Our Idiot Brother

6.4

1. Sep 5, 2011
    Just a fantastic Paul Rudd movie. His overall character was a great idea and the movie flowed very well with its subtle humor. It kept me laughing all the way through, just don't expect a "laugh-out-loud" movie but its still a must-see.
  2. Oct 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Elizabeth and her sisters think that Ned is an idiot. Only their half-employed hippie brother, a biodynamic farmer, would sell marijuana to a policeman. Worse yet, this bust was no undercover sting in which a plain clothes cop posed as some chronic in order to entrap the unsuspecting seller. Uniformed and on-duty, Ned could plainly see it was a cop, and yet he still made the unwise transaction, in broad daylight, no less, with a little rhubarb on the side for appearance's sake. The Rochlin girls don't suffer fools gladly, so the moviegoer can imagine Ned's sisters regaling themselves with the same story, while their brother grew a Jesus beard during his eight-month sentence in prison. But you had to be there, and you have to know the son of God, whose job it was to heal the sick, so Ned, Jesus incarnate, seeing that the law officer needed Mary Jane for his weary soul, offered the man her services, then pays the price. Ned is a christ figure. While crashing with Liz, in his capacity as the cool uncle, he introduces Inspector Clouseau, the idiot detective, to her sheltered boy River by showing him "The Pink Panther". The Peter Sellers film establishes a subtext, but it's not the bumbling Frenchman's genetic code that courses through Ned's blood, since slapstick, with the exception of the familial freeloader slamming the door on his nephew's fingers, is not the comedy tradition at work here; it's satire, of the deadpan variety, as Paul Rudd channels the mentally retarded gardener from "Being There", where at the end of the 1979 classic, Chauncey Gardiner walks on water, like Jesus. This miracle explains why the man who raised Chauncey never allowed him to leave the premises. Maybe the government would lock his boy up; a government that would resist ceding their power back to the church, transforming the country back into a theocracy. In the seventies, there was still such a thing as separation from church and state. Apparently, Ashby saw the future. "I like to watch," Chauncey says, who spends his whole life in front of a T.V., just as earth must be one big program to god, a couch potato himself, in the sense that all he does is observe the human struggle with the same indifference as the idiot gardener. Whereas "Network" anticipated FOX news, "Being There", anticipated the rise of the evangelical president. The two films complete each other. In the final scene, after taking leave from his rich friend's funeral, Chauncey wanders through the woods, faintly recalling former President George W. Bush on his ranch. Back at the service, the gardener's name is bandied about among the pallbearers as a potential presidential candidate; pallbearers who seem to hold the real power. The aging men need Chauncey because they lack his charisma and don't look good on television. Ben, a conservative ideologue, perhaps, knew all along that Chauncey was an idiot, and knew he would make the perfect chief executive puppet for his people to pull the strings on, and be at their beck and call. Maybe Ned had the makings of a president, but like Harold(Sellers, again), in "I Love You Alice B. Toklas", some hippie chick(maybe it was that dognapper Janet) baked him some pot brownies and transformed him into a bohemian. Like Chauncey, whose ruminations on the garden turns the general public into idiots, misconstruing his every prosaic utterance as minimalist wisdom, Ned also has the talent of making imbeciles out of folks by simply being there. While all the Wall Street devils who were selling false dreams to a duped nation got off scot free, a cop sends an immaculate agriculturist to prison. Jesus Christ, indeed. Later, as a favor to his wife, the documentary filmmaker husband lets Ned assist him, and on one of Dylan's shoots, a ballet academy, he catches both the director and dancer in various states of undress. When he recounts the incident to Miranda, the middle sister can't beleive how her brother fell for the adulterer's story about his nakedness being part of an artistic process. But as a christ figure, Ned wouldn't consider nudity a sin. Genesis teaches us that Eve wasn't conscious of her exposed body until she took a bite from the serpent's apple, so Tatiana, with her ballerina's reputation for eating very little, would explain why Ned saw nothing wrong with the set-up. Metaphorically, the apple went untouched. Ned knows his commandments though, punishing Natalie for breaking number 7("You shall not commit adultery") when she cheats on Cindy, and then punishing Miranda for breaking number 9("You shall not steal"), after the Vanity Fair writer takes the words from a socialite to use in her article, which were only meant for Ned's ears. The idiot brother also creates miracles; he doesn't walk on water, but how can you explain a dog named Willie Nelson meeting another dog name Dolly Parton? That's more than mere happenstance; that's a divine act. Expand
  3. Aug 31, 2011
    Paul Rudd is one of current cinema's most charming and affable personalities, so this role is perfect for him (his comic abilities are a bonus). He plays trusting guy whose unfailing honesty gets him and people around him into trouble. After a stint in jail, he moves in with each of his three sisters (Elizabeth Banks, Emily Morton, Zooey Deschanel), where he wrecks havoc on their lives andPaul Rudd is one of current cinema's most charming and affable personalities, so this role is perfect for him (his comic abilities are a bonus). He plays trusting guy whose unfailing honesty gets him and people around him into trouble. After a stint in jail, he moves in with each of his three sisters (Elizabeth Banks, Emily Morton, Zooey Deschanel), where he wrecks havoc on their lives and relationships. This good-natured comedy isn't hilarious or outrageous, but it's winning cast and genuine charms make it an appealing diversion. Expand
  4. Nov 30, 2011
    What a wonderful movie about life, family, friends, relationships and stupidity. This movie has so much charm, it hurts. Don't expect a hilarious comedy, it has it's moments, but for me, it works as much more as a drama than as a comedy. Love the characters. They are so memorable.
  5. Dec 23, 2012
    Paul Rudd is at his best in this hilarious comedy. All the cast gives a fantastic performance, and it's extremely well written. If your a Paul Rudd fan this is a must watch, you wont be disappointed.
  6. Sep 7, 2011
    It was okay. Unfortunately, it really wasn't that funny. It was much more sad than funny. The funny bits were in the previews, which everyone had seen a hundred times already. The end kind of redeemed it a bit. That's why it doesn't receive an even lower rating.
  7. Aug 29, 2011
    Honestly, this movie was not what I expected but that was not a bad thing. A little less comedy than the trailers display, but the overall goodness of Ned's character makes the audience (as well as other characters) feel the need to be better. I must say the movie was also very well cast from Ned down to Janet's new boyfriend. Not a great movie, but definitely worth checking out.
  8. Sep 1, 2011
    whos the dueche spaming shoe promotions in every review? someone needs to fix that problem... anyway movie was good. and um i really just wanted to say that this deuche needs to be deleted.
  9. Dec 21, 2011
    Our Idiot Brother is really a fun movie, Maybe not "Ha Ha" Funny but its really entertaining . Story was amazing and the way they put it all together with The Three sis and Their "Idiot" Brother is really well done . Paul did really good playing the idiotic character .Jesse Peretz's did good directing this . Its was a total fun to watch . Some part was a bit disgusting . It could work asOur Idiot Brother is really a fun movie, Maybe not "Ha Ha" Funny but its really entertaining . Story was amazing and the way they put it all together with The Three sis and Their "Idiot" Brother is really well done . Paul did really good playing the idiotic character .Jesse Peretz's did good directing this . Its was a total fun to watch . Some part was a bit disgusting . It could work as a good family film too(of course without "Those Part" IYKWIM ). Overall i enjoyed Our Idiot Brother the whole time. Expand
  10. Sep 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ned (Paul Rudd) believes that if you give people the benefit of the doubt and see their best intentions, they will want to rise to the occasion. What a wonderful motto to live by. Certainly there are exceptions, but for the most part, I can get on board with his train of thought. Ned takes it to extremes however when he sells marijuana to a uniformed police officer. To be fair, he did try to just give the weed to the officer; he was forced to name a price. So because of one very evil officer, our idiot heads to jail, but is paroled for good behavior, being named most cooperative inmate 4 months in a row. Once released, he realizes his girlfriend has left him for another version of himself and she refuses to let him take his dog, Willie Nelson, which he loves dearly. He then house jumps from sister to sister, disrupting their not so perfect lives. Ned Expand
  11. Sep 12, 2011
    See-it - Paul Rudd is the nicest moron on the planet, and quite possibly the funniest. Don't miss the second best comedy of the summer (Bridesmaids is #1) about that one sibling that everyone can relate to (only took my sister an hour to further investigate this statement).
  12. Nov 16, 2011
    Paul Rudd is incredibly endearing as the lovable screw up and the movie does a good job with it's handling of family dynamics. It's not the kind of movie where you are going to be rolling on the floor laughing but it has more than enough heart to make up for it.
  13. Dec 3, 2011
    To be honest when I first saw the trailer for this movie I was on the fence, I wanted to see it but I didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked out of the theater and couldn't stop talking about how much I enjoyed it. This movie is the quintessential feel good movie, and a great watch for anyone who likes quirky, charming movies.
  14. Dec 16, 2011
    I loved this movie! It's shocking to see that "Friends with Benefits" scores higher than this movie on metacritic! That just doesn't make any sense to me. Our Idiot Brother is a charming comedy with a solid ensemble cast. The cast is so great together that I just wish more had happened in the movie... But anyway, for what it was I loved it.
  15. Jun 22, 2013
    A pleasant film that provides balanced comedy and heart. Fascinating and likable characters played by talented actors worked well for this film. It was strange, but quite enjoyable.
  16. Jun 23, 2015
    Paul Rudd is known for playing the sensible guy in comedy movies now. Our Idiot Brother breaks that chain. Paul Rudd offers some pretty simple humour throughout this movie. Rudd plays one of his best roles in this movie playing the obvious "Idiot Brother", but he is so likeable. Rudd's character has a great viewing of the world despite his dim wits. There is also a great cast in this film.Paul Rudd is known for playing the sensible guy in comedy movies now. Our Idiot Brother breaks that chain. Paul Rudd offers some pretty simple humour throughout this movie. Rudd plays one of his best roles in this movie playing the obvious "Idiot Brother", but he is so likeable. Rudd's character has a great viewing of the world despite his dim wits. There is also a great cast in this film. There are very few actors in this film that are not recognisable, even in the small roles. This movie has gone by without much attention even with such a great cast and an original story and it needs to be seen. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Sep 1, 2011
    Ultimately a shambling tale told with genial grace but little substance. It provides a pleasant buzz while it unfolds but vanishes quickly in a puff of smoke.
  2. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Aug 28, 2011
    The ensemble is unwieldy and the attendant yarn much too cluttered.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Aug 26, 2011
    Watching Rudd bring dimension to what could have been a clownish caricature is the best reason to see this good-natured family comedy.