7.9

1. Jan 26, 2013
    I can't believe I'm the first negative user reviewer. Like most, I listed to the critics and rented this movie from Amazon. The plot didn't seem all that great, nor did the preview...but I went with the positive reviews. I love sci fi, and consider myself a huge fan of series like BSG, Firefly, & Star Trek. I even have the entire series of Farscape on DVD. I can put up with a lot when it comes to imaginative sci fi stories, but this story was absurd. So basically you have this space man from some far away, advanced human civilization that crashes on Earth in Norway during the time of the Vikings. And somehow stowed away on that ship was a gigantic dragon-like thing. Then the space man and vikings fight the dragon-like thing after the space man conveniently loses his space man fireblaster in a waterfall. I just wonder who blackmailed John Hurt into acting in this heap of feces. Expand

1. It's entertaining nonsense with major league special effects, larger-than-life characters and inventive monsters that draw on the "Aliens" and "Predator" models, being terrifying but also vaguely sympathetic.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Not helped by a wooden perf from Jim Caviezel as a humanoid alien who accidentally imports a real alien to eighth-century Earth.
    Outlander is interesting as a collision of genres: the monster movie meets the Viking saga. You have to give it credit for carrying that premise to its ultimate (if not logical) conclusion.