Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 12, 2013
Generally favorable reviews based on 1533 Ratings
1,172
WATCH NOW
hondalikeJul 14, 2013
If you enjoy human piloted robot anime you will enjoy this movie. If campy acting and generic character building is not a deal breaker for you you're also in luck with this film. The special effects are at current level dynamics and a worthyIf you enjoy human piloted robot anime you will enjoy this movie. If campy acting and generic character building is not a deal breaker for you you're also in luck with this film. The special effects are at current level dynamics and a worthy 3D experience. I'm an anime/cartoon/sci-fi etc. watching adult, however, Pacific Rim 3D, eventually made me aware that I was sitting and staring with my head in one position for over two hours. Bring the kids and a fat wallet. Expand
tibzoidJul 12, 2013
Dull, noisy, clichéd. I'm shocked that Del Toro had anything to do with this. I know fanboys eat this adolescent stuff with a spoon, but if you're looking for anything innovative and inspired, do not see this movie. Just terrible.
calinutzJul 17, 2013
The script was awful, the CGI was good, the story was stupid, and the physics of everything... just impossible.
- Seriously, building enormous robots, out of heavy metal, only to have them fist-fight with sea monsters? Punching and throwing monsters on buildings? I have no words to describe how stupid that really feels. Why do they have plasma guns if they only use it AFTER being ass kicked Is the plasma too expensive for them? Are they running on car batteries and they don't want to waste the power?
At the end, one of the robots seem to have discovered a swordlike weapon. Wow, that could have been useful earlier.
- Another gem was the UN chairman saying they wont fund the robots anymore... like they have a choice... I cannot see the other choice though... Do not tell me the other choice was building walls. It's ridiculous.
- Judging by the size of the robots and monsters fighting... in the sea... every time they fell, a giant wave should have started and clean the land. Instead, nothing like that happens.
- The worst scene ever was when the ginormous robot picks up 2 buses and use them to splatter the head of a monster... Like just using it's ginormous metal hands wouldn't be enough. The buses must be built of stronger steel than the robot itself?

- It was "awesome" the fact that the scientists had to physically go to the army base in order to tell them that it's not gonna work (the plan). This is happening in 2017 or 2027? Awesome... so they uninvented the phones cellphones...
- It picks up buses in it's hand, then later it picks up a huge navy boat. Judging by their proportions, that ship was no taller than a bus, only longer. Really?
- In the ending fight scene... underwater... those monsters roar like they are on the surface. Awesome again.
- The idea to send an atomic bomb inside the rift came to them after 10-15 years from the beginning of the attacks, after tens of millions of civilian deaths... sounds reeeeaallly realistic :)
- On the base, the oxygen levels from inside the robot, are still readable from inside the rift (inter-dimensional portal)
- When the rift (bridge) collapses, it's representation in the army base shows it as it happens... in realtime... with nice effects... wow... the programmers of the future thought of everything, also installed sensors from top to bottom of the rift without even going there?
- The fighting scenes are so dark and shot from such angles so that I could not understand what was happening most of the time.
- And seriously... 6 helicopters move around the robots? Those giant metal machines? That is impossible, to say the least.
- The black market guy, just stands and chats while at two feet from a giant monster that 10 seconds ago was demolishing buildings and boats, and only seemed to die from no reason at all? That is realistic in what universe?
- Why would the head of the robot need to be detachable from the body? Why did the pilots have to enter the head... somewhere 10 feet above the 20 meters high robot, and after they entered the head... it would start descending into it's place... These stupid moments could have been used to develop some characters background stories
- No story for the characters. Besides the surviving brother and the surviving Japanese girl no other character has any story? Let's say I liked the fighting scenes... More like the idea of the fights. But they were too long, and too silly. Fighting with their fists against sea monsters... that is just peachy.

I expected so much more from this movie... now I have no idea why
WhySoSerious54Jul 12, 2013
Between the miserable script, the cardboard acting(Except for Edris), the mish mash action sequences. It seemed as though you could barely see what was heppening in any fight. Either the Rain, the darkness, or the ocean kept messing up theBetween the miserable script, the cardboard acting(Except for Edris), the mish mash action sequences. It seemed as though you could barely see what was heppening in any fight. Either the Rain, the darkness, or the ocean kept messing up the fights. I found myself looking way to hard to say "What just happened there" "How" and "What?" The monsters were hardly relatable as was the story itself. Great for 13 year olds. I love action movies and monster movies but at one point you could really care less who was getting crushed, stomped, or killed because you really dont care. Collapse
YellowKirbySep 9, 2015
There was noting I could enjoy about this movie other than the closing credits. It has one dimensional characters, a rubbish story and over the top action sequences. Probably the worst movie ever made.
InsaneSamuraiOct 16, 2013
Nonsense. The graphics team deserves a lot of praise, but this movie was not well thought out at all. Cliche followed by cliche, followed by wasting time with a story that barely made any sense at all and contradicted itself. It's amazingNonsense. The graphics team deserves a lot of praise, but this movie was not well thought out at all. Cliche followed by cliche, followed by wasting time with a story that barely made any sense at all and contradicted itself. It's amazing that so much money can be put into a movie and nobody tried to actually think about much beyond the initial idea. They just jammed in as many things they could rip off from other movies and robot animes. Probably would've been amazing if they had just released a 20 minute robot fight without attempting to add a plot Expand
NoxiousOct 13, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Besides the glaring physical, logical, and downright even possible fallacies that these piece of poo movie has, I am more dumbfounded at the 824 positive reviews out of 983. There's 103 negative, so I'm obviously not alone, but it's a scary thought that I'm the minority in realizing how terrible this movie is. My favorite parts are where there are no vital signs at the end and he miraculously starts breathing and talking, and when they're getting their asses kicked they're like, "we're not done yet," and whips out the sword...Just stupid. Expand
will442Aug 20, 2013
I was actually looking forward to this film, and boy oh boy was I disappointed. Yup the effects looked expansive and no doubt were expensive but seriously what was the point?Just a terrible terrible film. I have only considered leaving theI was actually looking forward to this film, and boy oh boy was I disappointed. Yup the effects looked expansive and no doubt were expensive but seriously what was the point?Just a terrible terrible film. I have only considered leaving the cinema for one film prior to today and that was for the Catherine Zeta Jones epic no reservations, which is better than this film. Remember the scene from Wayne's World 2, when he meets the "can we not get better than this" guy on his way to Gordon Street? That guy is like Alec Guiness to this cast. I have already wasted too much time on this film in my life, so as summary just really do not bother Expand
ElectricPhaseAug 8, 2013
This movie requires that you disengage your brain and then attempts to reward you with a constant roller coaster adrenaline high. (Hint: after the first half hour, you just want to get off the damn ride.) It is possible to enjoy thisThis movie requires that you disengage your brain and then attempts to reward you with a constant roller coaster adrenaline high. (Hint: after the first half hour, you just want to get off the damn ride.) It is possible to enjoy this movie....but only if you don't mind the lack of acting skill, engaging characters, plausible dialogue, or a plot that makes any sense whatsoever. Provided you can overlook such minor flaws, you will be blown away by more than two hours of audio and visual overload. I'm pretty sure the sustained shock and awe gave me a few more grey hairs. But hey, the CGI team deserves a golf clap and a pat on the back. Nice doggie! Expand
calueldesOct 5, 2013
You can see a lot of different movies or series here. You can see the old japanese metal warrior (Changemen, Flashman, Jaspion, Ultraman), Transformers, the anime Evangelion and even Lord Of The Rings (The "You canot pass" scene). But youYou can see a lot of different movies or series here. You can see the old japanese metal warrior (Changemen, Flashman, Jaspion, Ultraman), Transformers, the anime Evangelion and even Lord Of The Rings (The "You canot pass" scene). But you canor see anything new. Tre script is shallow: Giant Robots have to destroy Giant Monsters, but there is a complication, not too complicate.
The movie tries to be an action movie, emotional, dramatic and more... fails in everything. And it"s too long. Seriously, it is a crap full of especial efects.
csw12Oct 4, 2013
The great action sequences, which get ridiculous upon each one and less visible, can't make up for the horrible acting, stupid characters, and corniness that was frankly shockingly blatant. Its hard to enjoy a film when you have multiple 20The great action sequences, which get ridiculous upon each one and less visible, can't make up for the horrible acting, stupid characters, and corniness that was frankly shockingly blatant. Its hard to enjoy a film when you have multiple 20 to 30 minute dull parts spaced throughout the movie Expand
SwatiSep 10, 2013
I expected better from Guillermo del Toro. How could he possibly have thought that this would work? But maybe he was looking for something different. The movie did earn hugely, so maybe money was what he was looking for this time. ButI expected better from Guillermo del Toro. How could he possibly have thought that this would work? But maybe he was looking for something different. The movie did earn hugely, so maybe money was what he was looking for this time. But seriously, one would expect better things from the guy who brought us Pan's Labyrinth. The one is for the cinematography, because it looked like they had worked hard on it. The story, characters, ending, and pretty much everything else was below par. Very disappointing. Expand
LKaiJul 22, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The action is good, but everyone told you that, here's what's bad: The characters are flat, poorly develop, do not undergo any development or share chemistry. The best acting was Idris Elba, but there was only one or two memorable scenes. The "2 pilots have to be in sync"-plot device gets totally ignored by the end, would've opened up so much more chances for actual story and character. Same with the syncing with the alien mind, so much potential. Overall there are many glimpses of infinitively better movies around and I wouldn't be surprised, if a lot of character development was cut out to make room for more fight scenes.
Talk about glimpses of other movies, this is probably the most disappointing and the greatest deal breaker. After I saw the trailer and read a review or two I thought: Godzilla vs. Gundam, a homage/exploration of Mecha/Kaiju movies that sounds good. The movie is not a homage or an exploration of the topic, but rather the results of a circle wank of Neon Genesis Evangelion, Godzilla (the new one), War of Worlds and Transformers. There is nothing fresh or new or interesting about it, we've seen it all before (in 2D and less extensive special effects). It's technically a remake of those movies, with 0 own ideas that are worked out (as the intimately fused minds led to nowhere). Also for Christ's sake, if you can't live without ripping off other movies, why for the love of god can't you rip off more good ones?
SeebassJul 27, 2013
Hands down, the worst movie I have seen in the last 20 years. I cannot possibly overstate how bad this film was, absolutely horrible in every way, and no, the special effects did not even come close to saving this disaster. Do not believeHands down, the worst movie I have seen in the last 20 years. I cannot possibly overstate how bad this film was, absolutely horrible in every way, and no, the special effects did not even come close to saving this disaster. Do not believe the positive user reviews, anybody over the age of 8 that would give this movie anything over a 1-2 should really have their head examined, I just can't imagine an adult seeing this and thinking enough of it that they would log in and give it a 10.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Trust me, every single person involved in this POS is embarrassed that they had anything to do with it and are laughing at the rubes who don't seem to know trash when they see it. 0 out of 10, truly a pathetic effort in every way. Expand
donstukaAug 14, 2013
when I say that it was a movie by del toro I really wanted to see pacific rim... well what can I say, just disappointing. It is really hard so watch the fights scenes because they are filled up with so many effects it hurts the eyes. Thewhen I say that it was a movie by del toro I really wanted to see pacific rim... well what can I say, just disappointing. It is really hard so watch the fights scenes because they are filled up with so many effects it hurts the eyes. The story isn't suitable for me, but maybe for others. As a result it is pretty much subjective if you like the story or not, but all the visual effects made it nearly unenjoyable. Expand
StockFeb 10, 2015
What an insult to my intelligence!

What an insult to my intelligence!

The movie was the typical 'yee-haw' propoganda. At least 20 times did logic completely fail in this movie. The protagonists did not act like they were a part of the military as they disobeyed many times. The overall design of the mechs were extremely useless (why create mechs to engage in a fist fight with a creature rather than create an effective weapon to kill it?)

Absolutely awful. The only thing the movie had going for it was the CGI - the plot was made for children which is why it was so basic while ignoring a lot of realities in the world.

0/10 - I would NOT watch this again even if you snuck into my house, grabbed me by the nuts and slapped them with elastic bands.
TheMongooseJul 17, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For the record, I had zero preconceptions about this movie. The only thing I knew about it was from a cup from Carl's Jr. that had the robots on it (which came to be called Jaegers). My boss decided to have a team building day the friday it came out and he took us to see it.

Story interesting, but contrived and predictable.

Dialogue terrible. I was rewriting the script in my mind. The Japanese girl does not speak like a Japanese girl, aside from her accent. It's unnatural. Raleigh apparently just isn't intelligent. And the black guy tries so hard to be "bad cop" but his demeanor doesn't fit it. You can tell he cares about everything and everyone. He doesn't just want to win, though that's how he's trying to come off. The best part was the "don't touch me" conversation about 5 seconds of dialogue.

Cinematography most of the fight scenes were so close up you couldn't tell if it was kaiju or jaeger.

Visual aspects Amazing. This was the reason it didn't get a zero. The kaiju and the jaegers were mind blowing creations that really came to life. The insides, the outsides, their movement (though I will touch on that in the next section)

Execution I have a problem with suspension of disbelief. Whereas one person may say "THAT WAS AWESOME!!" I would say "that is impossible because of these reasons" and completely check out of the movie. This is what we had here. The way certain things were done were so fantastical that I couldn't get my mind to wrap around them. The jaegers are too big to move the way they do. And to be lifted like that with helicopters (if six helicopters can't pick up a freight ship, they sure as hell can't pick up a jaeger that uses a freight ship as a baseball bat). And not to crush themselves when they fall. It cheapened them for me.

Also, how is it that the sword becomes the most useful weapon, but isn't used until the end? And why is the plasma cannon not the first line of defense? If my hand became a giant firearm, you can bet that i'd put it in a headlock (which was done several times) and blow it's head clean off of its shoulders. Kaiju dead. This is why I say the story is contrived.
LevelheadJul 21, 2013
7.7...really...please...this nonsense will appeal to the 8 to 14 male crowd because the special effects are first rate but after that the movie falls apart. Bad acting, weak storyline, shallow cliché characters all cobbled together claiming7.7...really...please...this nonsense will appeal to the 8 to 14 male crowd because the special effects are first rate but after that the movie falls apart. Bad acting, weak storyline, shallow cliché characters all cobbled together claiming to be 2 hours of entertainment. Save the gas and ticket and watch "Dinoshark" or any other SYFY channel movies, you will get the same type storyline, acting and characters, but you will have to do without the big screen special effects. Thumbs down on this one... Expand
deckNov 16, 2013
This Movie has a bad story with weak characters, mostly bad actors and a terrible screenplay. I cant really belive del Toro did this. Even "Battleship" was better. If you are over 16 years old, dont waste your time.
Gamer84Jul 20, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First I will say this. Guillermo Del Toro is one of my top 5 movie directors. I own Blade 2, Hellboy 1 and 2, Pans Labyrinth, The orphanage and so on. I was really looking forward to this movie for over a year and was wishing it would deliver but all it did was fail. EPICALLY. The score I gave were for visuals. Whoever says this movie is great they are the reason movies keep getting made. I left the movie theater angry. This has to be the worst movie written and edited of all time. How would anyone release this $200 million dollar cluster fudge.

Writing is the key to success. The plot of the movie is that a crack opens that port's monsters from another dimension to our world. So its one crack. So answer this why didn't they try to nuke the thing from the beginning to see if it fails before creating the jaegars and finding out at the end that nuking it will fail. Then after creating the Jaegars which were like 30 of them. Why not have them on standby near the stupid crack. The reason being its proven that only one appears at a time. They track them as they appear. Correct. Imagine how much repair they will save if all 30 ganked this one Kaiju as he was entering our world. Why the hell would you split up the Jaegars around the world if its only one crack. Even if they decide to send 10 kaijus they will still fail. But now they decide to do this strategy when only 4 Jaegers are left.

Next when driving the Jaegers why is there a spinning blade grinder under these guys? What happens if the accidentally fall in? Wait that actually almost happened. Bad design don't you think. Next we have the guy mind meld with a kaiju brain. Now why would they do this. Oh because once the 2 kaijus defeat the 3 Jaegars in less than a minute of movie time they need a diversion for one of the kaijus to leave. Why didn't both Kaijus leave after the scientist guy? So that Dipsey Stranger can intervene and take them out separately. Then something stupid happens. The Gorilla kaiju that's left over doesn't destroy the last non functioning Jaegar. He just walks around it and punches it in the head. Then these 2 guys get out and blind him with a flare. Seriously.

Now we get to the kaijus defeat. Why is the Kaiju pregnant? Its proven that they are all clones. WHY? Thats easy to fix the plot hole in the scientist guy to mind meld with the baby kaiju who has no recollection of whats going on in the other dimension. WTF. Really? The thing is in an egg and it has memories. Its like saying that if a woman is pregnant and the baby is delivered I can mind meld with it and it can show me where he came from heaven or HELL. "Because this is what this movie is".

Finally the part that I screamed at in the Theater. If you read this you know it was me. What was the purpose of having a stick fight training scene if the damn robots cannot use weapons? I didn't see them us any handheld weapons in which this would benefit them. Oh wait the sword at the end against the flying Kaiju. This is where I screamed, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME". They had this weapon the whole time and never used it. WHY? Oh that's right. If they used it in the beginning the brother wouldn't die and the other brother would not meet the Japanese girl in which they wind up have a interracial love interest. THAT DOESN'T WORK. USE THE SWORD. Then later on create kaijus that are smarter in disabling this technique.

OK forget the sword. how about this. How many times did the jaegers had these kaijus by the neck and never once bothered to crush it with the robotic power? I lost count. As for the flying sucker hell my hands were free. Why not crush its neck with my bare robotic hands.

Then the movie finally ends just like independence day with the stupid alien looking at the Jaeger explodinah this movie.
Brutus54Jul 18, 2013
Not bad, but really, this is designed for 10 year old boys who find Godzilla movies mesmerising. Del Toro is unapologetic here about what he is doing, which is basically giving you as many giant robots slugging it out with giant monsters asNot bad, but really, this is designed for 10 year old boys who find Godzilla movies mesmerising. Del Toro is unapologetic here about what he is doing, which is basically giving you as many giant robots slugging it out with giant monsters as you can conceivably squeeze into a movie. It sounded like a bit of fun beforehand, but in the end, I just found it noisy, too repetitive and a bit unrewarding. Script, characterisation and dialogue are strictly for kiddies, and the 3D was nothing special either. As an Australian, I have to say I laughed a bit at the stereotyping of the Aussie jaegermeisters who were basically portrayed as borderline psychotics with vague homoerotic issues issues that they simply couldn't articulate except through tongue tied rage and interpersonal violence. Though, come to think of it, pretty well all the jaegermeisters fell into that category. I suppose tearing the heads off giant lizards that don't say anything does require a certain psychological predisposition towards random violence. Anyway, just a popcorn movie (largely aimed at the Asian market). I hope Del Toro does well out of it but he is a much, much better director than this movie would indicate to the casual viewer. Expand
hypnofeedAug 2, 2013
The acting was rubbish, the story was lame and the premise was awful. The special effects were good but with an 180 million dollar budget you'd expect that, but you'd also expect a good movie. I was literally bored watching this. The originalThe acting was rubbish, the story was lame and the premise was awful. The special effects were good but with an 180 million dollar budget you'd expect that, but you'd also expect a good movie. I was literally bored watching this. The original score was good but after the 6 note tune was replayed about 100 times the music lost it's impact. Overall, a waste of my £10, and a waste of Hollywoood's $180 million. Also, for "the world to come together" it's surprising how all the robots are designed in America, piloted by Americans and mostly manufactured in America, all with the American flag on the side. Expand
RemJul 20, 2013
Pacific Rim definitely has some big shoes to fill. With Guillermo Del Toro directing, you'd expect a great time, and I did, but I had to sit through bad storytelling, lame and bad humor, and downright awful acting. It's also in the mantra forPacific Rim definitely has some big shoes to fill. With Guillermo Del Toro directing, you'd expect a great time, and I did, but I had to sit through bad storytelling, lame and bad humor, and downright awful acting. It's also in the mantra for one of the cheesiest movies of the year. Expand
psyberdelicNov 14, 2013
one of the dumbest movies i've ever seen... way too much machine on monster fighting and a completely cliched plot... yeah, great graphics but that's not much of a draw when the story is just stupid...
raphael007Jul 19, 2013
I'll start with the good because it will be short: Great special effects. No question about it! You can see the budget on-screen. Got to see it at an IMAX 3D theater and it looked and sounded great. Too bad they didn't spend a dime onI'll start with the good because it will be short: Great special effects. No question about it! You can see the budget on-screen. Got to see it at an IMAX 3D theater and it looked and sounded great. Too bad they didn't spend a dime on screenplay writers or acting coaches! Holy cow is that movie bad and boring! No one cares about any character. And they can't act. Weird because both Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba are rahther good in Sons of Anarchy (FX) and Luther (BBC). But here, they're so bad. As for the leading actress, Rinko Kikuchi, it's a real disaster!!! So bad that I couldn't stop laughing at the end. One of those "so bad it's good" movies. Too bad it cost me over $15. My 9-yr old will love it though! But if you're a grown-up and enjoy good comics movies (Iron Man) or good sci-fi (Prometheus), save yourself the trouble... Expand
Tessara_VejganOct 4, 2013
An sf movie about giant monsters and giant robots fighting it out what could go wrong, well a lot. Story is bad and boring to say the least and some things make no sense (walls don't work against humans and other small vermin let aloneAn sf movie about giant monsters and giant robots fighting it out what could go wrong, well a lot. Story is bad and boring to say the least and some things make no sense (walls don't work against humans and other small vermin let alone against monsters the size of buildings). Robots look bad and so do monsters, anyway the movie was a waste of my time. Expand
Gary64Aug 25, 2013
omg
everything
all horrible
donnelbrJul 18, 2013
Dumb story. ...right we build robots to fight monsters instead of just inventing really good bombs or missiles. If you can get over some of the plot ridiculousness, the action scenes are fun, acting just okay, script pretty juvenile, etc.Dumb story. ...right we build robots to fight monsters instead of just inventing really good bombs or missiles. If you can get over some of the plot ridiculousness, the action scenes are fun, acting just okay, script pretty juvenile, etc. I was mildly entertained, but was expecting a little more. I left feeling like the good reviews from the critics were the result of a little grade inflation due to the number of truly terrible movies currently on the market. Expand
timbocoolJul 28, 2013
Save your money, never see a film that's rated PG-13/ 12A. It's always a pile of Hollywood turd by directors given to much money, by studios that have no idea how decent films are made.
Plot 0
Interest in why Idris Elba still has the red shoe after a decade 8
CGI 7

Overall rating sandwich.
qevAug 17, 2014
i gave it a second chance, having read many reviews, thinking wait a minute qev, did you see the right movie? it was after all a torrented version (from an undisclosed source, not me, that is right out and i deny that!) cos you never knowi gave it a second chance, having read many reviews, thinking wait a minute qev, did you see the right movie? it was after all a torrented version (from an undisclosed source, not me, that is right out and i deny that!) cos you never know etc, and low and behold, no, it was the same rubbish i saw the first time, only THIS time i wanted to shout "Why doesn't somebody fire the BIG WEAPONS at the awful Godzillaesque loping toy mock-ups FIRST THING when they're still out of 'about to destroy you for certain' range? and then i thought, wait a second, it's a comedy! hooray! but then, wait a third, no, no it's not! final verdict? atrocious Expand
fantasyJul 21, 2013
A loud cliched ridiculous movie plagiarizing many other Sci Fi films including War Of The Worlds, Independence Day & Transformers. The actors are simply awful. No character development whatsoever. The CGI is so awful that you can't evenA loud cliched ridiculous movie plagiarizing many other Sci Fi films including War Of The Worlds, Independence Day & Transformers. The actors are simply awful. No character development whatsoever. The CGI is so awful that you can't even tell who is fighting who. It is obvious that phantom critics are shilling for this movie which is a complete turkey as they have no other reviews. I saw this sorry excuse for a film opening night in front of a half empty theater. Avoid at all costs. Despite the heavy PR marketing my gut tells me this will be a bomb at the box office. Expand
Geiser2010Jul 21, 2013
By far the worst movie of the decade. This movie is filled with crap and horrible special effects. The two douche bags from Sons of Anarchy are in it so that in itself should tell you that this movie isn't worth watching. I wouldn't watchBy far the worst movie of the decade. This movie is filled with crap and horrible special effects. The two douche bags from Sons of Anarchy are in it so that in itself should tell you that this movie isn't worth watching. I wouldn't watch this movie again if you paid me. I wouldn't waste my server speed streaming this movie. Seriously...save your money and time. Expand
grizzlebizzleJul 18, 2013
If I were a child, this movie would be great. Just like Hellboy 2. But I'm an adult, so it was stupid. I don't feel like writing a full review, but the plotlines and characters' development were terrible.
MRbossFTWJul 31, 2013
Like any other sci fi action movie this has a simple plot but way too much action and not much storyline. Some of the acting is exceptionally bad. However it is an interesting concept
WurtPhilosophyMay 22, 2014
This movie was utter **** with laughable acting, poor writing, and tropes galore that don't even give the viewer any sense of charm. Everything in this movie was poorly executed, and everybody knows it. The only reason the user score is up isThis movie was utter **** with laughable acting, poor writing, and tropes galore that don't even give the viewer any sense of charm. Everything in this movie was poorly executed, and everybody knows it. The only reason the user score is up is due to it being a monster movie. If you want to see a good giant monster film, go see the 2014 western adaptation of Godzilla. Expand
DeviantDragonJul 28, 2013
When a sci-fi "blockbuster" nearly puts you to sleep, that's a bad sign. The only thing keeping me awake during this fiasco of a film was the occasional explosion sound effect and the echoes I could hear coming from the gigantic plot holes.When a sci-fi "blockbuster" nearly puts you to sleep, that's a bad sign. The only thing keeping me awake during this fiasco of a film was the occasional explosion sound effect and the echoes I could hear coming from the gigantic plot holes. My ticket was free, and I felt like I overpaid for the experience. Seeing the average rating by critics and viewers alike... I question whether we are evolving as a species or regressing into slack-jawed "Oh shiny!" viewers. Expand
WanderleiOct 3, 2013
They managed to make giant robots fighting monsters boring. A few snippets at the start then an hour and half of moronic storylines. Then extremely disappointing monster fights, a few punches and its over. I was expecting epic sprawlingThey managed to make giant robots fighting monsters boring. A few snippets at the start then an hour and half of moronic storylines. Then extremely disappointing monster fights, a few punches and its over. I was expecting epic sprawling battles. Waste of time. Expand
oringetoeJul 15, 2013
At about an hour in, when the robot and monster get it on, in the fighting sense, i think i saw someone in the street below them walking into a cinema, probably to see something better.. This is a patchwork quilt of a film containingAt about an hour in, when the robot and monster get it on, in the fighting sense, i think i saw someone in the street below them walking into a cinema, probably to see something better.. This is a patchwork quilt of a film containing material from hundreds of crap stained sheets. If audiences love this then we should all be praying for our ultimate demise at the hands of the enormous dumb animal, the USA as it's more commonly known. Expand
goobyplzNov 11, 2013
Really terrible movie. The plot was extremely bad, the acting was also lacking. They for some reason chose to focus the movie around the poorly made characters which made the movie really dull. The only thing that kept this movie togetherReally terrible movie. The plot was extremely bad, the acting was also lacking. They for some reason chose to focus the movie around the poorly made characters which made the movie really dull. The only thing that kept this movie together were the amazingly well done graphical animations. Expand
j1mmy64Nov 11, 2013
The only positive thing about this film was the visual effects which were great.

The plot is easily the most ridiculous thing about this film. I'm sure whoever drummed up the giant mech vs monster thing has watched too many Saturday morning cartoons. A lot of things in this film didn't make sense to a rational mind, it's like the screen play was designed for 10 years old's.
The dialogue was basic, none of the characters were interesting and had very little development. The casting was poor and the acting even worse.

This film was big, dumb and rudimentary. Unless you're prepared to turn off your brain for two hours and suffer complete nonsense, then this isn't the film for you.
DeakenBlackNov 13, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beside some funny stuff by Charlie Day and Ron Pearlman, this movie stinks. I love cheesy fun action movies, but this was boring, long and dumb. The action was slow, as I prefer fast action with my robots, like Transformers. The effects where decent, but hidden by the dark and rain. The characters were very poorly portrayed as well. Expand
displeasedAug 1, 2014
Is there any humility left in mankind? I liked it at the start, and it's a technically well-made movie, but as it went on, it became apparent that the whole entire point of it is human worship. Shameless, blind human worship. The idea that,Is there any humility left in mankind? I liked it at the start, and it's a technically well-made movie, but as it went on, it became apparent that the whole entire point of it is human worship. Shameless, blind human worship. The idea that, no matter what, we're never going to admit any vulnerability or ask for any help. That we're tough enough to just take on anything, even skyscraper-sized monsters from another dimension. If something this ridiculous happened in real life, we would just set up a wall of those plasma cannons, or utilize whatever those one-hit-kill swords are made of, or do something that's halfway clever, not build giant robots like we have the minds of neanderthals. The whole point of the robots is to put man up on a pedestal, and give him all the glory

The characters are paper thin, cold, and care only for themselves. They know nothing of true friendship, substituting it with intrusive mind-melding that robs a person of their freedom to choose to open up and let someone in, and obliterates all notions of the sacredness of privacy and individuality. It's a very cold, technical, computer-like intimacy. This movie really gets to the heart of what it means to be a nerd. It doesn't understand human interaction, and instead of admitting it and trying to learn, it builds giant robots to fight mindlessly for its misguided ideas. And if better arguments come up against them, they'll just make a movie with even bigger robots next time as their rebuttal.
RetroshowcaseJul 4, 2014
Why should someone spend approx 2 hours and watch a movie that looks exactly like a great video game, instead of playing THE video game itself (and thus, have more fun with it)? Today, most movies are using too much CGI and sometimes theWhy should someone spend approx 2 hours and watch a movie that looks exactly like a great video game, instead of playing THE video game itself (and thus, have more fun with it)? Today, most movies are using too much CGI and sometimes the producers overdo it, almost causing nausea to the viewer. Of course Pacific Rim has great visual FX. And that's it. No acting and no story at all. Just another "shoot the aliens" movie with 70% computer graphics, 25% sound FX and 5% acting. Expand
BigZOct 6, 2014
Tough to like. Seems more intended for children than well...anyone else. It's cool to watch super huge massive monsters fight super huge massive robots, because that's original. That pretty much is the extent of the plot. How innovative. WeTough to like. Seems more intended for children than well...anyone else. It's cool to watch super huge massive monsters fight super huge massive robots, because that's original. That pretty much is the extent of the plot. How innovative. We should all like this movie...because it is entirely practical when being attacked by huge monsters, to throw all our efforts into making robots to fight them, because apparently as the human race, we decided that is the best thing to do. And we won't use our really effective weapons unless we are on the verge of death. None of our guys are even really all that good at fighting these things either. Oh look, the guy who played Hell-boy. Come on! Seriously? How just plain dumb does this have to get? The CGI was well done, but that is all...they tried with a lesser known cast that wasn't a total failure as far as acting and delivery but doesn't help the lack of structure. Fight scenes were still better than Godzilla's. But still, Never Again. Expand
DanBurritoOct 25, 2016
NOTE: All my reviews right now are being published as 0/10 for some reason. I actually gave this movie a three, so ignore the current rating. I went into this movie expecting nothing but big dumb fun. What I got was big and dumb, but sadlyNOTE: All my reviews right now are being published as 0/10 for some reason. I actually gave this movie a three, so ignore the current rating. I went into this movie expecting nothing but big dumb fun. What I got was big and dumb, but sadly lacking in "fun". Too much of the film is centred on one-dimensional human characters just talking while we impatiently wait for the action to start again. I know we should care about the characters and everything, but even with all this time spent with them, I couldn't care less about whether they lived or died. The main character is so bland that I can't even remember his name (or really anything he does) and his love interest is just as bland (though at least they tried to give her a backstory). Idris Elba's character was the only one who had any personality. Even the Robot-Monster fights occupy about 15 minutes of the running time and are mostly done in darkness. This is disapointing, since Guillermo Del Toro is such a great director, and this film should have been so much better. Instead, it begs unfortunate comparisons to Michael Bay's "Transformers" series. If you're fine with there being more uncompelling human "drama" (if it can even be called that) than the action they promised us, then good for you. Otherwise, I can't recommend this. 3/10. Expand