Over the Hedge

8.3

1. Oct 18, 2010
    I didn't know there was a comic strip about it before this was made. I didn't even read it. anyway, this movie is way beyond good. its great. the animation kicks ***, the characters were well-done, and the songs were great. Over The Hedge is just the right CGI movie for people all around the world.
  2. Aug 31, 2011
    This film is aimed at younger children so this is a review from my little brother. He loved it! The story was awesome and there are many laughs in it. Even though I am a lot older, I too loved this film and it is one of the best animated films we have ever seen
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    Over the Hedge is funny, original, visually dazzling and heartwarming. Just the film isn't as well executed as many would hope it too be. But anyways the film is great and I give it a solid 86%.
  4. Mar 27, 2013
    An all-star cast of forest animals who get into trouble when they start looting through the nearby city for food. Bruce Willis does perfect as RJ, Steve Carell made the film even better when playing Hammy.
  5. Dec 15, 2014
    i miss my dad i wish he was not gay and dead...........Around the world, around the world
    Around the world, around the world
    Around the world, around the world Around the world, around the world Around the world, around the world Around the world, around the world Around the world, around the world Around the world, around the world Around the world, around the world Around

6. EricY.
    Jun 3, 2006
    My girlfriend and I were already planning on going to see this movie after seeing the trailer at the theatre months ago. When I found out that Ben Folds did half of the music for the movie, I was really excited to see it. A good movie for all ages! What a blast!
  7. SherryB.
    May 24, 2006
    I really liked this show, much better than Ice age 2 worth a peek.
  8. SamH.
    May 20, 2006
    It was really different then what I had expected, though in a good way! See it in the theater AND buy it on DVD I highly recommend it for anybody.
  9. Mike
    Jun 9, 2006
    Great movie! I just saw this as its one of the few "summer" movies i had yet to see. The voice acting is right on the money and the story is actually good. Being that it's based on a comic strip I could definitely see where they took what made the strip work and flesh it out. I'm a twenytsomething student and was pleasently surprised at this very solid movie after watching duds Great movie! I just saw this as its one of the few "summer" movies i had yet to see. The voice acting is right on the money and the story is actually good. Being that it's based on a comic strip I could definitely see where they took what made the strip work and flesh it out. I'm a twenytsomething student and was pleasently surprised at this very solid movie after watching duds like Madagascar, Robots, and the bi-polar Chicken Little. Expand
  10. wetwebwork
    Sep 2, 2006
    I didn't expect this to be as good as it was. I watched this with my two kids and we all enjoyed it. Good story, funny jokes, and a perfectly pitched performance from Bruce Willis. As someone else said, this isn't a classic, but Over the Hedge is better than the majority of films on release at the moment.
  11. Michellec.
    May 15, 2006
    This is cute, charming and truly funny movie that kids will want to see and parents should be happy to oblige them. The animation is fabulous, writing is witty and voice-over work is stellar. Only thing extra I wished for: 20 more minutes over the hedge with this cuddly gang.
  12. MikeD.
    May 20, 2006
    First, let me clarify that for me "10" does not mean you must see this movie, it just means that the movie is extremely good for the genre it's in. That being said, I watched the movie with a bunch of my friends (resonably intelligent college freshmen), and we all found it hilarious. There is a manic energy throughout the whole thing, and while there is the obligatory slow down to First, let me clarify that for me "10" does not mean you must see this movie, it just means that the movie is extremely good for the genre it's in. That being said, I watched the movie with a bunch of my friends (resonably intelligent college freshmen), and we all found it hilarious. There is a manic energy throughout the whole thing, and while there is the obligatory slow down to talk about "family", even that scene has a sharp gag. There is a streak of dark irony in the movie as RJ explains suburban life and consumerism in such a way that it seems absurd, but he paints it to be glorious. I don't think young kids will get that, but it certainly stays true to the comic strips wry commentary on entitled animals. Expand
  13. Mase
    May 23, 2006
    Sort of a patchwork of all the current animated films out now and comes out mostly winningly. Moves fairly quick and looks great. The scored big getting Carrel and Sykes who do some of the best voice work since Shrek 2
  14. DanyelleS.
    May 29, 2006
    This is a good movie, worth seing. Although mabey in the cheap theater. As most of the funny part are seen in the trailers.
  15. WillieG.
    May 30, 2006
    Not bad, but just 'OK' overall. For me, this animated film failed to live up to expectations in 2 areas. First, it was lacking comedic voice talent in the lead roles. Willis and Shandling were OK, but they don't impart even a fraction of the comedic voice talent of someone like Eddie Murphy or Steve Carell. Carell was hands down the best voice talent in this film, though I Not bad, but just 'OK' overall. For me, this animated film failed to live up to expectations in 2 areas. First, it was lacking comedic voice talent in the lead roles. Willis and Shandling were OK, but they don't impart even a fraction of the comedic voice talent of someone like Eddie Murphy or Steve Carell. Carell was hands down the best voice talent in this film, though I think everyone else did a great job as well. By comparison, Vern and RJ cam across as rather deadpan, and they both left me bored much of the time. Their characters were too conflicted as well, and they just couldn't bring the laughs with the seriousness written into their roles. The producers could have done far better to give Hammy (Carell) the lead role, leaving RJ (Willis) and Vern (Shandling) as supporting roles. Moving on to the 2nd area that was lacking, the writing in this film was not so hot. The storyline was anemic, it lacked engaging concepts, and most of all it lacked enough laughs. The human characters in the film lacked any comedic value whatsoever, and they were WAY overdone. All in all, I think this film needed more lighthearted comedy, and less seriousness about the themse of family and consumption. Hammy was easily the best part of the film. "But I like the cookie..." Expand
  16. GaborA.
    Jun 5, 2006
    A moments movie, but the funny moments are pretty darn hilarious. It is impossible to impress every age demographic, but Over the Hedge does the next best thing; amuzes everyone.
  17. MadisonF.
    Jun 8, 2006
    The movie was a great hit and was thoroughly enjoyable. I especially found the enthusiasm in the characters to be rich and infectious. My favorite character is Hammy the Squirrel because of his energetic lines and movements.
  18. KenG.
    Jul 5, 2006
    While this isn't a classic, it is fun, and kind of charming. If you can't decide whether to see this, or "Cars", go with this one.
  19. GeoffA.
    Feb 2, 2007
    This was just marvelous! So much better than I expected...and certainly better than the fare typical of this genre. Mercifullly short on loud, crass musical numbers, gracefully done, very funny without being overbearing...We all loved it!
  20. AlisaH.
    Jun 4, 2007
    This is probably one of the best animated films released recently, it wasn't sick humor that I'm used to seeing now and it left me with a good feeling after watching it. The animation was fluid and beautiful, gags were sharp and the overall story was entertaining. What else can I say except that this is a very good movie for any age!!
  21. jamesm.
    Nov 30, 2006
    The laughs just keep on coming with this one. and the nice thing was it wasn't stupid humor but instead required light thought, which makes a perfect movie for kids 5 -99.
  22. PaulK.
    May 13, 2006
    Hilarious! Definitely one the better animated films to come along in awhile. Right up there with Shrek, Ice Age, etc. Steve Carell/Hammy was awesome. I couldn't stop laughing. You must see this in the theater.
    May 22, 2006
    Best kids movie in long time with plenty of adult humor to keep us entertained. I'll be buying this one!
  24. KevinC.
    May 28, 2006
    I have no idea why critics aren't more in love with this. On par with serious art? Of course not, but it's not trying. For an animated family movie it's top notch and sits well next to Ice Age, Toy Story, etc. Went and saw it with a group of mid-twentysomethings and we all really enjoyed it.
  25. Dani
    Jun 22, 2006
    Cute and appropriate movie to go take the kids to see.
  26. JustinN.
    Jun 24, 2006
    Rarely does a movie ever bring out the kid in me these days (in fact, I can't remember the last one that did) but Over the Hedge was able to complete the feat and I loved it. Despite Bruce Willis' acting like a general idiot in the public these days, he managed to hit his character right on in this movie, as did all the other voice actors. It helps that the movie was also Rarely does a movie ever bring out the kid in me these days (in fact, I can't remember the last one that did) but Over the Hedge was able to complete the feat and I loved it. Despite Bruce Willis' acting like a general idiot in the public these days, he managed to hit his character right on in this movie, as did all the other voice actors. It helps that the movie was also genuinely funny. Expand
  27. MarkB.
    Jun 5, 2006
    The recent mini-grass roots movement by certain church groups to block The Da Vinci Code's ascent to its inevitable #1 box office position on its opening weekend by having members buy blocks of tickets to this, its only major competitor making its debut, was clearly doomed from the start. But even though such actions (though clearly preferable to picketing the multiplex and therefore The recent mini-grass roots movement by certain church groups to block The Da Vinci Code's ascent to its inevitable #1 box office position on its opening weekend by having members buy blocks of tickets to this, its only major competitor making its debut, was clearly doomed from the start. But even though such actions (though clearly preferable to picketing the multiplex and therefore calling even MORE attention to Ron Howard's leaden adaptation) are exercises in total futility, I STILL wish (strictly from a standpoint of esthetics and entertainment value) that I'd contributed to the cause by purchasing TWENTY tickets to watch the cute little woodland creatures encountering, enjoying and battling suburbia. This animated treat is a near-perfect mixture of adorable and engaging characters, silly but funny first grade humor and subtle, sophisticated adult satire, and it almost completely avoids ALL the indulgences that made DreamWorks' Shrek movies a tad overrated, and its Shark Tale and Madagascar well-nigh unwatchable: its pop-culture references are limited to a relative few; they're not slammed in your face with Soupy Sales pie-throwing velocity but are artfully presented (if you get the Mission: Impossible allusion, fine...but if not you'll still enjoy the context) ; they're all, as they used to say about onscreen nudity, relevant to the plot...and, most importantly, they work! (Would you believe that--wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles, this film features a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon joke that's genuinely inventive, original and clever?) More often, Over the Hedge gets its humor from wonderfully observed aspects of human (and animal) nature: I'm not sure it's possible for anyone who's worked in an office, gone to school or just hung around an airport, bus terminal or other public place to NOT enjoy the brilliant opening sequence...and be sure you stay in the theater till the VERY end to watch it grow an even better payoff! The voice casting, which in many recent CGI features seems to boil down to little more than signing up whoever's currently available and has a moderate-to-high "Q" rating, couldn't have been more on-target here, with special favorites being Wanda Sykes as a skunk with even more attitude than you'd expect, Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara as a pair of extremely Canadian porcupines, and William Shatner, who as a totally over-the-top fox with a real fondness for rolling over and playing dead, delightfully continues to embrace his late-career recognition of his inner William Shatner-ness. Special kudos goes to Steve Carell as the uber-ultra-maxi-hyperactive Hammy the Squirrel, a role that could've been truly annoying and unbearable, but in Carell's hands and vocal cords is irresistably sweet and hilarious...which is entirely appropriate, because the last theatrical movie I laughed this loud, long and often at was Carell's own The 40-Year-Old Virgin last September. (This doesn't mean that I'm suggesting that you wait for Over the Hedge to hit DVD, then invite the neighborhood kids over for a double feature!) It can maybe legitimately be argued that the movie's three villains--a grizzly bear, an exterminator and, creepiest of all, a scary homeowners' association poobah--get a bit more punishment than they actually deserve, especially since two of them have a legitimate beef against our heroes. But that's nitpicking: throughout all of its not-long-enough 80 minutes, Over the Hedge proves to be the non-Pixar CGI animated feature that's as close to Pixar as a non-Pixar can get...and that's more than good enough! Expand
  28. DanaM.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Entertaining and worth the $9 to see the movie. After all isn't that what's it's about? My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the story and animation. It's not Toy Story but its well made and animated. I don't understand these zero reviews. The kids laughter in the theatre was great.
  29. JamesS.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Awesome! Great comedy and wonderful voice casting. My entire family (ranging from 8 to 58, seriously) really enjoyed it and everyone wants to see it again.
  30. AmberK.
    Jul 17, 2006
    It was really funny and I enjoyed it thoroughly. :] Deffinitely worth the $8 or whatever paid to get into it.
  31. Patrick
    Sep 20, 2006
    The most enjoyable CGI film of the year.
  32. EliC.
    Nov 30, 2006
    A pleasant afternoon at the cinema.
  33. MichaelA
    Oct 24, 2006
    The best animated movie of the year so far! It was very funny and I liked the plot. I loved the characters and the choices of actors were superb! Just too short for my case (1hr 10 min) and there are some movies that can be better. Definitely a nominee in the next Academy Awards! (AA in 2007) Hammy= best character this year!
  34. MikeF.
    May 22, 2006
    I loved it. My daughter loved. We saw it two times and I'll be able to sit through it (or parts of it) over and over on DVD. This is the kind of family entertainment that I look forward to. The voices are great and the writers strike a nice balance between keeping an adult laughing while kids get to enjoy the show.
  35. MikeyF.
    May 27, 2006
    I love. My daughter loved. We saw it two many times and I'll be able to sit through her (or pants of her) over and over again on HER. This is the kind of family entertainment that I look forward to. The voices are scaring me and the winters strike me a nice balance between keeping an adult film while kids get to enjoy the show.
  36. May 25, 2012
    Not the best animated film, but a solid one though. The graphics are great. The plot is good though I find it ordinary and boring for adults, but it is definitely great for kids. I would definitely recommend this film for kids........
  37. CRL
    Aug 26, 2011
    Terrific family comedy with excellent voice acting, hilarious characters, and a friendly poke about the environment. This is a movie that anyone of any age can enjoy.
  38. Feb 17, 2013
    Not a bad movie. While it is nowhere near as good as it could have been, it still is a really nice family film. The plot is obvious, the story is a bit cliched and the overall tone a little bland. But, it has some really good visuals, the characters are really well done and lovingly brought to life by the voice actors. I was really surprised that even Avril Lavigne did an OK job (byNot a bad movie. While it is nowhere near as good as it could have been, it still is a really nice family film. The plot is obvious, the story is a bit cliched and the overall tone a little bland. But, it has some really good visuals, the characters are really well done and lovingly brought to life by the voice actors. I was really surprised that even Avril Lavigne did an OK job (by comparison to others like her that is extremely high praise. Steve Carell perhaps steals the show and adds some of the best laughs in the movie. Overall: While it will never be considered a classic, it still is a fun film worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Expand
  39. Mar 30, 2013
    I didn't expect much when I was going to see it, but I saw it, and it was brilliant! It was really good with great animation, humor and plot. It was great but just one thing: does opening a packet of crisps mean nuclear, NO. And as for Allison Janney: here you go (puts up middle finger). And that is that.
  40. Jul 24, 2014
    The ensemble voice cast give it their all in this animal-brained roller coaster. It can be funny at times, though it lacks the depth of Pixar movies. But it's a witty satire on suburbia from an unlikely point-of-view that's an entertaining joyride all throughout the eighty-three minutes. On one last note, however, it has some pretty stupid moments too. But I can overlook that for theThe ensemble voice cast give it their all in this animal-brained roller coaster. It can be funny at times, though it lacks the depth of Pixar movies. But it's a witty satire on suburbia from an unlikely point-of-view that's an entertaining joyride all throughout the eighty-three minutes. On one last note, however, it has some pretty stupid moments too. But I can overlook that for the overall experience of the movie. Expand
  41. Mar 9, 2014
    Over The Hedge is an original, mature kids movie that relies less on potty humor and has more grown-up jokes. The movie isn't explicit, just sophisticated. A talented cast including Bruce Willis and Steve Carrell make this a very good movie, even for adults.
  42. Nov 13, 2013
    Over the Hedge doesn't beat around the bush.
    There is little about this movie that can be qualified as bad, although very little that can be said is great. A very good collection of very likeable characters, and a few good laughs above all make this movie very enjoyable.
  43. Oct 13, 2014
    Much like Ratatouille it make me hungry with the animals talking about food. The film is quite funny with some of the one liners from the characters and has a decent storyline, I don't really know what else to say other than it's pretty good.
  44. WJS
    Jan 17, 2016
    Snappy dialogue that is voiced by a very effective all star cast make this a fun movie for all ages. It's well animated, well directed and very clever.
  45. Mar 28, 2015
    This is the best animated film for along time, not as cool or original as 'Toy Story' but the next best for sometime (animal based anyway). Its got all the usual cute characters vs human plot line but it has a slightly adult edge, due to its original comic strip background, which gives it a very funny and slightly dark outlook. The characters are brilliant...mainly Hammy and Verne, and theThis is the best animated film for along time, not as cool or original as 'Toy Story' but the next best for sometime (animal based anyway). Its got all the usual cute characters vs human plot line but it has a slightly adult edge, due to its original comic strip background, which gives it a very funny and slightly dark outlook. The characters are brilliant...mainly Hammy and Verne, and the voices are well matched, even Willis. This is also one of the best looking films around with the humans looking good and quite sensible instead of wacky but its the humor here that wins you over. Expand
  46. Aug 7, 2015
    In desperate need of a sequel. This movie was really great, its funny how I accidentally saw the film when it was released, but it was worth it. Dreamworks really had something with over the hedge, it had fresh comedy to relatable humor and it just worked so damn well.
  47. Dec 6, 2015
    DreamWorks good because animals statement without invading the neighborhood , LOL ! How funny!
    For the very good plot, the question I ask is it? For that reason and pretext of animals to invade the neighborhood?
  48. Oct 6, 2015
    my wife and kids left me after we got out of this film on the release night, i still haven't seen them sense but by great Scott it was still the greatest night of my life. I vomited it was so great.
  49. Jan 18, 2016
    What a hedge, right? You might be thinking another movie with animals being the stars is getting repetitively annoying, but who cares? It's Over the Hedge for crying out loud.
  50. Feb 19, 2016
    Same name of comic strip made by T Lewis and Michael Fry.

Raccoon took bear food so he lied to other animals to get food.

Funny & good movie.

You will like this movie.

1. Though the animation is solid and the writing reasonably clever, Over the Hedge is clearly more about packaging than freshness or substance.
    It's very funny, and the little woodland critters that make up the cast are a kiddie-pleasing bunch.
    Aside from having some great animation, the writing is funny and clever.