6.0

1. Mitch
    Oct 9, 2006
    I went in with an open mind, but dang was that a boring movie. It was like 80 minutes in before I found anything mildly amusing. And even the mildly amusing part was only MILDLY amusing.
  2. Jun 11, 2011
    Let's face it. Pixar and Dreamworks Animation are still both the kings of CGI animations (Pixar's movies weren't bad. However, only one CGI movie from Dreamworks was bad, but some of their films turned out to be as good as Pixar's films). However, year after year, in the middle of the 2000s, other CGI animation studios tried to cash in by releasing their own CGI animated features. This isLet's face it. Pixar and Dreamworks Animation are still both the kings of CGI animations (Pixar's movies weren't bad. However, only one CGI movie from Dreamworks was bad, but some of their films turned out to be as good as Pixar's films). However, year after year, in the middle of the 2000s, other CGI animation studios tried to cash in by releasing their own CGI animated features. This is one of them and trust me, it was that bad and I was shocked to see that it was made by Roger Allers (director of Disney's The Lion King). (sigh) I'm going to talk about the plot first before I make my opinion and some of you already know what it was about.

Boog, a grizzly bear, lives in a perfect world with a park ranger named Beth. One day, he saves a deer named Elliot from a hunter and one night, he returns the favor by helping him escape from his owner. Realizing that Boog has reverted to his wild nature, she releases him in the woods before hunting season begins. Boog and Elliot make a bond not only for themselves but for the other animals in the forest as they rally them up to drive the hunters out of the forest.

This was the first CGI movie from Columbia Pictures and at their first try, they were unsuccessful. The characters were very annoying, the dialogue was just plain laughable, it had a lot of overused clichés and there were a lot of plot holes.

I will give Columbia Pictures credit for the CGI animation and art design, but they were overshadowed by a poorly written storyline, same old slapstick jokes, and really pathetic acting.

For the kids, it's worth watching, but as for others, it isn't. It's just a stupid CGI movie with no character and no plot at all. That is until it was followed by two sequels. Two sequels? Two sequels?! This clichéd, unfunny movie had two sequels?! Oh, goodie. I want to see how much they suck just like this one.

3. ScottC.
    Sep 26, 2006
    Been there. Done that.
  4. RobertT.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Lame.....boring.....not funny - pretty much sums it up. I can't help but compare all of these recent animations to Flushed Away which I truly loved. I must say though that this one was wayyyyyyy better than Barn Yard - I'm still trying to wash the taste of that one out of my mouth - Yeck!
  5. RichK.
    Sep 27, 2006
    Cute film for kids under 5. Not much there for anyone else.
  6. TravisG.
    Mar 9, 2007
    I really did not like this movie. I mean, its funny in 1 or 2 parts, but overall it just wasnt that funny.
  7. Jun 7, 2015
    Animais sabem muito bem agir no filme, esse é o problema, mas ao menos conseguem manter isso apenas entre os personagens com aspectos humanos apenas entre semelhantes sem corromper a realidade entre um animal e um humano.

1. Reviewed by: Gregory Kirshling
    The overfamiliar Open Season feels like just another CG 'toon in our 'toon-glutted times.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Rosenblatt
    Little more than paint-by-numbers filmmaking, and it fails in the most important charge of any children's movie: to transport its young and impressionable audience to a world where anything is possible, rather than to one where everything’s been thought of already.
  3. Reviewed by: Gregg Rickman
    On the plus side, Open Season enjoys a clear narrative, real rooting interest and good interspecies rapport. On the downside, there’s a surfeit of cruel bunny-rabbit gags.