One Night with the King

8.4

1. C.H.
    Oct 20, 2006
    The imagery and wardrobe were awesome! The screenplay threw me off a couple of times but it stuck to the original story fairly well. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that Esther was too "American" for me. She did not even try to fake an accent. Being a big fan of Biblical epics, over all, I liked it. It will definitely join my collection when it comes out on DVD.
  2. BillS.
    Oct 13, 2006
    The cinematography, sets and costumes are beautiful. I particularly enjoyed the performances of Dupont, Goss, Noble Callis and Lister, though acting was strong throughout.
  3. LaDonnaT.
    Oct 16, 2006
    I loved this movie. The costumes, scenery and cinematography were excellent. It is certainly worth seeing. I will see this movie again!
  4. EvanE
    Oct 17, 2006
    The cinematography of the movie was amazing the plot is timeless. I recommend this to anyone who wants to see a epic tale about love and survival.
  5. KenG
    Oct 17, 2006
    Really a tale of two halves. The first half of movie is stiff and flat, and at times kind of corny. But it hits its stride in the second half and becomes a strong and compelling story. The second half is well enough done to make up for the weak first half. I have to admit I am not sure that I saw the same movie J.H did. For a Bible movie I thought this did an admirable job of keeping God Really a tale of two halves. The first half of movie is stiff and flat, and at times kind of corny. But it hits its stride in the second half and becomes a strong and compelling story. The second half is well enough done to make up for the weak first half. I have to admit I am not sure that I saw the same movie J.H did. For a Bible movie I thought this did an admirable job of keeping God out of it. Yes, there is some mention of God, but after all, it is kind of hard not to mention god in a bible story. But god is barely mention after the first half hour, and when he is, it is more an attempt to show that god and faith was a big part of these people's lives, then it is an attempt to celebrate or glorify God. For the most part this is a straight forward story of the people involved, and the actions that they took. Expand
  6. TyrellM.
    Oct 19, 2006
    Awesome movie! And I don
  7. VickjH
    Oct 22, 2006
    Awesome!!
  8. AllenF.
    Oct 28, 2006
    This movie in my opinion is one of the best and most memorable love stories of all time. Other than that, The custom, make up and the music is Oscar-worthy. I hope that it gets the acknolagement that it deserves.
  9. M-Stylez
    Oct 30, 2006
    Yes, this is definitely a great film, definitely worth the 10/10 ranking and worth my hard earned money. Do not listen to the established critics on this one. Ask any normal person who has seen this and you will get a better view of what this movie has to offer. [***SPOILERS***] One interesting artistic liberty the film makers added is that Esther's first boyfriend is castrated to be Yes, this is definitely a great film, definitely worth the 10/10 ranking and worth my hard earned money. Do not listen to the established critics on this one. Ask any normal person who has seen this and you will get a better view of what this movie has to offer. [***SPOILERS***] One interesting artistic liberty the film makers added is that Esther's first boyfriend is castrated to be a eunuch for the King. This plot point becomes really sad when Esther's ex tries to "rescue" her from becoming the queen. She is torn, because she has feelings for her ex but she must turn him down because she realizes that she can help her people more as the queen, rather than as a poor orphan (with a castrated boyfriend). I don't understand the PG rating at all. I guess the eunuch plot points merit this, but not really. The film should be rated G in my opinion. Expand
  10. DebbieG
    Nov 2, 2006
    Lovely movie, beautiful scenes. It left me wanting to see it again. Go see this movie on the big screen - it's worth it.
  11. JH.
    Oct 16, 2006
    I thought the movie was well put together. It really shows God's love for his people. The book of Esther is a book for Love and Redemption. God once again saves his people through the courage of a young lady whom he deemed as best suitable for the job.
  12. ChrisDesigner
    Oct 18, 2006
    Awesome flick...I'd see it again. The score was really great and I wouldn't mind buying the soundtrack. Inspiring and entertaining all in one! Great job guys!
  13. PamelaL.
    Oct 30, 2006
    This is a great film and should be seen by all. A great family film. It brings the Bible to life and makes you remember what is truly important in life. The actors and actresses did an outstanding job.
  14. RachealG.
    Oct 30, 2006
    I rarely go to the movies, but One Night With the King was a welcoming experience. It was sensual, thought provoking and drew me into the story, which has a tremendous lesson of courage. I have recommended it to all of my friends.
  15. DonnaLittle
    Oct 31, 2006
    Very clear and to the point with beautiful pageantry. Location, Location, Location. Timing is everything. "For such a time as this." This film was worth the wait. Listen for similar political issues of our time in the times of old. There really is nothing new under the sun. The film has all the qualities of classical film making. Like the film making giants Cecil B. DeMille and others. Very clear and to the point with beautiful pageantry. Location, Location, Location. Timing is everything. "For such a time as this." This film was worth the wait. Listen for similar political issues of our time in the times of old. There really is nothing new under the sun. The film has all the qualities of classical film making. Like the film making giants Cecil B. DeMille and others. Welcome back to a refreshing movie going experience! Expand
  16. MaryS.
    Apr 29, 2007
    Loved the movie, even though it was not exact, it is a great alternative to the horrible films that people praise so highly that are filled with nothing but adultery and people call them love stories. This movie is truly inspiring and it doesnt feel like it was "trying to hard" I'd recommened it to anyone, it was a blessing to watch and reminded me to trust God more.
  17. JanetF.
    Jun 2, 2007
    The evening I watched this movie I was so moved and encountered a life changing experience with God. Since then many people have said that they have noticed a change in me. I bought the movie & will treasure it for my lifetime!
  18. MarilynB.
    Aug 24, 2007
    I absolutely loved this movie. The actors and actresses, the scenery, the photography, the costumes, the music, all of it came together to present this Old Testament story in a way that kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen, even though I already know the story from the Bible. It is the only movie I have ever attended that received applause at the end of the showing.
  19. FotiniF.
    Sep 7, 2007
    I think film one night with the king must be one of the best and i would love to watch this film, thank u for very good service.
  20. RobertC.
    Nov 11, 2006
    One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Great on all levels: visually stunning (filmed at a remarkable ancient city in Inda, the set, and the costumes all were fantastic). The story is very compelling. Best of all, the movie captures the internal conflicts of the two main characters, Ester, who is forced to conceal her true identity ,and Xerces, who wrestles with the desire One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Great on all levels: visually stunning (filmed at a remarkable ancient city in Inda, the set, and the costumes all were fantastic). The story is very compelling. Best of all, the movie captures the internal conflicts of the two main characters, Ester, who is forced to conceal her true identity ,and Xerces, who wrestles with the desire to avenge his father's death by making war on the Greeks, has to deal with palace intrigues, and knows that Ester is keeping something from him. This movie is far superior to Big Studio offerings such as Troy. Thoroughly enjoyable. Expand
  21. VickjH
    Awesome!!
  22. CeliaS.
    Oct 15, 2006
    [***SPOILERS***] This amazing film epic is so much more than the story of a young orphan slave girl who becomes queen of an empire. It is a story of destiny and of unwavering hope in the midst of a world that was telling her she had no future. You will be inspired, encouraged and moved by the strength of this young lady's faith to believe and you will be swept into the story as you[***SPOILERS***] This amazing film epic is so much more than the story of a young orphan slave girl who becomes queen of an empire. It is a story of destiny and of unwavering hope in the midst of a world that was telling her she had no future. You will be inspired, encouraged and moved by the strength of this young lady's faith to believe and you will be swept into the story as you begin to believe along with her for her dream...the casting is excellent, the cinematography exceptional. As you watch this film, you cannot help but be touched by the feel of destiny and unlike many movies being made today, you will come out of the theater feeling uplifted and inspired!! Expand
  23. IndyJudy
    Oct 15, 2006
    I really enjoyed the movie and have been thinking about the story since I left the theatre. Just as Esther had a destiny, I believe that this movie causes you to think about your own destiny. Some commercial reviewers have not been overly impressed with the movie, but I totally disagree with them. I did not get weary watching this movie and I wonder why some critics did. The movie was I really enjoyed the movie and have been thinking about the story since I left the theatre. Just as Esther had a destiny, I believe that this movie causes you to think about your own destiny. Some commercial reviewers have not been overly impressed with the movie, but I totally disagree with them. I did not get weary watching this movie and I wonder why some critics did. The movie was very intriguing. Anyone who has an open heart and wants to hear a message that can cause you to search out your destiny should see this movie. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  24. MelissaK.
    Oct 18, 2006
    One Night With The King is an awesome movie! I saw it opening night, and I was blown away. The music, cast, and setting were all great, and it accurately portrays the life of Esther.
  25. FlorenceC.
    Dec 11, 2006
    Gave you some good historical Judeo background. Nice love story.
  26. j.l.s
    Oct 22, 2006
    This was an excellent movie. It exceeded my expectations. This would be a good date movie.
  27. SoniaE.
    Oct 28, 2006
    Great movie, great music, wonderful cast. Oscar-worthy.
  28. MalicsaP.
    Feb 12, 2007
    When I saw this movie, I fell in love with it. The plot, the characters, the costumes, were all so wonderful. This movie is so good. I give it 10 Stars and more!
  29. Dec 30, 2011
    Rarely have I been so disappointed in my own "instincts" to select a quality film for viewing, but "One Night With The King", sadly, falls into that category. And to be completely honest, as an owner of over 500 films, even more rare are those which had so little power to immerse ones interest as this supposed "epic" release.

Sporting a cast composed of Omar Sharif, John Noble, John

Sporting a cast composed of Omar Sharif, John Noble, John Rhys-Davies and Peter O'Toole one can scarcely imagine how a sure-shot collection of acting prowess could be wasted so thoroughly. John Sturges once propounded that the lead characters were not so critical to a quality film production as the support cast. Had he been alive to view this today, I have no doubt he would have considered retracting that claim. What may have been missing from that qualifier was the caveat "with skilled direction". So perhaps that was the main reason for such a dismal screenplay and non-cohesive production. I will definitely be "handicapping" directorship rather than cast in future film selections due to this disappointing experience.

As equally disheartening is the apparent fact that all a filmmaker needs to do to satisfy religious-based movie-goers is pen a script based on biblical storytelling and then provide enough cinematographic substance to support a basic plot. One can't help but wonder if this new generation of screen epic followers has ever felt or appreciated the timeless work of directors like William Wyler and Cecille B. DeMille... if for no other reason than to form a metric on which to gauge screening experiences. Fortunately, as previously mentioned, the camera work by the Steven Bernstein (yes, the actor... that's not a mistake) was more than adequate, although at times captured with dubious continuity. The level of authenticity and set design was just as capable which is possibly one of the reasons the Bible-belters received this presentation which such enthusiasm. It did LOOK pretty realistic.

So after 2 hours of enduring the tedious interplay of characters that seemed to be reading lines on a set in a parking lot rather than living a life in ancient Persia, it finally ended. By the grace of God, I might add. One can only imagine what must have gone through the minds of the renown cast members that really didn't NEED this project to feed their families or pay the rent or establish some level of notoriety. Perhaps they were feeling what I did while watching it... that just around the corner, in the next scene, for the following few minutes... by sheer will... the film could be saved... that it could be given that miraculous shot of adrenaline (or fairy dust!) to substantiate the prior suffering and squirming in the chair. All the hope in the world won't make it so. Not this time. :(

Those viewers who found anti-Semitism lurking under every stone in The Passion of the Christ may rejoice in this celebration of Jewish heroism; all others should rest assured that falling asleep in the cinema is not a mortal sin.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Leydon
    Blessed with abundant production values and a minimum of campy excess, One Night With the King is a surprisingly satisfying attempt to revive the Old Hollywood tradition of lavishly appointed Biblical epics aimed at mainstream auds.
  3. Reviewed by: Sam Adams
    There's not much joy in One Night With the King, a lavish but listless retelling of the biblical story of Esther.