Orphan

8.8

1. Sol
    Sep 6, 2009
    I guess, this film belongs in the middle - it's not a masterpiece, it's not some useless piece of trash... around it lovers and haters alike, each praising or attacking it for all of its stereotypes... Generally, I liked it, there are sudden twists that made me sit intense all along during the projection. I'll never understand others from the audience usually enjoying snacksI guess, this film belongs in the middle - it's not a masterpiece, it's not some useless piece of trash... around it lovers and haters alike, each praising or attacking it for all of its stereotypes... Generally, I liked it, there are sudden twists that made me sit intense all along during the projection. I'll never understand others from the audience usually enjoying snacks when sitting and watching films like 'Orphan'. Isabelle is brilliant but too exposed in her character role, and yes, like many say - you immediately dislike her... not necessarily because of her stereotypical child-like princess charms, but simply because people like this (whether kids or adults) when insisting on being adored and 'your best friends' have a disturbing side to their persona... Amazing how obviously wrong something about Esther is, while naive loving couple oversees the girl's overarticulatedness as something of a virtue. I like the idea of exposing how sinister a manipulator a child can be - confronting adults in their ever-present sense of affection no matter how extreme child's actions might get. There is an explanation for everything - however, psychopathic beaviour is too perverse a game mother nature provided for the human race. Expand
  2. Nov 15, 2011
    Orphan is a decent, but it fails to live up to expectations and is overlong, but the end is good though.
  3. AaronN
    Aug 6, 2009
    It certainly isnt anywhere original but it strays from the trend of "girl/boy has flashbacks of an evil or alternate world" plot that alot of the horror flicks in the past few years had been revolving around. The only things this movie could greatly offer is sheer confusion throughout the development.
  4. Nov 22, 2010
    Orphan first brings viewers a distraught mother who has been sober for a little less than a year and wants to adopt a child, mostly of the fact of a recent miscarraige. From a film standpoint, it seems her decision is swift. She immediately wants to know about this girl who seems to have immigrated from an orphanage in Russia. But things turn ugly when only the mother of the family startsOrphan first brings viewers a distraught mother who has been sober for a little less than a year and wants to adopt a child, mostly of the fact of a recent miscarraige. From a film standpoint, it seems her decision is swift. She immediately wants to know about this girl who seems to have immigrated from an orphanage in Russia. But things turn ugly when only the mother of the family starts to notice strange behaviors from Esther, and because of her past issues with alcohol and a tense relationship with her husband, nobody seems to take interest in the events. Esther soon becomes the silent danger that will have you on the edge of your seat by the final scene. What seems to be the most suprising while I was watching was the graceful but strangely sudden turning point halfway in. The first half centers on the status of the family, creating a subtle and simple platform once Esther enters there modern home. Gore is grousome, and plot is simple. Some horror fans could be displeased though. Expand
  5. Feb 19, 2011
    Why does it seem like most movies are just recycled and revamped? Why does it seem like when your watching a movie you think to yourself, haven't I been here before? Deja Vu? Why is it that in most suspense films there's always that one person in the film that doesn't believe the hero, when he/she says that evil, true deep evil is lurking? They always banish them as "Crazy". Maybe that'sWhy does it seem like most movies are just recycled and revamped? Why does it seem like when your watching a movie you think to yourself, haven't I been here before? Deja Vu? Why is it that in most suspense films there's always that one person in the film that doesn't believe the hero, when he/she says that evil, true deep evil is lurking? They always banish them as "Crazy". Maybe that's what supplies the suspense. Sometimes I wish that they would gather all those movies where the heroes was never believed and make sequels on how stupid those disbelieving S.O.B. 's look after the truth is revealed. Like a sequel to Dragonfly when Kathy Bates dismissed Kevin Costner as being "Crazy" when he tells her he's being haunted by his dead wife, Oh, how idiotic she must've felt when he steps off the Plane with his dead wife's new born child. Hey, If Hollywood can spew out crappy movie ideas then so can I!!!!! Don't get me wrong, Orphan is a good movie, I loved it, it's just I'm tired of the same old suspense tricks they use over and over again!!!! Expand
  6. May 23, 2011
    Orphan manages to build great tension in such a thin premise while showcasing well the talents of the young cast - especially Isabelle Muhrman (a nightmarish incarnation of child creeps from the past) and Aryana Engineer. To sum it all up, though, it's an undercooked and tired thriller.
  7. Aug 23, 2011
    Not a particularly brilliant movie but kudos for using an original idea and for using the psychological route rather than pure horror. Worth a look if you're a fan of the genre, otherwise you're probably going to hate it.
  8. Oct 16, 2011
    A terrifying and convincing performance from Isabelle Fuhram and its good premise is ruined when "Orphan" fells into the commonplace and prosaic plot so often found on this kind of film.
  9. Feb 24, 2013
    Pretty good movie, I liked it and enjoyed it. However, I hated the main character so much it really kept me from really liking it...however that might have been the point. Overall I'd say it's worth a watch.
  10. Jun 6, 2014
    "I loved it!!!" -Dr. Sigmund Freud.

Ha ha, but no seriously, this film was not that believable. Nor was it particularly scary, it was more irritating than anything else. I suppose it's a thriller, but the plot progression relies on ALL the characters lacking any common sense whatsoever. Such a story device does not make a for good film in my opinion. As a male, the film was hard
    "I loved it!!!" -Dr. Sigmund Freud.

As a male, the film was hard to get into. The husband's role was more of a prop than a realistic fleshed-out character. Focusing more in the relationship between John and Esther would have been interesting.

You want a good horror film about a child from hell, you got one. Do not, under any circumstances, take children to see it. Take my word on this.
  2. Furhman plays pure evil with such supreme calmness that only her eyes shine with madness. Indeed, all of the child actors are superb, especially the expressive Engineer.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Teasingly enjoyable rubbish through the first hour, Orphan becomes genuine trash during its protracted second half.