Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: March 8, 2013
6.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 485 Ratings
Watch Now
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
Oz lacks the magic of its source material and might just be too dark and dull for young viewers. James Franco gives an uninspired performance and to say that a china doll was the best character sums it all up. It's visuals dazzle though.
wishmasterMay 8, 2013
Honestly just wanted to see this film by Michelle Williams; and the truth not me surprised, was what I expected: a bad film. Good Special effects but its only this, no more.
hoops2448Apr 23, 2013
Mention the Wizard of Oz in America and everyone has an opinion, it's an institution. In Britain it doesn't have the same effect which may make most people over here quite cynical when it comes to this prequel or maybe it means they will seeMention the Wizard of Oz in America and everyone has an opinion, it's an institution. In Britain it doesn't have the same effect which may make most people over here quite cynical when it comes to this prequel or maybe it means they will see it impartially. However this didn't happen for me because ultimately it just felt like any other fantasy film, a pretty one for sure but nothing in it ever distinguished it as the prequel to a classic. In fact it turned me off the original slightly. The film follows Oz an arrogant, slimy Kansas magician who is swept up in a hurricane and transported to Oz. He must travel the land that sees him as its savior despite his inherent nature. However he must contend with an evil witch (or two) along the way as well. It's a shame that a director known for being adventurous and ambitious plays Oz so incredibly safe in not only casting but story. There are certain qualities to be found in Oz that are hidden away beneath a wealth of mediocrity and problems, most of which reduce the film to an average family picture that will leave you empty on your exit. James Franco makes a good Oz but there is nothing surprising about his performance, it just feels as though he was a good choice, but not the right one. Michelle Williams however continues to impress with her turn as Glinda the good witch as she is knowledgeable, whimsical and a realist, something Williams shows almost effortlessly. Rachel Weisz entertains too but she is let down by Mila Kunis who is terribly miscast. Her naive witch comes across as irritating and when her character changes, you can guess how, she just becomes loud and even more irritating. An attempt to call back to the camp of the original just turns into poor emulation, especially in regards to the witches. The story itself is basic, bordering on formulaic forcing the film to impress with its visuals which like i said it does but it just isn't enough. The addition of sidekicks for Oz makes him a different kind of Dorothy with Zach Braff and Joey King playing a flying monkey and a china doll who can see the best and the worst in him. In fact the two of them are the most memorable parts of this film adding some great comic relief as well as most of the film's heart. The film has heart but it doesn't have enough to mask the problems and all around average feeling the movie creates Expand
MethusalahMar 18, 2013
I was mostly baffled by the amount of dialogue in what was intended to be a children's movie. Every 10 minutes of action (and by action, I mean characters actually doing something, not necessarily fighting) was interrupted by another 20I was mostly baffled by the amount of dialogue in what was intended to be a children's movie. Every 10 minutes of action (and by action, I mean characters actually doing something, not necessarily fighting) was interrupted by another 20 minutes of dialogue-based exposition. Expand
Rox22Sep 11, 2013
A decent enough movie that has some rather pretty visuals. Some interesting characters and it is fun to see how the land of Oz came to be what it was in the classic movie.

Some OK performances, but nothing memorable. Milla Kunis, while

Some OK performances, but nothing memorable. Milla Kunis, while unbelievably hot as usual, perhaps seems to be having too much fun with her role, if ever there was a modern example of over acting, she is it. Franco is,? Well? Franco is Franco. A bit hard to see him as anything else as his range isn't that far. China Girl (Joey King) was just so adorable and my favorite character of the movie. A really heartwarming performance. The rest of the cast are just forgettable.

Overall:
An OK movie that was better than I expected, but not by much.
NightReviewsMar 8, 2013
Ever since my love for film sprang to life in the form of Christopher Nolan’s Memento in 2000, I have been dreading the moment that I would have to publicly, and in print, come out and say that the 1939 feature film version of L. Frank Baum’sEver since my love for film sprang to life in the form of Christopher Nolan’s Memento in 2000, I have been dreading the moment that I would have to publicly, and in print, come out and say that the 1939 feature film version of L. Frank Baum’s childrens stories The Wizard of Oz was by no means a favourite of mine.

Made 48 years after the year of my birth, the American classic is undoubtedly an achievement in style, form and film especially knowing that the cinematic venture had four directors attached to it at one time, a slew of production issues and inexplicable disasters.

Today, 74-years after the original American classic, Disney has decided to carefully [given copyright laws and agreements] deliver a prequel to audience members and their grandparents without many lions, or tigers or bears, or ruby slippers or chin moles, oh my! Nearly a decade ago, Disney decided to adapt a film from a amusement park ride in the form of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. Fast forward ten years, and now Disney is doing the opposite and trying to make a feature film an elaborately lush, often cheesy and nauseating roller-coaster type film in the form of Oz the Great and Powerful. But just like any other roller coaster, Oz the Great and Powerful does have its fun and amusing moments. Starting in the same fashion of the original film, Oz the Great and Powerful shines in glorious black and white. Introducing us to Oscar Diggs (James Franco) in tributing 4:3 Academy ratio then to a 16:9 widescreen ratio once Diggs enters the magical land of Oz, director Sam Raimi and his team gets it right at first. But as the land of Oz begins to widen and its characters, as well as Diggs’ journey, begins to unfold, somewhere over the rainbow is where the story and movie looses so much of its magic.

Franco plays Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Issac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs, small time magician in a moving circus, con-artist and 20th Century playboy. After playing a routine show with his trusty and undervalued sidekick Frank (Zach Braff), Oscar gets a surprise visit from a former flame Annie (Michelle Williams) informing him of her engagement. Sentimental and vulnerable, Oscar is chased away from the circus on a hot-air ballon where he is faced off against an angry twister and sent in to the colourful world of Oz. Rich and saturated with colour, Oz fatefully introduced Oscar to Theodora (Mila Kunis) and is brought to speed about the prophecy of a great and powerful wizard appearing out of thin air to the land to free them from the evil witch. Skeptical at first, before knowing of his inheritance in gold thanks to his advisor Evanora (Rachel Weisz), Oscar’s agrees to rid of the evil witch. Aided by an unusual team of friends, Finley, a monkey with wings (voiced by sidekick Zach Braff again) and China Girl (Joey King) as well as the Glinda The Good Witch (Michelle Williams), Oscar, simply a man in a fantastical world, is faced with his greatest con yet.

There is no denying the enchantingly entertaining spirit of Oz the Great and Powerful. Screenwriters Mitchell Kapner and Robert Lindsay-Abaire tried so very hard [given so many copyright regulations] to keep the spirit alive from Braun’s literature and the original feature film. But where the film lacks in spirit and true spell-binding beauty it makes up for in CGI-laden set designs and characters. It is quite a shame to think that the most emotionally involving and manipulating instances of the film revolved around Finley and China girl, two CGI-derived characters. Although the film really feels authentic and one may get lost in the first black and white act, one becomes a bit distracted with the constant objects shooting out of the small 4:3 ratio frame repeatedly. It seems like Disney has yet to find a film where they can exercise Real D 3D in moderation. But one must not forget the origins of the man who was at the helm of Oz the Great and Powerful, Sam Raimi. A masterclass in camp and B-films, Raimi was the man responsible for the lowest AND highest points for Spider-Man on film as well as the cheap and campy Evil Dead trilogy. In true original fashion, Raimi never strays away from the cheap thrills, cliched one-liners, and narrative predictability. Raimi and his crew tried so hard to find the magic of its predecessor but must be soon realizing that there is no place like home, especially given his success in the horror genre with his last entry Drag Me To Hell.
BikerjamesMar 11, 2013
First the good news. The film looks great and the 3D is fantastic. Unfortunately the casting is all wrong. I can hear it now "Let's see, James Franco was in one of my Spiderman films, cast him as the Wizard. Oh, James is best friends withFirst the good news. The film looks great and the 3D is fantastic. Unfortunately the casting is all wrong. I can hear it now "Let's see, James Franco was in one of my Spiderman films, cast him as the Wizard. Oh, James is best friends with Mila Kunis, so put her in the film as a witch." etc. etc. The 1939 film is the success it is because of the casting, writing, and sets. This one only has the sets. You know something is wrong when you are constantly upstaged by a flying monkey and that is a computer creation. He is the only one with personality. The only actor that clicked with me was Michelle Williams as Glenda the Good Witch. The best part of the entire film was the fantastic 3D at the opening credits. Overall, a disappointment. Expand
cFRESHlechnerMar 11, 2013
The first semi-highly anticipated film of the year Oz the Great and Powerful is not a worthy prequel by any means. Raimi's touch was satisfying with a few Evil Dead like camera work, but that along with the great animated visuals was notThe first semi-highly anticipated film of the year Oz the Great and Powerful is not a worthy prequel by any means. Raimi's touch was satisfying with a few Evil Dead like camera work, but that along with the great animated visuals was not enough to carry the film. James Franco gives a below average performance and Mila Kunis is ridiculously silly as the evil witch and a horrible casting choice. Expand
A_NorthernerMar 11, 2013
At heart Oz is a moral story of good and bad (the witches), and good and great (Oz), though the journey of the characters from one to the other are not always as complete (Oz) or credible as they could be (the wicked witch).

Starting

Starting with Oz himself, a 'magician' in Kansas, nothing wrong with that, he knows he is a fraud, but he is also an arrogant, womanising, unscrupulous shyster. By the end of the film, I'm not sure how many of those traits he has learnt the error of, despite upsetting most of Oz, before saving the day with a combination of earthly illusions and charm. James Franco's casting raised eyebrows, however I think he brought a degree of humility to the role that made Oz vaguely likeable. I am certain I could not have coped with Robert Downey Jr's (the producers first choice) style of arrogance in the role.

Franco is supported by an accomplished cast of witches in Kunis, Weisz and Williams, and its Williams who wins hands down with her measured and gentle performance. Kunis is smouldering as always while Weisz seems to be trying too hard. Without giving anything away, I was disappointed in the transformation of one of the witches to the famous Wicked Witch of the West. The gravitas of the role seemed too much for the actress in question. Zach Braff adds value as Oz's beleaguered assistant in Kansas and the voice of a comedy sidekick flying monkey in Oz. The same can be said for Joey King, voicing China Girl with a sincerity that belies her years.

Director Sam Raimi delivers a vibrant, colourful landscape, similar to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, that looks sublime at times but sometimes the CGI was overpowering. The green screen certainly earned its pay-check. Raimi adds some neat references to the film's source, most notably the 4:3 sepia tone introduction in Kansas, which looks great in addition to the old fashioned style of shots.

Overall, considering my expectations I was slightly disappointed but there is just enough magic here, in Raimi's visuals and elements of the plot, to suggest the return to Oz was worthwhile.
TheWalrus2000Mar 17, 2013
Oz contains not so good performances and a horrible flowing script. However the visuals bring out of being a huge failure in this forgettable in this pathetic Disney adaptation of how Oz found his way in the classic wonderland.
SpikedragonMar 9, 2013
This movie relies too heavily on CGI. It would have been much nicer to have real scenery, because using too much of CGI just loses the realism it once had from the original. Along with it, annoying supporting characters. They're eitherThis movie relies too heavily on CGI. It would have been much nicer to have real scenery, because using too much of CGI just loses the realism it once had from the original. Along with it, annoying supporting characters. They're either there for comic relief as their only purpose, or just plain annoying. However, some scenes does compliment the original movie and does explain how everything came to be in the first place. This movie is basically Disney trying to make a Wicked copycat. It's worth a try for the average moviegoer, but those who know the story will notice problems with this movie. Expand
MortenJensenMar 12, 2013
Oz the Great and Powerful, is a colourful and vibrant movie that tends to stimulate your senses with it's technicality and adventurous music. But unfortunately the movie falls short from almost every scene. Sure the movie has it's moments,Oz the Great and Powerful, is a colourful and vibrant movie that tends to stimulate your senses with it's technicality and adventurous music. But unfortunately the movie falls short from almost every scene. Sure the movie has it's moments, but they are short and far between. And it tends to get quiet boring, with underwhelwing twist and turns. The actors do their jobs well, with a few standouts and cg characters that do their parts very well. I feel that the movie could have brought a lot more to the table, but instead plays it's safe and ends up kinda cliché. I had a couple of laughs and enjoyed the pretty cgi landscapes, because it sure is pretty. I'm aware that it's a childrens movie, and they will probably enjoy themselves. But it lacks heart and soul and a better story with more meat and juicy. Even though i didn't have high hopes, i was dissapointed.
Saw it in 3D.
badgerryan15May 29, 2013
It was alright. Nothing really special about it The visual effects where nice though. It was an alright prequel. Hopefully next one will be better but i doubt it. You know how sequels go.
JacobDec 16, 2013
While this film has a cliché story and meh characters it does have some charm. Some of the characters are likeable and the story decent. Additionally, this is the Wizard of Oz the film stays true to the spirit of the classic film, which helpsWhile this film has a cliché story and meh characters it does have some charm. Some of the characters are likeable and the story decent. Additionally, this is the Wizard of Oz the film stays true to the spirit of the classic film, which helps it feel acceptable as a prequel. I’d recommend this film to anyone who didn’t like Return to Oz as this film is more colorful and light-hearted. This film is also good for kids as the film seems to be their target audience so they’ll probably enjoy themselves. For me this is a rental. Not entirely bad but nothing spectacular. If you are looking for a decent film to kill some time this is the movie to check out. It’s not as good as Return to Oz but it is definitely better than the last big budget live action film from Disney Alice in Wonderland (2010). Expand
TVJerryMar 15, 2013
This prequel explains the Wizard's backstory. After an enchanting opening title sequence, a scruffy traveling magician (James Franco, who's kinda bland) gets blown into a fantastic world of magic and talky witches. Like the Wizard, I wasn'tThis prequel explains the Wizard's backstory. After an enchanting opening title sequence, a scruffy traveling magician (James Franco, who's kinda bland) gets blown into a fantastic world of magic and talky witches. Like the Wizard, I wasn't sure where it was headed. The visual style and EFX are either very stylized or very cheesy. There are some truly magical moments, while others are slow and maudlin. Some of the supporting characters (including a monkey and porcelain girl) are delightful. Children won't be as picky and will likely be thoroughly enchanted. More demanding grownups may be charmed at times and yawning at others. Expand
BamaFalstaffMar 13, 2013
A melodramatically cheesy script, a little miscasting, and some missed opportunities at twists make this much-anticipated film a disappointment. For those wanting winks and nods at the MGM classic will become desperate for anything. Those whoA melodramatically cheesy script, a little miscasting, and some missed opportunities at twists make this much-anticipated film a disappointment. For those wanting winks and nods at the MGM classic will become desperate for anything. Those who are able (and willing) to watch with fresh eyes without any expectations might find this film more enjoyable. Expand
KadeemluvmusicMar 16, 2013
I think Oz: the Great and Powerful is decent but the action and magical scenes were too violent for kids to see. I mean, the March season is a bit stale this season and I still have to wait for G.I. Joe Retalliation coming soon. There's noI think Oz: the Great and Powerful is decent but the action and magical scenes were too violent for kids to see. I mean, the March season is a bit stale this season and I still have to wait for G.I. Joe Retalliation coming soon. There's no new releases for me so far although I'm not the last person seeing Jack the Giant Slayer because the film was a big failure at the box office. I still like James Franco, but where's Johnny Depp when you need him? It's gonna be a tough year for Disney, but I hope that Oz could be better than the poor John Carter last year. I'll wait for a rental. Expand
jlplattenMar 13, 2013
I wouldn't call this a good movie because it was really cheesy. However, I did enjoy it enough to say that it's not a complete waste of time. I'm not a fan of the orginal, so I took this movie for what it was. My wife is a die hard fan of theI wouldn't call this a good movie because it was really cheesy. However, I did enjoy it enough to say that it's not a complete waste of time. I'm not a fan of the orginal, so I took this movie for what it was. My wife is a die hard fan of the orginal, and she hated it. I guess that tells you everything you need to know. Expand
StevenFSep 7, 2013
A triumphant prologue opens up a film that tosses and turns in its confidence and ambition, ultimately falling short of the magical and memorable moments that made the original Oz film such a classic. What the film is missing is theA triumphant prologue opens up a film that tosses and turns in its confidence and ambition, ultimately falling short of the magical and memorable moments that made the original Oz film such a classic. What the film is missing is the definition of fantasy and reality, the original often toyed with the audience about whether Dorothy ever went to the Emerald City, but this film sets out with many callbacks and mentions to the original, but doesn't add up to a significant or plausible adventure. This is a prequel, a "how it all began" approach, but James Franco shows a different side to the man we may remember, he womanises, frauds and cheats anyone he meets, until he here whisked away in a hurricane (sound familiar?) and ends up in the mystical land that shares his magician name, Oz. While stunning and epic on beauty, it feels empty and a chance to show how far special effects can push the spectrum, the familiar yellow brick road is there, but it was much more fulfilling seeing Dorothy, Scarecrow and friends bouncing along and singing their way to the great city, but in this, Oz arrive in moments after meeting a beautiful witch Theodora (Mila Kunis), who sees no wrong in her new companion, and then he is gone again, off to defeat the wicked witch.
The film takes an interesting but under-explained twist, one which has very little build-up in terms of deep character development, it all happens very fast, leaving little time to revel in some of the finer moments of the film, the set pieces are big, but the plot inconsistencies put a darker light on moments that could have been appreciated more. These scenes pick up well after a slow start in the land of Oz, but tonal shifts and confusing assumptions still cloud the goal that was trying to be reached by the ambitious director Sam Raimi. I'm still on the fence about the casting of James Franco as the "great and powerful" Oz, he brings an interesting charm to the role, but seems to miss the opportunity at a charismatic and controlling individual, something the heavily rumoured Robert Downey Jr. would undeniably have brought. Mila Kunis is certainly the standout of the film, she plays a conflicted and passionate character in Theodora, proving her worth when it matters most. Her sister in the film is played by the talented Rachel Weiz, who is a charming yet equally cunning witch who never sits easy as the film unfolds.
This isn't the return to Oz that I'm sure we all hoped for, while there are very impressive visuals and some sturdy performances, one can't help but revisit the old ways to sing a long with Dorothy and her pals, rather than a heavy CGI flick with only passing moments of marvel.
imthenoobJul 30, 2013
First off, It looks beautiful. Sam Rami did a great job at creating the world of Oz and I am sure that it would have been awesome to see it in 3-D (considering Rami actually made use of it in this film). The acting is ok, James Franco sort ofFirst off, It looks beautiful. Sam Rami did a great job at creating the world of Oz and I am sure that it would have been awesome to see it in 3-D (considering Rami actually made use of it in this film). The acting is ok, James Franco sort of fades in and out for me through out the film. Williams, Kunis, and Weisz do a great job as the witches as well, They really help carry the film. Zach Braff is easily the star as the love-able monkey assistant, He was great.

The plot is fine as well but the dialogue just doesn't really cut it. There are parts that are fantastic and others there are really lack-luster. I'd have like to see a script with more solid dialogue through out the film instead of short bursts. The run time was a bit of a killer for me as well. I think it would have been better if it had been a little shorter.

Overall, It wasn't that bad of a movie. I enjoyed watching it and I'd recommend giving it a shot but it wasn't as good as it could have been.
DarkKnightG4Apr 1, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oz the Great and the Powerful is an entertaining film, but one that has numerous drawbacks. The story arc of this film is good enough and flows into the original Wizard of Oz quite well. There seemed to be a good amount of respect for the original movie and I think that goes a long ways as to not offending fans of the classic. This is also a gorgeous film, with great CGI environments and CGI characters. I found the 3D effects to be quite immersive and beneficial. Sadly the acting just isn't up to par, with the two fully CGI supporting characters outshining the live actors in pretty much every way. I thought James Franco had progressed as an actor after seeing him in 127 hours and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, however he was overly cheesy, in a non-convincing way, in this one. I'll chalk it up to being miscast. Same goes to Mila Kunis, who was mind bogglingly miscast to be the Wicked Witch from the classic Oz. Not only was the transformation unremarkable, but they continued to use her likeness and voice after she became the witch. This was jarring and unconvincing. One second you're hearing Meg Griffin and the next you're hearing a wicked witch cackle that was voiced over by someone else. I think this was the biggest problem of the movie and one that could have easily been remedied by using a different actress as the wicked witch and having the transformation happen gradually throughout the movie instead of over the course of 5 minutes. Seeing the character breaking down over a longer period of time would have made the psychology behind the Wicked Witch much more interesting. Overall the movie is an entertaining one time watch, but could have easily been much more if the acting matched the aesthetics of the movie. 6/10 Expand
MovieFan123Apr 8, 2013
While this film got great visuals, the attacking by James Franco and the three witches is less than except able and its shows that it is a Disney film. I have nothing against Disney. In fact I love Disney. However you can tell Disney andWhile this film got great visuals, the attacking by James Franco and the three witches is less than except able and its shows that it is a Disney film. I have nothing against Disney. In fact I love Disney. However you can tell Disney and director Sam Raimi were trying to make the film kid friendly. The wicked witch of the west is not as scary as the original. There are no memorable quotes and the dialogue does not contain any complex words. All in all this is a good movie for kids but think about it before bringing older kids to it. Expand
MitchReviewsJun 11, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is about how Oz got his job. I find this interesting because, I bet some people like me wanted to know how Oz got his job. This film is okay, but I didn't get most of the jokes they made through out the film. The last time I've seen James Franco was in the Spider Man movies. It had a good ending. Expand
InspectorJJul 30, 2013
A good film to see if you love the world of Oz, but otherwise, not too great of a film, from its basic, cliché (and quite frankly, pointless) story, to its poor overuse of CGI throughout the film.
Don't get high expectations.
Nesbitt10Jun 7, 2013
"Oz the Great and Powerful" manages to continue the spirit of its legendary predecessor, marked with darkness and tension—and it's an enjoyable to watch for the visual effects alone. The film contains many nods to the original "The Wizard of"Oz the Great and Powerful" manages to continue the spirit of its legendary predecessor, marked with darkness and tension—and it's an enjoyable to watch for the visual effects alone. The film contains many nods to the original "The Wizard of Oz" (1939), without it feeling forced or taking away from the story at hand. The film acknowledges the moments for those with a fondness for the childhood classic. It is a relatively faithful remake, but comes up short on surprises for a truly, memorable adventure.

The film starts off in black & white as we are introduced to Oz (James Franco), ho-hum life as a magician traveling with the “Baum Brothers” circus. One day, while escaping in a hot air balloon from an enraged strongman, Oz is caught in a tornado and deposited in Oz. Color now enters the world after landing into this new magical land; and when he gets there, it certainly does come to life. Oscar's arrival is afforded with full color, widescreen treatment by Raimi and his band of CGI landscapers. Though garishly convincing, the world of Oz lacks the 'wow' factor of James Cameron's "Avatar" (2009). Once there, meets the witch Theodora (Mila Kunis), who believes he represents the fulfillment of a prophecy made by the late king. She escorts Oz to Emerald City, where he meets Theodora's sister, Evanora (Rachel Weisz). In order to claim the throne, however, he must travel into the Dark Forest and kill the Wicked Witch.

James Franco is fine as our protagonist this film, for the most part. Oscar comes across more as a sleazy opportunist--a man conflicted with his inner-demons. His charm and attitude-works well in this film-as he is forced to politely lie and muddle his way through the adventure. Fortunately, the performances by the witches are more entertaining, but to discuss any of the three characters in any detail might spoil what few surprises are to be had. The latter half of the film in particular is dominated by the trio, and thankfully so. Weisz and Williams are fitting as Evanora and Glinda--but it is Mila Kunis, who truly comes to dominate the film with her commanding performance as Theodora.

It is largely an entertaining piece of eye candy that goes on longer than it should. It benefits from having a director who brings energy, humor, and emotion to what could have been a soulless exercise, much like "Alice in Wonderland" (2010). "Oz the Great and Powerful" was never going to hit the same heights as the 1939 classic, nor was it ever fair to expect or presume it to do so. It is a film decidedly of its era, and while it is quite the spectacle, the present-day nature of the CGI effects means it will likely become dated and overlooked relatively quickly.
worleyjamersMar 21, 2013
A disappointing return to Oz. Visually dazzling at times, but I literally felt like I was watching a cartoon at times. The tone switches awkwardly from sweet/humorous to dark/ominous; the combination doesn't work and makes the whole projectA disappointing return to Oz. Visually dazzling at times, but I literally felt like I was watching a cartoon at times. The tone switches awkwardly from sweet/humorous to dark/ominous; the combination doesn't work and makes the whole project feel messy. The performances were underwhelming. The main problem I had with the film is that, for the most part, I was completely bored. Add to that the tonal inconsistencies, cartoon visuals, and disappointing performances, you get a film that's hard to enjoy for all it has to offer. I thought the finale was great; the last 20-30 minutes were really entertaining and also added to the original 1939 film. As for the rest of the 90 minute running length though, well, I couldn't wait to get out of Oz. Oz is an okay film, but (re)enter at your own risk. Expand
mhildenMar 24, 2013
The Good: Glenda was awesome. Michelle Williams did a great job in her performance. The final action scenes were great. Zach Braff was great in both roles. The China Doll was well acted and presented. The overall story was well devised.The Good: Glenda was awesome. Michelle Williams did a great job in her performance. The final action scenes were great. Zach Braff was great in both roles. The China Doll was well acted and presented. The overall story was well devised.

The Bad: James Franco was atrocious. I loved him in other roles but this was terribly acted. Mila Kunis another favorite of mine received the same fate. Even her media circuit seemed unwanted. The CGI was sometimes good and sometimes bad. There were times when you could see the actors walking and it looked like they were in a homemade video like you might find in a mall or something. Sam Raimi let me down on this because I've seen all of these actors do better in other roles which leads me to believe that this film was under-directed. This is a big fall from the Spider Man films. Verdict: Rent It.
SummersausageMar 16, 2013
It was very beautiful. It rose to the level of tim burtons alice in wonderland. The cinematography was strong as well as art direction, visual effects and overall protection of the original story. However, this is not a good film. TheIt was very beautiful. It rose to the level of tim burtons alice in wonderland. The cinematography was strong as well as art direction, visual effects and overall protection of the original story. However, this is not a good film. The downfall of this picture are 3 fold. The screenplays dialogue, pace of the long and overcapitalized story, and the acting. These flaws throw the bliss of the movie into destruction and ended up being a lame duck. Expand
LonePiperMar 11, 2013
This film is entertaining, contains beautiful visuals and a few perfectly realized moments and characters. However the overall tone it achieves completely mismatches the whimsical nature of the setting. The 1939 film knew how to set the rightThis film is entertaining, contains beautiful visuals and a few perfectly realized moments and characters. However the overall tone it achieves completely mismatches the whimsical nature of the setting. The 1939 film knew how to set the right tone the bad guys were bad guys, the good guys were good guys, the story was straightforward and it never got TOO serious. Oz the great and powerful feels like it's trying to be a fantasy epic along the lines of Lord of the Rings squeezed into a storybook setting.
Everything about this is too serious and detracts from the childlike fantasy setting. Characters have complex and multi-layered motivations, including some really tragic backstories and character arcs that are way too dark, and action sequences with stakes that are too high tha play out more like jedi lightsaber battles.
I'm not sure what tone Raimi was going for here, but between the whimsical setting and character design and the all-too-serious story, there's not even a comfortable middle ground.
SEROJMar 18, 2013
The movie is actually not that bad.. i think it was okay but it could be much better. Recommended family movie! My score for "Oz the Great and Powerful" is 6/10...that's the highest personal score i can give.