6.1

1. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be in the shadow of the original, it certainly didn't suck. The dialogue is witty, and the references weren't forced. The casting was stupid though, (I mean Mila Kunis as the wicked witch of the west, really?). But with that said, it is still enjoyable despite being in the shadow of a masterpiece. Expand
  2. Mar 9, 2013
    This movie relies too heavily on CGI. It would have been much nicer to have real scenery, because using too much of CGI just loses the realism it once had from the original. Along with it, annoying supporting characters. They're either there for comic relief as their only purpose, or just plain annoying. However, some scenes does compliment the original movie and does explain howThis movie relies too heavily on CGI. It would have been much nicer to have real scenery, because using too much of CGI just loses the realism it once had from the original. Along with it, annoying supporting characters. They're either there for comic relief as their only purpose, or just plain annoying. However, some scenes does compliment the original movie and does explain how everything came to be in the first place. This movie is basically Disney trying to make a Wicked copycat. It's worth a try for the average moviegoer, but those who know the story will notice problems with this movie. Expand
  3. Mar 18, 2013
    The movie is actually not that bad.. i think it was okay but it could be much better. Recommended family movie! My score for "Oz the Great and Powerful" is 6/10...that's the highest personal score i can give.
  4. Mar 12, 2013
    Oz the Great and Powerful, is a colourful and vibrant movie that tends to stimulate your senses with it's technicality and adventurous music. But unfortunately the movie falls short from almost every scene. Sure the movie has it's moments, but they are short and far between. And it tends to get quiet boring, with underwhelwing twist and turns. The actors do their jobs well, with a fewOz the Great and Powerful, is a colourful and vibrant movie that tends to stimulate your senses with it's technicality and adventurous music. But unfortunately the movie falls short from almost every scene. Sure the movie has it's moments, but they are short and far between. And it tends to get quiet boring, with underwhelwing twist and turns. The actors do their jobs well, with a few standouts and cg characters that do their parts very well. I feel that the movie could have brought a lot more to the table, but instead plays it's safe and ends up kinda cliché. I had a couple of laughs and enjoyed the pretty cgi landscapes, because it sure is pretty. I'm aware that it's a childrens movie, and they will probably enjoy themselves. But it lacks heart and soul and a better story with more meat and juicy. Even though i didn't have high hopes, i was dissapointed.
    Saw it in 3D.
  5. Mar 16, 2013
    Trying to follow up on what is by most considered heritage material must have been a daunting task. The movie very much succeeds in visual design and treats the original and its feel/storytellingstyle with respect. Perhaps too much so, because it ends up being a story following a storytelling style that while being true to the original also being oldfashioned and naive. It is still aTrying to follow up on what is by most considered heritage material must have been a daunting task. The movie very much succeeds in visual design and treats the original and its feel/storytellingstyle with respect. Perhaps too much so, because it ends up being a story following a storytelling style that while being true to the original also being oldfashioned and naive. It is still a children's tale but most seeing it (and judging it) are scarcely children anymore. Be that as it may I was entertained and liked it, just not enough to se it more then once. Expand
  6. Mar 17, 2013
    I was skeptical about this film because of the poor reviews, and I went only because my 6-year-old son demanded it. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the story and cinematography. How the Wizard of Oz came to be was craftily and clearly explained--very faithful to the original story. James Franco was a very likeable con artist with a good heart. My son enjoyed the plotI was skeptical about this film because of the poor reviews, and I went only because my 6-year-old son demanded it. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the story and cinematography. How the Wizard of Oz came to be was craftily and clearly explained--very faithful to the original story. James Franco was a very likeable con artist with a good heart. My son enjoyed the plot twists and the fun action sequences in the hot air balloon. I've been tiring of films that overstimulate with special effects at the expense of story, but this film had a nice balance of action and character development. The titles were particularly original and artistic. A great family film! Expand
  7. Mar 19, 2013
    I was really hoping this would be a good film. I grew up in the 1990s and used to watch The Wizard of Oz every year with my family for Thanksgiving as a kid. And to my surprise, at the age of 23, I can still say it's one of my favorite movies of all-time. With that said, I knew 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' could never reach the status of the original. I just wish I could have liked itI was really hoping this would be a good film. I grew up in the 1990s and used to watch The Wizard of Oz every year with my family for Thanksgiving as a kid. And to my surprise, at the age of 23, I can still say it's one of my favorite movies of all-time. With that said, I knew 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' could never reach the status of the original. I just wish I could have liked it enough to walk out of the theater satisfied, and wanting to buy it on Blu-ray. I didn't. Another reviewer mentioned how this is a kid's movie, not a family movie. I couldn't agree more. And it's such a shame, because kids aren't that stupid. Or at least, you don't have to reduce them to that. I appreciated The Wizard of Oz as a kid because Judy Garland was beautiful, and believable, the Witch was scary, and all the side characters played a crucial role in the story. In Oz: The Great and Powerful, I never became attached to any of the main characters (namely James Franco and Mila Kunis), and the side characters felt more like extras from Shrek (except they stayed on screen far longer than they should have). All in all, the semi-clever ending wasn't too bad, and to me, that's what saved the film. If not for that, the poor structure in the first half of the film, and the misplaced acting (Franco and Kunis are good actors, but weren't meant for this film) would have killed it for me. Rent it, or wait for it to come out on Netflix, it's not necessarily worth going to the theater for. Expand
  8. Mar 26, 2013
    Oz the Great and Powerful is very well done and for the most part well acted, but the story just wasn't there for me. It seemed too silly when it was supposed to be serious, and not that funny when they were trying to be funny. With that said, I'm sure kids everywhere will enjoy this movie, so this is a great family movie to watch.
  9. Mar 21, 2013
    The Wizard of Oz is one of those timeless classics that many critics and moviegoers say should not be touched. The film was originally based off of L. Frank Baum’s book of the same name in 1900. The Wizard of Oz was actually the first in a series that spanned multiple sequels starring Dorothy and other original protagonists. With so much additional material, another trip to Oz could proveThe Wizard of Oz is one of those timeless classics that many critics and moviegoers say should not be touched. The film was originally based off of L. Frank Baum’s book of the same name in 1900. The Wizard of Oz was actually the first in a series that spanned multiple sequels starring Dorothy and other original protagonists. With so much additional material, another trip to Oz could prove to be very fun. Disney, the company behind this newest installment, attempts to capitalize on some of those other works by highlighting the exploits of Oz himself in Oz the Great and Powerful. It’s too bad that this most recent attempt by the House of Mouse fails in almost every regard to capture the magic that the original film and books have. Directed by Sam Raimi (Spider-Man, Evil Dead), Oz the Great and Powerful acts as a sort of broken continuity prequel to the original film. We see Oz’s origins as desperate carnival magician and con man Oscar Diggs (James Franco) in 1909 Kansas. His eventual transportation to Oz via CGI twister is much like the one Dorothy took on her original voyage in 1939. The movie shows the transformation of Diggs into the Wizard of Oz as well as his interactions with the three witches from the first movie. One would think the role of Oz would call for an actor who is capable of being charming, snarky and somewhat manipulative. Sadly, Franco is just too laid back, too normal and too boring to play a role that requires an actor to act larger than life. Oz needs to be a charismatic trickster, someone who can wink and smile his way out of life and death situations. Franco’s “charm” has him stumbling over his words and sputtering nonsense to every character that crosses his path. The rest of the cast is a mix bag as well. Evanora the Wicked (Rachel Weiz) and Glinda the Good (Michelle Williams) don’t really bring anything to the film at all. They’re not necessarily bad, but they’re just not that interesting either. Theodora (Mila Kunis), the third and probably the most recognizable of the witches goes through a character arc that is so unbelievably clichéd and laughable that it truly shows that the writers were just being lazy. Finley (Zach Braff) and China Girl (Joey King) are the only two characters in the film who provide any reason to care what’s happening on screen. While lacking in strong characters, the film is very pretty look at. Viewers are given the chance to see to new places in Oz and even revisit some old ones. The Emerald City and the Dark Forest are created using actual sets along with CGI imagery. The creatures, such as the always terrifying flying monkeys, provide are a much needed reprieve from the boring characters that audiences are stuck following. Oz the Great and Powerful is a pathetic franchise-starter that is attempting to cash-in on the name of the film that came before it. There's a generic hero’s journey, woefully underwritten characters and poor casting choices. The sense of magic is completely absent and replaced with special attention to green screen backdrops. The obvious merchandizing throughout makes the movie look like it’s following a pre-planned checklist of what to sell to kids after they see it. Stealing its plot lines and underdeveloped characters from 2010’s Alice in Wonderland doesn’t help the film’s claims of it being “an original tale from the mind of Sam Raimi.” Oz the Great and Powerful is nothing more than a poor attempt to exploit any nostalgia that people have for this world and its characters. Expand
  10. Mar 23, 2013
    Went in with extremely low expectations and came out feeling quite happy with the entire experience. Yes, there's lots of CGI but its great and doesn't need to be believable as we are in the fantastical world of OZ. Glad Disney stuck to the original story. The beginning and opening credits are worth every minute! Some cheesy moments but we are watching an OZ film!
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    Surprisingly, this was one spectacle. Even though it doesn't live up to the original "The Wizard of Oz" it's still one to behold. I was afraid that it would be like "Alice in Wonderland" a wonderluss boring tale with some bad acting. Thank God that wasn't the case. It does have cheesy moments, but overall it's a visual marvel.
  12. Mar 26, 2013
    The Wizard of Oz has been 1 of my favorite movies since I was a little girl. When I first saw the previews for Oz, The Great and Powerful, I instantly wanted to see it. So, on opening night, I took my 12 year old cousin who was also excited to see it. My expectations were set pretty high considering my love for The Wizard of Oz. This movie did not disappoint. I was truly amazed at how wellThe Wizard of Oz has been 1 of my favorite movies since I was a little girl. When I first saw the previews for Oz, The Great and Powerful, I instantly wanted to see it. So, on opening night, I took my 12 year old cousin who was also excited to see it. My expectations were set pretty high considering my love for The Wizard of Oz. This movie did not disappoint. I was truly amazed at how well this prequel was constructed, informing you about how things cam to be in Oz before Dorothy was there (how the great wizard had come from Kansas as he had told Dorothy, the reason "nobody have ever seen the great Oz" and the relationship between Oz and the witches. It was done in such a way to get the point across without forcing it into the story too much. There were plenty of humorous pieces fit in to relate to an all age audience, without being inappropriate. The one thing that was missing with the story behind the ruby slippers, but I found out later that MGM has the slippers under copyright as this was their addition to the movie, not what was in the book.

For those expecting a remake of the 1939 movie, forget it. This is more like a prequel without being called one. There is no scarecrow, tin man or cowardly lion. There are several other characters who are included as well as many new friends who will tug at your heartstrings. Some of the movie may be a little scary for young children, but otherwise it is something to be loves by audiences of all ages.
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    That was one of the worst movies Disney has thrown together. Period. It was a simple call on Disney's part. Wicked has been doing an unbelievable job on Broadway for years. So how can they make some extra cash? Make a movie that will have lovers of the Broadway production, and the original Wizard of Oz, running to your door. I understand the concept of making it similar to the originalThat was one of the worst movies Disney has thrown together. Period. It was a simple call on Disney's part. Wicked has been doing an unbelievable job on Broadway for years. So how can they make some extra cash? Make a movie that will have lovers of the Broadway production, and the original Wizard of Oz, running to your door. I understand the concept of making it similar to the original Wizard of Oz how it takes forever to start the story. However, the Wizard of Oz was an original concept. Once the story picked up it continued full speed with a unique shocking concept, along with it's story, and beautiful scenery. The running force behind The Great and Powerful Oz was the 3D animation and computer generated world. I can't honestly tell you the last movie that used 3D in its original nostalgic sense things truly popping out at you. Those scenes only last a few minutes and leave much to be desired during the rest of the film. The story was dull and boring. Not to mention it brought in aspects of both book series, the musical, and the original film, which do not all mesh. The actors deserved a better story line. The customers deserved a better movie. Expand
  14. May 29, 2013
    It was alright. Nothing really special about it The visual effects where nice though. It was an alright prequel. Hopefully next one will be better but i doubt it. You know how sequels go.
  15. Apr 5, 2013
    This movie changed my life. I feel liberated, a new (wo)man, as if I can go out and literally carpe diem James Francos performance was nothing less than Oscar worthy, Golden Glove worthy, Grammy worthy, hell it should be made into a Broadway musical so that he can win a Tony for it as well! The acting in this movie was, as i previously stated, life changing. I repeated myself just to getThis movie changed my life. I feel liberated, a new (wo)man, as if I can go out and literally carpe diem James Francos performance was nothing less than Oscar worthy, Golden Glove worthy, Grammy worthy, hell it should be made into a Broadway musical so that he can win a Tony for it as well! The acting in this movie was, as i previously stated, life changing. I repeated myself just to get my point across. Seriously, life changing. Life changing. Life changing. Life changing. So, metacrtic lurker, you may be asking why so life changing? Go see the film and you shall see the face of God, nay Oz.
    xoxo
    Gossip Girl
  16. Mar 30, 2013
    This movie wasn't the right one for me at all. There were some good twists and humor in it but nothing like the original wizard of oz. lets go dorthy.
  17. Apr 6, 2013
    Admittedly I am an Oz aficionado, a family movie fan, and a fan of 3D pseudo-psychedelia. That said, I found Oz in #D to be an interesting and humorous adventure. Raimey does telegraph many of the plot twists and subtlety is not one of the strong points, but as homage, as 21st century re-visioning of the OZ of 1900, as #D extravaganza, the movie was enchanting
  18. Apr 10, 2013
    A magical cheesy ride that passes the time with beautiful aesthetics. I would have liked to see more depth and personally a flurry of songs that does credit to the original. That said I enjoyed the film and performances for what it was. If you like children's films, magic, Oz and adventure then worth a watch.
  19. Apr 10, 2013
    This film was very enjoyable with it's twists and wonderful effects, but Mila Kunis costed this film it's better rating. Her role could've been given to someone more fit for her character. Other than that, I still was very satisfied with the film. Especially in 3D.
  20. Apr 25, 2013
    Fantastic, a very enjoyable movie. The movie graphics are amazing, the colours are great and the characters are brilliant. A very good plot and good story line, very exciting and dazzling, a must see!
  21. Dec 3, 2013
    Falar que falta criatividade em Hollywood e que a onde de continuações, prequels e refilmagens confirma isso chover no molhado, mas, não deixa de ser verdade, e isso pode ser constatado na existência de Oz: mágico e poderoso, um desnecessário capítulo de acontecimentos anteriores ao clássico filme de 1939, que resolvia-se de maneira excelente por si só. Por outro lado, por maisFalar que falta criatividade em Hollywood e que a onde de continuações, prequels e refilmagens confirma isso chover no molhado, mas, não deixa de ser verdade, e isso pode ser constatado na existência de Oz: mágico e poderoso, um desnecessário capítulo de acontecimentos anteriores ao clássico filme de 1939, que resolvia-se de maneira excelente por si só. Por outro lado, por mais desnecessário que o filme possa ser, interessante (e surpreendente) constatar como ele funciona muito bem tanto como um “anteriormente no mundo de Oz”, não negando os fatos vistos no filme original, como também como uma aventura independente, não dependendo da experiência prévia do espectador com Dorothy e companhia para funcionar. E, ao se estabelecer como um bom filme, Oz: mágico e poderoso passa então, a justificar sua “desnecessária existência”.

Iniciando em uma inspirada intertextualidade que homenageia o longa de 1939, Oz: mágico e poderoso nos apresenta Oscar Diggs (ou Oz, seu apelido), um mágico de circo que além da clara falta de talento, exibe também uma falta de ética assustadora, estabelecendo-se como uma figura resmungona, mentirosa, gananciosa e, por tudo isso, sem amigos. Rodado em preto-e-branco e com razão de aspecto de 1.33 1 (similar ao longa da década de 30 que, rodado 1.37: 1, exibia uma tela muito menor e próxima um quadrado), essa introdução eficiente ao estabelecer a existência do protagonista como uma vida pequena e sem cores (sentimentos), tornando sua chegada na terra de Oz levado por um tornado enquanto fugia de uma birga um sinal de que sua vida está para mudar, evidenciado no aumento de sua presença (a razão de aspecto cresce para 2.35 1) e pelo surgimento de cores expressivas na tela.

Claro que, em impacto, essa cena não supera o momento em que Dorothy abre a porta de casa e, através de seu olhar subjetivo, somos espantados com as cores de Oz, mas, uma homenagem bonita, elegante e que, encontra na narrativa uma razão de ser.

Ao chegar terra de Oz, o protagonista tomado como o mágico de uma profecia deixada pelo antigo rei do lugar, e que, viria para libertar todos das mãos da bruxa-má Theodora, que governa a cidade das esmeraldas. Para ajudá-lo em sua jornada, Oz conta com um simpático e divertido macaco voador, uma boneca de porcelana e a bruxa-boa, Glinda. Porém, tudo se complica quando, Evanora, a terceira bruxa (irmã de Glinda e Theodora) tem seu coração partido pelo mágico e se torna a terrível bruxa-má do leste enfrentada por Dorothy.

Contando com um roteiro irregular (de autoria de Mitchell Kapner e David Lindsay), Oz: mágico e poderoso alterna escolhas inspiradas com outras claramente equivocadas. Na primeira definição podemos encaixar a maneira como o filme nos faz “entrar” em sua história e nos importar com o final de seus personagens que, apesar de conhecido ora, já vimos os acontecimentos posteriores em outro filme, não mesmo? em momento algum torna o que vemos na tela menos satisfatório, conseguindo por vezes, despertar o suspense no espectador. Da mesma forma, a maneira como diversas situações posteriores são explicadas de maneira interessantíssima (a ideia do mágico de projetar-se em um rosto gigante) e rimas temáticas são criadas (os presentes entregues ao fim do filme), contribui para angariar pontos positivos para a projeção. Por outro lado, os roteiristas parecem não confiar na capacidade dos espectadores de se entreter com um filme sem um clímax recheado de ação e lutas, já que todo o confronto final entre Glinda e Theodora parece ter sido inserido na trama apenas para dizer “olha, prometemos um grande combate e aqui está ele”.

Irregular também em sua técnica, Oz: mágico e poderoso apresenta um excelente design de produção, amparado em cenários grandiosos e belos em sua explosão de cores e, claro, em figurinos precisos que, por si só, já evidenciam importantes traços da personalidade de seus personagens repare como Glinda usa roupas sóbrias e claras, enquanto Theodora usa um vestido escuro e mais ostensivo e, como a mudança de personalidade de Evanora retratada apenas através de uma inversão no chapéu, revelando por si só como a maldade já era algo inerente bruxa. A fotografia e os efeitos visuais, por outro, surgem irregulares, indo do orgânico (os planos aéreos que passeiam pelos cenários e as expressões realistas do macaco e da boneca de porcelana) ao completo desperdício das técnicas (planos claramente criados em função do 3D, com coisas arremessadas na tela e, claro, a falta de cuidado em certas cenas recheadas de efeitos, onde percebemos nitidamente a “falsidade” do que visto em tela).

O elenco, por outro lado, se sai muito bem. James Franco no papel-título exibe carisma e presença de tela que o garantem como escolha acertada para protagonizar o longa. Rachel Weisz se diverte com suas caras e bocas de má, convencendo como a traiçoeira Theodora. Michelle Willians retrata a bondade de Glinda de maneira eficiente, com expressões e fala t
  22. Jun 18, 2013
    La pelicula es muy mala, es mas me arrepiento un poco de esta nota tan alta comparada a lo aburrido que la pase viendo, la pelicula...................
  23. Apr 27, 2013
    Oz is in my opinion, a masterpiece. This movie is a prequel to the original book and brings with it all the wonder and whimsy of the Land of Oz. The CGi isn't photorealistic, but this lends to that whimsy. It indicates that this world is something different and fantastical. The "shallow" story is the result of this being a world for children. It isn't supposed to be dark or gritty, it isOz is in my opinion, a masterpiece. This movie is a prequel to the original book and brings with it all the wonder and whimsy of the Land of Oz. The CGi isn't photorealistic, but this lends to that whimsy. It indicates that this world is something different and fantastical. The "shallow" story is the result of this being a world for children. It isn't supposed to be dark or gritty, it is supposed to be clean and innocent.

All I can say is watch this movie while keeping in mind the source material.
  24. GFC
    Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I came here and I was shocked on how low the ratings were. When I watched the movie I enjoyed it alot! The movie surprised me with its great visuals and great ideas. The only time when I thought the visuals were bad was from the cartoony green witch. Trying to make an ugly witch out of a normal woman just does not work for me. Expand
  25. Jun 5, 2013
    Moderately enjoyable experience. I found the first 20 minutes in black and white dragged on and there was not much explanation of what the Land of Oz is once we got there. I enjoyed all the indirect references to the original without having the original characters redone. Mila Kunis’s witch makeup is terrible. Laugh out loud funny at the reveal. The Flying Baboons and the Witches wereModerately enjoyable experience. I found the first 20 minutes in black and white dragged on and there was not much explanation of what the Land of Oz is once we got there. I enjoyed all the indirect references to the original without having the original characters redone. Mila Kunis’s witch makeup is terrible. Laugh out loud funny at the reveal. The Flying Baboons and the Witches were scarier before you could see them. The good witch and the China doll were awesome characters. Shame that Franco didn’t really find his groove until the last 10 minutes. Too often I could spot that they were on a sound stage. Which they had done that a bit better. Overall the movie wraps things up nicely and makes up for the first half of the film. Expand
  26. Jun 9, 2013
    Oz the Great and Powerful? More like Oz the Lame and Terrible. I can't believe I wanted to see this movie in the first place. My least favorite person in this movie was Mila Kunis, mostly because of her performance in the second half of the movie.
  27. Jun 17, 2013
    I was so disappointed, it is a nothing movie, charmless and colorless misadventure and misunderstanding for the world magical movies for ex. Alice in Wonderland wasn't perfect but at least it delivered a good time, unlike this powerless, unfunny movie, don't let any of the visuals trick you or catch your eyes. Here is nothing.
  28. Jun 23, 2013
    There are certain films for which can never be produced a fully palatable sequel (or prequel). I think those who made Oz the Great and Powerful knew this and didn't try to make a seamless transition; that was the right choice. I was hesitant going into this film, thinking it would be a disappointment, but I found myself smiling knowingly, laughing many times and in awe of the new placesThere are certain films for which can never be produced a fully palatable sequel (or prequel). I think those who made Oz the Great and Powerful knew this and didn't try to make a seamless transition; that was the right choice. I was hesitant going into this film, thinking it would be a disappointment, but I found myself smiling knowingly, laughing many times and in awe of the new places to be found in the world over the rainbow. Could I ever say that any movie made today can stand alongside the original classic, The Wizard of Oz as an equal? Of course not. But this is the best attempt that I think anyone could hope for and if you judge it on its own and for the tie in's made, I think it's great...and powerful. Expand
  29. Jun 26, 2013
    Don't listen to the critics and haters, the movie will not do you wrong. It has warm moments and great original characters such as the china girl. It also does the classic justice and ties in great with it. Props to James Franco for doing one of his best rolls yet.
  30. Oct 23, 2013
    If anyone was going to tackle the works of the L. Frank Baum and catch the imagery Sami Rami was the perfect choice. The idea was intriguing and not only did Disney pull it off, they also gave us another reason to love the world of Oz.

Oscar(James Franco) is a magician, or more of a con artist and when he ends up in Oz after being pulled into a tornado everyone in Oz thinks he has come to fulfill a prophecy to defeat the evil witch.

The world of Oz is stunning. The visuals for the most part are incredible.It was a pleasant surprice that they did not go too close to the original so viewers would not be making comparisons scene by scene.

The first half hour did feel very rushed and they could of benefited with developing the character of Theodora (Mila Kunis)

A couple of the casting choices seemed miscast like Racheal Weisz who didn't seem to fit the role of Evanora. Mila Kunis defiantly steals the show with a fascinating personality who you seemed to really care about.

James Franco played his character fine and it was a brave choice to cast someone so young.

Overall Oz is a must see for anyone who enjoyed either 1939 Wizard of Oz or the novels. It most certainly has the potential to become a successful franchise.
  31. Jul 20, 2013
    I made plans to see this movie, then I saw it was rated 64% and I was like "oh crap...". Then I saw it anyways and thought it was great. I really like movies that take you to a new world and this did just that. The movie was somewhat unpredicatable which I liked. Anyway, i'd recommend it. I came out of the movie feeling like I just saw something great.
  32. Jul 24, 2013
    "Oz: The Great and Powerful" falls to the middle 'cause it's little bit too frightening for kids and too childish for adults, but is saved by great acting, especially Franco with his not-too-serious performance and excellent visual effects
  33. Aug 18, 2013
    Not the Oz remake I was hoping for. Franco did not carry Oz the way he should have. Even with my love for Kunis, I have to say that her acting in Oz was forced and unnatural. Williams felt out of place, albeit delivering a good performance as the good witch. Weisz proved to be the only shining character in this whole film.
  34. Aug 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Great And Powerful Oz deserves a mixed review I think. It's greatest accomplishment is the visual wonders it achieves. It's worst feature is that it stretches the boundary of incredulity between how a movie can be so superbly visually portrayed with such masterworks of imagination as to continually stun even a jaded creativity, and yet at the same time allow itself to be so damaged by insipid dialogue in its first hour as to actually create the possibility of walking out. It is all the more paradoxical because of the quality of the imagery is so awe inspiring, and by that same measure all the more unforgiveable in that the discrepency is so great, as though two universes of quality existed in the same production effort and na'er the two were allowed to meet. If this disparity can be thought of as a dis-ease, then it is a disease I would instantly to blame on Disney, as the brand may never shake it’s association with dissolution of the soul of it’s stories by drowning them in artificial sweetener. The soul message of it’s story does finally find some ground to stand on, but only after an hour or so of threatening to not have any ground at all, another horror of the beginning.

A movie has two things, the soul of it’s master message and the artfulness with which that message is rendered. If only the visual world created here could have played more of a role than a mere backdrop. But that is usually the way of it. It is the emotional relationship between characters and the quality of dialogue which play the most important role in establishing how artfully the message is being delivered. No matter how great the visuals or how clever the little side stories or how good the acting or even how good the message, nothing can save a movie from bad dialogue, and my goodness how this movie suffers. It is that syndrome I suppose of being trapped in the notion that your main audience will be children, and in not really understanding children well, winding up with something that is dumbed down, hamhanded, cliche, trying to be funny and failing, and just plain insipid. This ends up failing to entertain anyone, children included, and that is not a worthy legacy to the great Frank Baum. The dialogue and humor is not all bad and generally improves in the second half of the movie, but even then it still suffers from mediocrity about half of the time.

The messaging begins to gain it’s very first traction when the good witch Glenda reveals that she knows our protagonist is not really a wizard but a con man, a trickster and yet this is partly because this is how he defines himself within his own mind. If you have stayed to that moment, you will stay to the end. Part of the problem is that there has been no tension established in our wizard character’s personality up to this point. Until this point he is one dimensionally and utterly a boor and a twit with no personal appeal whatsoever. Suddenly however, he becomes interesting, and the movie beings to save itself from ruin. Finally he discovers that he can use his trickstery skills to do good and save Oz from evil. It is an idea which is simplemindedly executed, but ultimately an empowering message and that is probably the best thing about this movie. Until the last scene however, the movie continues to suffer from details which are formulaic cliches before plopping to an end with a standard sentimental happy ending. One such cliche I find hilarious when comparing to the gentle spirituality of Frank Baum is the final superhero battle between the good and bad witch wherein the contest appears to be mostly based on which player has the greatest amount of pure voltage at her disposal an unfortuate nod to the power of technology over spirituality, and a treatment which is unfortunately repeated again and again in modern movie remakes of all the great myths and stories from the past, hence degrading them.
  35. Mar 8, 2014
    Other than the special effects, which are actually distancing us from the whole message of the film, it's a cluttered mess of a tedious plot, unlikable protagonist, and uninteresting villains. Frankly, the 'Wizard of Oz' was good enough. A prequel to a children's fantasy film from the 30's seems dated and utterly pointless. My brother, who's actually older than me, dragged me into this.
  36. Aug 28, 2013
    The story is bad from the beginning to the end. The visuals are not the astonishing art that a usual blockbuster should deliver. James Franco and his wonderful moment is the only nice thing I can save from this one.
  37. Sep 5, 2013
    I have always loved Disney. This is a movie I wouldn't expect from them, because their movies are normally kid movies. This was amazing, and it is my favorite movie. It is hilarious, well-written, interesting, and you are always on the edge of your seat.
  38. Sep 21, 2013
    The magic and eye candy will keep you and the kids interested for a while, but where does it all go after that? So, Franco learns his lesson, plays a trick on Weisz, then rewards everyone who helped him along the way. "The best gift I can give to you is the gift of my friendship." says Franco. I bet he got a lot of s**t for that at the roast.
  39. Apr 28, 2014
    I tend to rate movies based on a few basic points: is it true to itself; is it interesting/stimulating; and does it leave me with a different mood ie does it move me?

I tend to be moved by corny, black and self-aware humour, and Oz managed all three: hence this movie was great for me! There are different ways to define movies by genre, and this one falls, in my private method of

There are different ways to define movies by genre, and this one falls, in my private method of delineation, of 'death dream'. Other movies such as the original Oz, Donnie Darko, Dark City, and possibly the Matrix, fit this bill. Moving an audience past the end of life and onto the bridge between here and not-here is a challenge, and one I love seeing done with consistency within the definitions of the movie itself.

Matrix 2 and 3 were dismal failures becuase they left the lead-centered nature of Matrix 1, and ventured from exploration of concepts into something preposterous. These other movies were successful in the way they maintained the psychological focus within the main character's perceptions and projections, and the world within the movie operated as a function of their psychology.

Oz the Great and Powerful is a pure death-dream movie, and is a continuous journey from one regret and failure to another as the main character transmutes guilt to wholeness. I thoroughly enjoyed the main character's journey!

One a more superficial level, the style of the movie was completely integrated with the characterisations, and I LOVED the wicked witches three! Casting was spot-on! There was an almost total absence of non-white characters - green face-paint and monkeys don't really count, but it was wonderfully refreshing to have the male require saving from time-to-time! And: My name's 'Knuck!!!'

Final verdict: Ya!
  40. Nov 29, 2013
    Oz lacks the magic of its source material and might just be too dark and dull for young viewers. James Franco gives an uninspired performance and to say that a china doll was the best character sums it all up. It's visuals dazzle though.
  41. Dec 16, 2013
    At the beginning normal, then slow and boring and at the end poisonous, there's nothing good to say about this movie besides its good for kids to watch, but as a movie, it is just a film that takes away time of your life. I thought it would be a better representation of the meaning of "Oz, the great and powerful", as its title says. Hopefully, there are other millions of films in the world.
  42. Dec 23, 2013
    This movie was garbage. The black-and-white portion is the best part, and the green screening was horrendous, the visuals were terrible, the supporting cast was little help to Oz, many parts that came were predictable, and was a waste of 215 million dollars, if they even used that much.
  43. Apr 28, 2014
    By accounts, this should have worked. Sam Raimi knows how to give us a good blockbuster, and it had many Oscar nominees in the cast. But it doesn't. The story has been done millions of times before, the characters were all one-note (even Glinda, who is a love interest for some weird reason), and James Franco can't muster up any wonder for the world he's supposedly in- and thus, neither canBy accounts, this should have worked. Sam Raimi knows how to give us a good blockbuster, and it had many Oscar nominees in the cast. But it doesn't. The story has been done millions of times before, the characters were all one-note (even Glinda, who is a love interest for some weird reason), and James Franco can't muster up any wonder for the world he's supposedly in- and thus, neither can we. If it weren't for the eye-popping visual beauty, this film would have nothing. Well, not completely true; it helps if you watch the movie with a slightly perverted friend who can make an innuendo out of every single line and/or event. Because I have first-hand knowledge that it is possible. Expand
  44. Feb 28, 2014
    This movie is basically about Oz who ends up in an enchanted world and has to face 3 witches. Its not like The Wizard of Oz in case you have not seen it. This movie may make some people angry as I am one of the viewers who was Oz (James Franco) is a selfish and greedy fraud. His acting is very good and he fits in well with his role. He meets Theodora (Mila Kunis) eventually throughout hisThis movie is basically about Oz who ends up in an enchanted world and has to face 3 witches. Its not like The Wizard of Oz in case you have not seen it. This movie may make some people angry as I am one of the viewers who was Oz (James Franco) is a selfish and greedy fraud. His acting is very good and he fits in well with his role. He meets Theodora (Mila Kunis) eventually throughout his journey pretending to be the powerful Oz because he knows that he will get money. He is very lucky and manages to trick pretty much everyone there that he is Oz even though he is not. She then takes him to meet her sister one of the witches who he then also tricks into thinking he loves but she doesn't take it to heart as much. He is basically a player. He then leads Theodora on to thinking he loves her but he does not he doesnt know that she is one of the witches and he breaks her heart when she finds out he was a fraud. Her sister Evanora (Racheal Weisz) is also one of the witches they all posses a different power. is the one who he has also lead on. Theodora comes to Evanora crying telling her about "Oz" she then cries in a scene and her tears burn her flesh she does very good acting throughout this whole time. She becomes furious when her face burns and her sister Evanora convinces her to take a potion of some sort to get rid of the pain in her heart. This makes her an evil green which who seeks revenge on Oz. Mila Kunis does not fit in well at all with this role she plays her "evil laugh" is very weak and she just cant pull it off its ridiculous. Eventually Oz meets many more people till he meets the nice witch Glinda who he also then starts make to fall for him he is very good at playing a player in the movie. She also does a very good job playin her role. The evil witch then plans to destroy the land and Oz witch is why she told Theodora to take that potion to turn into an evil witch. The movie seems like it could have been good but these people are dumb..... they just get tricked and think that Oz is the powerful wizard and he is not. Mila Kunis should not have played the evil witch seems like she just got the role because she is a big actress. This guy basically a player, a fraud, a lair, and yet at the end he ends up with falling for the nice princess its just not a good message to kids if that's why its a Disney movie I regret even witching this movie there's much more to the movie but bare with me people. Expand
  45. Sep 23, 2014
    From Director Sam Raimi the guy who brought you (Evil Dead , Spiderman trilogy , drag me to hell) comes his new magical movie. Let me just say Sam Raimi is the horror expert i do not know why Raimi decided to direct oz the great and powerful he is already a legend with directing horrific pictures like Evil Dead , Darkman , Spiderman. Raimi works again with James franco which this movieFrom Director Sam Raimi the guy who brought you (Evil Dead , Spiderman trilogy , drag me to hell) comes his new magical movie. Let me just say Sam Raimi is the horror expert i do not know why Raimi decided to direct oz the great and powerful he is already a legend with directing horrific pictures like Evil Dead , Darkman , Spiderman. Raimi works again with James franco which this movie proves that franco is a nothing but a frail and a rip off for a magician,). The movie also stars Mila Kunis , Michelle Williams , Rachel Weiz , Zac Braff as the monkey , Joey King as the voice of the doll. a good cast makes the perfect recipe for a good movie. Grade B- ( If your a fan of the wizard of oz or Sam Raimi's spider man trilogy you'll love this one) Expand
  46. Jul 10, 2014
    In all honesty, the only reason I watched this movie was because it happened to be on TV and I had nothing else to do. I expected this movie to be okay, not anything truly amazing, and it still managed to greatly disappoint me and waste my time despite my standards not being set very high at all. The visual effects are average and at some points very cheesy, the actors are moreIn all honesty, the only reason I watched this movie was because it happened to be on TV and I had nothing else to do. I expected this movie to be okay, not anything truly amazing, and it still managed to greatly disappoint me and waste my time despite my standards not being set very high at all. The visual effects are average and at some points very cheesy, the actors are more good-looking than talented, and the writing was fairly poor, resulting in a story that lacks sense throughout and that somehow manages to stretch on for over two hours. I was never really a Wizard of Oz fan to begin with, so that may have impacted my level of enjoyment, but none the less, it is difficult to watch this movie and not be distracted by all the nonsense over the course of this movie. Expand
  47. chw
    Jul 20, 2014
    Oz the Great and Powerful should have cast better actors than people who can't actually act, or cast a director who can direct magnificently. This was just as bad as one of the movies they show on the Disney channel. Terrible acting, but could've been spectacular if they acted decently.
  48. Mar 20, 2014
    Some of the worst acting i have ever seen. the movie is just pointless, stupid, and corny. if i didnt pay i wouldve left halfway through. very tough to watch
  49. Mar 30, 2014
    Oz the Great and Powerful is a pretty okay film, but it definitely has it's flaws. While I do think that there are some elements in the story that are good and also some very good visuals, I thought this film was a little cheesy at times and also had some pretty mediocre acting; also the story also had some pretty predictable moments. I think that the film does have it's good elements,Oz the Great and Powerful is a pretty okay film, but it definitely has it's flaws. While I do think that there are some elements in the story that are good and also some very good visuals, I thought this film was a little cheesy at times and also had some pretty mediocre acting; also the story also had some pretty predictable moments. I think that the film does have it's good elements, like there are some elements in the film that were pretty old school, but of course in a good way. Overall Oz is okay, but it's not for everyone. Expand
  50. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie is good, don't get me wrong. But the only way you can really enjoy it is if you block out everything you already know about the original classic the Wizard of Oz. At times it's hard to follow if you are clinging onto that, especially as half of the characters that are in this movie, don't even get the slightest mention in the original which is mean to come after this one on aThis movie is good, don't get me wrong. But the only way you can really enjoy it is if you block out everything you already know about the original classic the Wizard of Oz. At times it's hard to follow if you are clinging onto that, especially as half of the characters that are in this movie, don't even get the slightest mention in the original which is mean to come after this one on a timeline scale. However, forgetting all that the movie is whimsical and magical, and actually at times makes really good comparisons to the original story. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 18, 2013
    At the center of the movie, in place of the ardent, emotionally pulverizing Judy Garland, there is James Franco...as he smirks and winks, his reflexive self-deprecation comes off as a gutless kind of cool, and it sinks this odd, fretful, uncertain movie like a boulder. [18 March 2013, p.86]
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Mar 10, 2013
    What we get here is Oz the Amiable and Unthreatening.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Mar 10, 2013
    It's familiar enough to be comfortable but not so familiar that it feels worn and repetitive.