6.1

1. Jul 30, 2013
    First off, It looks beautiful. Sam Rami did a great job at creating the world of Oz and I am sure that it would have been awesome to see it in 3-D (considering Rami actually made use of it in this film). The acting is ok, James Franco sort of fades in and out for me through out the film. Williams, Kunis, and Weisz do a great job as the witches as well, They really help carry the film. ZachFirst off, It looks beautiful. Sam Rami did a great job at creating the world of Oz and I am sure that it would have been awesome to see it in 3-D (considering Rami actually made use of it in this film). The acting is ok, James Franco sort of fades in and out for me through out the film. Williams, Kunis, and Weisz do a great job as the witches as well, They really help carry the film. Zach Braff is easily the star as the love-able monkey assistant, He was great.

The plot is fine as well but the dialogue just doesn't really cut it. There are parts that are fantastic and others there are really lack-luster. I'd have like to see a script with more solid dialogue through out the film instead of short bursts. The run time was a bit of a killer for me as well. I think it would have been better if it had been a little shorter.

Overall, It wasn't that bad of a movie. I enjoyed watching it and I'd recommend giving it a shot but it wasn't as good as it could have been.
  2. Sep 21, 2013
    The magic and eye candy will keep you and the kids interested for a while, but where does it all go after that? So, Franco learns his lesson, plays a trick on Weisz, then rewards everyone who helped him along the way. "The best gift I can give to you is the gift of my friendship." says Franco. I bet he got a lot of s**t for that at the roast.
  3. Mar 15, 2013
    This prequel explains the Wizard's backstory. After an enchanting opening title sequence, a scruffy traveling magician (James Franco, who's kinda bland) gets blown into a fantastic world of magic and talky witches. Like the Wizard, I wasn't sure where it was headed. The visual style and EFX are either very stylized or very cheesy. There are some truly magical moments, while others are slowThis prequel explains the Wizard's backstory. After an enchanting opening title sequence, a scruffy traveling magician (James Franco, who's kinda bland) gets blown into a fantastic world of magic and talky witches. Like the Wizard, I wasn't sure where it was headed. The visual style and EFX are either very stylized or very cheesy. There are some truly magical moments, while others are slow and maudlin. Some of the supporting characters (including a monkey and porcelain girl) are delightful. Children won't be as picky and will likely be thoroughly enchanted. More demanding grownups may be charmed at times and yawning at others. Expand
  4. Mar 8, 2013
    It's been a long time since I've seen anything this visually brilliant. Oz The great and the Powerful is magic for any child's eyes! This remake of the classic is very well done, other than its gazing fashion which is brought up a lot in this film which is good for a remake. I think every Disney fan won't be disappointed by Sam Raimi 's elegant cinematic experience.
  5. Aug 18, 2013
    Surprisingly dazzling with great special effect and some charming characters. As someone who didn't expect much going into this, and as someone who thought a prequel to the legendary "The Wizard of Oz" was pointless, I must say I was impressed with how much I enjoyed the movie. It in no way lives up to the original movie, but on its own it's still an enjoyable film. It packs humor,Surprisingly dazzling with great special effect and some charming characters. As someone who didn't expect much going into this, and as someone who thought a prequel to the legendary "The Wizard of Oz" was pointless, I must say I was impressed with how much I enjoyed the movie. It in no way lives up to the original movie, but on its own it's still an enjoyable film. It packs humor, excitement, and some surprising emotion. The cast is fantastic, particularly the memorable supporting cast. There are some inaccuracies here and there but overall it ties in nicely with the original movie, and has a slight mature story that tells you not to play with peoples emotions. Overall it's a great film, and while it ay not live up to its predecessor, it's still worth a watch. Expand
  6. Mar 24, 2013
    Everything about the original has turned into a laughable embarrassment that is heartless and mindless. The Great and Powerful Oz is bland, uninteresting and carries no magic or wonder to it. As for James Franco, this should be a wake up call that his acting career needs to end.
  7. Mar 9, 2013
    As whimsical as it is beguiling, "Oz The Great And Powerful" overwhelmingly surmounts its potential; thanks to Sam Raimi's perfectly conceived directorial imagination.
  8. Dec 18, 2013
    When I first heard that Disney was doing a prequel to the Wizard of Oz, I was kind of annoyed. Then I remembered that they did a pretty decent job making a sequel to it, 25 years earlier. My hopes got even higher when I heard that James Franco would star in it. To me, he was such an interesting choice to play the wizard. Franco is a very versatile actor, but he's known more for action andWhen I first heard that Disney was doing a prequel to the Wizard of Oz, I was kind of annoyed. Then I remembered that they did a pretty decent job making a sequel to it, 25 years earlier. My hopes got even higher when I heard that James Franco would star in it. To me, he was such an interesting choice to play the wizard. Franco is a very versatile actor, but he's known more for action and comedy, not family films, but he brings a very interesting dynamic to the movie. Much like the Wizard of Oz and Return To Oz, this film is taken directly from the original Oz stories of L. Frank Baum. Once again, instead of just adapting a book, the screen writers picked and chose from several stories to create this one, and if I may say so, they did a very good job. Of course there is a bunch of Disneyizing to it, as seen with the spunky china girl and the talking monkey, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Franco is terrific and really carries the story. He combines his charms and looks with goofiness and ingenuity to make his character come alive in a way that L. Frank Baum would have loved. He's paired with Mila Kunis who is also really good and used to playing unlikable characters...Shut up Meg! What I especially liked about this film is how they played off the original. Starting in black & white, in an old box format, before opening up to the tradition high def. widescreen view was ingenious. I also loved how people from the black & white story had roles in Oz, just like the original. What was strange though is that they made Oz out to be a real place and discounted the whole dream aspect of the stories. In all of Baum's writings it was never known for a certainty weather or not Oz was a real place. The fact of the matter is that nothing in this genre will ever be as good as the original Wizard of Oz, but The Great & Powerful answers a lot of questions, is taken directly from the writings of the original author, has a great cast, and really does an impressive job of connecting to a film that was made 75 years earlier. Expand
  9. Jun 24, 2013
    You can dissect this movie in every way and find a way to degrade it to the original, or you can take it for what it is. It is a delightful treat to see great visuals with wonderful characters.
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    This film is a pleasant surprise. Unlike other fairy tale movies like both Snow White movies and Alice in Wonderland, this film has characters you care about. James Franco does a solid job as Oz, but it's the supporting cast, (like Zach Braff's Finley the monkey and a little adorable china doll) that makes this film an enjoyable ride.
  11. Sep 23, 2014
    From Director Sam Raimi the guy who brought you (Evil Dead , Spiderman trilogy , drag me to hell) comes his new magical movie. Let me just say Sam Raimi is the horror expert i do not know why Raimi decided to direct oz the great and powerful he is already a legend with directing horrific pictures like Evil Dead , Darkman , Spiderman. Raimi works again with James franco which this movieFrom Director Sam Raimi the guy who brought you (Evil Dead , Spiderman trilogy , drag me to hell) comes his new magical movie. Let me just say Sam Raimi is the horror expert i do not know why Raimi decided to direct oz the great and powerful he is already a legend with directing horrific pictures like Evil Dead , Darkman , Spiderman. Raimi works again with James franco which this movie proves that franco is a nothing but a frail and a rip off for a magician,). The movie also stars Mila Kunis , Michelle Williams , Rachel Weiz , Zac Braff as the monkey , Joey King as the voice of the doll. a good cast makes the perfect recipe for a good movie. Grade B- ( If your a fan of the wizard of oz or Sam Raimi's spider man trilogy you'll love this one) Expand
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    First off, what is with the hate on James Franco? He performed just fine! The film is actually better than it had any right to be, and in some respects, it makes the 1939 film even better. The film looks great too. The visuals look really colorful and beautiful. The clever twists at the end are just the icing on the cake
  13. Mar 8, 2014
    Other than the special effects, which are actually distancing us from the whole message of the film, it's a cluttered mess of a tedious plot, unlikable protagonist, and uninteresting villains. Frankly, the 'Wizard of Oz' was good enough. A prequel to a children's fantasy film from the 30's seems dated and utterly pointless. My brother, who's actually older than me, dragged me into this.
  14. Mar 21, 2013
    A disappointing return to Oz. Visually dazzling at times, but I literally felt like I was watching a cartoon at times. The tone switches awkwardly from sweet/humorous to dark/ominous; the combination doesn't work and makes the whole project feel messy. The performances were underwhelming. The main problem I had with the film is that, for the most part, I was completely bored. Add to thatA disappointing return to Oz. Visually dazzling at times, but I literally felt like I was watching a cartoon at times. The tone switches awkwardly from sweet/humorous to dark/ominous; the combination doesn't work and makes the whole project feel messy. The performances were underwhelming. The main problem I had with the film is that, for the most part, I was completely bored. Add to that the tonal inconsistencies, cartoon visuals, and disappointing performances, you get a film that's hard to enjoy for all it has to offer. I thought the finale was great; the last 20-30 minutes were really entertaining and also added to the original 1939 film. As for the rest of the 90 minute running length though, well, I couldn't wait to get out of Oz. Oz is an okay film, but (re)enter at your own risk. Expand
  15. Sep 7, 2013
    A triumphant prologue opens up a film that tosses and turns in its confidence and ambition, ultimately falling short of the magical and memorable moments that made the original Oz film such a classic. What the film is missing is the definition of fantasy and reality, the original often toyed with the audience about whether Dorothy ever went to the Emerald City, but this film sets out withA triumphant prologue opens up a film that tosses and turns in its confidence and ambition, ultimately falling short of the magical and memorable moments that made the original Oz film such a classic. What the film is missing is the definition of fantasy and reality, the original often toyed with the audience about whether Dorothy ever went to the Emerald City, but this film sets out with many callbacks and mentions to the original, but doesn't add up to a significant or plausible adventure. This is a prequel, a "how it all began" approach, but James Franco shows a different side to the man we may remember, he womanises, frauds and cheats anyone he meets, until he here whisked away in a hurricane (sound familiar?) and ends up in the mystical land that shares his magician name, Oz. While stunning and epic on beauty, it feels empty and a chance to show how far special effects can push the spectrum, the familiar yellow brick road is there, but it was much more fulfilling seeing Dorothy, Scarecrow and friends bouncing along and singing their way to the great city, but in this, Oz arrive in moments after meeting a beautiful witch Theodora (Mila Kunis), who sees no wrong in her new companion, and then he is gone again, off to defeat the wicked witch.
    The film takes an interesting but under-explained twist, one which has very little build-up in terms of deep character development, it all happens very fast, leaving little time to revel in some of the finer moments of the film, the set pieces are big, but the plot inconsistencies put a darker light on moments that could have been appreciated more. These scenes pick up well after a slow start in the land of Oz, but tonal shifts and confusing assumptions still cloud the goal that was trying to be reached by the ambitious director Sam Raimi. I'm still on the fence about the casting of James Franco as the "great and powerful" Oz, he brings an interesting charm to the role, but seems to miss the opportunity at a charismatic and controlling individual, something the heavily rumoured Robert Downey Jr. would undeniably have brought. Mila Kunis is certainly the standout of the film, she plays a conflicted and passionate character in Theodora, proving her worth when it matters most. Her sister in the film is played by the talented Rachel Weiz, who is a charming yet equally cunning witch who never sits easy as the film unfolds.
    This isn't the return to Oz that I'm sure we all hoped for, while there are very impressive visuals and some sturdy performances, one can't help but revisit the old ways to sing a long with Dorothy and her pals, rather than a heavy CGI flick with only passing moments of marvel.
  16. Mar 10, 2013
    Excessive length kills an already verbally challenged storyline. I must confess to not being a huge fan of the land of Oz. There is no denying the classic status of 1939's 'The Wizard of Oz', but recent theatrical productions have either been truly awful (Wicked) or overly familiar ('Wizard of Oz). This Oz fares no better. James Franco is charismatic as the fake wizard injecting bothExcessive length kills an already verbally challenged storyline. I must confess to not being a huge fan of the land of Oz. There is no denying the classic status of 1939's 'The Wizard of Oz', but recent theatrical productions have either been truly awful (Wicked) or overly familiar ('Wizard of Oz). This Oz fares no better. James Franco is charismatic as the fake wizard injecting both humour and a liveliness into the proceedings, but the film runs out of steam long before the second half. Compensations are to be had with the aesthetics of the film. Costumes, Art-Direction, Visual effects and Make-up are all truly amazing and the film looks the millions of dollars that it probably cost to make. It is probably the best looking film of the year so far. However, it is probably the worst scripted also, and where film making is concerned it is always better to have a good story to get involved with than a visual feast. Both in sync is the ideal. This Oz is basically a boring, but beautiful series of pictures. Expand
  17. Apr 23, 2013
    Mention the Wizard of Oz in America and everyone has an opinion, it's an institution. In Britain it doesn't have the same effect which may make most people over here quite cynical when it comes to this prequel or maybe it means they will see it impartially. However this didn't happen for me because ultimately it just felt like any other fantasy film, a pretty one for sure but nothing in itMention the Wizard of Oz in America and everyone has an opinion, it's an institution. In Britain it doesn't have the same effect which may make most people over here quite cynical when it comes to this prequel or maybe it means they will see it impartially. However this didn't happen for me because ultimately it just felt like any other fantasy film, a pretty one for sure but nothing in it ever distinguished it as the prequel to a classic. In fact it turned me off the original slightly. The film follows Oz an arrogant, slimy Kansas magician who is swept up in a hurricane and transported to Oz. He must travel the land that sees him as its savior despite his inherent nature. However he must contend with an evil witch (or two) along the way as well. It's a shame that a director known for being adventurous and ambitious plays Oz so incredibly safe in not only casting but story. There are certain qualities to be found in Oz that are hidden away beneath a wealth of mediocrity and problems, most of which reduce the film to an average family picture that will leave you empty on your exit. James Franco makes a good Oz but there is nothing surprising about his performance, it just feels as though he was a good choice, but not the right one. Michelle Williams however continues to impress with her turn as Glinda the good witch as she is knowledgeable, whimsical and a realist, something Williams shows almost effortlessly. Rachel Weisz entertains too but she is let down by Mila Kunis who is terribly miscast. Her naive witch comes across as irritating and when her character changes, you can guess how, she just becomes loud and even more irritating. An attempt to call back to the camp of the original just turns into poor emulation, especially in regards to the witches. The story itself is basic, bordering on formulaic forcing the film to impress with its visuals which like i said it does but it just isn't enough. The addition of sidekicks for Oz makes him a different kind of Dorothy with Zach Braff and Joey King playing a flying monkey and a china doll who can see the best and the worst in him. In fact the two of them are the most memorable parts of this film adding some great comic relief as well as most of the film's heart. The film has heart but it doesn't have enough to mask the problems and all around average feeling the movie creates Expand
  18. Sep 11, 2013
    A decent enough movie that has some rather pretty visuals. Some interesting characters and it is fun to see how the land of Oz came to be what it was in the classic movie.

Some OK performances, but nothing memorable. Milla Kunis, while unbelievably hot as usual, perhaps seems to be having too much fun with her role, if ever there was a modern example of over acting, she is it. Franco is,? Well? Franco is Franco. A bit hard to see him as anything else as his range isn't that far. China Girl (Joey King) was just so adorable and my favorite character of the movie. A really heartwarming performance. The rest of the cast are just forgettable.

Overall:
    An OK movie that was better than I expected, but not by much.
  19. Mar 11, 2013
    First the good news. The film looks great and the 3D is fantastic. Unfortunately the casting is all wrong. I can hear it now "Let's see, James Franco was in one of my Spiderman films, cast him as the Wizard. Oh, James is best friends with Mila Kunis, so put her in the film as a witch." etc. etc. The 1939 film is the success it is because of the casting, writing, and sets. This oneFirst the good news. The film looks great and the 3D is fantastic. Unfortunately the casting is all wrong. I can hear it now "Let's see, James Franco was in one of my Spiderman films, cast him as the Wizard. Oh, James is best friends with Mila Kunis, so put her in the film as a witch." etc. etc. The 1939 film is the success it is because of the casting, writing, and sets. This one only has the sets. You know something is wrong when you are constantly upstaged by a flying monkey and that is a computer creation. He is the only one with personality. The only actor that clicked with me was Michelle Williams as Glenda the Good Witch. The best part of the entire film was the fantastic 3D at the opening credits. Overall, a disappointment. Expand
  20. Dec 16, 2013
    While this film has a cliché story and meh characters it does have some charm. Some of the characters are likeable and the story decent. Additionally, this is the Wizard of Oz the film stays true to the spirit of the classic film, which helps it feel acceptable as a prequel. I’d recommend this film to anyone who didn’t like Return to Oz as this film is more colorful and light-hearted. ThisWhile this film has a cliché story and meh characters it does have some charm. Some of the characters are likeable and the story decent. Additionally, this is the Wizard of Oz the film stays true to the spirit of the classic film, which helps it feel acceptable as a prequel. I’d recommend this film to anyone who didn’t like Return to Oz as this film is more colorful and light-hearted. This film is also good for kids as the film seems to be their target audience so they’ll probably enjoy themselves. For me this is a rental. Not entirely bad but nothing spectacular. If you are looking for a decent film to kill some time this is the movie to check out. It’s not as good as Return to Oz but it is definitely better than the last big budget live action film from Disney Alice in Wonderland (2010). Expand
  21. Mar 13, 2013
    A solid prequel to the classic that is 'The Wizard of Oz', and while it might make you think twice about the original (similar to what Wicked did for me) it's certainly for the good. Heavy on CGI, perhaps, but that seems to be the way films are going these days. The actors all played their roles perfectly and I particularly liked Finley & China Girl. It's also a great storyline that reallyA solid prequel to the classic that is 'The Wizard of Oz', and while it might make you think twice about the original (similar to what Wicked did for me) it's certainly for the good. Heavy on CGI, perhaps, but that seems to be the way films are going these days. The actors all played their roles perfectly and I particularly liked Finley & China Girl. It's also a great storyline that really picks up towards the end with a great ending. Overall a film I thoroughly enjoyed Expand
  22. Mar 24, 2013
    Surprisingly, this was one spectacle. Even though it doesn't live up to the original "The Wizard of Oz" it's still one to behold. I was afraid that it would be like "Alice in Wonderland" a wonderluss boring tale with some bad acting. Thank God that wasn't the case. It does have cheesy moments, but overall it's a visual marvel.
  23. Oct 1, 2013
    Oz the Great and Powerful was actually better than I thought it would be.My favorite characters in the movie was the China girl, and Witch of the west.Allot of people seem to think this is a remake but it`s a separate story.
  24. Nov 9, 2014
    Oz lacks the magic of its source material and might just be too dark and dull for young viewers. James Franco gives an uninspired performance and to say that a china doll was the best character sums it all up. It's visuals dazzle though.
  25. Jun 7, 2013
    "Oz the Great and Powerful" manages to continue the spirit of its legendary predecessor, marked with darkness and tension—and it's an enjoyable to watch for the visual effects alone. The film contains many nods to the original "The Wizard of Oz" (1939), without it feeling forced or taking away from the story at hand. The film acknowledges the moments for those with a fondness for the"Oz the Great and Powerful" manages to continue the spirit of its legendary predecessor, marked with darkness and tension—and it's an enjoyable to watch for the visual effects alone. The film contains many nods to the original "The Wizard of Oz" (1939), without it feeling forced or taking away from the story at hand. The film acknowledges the moments for those with a fondness for the childhood classic. It is a relatively faithful remake, but comes up short on surprises for a truly, memorable adventure.

The film starts off in black & white as we are introduced to Oz (James Franco), ho-hum life as a magician traveling with the “Baum Brothers” circus. One day, while escaping in a hot air balloon from an enraged strongman, Oz is caught in a tornado and deposited in Oz. Color now enters the world after landing into this new magical land; and when he gets there, it certainly does come to life. Oscar's arrival is afforded with full color, widescreen treatment by Raimi and his band of CGI landscapers. Though garishly convincing, the world of Oz lacks the 'wow' factor of James Cameron's "Avatar" (2009). Once there, meets the witch Theodora (Mila Kunis), who believes he represents the fulfillment of a prophecy made by the late king. She escorts Oz to Emerald City, where he meets Theodora's sister, Evanora (Rachel Weisz). In order to claim the throne, however, he must travel into the Dark Forest and kill the Wicked Witch.

James Franco is fine as our protagonist this film, for the most part. Oscar comes across more as a sleazy opportunist--a man conflicted with his inner-demons. His charm and attitude-works well in this film-as he is forced to politely lie and muddle his way through the adventure. Fortunately, the performances by the witches are more entertaining, but to discuss any of the three characters in any detail might spoil what few surprises are to be had. The latter half of the film in particular is dominated by the trio, and thankfully so. Weisz and Williams are fitting as Evanora and Glinda--but it is Mila Kunis, who truly comes to dominate the film with her commanding performance as Theodora.

It is largely an entertaining piece of eye candy that goes on longer than it should. It benefits from having a director who brings energy, humor, and emotion to what could have been a soulless exercise, much like "Alice in Wonderland" (2010). "Oz the Great and Powerful" was never going to hit the same heights as the 1939 classic, nor was it ever fair to expect or presume it to do so. It is a film decidedly of its era, and while it is quite the spectacle, the present-day nature of the CGI effects means it will likely become dated and overlooked relatively quickly.
  26. chw
    Jul 20, 2014
    Oz the Great and Powerful should have cast better actors than people who can't actually act, or cast a director who can direct magnificently. This was just as bad as one of the movies they show on the Disney channel. Terrible acting, but could've been spectacular if they acted decently.
  27. Jun 4, 2013
    "To say "OZ" is powerful is pushing its boundaries a little bit, but great is a fair assessment. Oz is a visually stunning spectacle with enough dazzle and humor to make up for its overbearing run-time, middling performances and modest conclusion." B
  28. Mar 16, 2013
    I think Oz: the Great and Powerful is decent but the action and magical scenes were too violent for kids to see. I mean, the March season is a bit stale this season and I still have to wait for G.I. Joe Retalliation coming soon. There's no new releases for me so far although I'm not the last person seeing Jack the Giant Slayer because the film was a big failure at the box office. I stillI think Oz: the Great and Powerful is decent but the action and magical scenes were too violent for kids to see. I mean, the March season is a bit stale this season and I still have to wait for G.I. Joe Retalliation coming soon. There's no new releases for me so far although I'm not the last person seeing Jack the Giant Slayer because the film was a big failure at the box office. I still like James Franco, but where's Johnny Depp when you need him? It's gonna be a tough year for Disney, but I hope that Oz could be better than the poor John Carter last year. I'll wait for a rental. Expand
  29. Mar 16, 2013
    Great visuals, nice cast. the monkey is cool too. The storyline is OK, it's like a prequel to the original Oz. The 3d effects are decent. Such movies are good to let your brain rest and to take you away from everyday routine. Nothing more.
  30. Nov 29, 2013
  31. Mar 11, 2013
    At heart Oz is a moral story of good and bad (the witches), and good and great (Oz), though the journey of the characters from one to the other are not always as complete (Oz) or credible as they could be (the wicked witch).

Starting with Oz himself, a 'magician' in Kansas, nothing wrong with that, he knows he is a fraud, but he is also an arrogant, womanising, unscrupulous shyster. By the end of the film, I'm not sure how many of those traits he has learnt the error of, despite upsetting most of Oz, before saving the day with a combination of earthly illusions and charm. James Franco's casting raised eyebrows, however I think he brought a degree of humility to the role that made Oz vaguely likeable. I am certain I could not have coped with Robert Downey Jr's (the producers first choice) style of arrogance in the role.

Franco is supported by an accomplished cast of witches in Kunis, Weisz and Williams, and its Williams who wins hands down with her measured and gentle performance. Kunis is smouldering as always while Weisz seems to be trying too hard. Without giving anything away, I was disappointed in the transformation of one of the witches to the famous Wicked Witch of the West. The gravitas of the role seemed too much for the actress in question. Zach Braff adds value as Oz's beleaguered assistant in Kansas and the voice of a comedy sidekick flying monkey in Oz. The same can be said for Joey King, voicing China Girl with a sincerity that belies her years.

Director Sam Raimi delivers a vibrant, colourful landscape, similar to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, that looks sublime at times but sometimes the CGI was overpowering. The green screen certainly earned its pay-check. Raimi adds some neat references to the film's source, most notably the 4:3 sepia tone introduction in Kansas, which looks great in addition to the old fashioned style of shots.

Overall, considering my expectations I was slightly disappointed but there is just enough magic here, in Raimi's visuals and elements of the plot, to suggest the return to Oz was worthwhile.
  32. Mar 25, 2013
    Enjoyable fantasy flick by Sam Raimi may have the same 'plot points' as Disney's own Alice in Wonderland, but done in such an enthusiastic fashion that you just can't help but smile. Raimi and the casts infuse so much energy into this production that it covers up some inconsistencies in the plot. Psychedelic production values and a lot of humor made this feel like an acid trip. While theEnjoyable fantasy flick by Sam Raimi may have the same 'plot points' as Disney's own Alice in Wonderland, but done in such an enthusiastic fashion that you just can't help but smile. Raimi and the casts infuse so much energy into this production that it covers up some inconsistencies in the plot. Psychedelic production values and a lot of humor made this feel like an acid trip. While the CGI might feel a little too much, but when it works (i.e. in China doll's case), it really works. One thing I like is that Oz doesn't really gain any magic powers by the end of the film, and its conclusion is so consistent with his character and his abilities. Kudos for Franco for selling this character, in a role meant for Rob Downey Jr. of all people. Expand
  33. Mar 17, 2013
    Oz contains not so good performances and a horrible flowing script. However the visuals bring out of being a huge failure in this forgettable in this pathetic Disney adaptation of how Oz found his way in the classic wonderland.
  34. May 8, 2013
    Honestly just wanted to see this film by Michelle Williams; and the truth not me surprised, was what I expected: a bad film. Good Special effects but its only this, no more.
  35. Mar 12, 2013
    Oz: The Great And Powerful turns out to be a very honorable prequel to 1939's The Wizard Of Oz. The script and acting is so well written and intelligent. Not to mention it has an all-star cast including James Franco, Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis, and Rachel Weisz who are all very believable for each of their roles. But one of the biggest things that blew me away was the special effects.Oz: The Great And Powerful turns out to be a very honorable prequel to 1939's The Wizard Of Oz. The script and acting is so well written and intelligent. Not to mention it has an all-star cast including James Franco, Michelle Williams, Mila Kunis, and Rachel Weisz who are all very believable for each of their roles. But one of the biggest things that blew me away was the special effects. Very well made movie. My rating is 3/4 stars. Expand
  36. Mar 18, 2013
    The movie is actually not that bad.. i think it was okay but it could be much better. Recommended family movie! My score for "Oz the Great and Powerful" is 6/10...that's the highest personal score i can give.
  37. Mar 10, 2013
    This movie worked for me. I do not understand the lukewarm reception this film gets. Possibly its that people have all seen the first one and have spent a lifetime imagining this material. What I found watching this movie is a great homage to the first film while never trying to outdo its predecessor. Some scenes fell flat but others shined like the china doll sequence. It is somewhatThis movie worked for me. I do not understand the lukewarm reception this film gets. Possibly its that people have all seen the first one and have spent a lifetime imagining this material. What I found watching this movie is a great homage to the first film while never trying to outdo its predecessor. Some scenes fell flat but others shined like the china doll sequence. It is somewhat predictable but is a great piece of work. Expand
  38. Mar 23, 2013
    This film had many things that could have gone wrong, but they really did a great job. It´s beautiful and colourful. The beginning in black and white is cool and when the wizard finally arrives in Oz... wow it´s so beautiful. Of course this is a film based on the visual effects and tries to pay homage to the original. But it´s not an empty film at all. It´s way better than Alice inThis film had many things that could have gone wrong, but they really did a great job. It´s beautiful and colourful. The beginning in black and white is cool and when the wizard finally arrives in Oz... wow it´s so beautiful. Of course this is a film based on the visual effects and tries to pay homage to the original. But it´s not an empty film at all. It´s way better than Alice in Wonderland. The actors did a good job. The movie is constantly funny and people enjoy it from start to finish. There are a few moments that feel truly scary (totally unexpected for me) and the two best characters (the monkey and the little porcelain girl) are great. Incredible that they make you feel sad for a character like that little porcelain. Totally recommendable. Not a masterpiece but at least what all big blockbusters full of visual effects should be Expand
  39. Jun 18, 2013
    La pelicula es muy mala, es mas me arrepiento un poco de esta nota tan alta comparada a lo aburrido que la pase viendo, la pelicula...................
  40. Mar 12, 2013
    “Oz the Great and Powerful” deals with the themes of believing and how powerful faith can be. The story handles the theme very well with clever writing and homages to the older film (keep in mind that this is a prequel to the actual story and not the 1939 classic film by MGM). Sam Raimi does a good job of directing the film. He mixes humor with the more semi-serious moments. There are“Oz the Great and Powerful” deals with the themes of believing and how powerful faith can be. The story handles the theme very well with clever writing and homages to the older film (keep in mind that this is a prequel to the actual story and not the 1939 classic film by MGM). Sam Raimi does a good job of directing the film. He mixes humor with the more semi-serious moments. There are moments of excitement that gets the blood going and legitimately scary moments that make you jump out your seat. However, the story mainly in the middle gets a bit confused on what it is about and what’s happening. Along with that, certain things feel a bit rushed particularly when Oz arrives in Oz.

The acting and characters for the most part are decent. Oz, James Franco, is pretty much the scene stealer as one would hope from a movie titled “Oz.” Franco brings a lot of charisma and charm to the character along with being relatable. He sometime goes a bit over the top, but when he puts on his big cheesy smile almost everything is forgiven. Mila Kunis is okay in the movie at best, but half way through she become not so good. Her character feels forced and any emotion she tries to convey comes off as trying too hard. There’s a flying monkey and little porcelain girl that bring a lot of the heart to the film. They’re incredibly likable and help show off some of the humanity in Oz.

I particularly like the visual effects. The backgrounds are well detailed and immerses the viewer into the world. There are some moments were you can tell it’s CGI and the character don’t blend well with the background, but they don’t appear very often. The musical score by Danny Elfman is effective, but not too memorable until the third act.

Overall, “Oz the Great and Powerful” isn’t great, but it is still pretty good. The special effects are great, but have some spotty moments, the score my Elfman is solid, and James Franco’s performance steals the show. However, there are some minor story issues in the first two acts and the acting by the rest of the cast, especially Mila Kunis, leaves more to be desired. The final act of the film is spectacular though and sums up everything great about the film incredibly well. I give it an incredibly high 3.5/5, acting could use some work, but Franco and the third act make this a really good experience.
  41. Mar 8, 2013
    It's March and there is finally a film released in 2013 that I was looking forward to going to the theater and watching. My expectations for this film were not super high, I certainly would never expect it to live up to the original which is one of the greatest films of all time. I expected a respectable origin story, great visuals, and maybe a few easter eggs thrown in for fans of theIt's March and there is finally a film released in 2013 that I was looking forward to going to the theater and watching. My expectations for this film were not super high, I certainly would never expect it to live up to the original which is one of the greatest films of all time. I expected a respectable origin story, great visuals, and maybe a few easter eggs thrown in for fans of the original. With Raimi directing two of the better young actors working today, and two other more than capable actresses I didn't feel that my expectations were too high. I was blown away...with how poorly this film turned out.

In two hours plus there is no story here that we don't already know from the original material, none, the screen writing couldn't possibly have been lazier. The acting is bad, soap opera bad. Some may possibly give Franco or Williams a pass because of the material. However no one will give Kunis a pass when she is transformed into the wicked witch of the west. If you need a reminder of how an over the top stereotypical witch should be played go back and watch a few minutes of Margaret Hamilton's version.

There are several new characters introduced, as expected and as there should be. Unfortunately not one of them worked. Some are introduced for humor, some to tug at the heart strings, and some for plot devices. Not one of them is effective, and none of them are memorable.

Probably most disappointing of all were the visuals of the film. I know the 1939 version probably doesn't actually look better, but the fact that I had that thought several times during the course of the movie gives you a glimpse into how poor the visuals were. The only exception was the opening credits and first 20 minutes of the film. All this was the black and white portion of the movie. These are the only moments where it is not obvious that the actors are on a sound stage going through the motions.

The Wizard Of Oz was perfect family entertainment. Whimsical, humorous, frightening, and endearing. The characters were one dimensional, yes, but they were fun and we cared about them. Oz The Great And Powerful is none of these things. All I wanted was a glimpse back into aspects of the original. Instead I received my worst theater experience since Spiderman 3. Wait who was responsible for that one?
  42. Apr 29, 2013
    The thing that lets this film down the most is the terrible terrible dialogue. If you're drowning in water and there's nobody around, do you start yelling "I can't swim!" No you don't. It's as if the director thinks we're so moronic that we need everything spelled out for us. James Franco is incredibly annoying to the point where you want to just slap that inane smile from his face. HisThe thing that lets this film down the most is the terrible terrible dialogue. If you're drowning in water and there's nobody around, do you start yelling "I can't swim!" No you don't. It's as if the director thinks we're so moronic that we need everything spelled out for us. James Franco is incredibly annoying to the point where you want to just slap that inane smile from his face. His acting is ATROCIOUS, but with a script like that it's hardly surprising. Loaded with cliches (cackling witches anyone?) this film is a soulless, special effects driven mess that will be forever known by people with taste as a thorn in the side and embarrassment to the original. Avoid like the zombie plague Expand
  43. Apr 28, 2013
    It is boring and less magical than recent movies with almost the same plot such as Alice in Wonderland which is amazing, but this it is not entertaining not good but the thing is that it is visually stunning, it is like lyrics without music, it is not good, it is not entertaining, it is boring and
  44. Jun 23, 2013
    The film starts off unimpressively in B&W and old-timey but if you can endure past Oscar's trip to Oz then you're in for a visual feast. You really need a 55-in or larger 3D HDTV to really benefit from this offering, I have one from LG, and the cinematography stands out as its own feature. We come into Oz in full saturated color at full 1080p, quite a treat. And there are severalThe film starts off unimpressively in B&W and old-timey but if you can endure past Oscar's trip to Oz then you're in for a visual feast. You really need a 55-in or larger 3D HDTV to really benefit from this offering, I have one from LG, and the cinematography stands out as its own feature. We come into Oz in full saturated color at full 1080p, quite a treat. And there are several jump-from-your-seat moments that are best experienced in 3D. The plot and characters are aimed more at tween girls but it's tolerable for the rest of us, especially towards the climactic end for which you should have tissues on hand. Overall, it's a great prequel for one of America's enduring family classics. Expand
  45. Mar 16, 2013
    It was very beautiful. It rose to the level of tim burtons alice in wonderland. The cinematography was strong as well as art direction, visual effects and overall protection of the original story. However, this is not a good film. The downfall of this picture are 3 fold. The screenplays dialogue, pace of the long and overcapitalized story, and the acting. These flaws throw the bliss of theIt was very beautiful. It rose to the level of tim burtons alice in wonderland. The cinematography was strong as well as art direction, visual effects and overall protection of the original story. However, this is not a good film. The downfall of this picture are 3 fold. The screenplays dialogue, pace of the long and overcapitalized story, and the acting. These flaws throw the bliss of the movie into destruction and ended up being a lame duck. Expand
  46. Mar 8, 2013
    Ever since my love for film sprang to life in the form of Christopher Nolan’s Memento in 2000, I have been dreading the moment that I would have to publicly, and in print, come out and say that the 1939 feature film version of L. Frank Baum’s childrens stories The Wizard of Oz was by no means a favourite of mine.

Made 48 years after the year of my birth, the American classic is

Made 48 years after the year of my birth, the American classic is undoubtedly an achievement in style, form and film especially knowing that the cinematic venture had four directors attached to it at one time, a slew of production issues and inexplicable disasters.

Today, 74-years after the original American classic, Disney has decided to carefully [given copyright laws and agreements] deliver a prequel to audience members and their grandparents without many lions, or tigers or bears, or ruby slippers or chin moles, oh my! Nearly a decade ago, Disney decided to adapt a film from a amusement park ride in the form of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. Fast forward ten years, and now Disney is doing the opposite and trying to make a feature film an elaborately lush, often cheesy and nauseating roller-coaster type film in the form of Oz the Great and Powerful. But just like any other roller coaster, Oz the Great and Powerful does have its fun and amusing moments. Starting in the same fashion of the original film, Oz the Great and Powerful shines in glorious black and white. Introducing us to Oscar Diggs (James Franco) in tributing 4:3 Academy ratio then to a 16:9 widescreen ratio once Diggs enters the magical land of Oz, director Sam Raimi and his team gets it right at first. But as the land of Oz begins to widen and its characters, as well as Diggs’ journey, begins to unfold, somewhere over the rainbow is where the story and movie looses so much of its magic.

Franco plays Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Issac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs, small time magician in a moving circus, con-artist and 20th Century playboy. After playing a routine show with his trusty and undervalued sidekick Frank (Zach Braff), Oscar gets a surprise visit from a former flame Annie (Michelle Williams) informing him of her engagement. Sentimental and vulnerable, Oscar is chased away from the circus on a hot-air ballon where he is faced off against an angry twister and sent in to the colourful world of Oz. Rich and saturated with colour, Oz fatefully introduced Oscar to Theodora (Mila Kunis) and is brought to speed about the prophecy of a great and powerful wizard appearing out of thin air to the land to free them from the evil witch. Skeptical at first, before knowing of his inheritance in gold thanks to his advisor Evanora (Rachel Weisz), Oscar’s agrees to rid of the evil witch. Aided by an unusual team of friends, Finley, a monkey with wings (voiced by sidekick Zach Braff again) and China Girl (Joey King) as well as the Glinda The Good Witch (Michelle Williams), Oscar, simply a man in a fantastical world, is faced with his greatest con yet.

There is no denying the enchantingly entertaining spirit of Oz the Great and Powerful. Screenwriters Mitchell Kapner and Robert Lindsay-Abaire tried so very hard [given so many copyright regulations] to keep the spirit alive from Braun’s literature and the original feature film. But where the film lacks in spirit and true spell-binding beauty it makes up for in CGI-laden set designs and characters. It is quite a shame to think that the most emotionally involving and manipulating instances of the film revolved around Finley and China girl, two CGI-derived characters. Although the film really feels authentic and one may get lost in the first black and white act, one becomes a bit distracted with the constant objects shooting out of the small 4:3 ratio frame repeatedly. It seems like Disney has yet to find a film where they can exercise Real D 3D in moderation. But one must not forget the origins of the man who was at the helm of Oz the Great and Powerful, Sam Raimi. A masterclass in camp and B-films, Raimi was the man responsible for the lowest AND highest points for Spider-Man on film as well as the cheap and campy Evil Dead trilogy. In true original fashion, Raimi never strays away from the cheap thrills, cliched one-liners, and narrative predictability. Raimi and his crew tried so hard to find the magic of its predecessor but must be soon realizing that there is no place like home, especially given his success in the horror genre with his last entry Drag Me To Hell.
  47. Apr 20, 2013
    Not the best movie of year 2013,but fair enough humor and 3De ffects make movie is watchable.I felt movie is lacking a steady plot.Anyway this worth to watch if you in to simple pop corn movies.
  48. Jun 17, 2013
    I was so disappointed, it is a nothing movie, charmless and colorless misadventure and misunderstanding for the world magical movies for ex. Alice in Wonderland wasn't perfect but at least it delivered a good time, unlike this powerless, unfunny movie, don't let any of the visuals trick you or catch your eyes. Here is nothing.
  49. Jan 11, 2015
    Though it most certainly doesn't have as much songs as the original film, Oz the Great and Powerful is a spectacular film that you'll enjoy a lot! It has plenty of funny scenes and the end will make you want to root on the good guys!
  50. Mar 8, 2013
    There are times it is magical and reminds you why you love the original. Then there are other times it is too campy and too corny. Franco may have been miscast but he does a fine job in the role and Zach Braff provides a lot of laughs as his monkey sidekick. It's not awful just don't be expecting art.
  51. Mar 9, 2013
    Forget the original. Taking this film on its merits, of which there are few, there is a gaping chasm between what I might deem to be watchable and this movie. Most of the film panders to either slow children or simpering adults, don't know which. I went into the film given Sam Raimi the director yet another chance to redeem his pitiful directorial career, and again, he falls short. RachelForget the original. Taking this film on its merits, of which there are few, there is a gaping chasm between what I might deem to be watchable and this movie. Most of the film panders to either slow children or simpering adults, don't know which. I went into the film given Sam Raimi the director yet another chance to redeem his pitiful directorial career, and again, he falls short. Rachel Weisz does her usual bad job, adding to the misery of this film. While I am not a special effects guru, most of the film looked flat and boring. Another waste of time from Hollywood, thanks for another bad evening at the movies. As my children are not mouthbreathing knuckledraggers they won't be seeing this movie. Expand
  52. Mar 30, 2014
    Oz the Great and Powerful is a pretty okay film, but it definitely has it's flaws. While I do think that there are some elements in the story that are good and also some very good visuals, I thought this film was a little cheesy at times and also had some pretty mediocre acting; also the story also had some pretty predictable moments. I think that the film does have it's good elements,Oz the Great and Powerful is a pretty okay film, but it definitely has it's flaws. While I do think that there are some elements in the story that are good and also some very good visuals, I thought this film was a little cheesy at times and also had some pretty mediocre acting; also the story also had some pretty predictable moments. I think that the film does have it's good elements, like there are some elements in the film that were pretty old school, but of course in a good way. Overall Oz is okay, but it's not for everyone. Expand
  53. Jun 27, 2013
    The movie exceeded my expectations. Unlike other fairy tale adaptations, such as Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland, the movie uses it's visual effects and use of 3D as a way of throwing some relevance towards the world revolved around the characters. Although it's story heavily borrows some elements from several Disney pictures, it worked for the story line and functions as clever tributes.The movie exceeded my expectations. Unlike other fairy tale adaptations, such as Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland, the movie uses it's visual effects and use of 3D as a way of throwing some relevance towards the world revolved around the characters. Although it's story heavily borrows some elements from several Disney pictures, it worked for the story line and functions as clever tributes. Oscar Diggs (James Franco) has to grow as a person and it's actions are what made him learn from his mistakes and to eventually transform himself into a better man and The Wizard Of Oz. The movie is groundbreaking in certain aspects and is able to entertain the audience with it's own witty tricks and surprisingly spends more time developing it's characters. James Franco clearly wasn't the first choice to portray the Wizard, but eventually he suited the part and offers us a grounded performance. Michelle Williams also offers an immensely likable and charming performance as the bubbly Glinda and often resembles the classical image of Disney Princesses. Rachel Weisz is the typical Disney villain, a woman who possesses a great amount of wealthiness as well as wickedness. Though other actresses could have made the character extremely evil, it's ultimately nice watching Weisz enjoying herself and delivering a cunning and suitably envious image towards her role. Mila Kunis is the one who brings the cleverest and easily distinguishable performance in this adventure. In between both sides, Kunis manages to pull off with an ease a naive young woman and manages to convince us with a simple look that literally pays homage to the golden age of Hollywood. Kunis walks away with the honors for bring such depth and relevance to a character who ends up becoming so iconic and quite frankly tragic after her magnetic performance.
    I had a blast travelling to the magical land of Oz and it's a ride I would surely repeat.
  54. Mar 26, 2013
    Going into this "Oz", I expected at least a moderately coherent plot, serviceable acting, and some decent special effects, but apparently even those expectations were too high. For the amount of money spent on this movie, and the amount of work put into it, the result is underwhelming to put it mildly. The overall quality of the film could be compared to a Disney Channel movie. JamesGoing into this "Oz", I expected at least a moderately coherent plot, serviceable acting, and some decent special effects, but apparently even those expectations were too high. For the amount of money spent on this movie, and the amount of work put into it, the result is underwhelming to put it mildly. The overall quality of the film could be compared to a Disney Channel movie. James Franco's acting ranged from decent to bad, and Mila Kunis' performance ranged from sleepwalk-acting to soap opera-level awful (at some points she was unintentionally hilarious). I would recommend it for children 6 and under, but even then, there are scenes in "Oz" that would actually be terrifying for very young children. In the end, I will say to just avoid this movie if possible. Expand
  55. Mar 8, 2013
    complete garbage. Disney claims that its films are for the family, but they are for kids and no one else, don't be fooled! Disney is not capable of making anything other than kid garbage. They are completely incapable of creating multidimensional characters, realistic dialog or anything that makes an actual quality film. This is nothing more than a shameless money grab. Very sad for somecomplete garbage. Disney claims that its films are for the family, but they are for kids and no one else, don't be fooled! Disney is not capable of making anything other than kid garbage. They are completely incapable of creating multidimensional characters, realistic dialog or anything that makes an actual quality film. This is nothing more than a shameless money grab. Very sad for some of these great actors that have been tarnished by this garbage. I hope they made a lot of money, and can't wait to see the return of their real careers. Expand
  56. Jun 19, 2013
    A little less CGI and a maybe someone else besides James Franco in the title role would have made this movie worth watching. I enjoyed the black and white element in the beggining but a bad script is a bad script. Also for those scratching there heads to a number of scenes this is a prequal to the book Not the movie. Overall it was interesting at times but dull and lifeless overall.
  57. Mar 13, 2013
    I wouldn't call this a good movie because it was really cheesy. However, I did enjoy it enough to say that it's not a complete waste of time. I'm not a fan of the orginal, so I took this movie for what it was. My wife is a die hard fan of the orginal, and she hated it. I guess that tells you everything you need to know.
  58. Aug 18, 2013
    Not the Oz remake I was hoping for. Franco did not carry Oz the way he should have. Even with my love for Kunis, I have to say that her acting in Oz was forced and unnatural. Williams felt out of place, albeit delivering a good performance as the good witch. Weisz proved to be the only shining character in this whole film.
  59. Mar 9, 2013
    If you are expecting this intense, exciting adventure, you will be disappointed. If you are expecting a hilarious comedy, you will also be disappointed, just as you would be if you were expecting this emotional powerhouse, or a thought provoking masterpiece. What this is is a very mild version of each of those, which by no means should be taken as a serious movie. This is actually prettyIf you are expecting this intense, exciting adventure, you will be disappointed. If you are expecting a hilarious comedy, you will also be disappointed, just as you would be if you were expecting this emotional powerhouse, or a thought provoking masterpiece. What this is is a very mild version of each of those, which by no means should be taken as a serious movie. This is actually pretty similar to recent story adaptations such as Snow White and the Huntsman and Alice in Wonderland, neither of which I really liked. It's not very original at all, it drags in spots, but it has a few laughs, some mildly emotional moments, and a small bit of exciting action. What separates this from those movies is James Franco's performance. He is so intentionally over the top, that it gives the impression that the movie doesn't take itself too seriously. James might be the only person involved in the whole movie who realizes how hokey and corny it is, but he owns it, and that makes it enjoyable. He basically hams up the screen as if he is making a mockery of the script. The movie would be pretty terrible if this quest to defeat the witch were taken as seriously as the script seems to take it, but James has fun with it, and doesn't take the movie seriously at all, which becomes contagious. I guess you have to go into it with that same attitude for it to work. It works for little kids anyway, but James makes it work for adults too. Of course it looks great, and there are some genuinely good moments too, like how they reveal the witches. I do like the references to the original movie, like how it starts out in black and white (basically things they could get away with without having the rights). Kids will like it, and adults will like it if you like the original, and you go into it taking it very lightly. Expand
  60. Dec 16, 2013
    At the beginning normal, then slow and boring and at the end poisonous, there's nothing good to say about this movie besides its good for kids to watch, but as a movie, it is just a film that takes away time of your life. I thought it would be a better representation of the meaning of "Oz, the great and powerful", as its title says. Hopefully, there are other millions of films in the world.
  61. Apr 17, 2013
    I am not particularly fond of the original movie, which I consider to be overly saccharine and wildly overated, mostly by people who fantasise obsessively about "movie magic" and how great the movies of the thirties and forties were. I really wasn't expecting much. In fact I only went to this one because I made an error in booking. So I was pleasantly surprised at how witty, emotionallyI am not particularly fond of the original movie, which I consider to be overly saccharine and wildly overated, mostly by people who fantasise obsessively about "movie magic" and how great the movies of the thirties and forties were. I really wasn't expecting much. In fact I only went to this one because I made an error in booking. So I was pleasantly surprised at how witty, emotionally engaging and spectacular this film is. James Franco is not all that appealing, but the performances of the three witches are great especially Michelle Williams. The special effects are pretty good, the humour was fine, the romantic riffs were deftly handled. And the porcelain doll was particularly well done she has most of the best lines, for a start. The 3D was excellent as well. Congrats to Sam Raimi for pulling something so good out of pretty unpromising material. A real labour of love, with plenty of movie magic of its own. Expand
  62. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie is good, don't get me wrong. But the only way you can really enjoy it is if you block out everything you already know about the original classic the Wizard of Oz. At times it's hard to follow if you are clinging onto that, especially as half of the characters that are in this movie, don't even get the slightest mention in the original which is mean to come after this one on aThis movie is good, don't get me wrong. But the only way you can really enjoy it is if you block out everything you already know about the original classic the Wizard of Oz. At times it's hard to follow if you are clinging onto that, especially as half of the characters that are in this movie, don't even get the slightest mention in the original which is mean to come after this one on a timeline scale. However, forgetting all that the movie is whimsical and magical, and actually at times makes really good comparisons to the original story. Expand
  63. Mar 13, 2013
    A melodramatically cheesy script, a little miscasting, and some missed opportunities at twists make this much-anticipated film a disappointment. For those wanting winks and nods at the MGM classic will become desperate for anything. Those who are able (and willing) to watch with fresh eyes without any expectations might find this film more enjoyable.
  64. Jun 28, 2013
    Gwaaaah, what a terrible movie. James Franco should NOT be a leading actor and Mila Kunis should NOT be a leading actress. It had a good set of ideas and what could have been a really touching story that was just trampled on my ham-fisted acting. Gwah.
  65. Jul 30, 2013
    A good film to see if you love the world of Oz, but otherwise, not too great of a film, from its basic, cliché (and quite frankly, pointless) story, to its poor overuse of CGI throughout the film.
    Don't get high expectations.
  66. Apr 25, 2013
    Fantastic, a very enjoyable movie. The movie graphics are amazing, the colours are great and the characters are brilliant. A very good plot and good story line, very exciting and dazzling, a must see!
  67. Mar 13, 2013
    James Franco is the best actor I've ever seen. True Talent!!! He deserves much more attention because he is great!
  68. Apr 25, 2013
    This movie is not half bad. James Franco was a good pick for the role. If they had gone with Robert Downey, his persona would have made all the interactions seem too dirty while Franco's silly innocence keeps it light. Great effects and some good humor are also what make it worth the watch.
  69. Apr 8, 2013
    While this film got great visuals, the attacking by James Franco and the three witches is less than except able and its shows that it is a Disney film. I have nothing against Disney. In fact I love Disney. However you can tell Disney and director Sam Raimi were trying to make the film kid friendly. The wicked witch of the west is not as scary as the original. There are no memorable quotesWhile this film got great visuals, the attacking by James Franco and the three witches is less than except able and its shows that it is a Disney film. I have nothing against Disney. In fact I love Disney. However you can tell Disney and director Sam Raimi were trying to make the film kid friendly. The wicked witch of the west is not as scary as the original. There are no memorable quotes and the dialogue does not contain any complex words. All in all this is a good movie for kids but think about it before bringing older kids to it. Expand
  70. Apr 1, 2013
    that was amazing. I loved the films like Alice in Wonderland and this movie was kind of like that, i thought the cast was good and the 3D fit in well and it was very entertainig. Overall 10/10 i would reccomend this to anyone who liked Alice in Wonderland
  71. Mar 9, 2013
    There seem to be a lot of cynics out there who wish to view this as a simple cashgrab by Disney. While it may have some of that, the film on a whole does not suffer it. It is a most enjoyable experience in a way that the Star Wars prequel trilogy failed to achieve it does not try to live up to or surpass the greatness of the original. Rather, it tries and succeeds at using some of theThere seem to be a lot of cynics out there who wish to view this as a simple cashgrab by Disney. While it may have some of that, the film on a whole does not suffer it. It is a most enjoyable experience in a way that the Star Wars prequel trilogy failed to achieve it does not try to live up to or surpass the greatness of the original. Rather, it tries and succeeds at using some of the magic of yesterday to tell a story for today's audience. An outright remake would have drawn poorly comparisons from the get-go, while this you could still walk into open-minded (if you don't listen to critics like Mr. Morgenstern who was just waiting for the opportunity to use a turn of the phrase in the Tin Man and make us belief that his opinions should matter. If you are getting your movie watching advice from WSJ instead of your real life friends and family first, and the actual public second well, there is no hope for you anyway). This walked a fine balance and told a suspenseful-enough tale that reminds you that magic does not have to die in your childhood. Expand
  72. Apr 28, 2014
    By accounts, this should have worked. Sam Raimi knows how to give us a good blockbuster, and it had many Oscar nominees in the cast. But it doesn't. The story has been done millions of times before, the characters were all one-note (even Glinda, who is a love interest for some weird reason), and James Franco can't muster up any wonder for the world he's supposedly in- and thus, neither canBy accounts, this should have worked. Sam Raimi knows how to give us a good blockbuster, and it had many Oscar nominees in the cast. But it doesn't. The story has been done millions of times before, the characters were all one-note (even Glinda, who is a love interest for some weird reason), and James Franco can't muster up any wonder for the world he's supposedly in- and thus, neither can we. If it weren't for the eye-popping visual beauty, this film would have nothing. Well, not completely true; it helps if you watch the movie with a slightly perverted friend who can make an innuendo out of every single line and/or event. Because I have first-hand knowledge that it is possible. Expand
  73. Apr 10, 2013
    This film was very enjoyable with it's twists and wonderful effects, but Mila Kunis costed this film it's better rating. Her role could've been given to someone more fit for her character. Other than that, I still was very satisfied with the film. Especially in 3D.
  74. Jun 29, 2013
    Had our family smiling and managed to keeps us engaged. The darkness may be to strong for those that are younger than 8-9 or so... Exceeded my low expectations.
  75. Mar 30, 2013
    "Oz the Great and Powerful" is a beautifully executed callback to the original 1939 film. The most important thing to remember is that this is a prequel to "The Wizard of Oz." There is just enough Oz and enough differences to make this a successful film. Fantastic visuals, clever sleight of hand, and a talented cast makes this a joyful experience for people of all ages.
  76. Mar 8, 2013
    This movie is a major disgrace to the 1939 version. They can't go thirty seconds into a song without being interrupted by another character. Long story short: NOTHING LIKE THE ORIGINAL
  77. Aug 24, 2013
    Being a prequel to "The Wizard of Oz" (Which, by the way, is the most critically acclaimed movie on all of Metacritic), people probably had high expectations for this movie. Because it wasn't amazing, I think that many people are under-rating it. It's still good and as far as a prequel goes, I thought they did a good job. While at times they add that "Disney Magic" which as much of anBeing a prequel to "The Wizard of Oz" (Which, by the way, is the most critically acclaimed movie on all of Metacritic), people probably had high expectations for this movie. Because it wasn't amazing, I think that many people are under-rating it. It's still good and as far as a prequel goes, I thought they did a good job. While at times they add that "Disney Magic" which as much of an inner child I am does slightly annoy me, the story line works well. The visual effects aren't exactly Avatar standard, but they don't stoop as low as "Spy Kids: Game Over" either. For the movie that it was, I thought the visual effects were reasonable. Overall, it's not the most amazing movie you'll ever see, but it's still enjoyable. Expand
  78. Jun 9, 2013
    I felt this was a pretty good movie actually. At times, it was like watching Alice in wonderland more than anything. Maybe because of all the twisted environment with colors. But it had some nice characters in the movie, but it all came together I think a bit too fast. I wanted to see more of the background stories of each character. The main character was solid but I think just didn'tI felt this was a pretty good movie actually. At times, it was like watching Alice in wonderland more than anything. Maybe because of all the twisted environment with colors. But it had some nice characters in the movie, but it all came together I think a bit too fast. I wanted to see more of the background stories of each character. The main character was solid but I think just didn't make me feel that much into the movie as if i was watching it with maybe Johnny Depp? It's just the dialogue sometimes either felt awkward or no point. It was just very PGish. i know it's a Disney movie, so expect that. But It was just too 'happy feel good' for me. There were no real threat or turmoil and urgency to save the world of Oz. Overall, a solid good movie but i thought it would have been much better than it turned out. The movie title doesn't exactly show it. Maybe Oz got too consumed with power or something. It would have been a much better side plot than a love story with the witch sisters. Expand
  79. Mar 13, 2013
    It's a masterpiece. The "professional" reviewers are again, completely out to lunch. A beautifully realized vision of the land of Oz, and perhaps the best prequel ever made, and no I am not related to Sam Raimi.
  80. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be in the shadow of the original, it certainly didn't suck. The dialogue is witty, and the references weren't forced. The casting was stupid though, (I mean Mila Kunis as the wicked witch of the west, really?). But with that said, it is still enjoyable despite being in the shadow of a masterpiece. Expand
  81. Aug 26, 2013
    Horrible
    it's not just horrible, this cost 215 million to make.
    Same as Jack the Giant Slayer ,The Lone Ranger, Man of Steel, Battleship, World War Z, Pacific Rim, Snow White & the Huntsman, Wreck-It Ralph, Furious 6. Movies that are great, impress me are great movies with very little budget, not only that movie that made huge profit. Movies like Jurassic Park, The Lion King, Ice
    Horrible
    it's not just horrible, this cost 215 million to make.

Movies that are great, impress me are great movies with very little budget, not only that movie that made huge profit. Movies like Jurassic Park, The Lion King, Ice Age,Independence Day, Star Wars. I don't understand why would a company let directer to spend that enormous money. Most high budget films are bad, some are good, but not worth a money.
  82. Oct 23, 2013
    If anyone was going to tackle the works of the L. Frank Baum and catch the imagery Sami Rami was the perfect choice. The idea was intriguing and not only did Disney pull it off, they also gave us another reason to love the world of Oz.

Oscar(James Franco) is a magician, or more of a con artist and when he ends up in Oz after being pulled into a tornado everyone in Oz thinks he has come to fulfill a prophecy to defeat the evil witch.

The world of Oz is stunning. The visuals for the most part are incredible.It was a pleasant surprice that they did not go too close to the original so viewers would not be making comparisons scene by scene.

The first half hour did feel very rushed and they could of benefited with developing the character of Theodora (Mila Kunis)

A couple of the casting choices seemed miscast like Racheal Weisz who didn't seem to fit the role of Evanora. Mila Kunis defiantly steals the show with a fascinating personality who you seemed to really care about.

James Franco played his character fine and it was a brave choice to cast someone so young.

Overall Oz is a must see for anyone who enjoyed either 1939 Wizard of Oz or the novels. It most certainly has the potential to become a successful franchise.
  83. Aug 28, 2013
    One point for Michelle Williams's performance which was fantastic. Everything else in this film was poorly crafted, poorly performed, and generally uninteresting. I suppose if you thinking yelling is acting, really like James Franco for whatever reason, or have no concept of what tension is this film would be worth watching.
  84. Jun 28, 2013
    Well, it did deserve a point just to see Mila Kunis in tight leather pants. Thank you, Di$ney. Oh, and another point to the actors for sticking it out through this turd. Otherwise, I'd recommend watching something with a little more substance--like Spongebob.
  85. Mar 20, 2013
    A fabulous fantasy and a blast to watch, Oz the Great and Powerful is visually powerful and a great family movie!!! Great acting (you actually feel sorry for a specific character), fantastic visuals, and a handful of references to Disney fairy tales and the original 1939 classic. Plus, despite being over 2 hours long, this Oz prequel never has a boring moment integrated into it. SamA fabulous fantasy and a blast to watch, Oz the Great and Powerful is visually powerful and a great family movie!!! Great acting (you actually feel sorry for a specific character), fantastic visuals, and a handful of references to Disney fairy tales and the original 1939 classic. Plus, despite being over 2 hours long, this Oz prequel never has a boring moment integrated into it. Sam Raimi has outdone himself!!!

Its' also clean for the most part. Though I do have to point out that if your younger ones were frightened by the witches/flying monkeys in the original Oz, stay FAR AWAY from this hot air balloon ride. This rendition of the classic magical land is a considerably darker and scarier place. Unlike the G-rated original that's fine for most 4 and 5 year olds on up, this PG-rated prequel of sorts is more for ages 9 and up.

For a more detailed review, visit www.moviestakenseriously.blogspot.com
  86. Mar 18, 2013
    I was mostly baffled by the amount of dialogue in what was intended to be a children's movie. Every 10 minutes of action (and by action, I mean characters actually doing something, not necessarily fighting) was interrupted by another 20 minutes of dialogue-based exposition.
  87. Mar 8, 2013
    It's a visual treat. The Special Effects are AMAZING!! Followed by great performances esp by Rachel Weisz. It is funny occasionally and the monkey character 'Finley' voiced by Zack Braff is Fantastic. Overall a Fun Movie. The script could have been sharper.
  88. Mar 10, 2013
    Genuinely Funny. Characters are good and the annoying ones are supposed to be annoying. Old fashion looking purposefully low quality effects are awesome. Very good cgi visuals it is very good looking. Entire black and white intro is awesome.
  89. Mar 11, 2013
    How anyone actually likes this is a shock to me! Bad acting, bad directing, bad special effects. A pointless prequel to say the least. James Franco was awful, completely unbelievable as Oz. Sam Raimi should be embarrassed at how bad this movie is. It had no heart, no brain, and no courage.
  90. Mar 26, 2013
    Oz the Great and Powerful is very well done and for the most part well acted, but the story just wasn't there for me. It seemed too silly when it was supposed to be serious, and not that funny when they were trying to be funny. With that said, I'm sure kids everywhere will enjoy this movie, so this is a great family movie to watch.
  91. Jun 23, 2013
    There are certain films for which can never be produced a fully palatable sequel (or prequel). I think those who made Oz the Great and Powerful knew this and didn't try to make a seamless transition; that was the right choice. I was hesitant going into this film, thinking it would be a disappointment, but I found myself smiling knowingly, laughing many times and in awe of the new placesThere are certain films for which can never be produced a fully palatable sequel (or prequel). I think those who made Oz the Great and Powerful knew this and didn't try to make a seamless transition; that was the right choice. I was hesitant going into this film, thinking it would be a disappointment, but I found myself smiling knowingly, laughing many times and in awe of the new places to be found in the world over the rainbow. Could I ever say that any movie made today can stand alongside the original classic, The Wizard of Oz as an equal? Of course not. But this is the best attempt that I think anyone could hope for and if you judge it on its own and for the tie in's made, I think it's great...and powerful. Expand
  92. Aug 28, 2013
    The story is bad from the beginning to the end. The visuals are not the astonishing art that a usual blockbuster should deliver. James Franco and his wonderful moment is the only nice thing I can save from this one.
  93. Mar 23, 2013
    Went in with extremely low expectations and came out feeling quite happy with the entire experience. Yes, there's lots of CGI but its great and doesn't need to be believable as we are in the fantastical world of OZ. Glad Disney stuck to the original story. The beginning and opening credits are worth every minute! Some cheesy moments but we are watching an OZ film!
  94. Sep 5, 2013
    I have always loved Disney. This is a movie I wouldn't expect from them, because their movies are normally kid movies. This was amazing, and it is my favorite movie. It is hilarious, well-written, interesting, and you are always on the edge of your seat.
  95. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oz the Great and the Powerful is an entertaining film, but one that has numerous drawbacks. The story arc of this film is good enough and flows into the original Wizard of Oz quite well. There seemed to be a good amount of respect for the original movie and I think that goes a long ways as to not offending fans of the classic. This is also a gorgeous film, with great CGI environments and CGI characters. I found the 3D effects to be quite immersive and beneficial. Sadly the acting just isn't up to par, with the two fully CGI supporting characters outshining the live actors in pretty much every way. I thought James Franco had progressed as an actor after seeing him in 127 hours and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, however he was overly cheesy, in a non-convincing way, in this one. I'll chalk it up to being miscast. Same goes to Mila Kunis, who was mind bogglingly miscast to be the Wicked Witch from the classic Oz. Not only was the transformation unremarkable, but they continued to use her likeness and voice after she became the witch. This was jarring and unconvincing. One second you're hearing Meg Griffin and the next you're hearing a wicked witch cackle that was voiced over by someone else. I think this was the biggest problem of the movie and one that could have easily been remedied by using a different actress as the wicked witch and having the transformation happen gradually throughout the movie instead of over the course of 5 minutes. Seeing the character breaking down over a longer period of time would have made the psychology behind the Wicked Witch much more interesting. Overall the movie is an entertaining one time watch, but could have easily been much more if the acting matched the aesthetics of the movie. 6/10 Expand
  96. Mar 11, 2013
    This film is entertaining, contains beautiful visuals and a few perfectly realized moments and characters. However the overall tone it achieves completely mismatches the whimsical nature of the setting. The 1939 film knew how to set the right tone the bad guys were bad guys, the good guys were good guys, the story was straightforward and it never got TOO serious. Oz the great and powerfulThis film is entertaining, contains beautiful visuals and a few perfectly realized moments and characters. However the overall tone it achieves completely mismatches the whimsical nature of the setting. The 1939 film knew how to set the right tone the bad guys were bad guys, the good guys were good guys, the story was straightforward and it never got TOO serious. Oz the great and powerful feels like it's trying to be a fantasy epic along the lines of Lord of the Rings squeezed into a storybook setting.
    Everything about this is too serious and detracts from the childlike fantasy setting. Characters have complex and multi-layered motivations, including some really tragic backstories and character arcs that are way too dark, and action sequences with stakes that are too high tha play out more like jedi lightsaber battles.
    I'm not sure what tone Raimi was going for here, but between the whimsical setting and character design and the all-too-serious story, there's not even a comfortable middle ground.
  97. Mar 17, 2013
    Juvenile, awful directorship, an unfortunate use of 3D (incomparable to Ang Lee's use of 3D Life of Pi) which gave me a terrible headache. The woeful attempt at homour was absurd.
    Unsophisticated with banal motivational lines about believing blah blah. The actors possessed little acting skills, with perhaps the exception of Michelle Williams who managed to portray a tolerable (but not exceptional) Glinda and Rachel Weisz (who wasn't at her best). James Franco's Oz was extremely annoying and if that's what the director hoped to achieve then he accomplished this feat extremely well. However, the dangers of manifesting the egotistical, greedy and seedy characteristics of Oz without any charming offsetting traits has its disadvantages.Consequently, I felt no empathy with any of the characters with the exception of Theodora (despite Mila Kuni's poor performance) one managed to garner some understanding relating to her hatred of the Wizard (however, I attribute that due to my own feelings of contempt towards him). This film has not lived up to its exceptions but I blame Disney for appointing a terrible Director. With a huge budget it could have done so much more.
  98. Mar 19, 2013
    I was really hoping this would be a good film. I grew up in the 1990s and used to watch The Wizard of Oz every year with my family for Thanksgiving as a kid. And to my surprise, at the age of 23, I can still say it's one of my favorite movies of all-time. With that said, I knew 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' could never reach the status of the original. I just wish I could have liked itI was really hoping this would be a good film. I grew up in the 1990s and used to watch The Wizard of Oz every year with my family for Thanksgiving as a kid. And to my surprise, at the age of 23, I can still say it's one of my favorite movies of all-time. With that said, I knew 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' could never reach the status of the original. I just wish I could have liked it enough to walk out of the theater satisfied, and wanting to buy it on Blu-ray. I didn't. Another reviewer mentioned how this is a kid's movie, not a family movie. I couldn't agree more. And it's such a shame, because kids aren't that stupid. Or at least, you don't have to reduce them to that. I appreciated The Wizard of Oz as a kid because Judy Garland was beautiful, and believable, the Witch was scary, and all the side characters played a crucial role in the story. In Oz: The Great and Powerful, I never became attached to any of the main characters (namely James Franco and Mila Kunis), and the side characters felt more like extras from Shrek (except they stayed on screen far longer than they should have). All in all, the semi-clever ending wasn't too bad, and to me, that's what saved the film. If not for that, the poor structure in the first half of the film, and the misplaced acting (Franco and Kunis are good actors, but weren't meant for this film) would have killed it for me. Rent it, or wait for it to come out on Netflix, it's not necessarily worth going to the theater for. Expand
  99. GFC
    Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I came here and I was shocked on how low the ratings were. When I watched the movie I enjoyed it alot! The movie surprised me with its great visuals and great ideas. The only time when I thought the visuals were bad was from the cartoony green witch. Trying to make an ugly witch out of a normal woman just does not work for me. Expand
  100. Jul 20, 2013
    I made plans to see this movie, then I saw it was rated 64% and I was like "oh crap...". Then I saw it anyways and thought it was great. I really like movies that take you to a new world and this did just that. The movie was somewhat unpredicatable which I liked. Anyway, i'd recommend it. I came out of the movie feeling like I just saw something great.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 18, 2013
    At the center of the movie, in place of the ardent, emotionally pulverizing Judy Garland, there is James Franco...as he smirks and winks, his reflexive self-deprecation comes off as a gutless kind of cool, and it sinks this odd, fretful, uncertain movie like a boulder. [18 March 2013, p.86]
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Mar 10, 2013
    What we get here is Oz the Amiable and Unthreatening.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Mar 10, 2013
    It's familiar enough to be comfortable but not so familiar that it feels worn and repetitive.