FilmDistrict | Release Date: November 27, 2013
4.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 142 Ratings
Watch Now
TVJerryDec 12, 2013
Josh Brolin plays an arrogant, drunken ad exec who gets locked in a room for twenty years…yes, years. When he's finally released, he must identify his captor before he can seek revenge and be reunited with his daughter. After his one-roomJosh Brolin plays an arrogant, drunken ad exec who gets locked in a room for twenty years…yes, years. When he's finally released, he must identify his captor before he can seek revenge and be reunited with his daughter. After his one-room ordeal, you expect extreme retribution and there is some: a few brief, well-staged and violent encounters. When he turns to the mystery of his captor, things become more and more convoluted: the villain's omnipresence, those unlikely coincidences and ultimately, the surprise ending. Director Spike Lee has crafted some of this film to be involving and robust, but ultimately it loses momentum and proves a disappointment. Expand
drderuApr 4, 2014
OLDBOY REMAKE FLOPPED BECAUSE IT’S A REMAKE THAT SHOULDN’T HAVE HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE

Weren’t we all a bit skeptical after learning that the infamous Spike Lee is directing the international cult classic Oldboy? And am I glad I didn’t get the chance to witness the embarassing Hollywood remake of it in the theaters. Everything about this Hollywood remake is borderline reductive. From the miscast leadstar Josh Brolin who struggled to portray any type of emotion and is almost too geriatric to play the exuberance that the character demands, to the many remarkable and almost blasphemous omitted scenes from the original. Not even the ever likable Elizabeth Olsen is able to redeem this remake that is comparatively pedestrian to the Korean classic. Hollywood seems to be running out of good material for an action movie that they have succumbed to bring ruins to foreign action films (a remake for The Raid is next). But to give credit to where it’s due, the Oldboy remake is a far cry from the creativity-deprived, badly written action films that Hollywood’s been producing lately. Thus we can say that the Asian film industry is really capable in making kick ass films that not even the big wigs state side are able to
AmongstYouFeb 25, 2014
I gained absolutely nothing from watching this. I completely wasting my time. I hoped it would do something interesting and new with the premise, but instead it treads the same ground, and somehow it manages to not do that properly.
Watch
Watch the original. It did it better than this.
ThegodfathersonNov 27, 2013
Ultimately, Oldboy isn’t an entirely worthless film; it is an unnecessary one. Brolin, Jackson, and Olsen’s portrayals are compelling and more than worthy. Unfortunately, Copley, who is often a standout, feels like he’s delivering performanceUltimately, Oldboy isn’t an entirely worthless film; it is an unnecessary one. Brolin, Jackson, and Olsen’s portrayals are compelling and more than worthy. Unfortunately, Copley, who is often a standout, feels like he’s delivering performance art here, rather than a performance. There are some haunting visual motifs and the plot twists are as depraved as one would imagine and may desire. Overall, the changes that are made detract from, rather than enhance the story. The end is where the film truly falls apart, though. The small and large shifts rob the tale of its nuance. Park Chan-wook’s complex meditation on violence, responsibility, revenge, and poetic justice is bastardized and morphed into a cartoonish and contrived version. There is very little in this new Oldboy that the original didn’t do better. You’re best off to save your money at the theater and rewatch or discover Chan-wook’s far more intricately woven and harrowing saga. Expand
Nesbitt10Nov 28, 2013
Simply put, some movies should never be remade. "Oldboy" serves as a stark reminder with only a few exceptions: Americanized remakes of beloved and admired foreign films inevitably result in disappointment. For viewers unfamiliar with theSimply put, some movies should never be remade. "Oldboy" serves as a stark reminder with only a few exceptions: Americanized remakes of beloved and admired foreign films inevitably result in disappointment. For viewers unfamiliar with the history behind Spike Lee's "Oldboy," the 2013 film is a remake of the cult-classic 2003 South Korean film of the same name, directed by Chan-wook Park. The Korean masterpiece possess a highly stylized, gritty sensibility while providing an emotional depth to its characters. Iconic director Spike Lee's "Oldboy" is as a handsomely shot piece of genre entertainment, but it fails in its attempt to define itself, resulting into a completely pointless, watered-down underwhelming thriller.

An alcoholic whose life is falling apart, Joe (Josh Brolin) is far from the ideal father who is willfully neglecting his three-year-old daughter, Mia. Drugged and kidnapped one night, Joe awakens in a small room with a television, only to learn that he's been framed for the murder of his ex-wife, and will spend the next 20 years trapped in this cell where he is held as a prisoner. During the duration of his imprisonment, he trains his mind and body for escape attempts while pouring his heart out to Mia in letters. After two decades of torment, Joe is suddenly set free, seeking out an old friend Chucky (Michael Imperioli), and meeting Marie (Elizabeth Olsen), an advocate for the homeless who helps him in his cause. Hunting for the individual who locked him away, Joe spares no one as he works his way to Adrian (Sharlto Copley), a deranged man masterminding the mystery Joe and Marie are now determined to solve.

Director Spike Lee, working from a screenplay by Mark Protosevich "I Am Legend" (2007), chooses to simply rehash the plot for his American remake, and quickly rushes through the unusual and unique storyline unable to establish an emotional connection with the audience which the original film develops so well. Lee's picture clocks in at a lean 104 minutes, 16 minutes shorter than Park's "Oldboy." As a result, the storytelling is rather straightforward, and it forces Lee to rush through crucial sequences which are not given the adequate time to develop. Subtly goes by the waste side, and almost abandoned completely early into the third act in favor of expeditious explanations.

The remake remains largely faithful to the story of the 2003 effort, but seriously lacks in intensity and a sense of meaning. The original film achieves a sublime blending of ultra-violence with extreme art, while the remake feels bogged down in its copycat status, and its overall lighter tone hampers its enigmatic, disconcerting story of revenge. My advice is to avoid this altogether, pull up the original on Netflix, and deal with the subtitles America.
megteeNov 27, 2013
Perhaps the worst two hours I've ever spent. I learned absolutely nothing new about life, except that violent sexist patriarchal rape culture cliches still dominate mainstream cinema, and Spike Lee is more than happy to join the bandwagonPerhaps the worst two hours I've ever spent. I learned absolutely nothing new about life, except that violent sexist patriarchal rape culture cliches still dominate mainstream cinema, and Spike Lee is more than happy to join the bandwagon and resort to them. Yawn. I got all hopeful for a Spike Lee social/psychological/metaphorical commentary/tie-in when the historical footage appeared, only to be disappointed when it merely served to pass the time inside the hotel cell. I left grossed out, hollow, and feeling like a sucker. For a crowd-funded film, this sure was a lot of tired re-hashed violence with no redeeming message. From a fan of the Korean 2003 original don't bother. Just watch Do The Right Thing again. This is a Spike Lee Dis-Joint. Expand
UncleEarlDec 1, 2013
I came into the movie with open arms and i tried to embrace it but it just fell flat. Yes, I am comparing it to the original. Is that unfair? No, every remake has the opportunity to learn from its predecessor and fix mistakes but Lee's OldboyI came into the movie with open arms and i tried to embrace it but it just fell flat. Yes, I am comparing it to the original. Is that unfair? No, every remake has the opportunity to learn from its predecessor and fix mistakes but Lee's Oldboy doesn't do that. There are a few enjoyable sequences in the beginning but after Brolin goes to meet with the antagonist, the movie is almost worthless to continue watching. It doesn't match the pacing, suspense, or acting from '03. It's so poorly directed that I laughed at inappropriate moments. And there's this soap opera behind-the-shoulder zoom-out around the finale that feels like a megaton bomb of garbage thrown in for good measure; to assure that no one would walk away satisfied from the theater. There's no contest between this and the original. In it's own right, I give the movie a 5. 5 for the first half of the movie and 0 for the other half. On a side note, Josh Brolin was not the right choice for this project. He can't match the dynamic emotional acting that we saw Choi give in 2003. That was so critical to the sympathy the main character is supposed to draw. Expand
wetwebworkFeb 14, 2014
Was reluctant to watch, ready to hate, but gotta say Spike Lee won me over. Too easy to be precious about something considered original when everything is just a remake anyway.
HypnoticGuyNov 30, 2013
I have to think that Spike Lee didn't even watch the original version before making his version. I also doubt that the person who approved the script could have seen the original version.

The childhood tragedy was the father's fault, not

The childhood tragedy was the father's fault, not Joe's and thus there is a lack of justification for the future vengeance.

Additionally, the ending was removed compared to the original, since there was no brainwashing or hypnosis in this new version.

The story line of the new version is just so weak it's not worth seeing.
BrosmanNov 27, 2013
Any movie that gives away that there is a twist in the movie in the trailer is stupid. This is a typical remake that misses the point and charm of the original. Please just go watch the original and skip this garbage. The Original is amazing.
Christian0205Apr 6, 2014
It was more curious that other thing what made me watch it. It was interesting given the necessary changes that had to be made for occidental audience, that is accepted in oriental movies. Good remake, but it won´t be never as good as the original.
Adam_KellyMay 25, 2014
I haven't seen the Japanese original, so my review is unbiased.

I haven't seen the Japanese original, so my review is unbiased.

I found the movie intriguing from beginning to end, you never quite know which direction it's going. I enjoyed it visually, it's a visually stunning movie, the violence was brutal.

Josh Brolin gave the best performance of his career.

The surprise ending is what you will want to watch it for, regardless of anything else, it's a brilliant plot cleverly disguised and fun ride while it lasts.

Watching it a second time, you might notice it's short comings but don't blame the director (like so many reviewers have) from what I've read Spike Jonze & Josh Brolin were ultimately disappointed with what was released, apparently the production company virtually cut the film in half, I only hope there's a directors cut some day
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
was hoping this was going to be a good remake but i was completely wrong everything about this movie is pure crap. Spike Lee has made some decent film in his time so i was hoping that he wouldnt mess this film up. I already knew it wasntwas hoping this was going to be a good remake but i was completely wrong everything about this movie is pure crap. Spike Lee has made some decent film in his time so i was hoping that he wouldnt mess this film up. I already knew it wasnt going to be anything like the original as in most cases with remakes but this is a slap to the face to the original. The cast is one of the things that really made me want to watch it with Josh Brolin, Samuel L. Jackson, Sharlto Copley, Elizabeth Olsen but in this i find Brolin's character a joke and dont care for as with the original i feel sympathy for the rest are just "meh" so you dont even care for them as well. I guess the fact that i was expecting more from this movie makes me dislike it even more. In the end this is just another average remake with nothing to see and i would recommend watching the original and never watching this movie unless want a good laugh.

Overall i give it a 4.0
JC86Dec 5, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this film. I thought the cast was great (although I have a few questions) and that it had it's own feel despite being a remake. I will say though this is Sharlto Copley's worst performance. I don't know how much that is Spike Lee's fault, but he just wasn't a very believable villain I mean c'mon Spike did you see Elysium!? Josh Brolin was awesome and Liz Olsen not only looked great but played a very important role. I think the trailer and some other things ruined the whole twist/point of the film but for the new fans in the audience it was well received. However, it does get a little campy and Sam Jackson's character looks a little ridiculous. I will say it's not for everyone and there has been a ton of great films this year but Oldboy holds up somewhere in the middle of the pack. Expand
ConjureAug 18, 2014
From the get go this movie was a dud - there were no characters you would like, the main character was a jerk who deserved no sympathy, too much gratuitous violence and bad acting, particularly Samuel Jackson.

I stopped watching the movie

I stopped watching the movie with 45 min left. I could not care what happened. Do not waste your time.
robertodasilvaMar 14, 2014
Terrible movie, completely detracts from the original manga and has lots of gaps. Just because Samuel L. Jackson appears give it a 3. And do not misunderstand me, not for being a remake is bad, is that they changed the whole plot and nothingTerrible movie, completely detracts from the original manga and has lots of gaps. Just because Samuel L. Jackson appears give it a 3. And do not misunderstand me, not for being a remake is bad, is that they changed the whole plot and nothing makes sense.

I still believe that this movie was made just for that 5 year olds understand. Not everything has to be explained, we must appeal to deductive capacity Mr. Lee.
Canadian365Sep 9, 2014
Awesome Spike Lee movie, with a wild twist at the end! Too bad it came out when other bigger movies were released, which resulted in low box office sales. Glad I found this one, favorite movie in long time!
cwilder06Dec 2, 2013
A few others have said this already but be wary of both the critical and user reviews they seem to largely be commenting on this movie in relation to the original. And I'll put it out there and say, without question, the original is better.A few others have said this already but be wary of both the critical and user reviews they seem to largely be commenting on this movie in relation to the original. And I'll put it out there and say, without question, the original is better. If you haven't seen it, you should.

If you haven't seen it and just hate subtitles (which is a shame, but I understand there are people out there that feel that way) this is absolutely a worthwhile film. It is dark, unpleasant and at times shocking. As noted elsewhere, some of the artistry and complexity of the original is lost here. But, what remains is a much more adventurous and disturbing film than you will find just about anywhere in Hollywood produced cinema these days (certainly I can't recall anything this dark getting a wide release). If you like your movies shocking, upsetting, violent, gritty and generally just extreme you can do a lot worse than giving this a watch.

For those that have seen the original but are curious about the remake, so long as you go in knowing it's in no way going to beat the predecessor it's passable. I realize people are divided on Sharlto's character I thought it worked, but agree it was not nearly as well done as it could have been. The first and third act have some significant changes mostly for the worse, I feel, but I credit Spike Lee for actually trying. And I should note they aren't changes to neuter the extreme nature of the film quite the opposite actually, I feel they just didn't work. In particular, there was a great line in the original, 'Smile and the whole world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone' (or something to that effect) which is haunting within the context of the film but is never used here. Despite it being a small thematic element I found it one of the most profound and the film suffers greatly for not introducing it. All that being said, I still prefer this over the shot-for-shot remake of 'Carrie' where the director tried nothing new and presented us with basically just a carbon copy of the prior film.
JohnrieberDec 3, 2013
As a huge fan of the original film, I did everything I could to judge Spike Lee's version on its own merits. But he has made an inferior film that simply doesn't work on its own. The story isn't the problem the film doesn't work due to theAs a huge fan of the original film, I did everything I could to judge Spike Lee's version on its own merits. But he has made an inferior film that simply doesn't work on its own. The story isn't the problem the film doesn't work due to the choices Spike Lee has made. Strange changes in the story serve to call attention to the film's inability to entertain like the original. Samuel L. Jackson. Watch both versions of the film and you will be stunned at Lee's choice to create Jackson's character and storyline. And if you haven't seen the original, you'll certainly wonder why this story was ever told. In addition, the Director has made some choices that didn't work for me at all. In "Annie Hall", having Woody Allen and Tony Roberts watch flashbacks worked; here, to see Josh Brolin watching the action around him it was distracting, and a huge mistake much like the decision to tell this story this way. Expand
brujah723Dec 3, 2013
Not a terrible movie by all means but if you have seen the original you know what is coming. Wish it tried something different, it had some minor stuff but nothing that I can say was major improvement. If you haven't seen the original youNot a terrible movie by all means but if you have seen the original you know what is coming. Wish it tried something different, it had some minor stuff but nothing that I can say was major improvement. If you haven't seen the original you might like this and be surprised, if you've seen the original I say see it when it comes on tv or something just to compare it to the original one. Expand
TouchstoneMay 16, 2014
Dear Spike Lee,

Two things happened to me the day before yesterday. Firstly, a pigeon crapped on me. Its mess splattered through my fingers, over my phone screen and all down my trousers. I was just starting an hour-long journey home,
Dear Spike Lee,

Two things happened to me the day before yesterday.

Firstly, a pigeon crapped on me. Its mess splattered through my fingers, over my phone screen and all down my trousers. I was just starting an hour-long journey home, and had nowhere to wash up. I spent that whole hour-long trip wearing that pigeon's filth, as evidenced by the plentiful grimaces and **** I earned from the strangers I passed, whose respect I would prefer to have.

Secondly, when I got home, I watched your remake of Oldboy.

I forgive the pigeon.
a7xfanNov 30, 2013
I'm gonna be up front and honest. I've never seen a Spike Lee film and I've never seen the original. Knowing that the original had such high acclaim this film had huge shoes to fill. People keep saying that this film is unnecessary which isI'm gonna be up front and honest. I've never seen a Spike Lee film and I've never seen the original. Knowing that the original had such high acclaim this film had huge shoes to fill. People keep saying that this film is unnecessary which is stupid because most films that are made today are unnecessary, they obviously wanted to put a new look on an acclaimed Korean story and I appreciate that. The story was very interesting and kept me guessing throughout its entirety. Josh Brolin is a great American actor who pulled off his role as Joe really well. The antagonist was kind of a joke, his attitude throughout was so fake. The twist was just crazy and I couldn't have ever seen that coming and I don't think anyone would've unless you've seen the original already. So honestly if I had to commend anything it would be Josh Brolin and his performance because he played it off so well. In conclusion I liked this film, it was a good hour and 45 minutes of entertainment and I didn't based everything off the fact that its a remake and its directed by Spike Lee. Expand
JasonNunesMar 4, 2014
I saw the original first just to make a comparison and this was a really clumsy remake. All the subtleties of the original were bulldozed with obvious plot points that the original only gave away at the end. As twisted as the story is, II saw the original first just to make a comparison and this was a really clumsy remake. All the subtleties of the original were bulldozed with obvious plot points that the original only gave away at the end. As twisted as the story is, I actually cared about the characters in the original. Spike really should have spent a little more time developing the main characters and maybe this would have worked. Really disappointed Expand
Leandro36Nov 29, 2013
Everyone in the review section is a idiot. They're just hating on it because it's a remake.

This movie was great. I'll just leave it at that. And IMO this stacks well with the orginal, I'll even say it does just about everything

This movie was great. I'll just leave it at that.

And IMO this stacks well with the orginal, I'll even say it does just about everything better.
Again don't listen to these but hurt idiots, they just can't take off their nostalgia goggles.
dharmaSep 6, 2014
I have a confession to make: I have never seen the original, so called 'superior' Korean original. But from what I've seen: it's a case of 'lost in translation'. For the most part, Oldboy's plot is highly original, the ultimate denoument ofI have a confession to make: I have never seen the original, so called 'superior' Korean original. But from what I've seen: it's a case of 'lost in translation'. For the most part, Oldboy's plot is highly original, the ultimate denoument of the story, shocking and heartbreaking. The casts gave their best A-game: be it Brolin, Olsen and Cooper as well as a particularly hammy Copley. But for the most part, it's a well made thriller that seemed to be 'butchered' a bit by the Producers before release, rumor has it. If such plot line and signature set pieces were based on a Korean film, then I suppose it's time for me to dwell into Korean fare then. Originality...something that Hollywood has missed in recent year.... Expand
Tss5078Aug 24, 2014
Ever since the success of the Grudge, 10 years ago, American filmmakers have been looking to popular overseas films for original ideas, many times simply remaking them. To many, this seems like a desperation move for original material, but IEver since the success of the Grudge, 10 years ago, American filmmakers have been looking to popular overseas films for original ideas, many times simply remaking them. To many, this seems like a desperation move for original material, but I see it more as a cultural thing. Movies often reflect the society of the country they were made in, and by remaking them in the United States, the story introduces movie lovers to something unique, from a different culture. I personally find this very desirable and have appreciated many of these remakes, even when I didn't love the story. In his latest venture, Spike Lee takes on the Korean classic, Oldboy. This is a film that was remade simply because of how bizarre and shocking the story is. The year is 1993, and Joe Doucett (Josh Brolin) isn't a great guy. For some reason, he's drugged and then locked away in a pretty decent looking room without doors or windows, and held there for exactly 20 years. Then, just as suddenly as he was imprisoned, he was released, and goes on a search for answers, in this seemingly new world. Josh Brolin stars and is usually pretty good as an ancillary character, but as the star of a thriller, I was skeptical. As always, he could have shown some more emotion, but he was much better than I thought he'd be. Spike Lee gives him as much help as he can, by giving him a huge cast of supporting actors, all of whom had name recognition. In particular, Samuel L. Jackson playing a psychopath, was very funny, and definitely injected some much needed humor. Oldboy is one of those films where it all comes down to the ending. If you're unfamiliar with the story, I won't say anything other than to tell you, that it is bizarre and twisted, with an ending the likes of which you couldn't possibly have imagined. Even if you start to watch this film and don't really like it, stick with it, because the ending really is that good. Expand
LeZeeAug 12, 2014
One of my all time favorite world cinema is the Korean version of this movie. Remakes are okay, but some movies won't suit for recreation because of its masterpiece value, believing that won't come close for the second time. Just like MonaOne of my all time favorite world cinema is the Korean version of this movie. Remakes are okay, but some movies won't suit for recreation because of its masterpiece value, believing that won't come close for the second time. Just like Mona Lisa, Starry Night, Birth of Venus, The Last Supper and other arts, it should have left alone untouched. Like Japanese did, because it was their story after all. This American version was good, but very much commercialized with the fast pace approach kind of ruined. If I had not seen the original, probably I would have liked it. I knew the twist so I did not get the excitements in those parts. So those who are not familiar with the 2003 movie can definitely have a good time.

It was not a copycat from frame to frame, many things were altered in this movie. The most laughable was to see gangsters fighting with knives, hammers and bare-hand like the Korean style. What I know in American gangster theme is that they take a gun and bang bang. The first poster where Josh Brolin comes out of the large wooden box was kind of funny, gives the impression of a comedy movie. I liked Josh Brolin in 'Labor Day' and yet again he was not bad in this film except if you compare him with his counterpart from the Korean movie, Choi Min Shik. It is one of the best role he has ever played, sadly the movie was not recieved well due to many other reasons than him.
chrisjones914Mar 25, 2014
It has been a long time that a plot twist has legitimately shocked me the way that this movie's did! I felt like it could have been a little longer or at least more drawn out. Also one of the death's caught me as particularly cheesy. However,It has been a long time that a plot twist has legitimately shocked me the way that this movie's did! I felt like it could have been a little longer or at least more drawn out. Also one of the death's caught me as particularly cheesy. However, even though the sum of its parts don't add up to a movie that is great, they definitely make one that is very good! It's weird, it's dark, it's crazy and it's violent! If you're into that then definitely don't hesitate in giving Spike Lee's Oldboy a go! Expand
WolfguardJan 18, 2015
I couldn't find any decent movie on Netflix that I wanted to see, but then I stumbled across this movie and I thought that the premise sounded interesting so I gave it a chance. And ohhh boy, I was not disappointed. I went in with noI couldn't find any decent movie on Netflix that I wanted to see, but then I stumbled across this movie and I thought that the premise sounded interesting so I gave it a chance. And ohhh boy, I was not disappointed. I went in with no expectations but I was absolutely blown away at the end!

There were some scenes I found too exaggerated, some aspects that weren't covered enough and some decisions/reactions I couldn't fully understand, but overall I'd say it's a solid movie. Not an Oscar, but quite decent especially if you haven't got other interesting movies to watch!
bertsiennaMar 9, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would like to lock Spike Lee in my bathroom for 2 hours, then let him out. Then he would know what it feels like to lose 2 hours of your life that you will never get back. Adrian locked Joe away for 20 years banking solely on the hope that he would have sex with Marie? Really? I know he was led right to her...but what if he kept running? What if Marie never stopped him to offer help? What if they werent attracted to each other? There is seriously a place that is in business to lock people away indefinitely and make them think they are in a hotel? The fight scenes were ridiculous. Apparently, watching infomercials for 20 years makes you a complete badass. He wiped out 2 separate mobs of guys (not sure where they came from) with ease. He took out the last group of guys with a knife buried in his back. Yet, when he went to rescue Marie at the house, he was easily overpowered by 2 guys. I liked the twist at the end with the daughter, but that wasnt enough to make up for the other 95% Expand
BarbudezJul 20, 2015
Siempre la misma murga de siempre (Remakes malvados, remakes diabolicos, puto Hollywood BLA BLA BLA), no voy a negar que Hollywood recurra a las secuelas y a lo remakes, porque este carente de ideas, pero no voy a ser un cínico ni unSiempre la misma murga de siempre (Remakes malvados, remakes diabolicos, puto Hollywood BLA BLA BLA), no voy a negar que Hollywood recurra a las secuelas y a lo remakes, porque este carente de ideas, pero no voy a ser un cínico ni un hipócrita, como mucha gente actúa, solamente porque la película es un remake sin ni siquiera valorarla y mas cuando hay gente competente detrás de ello.

Tampoco voy a ser como mucha gente hace, que te vende una película que te has visto 700.000 veces en la tele y la valore malamente, pero cuando te cascan la enesima versión, pero SALEN CHINOS (Usease Orientales para los finolis tiquismiquis) y ya están los mismos matándose a pajas y tildando de obra maestras, voy a dar mi opinión sean chinos, turcos o de raticulín, Es.....que es un buen remake y no destroza al original.

Personalmente, la versión original (Adaptación de un manga y luego critican la falta de ideas de Hollywood), NO me gusto, me pareció mal dirigida, lenta, poco empática con el espectador, fría, la mitica pelea esa del martillo, un tostón y su gore regulero. Voy a reconocer que el principio de la habitación y el giro de guión es cojonudo , pero vamos no me convenció NADA. Hype de chichinabo. El remake, rulo años y años y años , al final cayo en manos de alguien que no se me lo esperaba, el amigo SPIKE LEE, si, ese señor que tiene un poco de "tirria" a los caucasicos le cayó la responsabilidad de hacer la película.

La película, sigue el guión de la original, pero occidentalizado, la historia va de un ejecutivo de publicidad (Josh Brolin), divorciado, borracho, drogadicto con familia y una vida normal que repentinamente es secuestrado y mantenido como preso en una habitación de motel durante 20 años en régimen de aislamiento. Cuando es liberado inexplicablemente, se embarca en una búsqueda de venganza para descubrir el responsable de su extraño y tortuoso castigo sólo para descubrir que todavía está atrapado en una red de conspiración y tormentos. Las míticas escenas del film original, están y por supuesto no están recortadas ni reducida su violencia, esta peli es R

Spike Lee nos soprende con una película completamente atípica, nos enseña a un Spike Lee visceral, violento y oscuro, que plasma perfectamente la esencia de la pelicula original, pero con algo que carecía la original, que es dinamismo, rapidez, fluidez, una plasmación visual impactante sin tener que recurrir a la obviedad, escenas explicitas, crueles, incomodas (hasta cierto punto), las peleas muy brutas, (dislocaciones, cuellos rotos, cortes, martillazos con sangre y bien coreografiadas y sin epilepsia) . Por supuesto mete sus puyitas personales sobre los negros, ¡pero me gusta mucho más este Spike Lee!.

El reparto nos sorprende un Josh Brolin, que actúa bastante bien, junto con Elizabeth Olsen que nos muestra que ella es la Olsen con talento, el descojonante Samuel L Jackson y Sharlto Copley que este señor borda los papeles de gente sórdida. Los defectos, que tiene pues siempre ocurre que cuando sigues al dedillo el original y no repasas algunos fallos que tenia la original, como que el menda aprende artes marciales viendo la tele (no, la excusa de que es chino no vale),algunos dialogos chorras calcados y algunas partes que no se han "occidentalizado", pues quedan un poco raros y descoloca al espectador.

En conclusión, dejad las gilipolleces y los prejuicios de mierda, no seáis estúpidos y valorar la película como tal, que merece muchísimo la pena y respeta al original.
FireOccatorJun 25, 2016
Disclaimer: I haven't seen the original.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the original.

The story delivers an unlikable character who ends up without a character and it all ends with an unexpected plot twist. The action scenes are obscured and people simply stand around pretending to fight. The soundtrack is unnoticeable. The movie doesn't deliver anything interesting.
chwSep 24, 2014
Spike Lee was a controversial filmmaker. Now he proves to be a bad filmmaker. Why he would choose to become the victim of the American remake was probably because of The Departed, and how successful it was and how many awards it received. InSpike Lee was a controversial filmmaker. Now he proves to be a bad filmmaker. Why he would choose to become the victim of the American remake was probably because of The Departed, and how successful it was and how many awards it received. In Oldboy, Spike tries to convince you that it isn't the same, but by the end we find out that it is the same. Expand
russiangamerFeb 25, 2017
Неплохой ремейк.
Неплохой ремейк.
То, что было не понято мной в оригинале, стало понятно в этом фильме. Вообще, тут всё подробнейшим образом разжёвывают в плане сюжета. В основном всё тоже самое, но изменены и внесены некоторые детали. Драки выглядят не очень, а вот жестокость порадовала. Так же не могу не отметить момент с мышью (или крысой), который очень тронул меня.
Итог: Посмотрите оригинал 2003 года, а за тем приступайте к этому фильму, что бы было с чем сравнить.
Известные актёры, новые моменты, да и в целом сохранившаяся атмосфера оригинала, но уже без того очаровательного корейского колорита.