5.8

1. Mar 23, 2013
    This is a GREAT action movie. I'm judging it based on an action movie not a movie up for an oscar. It has a lot of cool action scenes, good plot, well acted and was intense. I think it is the perfect action movie.
  2. Mar 22, 2013
    It's essentially the first Die Hard meets Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2... (and actually, it was way better than that most recent stinky entry in the Die Hard franchise).
  3. Jun 29, 2013
    Cliché, cheesy, inane, boring, predictable all could be used to sum up this horrible movie. It sucked, and I want my money back. Because this is America, and when things suck you should be able to get your $8 back.

I mean, I'm all about suspending disbelief in watching a movie. But Let's face it, if the only three people in the world with the detonation codes for every single nuclear
    missile were all being held hostage by a terrorist in the White House bunker which just happened to be the only place in the world where the detonation codes could be changed well, I feel pretty confident the order would be given to storm the White House and kill everyone in it including the President. And if the cops and the Navy SEALS couldn't handle this task, I feel pretty sure every one of us gun toting rednecks would swarm on the White House and demolish it to the ground in about 15 minutes.

And speaking of stupid, how about that super dooper gun turret they somehow miraculously smuggled into the White House and strategically placed on the roof such that it could shoot down 6 Navy SEAL helicopters??? OMFG! STOOOPID! This movie was Die Hard on steroids. Lame lame lame lame lame, and again, lame. Of course they cap the whole thing off with the proverbial ticking time bomb at the end that our hero just manages to deactivate at the last second, saving us all from certain doom.

What has the American population become that they would try to pass off an utterly inane and stupid piece of malarkey like this movie on us as an even marginally plausible scenario for a terrorist attack never-mind having only one goober inside able to thwart the attack and we as Americans don't stand up en masse and demand our freakin' money back for this garbage?? Cheesy!
  4. Mar 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. American hubris at it's most heavy handed (and not in the fun way). It goes beyond mere fantasy into nationalistic mutual masturbation. Every single American cliche is used. For example, as the Secretary of Defense is dragged to the top floor she says the Pledge of Allegiance to steel herself against the possibility of death. Machismo is satisfied in a number of ways with all female characters (except one) either beaten or killed. In the end, of course, America is united through astronomical blood sacrifice to be "reborn" and unified. Also, I am pretty sure that Morgan Freeman is wasted as a very weak Speaker of the House. It was almost comical, but so heavy handed and cliched that I couldn't even laugh. Expand
  5. Apr 7, 2013
    This movie was so bad it made me create a profile and write a review. This is my first. This is a horrible movie, so transparent in plot and so lacking in style I actually laughed al the way through it. This is a thin and badly made façade to demonise North Korea to justify the US Government going to war. The imagery was so crude that America is good and NK so bad I laughed, a five year old could see through it. Avoid, for the love of god and country avoid. This movie deserves to go down in history as a piece of crude propaganda that Goebbels would be proud of. Expand
  6. Mar 23, 2013
    Truly a horrible movie. Not the actors' fault--they did well enough. Just a dumb plot with completely implausible elements. Don't watch this. You'd be better off staying home and watching re-runs of West Wing.
  7. Mar 24, 2013
    I can't believe I paid money to watch this movie. Absolutely terrible. The only reason I didn't give it a zero is because there were a few decent parts. If you are a remotely intelligent person you will find this movie's plot repulsive. It makes no sense at all, characters die for no reason, the CGI is awful, just a very poor movie.
  8. Mar 31, 2013
    Simply awful, acting is very poor and topic has been done to death. Needed more to be orginal but it fell short shame really, I felt rather disapointed I was expecting more.
  9. Mar 23, 2013
    This movie was terrible! Bad acting all around. Nothing made sense. They tried to make the movie shocking with the violence, but it was laughable. Worst movie I've seen in a long time. I thought this movie was going to be better than Die Hard 5 based on the scores, but it was actually worse. I think there were only two good scenes in the movie: when Butler interrogates two bad guys, and when he saves the kid. There were so many scenes where they were trying to be serious, but I couldn't help but laugh out loud because they were so dumb. How this got a mid 40s score from the critics is beyond me. Expand
  10. Mar 25, 2013
    Prepare to have your intelligence insulted. Admittedly I saw this on a "guys night out" and I was the only one who hated it in our group of four. That's no excuse for such a steaming pile of Hollywood poo. Its so over the top its better as a parody of action flicks rather than an action flick in its own right. (We need the Mystery Science Theater guys to talk over this one.) I want my nine bucks and two hours back. Expand
  11. Apr 5, 2013
    Not good. Not good at all. This was the single most over hyped movie I have seen since The Dark Knight Rises. The cgi sucks, the acting is mediocre at best, and it's incredibly boring and tedious.
  12. Apr 9, 2013
    A movie that bring the audience right back to 80's action movies. Crappy effects, unbelievable plot and over the top action sequences. This is the recipe to a good old action movie, simple yet many other movies have failed at it like the last stand. Great movie for good old mindless fun.
    I dot think this movie is gonna wipe the oscars but is certainly worth a matinee price.
  13. Apr 14, 2013
    Laughable plot, careless CGI, anticlimactic ending, and uninteresting characters. I wanted to enjoy myself, but I just couldn't get past all the mindlessness. Watch at your own rate.
  14. Mar 22, 2013
    It's not a terrible film, and it gets your blood up if you're a red-blooded American. But I think certain directors and producers have a fetish which involves destroying American landmarks, killing American civilians, and desecrating the American flag in really creative ways. Sure, for cheesy movie like this to work, you have to get really pissed at the bad guy for that cathartic payoff at the end. But the level of destruction and killing in the first half of this film strains credulity and is over-the-top. Butler's not bad at all in his role, but Morgan Freeman is wasted. And he's a softie. Finally, I'm fascinated that Hollywood lacks the sack to make China the enemy in these movies (Red Dawn, etc.) North Koreans have a tough time scraping together food for their families they don't have the resources to put together operations like this. And for what? The bad guys' motivation is preposterous. ALL that being said, if you're out for a little brainless fun, it'll work. Expand
  15. Mar 22, 2013
    This is one wild ride! It will be too much for some people (too much noise, too much blood, etc etc) but that's okay. If you're able to suspend your disbelief, Fuqua's pacing zips along so fast that you bounce over the plot holes. It's like a roller coaster you'll want to get back on as soon as it's over. Butler, Freeman, Basset, Eckhart, et al are terrific! Do not be swayed see it for yourself
  16. Mar 22, 2013
    This is a great action movie. Reminiscent of the original Die Hard and Under Siege. Well acted, high body count and well paced, the film never gets preachy or off topic. Not believable, but still a great experience and still better than the other action movies that have come out this year.
  17. Mar 22, 2013
    What a great F#cking movie. I have no idea why some people are giving it such bad reviews. If you like action thrillers then this movie will get your blood boiling and heart pounding. When certain part of the movie occurred (which will remain nameless as not to spoil anyone) the crowd started cheering and there was an applause at the end of the film. The only downfall that I saw in the movie were some real life inaccuracies. other than that it was one of Gerard Butler's best films. Expand
  18. Mar 22, 2013
    According to moviebodycounts.com, (yes, all sorts of information is available on the Internet), Gerard Butler set some sort of top 5 record with his movie “300” and I think he easily breaks that record with a body count of 600 people just in the first half hour of “Olympus Has Fallen”!

As always one has to check logic at the door when approaching an action film such as this without even
    talking about a secret service agent, Mike Banning, (Butler) working with the president (Aaron Eckhart) and his wife (Ashley Judd) on Christmas Eve wearing a 5 o’clock shadow! “Olympus Has Fallen” follows the template of hundreds of movies that have come before where one man can fight, kill and escape one threat after another but not one man can escape him.

The story starts with Banning feeling he has made a mistake and then jumps ahead 18 months to present day. The president, and some of his staff, including secretary of defense McMillan (Melissa Leo) and vice-president Charlie Rodriguez (Phil Austin) are held hostage by a North Korean terrorist, Yang (Rick Yune), making Morgan Freeman the acting president who works with secret service director Lynn Jacobs (Angela Bassett). Connor (Finley Jacobsen) as the president’s son, Dylan McDermott as a friend of Banning’s and Radha Mitchell as the latter’s wife are all important parts of the movie but it is Gerard Butler who is the man in the white hat, who uses the ‘F’ word quite a bit, who comes to the rescue of all and the world. In no way is that a spoiler as you know from the beginning it is not who but you have to find out how the hero will save the day.

Director Antoine Fuqua, working with a script by Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt, plus an excellent CGI crew and a production crew that constructs special, amazing sets, keeps the film going at a fast, sometimes funny pace, defying you to keep an accurate body count.

“Olympus Has Fallen” is a fun, shake your head, how did they do that, just sit back and relax thriller of a movie with a music soundtrack that, at times, is too loud.
  19. Mar 31, 2013
    This script is corny and the acting is very uneven. Gerard Butler is fine as the main badass. There is a tremendous 20-25 minute action sequence. Very uneven film. Didn't anyone day anything to these people about how stupid this is? Think Die hard crossed with in the line of fire and ask why?
  20. Mar 22, 2013
    I mean it gets your blood pomping but eh sometimes its a little weak. In my opinion so far in 2012 Ive enjoyed 1. Spring Breakers 2. A Haunted House. 3. Olympus Has Fallen. 4. Death Race 3. If you want my opinion watch 'Spring Breakers' it comes out the same day and was much much better. Probably one of the best and most interesting films in like 4-5 years. Watch this if you like destruction to a big point. I have no problem with destroying American landmarks, people, flags. eh. Its just a movie and thats probably the thing that drove the film for me. Watch Spring Breakers. If your unable to watch Olympus Has Fallen. #SpringBreakForever. Expand
  21. Mar 22, 2013
    It's Die Hard in the White House. Olympus has Fallen has a great edgy feeling to it, making the film just like Die Hard movies. The plot was great and the action was mesmerizing. This is the movie for action fanatics but it seems like its more than that. Die Hard 5 is just what I wanted this to be, but the stinky Good Day To Die Hard entered and blowed my mind. Olympus has Fallen is great. Maybe it's the best movie of 2013. Expand
  22. Mar 26, 2013
    i guest this movie goal for give up nationalisme the people americ aof attack by other country,,because this few month there issues attack from north korea and others countryt,,,this punish for people america for support to israel.
  23. Apr 4, 2013
    I thoroughly enjoyed this action packed thrill ride of a movie. Yes it does seem completely impossible at times and the secret service looks pretty incompetent but it doesn't take away from the many awesomeness factors. I think the plot does of good job of making you care about its characters and the many twists and turns keep you engaged. All in all the movie can be a little cheesy at times but I highly recommend you see it. Expand
  24. Apr 8, 2013
    Olympus Has Fallen felt like a live-action version of a Call of Duty game. They ignore realism and go for as much shock and awe as possible. When I say they "ignore realism", I don't mean it looks or feels fake, I mean the major plot points that establish the premise are ridiculously unbelievable and all of the drama hinges on those points. It makes the very well done action sequences tinge of disbelief because the scenario is flawed. As a matter of fact, all of the drama in the film suffers from these flaws. So why did I give it a not-so-terrible rating? Because Gerard Butler is such a BA that he makes this movie incredibly entertaining. The combat and fighting sequences were incredibly well done and the acting throughout, not just by Butler but really the entire cast, is great. The graphics and cinematic elements were done well also. Really, the only flaws in the film were story related but they had such a cascade effect that it hurt the entire film. Overall, I think most people would actually probably enjoy it because they wouldn't get quite as hung up on the minor details as I did but I expected more. Expand
  25. Apr 9, 2013
    A competent action flick, perfectly slotted for pre-summer release. Various plot devices are hardly believable, but you just go with it in this type of movie. Predictable, but fun.
  26. Apr 15, 2013
    I first want to say, I am anti-American. Born and raised in Russia, my parents abandoned me because of the economy. I've always blamed that on America.

I honestly think this could never happen to the White House but it is still a great film to watch. It had me on the edge of my seat. It is quite a cheesy (how many movies have a plot similar to this?) but I didn't mind.

A great
    political thriller. I highly recommend it. Expand
  27. Apr 23, 2013
    Watching this movie, i was constantly reminded of the film adaption of Tom Clancy's "The Sum of All Fears". Show America being hurt, throw in a male model built secret service agent, some shady, obviously evil baddies and Morgan Freeman. What made TSoAFs a superior film however, was that it always managed to maintain an atmosphere that kept you in doubt as to whether the US would escape intact, even though the film viewer in us kept telling ourselves that of course it would. "Olympus has Fallen" never keeps you in doubt that America will come out on top and stronger than ever, or that Aaron Eckhart will come out with his face still in presentable condition. Some [one] good jokes and cathartic action sequences push this entirely unremarkable film up to a 5/10. Expand
  28. Apr 28, 2013
    If you have seen Die Hard, the original, then you've seen this. So-so remake in which you know how this is ending. Lot of destruction and people dying. And our hero? LOL
  29. Apr 29, 2013
    A B movie with an A-list cast of actors, they put in a yeomen-like effort but can't salvage the overly generic dialogue and plot. I love action, and that was done reasonably well without being anything special. As some have noted it's kinda like an old-school 80's action film with Gerald Butler standing in for Chuck Norris.
  30. May 3, 2013
    The rating was just so so on imdb. I thought this would be as terrible as die hard 5, but i was wrong. This one was so much better and much more entertaining than die hard 5. Full throttle action, very enjoyable, intense and great acting. I could have given it 10, but since there were too much civilians killing and massacre scenes therefore i reduce it to 8. This movie worth every and my time on big screen. Expand
  31. May 18, 2013
    Terribly under developed characters that made no sense. Overall plot holes made the action scenes hard to watch. Something that is "impossible" is terribly easy in the next scene... in more than one instance. Probably best to avoid this one.
  32. Jun 1, 2013
    Antoine Fuqua knows how to display brutality in a film, be it physical or psychological and Olympus Has Fallen is bloody and traumatic but overall its a colossal waste of time, money and a plethora of talented actors. The film follows Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) who was the president's lead bodyguard until a tragic accident leaves him warming the bench. However when armed terrorists lay siege to the White House Mike must prove himself by saving not only the president but his son, a young boy who went missing when the gunfire started. Olympus avoids the many action cliches that ruin many a film but in doing so it fails to create any sense of suspense. Everything that happens is without any sense of jeopardy due to the way Mike is shown, he is a killing machine. The film has no tension so therefore it lacks a tone and its looks can be described by just saying the word brown, the film is dark, dingy and dirty and not in a good way, the film is miserably shot. Everything about the film is murky, hard to see and depressing, even in the uplifting moments. It's a film that because of its story is exceptionally bloody but it never really justifies the excessive brutality so by the end the main hero is essentially a sadist and an effective one at that considering he kills a small army in this film. They even attempt to justify his hero status with a girlfriend (Rhada Mitchell) who is literally there to service a plot point that isn't even successfully conveyed. They try a little harder by making him good with kids (because what kind of sociopath would be nice to a child is what I imagine the logic behind this was) as he protects the President's (Aaron Eckhart) son but even this doesn't mesh with the one man army the film is showing you, in fact by the end of the film Banning comes off as a highly trained, highly intelligent serial killer, only he doesn't have to hide any of his crimes. The film is populated with characters so badly written that they are completely unsympathetic. When the President gets threatened you kinda hope they kill him, to be honest, he really deserves it by the end. Melissa Leo gives good tough gal as the Secretary of Defense and Morgan Freeman comes in to literally order coffee and sit and relax. It's a film so remarkably stupid in its writing that the only enjoyable moments are the ones where they aren't talking but even the action fails to maintain your interest. In fact an action scene late into the movie is so hard to see that it sucks the life out of the ending and its a good 5 minute segment of blurry rubbish. It's a tone deaf mess of an action film that really could have been better. Expand
  33. Jun 4, 2013
    "Olympus Has Fallen" is a taunt, exciting, edgy and just a flat out terrific action movie. More along the lines of a Die Hard for this generation, Antoine Fuqua has created one truly kick ass film, Olympus does not fall, in fact its quite the opposite.".. A-
  34. Jun 29, 2013
    The movie is so ludicrous and unrealistic on how it unfolds, that its hard to take anything seriously. Some thrills and action sequences can't make up for the slightly better Sci-Fi channel visual effects.
  35. Jun 30, 2013
    VERY PREDICTABLE! It only takes one main character to save the world.... Crap. There's nothing new that I have watched. The president will be saved no matter what lol if you want to feel good watch this cos it's like fairytale to me
  36. Jul 2, 2013
    it could be worse and i guess if you can stand another "oh my god we are all victims" super patriotic US movie you can live with it as popcorn movie i guess.
    for the others its 2003ish jack bauer 10 years too late. we have seen everything here better. i left after having watched 70% of the movie.. not worth the lifetime.
  37. Jul 18, 2013
    This is everything that Die Hard 5 should've been. An all out, over the top, ridiculous action movie, yet is somehow manages to pull it off and give you a thoroughly entertaining experience. With a great cast consisting of Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart and Morgan Freeman they really make this film work. Olympus Has Fallen deals with a North Korean led guerrilla assault, led by former Bond villain Rick Yune, on the White House, where it's left to a guilt ridden Secret Service agent Mike Banning (Butler) to stop the terrorists and save the President (Eckhart.) It's definitely not an original idea but that doesn't prevent you from enjoying the film. It's a heart pounding, adrenaline filled action adventure that seems to take certain inspiration from classics like Die Hard and Under Siege. As unrealistic as it is. The film is very well acted. Morgan Freeman just doesn't deliver an average performance and that's no different here. Eckhart is believable as the idealist President. Yune was a smart and solid choice as the villain of the piece but it's Butler who rediscovers his form. He has had some shockers recently but this is very much normal business resumed. He thrives as an action star and this may just re-ignite him in that area because he gives a superb showing here. Let's be clear it won't win any Academy Awards. But in terms of action it's packed to the limit, adrenaline fuelled, fist pumping, roller-coaster ride that is pure entertainment. Expand
  38. Aug 10, 2013
    I tried really, really hard to make it past the first half-hour, but it just wasn't possible. After convincing myself that the terrible dialog was just a brief device to get to the action, and suppressing snickers at the awful character stereotypes, the action arrived and it was just awful.

Really, a C-130 is almost immune to any attack and can take out half a metropolitan center
    with strafing runs? Yikes. Almost every single element was too much to swallow, and I had to say no before a half-hour was up. Expand
  39. Aug 24, 2013
    An absolute piece of that shows our Secret Service guys as naive idiots has are running into bullets instead of taking cover, arranging defense perimeter and calling for enforcements. Only certified idiots can believe that something like that can indeed happen especially after 9/11. Watching this junk insults my intelligence.
  40. Oct 18, 2013
    This is a movie so bad, I actually began writing this review while watching it. I'm all for pointless action, but the cliched plot and absolutely implausible takeover of the White House is near maddening. An army of Koreans sneak into the United States, some disguised as delegates who are mysteriously allowed to carry weapons within the White House, manage to capture the President. Meanwhile, the Secret Service, the men and women who are arguably the best trained agents in the world, run mindlessly into the open to take stray bullets from all directions. It's insane how badly this movie is set up from the beginning. It's not just bad, it's insulting. It's doesn't ever try to be funny like it's Jamie Fox counterpart. Expand
  41. Oct 25, 2013
    Like alot have already said, it's quite Die Hard-esque, the attack sequences were pretty decent, but there's an element called "plausibility" that they punted and that makes this a one-time watch instead of a classic to view repeatedly. I do wonder, though, if Obama requested a Secret Service briefing to ensure such elements of attack couldn't be exploited.
  42. Mar 22, 2013
    Putting into mind that its fiction based on could be reality, than you can consider it as the first valid action flick this summer and could be one of the best this year. Gerard butler makes his comeback in his favorite genre as a serious warrior type image. all the rest played around him but played well.
  43. Mar 22, 2013
    The film was a lot of fun. If you really don't over-think the movie, you're going to enjoy it. Much better than "Red Dawn". I would say if you enjoyed the movie "Salt", you'll enjoy this one.
  44. Mar 23, 2013
    this film is much better than I expected. Its extremely action-packed and has very interesting characters. America FTW guys! The most patriotic movie i've seen in a while.
  45. Mar 23, 2013
    You are really going to have to suspend your disbelief with this film if you want to enjoy it. Its pretty obvious that a situation like this would never happen and if you can put this and a few flaws aside, its actually a surprising good action film. If Die Hard 5 was actually good, it would be this movie. Sure, some of the dialogue is cheesy and hit or miss and you can tell how hard Butler is trying to keep his accent hidden but these are just nit picks. Its a solid action movie if you can forgive the minor flaws. Expand
  46. Mar 24, 2013
    the first part of the movie was.......boring.but after 15 minutes the movie was very good actually,and it was very interasting and thrilling so it succeed to help this movie get a 9 out of me.
  47. Mar 24, 2013
    First of all, to hell with the reviewers on here that bashed the film because of the terrorist scenes. Did you not watch the trailer or read what the film is about? Stop playing politics. Tea Party morons upset over a film, Do us a favor, leave your ridiculous political opinions to yourselves and just stay home and watch Atlas Shrugged or old Ronald Reagan Youtube clips. Olympus Has Fallen is everything you want in an action film. Sure, The situation itself is incredibly unrealistic. It's total mayhem, but Damn its fun! I hope Bruce Willis is taking notes, After "A Good Day To Die Hard" he could use Antoine Fuqua for the next film. Daring, nonstop action. Wonderful to see Gerard Butler back as a Badass! Expand
  48. Mar 25, 2013
    This movie in my book gets a 10/10 for accomplishing what it set out to be, and ACTION movie. Forget the Oscars and Golden Globes ladies and gentlemen, this is a true action movie with the right premise and the right excuse to blow car up and shoot anything that moves. Yes the plot is unrealistic, but thats not what I expect from this movie. I wanted tension, suspense, action, and thrill and Olympus Has Fallen delivers in spades. If I had to choose between watching this or Argo, I would watch this. Dont get me wrong Argo was a good movie, but Olympus Has Fallen is more ENTERTAINING, and at the end of the day, thats why I watch movies, for entertainment. This is the Die Hard sequel I was waiting for. PS: thank you Antoine Fuqua for giving us some old school 90's action it was about time someone nailed this genre again Expand
  49. Mar 25, 2013
    This is a Hollywood formula film. Every couple of years they release an action movie with essentially the same plot because it's a tried and true formula that works. Back in 1993 Clint Eastwood made a film called In the Line of Fire where he was an ex Secret Service man who didn't save the President from getting shot and gets a chance to redeem himself. They basically stole that idea for this film. This latest version is action packed and never boring. Unfortunately it had the dreaded countdown timer at the end of the film that we've seen a thousand times where the planet is saved with only a couple of seconds left on the clock. That is the main problem with films like this one they are always unoriginal. Most of the hand to hand combat scenes have the fast editing extreme close ups where you can't see what's going on. The few attempts at humor were hokey and fell flat. Still, the special effects are well done, the acting is fine, and the action frenetic. Lastly, there is a lot of violence, so if you can't stomach that stay away. Expand
  50. Mar 25, 2013
    It may be wholly unoriginal and occasionally outrageous, but those factors don't change the truth "Olympus Has Fallen" is a suspenseful, thrilling, well-acted, and (Most importantly) fun action flick.
  51. Mar 27, 2013
    "Olympus Has Fallen" was surprisingly effective the effects were excellent, the action non-stop, and the acting strong from all the major players and yes, I was surprised by this! I read a review that trashed the dialogue but it was kind of shooting ducks in a pond, as this movie is "Die Hard In The White House" not "Lincoln." It's a populist action thriller that delivered action and thrills...check your artistic pretensions at the door and take the ride it was fun! Expand
  52. Mar 27, 2013
    My Take:
    Gerard Butler has had a very interesting career littered with some solid films as well as some duds. When I saw the initial trailer for Olympus Has Fallen I was glad to see his return to the action genre where I think he fares the best. While everyone will always remember his role as Leonidas in 300 he has a few notable other films that I have liked, particularly Law Abiding
    Citizen which I felt was enjoyable because of his work as Clyde Shelton. Antoine Fuqua is known for his stellar work on action thrillers, the most well-known being Training Day which we all know got Denzel Washington his second Academy Award. Fuqua did a tremendous job showing theater-goers a visceral and at times an all too real depiction of how a terrorist attack on the White House can occur. (Let’s hope the terrorists aren’t taking notes.) While there were a few elements that definitely screamed far-fetched, the fact remains that those moments were few and far between. Gerard Butler delivered an excellent performance as Banning and Aaron Eckhart channeled his pre-Two-Face Harvey Dent to deliver some great lines and bring cohesiveness to a well paced action thriller. I am sure many will ask about Morgan Freeman’s performance which I feel needs no breakdown because Morgan Freeman’s acting is in a class all its own. If I ever had my life story turned into a movie, I’d want Freeman to narrate it. If there is one actor I need to discuss a bit further it is the consistently solid Rick Yune who I saw in action this weekend as well in The Man With The Iron Fists. Rick Yune has great screen presence and seems to add an air of finesse to any villain he plays. I think Yune has the potential to be a solid lead after playing such great villains. Olympus Has Fallen delivered hard-hitting action scenes coupled with great acting and fight choreography I commend Antoine Fuqua for putting together such a solid cast with standouts such as Melissa Leo, Angela Bassett and Dylan McDermott and allowing them ample screen time to make audiences connect with them throughout the film.

Recommendation:
    It is very easy to call this film “Die Hard at The White House” and honestly it wouldn’t be a stretch considering the way Gerard Butler portrayed Banning, but there is more to this film and it’s plot is engaging enough to keep you interested for its two-hour run time. I am glad to see Butler doing action films again. I thought his stock had taken a tumble after those terrible romantic comedies he has done recently. Olympus Has Fallen in a solid film from start to finish with copious servings of violence wrapped and side of good acting. This is film that I am sure will go under the radar much like another one of Fuqua’s movies Shooter, but my hope is that audiences prove me wrong.
  53. Mar 28, 2013
    Gerard Butler has had a long string on movie duds, but this one will put him back on solid ground as an intrepid Secret Service agent. After terrorists stage a spectacular attack on the White House and hold President Aaron Eckhart hostage, Butler is the only one who can save the day. As this genre goes, this is pretty much by the numbers, but it's well staged and well acted (who even recognized Melissa Leo in that wig?). The fights are sometimes too jumbled to follow, but the plot (pun intended) offers a frightening theory that's effectively played out. Expand
  54. Mar 29, 2013
    This movie was awesome!!!!!!!!!!! From start to finish you don't know what's coming. The action scenes were fantastic and the execution of the story was great. Morgan Freeman and Gerard Butler had great performances. Some people say that it was a ripoff of Air force one but in my opinion it was much better. The only tiny flaw was that at first the dialogue was kind of corny but it straightened out as the story progressed. Everyone go see this because you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  55. Mar 30, 2013
    The movie could have been a little bit happier and switched scenes more often. the movie wasn't too great but did have a lot of action and a good sense of humor in it
  56. Apr 1, 2013
    Quick sum up: Salt meets Rambo meets Mars attacks (Only the stuff blowing up). cc
  57. Apr 3, 2013
    This film will certainly get your patriotic juices flowing, and it's for that reason that Olympus Has Fallen is without a doubt one of the more satisfying films of 2013. Its plot is preposterous and borderline unbelievable, but thanks to a really great cast, you believe (almost) every bit of it. Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman, Melissa Leo, Angela Bassett, Ashley Judd, Dylan McDermott, they all give convincing performances and really give the film a lot of credibility. Credit also must go to director Antoine Fuqua who directs the heck out of this movie; his aggressive approach really ups the stakes and makes OHF a hell of a thrill ride. I was surprised by the action/violence in this, it certainly earns its R rating... villains get what you think they deserve and I just had a great time with the film. The CGI is absolutely horrible, but this is a very fun movie that is worth seeing. Expand
  58. DRT
    Apr 7, 2013
    I can't believe Hollywood became this pathetic weak story over done what a waste of 2 hours of the weekend this crew should be ashamed of them selves
  59. Apr 10, 2013
    Gerard Butler Goes for the "Turkey"

----

There's a term, made (in)famous by Will Forte's "MacGruber" character, in which his life goal of getting three throat rippings in one mission is called a "Turkey." In Fuqua's deliciously stupid "Olympus Has Fallen" Butler works his own style into the "Turkey" and goes for an unbelievable amount of head stabbings. These aren't off camera head
    stabbings, no, these are full out, knife in forehead brain stabbings. If that doesn't give you a taste of this glorious piece of American cinema, I don't know what will. This completely over the top, cliché ridden, extremely xenophobic film rivals Roland Emmerich's "2012" in sheer hilarity. "Olympus Has Fallen" is a terrible movie, but in the best possible way. From the head stabbings, to the continuous use of the term "f***in' S**t!" throughout, to the crazy overacting from Melissa Leo, to the classic lines like "I'm all you've got!" or "America doesn't negotiate with terrorists!" or the worst performance of Morgan Freeman's career (his character has a "I really don't give a s**t what happens" attitude throughout), this is a classic example of "so bad it's good cinema." I have no idea why such a talented cast and such a respected director would slum it in a script this idiotic. Maybe it's money, or maybe its the same reason I enjoyed it; it's just good, old-fashioned DUMB fun. Sure, it's a terrible movie, but I can't deny I wasn't entertained throughout. Expand
  60. Apr 12, 2013
    Very good film. I quite enjoyed it for an action movie and thought the actors did a great job. A couple things could have been touched up on or more utilized, but nothing major and the ending could have been a little more extended but not much... Those are minor grips. Otherwise, check it out. Definately worth the price of admission (I went to an afternoon viewing of it)
  61. Apr 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Only knowing a little bit about the film to start with (it has Gerard Butler and Morgan Freeman), I took the film with a pinch of salt. Now I'm not saying this is a brilliant film, because it's not, but it's still a great film to keep you giddy on the way home.

Now the beginning 20 minutes are somewhat flawed. Gerard's character, Mike, is the security to the President, his wife and his son. Unfortunately, something happens (which was kind of predictable). The car the president and his wife are in spirals out of control after a crash and ends up leaning off a bridge (the car wasn't really going fast mind you. The driver must have sped the car up instead of slowed it down after the car in front got hit). Unfortunately, a tragic accident occurs to which Mike had tried to help in, and 18 months later, it see's that Mike has been taken off the security, purely because his face reminds the president of that tragic day... ah wha? Now I'm not saying these are the only flaws of the movie, because there are spots here and there that don't add up, but if you try, you can just ignore them and enjoy the film.

The premise of the film is that the Koreans come to the United States and end up taking control of the white house. They leave a mess behind to do it too, mind you. They take control, and their aim is to try and make the United States as vulnerable as Korea has been in its time, what with poverty and pain occurring everyday in some places. The only one who can try and stop them however, is... Mike. And don't get me wrong, this is no doubt one movie Gerard was suited for, and his performance really pulls you in from the middle to end.

This movie tended to be surprising in some cases, because there were a lot of moments where I thought "this is going to happen, I know it" and before I knew it..... it didn't happen. So that was a nice change.

As for Morgan Freeman's performance, as much as I like the guy, I'm kind of wondering what the point of his character was. I mean, he came into the film, did a bit of commanding, and then went out again... barely no backstory to his character. In fact, one part of his character made me think "well that escalated quickly". See if you can guess which part.

Another big name is Aaron Eckhart, who you might remember as Two-Face in The Dark Knight. It was weird to not see his character turn out to be a villain like in TDK, even though I half expected him to just come out and go "Hi. I'm two-face". However, he played the role of a President quite well, even if there are a few kinks into his story.

Overall, with great action sequences, some surprising moments and great performances, Olympus Has Fallen deserved my money... even if there are some moments that make no sense... for example: is it REALLY this easy to take down the white house? Cause if so... damn...
  62. Apr 22, 2013
    It's cliche-ridden in almost every corner, but enjoyable for what it is. Just turn off your brain. Starts off high-octane, but ultimately could have used more action. Not because it is utterly lacking, but because it has little other substance to offer. Oh, and if you are Korean, you are going to LOVE the ultra-bad "Korean" accents.
  63. Apr 24, 2013
    Olympus Has Fallen. Some good things about it and some bad. The bad first, ridiculus plot with some very cringe worthy American propaganda, dodgy special effects and will easily be bettered by the upcoming "White House Down". However there is some good points with a great cast and some interesting shots from director Antoine Fuqua. The star however is the action which is crazy and surprisingly hard edged. Its like watching a reboot of an 80's Steven Segal movie and a potential future guilty pleasure! Expand
  64. Apr 25, 2013
    Although it suffers from a slow buildup, I found the action quite good and overall it had a nice Die Hard feel to it. The story suffers from some clichés, however, and I felt it difficult to believe such an attack would be so easy but after a while I was hooked.
  65. Apr 27, 2013
    A good action movie full of Gerard Butler's role is good I liked it and as always Starring Morgan Freeman doing another excellent Aaron Eckhart is not far behind as U.S. president
  66. Apr 30, 2013
    This film was great for me it was the die hard film we didn't get in February really good acting and action it was everything I wish for in a action movie. I would definitely see it again. See I have no idea why people are moaning about this film I think people are really angry recently every film what has been out recently getting awful reviews everybody must be on their periods or summit
  67. May 3, 2013
    Olympus has fallen is the first of the big White House action to pieces to be released this year, followed by White House Down later on. While there is plenty to see and enough action to please the masses, the film isn't without its problems.
    Gerard Butler takes the lead as Mike Branning, a secret service agent of the President Asher's (Aaron Eckhart) personal detail who after a tragic
    accident is working in the treasury office job 18 months later, missing his old job. Business continues as normal throughout the White House, but an air assault from a rogue aircraft begins to shoot up most of Washington, on its way to the White House.
    Branning makes his way towards the White House, now a graveyard of unfortunate victims, and of course now under siege.
    When he eventually makes contact with the outside world, he is tasked with rescuing the Presidents son who hasn't been seen since the events unfolded, and he then must try his best to save the President, who has problems of his own inside the Presidents bunker.
    Olympus does have all the brass to be one of the most enjoyable popcorn films of the year..and it should be, save for a view errors that cannot be brushed aside.
    Gerard Butler, through no fault of his own, is quite wooden throughout the film..he didn't really have a whole lot to say and his funny moments were just simply a few swear words to many, his acting is great and he looks tough, but his dialogue and character development suffered in the process. This was an ongoing problem throughout the film, there was a lot of characters to know about but enough to remember them. Morgan Freeman, again didn't have a lot to do but call the shots for a while, but Melissa Leo had the the most memorable lines as Secretary of Defence Ruth McMillan, delivering an exciting and fiery performance.
    Dylan McDermott continues to shine in his limited roles onscreen, he was excellent in The Campaign and succeeds in creating a powerful character in this film as Secret Service agent Dave Forbes.
    It's exciting to see a large talented cast come together, and in this case an explosive and fast-paced thrill has been created that certainly isn't without it's problems, but is definitely worth an entertaining two hours of your time
  68. May 10, 2013
    Great acting. Great effects. Great story. Quality film. The story kept me watching, and i nevere got tired of it. Very exciting. Cant wait til it comes out on dvd!
  69. May 21, 2013
    This movie brings up memories from the past(Die Hard 1...), it's an ok action picture with decent acting, but it doesn't have single original thing, plot little bit generic! Overall good time.
  70. Jun 9, 2013
    Very intense and very violent. Its a pretty good movie but it needs more story to it and a better plot. The action was very successful and the actors played good parts to the characters. Overall it was a good movie.
  71. Jun 27, 2013
    The Navy Admiral SHOULD have died before giving his code. The "Madaam" Secretary would have died before giving her code. "Send in the Seals"? They should have sent the Army Rangers... Ah well. Hollywood is seldom right. Still, a good action flick with a capable protagonist.
  72. Jun 28, 2013
    Plenty of great action but a bit formulaic. I also get sick of these scenarios where the President has to decide between the lives of people close to him and the lives of billions of people. Shouldn't this be a no-brainer?
  73. Jun 29, 2013
    its a good action movie with advanced gun fights and well written script.they were some loop holes such as even after Bulter resigned from secret service his access were not removed.Fight scenes and acting is quite professional.Certainly worth the money and time i spend.End is bit an american propaganda but its an Hollywood movie so deal with it.
  74. Jun 29, 2013
    Is this a Die Hard movie, yes. Is there cheesy dialogue, yes. Is there some sub par CGI, yes. Is this a fun time, absolutely. When people talk about brainless action movies this is what they mean. Unlike movies like the Expendables or Die Hard 5 this film had a story that was at least interesting.
  75. Jul 5, 2013
    Good cast, really one of those action movies thats a "one man army" deal but then again it has good action scenes, pretty good concept idea, I didn't mind it all, the average action movie junkie would be enticed, and wet their whistle with pro America, pro government clichés. Americans would most likely dig this movie, I'm not American but i did enjoy it. definitely worth a watch.
  76. Jul 5, 2013
    Antoine Fuqua's back catalogue is a bizarre mixture of intelligent film-making and mindless, yet enjoyable drivel. Olympus Has Fallen is firmly rooted in the latter, foregoing any smarts it could have had and coming out the other side as a ridiculously overblown action movie that I tried hard not to like, but was tough to completely resist.

From the opening sequence onwards, it's clear
    that the focus here is most definitely not the characters. Dialogue is dry and cheesy, character development largely non-existent and the score excessively emphasised. There's no room for misinterpretation and it soon becomes clear that any part of the film that is not made up of action is just filler, inserted purely for the purpose of providing the odd breather from the gunplay and explosions. To make matters worse, the drama is often so bad that moments intended to be heartfelt frequently result in laughter, rather than the intended response. These factors combined should result in a flick that's borderline unwatchable, but somehow they don't.

Make no mistake, this is one of those instances where something is so bad that it's almost good. The abject lack of attention to realism is staggering and leads to the conclusion that it must be at least partly deliberate. Fans of the genre will find a great deal to enjoy, as almost the entire running time is packed with explosives and countless rounds of ammunition. The body count within the first hour alone dwarfs that of many of its contemporaries and, whilst it may leave a bad taste for some, is all geared towards creating the most ridiculous spectacle you'll have seen in a while.

Gerard Butler excels in this kind of role, drawing on his experiences from Gamer and Law Abiding Citizen amongst others. It's all 'duty' this and 'duty' that, with next to nothing in the way of motivation. It's remarkably vacuous, but ultimately conforms to the aesthetic of the movie without fault. It's also refreshing in some ways that the evil doers are not Russian for a change, but in all honesty, they may as well be, with the plot taking the same painfully predictable path that is par for the course, given the nature of the flick.

This isn't a picture that's going to be winning awards any time soon. It will also be a huge turn off for some. However, for those who enjoy spectacle above all else, you could definitely do worse than the raging fireballs and dimwitted melodrama that are on offer here.
  77. Jul 5, 2013
    If your a action buff your enjoy it but if you want a serious movie don't waste your time watching it because your wont enjoy it. Cheesy plot decent action and typical over the top bs type action scenes.
  78. Jul 10, 2013
    Olympus Has Fallen is an effective action movie. It's humorous, the lead character is immensely likeable, and the action delivers. Lower your standards a little for this and you'll have a good time.
  79. Aug 12, 2013
    "Olympus Has Fallen" exhausts itself even without the burden of originality. The White House is under attack, and John McClain still isn't available he is still recouping from his recent disastrous installment to the "Die Hard" franchise. Everything in this movie, credited to writers Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt, is seemingly directly taken from the action classic "Die Hard" (1988). Having a man on the inside is one thing but to the bumbling idiots in authority, the rooftop adventure gone bad, the hero mistaking a bad guy for a good guy... it's a hostage movie alright, a storyline almost completely lifted from the 1988 classic starring Bruce Willis.

A group of North Korean militants launch an attack on Washington D.C. and manage to take over the White House. President Asher (Aaron Eckhart), the Vice President (Phil Austin), and the Secretary of Defense (Melissa Leo), are held hostage in the emergency bunker beneath the now ruined White House. The militants' leader Kang (Rick Yune) demands now acting President Trumbull (Morgan Freeman), for the withdrawal of American troops from the DMZ and the Seventh Fleet from the far Pacific.

But Kang hasn't reckoned with Mike Banning (Gerard Butler), a Secret Service agent who was reassigned to a desk job months earlier after failing to save the life of the First Lady (Ashley Judd, in what amounts to a little more than a cameo) in an auto accident. He witnesses the assault on the White House and gets involved, eventually winding up as the sole defender inside the White House. As a former Navy Seal, he systematically eliminates most of the remaining terrorists by breaking more necks than I could count, while also using a gun, a knife, and his mighty fists of patriotism. Banning is the ultimate one-man army who easily puts Jon McClain to shame.

There are too many ridiculous plot elements to call into question, and it would take away from the flag-waving premise of the movie. The only point is to put Butler in situations where he can kick some serious terrorist ass for truth, justice, and protecting the American way. To be fair, the action is well filmed, but also quite violent and graphic while mysteriously lacking any real blood or gore.

Envision grounding "Air Force One," moving it inside of The White House, giving it the story of "Die Hard," with the laughable characters and ridiculous screenplay of "Red Dawn," and presto, I give you "Olympus Has Fallen." It's dreadful, noisy, and ludicrous, not even worth the effort to assess it for future guilty pleasure enjoyment. All that's missing is an "Air Force One" style retort like "Get out of my HOUSE!"
  80. Aug 1, 2013
    The plot is incredibly generic Your typical enemy forces invade the US and now it's up to one guy to stop them all and save the day. Sort of a mix between Die Hard and Rambo but no where near as good as the two. The plot is very lacking and only explains the essentials, No real story to it, It's more of a crutch to help fill in where there isn't any action.

The generic and poor
    dialogue also hurts the acting. While Eckhart gives a decent performance, Butler and Freeman were very disappointing. Mostly because despite the two hour run time, None of the three are given much dialogue in the film.

Olympus Has Fallen is really action heavy, All flash and no substance really. While the actions scenes are fine, No real complaints about them, it's just not enough to keep me in my seat, Especially during the second half of the film. During the last 40 or so minutes, I was just so sick and tired of watching it, I simply wanted it to end.

The biggest flaw of the film, aside from the poor dialogue, is the terrible long run time. Is a 2 hour run time really need for a film with pretty much no plot and dialogue what so ever? They easily could have cut this film down to an hour and 40 minutes and it would have been much more bare-able to sit through. Heck, I probably would have given it a high score if it had been shorter but sadly it wasn't.

Overall, The long run time and incredibly generic plot/dialogue were a really killer for this movie. However, The long action scenes through out almost make it bare-able to watch...almost.
  81. Aug 5, 2013
    Do Americans ever get tired of their own self centered patriotic BS? Apparently not coz they even made 2 clone movies (the other being White House Down). For us non-Americans most fun can be had from watching the white house get shot to smithereens, the president getting beat up and the military and secret service being portrayed as the bunch of incompetent little monkeys they are. They made this on a tight budget (70m$) by todays standards and you can tell that they skimped on the VFX (helicopters and destruction looks a bit CG) and on the script. Maybe the rest of the world was thinking what I was thinking coz outside of the US the film made little money. Hey, maybe consumers are getting smart and are starting to vote with their wallet. If this trend continues they'll maybe start making intelligent movies...nah, who are we kidding Expand
  82. Aug 8, 2013
    This one has its problems. The story drags at parts and a lot of the performances are underwhelming. However, I dug the story, the action is decent and the movie has a great villain. The film lacks a certain "wow factor" that other action films have but it's not a bad view.
  83. Aug 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was actually a lot better than I expected it to be. It had a lot of bloody violence, and the survival count of people that were taken hostage was 4. This was good fun, but definitely not for the squeamish. Expand
  84. Aug 14, 2013
    Better than it has a right to be, given the outlandish plot, and the fact that the entire security force of the White House is shot to pieces, but our lonegun hero barely gets winged. The cast is uniform as they go through their paces, the ever resourceful Gerald Butler, the gruff Prez Aaron Eckhart, the stalwart temp Prez Morgan Freeman, and so on..nice to see Melissa Leo and Robert Forster (doing his best Robert Loggia) in supporting roles. And the action is well directed, and Mr. Fuqua keeps the tension well placed throughout. Just look out for giant screaming cliches (not one, but two machines of extreme destruction), and an out right steal from the Die Hard playbook, the bad guy posing as good. And do you think Butler saves the world with only 3 seconds to spare??? Don't hurt yourself guessing... Expand
  85. Jun 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really, really stupid plot. Action and CGI were fine but the plot did this movie in. Way too many convenient plot points like all of the three code holders in the same place. And letting the South Korean delegation in the bunker is just beyond the pale. How did the bad guys know so much? And how were they able to gain advanced U.S. weaponry. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Expand
  86. Aug 18, 2013
    Overly dramatic; been there, done that. Yet, I sat through it fully entertained. Another movie suggesting that the White House has the security level of a fast food chain. Butler knows action like Freeman knows drama. I do not particularly enjoy movies with unrealistic plotlines, but a strong cast certainly made the difference in this one.
  87. Aug 22, 2013
    I just watched on demand and this is totally the worst film I have seen in a decade. I watched right through 'til almost the end when "the President" gives a speech that is laughable, really embarrassing. Had to turn it off right then. It just breaks my heart that millions of dollars were wasted on this unoriginal and really silly premise. The writer(s) should be ashamed. The dialogue was simply dreadful. What a waste. Expand
  88. Aug 25, 2013
    Action movies can be good when there is also a plot going on, but this movie completely fails at this. The flimsy story is a secondary attraction to the non sop gun shooting and explosions. It is incredibly boring to watch.
  89. Aug 27, 2013
    The script is lazy and stupid with huge plot holes just to support the story and "drama". It seems like a good action movie only because of all the mass murdering at the attack. Then it had the chance to be a Die Hard remake but failed it. It's only merit that the evil terrorist guys wasn't Muslims this time.
  90. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A decent class B action movie from the mid-90's. In 2013 looks like a pure comedy, really, except for some propagandistic and dangerous moments (Middle-East celebrates the attack on the White House, Russia and China mobilize their forces, etc.). Brainwashing at its worst. As to the action, it's not bad, but too many violence and desintegrated civilians (to provoke the righteous anger among the audience, I guess). The rest is cliche, cliche, cliche. Cliche again. And again...And continuous insult on the common sense. Just to name the few (of quite a many) cargo aircraft shooting down the F-22 interceptors, transport helicopters storming the AA emplacement, elite White House security guards brainlessly rushing on machine guns, the apocalyptic Cerberus device, DETONATING, not just destroying, all nuclear warheads (what's the point of creating such a system, except for turning USA into the nuclear wasteland???), the top-secret military protocol, of which even North-Korean terrorists are aware up to details...Well. This movie's worth of a single run, but I urge you not to take it seriously. And I'm really disappointed in Morgan Freeman, who I did respect very much, especially for the quite intelligent "Through the Wormhole" series. Expand
  91. Aug 31, 2013
  92. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. After seeing both White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen, I can confidently say that though the idea is the same of terrorists taking over the Whitehouse, both directors (Roland Emmerich and Antoine Fuqua) made the movies extremely different.

The movie starts by showing President Benjamin Asher (Aaron Eckhart) and his family at Camp David. Within the first five minutes or so in the movie we can clearly tell that Benjamin and Mike Banning (Gerard Butler, Head of Secret Service) are great friends in and out of work. On the way back from the retreat it is snowing very badly in basically blizzard type weather. Out of nowhere we see a big tree hit the President's Escalade and the van starts to swerve off the road. As all of the Secret Service are trying to pull the car back onto the road, they are able to get the president out, but not his wife gruesomely passes away. Mike takes full credit of this and resigns from his job. Almost two years later he decides to reapply for a job in the Secret Service. He is sitting at his desk when he sees an unknown jet shoot down two American jets and begin open firing on civilians and soon, the White House. Meanwhile President Asher is meeting with Prime Minister Lee (Keong Sim) and aside him, Kang Yeonsak (Rick Yune) who are at the White House during the attack. Kindly Mr. Asher takes them to the bunker along with McMillan, Rodriguez, and others. From there on, a turn of rather predictable events occur such as Koreans turning on Americans and much more.

I thought that from there forward, Olympus Has Fallen was extremely gory which in my opinion was not necessary at all. Seeing the guts inside one of the hostage’s neck was not necessary to cause the same audience reaction of fear.

Overall I think that Faqua picked a great cast of actors and actresses and they played their roles at the best of their ability. I honestly do not think that White House Down was better than Olympus Has Fallen or vice versa. I do recommend you see this movie though just go into it with a little bit of caution because there are times where I cringed at the gory scenes.

The deciding factor of which movie the audience would rather see though basically is would you rather see a comedy action movie (White House Down) or an action thriller (Olympus Has Fallen).
  93. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Olympus Has Fallen is probably one of my favorite political thrillers of all time. The suspense, action, disaster sequences, likable characters, etc. makes for a solid film with little going wrong in it. A few "why did they do that" moments, with some tighter plot lines could've done the trick to make this better, but other than that, it hits the mark on all levels. This movie took me back to John McTiernan's 1988 action thriller "Die Hard". This movie had all of the Die hard characteristics we all know and love, and in my opinion, was better than the newest installment to the series! Unlike that film, this movie had tight spaces, a lone ranger in a hostage situation, and even went lengths to feature one of the villains pretending to be a good guy, and is offered cigarettes, just like in 1988. Gerard Butler puts on a solid performance, and leaves me wanting more. A bunch of witty one liners are packed into a superb script by Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt. My favorite line: "Here's a game we can play. It's called "Go F**k Yourself". You go first." A couple of funny moments and much drama and action make this an excellent thriller. And, to top it off, this movie has Morgan Freeman. Plus! Expand
  94. Sep 18, 2013
    First, let me say that I truly enjoyed this movie. It was fun, fast paced, and overall filled with some fun twists and turns. The characters are interesting, and decently developed (i.e. they won't win character development awards but they are believable in the movie's context).

The film features a low-frequency heavy DTS-MA audio track, with solid explosions, 360º range of bullet fire,
    and generally clear dialogue (a bit low on the volume scale for my tastes but with "night mode" on my receiver, it brought this a bit more in line). The movie was fun and kept me interested, whether as I was ducking under my coffee table with the sound of a bullet flying by or my breathing slowing as the character sneaks.

The video was good, presented in a well saturated 1080P. It was generally a dark movie though filled with some bright moments. For this reason it may be best to watch the movie in a dark room or at night so that the textures in the darkness aren't washed out by sunlight on the TV.

Overall, while enjoyable this movie isn't something I would go back to. The movie was good, and features a Die Hard-esque plot (one man vs. incredible odds) which is predictable once you get a quarter of the way into the movie. The characters are fun and they had my interest, but I never found myself truly "routing" for any characters. I couldn't get behind them fully as I never felt I understood the villains motives. The plot just kind of drops the motive on you and keeps going without any build up or solid explanation.

While the plot had it's weaknesses, it was fun, enjoyable and a fresh action romp that will keep those looking for a fun action movie without too much depth satisfied.
  95. Sep 25, 2013
    A straightforward predictable action movie. Think of all the action cliches known to man, now throw them all together and restore Aaron Eckharts' face. You have Olympus Has Fallen. Not boring, but not exciting. Morgan Freeman and Aaron Eckhart do provide some relief from all the explosions and gunfights by giving good performances. But it's not enough to save the whole 2 hour movie
  96. Sep 27, 2013
    What are Gerrard Butler and Morgan Freeman doing in this movie?
    Surely Hollywood can find something better to do with its investment Dollars?
    There are good movies to be made out there!
    Unbelievable tawdry hackneyed plodding but mostly totally unbelievable rubbish

Gerrard takin the moolah ain't always the right career move
  97. Oct 10, 2013
    Butler is a good actor but the plot makes suspension of disbelief impossible, the action has nothing special and the ending is very predictable. Prefer to watch the Die Hard trilogy again.
    argonautis.eu
  98. Oct 6, 2013
    Decent action and effects. Acting is okay. Plot is ludicrous and the way the Secret Service and the Capitol Police were portrayed were... unbelievable and ridiculously stupid. Some of the effects were very obviously fake but thankfully only some since most were done fairly well.
  99. Nov 5, 2013
    Gerrard Butler, I salute you! Both Butler and Freeman make this an engaging, fast paced action movie work well. Contrary to many incredibly intelligent reviewers (:D) I'm not of the opinion that every element of a movie should conform to the realms of plausibility If only insurgency operations were executed as well as this! I'd like to agree with a few reviews that strike resemblances to the 80's action movie era, to any movie lovers who say all to often "They just don't make em like they used to".. it's worth a watch, and it's on Netflix! Expand
  100. Nov 5, 2013
    Ugh. I've seen the same actors do well in other productions; in this movie, every scene is overacted to the extreme. Never mind the terrible contrieved, inconsistent and unrealistic plot, I believe the director is to blame here. Where else would the actors have gotten the idea to suddenly underperfom like that? As other reviewers have pointed out, trite cliches abound. I am shocked and disappointed that a sequel is in the works. Then again, it could hardly be worse. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Guy Lodge
    Apr 29, 2013
    The thrills and the effects are cheap, but this is in hard-driving, good-humoured command of its own silliness.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Apr 19, 2013
    Part of the weirdness of this film lies in the fact that the tense North Korean situation in the real world gives it no realism or satirical edge, or prophetic authority of any kind.
    Olympus Has Fallen is a disgusting piece of work, but it certainly hits its marks — it makes you sick with suspense.