6.1

1. Nov 9, 2014
    Oz lacks the magic of its source material and might just be too dark and dull for young viewers. James Franco gives an uninspired performance and to say that a china doll was the best character sums it all up. It's visuals dazzle though.
  2. Sep 23, 2014
    From Director Sam Raimi the guy who brought you (Evil Dead , Spiderman trilogy , drag me to hell) comes his new magical movie. Let me just say Sam Raimi is the horror expert i do not know why Raimi decided to direct oz the great and powerful he is already a legend with directing horrific pictures like Evil Dead , Darkman , Spiderman. Raimi works again with James franco which this movie proves that franco is a nothing but a frail and a rip off for a magician,). The movie also stars Mila Kunis , Michelle Williams , Rachel Weiz , Zac Braff as the monkey , Joey King as the voice of the doll. a good cast makes the perfect recipe for a good movie. Grade B- ( If your a fan of the wizard of oz or Sam Raimi's spider man trilogy you'll love this one) Expand
  3. chw
    Jul 20, 2014
    Oz the Great and Powerful should have cast better actors than people who can't actually act, or cast a director who can direct magnificently. This was just as bad as one of the movies they show on the Disney channel. Terrible acting, but could've been spectacular if they acted decently.
  4. Jul 10, 2014
    In all honesty, the only reason I watched this movie was because it happened to be on TV and I had nothing else to do. I expected this movie to be okay, not anything truly amazing, and it still managed to greatly disappoint me and waste my time despite my standards not being set very high at all. The visual effects are average and at some points very cheesy, the actors are more good-looking than talented, and the writing was fairly poor, resulting in a story that lacks sense throughout and that somehow manages to stretch on for over two hours. I was never really a Wizard of Oz fan to begin with, so that may have impacted my level of enjoyment, but none the less, it is difficult to watch this movie and not be distracted by all the nonsense over the course of this movie. Expand
  5. Apr 28, 2014
    By accounts, this should have worked. Sam Raimi knows how to give us a good blockbuster, and it had many Oscar nominees in the cast. But it doesn't. The story has been done millions of times before, the characters were all one-note (even Glinda, who is a love interest for some weird reason), and James Franco can't muster up any wonder for the world he's supposedly in- and thus, neither can we. If it weren't for the eye-popping visual beauty, this film would have nothing. Well, not completely true; it helps if you watch the movie with a slightly perverted friend who can make an innuendo out of every single line and/or event. Because I have first-hand knowledge that it is possible. Expand
  6. Apr 28, 2014
    I tend to rate movies based on a few basic points: is it true to itself; is it interesting/stimulating; and does it leave me with a different mood ie does it move me?

I tend to be moved by corny, black and self-aware humour, and Oz managed all three: hence this movie was great for me!

There are different ways to define movies by genre, and this one falls, in my private method of
    delineation, of 'death dream'. Other movies such as the original Oz, Donnie Darko, Dark City, and possibly the Matrix, fit this bill. Moving an audience past the end of life and onto the bridge between here and not-here is a challenge, and one I love seeing done with consistency within the definitions of the movie itself.

Matrix 2 and 3 were dismal failures becuase they left the lead-centered nature of Matrix 1, and ventured from exploration of concepts into something preposterous. These other movies were successful in the way they maintained the psychological focus within the main character's perceptions and projections, and the world within the movie operated as a function of their psychology.

Oz the Great and Powerful is a pure death-dream movie, and is a continuous journey from one regret and failure to another as the main character transmutes guilt to wholeness. I thoroughly enjoyed the main character's journey!

One a more superficial level, the style of the movie was completely integrated with the characterisations, and I LOVED the wicked witches three! Casting was spot-on! There was an almost total absence of non-white characters - green face-paint and monkeys don't really count, but it was wonderfully refreshing to have the male require saving from time-to-time! And: My name's 'Knuck!!!'

Final verdict: Ya!
  7. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie is good, don't get me wrong. But the only way you can really enjoy it is if you block out everything you already know about the original classic the Wizard of Oz. At times it's hard to follow if you are clinging onto that, especially as half of the characters that are in this movie, don't even get the slightest mention in the original which is mean to come after this one on a timeline scale. However, forgetting all that the movie is whimsical and magical, and actually at times makes really good comparisons to the original story. Expand
  8. Mar 30, 2014
    Oz the Great and Powerful is a pretty okay film, but it definitely has it's flaws. While I do think that there are some elements in the story that are good and also some very good visuals, I thought this film was a little cheesy at times and also had some pretty mediocre acting; also the story also had some pretty predictable moments. I think that the film does have it's good elements, like there are some elements in the film that were pretty old school, but of course in a good way. Overall Oz is okay, but it's not for everyone. Expand
  9. Mar 20, 2014
    Some of the worst acting i have ever seen. the movie is just pointless, stupid, and corny. if i didnt pay i wouldve left halfway through. very tough to watch
  10. Mar 8, 2014
    Other than the special effects, which are actually distancing us from the whole message of the film, it's a cluttered mess of a tedious plot, unlikable protagonist, and uninteresting villains. Frankly, the 'Wizard of Oz' was good enough. A prequel to a children's fantasy film from the 30's seems dated and utterly pointless. My brother, who's actually older than me, dragged me into this.
  11. Feb 28, 2014
    This movie is basically about Oz who ends up in an enchanted world and has to face 3 witches. Its not like The Wizard of Oz in case you have not seen it. This movie may make some people angry as I am one of the viewers who was Oz (James Franco) is a selfish and greedy fraud. His acting is very good and he fits in well with his role. He meets Theodora (Mila Kunis) eventually throughout his journey pretending to be the powerful Oz because he knows that he will get money. He is very lucky and manages to trick pretty much everyone there that he is Oz even though he is not. She then takes him to meet her sister one of the witches who he then also tricks into thinking he loves but she doesn't take it to heart as much. He is basically a player. He then leads Theodora on to thinking he loves her but he does not he doesnt know that she is one of the witches and he breaks her heart when she finds out he was a fraud. Her sister Evanora (Racheal Weisz) is also one of the witches they all posses a different power. is the one who he has also lead on. Theodora comes to Evanora crying telling her about "Oz" she then cries in a scene and her tears burn her flesh she does very good acting throughout this whole time. She becomes furious when her face burns and her sister Evanora convinces her to take a potion of some sort to get rid of the pain in her heart. This makes her an evil green which who seeks revenge on Oz. Mila Kunis does not fit in well at all with this role she plays her "evil laugh" is very weak and she just cant pull it off its ridiculous. Eventually Oz meets many more people till he meets the nice witch Glinda who he also then starts make to fall for him he is very good at playing a player in the movie. She also does a very good job playin her role. The evil witch then plans to destroy the land and Oz witch is why she told Theodora to take that potion to turn into an evil witch. The movie seems like it could have been good but these people are dumb..... they just get tricked and think that Oz is the powerful wizard and he is not. Mila Kunis should not have played the evil witch seems like she just got the role because she is a big actress. This guy basically a player, a fraud, a lair, and yet at the end he ends up with falling for the nice princess its just not a good message to kids if that's why its a Disney movie I regret even witching this movie there's much more to the movie but bare with me people. Expand
  12. Dec 23, 2013
    This movie was garbage. The black-and-white portion is the best part, and the green screening was horrendous, the visuals were terrible, the supporting cast was little help to Oz, many parts that came were predictable, and was a waste of 215 million dollars, if they even used that much.
  13. Dec 18, 2013
    When I first heard that Disney was doing a prequel to the Wizard of Oz, I was kind of annoyed. Then I remembered that they did a pretty decent job making a sequel to it, 25 years earlier. My hopes got even higher when I heard that James Franco would star in it. To me, he was such an interesting choice to play the wizard. Franco is a very versatile actor, but he's known more for action and comedy, not family films, but he brings a very interesting dynamic to the movie. Much like the Wizard of Oz and Return To Oz, this film is taken directly from the original Oz stories of L. Frank Baum. Once again, instead of just adapting a book, the screen writers picked and chose from several stories to create this one, and if I may say so, they did a very good job. Of course there is a bunch of Disneyizing to it, as seen with the spunky china girl and the talking monkey, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Franco is terrific and really carries the story. He combines his charms and looks with goofiness and ingenuity to make his character come alive in a way that L. Frank Baum would have loved. He's paired with Mila Kunis who is also really good and used to playing unlikable characters...Shut up Meg! What I especially liked about this film is how they played off the original. Starting in black & white, in an old box format, before opening up to the tradition high def. widescreen view was ingenious. I also loved how people from the black & white story had roles in Oz, just like the original. What was strange though is that they made Oz out to be a real place and discounted the whole dream aspect of the stories. In all of Baum's writings it was never known for a certainty weather or not Oz was a real place. The fact of the matter is that nothing in this genre will ever be as good as the original Wizard of Oz, but The Great & Powerful answers a lot of questions, is taken directly from the writings of the original author, has a great cast, and really does an impressive job of connecting to a film that was made 75 years earlier. Expand
  14. Dec 16, 2013
    While this film has a cliché story and meh characters it does have some charm. Some of the characters are likeable and the story decent. Additionally, this is the Wizard of Oz the film stays true to the spirit of the classic film, which helps it feel acceptable as a prequel. I’d recommend this film to anyone who didn’t like Return to Oz as this film is more colorful and light-hearted. This film is also good for kids as the film seems to be their target audience so they’ll probably enjoy themselves. For me this is a rental. Not entirely bad but nothing spectacular. If you are looking for a decent film to kill some time this is the movie to check out. It’s not as good as Return to Oz but it is definitely better than the last big budget live action film from Disney Alice in Wonderland (2010). Expand
  15. Dec 16, 2013
    At the beginning normal, then slow and boring and at the end poisonous, there's nothing good to say about this movie besides its good for kids to watch, but as a movie, it is just a film that takes away time of your life. I thought it would be a better representation of the meaning of "Oz, the great and powerful", as its title says. Hopefully, there are other millions of films in the world.
  16. Dec 3, 2013
    Falar que falta criatividade em Hollywood e que a onde de continuações, prequels e refilmagens confirma isso chover no molhado, mas, não deixa de ser verdade, e isso pode ser constatado na existência de Oz: mágico e poderoso, um desnecessário capítulo de acontecimentos anteriores ao clássico filme de 1939, que resolvia-se de maneira excelente por si só. Por outro lado, por mais desnecessário que o filme possa ser, interessante (e surpreendente) constatar como ele funciona muito bem tanto como um “anteriormente no mundo de Oz”, não negando os fatos vistos no filme original, como também como uma aventura independente, não dependendo da experiência prévia do espectador com Dorothy e companhia para funcionar. E, ao se estabelecer como um bom filme, Oz: mágico e poderoso passa então, a justificar sua “desnecessária existência”.

Iniciando em uma inspirada intertextualidade que homenageia o longa de 1939, Oz: mágico e poderoso nos apresenta Oscar Diggs (ou Oz, seu apelido), um mágico de circo que além da clara falta de talento, exibe também uma falta de ética assustadora, estabelecendo-se como uma figura resmungona, mentirosa, gananciosa e, por tudo isso, sem amigos. Rodado em preto-e-branco e com razão de aspecto de 1.33 1 (similar ao longa da década de 30 que, rodado 1.37: 1, exibia uma tela muito menor e próxima um quadrado), essa introdução eficiente ao estabelecer a existência do protagonista como uma vida pequena e sem cores (sentimentos), tornando sua chegada na terra de Oz levado por um tornado enquanto fugia de uma birga um sinal de que sua vida está para mudar, evidenciado no aumento de sua presença (a razão de aspecto cresce para 2.35 1) e pelo surgimento de cores expressivas na tela.

Claro que, em impacto, essa cena não supera o momento em que Dorothy abre a porta de casa e, através de seu olhar subjetivo, somos espantados com as cores de Oz, mas, uma homenagem bonita, elegante e que, encontra na narrativa uma razão de ser.

Ao chegar terra de Oz, o protagonista tomado como o mágico de uma profecia deixada pelo antigo rei do lugar, e que, viria para libertar todos das mãos da bruxa-má Theodora, que governa a cidade das esmeraldas. Para ajudá-lo em sua jornada, Oz conta com um simpático e divertido macaco voador, uma boneca de porcelana e a bruxa-boa, Glinda. Porém, tudo se complica quando, Evanora, a terceira bruxa (irmã de Glinda e Theodora) tem seu coração partido pelo mágico e se torna a terrível bruxa-má do leste enfrentada por Dorothy.

Contando com um roteiro irregular (de autoria de Mitchell Kapner e David Lindsay), Oz: mágico e poderoso alterna escolhas inspiradas com outras claramente equivocadas. Na primeira definição podemos encaixar a maneira como o filme nos faz “entrar” em sua história e nos importar com o final de seus personagens que, apesar de conhecido ora, já vimos os acontecimentos posteriores em outro filme, não mesmo? em momento algum torna o que vemos na tela menos satisfatório, conseguindo por vezes, despertar o suspense no espectador. Da mesma forma, a maneira como diversas situações posteriores são explicadas de maneira interessantíssima (a ideia do mágico de projetar-se em um rosto gigante) e rimas temáticas são criadas (os presentes entregues ao fim do filme), contribui para angariar pontos positivos para a projeção. Por outro lado, os roteiristas parecem não confiar na capacidade dos espectadores de se entreter com um filme sem um clímax recheado de ação e lutas, já que todo o confronto final entre Glinda e Theodora parece ter sido inserido na trama apenas para dizer “olha, prometemos um grande combate e aqui está ele”.

Irregular também em sua técnica, Oz: mágico e poderoso apresenta um excelente design de produção, amparado em cenários grandiosos e belos em sua explosão de cores e, claro, em figurinos precisos que, por si só, já evidenciam importantes traços da personalidade de seus personagens repare como Glinda usa roupas sóbrias e claras, enquanto Theodora usa um vestido escuro e mais ostensivo e, como a mudança de personalidade de Evanora retratada apenas através de uma inversão no chapéu, revelando por si só como a maldade já era algo inerente bruxa. A fotografia e os efeitos visuais, por outro, surgem irregulares, indo do orgânico (os planos aéreos que passeiam pelos cenários e as expressões realistas do macaco e da boneca de porcelana) ao completo desperdício das técnicas (planos claramente criados em função do 3D, com coisas arremessadas na tela e, claro, a falta de cuidado em certas cenas recheadas de efeitos, onde percebemos nitidamente a “falsidade” do que visto em tela).

O elenco, por outro lado, se sai muito bem. James Franco no papel-título exibe carisma e presença de tela que o garantem como escolha acertada para protagonizar o longa. Rachel Weisz se diverte com suas caras e bocas de má, convencendo como a traiçoeira Theodora. Michelle Willians retrata a bondade de Glinda de maneira eficiente, com expressões e fala t
  17. Nov 29, 2013
  18. Oct 23, 2013
    If anyone was going to tackle the works of the L. Frank Baum and catch the imagery Sami Rami was the perfect choice. The idea was intriguing and not only did Disney pull it off, they also gave us another reason to love the world of Oz.

Oscar(James Franco) is a magician, or more of a con artist and when he ends up in Oz after being pulled into a tornado everyone in Oz thinks he has come
    to fulfill a prophecy to defeat the evil witch.

The world of Oz is stunning. The visuals for the most part are incredible.It was a pleasant surprice that they did not go too close to the original so viewers would not be making comparisons scene by scene.

The first half hour did feel very rushed and they could of benefited with developing the character of Theodora (Mila Kunis)

A couple of the casting choices seemed miscast like Racheal Weisz who didn't seem to fit the role of Evanora. Mila Kunis defiantly steals the show with a fascinating personality who you seemed to really care about.

James Franco played his character fine and it was a brave choice to cast someone so young.

Overall Oz is a must see for anyone who enjoyed either 1939 Wizard of Oz or the novels. It most certainly has the potential to become a successful franchise.
  19. Oct 1, 2013
    Oz the Great and Powerful was actually better than I thought it would be.My favorite characters in the movie was the China girl, and Witch of the west.Allot of people seem to think this is a remake but it`s a separate story.
  20. Sep 21, 2013
    The magic and eye candy will keep you and the kids interested for a while, but where does it all go after that? So, Franco learns his lesson, plays a trick on Weisz, then rewards everyone who helped him along the way. "The best gift I can give to you is the gift of my friendship." says Franco. I bet he got a lot of s**t for that at the roast.
  21. Sep 11, 2013
    A decent enough movie that has some rather pretty visuals. Some interesting characters and it is fun to see how the land of Oz came to be what it was in the classic movie.

Some OK performances, but nothing memorable. Milla Kunis, while unbelievably hot as usual, perhaps seems to be having too much fun with her role, if ever there was a modern example of over acting, she is it. Franco
    is,? Well? Franco is Franco. A bit hard to see him as anything else as his range isn't that far. China Girl (Joey King) was just so adorable and my favorite character of the movie. A really heartwarming performance. The rest of the cast are just forgettable.

Overall:
    An OK movie that was better than I expected, but not by much.
  22. Sep 7, 2013
    A triumphant prologue opens up a film that tosses and turns in its confidence and ambition, ultimately falling short of the magical and memorable moments that made the original Oz film such a classic. What the film is missing is the definition of fantasy and reality, the original often toyed with the audience about whether Dorothy ever went to the Emerald City, but this film sets out with many callbacks and mentions to the original, but doesn't add up to a significant or plausible adventure. This is a prequel, a "how it all began" approach, but James Franco shows a different side to the man we may remember, he womanises, frauds and cheats anyone he meets, until he here whisked away in a hurricane (sound familiar?) and ends up in the mystical land that shares his magician name, Oz. While stunning and epic on beauty, it feels empty and a chance to show how far special effects can push the spectrum, the familiar yellow brick road is there, but it was much more fulfilling seeing Dorothy, Scarecrow and friends bouncing along and singing their way to the great city, but in this, Oz arrive in moments after meeting a beautiful witch Theodora (Mila Kunis), who sees no wrong in her new companion, and then he is gone again, off to defeat the wicked witch.
    The film takes an interesting but under-explained twist, one which has very little build-up in terms of deep character development, it all happens very fast, leaving little time to revel in some of the finer moments of the film, the set pieces are big, but the plot inconsistencies put a darker light on moments that could have been appreciated more. These scenes pick up well after a slow start in the land of Oz, but tonal shifts and confusing assumptions still cloud the goal that was trying to be reached by the ambitious director Sam Raimi. I'm still on the fence about the casting of James Franco as the "great and powerful" Oz, he brings an interesting charm to the role, but seems to miss the opportunity at a charismatic and controlling individual, something the heavily rumoured Robert Downey Jr. would undeniably have brought. Mila Kunis is certainly the standout of the film, she plays a conflicted and passionate character in Theodora, proving her worth when it matters most. Her sister in the film is played by the talented Rachel Weiz, who is a charming yet equally cunning witch who never sits easy as the film unfolds.
    This isn't the return to Oz that I'm sure we all hoped for, while there are very impressive visuals and some sturdy performances, one can't help but revisit the old ways to sing a long with Dorothy and her pals, rather than a heavy CGI flick with only passing moments of marvel.
  23. Sep 5, 2013
    I have always loved Disney. This is a movie I wouldn't expect from them, because their movies are normally kid movies. This was amazing, and it is my favorite movie. It is hilarious, well-written, interesting, and you are always on the edge of your seat.
  24. Aug 28, 2013
    The story is bad from the beginning to the end. The visuals are not the astonishing art that a usual blockbuster should deliver. James Franco and his wonderful moment is the only nice thing I can save from this one.
  25. Aug 28, 2013
    One point for Michelle Williams's performance which was fantastic. Everything else in this film was poorly crafted, poorly performed, and generally uninteresting. I suppose if you thinking yelling is acting, really like James Franco for whatever reason, or have no concept of what tension is this film would be worth watching.
  26. Aug 26, 2013
    Horrible it's not just horrible, this cost 215 million to make. Same as Jack the Giant Slayer ,The Lone Ranger, Man of Steel, Battleship, World War Z, Pacific Rim, Snow White & the Huntsman, Wreck-It Ralph, Furious 6. Movies that are great, impress me are great movies with very little budget, not only that movie that made huge profit. Movies like Jurassic Park, The Lion King, Ice Age,Independence Day, Star Wars. I don't understand why would a company let directer to spend that enormous money. Most high budget films are bad, some are good, but not worth a money. Expand
  27. Aug 24, 2013
    Being a prequel to "The Wizard of Oz" (Which, by the way, is the most critically acclaimed movie on all of Metacritic), people probably had high expectations for this movie. Because it wasn't amazing, I think that many people are under-rating it. It's still good and as far as a prequel goes, I thought they did a good job. While at times they add that "Disney Magic" which as much of an inner child I am does slightly annoy me, the story line works well. The visual effects aren't exactly Avatar standard, but they don't stoop as low as "Spy Kids: Game Over" either. For the movie that it was, I thought the visual effects were reasonable. Overall, it's not the most amazing movie you'll ever see, but it's still enjoyable. Expand
  28. Aug 18, 2013
    Not the Oz remake I was hoping for. Franco did not carry Oz the way he should have. Even with my love for Kunis, I have to say that her acting in Oz was forced and unnatural. Williams felt out of place, albeit delivering a good performance as the good witch. Weisz proved to be the only shining character in this whole film.
  29. Aug 18, 2013
    Surprisingly dazzling with great special effect and some charming characters. As someone who didn't expect much going into this, and as someone who thought a prequel to the legendary "The Wizard of Oz" was pointless, I must say I was impressed with how much I enjoyed the movie. It in no way lives up to the original movie, but on its own it's still an enjoyable film. It packs humor, excitement, and some surprising emotion. The cast is fantastic, particularly the memorable supporting cast. There are some inaccuracies here and there but overall it ties in nicely with the original movie, and has a slight mature story that tells you not to play with peoples emotions. Overall it's a great film, and while it ay not live up to its predecessor, it's still worth a watch. Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Great And Powerful Oz deserves a mixed review I think. It's greatest accomplishment is the visual wonders it achieves. It's worst feature is that it stretches the boundary of incredulity between how a movie can be so superbly visually portrayed with such masterworks of imagination as to continually stun even a jaded creativity, and yet at the same time allow itself to be so damaged by insipid dialogue in its first hour as to actually create the possibility of walking out. It is all the more paradoxical because of the quality of the imagery is so awe inspiring, and by that same measure all the more unforgiveable in that the discrepency is so great, as though two universes of quality existed in the same production effort and na'er the two were allowed to meet. If this disparity can be thought of as a dis-ease, then it is a disease I would instantly to blame on Disney, as the brand may never shake it’s association with dissolution of the soul of it’s stories by drowning them in artificial sweetener. The soul message of it’s story does finally find some ground to stand on, but only after an hour or so of threatening to not have any ground at all, another horror of the beginning.

A movie has two things, the soul of it’s master message and the artfulness with which that message is rendered. If only the visual world created here could have played more of a role than a mere backdrop. But that is usually the way of it. It is the emotional relationship between characters and the quality of dialogue which play the most important role in establishing how artfully the message is being delivered. No matter how great the visuals or how clever the little side stories or how good the acting or even how good the message, nothing can save a movie from bad dialogue, and my goodness how this movie suffers. It is that syndrome I suppose of being trapped in the notion that your main audience will be children, and in not really understanding children well, winding up with something that is dumbed down, hamhanded, cliche, trying to be funny and failing, and just plain insipid. This ends up failing to entertain anyone, children included, and that is not a worthy legacy to the great Frank Baum. The dialogue and humor is not all bad and generally improves in the second half of the movie, but even then it still suffers from mediocrity about half of the time.

The messaging begins to gain it’s very first traction when the good witch Glenda reveals that she knows our protagonist is not really a wizard but a con man, a trickster and yet this is partly because this is how he defines himself within his own mind. If you have stayed to that moment, you will stay to the end. Part of the problem is that there has been no tension established in our wizard character’s personality up to this point. Until this point he is one dimensionally and utterly a boor and a twit with no personal appeal whatsoever. Suddenly however, he becomes interesting, and the movie beings to save itself from ruin. Finally he discovers that he can use his trickstery skills to do good and save Oz from evil. It is an idea which is simplemindedly executed, but ultimately an empowering message and that is probably the best thing about this movie. Until the last scene however, the movie continues to suffer from details which are formulaic cliches before plopping to an end with a standard sentimental happy ending. One such cliche I find hilarious when comparing to the gentle spirituality of Frank Baum is the final superhero battle between the good and bad witch wherein the contest appears to be mostly based on which player has the greatest amount of pure voltage at her disposal an unfortuate nod to the power of technology over spirituality, and a treatment which is unfortunately repeated again and again in modern movie remakes of all the great myths and stories from the past, hence degrading them.
  31. Jul 30, 2013
    A good film to see if you love the world of Oz, but otherwise, not too great of a film, from its basic, cliché (and quite frankly, pointless) story, to its poor overuse of CGI throughout the film.
    Don't get high expectations.
  32. Jul 30, 2013
    First off, It looks beautiful. Sam Rami did a great job at creating the world of Oz and I am sure that it would have been awesome to see it in 3-D (considering Rami actually made use of it in this film). The acting is ok, James Franco sort of fades in and out for me through out the film. Williams, Kunis, and Weisz do a great job as the witches as well, They really help carry the film. Zach Braff is easily the star as the love-able monkey assistant, He was great.

The plot is fine as well but the dialogue just doesn't really cut it. There are parts that are fantastic and others there are really lack-luster. I'd have like to see a script with more solid dialogue through out the film instead of short bursts. The run time was a bit of a killer for me as well. I think it would have been better if it had been a little shorter.

Overall, It wasn't that bad of a movie. I enjoyed watching it and I'd recommend giving it a shot but it wasn't as good as it could have been.
  33. Jul 29, 2013
    No matter what age bracket you are in, you'll enjoy it. It doesn't have the best action or storyline but the casting and character performances was spot on.
  34. Jul 24, 2013
    "Oz: The Great and Powerful" falls to the middle 'cause it's little bit too frightening for kids and too childish for adults, but is saved by great acting, especially Franco with his not-too-serious performance and excellent visual effects
  35. Jul 23, 2013
    I am going to start out right away and say this movie was terrible. Just terrible. I had hopes for this movie but they were shattered within the first twenty minutes of the movie.

There was probably only one likable character in the entire movie and it wasn't Oz. In fact, he was probably the least likable character. I thought choosing Jame Francco to play Oz was a bad move. Most of the
    casting for the movie was bad.

The special effects were terrible. It reminded me of Revenge of the Sith were everything was green screened. I am serious, EVERYTHING WAS IN GREEN SCREEN. I even notice background cows that literally look like something from a 1990s PC game. Also the 'lovable' monkey awkward and obviously fake. I am unsure if they even tried to make the CG portions of the film fit with the two real things on screen.

The overall story was pointless too. I mean was there really a need to go back and tell the story of Oz other than money? NO. I was uninterested throughout 98% of the movie. That 2% is when the china girl doll thing was on the screen, she was the one interesting character in the whole movie. They tried to portray Oz and a con man was silly and how he just suddenly changed his ways was absurd because there was no build up, all of a sudden, boom, he was good.

I need to stop before i saw something insulting. This i a terrible movie. Don't see it, Don't buy it, Don't rent it. It ranks and one of the worst movies I have seen.
  36. Jul 20, 2013
    I made plans to see this movie, then I saw it was rated 64% and I was like "oh crap...". Then I saw it anyways and thought it was great. I really like movies that take you to a new world and this did just that. The movie was somewhat unpredicatable which I liked. Anyway, i'd recommend it. I came out of the movie feeling like I just saw something great.
  37. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be in the shadow of the original, it certainly didn't suck. The dialogue is witty, and the references weren't forced. The casting was stupid though, (I mean Mila Kunis as the wicked witch of the west, really?). But with that said, it is still enjoyable despite being in the shadow of a masterpiece. Expand
  38. Jun 29, 2013
    Had our family smiling and managed to keeps us engaged. The darkness may be to strong for those that are younger than 8-9 or so... Exceeded my low expectations.
  39. Jun 28, 2013
    Gwaaaah, what a terrible movie. James Franco should NOT be a leading actor and Mila Kunis should NOT be a leading actress. It had a good set of ideas and what could have been a really touching story that was just trampled on my ham-fisted acting. Gwah.
  40. Jun 28, 2013
    Well, it did deserve a point just to see Mila Kunis in tight leather pants. Thank you, Di$ney. Oh, and another point to the actors for sticking it out through this turd. Otherwise, I'd recommend watching something with a little more substance--like Spongebob.
  41. Jun 27, 2013
    The movie exceeded my expectations. Unlike other fairy tale adaptations, such as Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland, the movie uses it's visual effects and use of 3D as a way of throwing some relevance towards the world revolved around the characters. Although it's story heavily borrows some elements from several Disney pictures, it worked for the story line and functions as clever tributes. Oscar Diggs (James Franco) has to grow as a person and it's actions are what made him learn from his mistakes and to eventually transform himself into a better man and The Wizard Of Oz. The movie is groundbreaking in certain aspects and is able to entertain the audience with it's own witty tricks and surprisingly spends more time developing it's characters. James Franco clearly wasn't the first choice to portray the Wizard, but eventually he suited the part and offers us a grounded performance. Michelle Williams also offers an immensely likable and charming performance as the bubbly Glinda and often resembles the classical image of Disney Princesses. Rachel Weisz is the typical Disney villain, a woman who possesses a great amount of wealthiness as well as wickedness. Though other actresses could have made the character extremely evil, it's ultimately nice watching Weisz enjoying herself and delivering a cunning and suitably envious image towards her role. Mila Kunis is the one who brings the cleverest and easily distinguishable performance in this adventure. In between both sides, Kunis manages to pull off with an ease a naive young woman and manages to convince us with a simple look that literally pays homage to the golden age of Hollywood. Kunis walks away with the honors for bring such depth and relevance to a character who ends up becoming so iconic and quite frankly tragic after her magnetic performance.
    I had a blast travelling to the magical land of Oz and it's a ride I would surely repeat.
  42. Jun 26, 2013
    Don't listen to the critics and haters, the movie will not do you wrong. It has warm moments and great original characters such as the china girl. It also does the classic justice and ties in great with it. Props to James Franco for doing one of his best rolls yet.
  43. Jun 24, 2013
    You can dissect this movie in every way and find a way to degrade it to the original, or you can take it for what it is. It is a delightful treat to see great visuals with wonderful characters.
  44. Jun 23, 2013
    There are certain films for which can never be produced a fully palatable sequel (or prequel). I think those who made Oz the Great and Powerful knew this and didn't try to make a seamless transition; that was the right choice. I was hesitant going into this film, thinking it would be a disappointment, but I found myself smiling knowingly, laughing many times and in awe of the new places to be found in the world over the rainbow. Could I ever say that any movie made today can stand alongside the original classic, The Wizard of Oz as an equal? Of course not. But this is the best attempt that I think anyone could hope for and if you judge it on its own and for the tie in's made, I think it's great...and powerful. Expand
  45. Jun 23, 2013
    The film starts off unimpressively in B&W and old-timey but if you can endure past Oscar's trip to Oz then you're in for a visual feast. You really need a 55-in or larger 3D HDTV to really benefit from this offering, I have one from LG, and the cinematography stands out as its own feature. We come into Oz in full saturated color at full 1080p, quite a treat. And there are several jump-from-your-seat moments that are best experienced in 3D. The plot and characters are aimed more at tween girls but it's tolerable for the rest of us, especially towards the climactic end for which you should have tissues on hand. Overall, it's a great prequel for one of America's enduring family classics. Expand
  46. Jun 19, 2013
    A little less CGI and a maybe someone else besides James Franco in the title role would have made this movie worth watching. I enjoyed the black and white element in the beggining but a bad script is a bad script. Also for those scratching there heads to a number of scenes this is a prequal to the book Not the movie. Overall it was interesting at times but dull and lifeless overall.
  47. Jun 18, 2013
    La pelicula es muy mala, es mas me arrepiento un poco de esta nota tan alta comparada a lo aburrido que la pase viendo, la pelicula...................
  48. Jun 17, 2013
    I was so disappointed, it is a nothing movie, charmless and colorless misadventure and misunderstanding for the world magical movies for ex. Alice in Wonderland wasn't perfect but at least it delivered a good time, unlike this powerless, unfunny movie, don't let any of the visuals trick you or catch your eyes. Here is nothing.
  49. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is about how Oz got his job. I find this interesting because, I bet some people like me wanted to know how Oz got his job. This film is okay, but I didn't get most of the jokes they made through out the film. The last time I've seen James Franco was in the Spider Man movies. It had a good ending. Expand
  50. Jun 9, 2013
    Oz the Great and Powerful? More like Oz the Lame and Terrible. I can't believe I wanted to see this movie in the first place. My least favorite person in this movie was Mila Kunis, mostly because of her performance in the second half of the movie.
  51. Jun 9, 2013
    I felt this was a pretty good movie actually. At times, it was like watching Alice in wonderland more than anything. Maybe because of all the twisted environment with colors. But it had some nice characters in the movie, but it all came together I think a bit too fast. I wanted to see more of the background stories of each character. The main character was solid but I think just didn't make me feel that much into the movie as if i was watching it with maybe Johnny Depp? It's just the dialogue sometimes either felt awkward or no point. It was just very PGish. i know it's a Disney movie, so expect that. But It was just too 'happy feel good' for me. There were no real threat or turmoil and urgency to save the world of Oz. Overall, a solid good movie but i thought it would have been much better than it turned out. The movie title doesn't exactly show it. Maybe Oz got too consumed with power or something. It would have been a much better side plot than a love story with the witch sisters. Expand
  52. Jun 7, 2013
    "Oz the Great and Powerful" manages to continue the spirit of its legendary predecessor, marked with darkness and tension—and it's an enjoyable to watch for the visual effects alone. The film contains many nods to the original "The Wizard of Oz" (1939), without it feeling forced or taking away from the story at hand. The film acknowledges the moments for those with a fondness for the childhood classic. It is a relatively faithful remake, but comes up short on surprises for a truly, memorable adventure.

The film starts off in black & white as we are introduced to Oz (James Franco), ho-hum life as a magician traveling with the “Baum Brothers” circus. One day, while escaping in a hot air balloon from an enraged strongman, Oz is caught in a tornado and deposited in Oz. Color now enters the world after landing into this new magical land; and when he gets there, it certainly does come to life. Oscar's arrival is afforded with full color, widescreen treatment by Raimi and his band of CGI landscapers. Though garishly convincing, the world of Oz lacks the 'wow' factor of James Cameron's "Avatar" (2009). Once there, meets the witch Theodora (Mila Kunis), who believes he represents the fulfillment of a prophecy made by the late king. She escorts Oz to Emerald City, where he meets Theodora's sister, Evanora (Rachel Weisz). In order to claim the throne, however, he must travel into the Dark Forest and kill the Wicked Witch.

James Franco is fine as our protagonist this film, for the most part. Oscar comes across more as a sleazy opportunist--a man conflicted with his inner-demons. His charm and attitude-works well in this film-as he is forced to politely lie and muddle his way through the adventure. Fortunately, the performances by the witches are more entertaining, but to discuss any of the three characters in any detail might spoil what few surprises are to be had. The latter half of the film in particular is dominated by the trio, and thankfully so. Weisz and Williams are fitting as Evanora and Glinda--but it is Mila Kunis, who truly comes to dominate the film with her commanding performance as Theodora.

It is largely an entertaining piece of eye candy that goes on longer than it should. It benefits from having a director who brings energy, humor, and emotion to what could have been a soulless exercise, much like "Alice in Wonderland" (2010). "Oz the Great and Powerful" was never going to hit the same heights as the 1939 classic, nor was it ever fair to expect or presume it to do so. It is a film decidedly of its era, and while it is quite the spectacle, the present-day nature of the CGI effects means it will likely become dated and overlooked relatively quickly.
  53. Jun 5, 2013
    Moderately enjoyable experience. I found the first 20 minutes in black and white dragged on and there was not much explanation of what the Land of Oz is once we got there. I enjoyed all the indirect references to the original without having the original characters redone. Mila Kunis’s witch makeup is terrible. Laugh out loud funny at the reveal. The Flying Baboons and the Witches were scarier before you could see them. The good witch and the China doll were awesome characters. Shame that Franco didn’t really find his groove until the last 10 minutes. Too often I could spot that they were on a sound stage. Which they had done that a bit better. Overall the movie wraps things up nicely and makes up for the first half of the film. Expand
  54. Jun 4, 2013
    "To say "OZ" is powerful is pushing its boundaries a little bit, but great is a fair assessment. Oz is a visually stunning spectacle with enough dazzle and humor to make up for its overbearing run-time, middling performances and modest conclusion." B
  55. May 31, 2013
    Underwhelming. Amounts to a series of colour palette choices and some adequate CGi. This abomination should be avoided at all costs. If fast forward had been available at the screener, I would have been home in time for YouTube. Grow up!
  56. May 29, 2013
    It was alright. Nothing really special about it The visual effects where nice though. It was an alright prequel. Hopefully next one will be better but i doubt it. You know how sequels go.
  57. May 27, 2013
    Just terrible. This movie was definitely done 100% in front of a green screen and for 3D and it clearly shows. The animations are sloppy, the 3D "gotchas" are cringe worthy, the story is terrible and the acting is just laughable. How does James Franco get acting jobs?
  58. May 8, 2013
    Honestly just wanted to see this film by Michelle Williams; and the truth not me surprised, was what I expected: a bad film. Good Special effects but its only this, no more.
  59. GFC
    Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I came here and I was shocked on how low the ratings were. When I watched the movie I enjoyed it alot! The movie surprised me with its great visuals and great ideas. The only time when I thought the visuals were bad was from the cartoony green witch. Trying to make an ugly witch out of a normal woman just does not work for me. Expand
  60. Apr 29, 2013
    The thing that lets this film down the most is the terrible terrible dialogue. If you're drowning in water and there's nobody around, do you start yelling "I can't swim!" No you don't. It's as if the director thinks we're so moronic that we need everything spelled out for us. James Franco is incredibly annoying to the point where you want to just slap that inane smile from his face. His acting is ATROCIOUS, but with a script like that it's hardly surprising. Loaded with cliches (cackling witches anyone?) this film is a soulless, special effects driven mess that will be forever known by people with taste as a thorn in the side and embarrassment to the original. Avoid like the zombie plague Expand
  61. Apr 28, 2013
    It is boring and less magical than recent movies with almost the same plot such as Alice in Wonderland which is amazing, but this it is not entertaining not good but the thing is that it is visually stunning, it is like lyrics without music, it is not good, it is not entertaining, it is boring and
  62. Apr 27, 2013
    Oz is in my opinion, a masterpiece. This movie is a prequel to the original book and brings with it all the wonder and whimsy of the Land of Oz. The CGi isn't photorealistic, but this lends to that whimsy. It indicates that this world is something different and fantastical. The "shallow" story is the result of this being a world for children. It isn't supposed to be dark or gritty, it is supposed to be clean and innocent.

All I can say is watch this movie while keeping in mind the source material.
  63. Apr 25, 2013
    This movie is not half bad. James Franco was a good pick for the role. If they had gone with Robert Downey, his persona would have made all the interactions seem too dirty while Franco's silly innocence keeps it light. Great effects and some good humor are also what make it worth the watch.
  64. Apr 25, 2013
    Fantastic, a very enjoyable movie. The movie graphics are amazing, the colours are great and the characters are brilliant. A very good plot and good story line, very exciting and dazzling, a must see!
  65. Apr 23, 2013
    Mention the Wizard of Oz in America and everyone has an opinion, it's an institution. In Britain it doesn't have the same effect which may make most people over here quite cynical when it comes to this prequel or maybe it means they will see it impartially. However this didn't happen for me because ultimately it just felt like any other fantasy film, a pretty one for sure but nothing in it ever distinguished it as the prequel to a classic. In fact it turned me off the original slightly. The film follows Oz an arrogant, slimy Kansas magician who is swept up in a hurricane and transported to Oz. He must travel the land that sees him as its savior despite his inherent nature. However he must contend with an evil witch (or two) along the way as well. It's a shame that a director known for being adventurous and ambitious plays Oz so incredibly safe in not only casting but story. There are certain qualities to be found in Oz that are hidden away beneath a wealth of mediocrity and problems, most of which reduce the film to an average family picture that will leave you empty on your exit. James Franco makes a good Oz but there is nothing surprising about his performance, it just feels as though he was a good choice, but not the right one. Michelle Williams however continues to impress with her turn as Glinda the good witch as she is knowledgeable, whimsical and a realist, something Williams shows almost effortlessly. Rachel Weisz entertains too but she is let down by Mila Kunis who is terribly miscast. Her naive witch comes across as irritating and when her character changes, you can guess how, she just becomes loud and even more irritating. An attempt to call back to the camp of the original just turns into poor emulation, especially in regards to the witches. The story itself is basic, bordering on formulaic forcing the film to impress with its visuals which like i said it does but it just isn't enough. The addition of sidekicks for Oz makes him a different kind of Dorothy with Zach Braff and Joey King playing a flying monkey and a china doll who can see the best and the worst in him. In fact the two of them are the most memorable parts of this film adding some great comic relief as well as most of the film's heart. The film has heart but it doesn't have enough to mask the problems and all around average feeling the movie creates Expand
  66. Apr 21, 2013
    After going on a date and seeing this movie, I honestly was surprised. I have never scene the original and hadn't heard anything about this one. And I must say it was a true emotionally brilliant experience. The heart, the action and character development is just truly brilliant. It engages the audience right form the beginning and never lets go. As stated before I've yet to see the original but via parodies and pop culture references, I have the basic knowledge of the original. And I must say, as a prequel it is just brilliant how everything unfolds and explains itself. Truly brilliant film worth watching Expand
  67. Apr 20, 2013
    Not the best movie of year 2013,but fair enough humor and 3De ffects make movie is watchable.I felt movie is lacking a steady plot.Anyway this worth to watch if you in to simple pop corn movies.
  68. Apr 17, 2013
    I am not particularly fond of the original movie, which I consider to be overly saccharine and wildly overated, mostly by people who fantasise obsessively about "movie magic" and how great the movies of the thirties and forties were. I really wasn't expecting much. In fact I only went to this one because I made an error in booking. So I was pleasantly surprised at how witty, emotionally engaging and spectacular this film is. James Franco is not all that appealing, but the performances of the three witches are great especially Michelle Williams. The special effects are pretty good, the humour was fine, the romantic riffs were deftly handled. And the porcelain doll was particularly well done she has most of the best lines, for a start. The 3D was excellent as well. Congrats to Sam Raimi for pulling something so good out of pretty unpromising material. A real labour of love, with plenty of movie magic of its own. Expand
  69. Apr 10, 2013
    This film was very enjoyable with it's twists and wonderful effects, but Mila Kunis costed this film it's better rating. Her role could've been given to someone more fit for her character. Other than that, I still was very satisfied with the film. Especially in 3D.
  70. Apr 10, 2013
    A magical cheesy ride that passes the time with beautiful aesthetics. I would have liked to see more depth and personally a flurry of songs that does credit to the original. That said I enjoyed the film and performances for what it was. If you like children's films, magic, Oz and adventure then worth a watch.
  71. Apr 8, 2013
    While this film got great visuals, the attacking by James Franco and the three witches is less than except able and its shows that it is a Disney film. I have nothing against Disney. In fact I love Disney. However you can tell Disney and director Sam Raimi were trying to make the film kid friendly. The wicked witch of the west is not as scary as the original. There are no memorable quotes and the dialogue does not contain any complex words. All in all this is a good movie for kids but think about it before bringing older kids to it. Expand
  72. Apr 6, 2013
    Admittedly I am an Oz aficionado, a family movie fan, and a fan of 3D pseudo-psychedelia. That said, I found Oz in #D to be an interesting and humorous adventure. Raimey does telegraph many of the plot twists and subtlety is not one of the strong points, but as homage, as 21st century re-visioning of the OZ of 1900, as #D extravaganza, the movie was enchanting
  73. Apr 5, 2013
    This movie changed my life. I feel liberated, a new (wo)man, as if I can go out and literally carpe diem James Francos performance was nothing less than Oscar worthy, Golden Glove worthy, Grammy worthy, hell it should be made into a Broadway musical so that he can win a Tony for it as well! The acting in this movie was, as i previously stated, life changing. I repeated myself just to get my point across. Seriously, life changing. Life changing. Life changing. Life changing. So, metacrtic lurker, you may be asking why so life changing? Go see the film and you shall see the face of God, nay Oz.
    xoxo
    Gossip Girl
  74. Apr 1, 2013
    The movie was very good, I don't understand why it is so underrated. James Franco was amazing but not many people like him in general which makes their review biased. For some reason he's quite underrated. For me, Franco is one of the best actors of our generation.
    Anyway, the movie was very entertaining. It is a movie for all ages, so some parts of it might seem stupid to people over the
    age of 16. At times the script was bad, but overall the movie is great. It's a must see for people who like fairy tales or just want to see something refreshing that doesn't need to be taken seriously. Expand
  75. Apr 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oz the Great and the Powerful is an entertaining film, but one that has numerous drawbacks. The story arc of this film is good enough and flows into the original Wizard of Oz quite well. There seemed to be a good amount of respect for the original movie and I think that goes a long ways as to not offending fans of the classic. This is also a gorgeous film, with great CGI environments and CGI characters. I found the 3D effects to be quite immersive and beneficial. Sadly the acting just isn't up to par, with the two fully CGI supporting characters outshining the live actors in pretty much every way. I thought James Franco had progressed as an actor after seeing him in 127 hours and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, however he was overly cheesy, in a non-convincing way, in this one. I'll chalk it up to being miscast. Same goes to Mila Kunis, who was mind bogglingly miscast to be the Wicked Witch from the classic Oz. Not only was the transformation unremarkable, but they continued to use her likeness and voice after she became the witch. This was jarring and unconvincing. One second you're hearing Meg Griffin and the next you're hearing a wicked witch cackle that was voiced over by someone else. I think this was the biggest problem of the movie and one that could have easily been remedied by using a different actress as the wicked witch and having the transformation happen gradually throughout the movie instead of over the course of 5 minutes. Seeing the character breaking down over a longer period of time would have made the psychology behind the Wicked Witch much more interesting. Overall the movie is an entertaining one time watch, but could have easily been much more if the acting matched the aesthetics of the movie. 6/10 Expand
  76. Apr 1, 2013
    that was amazing. I loved the films like Alice in Wonderland and this movie was kind of like that, i thought the cast was good and the 3D fit in well and it was very entertainig. Overall 10/10 i would reccomend this to anyone who liked Alice in Wonderland
  77. Mar 30, 2013
    This movie wasn't the right one for me at all. There were some good twists and humor in it but nothing like the original wizard of oz. lets go dorthy.
  78. Mar 30, 2013
    "Oz the Great and Powerful" is a beautifully executed callback to the original 1939 film. The most important thing to remember is that this is a prequel to "The Wizard of Oz." There is just enough Oz and enough differences to make this a successful film. Fantastic visuals, clever sleight of hand, and a talented cast makes this a joyful experience for people of all ages.
  79. Mar 26, 2013
    Main thing is James Franco's miscasting,he was Raimi's choice, 'cause he had work him in SM trilogy.But it should have been Johnny Depp,he is kinda born to play such fantasy roles,so he is the most perfect for Oz.Weisz is quite good,as she is always,and Mila and Williams are nothing special.The story is soooo predictable at the end.A Movie to entertain the people who only care about CGI and nothing else.And Disney cant repeat Alice's success 'cause, 3D revolution is over and WHO CARES 3D now huh??!!. Expand
  80. Mar 26, 2013
    Going into this "Oz", I expected at least a moderately coherent plot, serviceable acting, and some decent special effects, but apparently even those expectations were too high. For the amount of money spent on this movie, and the amount of work put into it, the result is underwhelming to put it mildly. The overall quality of the film could be compared to a Disney Channel movie. James Franco's acting ranged from decent to bad, and Mila Kunis' performance ranged from sleepwalk-acting to soap opera-level awful (at some points she was unintentionally hilarious). I would recommend it for children 6 and under, but even then, there are scenes in "Oz" that would actually be terrifying for very young children. In the end, I will say to just avoid this movie if possible. Expand
  81. Mar 26, 2013
    That was one of the worst movies Disney has thrown together. Period. It was a simple call on Disney's part. Wicked has been doing an unbelievable job on Broadway for years. So how can they make some extra cash? Make a movie that will have lovers of the Broadway production, and the original Wizard of Oz, running to your door. I understand the concept of making it similar to the original Wizard of Oz how it takes forever to start the story. However, the Wizard of Oz was an original concept. Once the story picked up it continued full speed with a unique shocking concept, along with it's story, and beautiful scenery. The running force behind The Great and Powerful Oz was the 3D animation and computer generated world. I can't honestly tell you the last movie that used 3D in its original nostalgic sense things truly popping out at you. Those scenes only last a few minutes and leave much to be desired during the rest of the film. The story was dull and boring. Not to mention it brought in aspects of both book series, the musical, and the original film, which do not all mesh. The actors deserved a better story line. The customers deserved a better movie. Expand
  82. Mar 26, 2013
    Oz the Great and Powerful is very well done and for the most part well acted, but the story just wasn't there for me. It seemed too silly when it was supposed to be serious, and not that funny when they were trying to be funny. With that said, I'm sure kids everywhere will enjoy this movie, so this is a great family movie to watch.
  83. Mar 26, 2013
    The Wizard of Oz has been 1 of my favorite movies since I was a little girl. When I first saw the previews for Oz, The Great and Powerful, I instantly wanted to see it. So, on opening night, I took my 12 year old cousin who was also excited to see it. My expectations were set pretty high considering my love for The Wizard of Oz. This movie did not disappoint. I was truly amazed at how well this prequel was constructed, informing you about how things cam to be in Oz before Dorothy was there (how the great wizard had come from Kansas as he had told Dorothy, the reason "nobody have ever seen the great Oz" and the relationship between Oz and the witches. It was done in such a way to get the point across without forcing it into the story too much. There were plenty of humorous pieces fit in to relate to an all age audience, without being inappropriate. The one thing that was missing with the story behind the ruby slippers, but I found out later that MGM has the slippers under copyright as this was their addition to the movie, not what was in the book.

For those expecting a remake of the 1939 movie, forget it. This is more like a prequel without being called one. There is no scarecrow, tin man or cowardly lion. There are several other characters who are included as well as many new friends who will tug at your heartstrings. Some of the movie may be a little scary for young children, but otherwise it is something to be loves by audiences of all ages.
  84. Mar 25, 2013
    Enjoyable fantasy flick by Sam Raimi may have the same 'plot points' as Disney's own Alice in Wonderland, but done in such an enthusiastic fashion that you just can't help but smile. Raimi and the casts infuse so much energy into this production that it covers up some inconsistencies in the plot. Psychedelic production values and a lot of humor made this feel like an acid trip. While the CGI might feel a little too much, but when it works (i.e. in China doll's case), it really works. One thing I like is that Oz doesn't really gain any magic powers by the end of the film, and its conclusion is so consistent with his character and his abilities. Kudos for Franco for selling this character, in a role meant for Rob Downey Jr. of all people. Expand
  85. Mar 24, 2013
    The Good: Glenda was awesome. Michelle Williams did a great job in her performance. The final action scenes were great. Zach Braff was great in both roles. The China Doll was well acted and presented. The overall story was well devised.

The Bad: James Franco was atrocious. I loved him in other roles but this was terribly acted. Mila Kunis another favorite of mine received the
    same fate. Even her media circuit seemed unwanted. The CGI was sometimes good and sometimes bad. There were times when you could see the actors walking and it looked like they were in a homemade video like you might find in a mall or something. Sam Raimi let me down on this because I've seen all of these actors do better in other roles which leads me to believe that this film was under-directed. This is a big fall from the Spider Man films. Verdict: Rent It. Expand
  86. Mar 24, 2013
    Surprisingly, this was one spectacle. Even though it doesn't live up to the original "The Wizard of Oz" it's still one to behold. I was afraid that it would be like "Alice in Wonderland" a wonderluss boring tale with some bad acting. Thank God that wasn't the case. It does have cheesy moments, but overall it's a visual marvel.
  87. Mar 24, 2013
    Everything about the original has turned into a laughable embarrassment that is heartless and mindless. The Great and Powerful Oz is bland, uninteresting and carries no magic or wonder to it. As for James Franco, this should be a wake up call that his acting career needs to end.
  88. Mar 23, 2013
    Went in with extremely low expectations and came out feeling quite happy with the entire experience. Yes, there's lots of CGI but its great and doesn't need to be believable as we are in the fantastical world of OZ. Glad Disney stuck to the original story. The beginning and opening credits are worth every minute! Some cheesy moments but we are watching an OZ film!
  89. Mar 23, 2013
    This film had many things that could have gone wrong, but they really did a great job. It´s beautiful and colourful. The beginning in black and white is cool and when the wizard finally arrives in Oz... wow it´s so beautiful. Of course this is a film based on the visual effects and tries to pay homage to the original. But it´s not an empty film at all. It´s way better than Alice in Wonderland. The actors did a good job. The movie is constantly funny and people enjoy it from start to finish. There are a few moments that feel truly scary (totally unexpected for me) and the two best characters (the monkey and the little porcelain girl) are great. Incredible that they make you feel sad for a character like that little porcelain. Totally recommendable. Not a masterpiece but at least what all big blockbusters full of visual effects should be Expand
  90. Mar 21, 2013
    A disappointing return to Oz. Visually dazzling at times, but I literally felt like I was watching a cartoon at times. The tone switches awkwardly from sweet/humorous to dark/ominous; the combination doesn't work and makes the whole project feel messy. The performances were underwhelming. The main problem I had with the film is that, for the most part, I was completely bored. Add to that the tonal inconsistencies, cartoon visuals, and disappointing performances, you get a film that's hard to enjoy for all it has to offer. I thought the finale was great; the last 20-30 minutes were really entertaining and also added to the original 1939 film. As for the rest of the 90 minute running length though, well, I couldn't wait to get out of Oz. Oz is an okay film, but (re)enter at your own risk. Expand
  91. Mar 21, 2013
    The Wizard of Oz is one of those timeless classics that many critics and moviegoers say should not be touched. The film was originally based off of L. Frank Baum’s book of the same name in 1900. The Wizard of Oz was actually the first in a series that spanned multiple sequels starring Dorothy and other original protagonists. With so much additional material, another trip to Oz could prove to be very fun. Disney, the company behind this newest installment, attempts to capitalize on some of those other works by highlighting the exploits of Oz himself in Oz the Great and Powerful. It’s too bad that this most recent attempt by the House of Mouse fails in almost every regard to capture the magic that the original film and books have. Directed by Sam Raimi (Spider-Man, Evil Dead), Oz the Great and Powerful acts as a sort of broken continuity prequel to the original film. We see Oz’s origins as desperate carnival magician and con man Oscar Diggs (James Franco) in 1909 Kansas. His eventual transportation to Oz via CGI twister is much like the one Dorothy took on her original voyage in 1939. The movie shows the transformation of Diggs into the Wizard of Oz as well as his interactions with the three witches from the first movie.
    One would think the role of Oz would call for an actor who is capable of being charming, snarky and somewhat manipulative. Sadly, Franco is just too laid back, too normal and too boring to play a role that requires an actor to act larger than life. Oz needs to be a charismatic trickster, someone who can wink and smile his way out of life and death situations. Franco’s “charm” has him stumbling over his words and sputtering nonsense to every character that crosses his path.
    The rest of the cast is a mix bag as well. Evanora the Wicked (Rachel Weiz) and Glinda the Good (Michelle Williams) don’t really bring anything to the film at all. They’re not necessarily bad, but they’re just not that interesting either. Theodora (Mila Kunis), the third and probably the most recognizable of the witches goes through a character arc that is so unbelievably clichéd and laughable that it truly shows that the writers were just being lazy. Finley (Zach Braff) and China Girl (Joey King) are the only two characters in the film who provide any reason to care what’s happening on screen. While lacking in strong characters, the film is very pretty look at. Viewers are given the chance to see to new places in Oz and even revisit some old ones. The Emerald City and the Dark Forest are created using actual sets along with CGI imagery. The creatures, such as the always terrifying flying monkeys, provide are a much needed reprieve from the boring characters that audiences are stuck following. Oz the Great and Powerful is a pathetic franchise-starter that is attempting to cash-in on the name of the film that came before it. There's a generic hero’s journey, woefully underwritten characters and poor casting choices. The sense of magic is completely absent and replaced with special attention to green screen backdrops. The obvious merchandizing throughout makes the movie look like it’s following a pre-planned checklist of what to sell to kids after they see it. Stealing its plot lines and underdeveloped characters from 2010’s Alice in Wonderland doesn’t help the film’s claims of it being “an original tale from the mind of Sam Raimi.” Oz the Great and Powerful is nothing more than a poor attempt to exploit any nostalgia that people have for this world and its characters.
  92. Mar 20, 2013
    A fabulous fantasy and a blast to watch, Oz the Great and Powerful is visually powerful and a great family movie!!! Great acting (you actually feel sorry for a specific character), fantastic visuals, and a handful of references to Disney fairy tales and the original 1939 classic. Plus, despite being over 2 hours long, this Oz prequel never has a boring moment integrated into it. Sam Raimi has outdone himself!!!

Its' also clean for the most part. Though I do have to point out that if your younger ones were frightened by the witches/flying monkeys in the original Oz, stay FAR AWAY from this hot air balloon ride. This rendition of the classic magical land is a considerably darker and scarier place. Unlike the G-rated original that's fine for most 4 and 5 year olds on up, this PG-rated prequel of sorts is more for ages 9 and up.

For a more detailed review, visit www.moviestakenseriously.blogspot.com
  93. Mar 19, 2013
    I was really hoping this would be a good film. I grew up in the 1990s and used to watch The Wizard of Oz every year with my family for Thanksgiving as a kid. And to my surprise, at the age of 23, I can still say it's one of my favorite movies of all-time. With that said, I knew 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' could never reach the status of the original. I just wish I could have liked it enough to walk out of the theater satisfied, and wanting to buy it on Blu-ray. I didn't. Another reviewer mentioned how this is a kid's movie, not a family movie. I couldn't agree more. And it's such a shame, because kids aren't that stupid. Or at least, you don't have to reduce them to that. I appreciated The Wizard of Oz as a kid because Judy Garland was beautiful, and believable, the Witch was scary, and all the side characters played a crucial role in the story. In Oz: The Great and Powerful, I never became attached to any of the main characters (namely James Franco and Mila Kunis), and the side characters felt more like extras from Shrek (except they stayed on screen far longer than they should have). All in all, the semi-clever ending wasn't too bad, and to me, that's what saved the film. If not for that, the poor structure in the first half of the film, and the misplaced acting (Franco and Kunis are good actors, but weren't meant for this film) would have killed it for me. Rent it, or wait for it to come out on Netflix, it's not necessarily worth going to the theater for. Expand
  94. Mar 18, 2013
    The movie is actually not that bad.. i think it was okay but it could be much better. Recommended family movie! My score for "Oz the Great and Powerful" is 6/10...that's the highest personal score i can give.
  95. Mar 18, 2013
    I was mostly baffled by the amount of dialogue in what was intended to be a children's movie. Every 10 minutes of action (and by action, I mean characters actually doing something, not necessarily fighting) was interrupted by another 20 minutes of dialogue-based exposition.
  96. Mar 17, 2013
    I was skeptical about this film because of the poor reviews, and I went only because my 6-year-old son demanded it. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the story and cinematography. How the Wizard of Oz came to be was craftily and clearly explained--very faithful to the original story. James Franco was a very likeable con artist with a good heart. My son enjoyed the plot twists and the fun action sequences in the hot air balloon. I've been tiring of films that overstimulate with special effects at the expense of story, but this film had a nice balance of action and character development. The titles were particularly original and artistic. A great family film! Expand
  97. Mar 17, 2013
    Oz contains not so good performances and a horrible flowing script. However the visuals bring out of being a huge failure in this forgettable in this pathetic Disney adaptation of how Oz found his way in the classic wonderland.
  98. Mar 17, 2013
    Juvenile, awful directorship, an unfortunate use of 3D (incomparable to Ang Lee's use of 3D Life of Pi) which gave me a terrible headache. The woeful attempt at homour was absurd.
    Unsophisticated with banal motivational lines about believing blah blah. The actors possessed little acting skills, with perhaps the exception of Michelle Williams who managed to portray a tolerable (but not
    exceptional) Glinda and Rachel Weisz (who wasn't at her best). James Franco's Oz was extremely annoying and if that's what the director hoped to achieve then he accomplished this feat extremely well. However, the dangers of manifesting the egotistical, greedy and seedy characteristics of Oz without any charming offsetting traits has its disadvantages.Consequently, I felt no empathy with any of the characters with the exception of Theodora (despite Mila Kuni's poor performance) one managed to garner some understanding relating to her hatred of the Wizard (however, I attribute that due to my own feelings of contempt towards him). This film has not lived up to its exceptions but I blame Disney for appointing a terrible Director. With a huge budget it could have done so much more. Expand
  99. Mar 16, 2013
    I think Oz: the Great and Powerful is decent but the action and magical scenes were too violent for kids to see. I mean, the March season is a bit stale this season and I still have to wait for G.I. Joe Retalliation coming soon. There's no new releases for me so far although I'm not the last person seeing Jack the Giant Slayer because the film was a big failure at the box office. I still like James Franco, but where's Johnny Depp when you need him? It's gonna be a tough year for Disney, but I hope that Oz could be better than the poor John Carter last year. I'll wait for a rental. Expand
  100. Mar 16, 2013
    Trying to follow up on what is by most considered heritage material must have been a daunting task. The movie very much succeeds in visual design and treats the original and its feel/storytellingstyle with respect. Perhaps too much so, because it ends up being a story following a storytelling style that while being true to the original also being oldfashioned and naive. It is still a children's tale but most seeing it (and judging it) are scarcely children anymore. Be that as it may I was entertained and liked it, just not enough to se it more then once. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Mar 18, 2013
    At the center of the movie, in place of the ardent, emotionally pulverizing Judy Garland, there is James Franco...as he smirks and winks, his reflexive self-deprecation comes off as a gutless kind of cool, and it sinks this odd, fretful, uncertain movie like a boulder. [18 March 2013, p.86]
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Mar 10, 2013
    What we get here is Oz the Amiable and Unthreatening.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Mar 10, 2013
    It's familiar enough to be comfortable but not so familiar that it feels worn and repetitive.