5.8

1. Jun 29, 2013
    Cliché, cheesy, inane, boring, predictable all could be used to sum up this horrible movie. It sucked, and I want my money back. Because this is America, and when things suck you should be able to get your $8 back.

I mean, I'm all about suspending disbelief in watching a movie. But Let's face it, if the only three people in the world with the detonation codes for every single nuclear missile were all being held hostage by a terrorist in the White House bunker which just happened to be the only place in the world where the detonation codes could be changed well, I feel pretty confident the order would be given to storm the White House and kill everyone in it including the President. And if the cops and the Navy SEALS couldn't handle this task, I feel pretty sure every one of us gun toting rednecks would swarm on the White House and demolish it to the ground in about 15 minutes.

And speaking of stupid, how about that super dooper gun turret they somehow miraculously smuggled into the White House and strategically placed on the roof such that it could shoot down 6 Navy SEAL helicopters??? OMFG! STOOOPID! This movie was Die Hard on steroids. Lame lame lame lame lame, and again, lame. Of course they cap the whole thing off with the proverbial ticking time bomb at the end that our hero just manages to deactivate at the last second, saving us all from certain doom.

What has the American population become that they would try to pass off an utterly inane and stupid piece of malarkey like this movie on us as an even marginally plausible scenario for a terrorist attack never-mind having only one goober inside able to thwart the attack and we as Americans don't stand up en masse and demand our freakin' money back for this garbage?? Cheesy!
  2. Apr 9, 2013
    A competent action flick, perfectly slotted for pre-summer release. Various plot devices are hardly believable, but you just go with it in this type of movie. Predictable, but fun.
  3. Nov 5, 2013
    Ugh. I've seen the same actors do well in other productions; in this movie, every scene is overacted to the extreme. Never mind the terrible contrieved, inconsistent and unrealistic plot, I believe the director is to blame here. Where else would the actors have gotten the idea to suddenly underperfom like that? As other reviewers have pointed out, trite cliches abound. I am shocked andUgh. I've seen the same actors do well in other productions; in this movie, every scene is overacted to the extreme. Never mind the terrible contrieved, inconsistent and unrealistic plot, I believe the director is to blame here. Where else would the actors have gotten the idea to suddenly underperfom like that? As other reviewers have pointed out, trite cliches abound. I am shocked and disappointed that a sequel is in the works. Then again, it could hardly be worse. Expand
  4. Jul 2, 2013
    it could be worse and i guess if you can stand another "oh my god we are all victims" super patriotic US movie you can live with it as popcorn movie i guess.
    for the others its 2003ish jack bauer 10 years too late. we have seen everything here better. i left after having watched 70% of the movie.. not worth the lifetime.
  5. Jul 18, 2013
    This is everything that Die Hard 5 should've been. An all out, over the top, ridiculous action movie, yet is somehow manages to pull it off and give you a thoroughly entertaining experience. With a great cast consisting of Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart and Morgan Freeman they really make this film work. Olympus Has Fallen deals with a North Korean led guerrilla assault, led by former BondThis is everything that Die Hard 5 should've been. An all out, over the top, ridiculous action movie, yet is somehow manages to pull it off and give you a thoroughly entertaining experience. With a great cast consisting of Gerard Butler, Aaron Eckhart and Morgan Freeman they really make this film work. Olympus Has Fallen deals with a North Korean led guerrilla assault, led by former Bond villain Rick Yune, on the White House, where it's left to a guilt ridden Secret Service agent Mike Banning (Butler) to stop the terrorists and save the President (Eckhart.) It's definitely not an original idea but that doesn't prevent you from enjoying the film. It's a heart pounding, adrenaline filled action adventure that seems to take certain inspiration from classics like Die Hard and Under Siege. As unrealistic as it is. The film is very well acted. Morgan Freeman just doesn't deliver an average performance and that's no different here. Eckhart is believable as the idealist President. Yune was a smart and solid choice as the villain of the piece but it's Butler who rediscovers his form. He has had some shockers recently but this is very much normal business resumed. He thrives as an action star and this may just re-ignite him in that area because he gives a superb showing here. Let's be clear it won't win any Academy Awards. But in terms of action it's packed to the limit, adrenaline fuelled, fist pumping, roller-coaster ride that is pure entertainment. Expand
  6. Aug 10, 2013
    I tried really, really hard to make it past the first half-hour, but it just wasn't possible. After convincing myself that the terrible dialog was just a brief device to get to the action, and suppressing snickers at the awful character stereotypes, the action arrived and it was just awful.

Really, a C-130 is almost immune to any attack and can take out half a metropolitan center with strafing runs? Yikes. Almost every single element was too much to swallow, and I had to say no before a half-hour was up.
  7. Oct 18, 2013
    This is a movie so bad, I actually began writing this review while watching it. I'm all for pointless action, but the cliched plot and absolutely implausible takeover of the White House is near maddening. An army of Koreans sneak into the United States, some disguised as delegates who are mysteriously allowed to carry weapons within the White House, manage to capture the President.This is a movie so bad, I actually began writing this review while watching it. I'm all for pointless action, but the cliched plot and absolutely implausible takeover of the White House is near maddening. An army of Koreans sneak into the United States, some disguised as delegates who are mysteriously allowed to carry weapons within the White House, manage to capture the President. Meanwhile, the Secret Service, the men and women who are arguably the best trained agents in the world, run mindlessly into the open to take stray bullets from all directions. It's insane how badly this movie is set up from the beginning. It's not just bad, it's insulting. It's doesn't ever try to be funny like it's Jamie Fox counterpart. Expand
  8. Jun 1, 2013
    Antoine Fuqua knows how to display brutality in a film, be it physical or psychological and Olympus Has Fallen is bloody and traumatic but overall its a colossal waste of time, money and a plethora of talented actors. The film follows Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) who was the president's lead bodyguard until a tragic accident leaves him warming the bench. However when armed terrorists layAntoine Fuqua knows how to display brutality in a film, be it physical or psychological and Olympus Has Fallen is bloody and traumatic but overall its a colossal waste of time, money and a plethora of talented actors. The film follows Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) who was the president's lead bodyguard until a tragic accident leaves him warming the bench. However when armed terrorists lay siege to the White House Mike must prove himself by saving not only the president but his son, a young boy who went missing when the gunfire started. Olympus avoids the many action cliches that ruin many a film but in doing so it fails to create any sense of suspense. Everything that happens is without any sense of jeopardy due to the way Mike is shown, he is a killing machine. The film has no tension so therefore it lacks a tone and its looks can be described by just saying the word brown, the film is dark, dingy and dirty and not in a good way, the film is miserably shot. Everything about the film is murky, hard to see and depressing, even in the uplifting moments. It's a film that because of its story is exceptionally bloody but it never really justifies the excessive brutality so by the end the main hero is essentially a sadist and an effective one at that considering he kills a small army in this film. They even attempt to justify his hero status with a girlfriend (Rhada Mitchell) who is literally there to service a plot point that isn't even successfully conveyed. They try a little harder by making him good with kids (because what kind of sociopath would be nice to a child is what I imagine the logic behind this was) as he protects the President's (Aaron Eckhart) son but even this doesn't mesh with the one man army the film is showing you, in fact by the end of the film Banning comes off as a highly trained, highly intelligent serial killer, only he doesn't have to hide any of his crimes. The film is populated with characters so badly written that they are completely unsympathetic. When the President gets threatened you kinda hope they kill him, to be honest, he really deserves it by the end. Melissa Leo gives good tough gal as the Secretary of Defense and Morgan Freeman comes in to literally order coffee and sit and relax. It's a film so remarkably stupid in its writing that the only enjoyable moments are the ones where they aren't talking but even the action fails to maintain your interest. In fact an action scene late into the movie is so hard to see that it sucks the life out of the ending and its a good 5 minute segment of blurry rubbish. It's a tone deaf mess of an action film that really could have been better. Expand
  9. Apr 8, 2013
    Olympus Has Fallen felt like a live-action version of a Call of Duty game. They ignore realism and go for as much shock and awe as possible. When I say they "ignore realism", I don't mean it looks or feels fake, I mean the major plot points that establish the premise are ridiculously unbelievable and all of the drama hinges on those points. It makes the very well done action sequencesOlympus Has Fallen felt like a live-action version of a Call of Duty game. They ignore realism and go for as much shock and awe as possible. When I say they "ignore realism", I don't mean it looks or feels fake, I mean the major plot points that establish the premise are ridiculously unbelievable and all of the drama hinges on those points. It makes the very well done action sequences tinge of disbelief because the scenario is flawed. As a matter of fact, all of the drama in the film suffers from these flaws. So why did I give it a not-so-terrible rating? Because Gerard Butler is such a BA that he makes this movie incredibly entertaining. The combat and fighting sequences were incredibly well done and the acting throughout, not just by Butler but really the entire cast, is great. The graphics and cinematic elements were done well also. Really, the only flaws in the film were story related but they had such a cascade effect that it hurt the entire film. Overall, I think most people would actually probably enjoy it because they wouldn't get quite as hung up on the minor details as I did but I expected more. Expand
  10. Oct 25, 2013
    Like alot have already said, it's quite Die Hard-esque, the attack sequences were pretty decent, but there's an element called "plausibility" that they punted and that makes this a one-time watch instead of a classic to view repeatedly. I do wonder, though, if Obama requested a Secret Service briefing to ensure such elements of attack couldn't be exploited.
  11. Jun 29, 2013
    The movie is so ludicrous and unrealistic on how it unfolds, that its hard to take anything seriously. Some thrills and action sequences can't make up for the slightly better Sci-Fi channel visual effects.
  12. Apr 29, 2013
    A B movie with an A-list cast of actors, they put in a yeomen-like effort but can't salvage the overly generic dialogue and plot. I love action, and that was done reasonably well without being anything special. As some have noted it's kinda like an old-school 80's action film with Gerald Butler standing in for Chuck Norris.
  13. Apr 23, 2013
    Watching this movie, i was constantly reminded of the film adaption of Tom Clancy's "The Sum of All Fears". Show America being hurt, throw in a male model built secret service agent, some shady, obviously evil baddies and Morgan Freeman. What made TSoAFs a superior film however, was that it always managed to maintain an atmosphere that kept you in doubt as to whether the US would escapeWatching this movie, i was constantly reminded of the film adaption of Tom Clancy's "The Sum of All Fears". Show America being hurt, throw in a male model built secret service agent, some shady, obviously evil baddies and Morgan Freeman. What made TSoAFs a superior film however, was that it always managed to maintain an atmosphere that kept you in doubt as to whether the US would escape intact, even though the film viewer in us kept telling ourselves that of course it would. "Olympus has Fallen" never keeps you in doubt that America will come out on top and stronger than ever, or that Aaron Eckhart will come out with his face still in presentable condition. Some [one] good jokes and cathartic action sequences push this entirely unremarkable film up to a 5/10. Expand
  14. May 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I could only make it through about 30 minutes of this movie. The premise is unbelievable-- somehow a lone aircraft sneaks past all our technologies and takes out several F/A-18s-- this is followed by ground troops appearing in D.C. and several spies in the white house taking out the S.S guarding the President. Of course, no explanation is give for how the ground troops (complete with tanks and trucks) somehow managed to enter our country, or how the spies somehow ended up in the bunker with the President and his personal guard.

To make this all even more unbelievable, the attackers are Korean. Now, wtf is Korea gonna do to the U.S.? Not a M.F. thing, that's what.

This film seems to rely on lots and lots of big gunfights-- there were several in the first half hour. Not only were they unimpressive, they were far from making up for the lack of coherent story.

The 2 is purely for the actors sake. If it wasn't for what I saw out of them, it would be a 0.
  15. Jun 30, 2013
    VERY PREDICTABLE! It only takes one main character to save the world.... Crap. There's nothing new that I have watched. The president will be saved no matter what lol if you want to feel good watch this cos it's like fairytale to me
  16. Jun 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really, really stupid plot. Action and CGI were fine but the plot did this movie in. Way too many convenient plot points like all of the three code holders in the same place. And letting the South Korean delegation in the bunker is just beyond the pale. How did the bad guys know so much? And how were they able to gain advanced U.S. weaponry. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Expand
  17. Nov 10, 2013
    A thoroughly racist, flag-waving action movie that inculcates the absurd notion of the secret service and capitol hill counter assault forces being overwhelmed by a small band of N. Korean terrorists. Sorry, not possible. Even taken in it's own insular reality and removing the integral political and racial themes, this movie blows hard and mainly borrows and steals it's plot arc andA thoroughly racist, flag-waving action movie that inculcates the absurd notion of the secret service and capitol hill counter assault forces being overwhelmed by a small band of N. Korean terrorists. Sorry, not possible. Even taken in it's own insular reality and removing the integral political and racial themes, this movie blows hard and mainly borrows and steals it's plot arc and action-sequences from forebears like the Die Hard series. Not that I was able to appreciate anything after the initially stupefying interpretation of how the capitol would be invaded, as numerically superior and well-fortified Secret Service forces are somehow slaughtered piecemeal, tactically outmaneuvered and out-marksmanned by terrorists marching in an easy to target crowd. Not to mention the archaic looking single war-plane able to dodge all gunfire and release an endless supply of smart missile jammers against the 1 anti-aircraft battery in all of Washington, D.C. Oh, and it's gunner somehow has perfect accuracy. So obnoxious, and the sad part is that there are people who could possibly believe this. Expand
  18. Dec 31, 2013
    A ridiculous rah rah American political movie that is a joke from start to finish. The anti terrorist sentiment rules every aspect with the righteousness of running rampant over every scene. Infantile and terribly predictable.
  19. Apr 7, 2013
    This movie was so bad it made me create a profile and write a review. This is my first. This is a horrible movie, so transparent in plot and so lacking in style I actually laughed al the way through it. This is a thin and badly made façade to demonise North Korea to justify the US Government going to war. The imagery was so crude that America is good and NK so bad I laughed, a five yearThis movie was so bad it made me create a profile and write a review. This is my first. This is a horrible movie, so transparent in plot and so lacking in style I actually laughed al the way through it. This is a thin and badly made façade to demonise North Korea to justify the US Government going to war. The imagery was so crude that America is good and NK so bad I laughed, a five year old could see through it. Avoid, for the love of god and country avoid. This movie deserves to go down in history as a piece of crude propaganda that Goebbels would be proud of. Expand
  20. Mar 22, 2013
    It's essentially the first Die Hard meets Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2... (and actually, it was way better than that most recent stinky entry in the Die Hard franchise).
  21. Apr 14, 2013
    Laughable plot, careless CGI, anticlimactic ending, and uninteresting characters. I wanted to enjoy myself, but I just couldn't get past all the mindlessness. Watch at your own rate.
  22. Mar 31, 2013
    Simply awful, acting is very poor and topic has been done to death. Needed more to be orginal but it fell short shame really, I felt rather disapointed I was expecting more.
  23. Apr 9, 2013
    A movie that bring the audience right back to 80's action movies. Crappy effects, unbelievable plot and over the top action sequences. This is the recipe to a good old action movie, simple yet many other movies have failed at it like the last stand. Great movie for good old mindless fun.
    I dot think this movie is gonna wipe the oscars but is certainly worth a matinee price.
  24. Mar 25, 2013
    Prepare to have your intelligence insulted. Admittedly I saw this on a "guys night out" and I was the only one who hated it in our group of four. That's no excuse for such a steaming pile of Hollywood poo. Its so over the top its better as a parody of action flicks rather than an action flick in its own right. (We need the Mystery Science Theater guys to talk over this one.) I want my ninePrepare to have your intelligence insulted. Admittedly I saw this on a "guys night out" and I was the only one who hated it in our group of four. That's no excuse for such a steaming pile of Hollywood poo. Its so over the top its better as a parody of action flicks rather than an action flick in its own right. (We need the Mystery Science Theater guys to talk over this one.) I want my nine bucks and two hours back. Expand
  25. Apr 5, 2013
    Not good. Not good at all. This was the single most over hyped movie I have seen since The Dark Knight Rises. The cgi sucks, the acting is mediocre at best, and it's incredibly boring and tedious.
  26. Mar 23, 2013
    Truly a horrible movie. Not the actors' fault--they did well enough. Just a dumb plot with completely implausible elements. Don't watch this. You'd be better off staying home and watching re-runs of West Wing.
  27. Mar 24, 2013
    I can't believe I paid money to watch this movie. Absolutely terrible. The only reason I didn't give it a zero is because there were a few decent parts. If you are a remotely intelligent person you will find this movie's plot repulsive. It makes no sense at all, characters die for no reason, the CGI is awful, just a very poor movie.
  28. Mar 23, 2013
    This is a GREAT action movie. I'm judging it based on an action movie not a movie up for an oscar. It has a lot of cool action scenes, good plot, well acted and was intense. I think it is the perfect action movie.
  29. Mar 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. American hubris at it's most heavy handed (and not in the fun way). It goes beyond mere fantasy into nationalistic mutual masturbation. Every single American cliche is used. For example, as the Secretary of Defense is dragged to the top floor she says the Pledge of Allegiance to steel herself against the possibility of death. Machismo is satisfied in a number of ways with all female characters (except one) either beaten or killed. In the end, of course, America is united through astronomical blood sacrifice to be "reborn" and unified. Also, I am pretty sure that Morgan Freeman is wasted as a very weak Speaker of the House. It was almost comical, but so heavy handed and cliched that I couldn't even laugh. Expand
  30. Mar 22, 2013
    This is a great action movie. Reminiscent of the original Die Hard and Under Siege. Well acted, high body count and well paced, the film never gets preachy or off topic. Not believable, but still a great experience and still better than the other action movies that have come out this year.

1. Reviewed by: Guy Lodge
    Apr 29, 2013
    The thrills and the effects are cheap, but this is in hard-driving, good-humoured command of its own silliness.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Apr 19, 2013
    Part of the weirdness of this film lies in the fact that the tense North Korean situation in the real world gives it no realism or satirical edge, or prophetic authority of any kind.
    Olympus Has Fallen is a disgusting piece of work, but it certainly hits its marks — it makes you sick with suspense.