Columbia Pictures | Release Date: September 29, 2006
6.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 85 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MitchOct 9, 2006
I went in with an open mind, but dang was that a boring movie. It was like 80 minutes in before I found anything mildly amusing. And even the mildly amusing part was only MILDLY amusing.
1 of 1 users found this helpful
MovieLonely94Jun 11, 2011
Let's face it. Pixar and Dreamworks Animation are still both the kings of CGI animations (Pixar's movies weren't bad. However, only one CGI movie from Dreamworks was bad, but some of their films turned out to be as good as Pixar's films).Let's face it. Pixar and Dreamworks Animation are still both the kings of CGI animations (Pixar's movies weren't bad. However, only one CGI movie from Dreamworks was bad, but some of their films turned out to be as good as Pixar's films). However, year after year, in the middle of the 2000s, other CGI animation studios tried to cash in by releasing their own CGI animated features. This is one of them and trust me, it was that bad and I was shocked to see that it was made by Roger Allers (director of Disney's The Lion King). (sigh) I'm going to talk about the plot first before I make my opinion and some of you already know what it was about.

Boog, a grizzly bear, lives in a perfect world with a park ranger named Beth. One day, he saves a deer named Elliot from a hunter and one night, he returns the favor by helping him escape from his owner. Realizing that Boog has reverted to his wild nature, she releases him in the woods before hunting season begins. Boog and Elliot make a bond not only for themselves but for the other animals in the forest as they rally them up to drive the hunters out of the forest.

This was the first CGI movie from Columbia Pictures and at their first try, they were unsuccessful. The characters were very annoying, the dialogue was just plain laughable, it had a lot of overused clichés and there were a lot of plot holes.

I will give Columbia Pictures credit for the CGI animation and art design, but they were overshadowed by a poorly written storyline, same old slapstick jokes, and really pathetic acting.

For the kids, it's worth watching, but as for others, it isn't. It's just a stupid CGI movie with no character and no plot at all. That is until it was followed by two sequels. Two sequels? Two sequels?! This clichéd, unfunny movie had two sequels?! Oh, goodie. I want to see how much they suck just like this one.

ScottC.Sep 26, 2006
Been there. Done that.
RobertT.Jan 29, 2007
Lame.....boring.....not funny - pretty much sums it up. I can't help but compare all of these recent animations to Flushed Away which I truly loved. I must say though that this one was wayyyyyyy better than Barn Yard - I'm still Lame.....boring.....not funny - pretty much sums it up. I can't help but compare all of these recent animations to Flushed Away which I truly loved. I must say though that this one was wayyyyyyy better than Barn Yard - I'm still trying to wash the taste of that one out of my mouth - Yeck! Expand
RichK.Sep 27, 2006
Cute film for kids under 5. Not much there for anyone else.
TravisG.Mar 9, 2007
I really did not like this movie. I mean, its funny in 1 or 2 parts, but overall it just wasnt that funny.