6.7

1. Jun 15, 2013
    Outrage is a disappointing return to the Yakuza genre by Kitano Takeshi. The film offers some truly brutal violence but little else. Where has the offbeat charm that defined Takeshi's previous movies gone? The film might well be striving to push the point that violence begets violence and is thus ultimately pointless, but the pointlessness of it all makes this movie pointless. Um... It'sOutrage is a disappointing return to the Yakuza genre by Kitano Takeshi. The film offers some truly brutal violence but little else. Where has the offbeat charm that defined Takeshi's previous movies gone? The film might well be striving to push the point that violence begets violence and is thus ultimately pointless, but the pointlessness of it all makes this movie pointless. Um... It's solid, I suppose but I was hoping for much more. Expand
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    I was expecting better things for no particular reason. I felt like a lot of the movie was forced to try and seem a certain way when it only came of as corny. The acting at times was atrocious, or maybe Chinese/ Japanese people have very dramatic facial expressions? Subtitles always ad somewhat of a strain to movies but I still had real trouble connecting or believing much of what wasI was expecting better things for no particular reason. I felt like a lot of the movie was forced to try and seem a certain way when it only came of as corny. The acting at times was atrocious, or maybe Chinese/ Japanese people have very dramatic facial expressions? Subtitles always ad somewhat of a strain to movies but I still had real trouble connecting or believing much of what was going on. I then began having trouble recalling which people went with which families and why they began to dislike the other, and how it benefited one side or the other. It had a few interesting gory deaths/ beatings but uit became quite repetitive. Overall I felt it was pretty poor, as a lover of most Yakuza/ Mafia movies and felt I had wasted my time watching. Expand
  3. Dec 5, 2011
    It's not nearly as engaging as other Yakuza movies I've seen in the last few years. Sure, there's plenty of violence, some comedy, and creative killing. But it's tough to get behind any of the characters.

1. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Jan 5, 2012
    Kitano is clearly enjoying his powers as a master of the form, and the movie invites the viewer to share in his enjoyment.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jan 4, 2012
    It is also a film of controlled visual style; Kitano's compositions are like arrangements of bodies in space and time. That said, and with all due respect, I expected a better time.
  3. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Dec 27, 2011
    Even when a guy is getting stabbed in the ear with a chopstick, Outrage is so controlled you're liable to go mad watching it. Somehow both stifling and beautiful, it's the Salo of Yakuza pictures.