry and humor between these women and a workaday script that just move the mechanics ofI would pay to watch this ensemble read a phone book for 90 minutes, but really this a hugely missed opportunity with serious lack of connection and chemistry and humor between these women and a workaday script that just move the mechanics of the job. Expand
TVJerryJun 13, 2018
Sandra Bullock plays the mastermind behind an elaborate plot to snatch a diamond necklace right off the neck of its wearer at the Met Gala. She assembles a team that includes Cate Blanchett, Helena Bonham Carter, Rihanna, Mindy Kaling andSandra Bullock plays the mastermind behind an elaborate plot to snatch a diamond necklace right off the neck of its wearer at the Met Gala. She assembles a team that includes Cate Blanchett, Helena Bonham Carter, Rihanna, Mindy Kaling and Sara Paulson. While it's an interesting group, there's not a lot of amusing interactions or clever characterizations. This is more about the mechanizations of the heist than enjoying the personalities. The exception is Anne Hathaway, who seems to be relishing playing against type, as the self-absorbed movie-star who wears the jewels. There's lots of glamour (several of the women look over made up), some beautiful locations and a few dozen cameos (many of whom I didn't recognize). It's adequately entertaining, but not as sharp or smart as the earlier versions. Expand
TimW001Jun 11, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Acting certainly was not an issue. The talent and potential was huge in this film.
It had a four part film of getting out of prison, getting the band back together, the heist, and the epilogue. But in this film the first three of those were clustered together. You never got a solid footing of where we were in the story. The heist scene lacked any suspense. It went off pretty smooth. They overcame any issues quite simply and without any problems. The fourth part of the film is finally when it started ticking properly, and became interesting. This is where the investigation began and also they stole additional stuff. The last 30 minutes of this movie was great.

I'm progressive and I am for all women casts. But is it not sexist to have a bunch of women stealing jewelry? Couldn't be stealing from a bank or casino, nope, necklaces.
benskylerhillJun 9, 2018
An uneven but mostly enjoyable summer flick, Ocean’s 8 is a well-written comedy but fails to serve as a consistently engaging, thrilling heist film.

It’s a charming and witty movie thanks to its characters that are all well-established as unique individuals with fun, quirky personalities and skills. The script capitalises on this and incorporates fast-paced humour that never gets old because the hilarity is always as different as it’s characters.

But this is where the film’s success about stops. Like most heist movies, Ocean’s 8 sets up various problems for the thieves as things start to go wrong with the plan or the actual heist. But rather than expanding on these plot points to build thrills and suspense, the story resolves every single issue that comes up in a matter of seconds. This completely deflates any sense of tension and also makes the characters less interesting because the protagonists can get out of anything with incredible ease while the antagonists come across as unfathomably stupid and gullible.

Ocean’s 8 is good enough to be a welcome addition to the franchise it builds upon. It’s funny and entertaining and is well-directed and acted. But it’s clumsily conceived, half-baked plot makes it a mostly forgettable, average crime film.

Story: 1