8.4

1. Aug 16, 2010
    It's hard to imagine a movie cooler than "Ocean's Eleven", which has so much star power, style, in-jokes, and witty dialogue that it almost seems like the entire city of Hollywood was in on the production. The ending is genuinely surprising and well-done, and doesn't overcomplicate things or insult the audience's intelligence. For simple but fizzy entertainment, "Ocean's Eleven" is a blast.
  2. CRL
    Sep 24, 2011
    Ocean's Eleven is the slickest of heist movies, perfectly paced, star-studded, excellently acted by its entire cast, exciting in parts, funny in others, and visually brilliant in every single scene. This is one of the few movies that, if on, I have to watch until the end.
  3. Nov 9, 2014
    Ocean's Eleven is a very slick, witty and well-crafted heist movie which bases on light-hearted fun rather than violence. Fortunately, that pays off perfectly.
  4. BrazilGetty
    Dec 18, 2001
    Easily one of the best movies of the year. It's a shame the Academy always chooses sappy dramas for Best Movie Oscars because this movie deserves serious consideration. Every cast member is wonderful in it. Soderbergh has directed another wonderful movie.
  5. NickS.
    Jan 3, 2002
    Soderbergh has another hit on his hands with this slick, heist film. Lots of stars without enough screen time. Don Cheadle was wasted here and there was no reason at all for his British accent. It was reminiscent of old school Vegas where there were no families and everyone was dressed to impress. The style was very similar to "Out of Sight," another Soderbergh and Clooney vehicle, and Soderbergh has another hit on his hands with this slick, heist film. Lots of stars without enough screen time. Don Cheadle was wasted here and there was no reason at all for his British accent. It was reminiscent of old school Vegas where there were no families and everyone was dressed to impress. The style was very similar to "Out of Sight," another Soderbergh and Clooney vehicle, and Ocean's Eleven could have been the sequel. Also the film should have ended at the Bellagio fountain! Those who have seen the film will understand. Expand
  6. VikramM.
    Dec 6, 2004
    This movie was unbelievable. It was funny, action-packed, smart, and it kept you on the edge of your seat. Geroge Clooney did an amazing job as Danny Ocean. A movie like this you have to sit back and relax and watch the movie just to see a great heist movie. Of course, none of this could be done. Never, ever, ever. But that's what makes a lot of movies (including Ocean's Eleven) This movie was unbelievable. It was funny, action-packed, smart, and it kept you on the edge of your seat. Geroge Clooney did an amazing job as Danny Ocean. A movie like this you have to sit back and relax and watch the movie just to see a great heist movie. Of course, none of this could be done. Never, ever, ever. But that's what makes a lot of movies (including Ocean's Eleven) fun, you know it's never gonna happen but you watch it for a good action movie with fun and excitement. Ahh, how I love heist movies! Collapse
  7. RyanM.
    Dec 15, 2001
    Steven Soderbergh made a name for himself a couple years ago when he created "The Limey," then in 2000, he had a huge year. He was praised for both "Traffic" and "Erin Brockovich." Then, he was nominated for best director for both films. He won for "Traffic." Now, he has made his first film of 2001 ?Ocean?s Eleven.? It feels like drinking water for the first time in months, it?s like a Steven Soderbergh made a name for himself a couple years ago when he created "The Limey," then in 2000, he had a huge year. He was praised for both "Traffic" and "Erin Brockovich." Then, he was nominated for best director for both films. He won for "Traffic." Now, he has made his first film of 2001 ?Ocean?s Eleven.? It feels like drinking water for the first time in months, it?s like a wake up call of refreshing air to Hollywood. It?s unquestionably one of the five best movies of the year. It has humor, style and tremendous slyness. Its cast is brilliant even in their out-of-place out there characters. I admit, Julia Roberts is wasted, but otherwise it?s absolutely flabbergasting what they came up with acting-wise. Brad Pitt is again, amazing, and he fights for "The King Of The Screen" with Hollywood hunk #2 George Clooney. Andy Garcia is amazing as the "bad guy" casino owner. The thing is, while watching it, Soderbergh does one of the best jobs ever of having the audience root for the bad guys, or are they the good guys, that?s what?s so great, you don?t really know. But, why is it so exceptional? It?s because of it?s whacked out, weirdo sense of hilarious style. Expand
  8. Nov 21, 2010
    The slick Soderbergh, his team of deft screen writers as well as the A-star ensemble make Oceanâ
  9. May 20, 2014
    Clever movie, with action and humor. The cast is brilliant, featuring many of my favorites, and their characters are outrageous without becoming ridiculous; they all bring something to the mix.

A must see movie!
  10. Mar 15, 2014
    This sleak crime comedy was a lot better than I expected. First off, the cast lives up to the hype. Whenever a film manages to get so many great actors together, you know you are in for something interesting and that is exactly what this one delivered. In addition, the entire robbery sequence was very intriguing and kept you on the edge of your seat as it was happening. Every characterThis sleak crime comedy was a lot better than I expected. First off, the cast lives up to the hype. Whenever a film manages to get so many great actors together, you know you are in for something interesting and that is exactly what this one delivered. In addition, the entire robbery sequence was very intriguing and kept you on the edge of your seat as it was happening. Every character really brought something to the table and in spite of there being so much competition for screen time, it never felt overwhelming in that respect. The thing this film really has going for it, without a doubt, is the banter between Clooney and Pitt. The comedic elements brought to the table by the both of them really helped make this into one of the funnest films I have watched in a while.

I am not typically a huge fan of Soderbergh's films, but this one worked well, however there were some negatives. Of course Don Cheadle's accent was...indiscernable. I do not want to comment on whether his accent was good or not, but at times, it was tough to understand what exactly he was trying to say. In addition, I had a tough time sitting here and believing that Julia Roberts was the most attractive and talented actress they could have cast for a role that emphasized her attractiveness. There has to be someone more attractive than her who was interested. Seriously.
  11. Jan 28, 2013
    One of the best movies I've seen in a while. This very well made and bound.
  12. Dec 27, 2012
    The witty cast, brilliant heist, and the overall style in this movie is marvelous. While this movie is actually quite shallow I still find myself returning to watch it. The interaction between the actors in this movie is oddly quite remarkable on screen chemistry. The mindless banter and the brilliant heist will keep you smiling until the credits roll. Maybe it's just me but I foundThe witty cast, brilliant heist, and the overall style in this movie is marvelous. While this movie is actually quite shallow I still find myself returning to watch it. The interaction between the actors in this movie is oddly quite remarkable on screen chemistry. The mindless banter and the brilliant heist will keep you smiling until the credits roll. Maybe it's just me but I found Don Cheadle's British accent to be a bit cheesy and almost cringe-worthy. But other than that this is a brilliant movie. Enjoy! Expand
  13. Jul 4, 2014
    Is a Great Movie. It has a lot to offer for those who enjoy plot twist and witty movies. Its a must watch and I would say is one of the greatest movies of all times.
  14. Mar 31, 2011
    A very excellent heist movie.....
  15. Sep 7, 2011
    One of the first Soderbergh movies I have encountered. Despite the preposterously shallow plot, Soderbergh's stylish direction, splendid acting from the cast (especially Brad Pitt), and witty humor easily makes this movie one of the best heist films I have seen in my life.
  16. Nov 16, 2013
    Is not the greatest movie I have seen. While its not that bad, Oceans 11 is sometimes lame and boring and the only actor, who really does a good job is brad pitt. Has a few good jokes though
  17. Mar 8, 2014
    A very good heist movie, Eleven delivers. Clooney is suave and collected in his role as Danny Ocean, and plays the part well. As it unfolds, the story gets even more fun, especially with its stellar cast.
  18. Nov 12, 2013
    Witty, Inventive, and above all, Entertaining.
    Ocean's Eleven ignites with an all star cast, and a slew of impressive performances and intelligent dialogue.
  19. Ian
    Feb 24, 2002
    Comic timing? Chemistry between characters? I think not. What jokes there are are poor at best and the performances are laboured throughout with no feeling of genuine camaraderie to be seen. It's not even that fast paced, starting with a dire opening compilation of introductions to the 11 thieves that fails to offer anything approaching worthwhile characterisation. The 11 members Comic timing? Chemistry between characters? I think not. What jokes there are are poor at best and the performances are laboured throughout with no feeling of genuine camaraderie to be seen. It's not even that fast paced, starting with a dire opening compilation of introductions to the 11 thieves that fails to offer anything approaching worthwhile characterisation. The 11 members seem to be a burden as the writers have struggled to fill out all of them, tagging on nonsense with appalling London accents and supposed comedy duos. Altogether a great disappointment of a film that is slick to the Nth degree but shallow and less than exciting throughout. Shame. Expand
  20. AlastairP.
    Mar 5, 2003
    Very boring. Waste of a great cast.
  21. YoonC.
    Sep 24, 2003
    Well-crafted heist movie which cheats on several key details(turning off the electrity, for example)and so fails to truly surprise or impress. Besides, the stakes are too high and the feat too outrageous even for minimum credibility, rather like David Copperfield's trick of making the Statue of Liberty disappear. Suspension of disbelief has its limits. Worse, Julia Roberts and Andy Well-crafted heist movie which cheats on several key details(turning off the electrity, for example)and so fails to truly surprise or impress. Besides, the stakes are too high and the feat too outrageous even for minimum credibility, rather like David Copperfield's trick of making the Statue of Liberty disappear. Suspension of disbelief has its limits. Worse, Julia Roberts and Andy Garcia fare poorly as love interest and as villain. The only real heist in the movie is how Soderbergh and his associates milked the audience out of millions. Expand
  22. PatC.
    Jan 6, 2004
    Image "The Sting" with all the catchy scenes removed. Presto. Intricate flashy entertaining thriller, but like all Clooney flicks, no underlying substance. The cast also includes the very best of other substanceless personnel.
  23. DonD.
    Dec 7, 2001
    The critics must now be numb from the lack of good movies in weeks. Ocean's 11 is a mind-number. There was no audience reaction throughout the film. How could a movie go so wrong with a cast so strong? George Clooney underplayed the lead character. Brad Pitt was the only cast member who appeared to fit. Ocean's 11 should have been deep-sixed!
  24. TedR.
    Jan 12, 2002
    "The Sting" revisited. Poor choice for $20 trip to the movies.
  25. AndrewC.
    Feb 4, 2002
    Clever.
  26. OliverR.
    Apr 11, 2002
    Slow paced and pondorous. There's no real chemistry between the stars or sparkle in the dialogue. I was constantly expecting the film to build to a "Snatch"-like climax, but nothing ever really got going.
  27. TonyB.
    Jan 25, 2006
    Not even as good as the original, and that wasn't very good to begin with, "Ocean'se 11" is a star-studded piece of tripe of questionable morality and ethics. The sequel is likely to be worse.
  28. A.Gravy
    Dec 13, 2001
    This film is as entertaining as flipping through a People magazine at the dentist's office. It provides glamourous, but cling-free moving images to momentarily engage the outermost parts of your filmatic soul.
  29. JackD.
    Dec 19, 2001
    How could a movie with a strong cast and an award winning director be so mediocre? It is not that this is a bad movie, you just expect so much more from it. It doesnt make me eagerly await Oceans 12...
  30. Jan 22, 2014
    The Eleven is classy, paced and swiftly made that stands still and could have been made in the 60's in it's styling and writing. Cool, inspired and certainly not a waste of time if you want to see a fantastic ensemble in the best heist film of the century.
  31. Jul 23, 2013
    George Clooney and Brad Pitt lead a fantastic cast in Ocean's Eleven. The plot is also very interesting and the movie and characters, even though there are a lot of them, develop rather nicely. My favorite character is probably Don Cheadle's though. He plays the role of reckless british explosives nut flawlessly. I thought there were a few plot holes but none that actually affected theGeorge Clooney and Brad Pitt lead a fantastic cast in Ocean's Eleven. The plot is also very interesting and the movie and characters, even though there are a lot of them, develop rather nicely. My favorite character is probably Don Cheadle's though. He plays the role of reckless british explosives nut flawlessly. I thought there were a few plot holes but none that actually affected the critical plot points regarding the heist so they are easily overlooked. I think they could've spent more time on the actual heist/planning process but the movie would've probably been too long if they did. Overall, this is a really good movie with solid acting and, while it's isn't exciting, it still provides for some nice entertainment value. Expand
  32. Aug 25, 2014
    Classic Soderbergh. Ocean's Eleven begins an unlikely franchise of sly and cunning hooligans. George Clooney and Julia Roberts are wonderful together--not to mention their extremely talented co-stars.
  33. Aug 28, 2012
    Dizzyingly energetic and jazzy, Ocean's Eleven is a spicy action film that is elevated to the heights by its jaw-dropping cast, fast-paced action and clever storytelling.
  34. Apr 22, 2013
    Ocean's Eleven, a Vegas-based heist movie is one of the smoothest movies ever created. This movie packs a punch with a meticulously planned plot and an all-star cast featuring, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and George Clooney. Confusing at times, this movie is always up to the mark with excitement and humour and I believe it has everything a heist movie requires. This is one of the movies that noOcean's Eleven, a Vegas-based heist movie is one of the smoothest movies ever created. This movie packs a punch with a meticulously planned plot and an all-star cast featuring, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon and George Clooney. Confusing at times, this movie is always up to the mark with excitement and humour and I believe it has everything a heist movie requires. This is one of the movies that no matter how many times you watch it, you don't mind watching it again. Expand
  35. Feb 18, 2014
    Featuring A tight script, some chic imagery, cool performances, and enough twists and turns to give you one madly gratifying case of whiplash, "Ocean's Eleven" further proves Steven Soderbergh's sharp skill within the cinematic craft.
  36. Apr 14, 2013
    Entertaining but fairly bland, funny but not overly so. Extremely preposterous, even for this type of movie. The execution of the heist is quite entertaining, as is Don Cheadle's english accent.
  37. Nov 29, 2013
  38. Jul 15, 2014
    One of the greatest heist movies every made. It is smart, sharp and suprisingly very funny and heartfelt. I think that Ocean's Eleven is a must see for film lovers; it is awesome despite some of its flaws.
  39. MikeM.
    May 10, 2002
    This was a much more enjoyable picture than the original, with the exception of the final scenes. The ensemble cast works well together. Julia Roberts doesn't hurt either. I am inclined to give this a high 7 score (like 7.8 or 7.9) but that rounds up to an eight in my book.
  40. RusB.
    Jul 9, 2002
    Slick and well paced. Great cast. A crowd pleasing pop corn fest.
  41. Anna
    Mar 10, 2003
    It was amazing.
  42. DawnS.
    Jul 16, 2003
    EXCELLENT!! A very interesting movie from a different angle.
  43. Paul
    Feb 7, 2004
    I dont think ive had this much fun watching a movie since 'the sting.' great cast, unbelievably awesome movie....(food for thought: why is brad pitt always eating???)
  44. GabeT.
    May 13, 2002
    A dizzyingly fun romp. Peppy and full of understated cool.
  45. BitB.
    May 24, 2002
    Very very very very ok movie!
  46. MichaelL.
    Feb 26, 2008
    Slick and entertaining film that's packed with energetic players and wonderful direction courtesy of Steven Soderburgh. George Clooney and Brad Pitt lead a very likable and humorous crew on a what's perceived as an impossible heist from a Las Vegas casino have security which on a par with Fort Knox. The team assembled is certainly shady given their tarnished backgrounds Slick and entertaining film that's packed with energetic players and wonderful direction courtesy of Steven Soderburgh. George Clooney and Brad Pitt lead a very likable and humorous crew on a what's perceived as an impossible heist from a Las Vegas casino have security which on a par with Fort Knox. The team assembled is certainly shady given their tarnished backgrounds (accomplished via impressive flashback clips and clever montage sequences which are informative as they are entertaining) and couldn't have less in common personality-wise yet collectively gel into a well-oiled machine which convince you their mission could actually be attainable. Even with the given skeletons present in their respective pasts you still find yourself rooting for these 'bad' guys. Andy Garcia is great as the stooge and ultimate fall guy who gets a deserved comeupance and the added tension of Clooney's team attempting to pull off the caper with unexpected hurdles makes the confusion and chaos a more than welcomed plot entanglement. Great shots of Vegas throughout - especially the night sequences - and Julia Roberts is very graceful as the independent, freethinking woman caught in between two demanding men. Expand
  47. WilliamM.
    Dec 11, 2001
    Just a flat-out great time. This one is not to be missed. With this one and "Spy Game," Brad Pitt is back, baby. I finally got the "Fight Club" taste out of my mouth. Bernie Mac is classic as well.
  48. Dave
    Dec 14, 2001
    Not a deep movie, but an extremely guilt-free pleasure nevertheless. Witty in spades and acting as confident and casual as I've seen in awhile. Nothing is forced, nothing is diluted. Just a great experience.
  49. DamianP.
    Dec 18, 2001
    At last, I agree with Ryan M., though I'm not as ebulient in my praise. A simple story with an endearing cast, worth a look.
  50. AkoeD.
    Dec 7, 2001
    A wonderfully made movie in every manner. Brad and George are charming and great!
  51. Patrick
    May 14, 2002
    This was the funnest movie I've seen in a very long time. I am usually a tough critic and I was expecting nothing much from this film because of all the moderate reviews I heard surrounding it. I do think that anyone looking for an up beat and exciting flick should check this one out. Compared to recent films, this is one is one of the best!
  52. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    They could have just called it Star Power (Squared), and, surprisingly, that's a good thing. All the "it" guys are showin off, but Julia just kind of stands there, still reveling in her Oscar glory. I don't think you really need as much money as they intend to steal, but that's the whole damn point, it seems. It's all about the stars.
  53. Riren
    Apr 15, 2007
    If you can only make one-dimensional characters, make this kind of movie. Ocean's Eleven is simple throughout but twists all that simplicity into complexity; it's shallow but broad, and especially cool. The whole production is slick and moves in ways that other directors should envy. The gratuitously star-studded cast helps add further spectacle atop a movie where the plot the If you can only make one-dimensional characters, make this kind of movie. Ocean's Eleven is simple throughout but twists all that simplicity into complexity; it's shallow but broad, and especially cool. The whole production is slick and moves in ways that other directors should envy. The gratuitously star-studded cast helps add further spectacle atop a movie where the plot the characters hatch is far more entertaining than the plot the movie does. Ocean's Eleven is another of those fun movies that are more entertaining with every additional friend you watch it with. Expand
  54. RickyQ
    Aug 15, 2007
    Very cool, very funny, and most importantly very entertaining. The perfect film!
  55. DarrenM.
    Mar 29, 2008
    I actually give it a 9.1. The screenplay and dialogue is written so cleverly, and the actors deliver in a spectacular performance. This movie redefines the word cool, as big name actors pull off the slickest heist ever to hit the screen. The music is also the most inspiring and fitting music I've heard, sticking to that same cool vibe. Even if it is a far departure of the original I actually give it a 9.1. The screenplay and dialogue is written so cleverly, and the actors deliver in a spectacular performance. This movie redefines the word cool, as big name actors pull off the slickest heist ever to hit the screen. The music is also the most inspiring and fitting music I've heard, sticking to that same cool vibe. Even if it is a far departure of the original film, it still is a great, fun flick to spend 2 hours watching. Expand
  56. AlY.
    Dec 31, 2001
    Suspend all disbelief and be entertained. Slick action that's soothing on the nerves.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Doesn't offer much.
    The most purely entertaining movie to come out of Hollywood so far this year, and if that doesn't seem worthy of Soderbergh's talents, it's worthy enough for a night's amusement.
  3. In her byplay with Clooney, Roberts only occasionally strikes a spark. Clooney, on the other hand, generates heat.