7.5

1. Jan 8, 2011
    This is true art. It is life. No unnecessary story needed, just beautiful images of our planet's seas and the creatures that inhabit them. Oceans provides some of the most stunning and breathtaking scenes that you will ever witness. This in-depth journey into an undersea world introduces us to many of the most odd creatures in our oceans. Most of them, I assure you that you did not even know existed. And it is a wonderful discovery to learn about them and watch them in their national habitats, completely unaffected by outside influence.

Each picture seems to be more visually spectacular than the next and the film weaves its way between creatures we know and love to those that we could only have possibly dreamed of. It is full of tenderness, love, and the reality of the circle of life. Quite simply, Oceans is a gorgeous documentary of discovery that should excite any viewer, young or old. If there is a complaint to be had, it is that the narration sometimes distracts. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the voice work of Morgan Freeman in other series of this type. But for me, it somehow didn't quite work. There are not enough adjectives to accurately describe the awe Oceans brings a viewer. This is high-quality film-making at its best. For any fan of Discovery's nature series or other films of this type, this is a must-see. Great for the whole family.
  2. Jul 19, 2011
    A very fine documentary that features many of the creatures we are well accustomed to, but existing in different situations and behaviors. Additionally, there are some life forms that I've never seen before as well, and a couple scenes in particular that are quite simply stunning......the beauty of nature exhibited in this footage can soften the hardest of hearts. Highly recommended for 83 relaxing minutes of your time. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Deborah Young
    What "Winged Migration" did for birds, Oceans does for all sorts of strange sea creatures in an ambitious, impressively filmed documentary.
  2. Reviewed by: Jay Weissberg
    Though there's a formlessness to it all, the wow factor will thrill the "Earth" crowd, making Oceans a surefire bet for families and nature lovers.
  3. Reviewed by: Michelle Orange
    Océans is a jaw-dropper as a visual travelogue--even its anthropomorphic indulgences (an ocean floor is turned into a rough neighborhood, complete with trespassers and shy weirdos) are winning.