6.0

1. Jun 11, 2011
    Let's face it. Pixar and Dreamworks Animation are still both the kings of CGI animations (Pixar's movies weren't bad. However, only one CGI movie from Dreamworks was bad, but some of their films turned out to be as good as Pixar's films). However, year after year, in the middle of the 2000s, other CGI animation studios tried to cash in by releasing their own CGI animated features. This isLet's face it. Pixar and Dreamworks Animation are still both the kings of CGI animations (Pixar's movies weren't bad. However, only one CGI movie from Dreamworks was bad, but some of their films turned out to be as good as Pixar's films). However, year after year, in the middle of the 2000s, other CGI animation studios tried to cash in by releasing their own CGI animated features. This is one of them and trust me, it was that bad and I was shocked to see that it was made by Roger Allers (director of Disney's The Lion King). (sigh) I'm going to talk about the plot first before I make my opinion and some of you already know what it was about.

Boog, a grizzly bear, lives in a perfect world with a park ranger named Beth. One day, he saves a deer named Elliot from a hunter and one night, he returns the favor by helping him escape from his owner. Realizing that Boog has reverted to his wild nature, she releases him in the woods before hunting season begins. Boog and Elliot make a bond not only for themselves but for the other animals in the forest as they rally them up to drive the hunters out of the forest.

This was the first CGI movie from Columbia Pictures and at their first try, they were unsuccessful. The characters were very annoying, the dialogue was just plain laughable, it had a lot of overused clichés and there were a lot of plot holes.

I will give Columbia Pictures credit for the CGI animation and art design, but they were overshadowed by a poorly written storyline, same old slapstick jokes, and really pathetic acting.

For the kids, it's worth watching, but as for others, it isn't. It's just a stupid CGI movie with no character and no plot at all. That is until it was followed by two sequels. Two sequels? Two sequels?! This clichéd, unfunny movie had two sequels?! Oh, goodie. I want to see how much they suck just like this one.

2. May 18, 2014
    Open Season is the average annoying kids movie with animals that talk. I found it to be one of those animated movies where all of the character motivations are ones you don't like, and it's one of those movies that you keep checking your watch to see when it will end.

1. Reviewed by: Gregory Kirshling
    The overfamiliar Open Season feels like just another CG 'toon in our 'toon-glutted times.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Rosenblatt
    Little more than paint-by-numbers filmmaking, and it fails in the most important charge of any children's movie: to transport its young and impressionable audience to a world where anything is possible, rather than to one where everything’s been thought of already.
  3. Reviewed by: Gregg Rickman
    On the plus side, Open Season enjoys a clear narrative, real rooting interest and good interspecies rapport. On the downside, there’s a surfeit of cruel bunny-rabbit gags.