8.3

1. Mar 2, 2014
    It was faithful enough to the book to keep me hooked for the entirety of the movie. In the book Odd acts as a narrator, which was good, but in the movie it could have done without it, instead just showing the story. Other than that, though, I have no complaints. They even got the ending right. It may not be for everyone, but it is in this writer's opinion that it was a good flick.
  2. Mar 27, 2014
    Odd Thomas is a very well produced, quirky little number from the Director of the Mummy. It basically plays out like a warped episode of Buffy the Vampire slayer in terms of it's tone and direction and the movie is narrated throughout by the main star. The dialogue is very witty, the story is unique and engaging and there are some genuinely creepy moments. This film will probably become a cult classic. It has all the makings of one. Expand
  3. Apr 6, 2014
    One of the movies I expected nothing from, at first. Then you realize it´s an easy going movie, than keeps your attention, with really nice characters. The end, I must say, wasn´t expected, by that time I thought everything was gonna turn out fine for everyone, but the twist was terrible.
  4. Mar 23, 2014
    This is a pretty faithful adaptation of the Dean Koontz book. For some reason, this film faced an uphill battle seemingly from the start. At one time it was indefinitely delayed due to investors retracting promised support. That uphill battle is likely to continue now that it has finally been released as critics try to combat positive viewer response with all sorts of negative analysis. This is very enjoyable to those who have read the source material as well as viewers who have not. I have rented it and will be buying it on DVD as soon as I find it in stores. Expand
  5. Mar 30, 2014
    Having read all the odd series, I, AND MY FAMILY, EVEN THE ONES THAT HAVE NOT READ THEM, LOVED THE MOVIE. WE MISSED THIS IN THE THEATERS, BUT WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HAVE SEEN IT THERE. WE ALL ARE HOPING FOR SEQUALS. PERSONALLY I WOULD CHANGE NOTHING IN THIS FILM. IT REALLY CLOSELY FOLLOWED MOST OF THE BOOK. I KNOW I WILL BUY THE DVDS FOR ALL SEQUALS, IF AVAILABLE.
  6. Apr 30, 2014
    Odd Thomas – which never saw a public US release and is presently available on Netflix – plays like the pilot of a prime time TV show. There is nothing offensive presented, some of the more violent action occurs offscreen or via obstructed views, there is a little gallows humor, it occasionally dips its visual toes into ever-so-slightly mature waters (a little gore, Timlin in her underwear, etc.), its characters and locations are memorable and intriguing enough to consider a return trip, and the epilogue leaves the door wide open for future installments. I wish it had been a TV pilot because it is far better suited to that media.

I don’t know that any future installments will ever happen (regardless of screen size), but if they don’t, this installment is just enough quirky fun while it lasts.
  7. Apr 28, 2014
    its not a ten but pretty darn fun. needs to be more broad in scope which is what the sequel seems to be hinting at. the girl is a great actress. dialogue is well written, a bit too smooth.i hope there is a sequel
  8. May 19, 2014
    Best movie I've seen in a very very long time! I'm really not a fan of suspense, but this movie was a lot of fun! The graphics were fantastic and the story was (in my opinion) better than the book. Some of the acting could have been a bit better, but most of the characters were actually WRITTEN to be a bit awkward, so most of it is actually very GOOD acting even though a few things seem a bit off. Excellent movie! Lots of fun. For those PG parents, there is a small bit of gore and tiny bit of sensuality. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Drew Taylor
    Mar 2, 2014
    Odd Thomas is a much better film than it's non-release would suggest. Hopefully one day it'll find it's audience and people will appreciate it for something other than just being better than "Phantoms."
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Feb 28, 2014
    Odd Thomas becomes a film that's going through the motions with too little character, style, or atmosphere to keep it engaging.
  3. Reviewed by: Bruce Ingram
    Feb 28, 2014
    Yelchin is agreeably offbeat and convincingly two-fisted in the role, and Sommers, who’s always had a knack for fast-paced action with a light, comic touch, provides a few entertaining scenes here and there. Unfortunately, the horrific stuff in Odd Thomas seems gorily incompatible with the film’s otherwise breezy screenplay.