Offside

8.1

1. Troubadorjim
    Oct 1, 2007
    Sure, it wasn't action packed, and the dialog wasn't anything to get excited about , but it definitely hit an emotional chord and made me feel the oppression of Persian women. Offside was a kind of sneak peak into Iran's regime, introducing you to the country's friendly people who, at the end of the day, just want to watch some soccer. I especailly like how Panahi Sure, it wasn't action packed, and the dialog wasn't anything to get excited about , but it definitely hit an emotional chord and made me feel the oppression of Persian women. Offside was a kind of sneak peak into Iran's regime, introducing you to the country's friendly people who, at the end of the day, just want to watch some soccer. I especailly like how Panahi portrayed the male soccer fans as simpathetic to the oppressed females, helping them every chance they got. Not a perfect 10 in my eyes, but definitely worth your time if you're a footie fan or just interested in foreign cinema. Collapse
  2. PaulD.
    Oct 10, 2007
    I was amazed at how such a simple story could be so absorbing, entertaining and humorous. Excellent look at the interplay between the stringent Iranian laws regarding women and human factors, including the personalities of the police and the young women.
  3. AndresZ.
    Apr 24, 2007
    An easy stand-out at this past year's New York Film Festival, Jafar Panahi's Offside is simple yet tough, a film who
  4. SeanC.
    Jun 11, 2007
    Iranian Islamic regime and other world
  5. BK
    Jul 31, 2007
    This movie was boring as hell. I've been to Iran many times and I still didn't enjoy it very much even though I managed to watch the whole thing. I got absolutely nothing out of it which is a shame cause I was sort of interested in the topic. Slow, plodding scenes, and ultimately uneventful plot makes NOT recommend this movie at all.
  6. Jan 12, 2012
    Easy storyline to follow, that highlights lives of women affected by Iranian law. This is conveyed with smart and diverse characters from different backgrounds which makes for an amazing film. Oppression shows the difficulties of Iranian women to the western world, however humour and mutual interest make it worth watching.

1. Women's roles and the eternal fight to expand their rights in Iranian society get a light, hugely entertaining treatment in Jafar Panahi's Offsides.
  2. Reviewed by: Deborah Young
    In his most accessible and spontaneous picture, ranking Iranian helmer Jafar Panahi reveals unsuspected comic gifts barely visible in his dramatic festival winners "The White Balloon," "The Circle" and "Crimson Gold."
    Offside is blatantly metaphoric and powerfully concrete, deceptively simple and highly sophisticated in its formal intelligence.