Odd Thomas

8.1

1. Mar 2, 2014
    It was faithful enough to the book to keep me hooked for the entirety of the movie. In the book Odd acts as a narrator, which was good, but in the movie it could have done without it, instead just showing the story. Other than that, though, I have no complaints. They even got the ending right. It may not be for everyone, but it is in this writer's opinion that it was a good flick.
  2. Mar 27, 2014
    Odd Thomas is a very well produced, quirky little number from the Director of the Mummy. It basically plays out like a warped episode of Buffy the Vampire slayer in terms of it's tone and direction and the movie is narrated throughout by the main star. The dialogue is very witty, the story is unique and engaging and there are some genuinely creepy moments. This film will probably become aOdd Thomas is a very well produced, quirky little number from the Director of the Mummy. It basically plays out like a warped episode of Buffy the Vampire slayer in terms of it's tone and direction and the movie is narrated throughout by the main star. The dialogue is very witty, the story is unique and engaging and there are some genuinely creepy moments. This film will probably become a cult classic. It has all the makings of one. Expand
  3. Apr 6, 2014
    One of the movies I expected nothing from, at first. Then you realize it´s an easy going movie, than keeps your attention, with really nice characters. The end, I must say, wasn´t expected, by that time I thought everything was gonna turn out fine for everyone, but the twist was terrible.
  4. Mar 23, 2014
    This is a pretty faithful adaptation of the Dean Koontz book. For some reason, this film faced an uphill battle seemingly from the start. At one time it was indefinitely delayed due to investors retracting promised support. That uphill battle is likely to continue now that it has finally been released as critics try to combat positive viewer response with all sorts of negative analysis.This is a pretty faithful adaptation of the Dean Koontz book. For some reason, this film faced an uphill battle seemingly from the start. At one time it was indefinitely delayed due to investors retracting promised support. That uphill battle is likely to continue now that it has finally been released as critics try to combat positive viewer response with all sorts of negative analysis. This is very enjoyable to those who have read the source material as well as viewers who have not. I have rented it and will be buying it on DVD as soon as I find it in stores. Expand
  5. Apr 30, 2014
    Odd Thomas – which never saw a public US release and is presently available on Netflix – plays like the pilot of a prime time TV show. There is nothing offensive presented, some of the more violent action occurs offscreen or via obstructed views, there is a little gallows humor, it occasionally dips its visual toes into ever-so-slightly mature waters (a little gore, Timlin in herOdd Thomas – which never saw a public US release and is presently available on Netflix – plays like the pilot of a prime time TV show. There is nothing offensive presented, some of the more violent action occurs offscreen or via obstructed views, there is a little gallows humor, it occasionally dips its visual toes into ever-so-slightly mature waters (a little gore, Timlin in her underwear, etc.), its characters and locations are memorable and intriguing enough to consider a return trip, and the epilogue leaves the door wide open for future installments. I wish it had been a TV pilot because it is far better suited to that media.

I don’t know that any future installments will ever happen (regardless of screen size), but if they don’t, this installment is just enough quirky fun while it lasts.
  6. Mar 30, 2014
    Having read all the odd series, I, AND MY FAMILY, EVEN THE ONES THAT HAVE NOT READ THEM, LOVED THE MOVIE. WE MISSED THIS IN THE THEATERS, BUT WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HAVE SEEN IT THERE. WE ALL ARE HOPING FOR SEQUALS. PERSONALLY I WOULD CHANGE NOTHING IN THIS FILM. IT REALLY CLOSELY FOLLOWED MOST OF THE BOOK. I KNOW I WILL BUY THE DVDS FOR ALL SEQUALS, IF AVAILABLE.
  7. Apr 28, 2014
    its not a ten but pretty darn fun. needs to be more broad in scope which is what the sequel seems to be hinting at. the girl is a great actress. dialogue is well written, a bit too smooth.i hope there is a sequel
  8. Nov 5, 2014
    This is a very fun movie and very enjoyable. I've never read the books before but it made me want to go out and start the series. Although I'd love to see sequels made, and for them to be released in theaters, I personally don't see it happening. The story is pretty single-minded and the fact that William Dafoe is in the movie was wasted on the fact that his character is the veryThis is a very fun movie and very enjoyable. I've never read the books before but it made me want to go out and start the series. Although I'd love to see sequels made, and for them to be released in theaters, I personally don't see it happening. The story is pretty single-minded and the fact that William Dafoe is in the movie was wasted on the fact that his character is the very definition of a "side-character". He's the only star power that exists in this movie and he was not used very well. Honestly, his presence could have been cut out the movie entirely if not for one major scene toward the end. The movie also suffers from a tone shift that occurs about 7-8 times in the movie. It goes from light-hearted to intense back to light-hearted, and so on. It changes so much you get the feeling that the writers were trying to keep you on your toes but it does nothing but confuse what was happening for me.
    However, I do love this movie and the actor's playing the lead characters are wonderful. Anton Yelchin does a great job as Odd and roles with the punches as everything comes. He also does a great job at conveying emotions and you don't see that too much with too many actors. I loved the interactions he had with his girlfriend Stormy were great. I thought the movie had alot of heart and I was able to get pretty emotionally invested in these characters.
    While the story isn't that powerful and the tone shifts will spin your head, this is a very well done movie, especially for one not deemed worthy of a U.S. release in theaters. You'll enjoy your time with this movie and that's not something you can say with alot of movies today.
  9. Nov 10, 2014
    Based on the novel by award winning writer, Dean Koontz, comes the wildly successful Odd Thomas. This story was so popular, that it's become an entire series, one that Koontz has worked on almost exclusively since it's release. This unique story focuses on a unique man, with a unique name. Odd (Anton Yelchin) is a short order cook in a small California town, where he lives a relativelyBased on the novel by award winning writer, Dean Koontz, comes the wildly successful Odd Thomas. This story was so popular, that it's become an entire series, one that Koontz has worked on almost exclusively since it's release. This unique story focuses on a unique man, with a unique name. Odd (Anton Yelchin) is a short order cook in a small California town, where he lives a relatively normal life with his girlfriend, Stormy. Odd is no different than any other twenty-something in town, except for the fact that he sees the dead, specifically people who died prematurely and under suspicious circumstances. They can't talk to him, but the spirits lead Odd to the evidence he needs to find the truth. When a strange man comes to town, the spirits lead Odd to be suspicious, and with good cause. Anton Yelchin stars and once again shows off his loveable charisma. There is something about him that makes Yelchin the guy that everyone wants to be friends with, an ability that comes across in every character he plays. Odd is no different, as he is this complete weirdo, but with an innocent quality, that just makes people want to like him. Here he's more than just a lovable goofball, but he's also an unofficial detective and hero, that people turn to in there time of need. Everyone knows he's weird, but few know his secret, one of those being the Chief of Police, played by the legendary Willem Dafoe. Dafoe usually portrays the bad guy, and it was interesting to see him take on a different challenge. Odd Thomas is smart and extremely well written, with a terrific cast, that really brings the story alive with their own unique style. The story may seem like it's a little out there, but it's not just science fiction, it's a story that crosses many genres and has something for everyone, an easy choice for our list of must see movies! Expand
  10. May 19, 2014
    Best movie I've seen in a very very long time! I'm really not a fan of suspense, but this movie was a lot of fun! The graphics were fantastic and the story was (in my opinion) better than the book. Some of the acting could have been a bit better, but most of the characters were actually WRITTEN to be a bit awkward, so most of it is actually very GOOD acting even though a few things seemBest movie I've seen in a very very long time! I'm really not a fan of suspense, but this movie was a lot of fun! The graphics were fantastic and the story was (in my opinion) better than the book. Some of the acting could have been a bit better, but most of the characters were actually WRITTEN to be a bit awkward, so most of it is actually very GOOD acting even though a few things seem a bit off. Excellent movie! Lots of fun. For those PG parents, there is a small bit of gore and tiny bit of sensuality. Expand
  11. Sep 2, 2014
    An almost solid movie horribly tainted by godawful effects. If the effects were at least just alright I could have given it a 7 because of the solid script and cast but, I can't do that. If they do a sequel I hope they improve upon these effects.
  12. Jun 10, 2015
    Odd Thomas was a good movie. Great actors, nice story line, interesting ending. I really-really hope to see continuation. I hope to see ether a movie or a show with the same story line, and actors.

1. Reviewed by: Drew Taylor
    Mar 2, 2014
    Odd Thomas is a much better film than it's non-release would suggest. Hopefully one day it'll find it's audience and people will appreciate it for something other than just being better than "Phantoms."
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Feb 28, 2014
    Odd Thomas becomes a film that's going through the motions with too little character, style, or atmosphere to keep it engaging.
  3. Reviewed by: Bruce Ingram
    Feb 28, 2014
    Yelchin is agreeably offbeat and convincingly two-fisted in the role, and Sommers, who’s always had a knack for fast-paced action with a light, comic touch, provides a few entertaining scenes here and there. Unfortunately, the horrific stuff in Odd Thomas seems gorily incompatible with the film’s otherwise breezy screenplay.