8.9

1. LuciaH.
    Apr 7, 2005
    Really nice made. Great encouter with nature. Avoiding part of nudity would have been better. I would like my daugter to watch it. Really great movie.
  2. spencert.
    Mar 13, 2005
    A sleeper hit! A must see. Loved it.
  3. TonyT.
    Apr 26, 2005
    Best movie I've seen this year.
  4. ChadS.
    May 20, 2005
    Whenever I think of home-schooled children, my mind inevitably leads back to ESPN's coverage of the 1997 Scripps-Howard Spelling Bee, and its champion Rebecca Sealfon." "Euonym. E! U! O! N! Y! M! EUONYM!" Bo (Valentina de Angelis) is the sort of neurotic, but extremely bright and percocious girl, I imagine the inspiration behind Myla Goldberg's "Bee Season", and an episode of Whenever I think of home-schooled children, my mind inevitably leads back to ESPN's coverage of the 1997 Scripps-Howard Spelling Bee, and its champion Rebecca Sealfon." "Euonym. E! U! O! N! Y! M! EUONYM!" Bo (Valentina de Angelis) is the sort of neurotic, but extremely bright and percocious girl, I imagine the inspiration behind Myla Goldberg's "Bee Season", and an episode of "South Park" might be like at home. The success of "Off the Map" falls upon de Angelis' ability to be neurotic without annoying us, and she plays her scenes beautifully opposite Joan Allen and Frozen Caveman, I mean, Sam Elliott. As for the IRS man, I think he's the "Taxman" from "Rubber Soul". Written by George Harrison, J.K. Simmons, so happens to be playing a character named George. "Eleanor Rigby" follows the Harrison track, and the lyric "all the lonely people where do they all come from," really fits William Gibbs (Jim True-Frost). This is a ridiculous analysis, but an IRS agent that can paint is a ridiculous notion to begin with. Expand
  5. JohnB.
    Apr 28, 2005
    Amazing performances.
  6. LindaD.
    Aug 11, 2005
    I wanted to like this movie more than I did. The scenery was beautiful, but several times the filming of it got in the way of the story. I've always liked Sam Elliott, but his performance here didn't move me at all. I would have preferred to see a different actress playing Bo. I could never move from being an observer to being 'in' the movie. A fine try, a good story, I wanted to like this movie more than I did. The scenery was beautiful, but several times the filming of it got in the way of the story. I've always liked Sam Elliott, but his performance here didn't move me at all. I would have preferred to see a different actress playing Bo. I could never move from being an observer to being 'in' the movie. A fine try, a good story, but overall, disappointing. Expand
  7. MarcD.
    Mar 13, 2005
    It's not a bad film by any stretch, but it just takes a LONG time to get going. Depression casts a palor over the whole thing, but the subject of depression isn't really explored well enough. Why is the dad so depressed? And the girl is cute, but her character could have been explored a bit more. The I.R.S. guy's character was the most interesting, and what becomes of him It's not a bad film by any stretch, but it just takes a LONG time to get going. Depression casts a palor over the whole thing, but the subject of depression isn't really explored well enough. Why is the dad so depressed? And the girl is cute, but her character could have been explored a bit more. The I.R.S. guy's character was the most interesting, and what becomes of him definitely works and ties up the film well. Joan Allen is great. She should be on a T.V. series in a role like this one. Collapse
  8. thomasp.
    Mar 14, 2005
    With all of the studio backed films being made these days, this film is a true breath of fresh air. Newcomer Valentina de Angelis certainly adds life to this beautiful story and carries her own opposite some of the most respected veterans in the business. A must see!!
  9. TraceyL.
    Mar 15, 2005
    Joan Allen was luminous! Sam Elliot so out of character, finally! I loved the story. I loved the setting. Campbell Scott did a superb directorial job with this one.
  10. KenG
    Mar 31, 2005
    The story runs into enough ill-advised and hokey potholes along the way to keep this from being a special movie, but overall this was very well acted, and senstively handled.
  11. williamc.
    Apr 29, 2005
    Just hope sam continues his acting career for a long time to come.
  12. AnitaW.
    May 9, 2005
    I thought this movie was wonderful and the acting was superb. It's something that should really be experienced rather then explained. Since I've seen it, it's been on my mind every day and I wish I could see it again. Being new to the world of independent movies I don't know if it will available for purchase. If not I will be truly disappointed.
  13. DanB.
    Sep 9, 2005
    Really enjoyed the characters. A lot like Station Agent in that way.
  14. CharlesM.
    Nov 10, 2005
    A little slow paced but a terrific cast and great scenery make this a treat. Joan Allen is as usual, superb as is Valentina de Angelis. Well done.
  15. KeithW.
    Mar 12, 2005
    I walked out speechless. I may not see a film like this ever again.
  16. BrendaR.
    Mar 14, 2005
    I enjoyed this film. It was multi-dimensional and funnier than I expected it to be. The acting was as beautiful as the landscape. Valentina de Angelis as young Bo was terrific and kept the film together.
  17. LarryG.
    May 17, 2005
    I was ready to dismiss this as a "flower-child redux" retrospective of some sort, and was prepared to walk out. I'm glad I didn't. Some of the characters are improbable (take the IRS agent, please), but this gouache of a movie actually "works". Quel surprise!!

1. Reviewed by: Patrick Z. McGavin
    The plot is minimal, but the film is essentially an acting showcase. Allen is excellent.
  2. Reviewed by: Don R. Lewis
    Any minor flaws Off the Map has are easily forgiven by great acting and beautifully shot landscapes. Campbell Scott does a great job of adapting a stage play (by screenwriter Joan Ackerman) to film as well.
    Off The Map feels peculiar and remote, strangled by an air of arty disengagement. The most vivid characters are the earth and the sky, and they both give stellar performances.