7.5

1. Jul 27, 2013
    If you didn't like this movie, then you just plain hate fun. Sure, the plot may be a little underdeveloped. Sure, the characters may almost be stock. But when you go to see a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters and you don't like the giant robots or giant monsters part, or hell, even the FIGHTING part, then why did you even see it? You're better off watching The Notebook orIf you didn't like this movie, then you just plain hate fun. Sure, the plot may be a little underdeveloped. Sure, the characters may almost be stock. But when you go to see a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters and you don't like the giant robots or giant monsters part, or hell, even the FIGHTING part, then why did you even see it? You're better off watching The Notebook or something, and you are not the kind of person I would want to be associated with. Expand
  2. Jul 28, 2013
    I went into this film with the expectation that there was going to be little plot and mostly explosions with big mechs and monsters. From that standpoint I was not disappointed. The movie is your standard summer blockbuster fair. Entertaining enough, but lacking real long term substance to make me see this more then twice. There was no plot in this movie beyond the basics of aliens,I went into this film with the expectation that there was going to be little plot and mostly explosions with big mechs and monsters. From that standpoint I was not disappointed. The movie is your standard summer blockbuster fair. Entertaining enough, but lacking real long term substance to make me see this more then twice. There was no plot in this movie beyond the basics of aliens, robots, robots kill aliens, robots must stop invasion. Nothing more, nothing less. I gave this movie a 6 for one simple reason. The genre of big robots has been sorely overlooked by Western cinema. There is something to be said for big robots that are going hand to claw against big monsters. Its a basic movie concept, but one that deserves to be played up from time to time....but don't make a habit out of it Hollywood. Expand
  3. Oct 27, 2013
    big robots vs giant monstrous aliens means a amazing action packed movie that is a great tribute to monster movies but also a great original worlds and story great job Del Toro great job
  4. Jul 30, 2013
    This year I haven't seen such a movie with so spectacular visual effects on an epic scale like "Pacific Rim". Director Guillermo del Toro has a wonderful imagination and he still knows how to amaze us. The battles between the Jaegers and Kaiju monsters are spectacular. An excellent complement to this movie is the score composed by Ramin Djawadi. "Pacific Rim" is definitely the best summerThis year I haven't seen such a movie with so spectacular visual effects on an epic scale like "Pacific Rim". Director Guillermo del Toro has a wonderful imagination and he still knows how to amaze us. The battles between the Jaegers and Kaiju monsters are spectacular. An excellent complement to this movie is the score composed by Ramin Djawadi. "Pacific Rim" is definitely the best summer blockbuster movie of the 2013! I wouldn't be surprised if it got Academy Awards in technical categories (Best Visual Effects, Best Sound, Best Sound Editing). Expand
  5. Aug 3, 2013
    Neon Genesis Evangelion IRL. Thats what you need to know.
    No, srsly it was very well written and delivered a compeling story from start to finish. The Score was fantastic, as the main theme developed over the course of the film, like in many other epic oriented movies.
    I disliked the WAY to cheese character of the black market leader. It almost ruined the realistic feeling of the movie.
    Neon Genesis Evangelion IRL. Thats what you need to know.
    Besides that, I recommend it to anyone looking for a good scifi/action movie, and definetly to mecha fans. (altough I am not)
    The Film deserves a 8.5 in my Eyes, but the really bad, baseless reviews, are just improper and the film does not deserve this.
  6. Aug 1, 2013
    Such a smart and spectacular movie. It gets you from the beginning to the end. It is everything you expected from a robots vs. monsters movie. It has also quite good 3D effects.
  7. Aug 1, 2013
    Pacific rim is amazing. The best movie of the year so far and if you can watch it then go see it. it has Great action is well filmed and has visually stunning fights which feel like big robots vs big monsters should. the story is surprisingly amazing as well so with the great fights great story and it being truly coherent it makes a near perfect movie.like all of the cast are good from arePacific rim is amazing. The best movie of the year so far and if you can watch it then go see it. it has Great action is well filmed and has visually stunning fights which feel like big robots vs big monsters should. the story is surprisingly amazing as well so with the great fights great story and it being truly coherent it makes a near perfect movie.like all of the cast are good from are male and female protagonist to the scientists and the story keeps you intrigued through the entire thing Expand
  8. Aug 1, 2013
    If this movie were a person.. It'd be the most interesting man and chuck norris fused into one great bunch.. It's worth seeing once just for the ride.. a second time for the special effects.. and a third time to show off to your friends.. Best movie of the summer for me besides the Hobbit.. Both are truly.. a Great Journey.
  9. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great movie that differs from everything else released this summer. The 3D effects in it are very well executed, and not the typical cliche "Poking-Hand-Out-Of-Screen-For-The-Sake-Of-3D" thing you see in typical 3D movies. It actually makes you feel like you're IN the world with how it's executed.

I would heavily recommend watching this if you like big robots and monsters fighting, even though it's story is a little dry outside of the fighting in my personal opinion.
  10. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really enjoyed this movie. had low expectations going in but left very satisfied. loved that they were not afraid of killing of characters. would have been more effective if Raleigh died at the end though, saving humanity. Also failed in the humor category. but loved the action and the character development. Expand
  11. Aug 8, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a movie for teen
    and all we know that the kid and teen like this kind of movie
    it is make the one interesting and want to watch it for the End and Know what happened

it is wonderful in 3D
  12. LTR
    Nov 16, 2013
    This is a great monster movie. The story is great, the characters are good, the action is great and the monsters are creative. This movie is a great way to show that monster movies are still great.
  13. May 25, 2014
    This is one of those films you just have to watch on the big screen to have the full experience it's just awesome. The movie has had the best visuals of the year so far overtaking Star Trek Into Darkness it was so colorful i could see that just from the trailers. It has an amazing cast Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman. Guillermo del Toro definitely showsThis is one of those films you just have to watch on the big screen to have the full experience it's just awesome. The movie has had the best visuals of the year so far overtaking Star Trek Into Darkness it was so colorful i could see that just from the trailers. It has an amazing cast Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman. Guillermo del Toro definitely shows his directing skills again with some amazing shots. You can see just how huge the Kaiju and the robots are you really get a sense of the scale those things. Had some great dialog with some witty light sense humor that you can expect in del Toro's recent movies. Also i guess you could call this original but this kind of thing has been seen many times before just del toro pulls it off like a champ.

Overall i give it a 7.0 for sure buying this on blu ray and watching it multiple times. Another film to add to my del Toro movie collection. So cool that Pacific rim 2 is going to happen so we can see more of these awesome fights.
  14. Aug 13, 2013
    Pacific Rim was fairly good movie yes there was some silly parts and annoying bits but over all it was an action packed movie with a few good laughs i would recommend it
  15. Aug 20, 2013
    excellent and plenty of action to keep you looking at the screen and not at your ice cream the fighting and battles were to my taste and the robots though a bit far fetched played their part in making this film worth watching
  16. Aug 23, 2013
    Surprising, is what I'd say. It's far from original, and heavily convoluted, but it makes up in it's effects and comical tone by Charlie Day. Overall, it stands higher than expected.
  17. Aug 27, 2013
    De lo mejor de todo el 2013, es grande, fantástico, un gran boom, tan grande como los mismos Kaijus. La experiencia de Del Toro para crear personas de fantasía es innegable. No se necesita de explosiones ni exageraciones para sostener la película, con mucha trama te lleva de la emoción al asombro.
  18. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The film Pacific Rim begins with some background information. We are informed that deep beneath the Pacific Ocean a rift through time and space opened up and gigantic creatures named Kaiju began to emerge from the ocean's depths. The Kaiju begin began to attack populated areas and from the start it appears that mankind does not stand a chance against these terrible creatures. In response the countries of the world pool their resources and create giant mechanical robots to fight against the Kaiju. These robots known as Jaegers are controlled by two pilots who fuse their neural centrals so that they can share the mental load that is needed to control the Jaegers. But as the war continues on for over ten years, the Jaegers begin to lose and the Kaiju are only becoming stronger. Former pilot Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) is called back into the Jaeger program for a last attempt to take out the Kaiju by the four remaining Jaegers. And if they fail their objective, it will mean the end of human race. But there is much about the Kaiju that humans still do not know.
    The film is helmed by Mexican director Guillermo Del Toro, known for directing Pan's Labyrinth (2006) and the Hellboy series. In Pacific Rim he shows all the talent he has in the past. The film can appeal to a wide audience and yet at its heart is very simple. Pacific Rim at its core is a love letter to japanese monster movies. Visually it is amazing, the special effects are pulled off quite well and you can really feel the size and weight of the Jaegers and the Kaiju. Del Toro also tosses in details that really flesh out the environment, such as acknowledgment of a group who are considered "Kaiju Groupies". By adding little details like that it makes the film's world all the more real.
    The screenplay (written by Del Toro and Travis Beacham) is well done and the characters are all very diverse and memorable. The best performance is done by Idris Elba as the leader of the Jaeger program. Going into the film I expected his performance not to be very notable but he broke the stereotype of a standard army commander and generally surprised me with his talent. Another great character is a pilot portrayed by Rinko Kikuchi, who gives a very heartfelt performance as a pilot with a tragic backstory that really brings to life the war between the humans and the Kaiju. Its just another detail that increases how immersive an environment Del Toro creates with this film. Not far into the movie I generally believed in the film's universe that included characters who acted like real people as well as machines and monsters beyond our wildest imaginations.
    But like every film Pacific Rim is not perfect and it contains flaws. Such is with an aforementioned "Kaiju Groupie" portrayed by Charlie Day. His character struck a really annoying nerve with me and I didn't enjoy the moments when he was on screen. But even with that said, his character is still realistic, its just not a person I'd like to meet in real life. The only other notable flaw I can mention is that soundtrack was fine and all but was rather repetitive. But despite its flaws I believe Del Toro once again created an incredibly immersive, action heavy, summer blockbuster that is not likely to be forgotten in the coming years.
  19. Oct 8, 2013
    The movie story and story development are excellent, as well as the CGI. Only big thing wrong with the movie is the: Generic Movie Hero #4623 aka Raleigh Becket (main character) thrown in this universe to solve its problems which are solvable in only cliché means and ways as in most of the movies today. And there is the lack of distance between events as everything seems like its piled onThe movie story and story development are excellent, as well as the CGI. Only big thing wrong with the movie is the: Generic Movie Hero #4623 aka Raleigh Becket (main character) thrown in this universe to solve its problems which are solvable in only cliché means and ways as in most of the movies today. And there is the lack of distance between events as everything seems like its piled on top of each other and glued together so it wont separate. Camera man decided to film every action scene with Zoom on 200%, and movie physics is sometimes unrealistic.

And there is a constant question: If they have all the ranged weapons and melee weapons why don't they use them at the start of the battle and not in the most critical time? All that partially or mostly fades away (dependent on the public) as the movie action, special effects and sometimes a bad-ass scene or a moment takes place. Overall the movie is great and you should watch it.
  20. Aug 30, 2013
    Pacific Rim: A whole lot of awesome. Story: Consistent throughout the film although I felt it could have been a bit better, but lets talk about why people really watched the film: Kaiju vs Jaegers. Giant aliens vs Giant Robots, what more could you ask for? Amazing visuals combined with huge,crazy action is just awesome. All the characters are portrayed well by their Actors/Actresses, noPacific Rim: A whole lot of awesome. Story: Consistent throughout the film although I felt it could have been a bit better, but lets talk about why people really watched the film: Kaiju vs Jaegers. Giant aliens vs Giant Robots, what more could you ask for? Amazing visuals combined with huge,crazy action is just awesome. All the characters are portrayed well by their Actors/Actresses, no standout performances as they all seem to be just doing what they have been told to do. If you want an amazing story this is not the film for you but if you want to see full on fights between giants, watch the movie. 8/10 Expand
  21. Aug 31, 2013
    This movie has done something very hard, something not many movies of the genre can do. It is a movie just as entertaining and captivating to a 5 year old as it is to a 50 year old. There are not many good movies coming out in recent history, but this particular one is a gem. I am very pleased that del Toro's first major budged movie was a success, he is a spectacular writer.

I

I personally enjoy movies with heavy thought, such as Donnie Darko and movies with mindless action such as expendables. This movie didn't need to suit either category. I can only hope that other Asian to American style conversions can be as successful as Pacific Rim.
  22. Nov 1, 2013
    Pacific Rim might not be a groundbreaking film, but it's not bad by any means and pretty much everybody can enjoy it regardless of their taste. The movie is extremely spectacular, thanks to its great visuals and music sound effects that make the action scenes truly shine. It is true, though, that the plot isn't too original (but I must admit that taking ideas from Japanese culture madePacific Rim might not be a groundbreaking film, but it's not bad by any means and pretty much everybody can enjoy it regardless of their taste. The movie is extremely spectacular, thanks to its great visuals and music sound effects that make the action scenes truly shine. It is true, though, that the plot isn't too original (but I must admit that taking ideas from Japanese culture made the plot more interesting) and it's handled in a typical and cheesy way. Despite its flaws, Pacific Rim is a decent and entertaining movie.

Scoring:

Production Values (Sound Visuals): 9/10 (good all-around and immersive)
    Story Characters: 4/10 (typical and a bit cheesy but has a good pacing)
    Enjoyment: 7/10 (the action scenes are well done and you don't have time to get bored)
    Total: 6.7/10
  23. Sep 2, 2013
    I love the action, scenes, CGI, and special effects. I at first though that this movie was going to be dumb, but it was very good. Sure, its not the most original movie or idea ever and some parts may be cheesy, but its overall an excellent film. The Jaegars (the robots) and the Kaiju (alien monsters) are a visual treat. They look beautiful. My one complaint was that Raleigh and Mako'sI love the action, scenes, CGI, and special effects. I at first though that this movie was going to be dumb, but it was very good. Sure, its not the most original movie or idea ever and some parts may be cheesy, but its overall an excellent film. The Jaegars (the robots) and the Kaiju (alien monsters) are a visual treat. They look beautiful. My one complaint was that Raleigh and Mako's relationship was slightly rushed. I would have liked to see them interact a bit more. I hope there will be a sequel. THANK YOU GUILLERMO DEL TORO!

If you liked this review, read my other ones and mark this review as helpful.
  24. Dec 17, 2013
    E o típico filme com otimos efeitos especias, mais com uma história horrivel.
    Alem do mais robos gigantes que lutam na cidade ja não e novidade, mais acho que Pacific Rim e um grande concorrente da Franquia Transformer.
  25. Sep 8, 2013
    I loved Pacific Rim. I can't say the amount of awesomeness this movie had/has, and it was BAD-ASS in the theatre. It probably won't be so epic when watched by your own little TV, but it's still epic. The fighting scenes were beautiful and very well done, the effects were super-cool and oh-my-god. THE MUSIC. Main theme is one of my favorite movie songs of all time. I totally recommend thisI loved Pacific Rim. I can't say the amount of awesomeness this movie had/has, and it was BAD-ASS in the theatre. It probably won't be so epic when watched by your own little TV, but it's still epic. The fighting scenes were beautiful and very well done, the effects were super-cool and oh-my-god. THE MUSIC. Main theme is one of my favorite movie songs of all time. I totally recommend this to ANYONE who loves epic effects, awesome action scenes and kaijus! Expand
  26. Sep 21, 2013
    Guillermo del Toro nos ha entregado una de las películas más entretenida de este verano. Con una historia sencilla y liviana Pacific Rim no requiere tanto de tu mente. Más bien invita a tus ojos a pasar un momento excelsamente entretenido. Las peleas entre estos gigantes fueron increíblemente entretenidas y los detalles, que nos recuerdan quien es el director que estamos viendo, hacen deGuillermo del Toro nos ha entregado una de las películas más entretenida de este verano. Con una historia sencilla y liviana Pacific Rim no requiere tanto de tu mente. Más bien invita a tus ojos a pasar un momento excelsamente entretenido. Las peleas entre estos gigantes fueron increíblemente entretenidas y los detalles, que nos recuerdan quien es el director que estamos viendo, hacen de Pacific Rim un paseo en una montaña rusa. Entiendo que el hecho de que la historia haya sido débil no debe ser un factor para mal juzgar a este filme. Pues me parecen que las intenciones de la producción no eran poner a las personas a pensar. Simplemente, la película no es difícil de disfrutar. Si realmente te interesan los efectos especiales y visuales esta es tu película. Expand
  27. Sep 12, 2013
    Very, very nice! The best movie ever! I love Raleigh Becket.. he's so hot. I love that scene where he was shirtless.. Nice movie! MUST SEE. It's really worth watching. Very underrated.
  28. Dec 17, 2013
    When you sit down to watch this movie, don't expect fantastic acting, interesting dialogue or a compelling story. Instead, this film is absolutley perfect at what it aims to do; its a balls out, over the top action spectacle.
  29. Sep 20, 2013
    Maybe the trama sounds similar like Evangelion, Godzilla, & Transformers, but Pacific Rim has something different, and is the cool part of the movie, the visual effects are A M A Z I N G, the story has a fantastic development, the 3D is great, and the performances are great. Pacific Rim is one of the most espectacular movies of this year.
  30. Oct 18, 2013
    I really liked this movie. Who wouldn't want to watch Gundams finally done in a blockbuster movie? However, the mistake was in how this movie was cut. It should have shown less fight scenes and CGI destruction porn, and more of the dynamic between Mako and whatever Hunnam's character was named. There are scenes where the connection between the two does not really make sense unless thereI really liked this movie. Who wouldn't want to watch Gundams finally done in a blockbuster movie? However, the mistake was in how this movie was cut. It should have shown less fight scenes and CGI destruction porn, and more of the dynamic between Mako and whatever Hunnam's character was named. There are scenes where the connection between the two does not really make sense unless there was a bigger romantic arc between the two of them that was cut in favor of more kaiju scenes. I realize that this is not a serialized anime, and we can't have all the stories given time to unfold; however, I'm just disappointed because just like in Man of Steel, CGI carnage becomes tedious after a while. Expand
  31. Oct 17, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a really interesting and unique movie. The battles between the robots and the monsters are freakin amazing. This is an amazing movie to watch in 3D. The story is pretty predictable, but their are some funny moments. Overall Score=75/100
  32. Oct 17, 2013
    awesome movie it was action after action i watched it first day out and i loved it its defiantly worth watching again i would recommend this movie to everyone because the story line gets you thinking
    i waited a long time to watch this movie and i wasn't disappointed
  33. Oct 17, 2013
    Forget anyone who whines about the film, it's fantastic. I've seen a lot of films like this and am rarely impressed. For sheer spectacle it's creative and incredible. Characters aren't all your typical American hero (although they do feature, which in this sort of gung-ho action film is entirely acceptable) they come from an array of backgrounds and provide their own basic motives,Forget anyone who whines about the film, it's fantastic. I've seen a lot of films like this and am rarely impressed. For sheer spectacle it's creative and incredible. Characters aren't all your typical American hero (although they do feature, which in this sort of gung-ho action film is entirely acceptable) they come from an array of backgrounds and provide their own basic motives, fleshing them out a little. They really try everything to create a believable atmosphere in a completely bizarre and unrealistic complex and surprisingly succeed. When reading negative reviews it's obvious that these people went into this film with far too high minded an attitude, lost in their own belief that an action epic such as this isn't good because it doesn't hold a bigger message for them I'll give them the bigger message get over yourself, stop watching so many films and enjoy them for what they are. Seriously, the cover has a giant, man-shaped robot on the front, what did you expect? Expand
  34. Oct 22, 2013
    Pacific Rim is one the most visually stunning movies of this year thus far and one the best action movies in the past 5 years. With all that being said the few problems the movie does have a forgivable mainly in the story department, which is not that big of a issue. The formula is simple Giant monsters rise from the sea humans built giant robots to fight giant monsters. The other bits ofPacific Rim is one the most visually stunning movies of this year thus far and one the best action movies in the past 5 years. With all that being said the few problems the movie does have a forgivable mainly in the story department, which is not that big of a issue. The formula is simple Giant monsters rise from the sea humans built giant robots to fight giant monsters. The other bits of story at times felt more like filler but never drug on for so long that it was unbearable. Guillermo del Toro has crafted a world the likes of which is staggering to say the least. All in all it's a good movie I look forward to see if they decide to expand the universe in other forums such as comics or with more movies. Expand
  35. Oct 28, 2013
    les robot sont trop cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! et puis les combat aussi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! la fin est cool tout est cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  36. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific Rim is a great movie, the battle scenes between Jaegers and Kaijus are fantastic. The only thing I don't like is that they only used 5 jaegers in the battle scenes (the fifth is the Coyote Tango). It would have been better if they added more jaegers but who cares? It's a great movie for kids.

Once again, the film is great. I just hope that they add more jaegers (or if possible: battles during days rather than night with very hard rains because, for me, everything seemed hard to see when they fight at night.) so it's more enjoyable.

Other than that, it's a very enjoyable movie for young audiences, good job Guillermo Del Toro for making a fantastic movie!
  37. Nov 26, 2013
    I really love the way del Toro captures the essence of what I feel is the essence of his childhood, with films like Godzilla and Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the anime of his childhood involving giant mech robots. Its a very enjoyable action film and I feel del Toro had just as much fun making it as I did watching it. Their is true imagination in this film. Its not groundbreaking inI really love the way del Toro captures the essence of what I feel is the essence of his childhood, with films like Godzilla and Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the anime of his childhood involving giant mech robots. Its a very enjoyable action film and I feel del Toro had just as much fun making it as I did watching it. Their is true imagination in this film. Its not groundbreaking in the storytelling department but I appreciate good fun and this film is great fun every second you see a Jaeger against a Kaiju! Expand
  38. Nov 16, 2013
    All of my childhood fantisies all rolled into one 2 hour movie. Thank you for getting it right Guillermo Del Toro. Took me back to the good old days. It isn't perfect but come on, GIANT ROBOTS fighting GIANT MONSTERS! If you like that sort of thing, this is the movie for you.
  39. Nov 21, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a movie that doesn't play to it's strong suits.

Pacific Rim is a movie that doesn't play to it's strong suits.

This was a movie that needed to focus on giant robots fist fighting giant alien monsters, however what we got was a movie with split personality disorder. Sometimes it's focusing on the emotional dramas of the characters and others it's making corny jokes and fighting monsters. I wanted to suspend belief at the plot holes and ignore all the pointless dialog, but it just felt like a chore to wait through all the meaningless exposition dumps and pointless emotional conflicts just to get to the good stuff, the action.

I can only partly recommend Pacific Rim as i felt quite bored waiting through all the pointlessness to get to the stuff that was exciting and fun.
  40. Nov 24, 2013
    Pacific Rim the best summer movie ever made. It even fits the definition of a exploding summer blockbuster film which knows what it's doing. Pacific Rim also knows how to be one by not getting you bored while these titans fight in our cities. One side is made out of metal and the other is completely organic. Giant 250ft tall mechanical beings fighting equally 250 or 300 feet monsters isPacific Rim the best summer movie ever made. It even fits the definition of a exploding summer blockbuster film which knows what it's doing. Pacific Rim also knows how to be one by not getting you bored while these titans fight in our cities. One side is made out of metal and the other is completely organic. Giant 250ft tall mechanical beings fighting equally 250 or 300 feet monsters is just something that has never been done before in a long time and it's all thanks to Guillermo Del Toro for pulling the drawings of giant robots and monsters out of my head, and finally putting them into a movie! This is the only movie by far, which has action on a scale that is physically unimaginable. And what's so great about this movie as well, is not only the action, there's a really great sense of humanity in this movie. That we haven't got in a long time too. Great characters and each shows a great purpose in their roles. Charlie Hunnam, I will agree his accent is a little wonky at times. But that's not enough to bring down on how big his charisma is in the movie. A really badass likable character. Though what I wished was more character development between him and his lost brother. It's sad, we didn't get that. But still, Charlie makes the heck out of the movie. Idris Elba, the actor known for playing Heimdall in Thor, is an amazing actor. That focus, and moral center of the movie, is what defines Idris' character. Rinko Kikuchi, an actress who has less knowledge of an eye candy, yet to nail her role in playing the role of an isolated beautiful object in this movie and has really a great backstory. But she's just as good as Charlie's character, who has a badass backstory but it's a little one-dimensional. Charlie Day, from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, is hilarious in this movie. Every scene he's in is appropriate for the comedic relieves and he's the scientist who's always hyperactive on drugs, especially the Hong Kong scenes where he's in. Great! Ron Perlman, known for making his cameo longer than any cameos I've seen, does a great job as a leader of a black market Kaiju dealer. Really great. Guillermo specifically said he wanted something that looked weirder or stranger than the giant monsters, so we got this. Something to be taken with the opposite of serious. And the rest of the cast did a fine job at bringing the movie with the sense of actual continuity. Pacific Rim definitely deserves a sequel as there's so much more of it's story that we needed. And the sequel should also tell more of the prologue which is quite short in this movie, unfortunately. Not giving audiences more information and therefore having others to felt like this movie had some part of the plot that didn't make sense. But I wasn't one of them. I know everything there is to know about Pacific Rim. Now I've said this and I will say it again, Pacific Rim is not just everything about explosions and spectacle and metal and monsters fighting, it has really great human elements in this movie. Unlike the Transformers which has some really inappropriate moments that just tore the film down and it's annoying. The action in there was really subtle, meaning it's bad and it's really hard to understand which transformer is fighting which transformer. Michael Bay and Dreamworks, you got some mess to do. Okay! So overall, Pacific Rim is an awesome great action summer blockbuster movie that deserves to receive all your money and it's really worth most of our time. Really dates back to the mecha and kaiju sub-genres in the past and now it's been revived. Thank you Guillermo Del Toro and the rest of his crew for making this entire movie possible. Thank you. Can't wait for it's sequel which is in storywriting process now! XD Expand
  41. Dec 1, 2013
    This movie is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I had my arms in front of me mimicking the punches the robots made as if I was 8 years old. I took off points for more predictability than expected and Hunnam's attempt at an American accent. A solid summer movie.
  42. Dec 12, 2013
    The visual effects keep it going rather than aid the story, but I guess what makes it worth the watch is the guilty pleasure of seeing monsters and robots beat the crap out of each other.
  43. Dec 21, 2013
    Comparing Transformers, I Robot, RoboCop (and all the movies of robots) this leaves them as the worst. Guillermo del Toro treats us to a spectacular show of special effects and action-filled moments of tension and adrenaline. The plot is very smart and keeps you tied to the seat. The performances are not like Daniel Day Lewis, Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt and all of them, but there are goodComparing Transformers, I Robot, RoboCop (and all the movies of robots) this leaves them as the worst. Guillermo del Toro treats us to a spectacular show of special effects and action-filled moments of tension and adrenaline. The plot is very smart and keeps you tied to the seat. The performances are not like Daniel Day Lewis, Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt and all of them, but there are good and which emphasize. The outcome and the course are sublime. Here we have another light in the dark moment is going Hollywood with a fresh idea. If not I at least nominated for an Oscar I'll descepiconar and I think I am not alone. Expand
  44. Dec 28, 2013
    I couldn't help but feel like Pacific Rim should have given me some deeper dramatic elements to chew on, but maybe I'm just missing the point. That having been said, you can do a whole lot worse if you're looking for a brainless, enjoyable action extravaganza.
  45. Dec 31, 2013
    The movie is a generic mix of ideas from anime super robot genre, amazing effects and fun to watch but is predictable and feels really generic, full of cliches and the giant robots have a plain and boring design, a nice try but not so memorable
  46. Dec 31, 2013
    This was actually a very fun movie. It was engaging, had a neat plot, and delivered on what it was. You don't go into it looking for academy award winning performances, but you leaved having enjoyed it. I would actually love to see some kind of sequel. Definitely an enjoyable movie.
  47. Dec 31, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a movie to be experienced on a huge screen and in 3D. It doesn't have the best acting or writing, but the overall story is awesome and the action and visual effects are amazing. It doesn't seem like a del Toro movie, even though it has creatures and giant robots. Because it doesn't have the best writing, it focuses more on the action and visual content, so the poor writingPacific Rim is a movie to be experienced on a huge screen and in 3D. It doesn't have the best acting or writing, but the overall story is awesome and the action and visual effects are amazing. It doesn't seem like a del Toro movie, even though it has creatures and giant robots. Because it doesn't have the best writing, it focuses more on the action and visual content, so the poor writing doesn't feel as bad.

Pacific Rim gets 7.4/10
  48. Jan 5, 2014
    Cheesy, but awesome cheesy.

Sometimes cheesy films can be really bad and this was not that, not going to be film of the century but when you're watching it on a big screen really loud then it's really fun to watch.
  49. Jan 6, 2014
    Badass!! realistic movants on the robots fun dumb fun for anytime of the year. Characters that are relatable yet unreliable, with a speech to rival independents day.
  50. Jul 4, 2014
    Why should someone spend approx 2 hours and watch a movie that looks exactly like a great video game, instead of playing THE video game itself (and thus, have more fun with it)? Today, most movies are using too much CGI and sometimes the producers overdo it, almost causing nausea to the viewer. Of course Pacific Rim has great visual FX. And that's it. No acting and no story at all. JustWhy should someone spend approx 2 hours and watch a movie that looks exactly like a great video game, instead of playing THE video game itself (and thus, have more fun with it)? Today, most movies are using too much CGI and sometimes the producers overdo it, almost causing nausea to the viewer. Of course Pacific Rim has great visual FX. And that's it. No acting and no story at all. Just another "shoot the aliens" movie with 70% computer graphics, 25% sound FX and 5% acting. Expand
  51. Jan 26, 2014
    Do you like Godzilla movies?
    Do you like Giant Robot movies?
    Would you like to watch them fight it out? If you answered yes to the three questions above, then this is the movie for you. My inner 8 year old squealed in delight seeing the trailer for the first time. And did so again while watching the movie. Sure the dialog was a bit flat and the character development was lacking.
    Do you like Godzilla movies?
    Do you like Giant Robot movies?
    Would you like to watch them fight it out?

If you answered yes to the three questions above, then this is the movie for you. My inner 8 year old squealed in delight seeing the trailer for the first time. And did so again while watching the movie. Sure the dialog was a bit flat and the character development was lacking. But watching the trailer, I knew what I was going to get and I got it in spades. Damn now I want to watch it again.
  52. Jan 31, 2014
    I'm very surprised on how good this movie was and most especially to myself that I enjoyed this movie. Also, I was expecting a sort of 80% Transformers like war and destruction composing the majority of this movie. But it was a good balance of it.

The acting of the actors was also phenomenal.
  53. Feb 1, 2014
    I'm not gonna go out and say that Pacific Rim was one of the best movies of all time, but it's definitely one of the boldest. Adopting a lot of elements from both anime and the Kaiju and mecha genres, Pacific Rim clearly knows its roots and pays homages to its roots and looks great doing it.
  54. May 2, 2014
    A spectacular adventure of giant robots fighting giant monsters from deep beneath the Pacific Ocean. The plot is a little boring, but the action sequences are what make this movie an amazing groundbreaking CGI film so entertaining that you'll want to rewind it.
  55. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Pacific Rim wasn't a terrible movie. It was sort of slow in my perspective, but the last thirty minutes of the picture were pretty entertaining.
  56. Nov 17, 2014
    This is an awesome movie! It features plenty of action and very good special effects. A must watch if you like Sci-fi movies! It also has quite an interesting plot. This is definitely good to watch even in 2-D as I watched it in 2-D and it still feels good even for a 2-D movie.
  57. Nov 29, 2014
    Guillermo Del Toro's admittedly stunning visuals and rousing action save this motion picture from a wholly dumb story and some over-the-top characters.
  58. Oct 8, 2014
    Don't have too much to say about this...maybe.

Don't have too much to say about this...maybe.

But this is one of my ALL TIME favorite movies. !!! I think I'll take a good look on Guillermo del Toro's other movies ( whatever else he directed or maybe was a writer too ) But this redefines a great CGI monster battle out blockbuster. Pacific Rim is loaded with fantastic visuals that will appeal to many fanboys and for many people who just wants a little dose of a monster verus metal clash in our great cities.

I first saw this in a Latino theater in Ecuador located somewhere in South America ( That is where I was born ) and I loved it!!! I then got lucky enough to See it AGAIN ...but this time in 3D! ( Yes, in a latino movie theater, don't worry I understand spanish quite well. )

The experince was again fantastic! Great monster verus giant robots fights! It was breath-taking. Another word I'll use to describe Transformers. (2007)! I have the movie on DVD, Blu-ray and Digital HD! Once I get my Blu-Ray DVD player, I'll shall watch this movie in the Blu ray version! LOVED this epic movie! Watch it please!!! HIGHLY FREAKING RECOMMEND!
  59. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is one of a kind for me, it surprised me beyond belief. Upon going to see it with my brother, i initially agreed to tagging along just to be nice and was planning on falling asleep. I couldn't have been more wrong. It has been the only film i have ever wanted to watch a second time, immediately after watching it the first time.

Critics and viewers may complain about the hilarious technological change, and how we couldn't possibly build moving robots as big as Jaegers., but who cares? The last thing I'm thinking about is how scientifically accurate the movie is. No it's not possible to build them but I for one have an imagination. There could never be an Island we don't know about with dinosaurs or ginormous gorillas on them, and we don't question them so why question these Jaegers of Kaijus?

The action and special affects we're outstanding and it had a top notch storyline that was original and interesting. I enjoyed the relationship build between all the characters and i found every second of it enjoyable. I would recommend not missing this film to anybody.
  60. May 26, 2014
    This is a must scene for any fan of Kaiju movies and of the action genre. Pacific Rim is a non-stop thrill ride (cliché but so very true!) that gives fans exactly what they want: non stop action. Watching this with friends was some of the most fun I have ever had in a movie theatre. The Giant robots and hulking Kaiju were all beautifully presented and seeing them made me feel like a 10This is a must scene for any fan of Kaiju movies and of the action genre. Pacific Rim is a non-stop thrill ride (cliché but so very true!) that gives fans exactly what they want: non stop action. Watching this with friends was some of the most fun I have ever had in a movie theatre. The Giant robots and hulking Kaiju were all beautifully presented and seeing them made me feel like a 10 year old again. The Kaiju fight scenes are aplenty and they are very well done with a wonderful feeling of variety to them. But ultimately this movie is fun, there is a light heartedness about the characters despite being in a fight for their lives that makes you not take the movie too seriously and just enjoy the spectacle of giant battles being waged.

Not perfect, but it comes pretty damn close. Worth seeing in the cinema, worth buying on Blue-ray and worth lining up to see the sequel.
  61. May 27, 2014
    Just fresh after watching a blu-ray edition of this movie and I have to admit that I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've expected a stupid monsters vs. robots movie but this movie has a bigger meaning underneath it's (oh so!) polished shell. PR is long but you won't feel that for a momens because action/storytelling moments are perfectly intervened to keep you on the edge of your seat.Just fresh after watching a blu-ray edition of this movie and I have to admit that I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've expected a stupid monsters vs. robots movie but this movie has a bigger meaning underneath it's (oh so!) polished shell. PR is long but you won't feel that for a momens because action/storytelling moments are perfectly intervened to keep you on the edge of your seat. Absolutely worth your money. Expand
  62. Jul 28, 2014
    Görsel efektler şahane, konu biraz klasik gibi görünse de film kendini bağlamayı başarıyor ne zaman başladı ne zaman bitti diye düşünmeden güzel bir 2 saat geçirtiyor. Özellikle başrolü beğendim gelecekte parlama ihtimalini görüyorum. Anime ve görsel efekt severler mutlaka izlemeli.
  63. Nov 9, 2014
    Pacific Rim explodes with fantastical imagery, epic action sequences and irresistible fun while exposing emotion and balancing its otherwise average plot.
  64. Oct 6, 2014
    Tough to like. Seems more intended for children than well...anyone else. It's cool to watch super huge massive monsters fight super huge massive robots, because that's original. That pretty much is the extent of the plot. How innovative. We should all like this movie...because it is entirely practical when being attacked by huge monsters, to throw all our efforts into making robots toTough to like. Seems more intended for children than well...anyone else. It's cool to watch super huge massive monsters fight super huge massive robots, because that's original. That pretty much is the extent of the plot. How innovative. We should all like this movie...because it is entirely practical when being attacked by huge monsters, to throw all our efforts into making robots to fight them, because apparently as the human race, we decided that is the best thing to do. And we won't use our really effective weapons unless we are on the verge of death. None of our guys are even really all that good at fighting these things either. Oh look, the guy who played Hell-boy. Come on! Seriously? How just plain dumb does this have to get? The CGI was well done, but that is all...they tried with a lesser known cast that wasn't a total failure as far as acting and delivery but doesn't help the lack of structure. Fight scenes were still better than Godzilla's. But still, Never Again. Expand
  65. Sep 28, 2014
    No one should go into this movie expecting a flawless story because that`s not what this movie is about. This movie is about MONSTERS versus ROBOTS, enough said. Apart from the beautiful CGI and action scenes, this movie does surprise with some great characters that actually have depth and a story, especially Mako and the commanding officer, Stacker. Idris Elba delivers a brilliantNo one should go into this movie expecting a flawless story because that`s not what this movie is about. This movie is about MONSTERS versus ROBOTS, enough said. Apart from the beautiful CGI and action scenes, this movie does surprise with some great characters that actually have depth and a story, especially Mako and the commanding officer, Stacker. Idris Elba delivers a brilliant performance, making the viewing of Pacific Rim a better than expected movie. As long as you know what you're getting into, Pacific Rim should satisfy and even surprise. Expand
  66. Nov 12, 2014
    Pretty solid movie if you are just looking to sit back and enjoy some action. I have to admit, the geek in me comes out seeing the giant robots fighting giant monsters. When I saw the previews, I thought this could go very wrong or very right. I think it went very right. The movie is well done for what it is.
  67. Dec 5, 2014
    If you want to see a movie with very good special effects and lots of action of big things hitting big things, then your in luck. If you want a movie with an actual plot and visible humans for most of the movie, then this isn't for you. If it is not for you, I would not recommend it, but if you can stand no plot as long as you see giant robots fighting giant aliens, then you will be moreIf you want to see a movie with very good special effects and lots of action of big things hitting big things, then your in luck. If you want a movie with an actual plot and visible humans for most of the movie, then this isn't for you. If it is not for you, I would not recommend it, but if you can stand no plot as long as you see giant robots fighting giant aliens, then you will be more than satisfied. Afterword, you will say 'that movie was terrible,' then go look for the release date for the second one online. Expand
  68. Dec 22, 2014
    Lacking any actual storyline, whatsoever, but great fun and graphics. I think this was one of the worst stories ever, but it was very entertaining, the only thing you'll think back on was the epic battles. I think I'm being a little harsh on the storyline, because it was there and... I suppose, interesting... but not very engaging. It's good for a day you just don't care.
  69. Dec 22, 2014
    From Guillermo Del Toro comes a movie with stunning visual effects and make kids Masturbate from enjoyment ,Pacific Rim,Is a well done movie with a silly premise but it because of the stunning visual effects and amazing fight scene which makes this movie amazing and almost forgot this way better than Transformers:Age Of Extinction and transformers revenge of the Fallen.
  70. Feb 10, 2015
    What an insult to my intelligence!

What an insult to my intelligence!

The movie was the typical 'yee-haw' propoganda. At least 20 times did logic completely fail in this movie. The protagonists did not act like they were a part of the military as they disobeyed many times. The overall design of the mechs were extremely useless (why create mechs to engage in a fist fight with a creature rather than create an effective weapon to kill it?)

Absolutely awful. The only thing the movie had going for it was the CGI - the plot was made for children which is why it was so basic while ignoring a lot of realities in the world.

0/10 - I would NOT watch this again even if you snuck into my house, grabbed me by the nuts and slapped them with elastic bands.
  71. Mar 28, 2015
    In the wrong hands, ''Pacific Rim'' would've been a massive misfire. However, with visionary Guillermo del Toro at the helm, the result proves to be a satisfying blockbuster with great action, high stakes and likeable characters.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 15, 2013
    It is possible to applaud Pacific Rim for the efficacy of its business model while deploring the tale that has been engendered — long, loud, dark, and very wet. You might as well watch the birth of an elephant.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jul 12, 2013
    The Kaijus make zombies look like wusses, so at least the fights in this film are battles royal. But overload sets in early, and it all turns into battle boring.
    Pacific Rim made me marvel at the technology of movies, but never the magic of them.