7.5

1. Jul 14, 2013
    It looks nice. That's about it. There's little character and no plot so none of the action sequences make one feel as if something is at stake, so the sequences themselves become dull, negating their purpose: excitement. Thanks to this, I fell asleep twice. I know that I didn't miss anything, however, because crap didn't happen. I guess my naps helped inadvertently redeem the film of itsIt looks nice. That's about it. There's little character and no plot so none of the action sequences make one feel as if something is at stake, so the sequences themselves become dull, negating their purpose: excitement. Thanks to this, I fell asleep twice. I know that I didn't miss anything, however, because crap didn't happen. I guess my naps helped inadvertently redeem the film of its excessive running time; being unconscious was more exciting. 4.4/10, bad, two thumbs down, below average, etc. Expand
  2. Jul 12, 2013
    This is a boring movie, the only scenes that I found pleasant were the fighting ones that eventually get boring after a few minutes. It's full of scientific mistakes that make the movie ridiculously distorted and absurd, its story is poorly developed and made just to glue together the fight scenes with modern cinema clichés: I could foretell almost every single dialogue and I found itThis is a boring movie, the only scenes that I found pleasant were the fighting ones that eventually get boring after a few minutes. It's full of scientific mistakes that make the movie ridiculously distorted and absurd, its story is poorly developed and made just to glue together the fight scenes with modern cinema clichés: I could foretell almost every single dialogue and I found it pretty annoying. I need my 9.5€ and 2 hours of my time back. Please don't watch it unless you're a lobotomized 12 years old boy in an adult's body. Expand
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    When Pacific Rim focuses on its generic characters and story it’s a mediocre film. However, what saves this movie and makes it worth watching are the visuals. The presentation in this movie is fantastic and has some fun action that never gets too excessive and leaves you wanting more. Had the film’s action not been as good as it was this film would’ve been a 5/10 but because the visualsWhen Pacific Rim focuses on its generic characters and story it’s a mediocre film. However, what saves this movie and makes it worth watching are the visuals. The presentation in this movie is fantastic and has some fun action that never gets too excessive and leaves you wanting more. Had the film’s action not been as good as it was this film would’ve been a 5/10 but because the visuals were as cool as they were it’s a 6/10. I’m usually not big on dumb action movies but this is one blockbuster where I was bored when there was no action as opposed to the other way around. At the end of the day though this film is only memorable for its visuals. You won’t remember any of the characters or plot elements as they are all bland and generic but you will remember the cool visuals and fight scenes. If you are cool with a generic action film with cool visuals then definitely check this film out. Expand
  4. Feb 22, 2014
    I love Japanese mecha anime from Macross to Orguss to Evangelion and back and I never thought I'd ever be bored senseless by a film which purports to be a love letter to giant mecha and Kaiju cinema. Everything is just so bloody dull; framing and cinematography, ESPECIALLY the Jaeger designs. The clichés though! I should have brought a checklist with me, Pacific Rim had so much cheese I'mI love Japanese mecha anime from Macross to Orguss to Evangelion and back and I never thought I'd ever be bored senseless by a film which purports to be a love letter to giant mecha and Kaiju cinema. Everything is just so bloody dull; framing and cinematography, ESPECIALLY the Jaeger designs. The clichés though! I should have brought a checklist with me, Pacific Rim had so much cheese I'm practically lactose intolerant. Expand
  5. Aug 1, 2013
    First off, great concept: giant machines fighting aliens. Then the movie started, this overly dramatic and long, nagging story-telling that is typical for American Hollywood movies was something that I certainly didn't expect from Guillermo del Toro. Even the jokes in-battle were abundant and broke the tension that actually made me want to see more of this film. The acting is stiffer thanFirst off, great concept: giant machines fighting aliens. Then the movie started, this overly dramatic and long, nagging story-telling that is typical for American Hollywood movies was something that I certainly didn't expect from Guillermo del Toro. Even the jokes in-battle were abundant and broke the tension that actually made me want to see more of this film. The acting is stiffer than Expandables and in the end I thought Guillermo was pulling a leg at everyone, pointing out how cliche and staged action movies are these days. When I walked out the cinema I wondered whether I watched WWE or just the South Park episode... Expand
  6. Dec 8, 2013
    Outstanding visuals. Really impressive. However I need something else. I know fans of these type of movies-juvenile stories will love it. But really, there´s nothing else apart from the stunning visual effects. People say this is the way Transformers should have been done. And I know the director is great. Whatever. I´ve not seen those ones. I need a story and character development forOutstanding visuals. Really impressive. However I need something else. I know fans of these type of movies-juvenile stories will love it. But really, there´s nothing else apart from the stunning visual effects. People say this is the way Transformers should have been done. And I know the director is great. Whatever. I´ve not seen those ones. I need a story and character development for crying out loud! I was really bored, I almost fell asleep (of course I was watching it at night but I always do) and it never happens to me. A 5 out of 10 for the visuals. If not it would obviously be a 0. But it is what it is and it has its public. Expand
  7. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After hearing lots of good things about Pacific Rim from Rotten Tomatoes, IMDB, and more, I was expecting to walk out of the theater ready to text my friends recommending they see it. I have to say that I did the very opposite. Not only was I disappointed with the film, it had many scenes leaving me unsure of what just happened.

After 18 minutes of the film catching us up to present day, we finally learn the film’s title, Pacific Rim, just in case someone in the theater wasn't sure. Massive creatures known as Kaiju have managed to make their way to earth and are wiping out entire cities at a time. The only thing able to kill them is a Jaeger which uses the same concept as the movie Real Steel, (fighter robots controlled by humans) only they are much bigger and take nine helicopters to carry.

The Kaiju are much more advanced than first considered, and are arriving on earth in stages. The higher the stage, the more advanced and powerful the creature is. The highest stage reached in Pacific Rim is a stage five. Along with the Kaiju being just flat out creepy, we learn that they also shoot their eerie blue blood out of their mouths causing whatever it hits to fall apart and basically disintegrate.

As they continue to get smarter and stronger, they are wrecking the Jaegers; it is up to Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnan) and Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi) to stop them. As they are about to go into battle, Dr. Newton Geiszler (Charlie Day) introduces a plan that could save the rest of the world, and kill off all of the Kaiju, permanently.

Pacific Rim officially proved that long is not always better, as the 131 minute film had more back-story and irrelevant content, than meaningful scenes. I felt that the film was rushed, and just as I began to understand one scene, they would cut to another. After watching the film, I realized that it was really more about the CGI (Computer-Generated Imagery) editors, then the actors. Without them, Pacific Rim would've been nothing. Director Guillermo del Toro, had a great idea for a movie, but could have made Pacific Rim overall much better.
  8. Jul 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. I wish i could be writing a positive review. I really do. Unfortunately i just cant. But at the same time, i can't write a negative review. The movie was by no means good or bad. It had potential but i think it was poorly executed. The concept was gold. But the film was plagued by bad acting and poor character development along with numerous other flaws.

I will start with characters. First of all, i hardly knew the names for any of them. names were hardly ever mentioned and if they were it was in a robot while screaming with tons of background noise. Characters such as the Asian basketball team or the Russian duo were given little to no development that i felt could have really helped the movie. Now for the main character (whose name i do not even know). He was casted poorly. The main character in a movie like this should be a bad ass who is loveable and relateable. He was not. He was not a very good actor who to me did not even fit the role. His Asian partner, Mako i believe her name was, was awful. Her part was terrible to me. She was the worst actor, her script was terrible, and i think her part brought down the movie completely. My favorite characters were the British man and his son. They had a good amount of screen time, multiple fights, and were the best actors by far. Overall i felt that Pacific Rim would have succeeded so much more for me if it had better actors and a better script.

Now for the visuals and the fights. The movie was not all bad. After the first hour or so of bad plot and letdowns i was treated to a visual and audible show. The fight for Tokyo/ Tokyo Bay was great. The giant robots were all designed very well, had good visuals, moved realistically, and were entertaining. The monsters were also visually pleasing and some of them were downright scary, and they should have been. However, a problem i had with the fights was the rain. Most if not all of the fight were doused in rain, which made it difficult for me to fully appreciated the fighting. Regardless, the fights themselves were still the best part of the movie. I think that the team spent so much time and focused too much on the fights that it hurt if not ruined the rest of the movie.

Now i will point out my biggest problems with Pacific Rim. The first hour sucked. The main characters motivation was not strong enough and he acted poorly. I understand the point of the stick fight to find a good partner, but it was unnecessary and poorly choreographed. In the beginning of the movie, i was given a summery of how the world came to its situation. How San Francisco was destroyed along with other cities and how the world united to fight back. Instead of the hour of garbage development, why not devote that hour to actually showing those fights instead of telling me for 3 minutes or so? If you are going to capitalize on the fights, REALLY capitalize the fights and give me more. Maybe there might have been a problem with length but if they took out the things they did poorly for more fights, a movie like this would not suffer. Now for my number one flaw. This might not seem like a big deal to many but it made me so angry that i was shaking my head. The sword. I get that the fights cannot be too short. I get the punches look cool and make an interesting visual. But when the sword was treated as a last resort i just lost it. The sword should have been a standard thing. If i have a sword and i am fighting someone or something, i am going to use it. I would not be punching and not use it. Now maybe instead of using it all the time they could have given a reason why it had to be limited. Maybe it puts too much stress on the arm or uses up too much power. Anything. Near the end, underwater, the sword was all they had and it was bad ass. I can not get over how mad that sword made me. The use of the reactor as a secret weapon to burn the monster was creative and it was a twist. A sword should not have been used as a twist. Maybe they could have had it ripped of and be forced to punch. I am sorry it was so aggravating. At the end of the movie, both Mako and the main character made it out alive. I was lead to believe it was a suicide mission, and it should have been. I was fine with Mako making it out. But i would not have had the main character make it out too. A more fitting ending would have been him alone, sinking down, thinking to himself that he avenged his brother and saved the world and sacrificed himself for humanity. But for whatever reason they chose to go the opposite way and give me no sense of an ending.

Had i directed Pacific Rim, i could not sit back and watch it and say to myself "This is ready for the public. This is a good thing." It suffered from poor directing, casting, acting, and plot. However, the true redeeming qualities were the fights, which were not perfect. I can not say to not go see the movie. If you are into monster fights and that is all you want, then by all means go. If not, don't. 5/10
  9. Jul 22, 2013
    I find this movie quite stupid. Scenes and effects were great but the plot is unclear and i didnt even feel there was a climax. Poor logic also. Poor fighting strategies. I enjoy sci fi movies like transformers but this movie just lacked what it takes to keep intelligent viewers hooked. Im not impressed at all. I could have tons of suggestions if only i could talk to thr director.
  10. Sep 21, 2013
    Perfect visuals and eye catching fights save the horrible plot from making this movie a disaster.
    But they aren't enough to grant it a good score from me.
  11. Jul 18, 2013
    This film is a spectacle, no doubt about it. The battles are full of outrageous and entertaining action which anyone who is a fan of monster movies will enjoy. Unfortunately the film is slowed to a crawl by the un-ironically cliched and poorly acted attempt to inject plot and heart into what could gave been a simple and entertaining special effects extravaganza.

I personally found it

I personally found it hard to care about many of the characters in the film simply because, for the most part, their personal stories are nothing more than a transparent gap-filler between action sequences (of which there ate only 3 worth mentioning, although I won't for the sake of spoiler avoidance).
    All in all this film is almost saved by it's gloriously over the top action, but sadly there just isn'nt enough of it to balance out the dire plot.
  12. Jul 13, 2013
    Just got done seeing this movie, and... I'm kinda disappointed. Visually, it's great--but a movie shouldn't be all spectacle, at least to an audience past a certain age group. You have all of these great hints of a mythology and character development that aren't fleshed out AT ALL. It instead goes for hokey, cliché material that makes your eyes roll. The humor is cringe-worthy, and theJust got done seeing this movie, and... I'm kinda disappointed. Visually, it's great--but a movie shouldn't be all spectacle, at least to an audience past a certain age group. You have all of these great hints of a mythology and character development that aren't fleshed out AT ALL. It instead goes for hokey, cliché material that makes your eyes roll. The humor is cringe-worthy, and the "rousing" speeches (and dialogue in general) kinda fall flat. I caught myself wishing things would move forward in-between fight sequences. Ron Perlman and Ellen McLain (voice of GLaDOS) were awesome-those are a few pluses. It's a decent movie, but don't get super-hyped--you'll leave disappointed. Expand
  13. Jul 13, 2013
    The detail put into the visuals and sounds for the fights certainly looked pretty amazing. Though the storyline wasn't really solid, it was enough to keep me interested.
  14. Jul 14, 2013
    I've been a fan of Gundam I through Z, Dunbine, Votoms, Megazone 23, Macross, Space Runaway Ideon, Iczer One, L. Gaim, Orguss, etc. all my life. That said... Pacific Rim is for kids.

The effects, as usual anymore, were great but the dialogue, stereotypes, accents, acting pretty much everything else was corny. I loved the guy running the Jaeger program; he's the same guy who

I loved the guy running the Jaeger program; he's the same guy who played the ship's captain in Prometheus. Why the director decided he needed an Aussie accent is so far beyond me I fall off my chair when considering it.

Rinko Kikuchi is... a bad actress. Sorry. I know she's Japanese, I know she's cute, but bad is bad. Period.

ITM (in this movie) we plug me into a hive mind and find out that all my memories are G-rated. Really? The protagonist's memories are all of Norman Rockwell paintings, mom in the kitchen making oatmeal and dad on his recliner reading a newspaper? Rinko gets one memory (and can't even manage that!) the day a beastie chased her into an alley. Apparently no one in this movie has ever had sex or fantasized about killing his/her boss.

The Jaeger designs are kind of childish. And by "kind of" I mean "utterly". The tandem pilot configuration isn't original the first time I saw that was in Iczer in like 1984 or something and it was done better.

When I left this movie I did so angry that no one had spent that kind of time and money on a [proper] live action Gundam movie.

Also, this movie was MAD LONG.

Still, it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe.
  15. Jul 12, 2013
    Entretenida e innovadora, renueva el cine de robots luego de las aburridísimas entregas de Transformers, sin embargo, aunque tiene la estampa de Guillermo del Toro, al final se siente haber visto una película hecha por encargo, queda muy lejos de la fantástica Laberinto del Fauno.
    Actuaciones acartonadas y un ritmo lento, evitan que la película tenga una mejor calificación, en cuanto al final, adolece que falta de creatividad (Independence Day, Avengers, The Dark Knight), espermos que Del Toro pueda conseguir los $150mdd que necesita para Hell Boy 3

Comentarios @_Ininteligible, gracias.
  16. Jul 13, 2013
    When walking into this film, I wasn't JUST expecting pure, exhilarating action, I expected a thorough human story and at least some acceptable dialogue. Beside from a few characters, the human story is weak and though the jaegers are totally awesome, along with the effects, it's still in my mind a dumb, fun summer blockbuster.
  17. Jul 15, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a very tough movie to review. The plot is quite simple, monsters rise out of a pit in the Pacific Ocean, and we build giant robots called Jeagers that two pilots control in order to defeat them. Now where the difficulty comes from in reviewing this film is that, truth be told, it's not very good. The Action is why you'll see this movie anyways, as nobody would see this moviePacific Rim is a very tough movie to review. The plot is quite simple, monsters rise out of a pit in the Pacific Ocean, and we build giant robots called Jeagers that two pilots control in order to defeat them. Now where the difficulty comes from in reviewing this film is that, truth be told, it's not very good. The Action is why you'll see this movie anyways, as nobody would see this movie for Plot or Brilliant Acting, but for Monsters vs Robots. Although, that doesn't excuse the fact that everything other than the Action is just stupid. The story isn't engaging, you never care about the characters, the writing is laughably awful, and the 2nd Act is more or less, quite boring. As a film, it's not great, but it has the makings of a cult classic, and certainly has breathtaking action, but that's not enough to save a film that's otherwise consumed in mediocrity. Expand
  18. Jul 12, 2013
    Devoid of emotional essence, unpredictable plot elements, quality performances and stand-out characters, Pacific Rim is saved by its stunning, visually spectacular colossal fight scenes, its fast, thrilling pace and well-constructed mythology.
  19. Jul 16, 2013
    It's a wonderful world filled with amazing possibilities that you're rushed quickly through, this story should have been stretched over 2-3 movies or at least left room for a sequel.
    The movie introduces characters and tries to drag out a plot but never really succeeds in doing it, the geigers are never fully explored and there are a few of them.
    I honestly had hoped for so much more,

I honestly had hoped for so much more, I feel like this world was made and someone sent me a postcard before closing it forever.
  20. Jul 16, 2013
    Visually stunning and well acted, Pacific Rim succeeds in being an entertaining Summer blockbuster, despite the uneven pacing and cliche script. It certainly isn't up to par with some of del Toro's other work, but it certainly is a lot of fun!
  21. Aug 27, 2013
    Making a film because of the B movies of yesteryear doesn't sound like a solid reason for making a film and maybe that's why Pacific Rim lacks depth and flair, because its too busy trying to remind you of what came before. When a portal opens under the Pacific Ocean and monsters begin flooding through it, humanity creates giant mechs to fight them but when this tactic begins to fail,Making a film because of the B movies of yesteryear doesn't sound like a solid reason for making a film and maybe that's why Pacific Rim lacks depth and flair, because its too busy trying to remind you of what came before. When a portal opens under the Pacific Ocean and monsters begin flooding through it, humanity creates giant mechs to fight them but when this tactic begins to fail, humanity devise one last ditch effort to destroy the portal for good. Pacific Rim knows what it is and it does play to its strengths but those strengths are only really one strength, its visuals and the near perfect CGI incorporated into the movie. Don't get me wrong, the 3D is redundant and really makes watching the film difficult but in 2D Pacific Rim is terrific to look at with Director Guillermo Del Toro really understanding how to frame his action as to show the scale and wonder these mechs (refereed to as Jaegers) and monsters (Kaijus) evoke. It;s the best aspect of the movie which means the action light 2nd act is thoroughly monotonous and often times meaningless. The plot is generic which is surprising considering the films interesting premise. The writing is equally predictable with emotional scenes failing to leave a mark because they feel reused. It's a well acted film and Idris Elba continues to prove he is a gifted actor who can display many emotions at once but he is stuck with scowl inducing dialogue that is hard to swallow. Charlie Hunam is an interesting choice for the hero and while his sullen yet worldly performance as Raleigh is good it isn't great and his casting feels safe when Pacific Rim is an out there premise and film. Ultimately the film needs to take more risks in its endeavour to surprise viewers and it feels like Del Toro took a step back and played it a little too safe. Expand
  22. Jul 19, 2013
    Beyond the amazing special effects and epic giant robot vs. giant monster battles, which there is a good amount of, there isn't much else to say about this film. So-so acting and a predictable and questionable at times plot, which isn't really a bad thing, except it's made worse by rather dull characters and some forced dialogues and conflicts. I saw this in IMAX and didn't regret itBeyond the amazing special effects and epic giant robot vs. giant monster battles, which there is a good amount of, there isn't much else to say about this film. So-so acting and a predictable and questionable at times plot, which isn't really a bad thing, except it's made worse by rather dull characters and some forced dialogues and conflicts. I saw this in IMAX and didn't regret it because it was awesome to see the epic fight scenes, but not much else impressed me about the film. Expand
  23. Jan 10, 2014
    As an action and visual effects blockbuster this is aces with monsters and technology galore clashing and fighting to the death in order to save or destroy. Where it falls down, predictably, is with the human element. Nearly all scenes involving real actors (and I say it some what tongue in cheek) are badly acted with the performers required to say unspeakable dialogue. In fact the scriptAs an action and visual effects blockbuster this is aces with monsters and technology galore clashing and fighting to the death in order to save or destroy. Where it falls down, predictably, is with the human element. Nearly all scenes involving real actors (and I say it some what tongue in cheek) are badly acted with the performers required to say unspeakable dialogue. In fact the script is so awful that it raises many an unintentional laugh. There is also way too much unnecessary exposition. The sound, however, is amazingly good. Expand
  24. Aug 19, 2013
    O filme não ruim, mas está longe de ser um filme que eu indicaria com fervor... Me pareceu que alguém que era fã de Godzilla, quis fazer seu próprio filme e não havia recursos tecnológicos na época e agora em 2013 o filme seria capaz de ser produzido, mas o roteiro, a historia parecem perdidas no tempo, com inúmeros clichês e coisas que não funcionam mais nas telas, fiquei decepcionado,O filme não ruim, mas está longe de ser um filme que eu indicaria com fervor... Me pareceu que alguém que era fã de Godzilla, quis fazer seu próprio filme e não havia recursos tecnológicos na época e agora em 2013 o filme seria capaz de ser produzido, mas o roteiro, a historia parecem perdidas no tempo, com inúmeros clichês e coisas que não funcionam mais nas telas, fiquei decepcionado, pois os 10 primeiros minutos do filme mostraram que seria algo bem atual e condizente com as produções atuais... no fim, pra mim não merece uma nota maior que 4! Expand
  25. Jul 15, 2013
    I didn't really expect much so when very little was delivered I wasn't disappointed. The special effects were the only really plus for the movie. Del Toro's monsters and robots were amazing to look at, but the script was horrible. The plot was full of so many holes it just left me thinking damn....really?
  26. Oct 15, 2013
    The movie was okay, but had so many flaws I had problems looking passed, and I'm sure you will too.
    First off, the characters were as cliche as cliche gets, the main protagonist is the "dude with the 'tude", holding the belt above his crotch and acting like it's a highs chool drama rather than acting like a professional soldier with years of combat experience under his belt. The main female lead is a scientist, expert martial artist, and scored top of her class in the piloting of the mechs, yet can barely handle talking to the male lead without looking like the only thing going through her head is his body.

The combat could have been so much better, but the pilots seem to refuse to use any of their weapons until the last possible second, often resulting is cataclysmic failure, in lieu of punching the Kaiju in the mouth. When they DO use their weapons, they're granted victory almost immediately, as the Kaiju can handle a punch, but not being cut in half or incinerated with plasma.

I'd say the movie isn't really worth the investment of time.
  27. Dec 23, 2013
    Cool concept, ok acting, nonexistent oomph. It's a fun flick, but it couldn't quite get me to cheer for the characters and delve into the world of the Jagers and Kaiju. It sort of felt like someone walked up to you randomly, introduced themselves, and then walked away; flattered they came to say hi, but a bit confused with the sudden departure. As integrated as they make the kaijuCool concept, ok acting, nonexistent oomph. It's a fun flick, but it couldn't quite get me to cheer for the characters and delve into the world of the Jagers and Kaiju. It sort of felt like someone walked up to you randomly, introduced themselves, and then walked away; flattered they came to say hi, but a bit confused with the sudden departure. As integrated as they make the kaiju appearances sound to daily life, it gives very little insight into what that's like, not quite getting the audience to immerse themselves into the word. If anything, it's an inspiring concept with nice visuals for a very tiny peek into the universe of Pacific Rim. Expand
  28. MSY
    Feb 12, 2014
    Terrible writing and cardboard acting plagues this otherwise entertaining movie. The special effects are great but that's about it. Expected more from Del Toro, a very average movie from an otherwise talented director.
  29. Jun 15, 2014
    Pacific Rim is wooden, shallow and as artificial as a piece of plastic. But hey, it's a movie about giant robots fighting kaiju, so what do you expect. A few more non-digital effects would have nice. Still, Pacific Rim does what it says on the box with more style than the dire Transformers franchise.
  30. Jul 22, 2013
    The most awaited film ever from the audience like me: grow up with robots and anime in my childhood.
    And probably this is the main reason of its fail.
    This film try to concentrate a lot of reference without moisturising well any of that. Plus a lot of incongruence (high tech robots controlled by switch? Neural connection to the robot but it's move with a sort of lever? What's the
    And probably this is the main reason of its fail.

Plus a lot of incongruence (high tech robots controlled by switch? Neural connection to the robot but it's move with a sort of lever? What's the meaning of the neural connection so? The best robots result to be the one done in full IRON instead of the more modern titanium and so on?)

But the very unforgettable in this film are the actors and the characters.
    Characters are just archetype. But hey, even Star Wars had archetype. But the difference is how that characters are convincing. All of them is just so shallow that the viewer just do not feel any attachment to them. The main character is just vapid, the boss, and old pilot is totally unconvincing even when he's performing his speech before the final battle. One of the most vapid speech i've ever hear in a film.

To come to an end: This film can be a great angular stone in Cinema's story, probably like Star Wars was years before. But Del Toro just wasted it doing a mediocre film with good feeling, happy ending and very boring cliché.

Very sad.
  31. Jul 28, 2013
    Guillermo del Toro really let me down on this one. Besides the very imaginative monsters this is nothing but a Transformers movie with a slightly higher age group target. Nothing was done with the mind "handshake" possibilities, which really surprises me.
  32. Aug 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is ok to watch. Most fun are the fight scenes and the very good special effects. Liked the setting and rainy mood. Lame was that almost anything was predictable, and the music was constantly playing in a dramatic style. There was no acoustic climax, it is constantly bombarding your ear. The characters were very stereotypic.

Also there are some logical issues that bothered me: Why is the Jaeger using it's blades in the last moment, why not all the time? I thought you can't travel through the Portal if you are not alien, but why can the escape pot travel back? Why are the other crews not using their escape pots if they obvisiouly have one?

All in all an ok movie for a cheesy afternoon / evening.
  33. Nov 12, 2013
    It's a shallow, yet exciting, experience. Obnoxious characters, abysmal story, yet it's so fun you stop caring once the action scenes roll around. Colorful and hokey, it's reminiscent of the super hero cartoons we grew up watching and loving. If you like intense action and overwhelming visuals, you might like this film.
  34. Dec 7, 2013
    If you like GDT movies you'll love Pacific Rim. A visual spectacle with some interesting concepts mixed in. But if you don't typically like GDT movies because of questionable logical beats and character motivations, dumb plot holes, and stories that just fall flat after an initial flurry then you'll find more of the same here. I largely enjoyed the first act but I just wanted it to endIf you like GDT movies you'll love Pacific Rim. A visual spectacle with some interesting concepts mixed in. But if you don't typically like GDT movies because of questionable logical beats and character motivations, dumb plot holes, and stories that just fall flat after an initial flurry then you'll find more of the same here. I largely enjoyed the first act but I just wanted it to end when the story got "moving." Granted I'm no longer a 13 year old boy. If I was I would have watched it 10 times already. Still, that's no excuse for poor storytelling. Expand
  35. Aug 7, 2013
    Del Toro’s latest tentpole, watched in 3D format on IMAX screen, a substantial SFX Jarger Vs. Kaiju monolith which makes TRANSFORMER franchise pale in comparison. But the feeble storyline and unimaginative character-building drags the film into a scrape of torpor. especially after the seasonal actioners’ drumfire (after WHITE HOUSE DOWN 2013, 6/10 and FAST AND FURIOUS 6 2013. 6/10),Del Toro’s latest tentpole, watched in 3D format on IMAX screen, a substantial SFX Jarger Vs. Kaiju monolith which makes TRANSFORMER franchise pale in comparison. But the feeble storyline and unimaginative character-building drags the film into a scrape of torpor. especially after the seasonal actioners’ drumfire (after WHITE HOUSE DOWN 2013, 6/10 and FAST AND FURIOUS 6 2013. 6/10), PACIFIC RIM is the most costly one, and its red-hot accomplishment in the Chinese box office suggests a belated chance to break even its tepid reception in the North American domain, with its Japan opening this coming weekend, an approximate $400,000,000 worldwide turnover may green-light a sequel for its ardent followers.

The 3D effect surely doesn’t improve at all thanks to the murky palette of the raining night combat and underwater location, under the 3D monopoly (even more absurd there are 4D version available in theaters) at least in China, we have no access to the plain 2D type, which rumor says its rendition is much better in an IMAX screen. Dedicated to Japanese Tokusatsu films, Del Toro and his crew’s reconstruction and invention of genre is groundbreaking, an eye-opener with excellent technical scrupulousness, the bombarding sound effects are overwhelming as well as its awe-inspiring and heroic battle scenes.

There are some hiccups keep bugging me, an obvious one is that why on earth there is no conventional weaponry assistance engaging in the doomsday battle, not even as the cannon fodder; another one is the last moment sword stunt, saving the best for the last may not work here, it is only for practicability, but an ill-considered one. Hunnam doesn’t possess enough charisma to carry on the film on his shoulder and his platonic relation with Kikuchi hasn’t been dug deep enough to steal the limelight. Other actors are standard equipments, Elba is the commander whose background story desperately needs a prequel. Day is the comic relief and Perlman is the egomaniac laughing-stock.

Del Toro’s Hollywood odyssey has been rougher than one had presumed, PACIFIC RIM is a qualified film in the sense of it is an updated product for the genre criterion (let’s wait and see how GODZILLA will handle the challenge next year), but it doesn’t live up to Del Toro’s talent if one familiars with his earlier films, notably his homespun masterpiece PAN’S LABYRINTH (2006, 9/10), where mythology and reality have been miraculously criss-crossed and not only our eyes are being opened, our hearts are also being filled with passion and vibration.
  36. Oct 13, 2013
    Gonna start off with the negatives Painfully generic and predictable story that you can call from a mile away. The acting is so-so and it does suffer from a few poor casting choices (Charlie Day anyone?).

That being said, The battle scenes are freaking fantastic. So incredibly well done, They are simply addicting to watch. That alone makes the film worth watching and I really wish that I had seen it in theaters in 3-D because it would have been a blast.

So overall, Thankfully the story is not a major focus but the battles are. For that alone, It's worth checking out because it can be rather enjoyable to watch.
  37. Dec 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific Rim is certainly a step up from the ridiculous padding (and sometimes offensive) movies that make the Transformers films, but it is not necessarily a masterpiece. It is, however, a step in the right direction.

From the beginning this movie absolutely sucked in the originality department. Concepts of kaiju and mechas have already been exploited to hell and back by the likes of Ultraman and Super Sentai. It made no pretenses as to where the inspiration came from. It wasn't even a parody or homage film; it just outright passed it as if its something to amaze the culturally dim Western audiences. Give me a break.

The story is simple; kaijus come to trample around the Earth from undersea, and we built giant mechas, piloted by the minds of two pilots. We get to see our protagonist with his brother. Not 5 minutes in, the brother dies, and its suppose to make the protagonist go into hiding for five years. In that period, international council members of the UN cut the funding of the mecha programme in favour of some big wall that doesn't seem to work. So the chief (Idris Elba) goes after the hero to make one last hurrah to stop the kaijus once and for all.

Already, I see great problems with the film in the first act alone. Senseless deaths that's supposed to mean a lot to the hero, doesn't affect me if I don't connect to the deceased. Cliches are rampant in the film. Arrogant jock ala Iceman from Top Gun, the absent-minded scientist who thinks only of proving himself right above even common sense, politicians from shadowy- omnipotent councils that try to oversee a military operation (think the Council from Xcom). Its really laze writing. I especially hated the scientist because its clear as the movie progresses that he's supposed to be comic relief. His contribution to the storyline is minimal till the end of the film. To which I ask: since when stereotypes become a joke? Blackface and yellow-faces are not a joke.

Unlike Transformers however, any non-action scene in this movie is utilised to some extent for character development. I liked Ms Mori's character being fleshed out, and you slowly begin to see a different dimension to Elba's character as well. The problem is that its the only development you see; the rest, including the hero himself, are stock and 2-dimensional characters. There's even a supposed love tension between the hero and Ms. Mori, but its passed off as weak sauce.

The 1st act is surprisingly long compared to the other two acts. 1st act is suppose to encompass retraining the hero and Ms. Mori, and getting his mecha up and running. It does provide protected periods of character development, but it also dangerously padded up the act. Especially prominent as the 2nd and 3rd acts were action focused, a sudden tone shift from the introspective 1st Act.

CGI in this movie is breath-taking and almost perfect. The mechas and kaijus look very real. Surroundings look very real. Not once did I cringe at an out-of-place CG artefact. Truly the same crew that worked on the CG of Transformers have worked in this movie with the same fervor, or otherwise another team did an equally impressive job as well. CG made the fight scenes between mechas and kaijus very lifelike. Ripped metal, alien blood, and explosions are perfectly showed in detail, as if it happened in the physical world. Its probably the best CGI this year.

How does this movie rate overall? Compared to Transformers, it definitely took a more simple storytelling, but managed to flesh out a bit more dimension into two of their characters. The CGI is equally impressive. It does suffer from superfluous characters that end up padding the movie right until the end (the scientist, though Ron Perlman did ham the scenes quite comedically). The problem though, is that the movie simply has no originality, and half of its story-telling elements are lined with cliches and stereotypes. This easily satiates the appetites of action-maniacs and children, but its painfully obvious how little value the story is. Its very hard to ignore it altogether because they DID take the time focusing on back story and quiet drama moments. In the end, the movie ends up being action oriented, but failed to let the story and characters equally match. Still, at least the main characters ARE the main characters in their own movie, unlike Transformers. Juvenile humour is kept to a minimum. There is not a lot of lore behind the kaijus however, which makes them almost an archetypal alien invaders that have no soul; just targets and objects to kill.
  38. Dec 2, 2013
    I went into this with high hopes. Perhaps expecting too much from it. But I really did find it a bit dull most of the time. Sure, the special effects and the action scenes were extremely cool but in the end, this is really just another generic B-rate monster vs monster movie, except it has a huge budget and allot of big names attached.

Characters are cliched and tired. Plot is

Characters are cliched and tired. Plot is uninspired and done before. To quote someone I heard on Youtube (I can't remember who) "Pacific Rim is the Power Rangers for adults" and he was right, except this had believable effects and not as cheezy acting.

Overall:
    Regardless of my gripes, the effects were phenomenal! If you can go into this movie just wanting action and epic fight scenes, then this is the movie for you. Just, don't expect anything else.
  39. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    It's visuals are without a doubt beautiful and it has good pacing as well as action sequences that are popcorn fun, but the characters are entirely forgettable. The performances are good and so is the atmosphere. One thing I hated though was how 3/4th's of the action sequences took place at night time and in the rain, making it difficult to thoroughly savor the visual aspect of this film at times.
  40. Oct 17, 2013
    As a child of the 90s I loved TMNT, robots, ninjas, and more. Seeing a well funded and crafted film with giant robots fighting monsters is great. Had I been born 15-20 years later this film would be the greatest thing I'd have seen.

As an adult I still enjoyed watching this. It did take me back, but it's difficult to enjoy it entirely without noticing it's flaws. It has a few but it doesn't stop one enjoyment. They just make you want to question the crew, e.g. why not use swords straight away. Forget the blood theories, the ease of using a sword makes complete sense when punching and pummelling a kaiju causes property destruction and increased chances of death for pilots.

Aside from that and some ordinary acting in parts it's a fun film. See it if you have the chance but don't go out of your way.
  41. Aug 22, 2013
    If all you take into account is the giant robots and monsters fighting each other, this movie would rate much higher. However its not just robots and monsters fighting of course. For kids its great, the action sequences will blow them away and they'll love it, but they will have to endure the goopy mess in between that tries to capture the adult audience and fails miserably. Suffice itIf all you take into account is the giant robots and monsters fighting each other, this movie would rate much higher. However its not just robots and monsters fighting of course. For kids its great, the action sequences will blow them away and they'll love it, but they will have to endure the goopy mess in between that tries to capture the adult audience and fails miserably. Suffice it to say that there just isn't enough character development, substantial plot, or even memorable acting to make it a gripping story. Much of it actually seems to be ripped from earlier science fiction movies like Independence Day. Some of the plot elements (dual pilots, which they break in their own cannon right off the bat) seem to be there simply as an excuse to create drama or a love story, neither of which are compelling in their own right. With a little more polish on the characters or at least a few more memorable performances the movie could have been much stronger. But as it stands its just a special effects extravaganza that borrows a little too much of its core elements from anime and previous movies. Expand
  42. Jul 19, 2013
    This movie was an enjoyable movie. It had an OK plot, OK acting, but amazing fighting scenes. CGI was pretty great. The movie at times was funny, but more cheesy then anything which is a shame. That's what I don't like about action movies today, they are all trying too hard at being funny. Sure a few laugh scenes is fine, but most of it should be serious. The best actor I could pick out ofThis movie was an enjoyable movie. It had an OK plot, OK acting, but amazing fighting scenes. CGI was pretty great. The movie at times was funny, but more cheesy then anything which is a shame. That's what I don't like about action movies today, they are all trying too hard at being funny. Sure a few laugh scenes is fine, but most of it should be serious. The best actor I could pick out of this would probably be Newt. He did a great job. The Marshall was good at his role. The rest of them seemed pretty vanilla and showed low amounts of emotion, which is a shame. There were a few inconsistencies with the plot like how one thing was a huge issue and then not a big deal in about a few minutes (Trying not to spoil anything). Overall, I enjoyed the movie and it was worth 7 bucks to see on the big screen. Sadly, I give it a 6/10 because it was just an over alright movie for action junkies. I like a good plot. I base it on how good it was, not how much I enjoyed it. Expand
  43. Jul 28, 2013
    I went into this film with the expectation that there was going to be little plot and mostly explosions with big mechs and monsters. From that standpoint I was not disappointed. The movie is your standard summer blockbuster fair. Entertaining enough, but lacking real long term substance to make me see this more then twice. There was no plot in this movie beyond the basics of aliens,I went into this film with the expectation that there was going to be little plot and mostly explosions with big mechs and monsters. From that standpoint I was not disappointed. The movie is your standard summer blockbuster fair. Entertaining enough, but lacking real long term substance to make me see this more then twice. There was no plot in this movie beyond the basics of aliens, robots, robots kill aliens, robots must stop invasion. Nothing more, nothing less. I gave this movie a 6 for one simple reason. The genre of big robots has been sorely overlooked by Western cinema. There is something to be said for big robots that are going hand to claw against big monsters. Its a basic movie concept, but one that deserves to be played up from time to time....but don't make a habit out of it Hollywood. Expand
  44. Aug 23, 2013
    Surprising, is what I'd say. It's far from original, and heavily convoluted, but it makes up in it's effects and comical tone by Charlie Day. Overall, it stands higher than expected.
  45. Nov 21, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a movie that doesn't play to it's strong suits.

Pacific Rim is a movie that doesn't play to it's strong suits.

This was a movie that needed to focus on giant robots fist fighting giant alien monsters, however what we got was a movie with split personality disorder. Sometimes it's focusing on the emotional dramas of the characters and others it's making corny jokes and fighting monsters. I wanted to suspend belief at the plot holes and ignore all the pointless dialog, but it just felt like a chore to wait through all the meaningless exposition dumps and pointless emotional conflicts just to get to the good stuff, the action.

I can only partly recommend Pacific Rim as i felt quite bored waiting through all the pointlessness to get to the stuff that was exciting and fun.
  46. Dec 31, 2013
    The movie is a generic mix of ideas from anime super robot genre, amazing effects and fun to watch but is predictable and feels really generic, full of cliches and the giant robots have a plain and boring design, a nice try but not so memorable
  47. Nov 29, 2014
    Guillermo Del Toro's admittedly stunning visuals and rousing action save this motion picture from a wholly dumb story and some over-the-top characters.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 15, 2013
    It is possible to applaud Pacific Rim for the efficacy of its business model while deploring the tale that has been engendered — long, loud, dark, and very wet. You might as well watch the birth of an elephant.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jul 12, 2013
    The Kaijus make zombies look like wusses, so at least the fights in this film are battles royal. But overload sets in early, and it all turns into battle boring.
    Pacific Rim made me marvel at the technology of movies, but never the magic of them.