5.8

1. Jun 29, 2013
    Cliché, cheesy, inane, boring, predictable all could be used to sum up this horrible movie. It sucked, and I want my money back. Because this is America, and when things suck you should be able to get your $8 back.

I mean, I'm all about suspending disbelief in watching a movie. But Let's face it, if the only three people in the world with the detonation codes for every single nuclear
    missile were all being held hostage by a terrorist in the White House bunker which just happened to be the only place in the world where the detonation codes could be changed well, I feel pretty confident the order would be given to storm the White House and kill everyone in it including the President. And if the cops and the Navy SEALS couldn't handle this task, I feel pretty sure every one of us gun toting rednecks would swarm on the White House and demolish it to the ground in about 15 minutes.

And speaking of stupid, how about that super dooper gun turret they somehow miraculously smuggled into the White House and strategically placed on the roof such that it could shoot down 6 Navy SEAL helicopters??? OMFG! STOOOPID! This movie was Die Hard on steroids. Lame lame lame lame lame, and again, lame. Of course they cap the whole thing off with the proverbial ticking time bomb at the end that our hero just manages to deactivate at the last second, saving us all from certain doom.

What has the American population become that they would try to pass off an utterly inane and stupid piece of malarkey like this movie on us as an even marginally plausible scenario for a terrorist attack never-mind having only one goober inside able to thwart the attack and we as Americans don't stand up en masse and demand our freakin' money back for this garbage?? Cheesy!
  2. Mar 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. American hubris at it's most heavy handed (and not in the fun way). It goes beyond mere fantasy into nationalistic mutual masturbation. Every single American cliche is used. For example, as the Secretary of Defense is dragged to the top floor she says the Pledge of Allegiance to steel herself against the possibility of death. Machismo is satisfied in a number of ways with all female characters (except one) either beaten or killed. In the end, of course, America is united through astronomical blood sacrifice to be "reborn" and unified. Also, I am pretty sure that Morgan Freeman is wasted as a very weak Speaker of the House. It was almost comical, but so heavy handed and cliched that I couldn't even laugh. Expand
  3. Apr 7, 2013
    This movie was so bad it made me create a profile and write a review. This is my first. This is a horrible movie, so transparent in plot and so lacking in style I actually laughed al the way through it. This is a thin and badly made façade to demonise North Korea to justify the US Government going to war. The imagery was so crude that America is good and NK so bad I laughed, a five year old could see through it. Avoid, for the love of god and country avoid. This movie deserves to go down in history as a piece of crude propaganda that Goebbels would be proud of. Expand
  4. Mar 23, 2013
    Truly a horrible movie. Not the actors' fault--they did well enough. Just a dumb plot with completely implausible elements. Don't watch this. You'd be better off staying home and watching re-runs of West Wing.
  5. Mar 24, 2013
    I can't believe I paid money to watch this movie. Absolutely terrible. The only reason I didn't give it a zero is because there were a few decent parts. If you are a remotely intelligent person you will find this movie's plot repulsive. It makes no sense at all, characters die for no reason, the CGI is awful, just a very poor movie.
  6. Mar 31, 2013
    Simply awful, acting is very poor and topic has been done to death. Needed more to be orginal but it fell short shame really, I felt rather disapointed I was expecting more.
  7. Mar 25, 2013
    Prepare to have your intelligence insulted. Admittedly I saw this on a "guys night out" and I was the only one who hated it in our group of four. That's no excuse for such a steaming pile of Hollywood poo. Its so over the top its better as a parody of action flicks rather than an action flick in its own right. (We need the Mystery Science Theater guys to talk over this one.) I want my nine bucks and two hours back. Expand
  8. Mar 23, 2013
    This movie was terrible! Bad acting all around. Nothing made sense. They tried to make the movie shocking with the violence, but it was laughable. Worst movie I've seen in a long time. I thought this movie was going to be better than Die Hard 5 based on the scores, but it was actually worse. I think there were only two good scenes in the movie: when Butler interrogates two bad guys, and when he saves the kid. There were so many scenes where they were trying to be serious, but I couldn't help but laugh out loud because they were so dumb. How this got a mid 40s score from the critics is beyond me. Expand
  9. Apr 14, 2013
    Laughable plot, careless CGI, anticlimactic ending, and uninteresting characters. I wanted to enjoy myself, but I just couldn't get past all the mindlessness. Watch at your own rate.
  10. Apr 5, 2013
    Not good. Not good at all. This was the single most over hyped movie I have seen since The Dark Knight Rises. The cgi sucks, the acting is mediocre at best, and it's incredibly boring and tedious.
  11. Mar 22, 2013
    It's not a terrible film, and it gets your blood up if you're a red-blooded American. But I think certain directors and producers have a fetish which involves destroying American landmarks, killing American civilians, and desecrating the American flag in really creative ways. Sure, for cheesy movie like this to work, you have to get really pissed at the bad guy for that cathartic payoff at the end. But the level of destruction and killing in the first half of this film strains credulity and is over-the-top. Butler's not bad at all in his role, but Morgan Freeman is wasted. And he's a softie. Finally, I'm fascinated that Hollywood lacks the sack to make China the enemy in these movies (Red Dawn, etc.) North Koreans have a tough time scraping together food for their families they don't have the resources to put together operations like this. And for what? The bad guys' motivation is preposterous. ALL that being said, if you're out for a little brainless fun, it'll work. Expand
  12. Jul 2, 2013
    it could be worse and i guess if you can stand another "oh my god we are all victims" super patriotic US movie you can live with it as popcorn movie i guess.
    for the others its 2003ish jack bauer 10 years too late. we have seen everything here better. i left after having watched 70% of the movie.. not worth the lifetime.
  13. Aug 10, 2013
    I tried really, really hard to make it past the first half-hour, but it just wasn't possible. After convincing myself that the terrible dialog was just a brief device to get to the action, and suppressing snickers at the awful character stereotypes, the action arrived and it was just awful.

Really, a C-130 is almost immune to any attack and can take out half a metropolitan center
    with strafing runs? Yikes. Almost every single element was too much to swallow, and I had to say no before a half-hour was up. Expand
  14. Oct 18, 2013
    This is a movie so bad, I actually began writing this review while watching it. I'm all for pointless action, but the cliched plot and absolutely implausible takeover of the White House is near maddening. An army of Koreans sneak into the United States, some disguised as delegates who are mysteriously allowed to carry weapons within the White House, manage to capture the President. Meanwhile, the Secret Service, the men and women who are arguably the best trained agents in the world, run mindlessly into the open to take stray bullets from all directions. It's insane how badly this movie is set up from the beginning. It's not just bad, it's insulting. It's doesn't ever try to be funny like it's Jamie Fox counterpart. Expand
  15. Jun 1, 2013
    Antoine Fuqua knows how to display brutality in a film, be it physical or psychological and Olympus Has Fallen is bloody and traumatic but overall its a colossal waste of time, money and a plethora of talented actors. The film follows Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) who was the president's lead bodyguard until a tragic accident leaves him warming the bench. However when armed terrorists lay siege to the White House Mike must prove himself by saving not only the president but his son, a young boy who went missing when the gunfire started. Olympus avoids the many action cliches that ruin many a film but in doing so it fails to create any sense of suspense. Everything that happens is without any sense of jeopardy due to the way Mike is shown, he is a killing machine. The film has no tension so therefore it lacks a tone and its looks can be described by just saying the word brown, the film is dark, dingy and dirty and not in a good way, the film is miserably shot. Everything about the film is murky, hard to see and depressing, even in the uplifting moments. It's a film that because of its story is exceptionally bloody but it never really justifies the excessive brutality so by the end the main hero is essentially a sadist and an effective one at that considering he kills a small army in this film. They even attempt to justify his hero status with a girlfriend (Rhada Mitchell) who is literally there to service a plot point that isn't even successfully conveyed. They try a little harder by making him good with kids (because what kind of sociopath would be nice to a child is what I imagine the logic behind this was) as he protects the President's (Aaron Eckhart) son but even this doesn't mesh with the one man army the film is showing you, in fact by the end of the film Banning comes off as a highly trained, highly intelligent serial killer, only he doesn't have to hide any of his crimes. The film is populated with characters so badly written that they are completely unsympathetic. When the President gets threatened you kinda hope they kill him, to be honest, he really deserves it by the end. Melissa Leo gives good tough gal as the Secretary of Defense and Morgan Freeman comes in to literally order coffee and sit and relax. It's a film so remarkably stupid in its writing that the only enjoyable moments are the ones where they aren't talking but even the action fails to maintain your interest. In fact an action scene late into the movie is so hard to see that it sucks the life out of the ending and its a good 5 minute segment of blurry rubbish. It's a tone deaf mess of an action film that really could have been better. Expand
  16. Jun 29, 2013
    The movie is so ludicrous and unrealistic on how it unfolds, that its hard to take anything seriously. Some thrills and action sequences can't make up for the slightly better Sci-Fi channel visual effects.
  17. May 18, 2013
    Terribly under developed characters that made no sense. Overall plot holes made the action scenes hard to watch. Something that is "impossible" is terribly easy in the next scene... in more than one instance. Probably best to avoid this one.
  18. Mar 26, 2013
    i guest this movie goal for give up nationalisme the people americ aof attack by other country,,because this few month there issues attack from north korea and others countryt,,,this punish for people america for support to israel.
  19. Jun 30, 2013
    VERY PREDICTABLE! It only takes one main character to save the world.... Crap. There's nothing new that I have watched. The president will be saved no matter what lol if you want to feel good watch this cos it's like fairytale to me
  20. Aug 24, 2013
    An absolute piece of that shows our Secret Service guys as naive idiots has are running into bullets instead of taking cover, arranging defense perimeter and calling for enforcements. Only certified idiots can believe that something like that can indeed happen especially after 9/11. Watching this junk insults my intelligence.
  21. Dec 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A movie that seems to be a precautionary lesson about letting "Liberal wussies" be in charge of hostage negotiations and running a country (this coming from a Liberal to boot), rather than being about anything remotely believable. Brainless action, bad dialogue and idiotic logic from the US military and leadership all make the aforementioned real world organizations look incredibly bad. Terrorists send in a C-130 over American soil? Only send the jets when they're within spitting distance of Washington! The White House is under attack?! Have the Secret Service and police all walk across the front lawn and get gun down, rather than both sides (Not just the Terrorists) taking cover and using tactics to fight the battle. Terrorist has the president hostage and potentially have access to all of America's nukes, and demand the US military backs off from the White House? Cave! Gotta save the President over 300 million Americans and countless South Koreans right? The Terrorists start executing hostages? Cave! They want you out of the Korean area and off the North-South Korean DMZ so they can attack? Cave! Gotta save the President!!! The three codes needed to arm all nukes in America belong to the three politicians in the bunker, and they're being threatened? CAVE OF COURSE! Nothing bad could happen right? It's important to save three lives vs 300 million right? RIGHT?

Aside from stupid sloppy writing, the characters have very little personality, and the action is drab. Too many fast paced cuts in editing make the action little more than a blur. Forget this movie and avoid.
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    I just watched on demand and this is totally the worst film I have seen in a decade. I watched right through 'til almost the end when "the President" gives a speech that is laughable, really embarrassing. Had to turn it off right then. It just breaks my heart that millions of dollars were wasted on this unoriginal and really silly premise. The writer(s) should be ashamed. The dialogue was simply dreadful. What a waste. Expand
  23. Dec 2, 2013
    I give this a one because of the fight scenes they were done well. But the rest of the film was a silly, stupid, inane pile of doo-doo. There were some great actors, but they had nothing to work with, as the story is so paper thin, there is barely no character development at all. If you're looking for a really cheap thrill, then this is your ticket, but otherwise stay away. There are plenty of other action films that don't insult your intelligence like this film does. Expand
  24. Nov 5, 2013
    Ugh. I've seen the same actors do well in other productions; in this movie, every scene is overacted to the extreme. Never mind the terrible contrieved, inconsistent and unrealistic plot, I believe the director is to blame here. Where else would the actors have gotten the idea to suddenly underperfom like that? As other reviewers have pointed out, trite cliches abound. I am shocked and disappointed that a sequel is in the works. Then again, it could hardly be worse. Expand
  25. Apr 4, 2014
    The most generic, Americanised crap action movie ever. Yes OK it's all action and seems big budget, but the story and character development couldn't be any more generic. I simply cannot understand why anyone would watch this over playing a CoD game. It's predictable, run-of-the-mill and completely uninteresting. You've seen it before, and seen it done better. If you must watch a dumb American action film with lots of killing, watch the original Die Hard instead. Expand
  26. Aug 1, 2013
    The plot is incredibly generic Your typical enemy forces invade the US and now it's up to one guy to stop them all and save the day. Sort of a mix between Die Hard and Rambo but no where near as good as the two. The plot is very lacking and only explains the essentials, No real story to it, It's more of a crutch to help fill in where there isn't any action.

The generic and poor
    dialogue also hurts the acting. While Eckhart gives a decent performance, Butler and Freeman were very disappointing. Mostly because despite the two hour run time, None of the three are given much dialogue in the film.

Olympus Has Fallen is really action heavy, All flash and no substance really. While the actions scenes are fine, No real complaints about them, it's just not enough to keep me in my seat, Especially during the second half of the film. During the last 40 or so minutes, I was just so sick and tired of watching it, I simply wanted it to end.

The biggest flaw of the film, aside from the poor dialogue, is the terrible long run time. Is a 2 hour run time really need for a film with pretty much no plot and dialogue what so ever? They easily could have cut this film down to an hour and 40 minutes and it would have been much more bare-able to sit through. Heck, I probably would have given it a high score if it had been shorter but sadly it wasn't.

Overall, The long run time and incredibly generic plot/dialogue were a really killer for this movie. However, The long action scenes through out almost make it bare-able to watch...almost.
  27. Aug 25, 2013
    Action movies can be good when there is also a plot going on, but this movie completely fails at this. The flimsy story is a secondary attraction to the non sop gun shooting and explosions. It is incredibly boring to watch.
  28. Aug 12, 2013
    "Olympus Has Fallen" exhausts itself even without the burden of originality. The White House is under attack, and John McClain still isn't available he is still recouping from his recent disastrous installment to the "Die Hard" franchise. Everything in this movie, credited to writers Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt, is seemingly directly taken from the action classic "Die Hard" (1988). Having a man on the inside is one thing but to the bumbling idiots in authority, the rooftop adventure gone bad, the hero mistaking a bad guy for a good guy... it's a hostage movie alright, a storyline almost completely lifted from the 1988 classic starring Bruce Willis.

A group of North Korean militants launch an attack on Washington D.C. and manage to take over the White House. President Asher (Aaron Eckhart), the Vice President (Phil Austin), and the Secretary of Defense (Melissa Leo), are held hostage in the emergency bunker beneath the now ruined White House. The militants' leader Kang (Rick Yune) demands now acting President Trumbull (Morgan Freeman), for the withdrawal of American troops from the DMZ and the Seventh Fleet from the far Pacific.

But Kang hasn't reckoned with Mike Banning (Gerard Butler), a Secret Service agent who was reassigned to a desk job months earlier after failing to save the life of the First Lady (Ashley Judd, in what amounts to a little more than a cameo) in an auto accident. He witnesses the assault on the White House and gets involved, eventually winding up as the sole defender inside the White House. As a former Navy Seal, he systematically eliminates most of the remaining terrorists by breaking more necks than I could count, while also using a gun, a knife, and his mighty fists of patriotism. Banning is the ultimate one-man army who easily puts Jon McClain to shame.

There are too many ridiculous plot elements to call into question, and it would take away from the flag-waving premise of the movie. The only point is to put Butler in situations where he can kick some serious terrorist ass for truth, justice, and protecting the American way. To be fair, the action is well filmed, but also quite violent and graphic while mysteriously lacking any real blood or gore.

Envision grounding "Air Force One," moving it inside of The White House, giving it the story of "Die Hard," with the laughable characters and ridiculous screenplay of "Red Dawn," and presto, I give you "Olympus Has Fallen." It's dreadful, noisy, and ludicrous, not even worth the effort to assess it for future guilty pleasure enjoyment. All that's missing is an "Air Force One" style retort like "Get out of my HOUSE!"
  29. Jan 17, 2014
    Olympus Has Fallen is a perfect blend of annoying and violent. To even prompt basic enjoyment out of this flick you will need to suspend disbelief by a crane, forget anything you know about technology, and sit casually by as practically all good sense gets trampled. If you are ready to balance a whole lot of mediocre on the head of a pin without expecting a collapse, this movie is for you.
  30. May 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I could only make it through about 30 minutes of this movie. The premise is unbelievable-- somehow a lone aircraft sneaks past all our technologies and takes out several F/A-18s-- this is followed by ground troops appearing in D.C. and several spies in the white house taking out the S.S guarding the President. Of course, no explanation is give for how the ground troops (complete with tanks and trucks) somehow managed to enter our country, or how the spies somehow ended up in the bunker with the President and his personal guard.

To make this all even more unbelievable, the attackers are Korean. Now, wtf is Korea gonna do to the U.S.? Not a M.F. thing, that's what.

This film seems to rely on lots and lots of big gunfights-- there were several in the first half hour. Not only were they unimpressive, they were far from making up for the lack of coherent story.

The 2 is purely for the actors sake. If it wasn't for what I saw out of them, it would be a 0.
  31. Oct 10, 2013
    Butler is a good actor but the plot makes suspension of disbelief impossible, the action has nothing special and the ending is very predictable. Prefer to watch the Die Hard trilogy again.
    argonautis.eu
  32. Jun 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really, really stupid plot. Action and CGI were fine but the plot did this movie in. Way too many convenient plot points like all of the three code holders in the same place. And letting the South Korean delegation in the bunker is just beyond the pale. How did the bad guys know so much? And how were they able to gain advanced U.S. weaponry. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Expand
  33. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A decent class B action movie from the mid-90's. In 2013 looks like a pure comedy, really, except for some propagandistic and dangerous moments (Middle-East celebrates the attack on the White House, Russia and China mobilize their forces, etc.). Brainwashing at its worst. As to the action, it's not bad, but too many violence and desintegrated civilians (to provoke the righteous anger among the audience, I guess). The rest is cliche, cliche, cliche. Cliche again. And again...And continuous insult on the common sense. Just to name the few (of quite a many) cargo aircraft shooting down the F-22 interceptors, transport helicopters storming the AA emplacement, elite White House security guards brainlessly rushing on machine guns, the apocalyptic Cerberus device, DETONATING, not just destroying, all nuclear warheads (what's the point of creating such a system, except for turning USA into the nuclear wasteland???), the top-secret military protocol, of which even North-Korean terrorists are aware up to details...Well. This movie's worth of a single run, but I urge you not to take it seriously. And I'm really disappointed in Morgan Freeman, who I did respect very much, especially for the quite intelligent "Through the Wormhole" series. Expand
  34. Jan 17, 2014
    An idea clichéd to a point of no return, and acting (Freeman is pardoned, as is Eckhart), and the Koreans, rogue or not, are in no shape or form, threatening to us. The story itself destroys any creativity, and all the devastation cannot be recuperated from in just one day. There isn't really a happy ending out of all the people who died to save one man, and it's a disgrace that they even try at an optimistic conclusion for the waste of time and filming this movie took from Freeman and Eckhart, the only decent actors in the film. Expand
  35. Aug 27, 2013
    The script is lazy and stupid with huge plot holes just to support the story and "drama". It seems like a good action movie only because of all the mass murdering at the attack. Then it had the chance to be a Die Hard remake but failed it. It's only merit that the evil terrorist guys wasn't Muslims this time.
  36. Nov 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Olympus Has Fallen is a very horribly inaccurate movie that does not really make much sense how 40 north koreans can do that. This movie had an AC-130 flown by North Koreans just fly over Washington D.C. and the Air Force did not intervene until they were almost over the White house. Then the North Koreans had codes to SELF DESTRUCT/DISARM America's nukes not detonate (which is a difference) And had the U.S. pull all the troops out of the DMZ. Expand
  37. Nov 10, 2013
    A thoroughly racist, flag-waving action movie that inculcates the absurd notion of the secret service and capitol hill counter assault forces being overwhelmed by a small band of N. Korean terrorists. Sorry, not possible. Even taken in it's own insular reality and removing the integral political and racial themes, this movie blows hard and mainly borrows and steals it's plot arc and action-sequences from forebears like the Die Hard series. Not that I was able to appreciate anything after the initially stupefying interpretation of how the capitol would be invaded, as numerically superior and well-fortified Secret Service forces are somehow slaughtered piecemeal, tactically outmaneuvered and out-marksmanned by terrorists marching in an easy to target crowd. Not to mention the archaic looking single war-plane able to dodge all gunfire and release an endless supply of smart missile jammers against the 1 anti-aircraft battery in all of Washington, D.C. Oh, and it's gunner somehow has perfect accuracy. So obnoxious, and the sad part is that there are people who could possibly believe this. Expand
  38. Dec 12, 2013
    Well, that movie was a disappointment. The potential was there for a good movie, the relationship with the President was well done, the lead character was believable and the attack on the White House was clever enough to suspend your disbelief. And then it all fell apart terribly.

Why did they not use the son more? That's your tension right there. They seemed to be building it up
    and it was like they just gave up on the stroryline. Don't get me started on the codes nonsense.

And oh the plot-holes. Look it's an action movie, I can forgive bullets that never hit the hero, magic weapons, stuff like that but what's unforgivable are characters that do things and situations that would never, ever happen. They just spoiled the movie completely.

And the violence. Wow. I think the director watched too much Walking Dead. It was completely gratuitous and overly graphic.

Overall the movie had all the right ingredients but were spoiled completely by the terrible plot holes. Not recommended.
  39. Dec 31, 2013
    A ridiculous rah rah American political movie that is a joke from start to finish. The anti terrorist sentiment rules every aspect with the righteousness of running rampant over every scene. Infantile and terribly predictable.
  40. Jan 9, 2014
    Olympus Has Fallen short of a great finale. For the last scene reveals an incredible disrespect of tempo, form, and reality. Where is rhe Medic when you need it? Shouldn't the good all boys of the EMS had arrives to take care of the President rather than the President walking all the huge distance from the steps of the House to the ambulance? Those last ten minutes makea the great movie that it was unsummonarble. There gpes another great movie down the piles of failure in the last secuence. One Star for that horrendous finale. Expand
  41. Sep 29, 2014
    Ambitiously stupid movie. And the sentiment is way past its prime. I don't think anyone, anywhere gives a **** about the "United States" or its whorish capital of Washington DC. I was rooting for the Koreans to be quite honest.

1. Reviewed by: Guy Lodge
    Apr 29, 2013
    The thrills and the effects are cheap, but this is in hard-driving, good-humoured command of its own silliness.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Apr 19, 2013
    Part of the weirdness of this film lies in the fact that the tense North Korean situation in the real world gives it no realism or satirical edge, or prophetic authority of any kind.
    Olympus Has Fallen is a disgusting piece of work, but it certainly hits its marks — it makes you sick with suspense.