Pacific Rim

7.5

1. Jul 16, 2013
    Giant monsters from the deep are destroying cities, but instead of just blowing them up from a distance, the world unites to build giant robots to engage in hand-to-hand combat. This is a cross between old-school Godzilla and a variation on Transformers, but to enjoy it you must be willing to accept director Guillermo del Toro's imagination. The effects are exceptional and the action isGiant monsters from the deep are destroying cities, but instead of just blowing them up from a distance, the world unites to build giant robots to engage in hand-to-hand combat. This is a cross between old-school Godzilla and a variation on Transformers, but to enjoy it you must be willing to accept director Guillermo del Toro's imagination. The effects are exceptional and the action is pretty cool (although sometimes confusing). The trite attempts at character involvement only serve as padding between the battles. This movie is all about the fights and del Toro's vision, so don't expect more and you'll dig it. (Stay thru the early credits for a punchline.) Expand
  2. Aug 27, 2015
    It's true that "Pacific Rim" is a child's film with big monsters and robots fighting each other; but acclaimed director Guillermo Del Toro manages to create a film with exciting energy and lively imagination, a movie truly for-your-eyes only.
  3. Jul 12, 2013
    Pacific Rim, WOW? At first, the Jaegers seem like the perfect deterrent for the Kaiju menace; but when the monsters start getting smarter and deadlier and Jaegers begin falling quicker than they can be rebuilt mankind finds itself on the brink of extinction. Our last hope lies with the desperate plan of Marshall Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba) and his handful of remaining Jaeger pilots,Pacific Rim, WOW? At first, the Jaegers seem like the perfect deterrent for the Kaiju menace; but when the monsters start getting smarter and deadlier and Jaegers begin falling quicker than they can be rebuilt mankind finds itself on the brink of extinction. Our last hope lies with the desperate plan of Marshall Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba) and his handful of remaining Jaeger pilots, including war-worn veteran Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) and rookie Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi), an unlikely pair who may prove to be the best pilot team the world has ever seen. We can make this short and easy: If the spectacle of big robots battling it out with big monsters is all you’re interested in, then Pacific Rim is going to be a five-star experience that you should wholly enjoy in the biggest IMAX 3D theater you can find (earplugs recommended). However, if you require a deeper story and mythos to sell you on all the spectacle? You will get plenty of mythos, but despite a parade of “cool moments,” a mishandled central storyline ultimately makes the experience a hollow one. Director Guillermo del Toro is known for his wonderful imagination and abilities as a filmmaker demonstrated in signature works like Pan’s Labyrinth and the Hellboy movies and Pacific Rim is alive and crackling with some of his best work. From the robot and monster designs, to the well-staged battle sequences and overall concept, Pacific Rim is something uniquely its own within the crowded genre of summer blockbusters. Best of all, there’s a pervading sense of fun and joy that the director has infused his passion project with; the goal is to entertain and entertain it does, for the most part (it does get cartoony, but that cartoon is still pretty fun). On the downside, there are plenty of moments that will indeed seem less like homages and more derivative copy of other films not necessarily even related to the “Kaiju/Mecha” sub-genre. See if you can catch those Independence Day and/or Deep Blue Sea moments and you’ll know the sort of “borrowing” I’m referring to. The script co-written by del Toro and Clash of the Titans scribe Travis Beacham is not impressive. The story is straightforward enough, but an abundance of sub-plots often makes it feel scattered-brained. The emotional core and character development are even more unfocused: this is supposedly Raleigh and Mako’s story we are being told and Hunnam and Kikuchi are both solid leads with solid chemistry but beyond a couple of superficial dramatic moments, there is no real conflict between our central characters, and no real arc for them to complete as individual characters. In short: our protagonists are often the least interesting parts of the film, which inevitably means a sort of detached viewing experience. Oddly enough it is Idris Elba’s Stacker Pentecost who is the most dynamic character in Pacific Rim, and seems to get the most complete and engaging character arc of the whole ensemble. Elba (by now well established for his talent to stand out even in bit roles see: Prometheus or Thor) walks away owning every one of the many scenes he’s in which is great for him, but is also clear indication that the writers are not driving the story with full control of the wheel. The sound design is awesome and by awesome I mean very, very, loud. Actual dialogue sometimes had a cavernous echo to it that made it hard to make out but whether that was just my theater or the movie itself, I can’t say for sure. This is definitely an IMAX experience to be had; but the post-converted 3D, while very well done, doesn’t feel as necessary. A 2D IMAX experience would be more than sufficient but if you are a big fan of the robot/monster stuff, the extra splurging will be worth it to you. On the whole, Pacific Rim has its creator to thank for elevating it above so many similar and forgettable action blockbusters, through sheer creativity, love and force of will. While the storyline and emotional core aren’t strong, the action and spectacle are, and del Toro builds his world well enough to create plenty of future opportunities for re-visits, spin-offs, multi-media projects and everything else fans (and movie studios) love in a good fanboy franchise. Expand
  4. Dec 6, 2013
    Surprisingly nowhere near as cheesy as the trailers made it look. It's an action packed spectacle that makes for one heck of a good watch. It clearly takes inspiration from the Saturday morning TV shows of old like the Power Rangers. Watching people in giant metal suits fighting giant monsters is a heck of a lot of fun. The movie even throws some goofy, comedic style moments to show youSurprisingly nowhere near as cheesy as the trailers made it look. It's an action packed spectacle that makes for one heck of a good watch. It clearly takes inspiration from the Saturday morning TV shows of old like the Power Rangers. Watching people in giant metal suits fighting giant monsters is a heck of a lot of fun. The movie even throws some goofy, comedic style moments to show you how self-aware it is. Overall though it does manage to (thankfully) stay serious. I really enjoyed the film and it is one that I would recommend to others. Expand
  5. Sep 15, 2013
    What it may lack in novel character development, "Pacific Rim" makes up for it with earnest passion in its subgenre and an irresistibly voracious undercurrent of levity. Though, I'd be remiss if I didn't also praise the incredibly satisfying set pieces and Idris Elba's starkly first-rate performance.
  6. Oct 4, 2013
    The great action sequences, which get ridiculous upon each one and less visible, can't make up for the horrible acting, stupid characters, and corniness that was frankly shockingly blatant. Its hard to enjoy a film when you have multiple 20 to 30 minute dull parts spaced throughout the movie
  7. Oct 13, 2013
    Gonna start off with the negatives Painfully generic and predictable story that you can call from a mile away. The acting is so-so and it does suffer from a few poor casting choices (Charlie Day anyone?).

That being said, The battle scenes are freaking fantastic. So incredibly well done, They are simply addicting to watch. That alone makes the film worth watching and I really wish that I had seen it in theaters in 3-D because it would have been a blast.

So overall, Thankfully the story is not a major focus but the battles are. For that alone, It's worth checking out because it can be rather enjoyable to watch.
  8. Jul 22, 2013
    When it comes to the fight scenes in this movie it's a 10 what makes it an 8 is some of the story and character elements don't all work. Overall it's Monsters vs Robots and with that it is pretty awesome. A-
  9. Nov 30, 2013
    It is an over the top feast of monsters and robots that is a visual splendor for the eyes. Exciting, action packed, and funny. To top it off, it also had a pretty cool score.
  10. Jun 15, 2014
    Pacific Rim is wooden, shallow and as artificial as a piece of plastic. But hey, it's a movie about giant robots fighting kaiju, so what do you expect. A few more non-digital effects would have nice. Still, Pacific Rim does what it says on the box with more style than the dire Transformers franchise.
  11. Aug 7, 2013
    Del Toro’s latest tentpole, watched in 3D format on IMAX screen, a substantial SFX Jarger Vs. Kaiju monolith which makes TRANSFORMER franchise pale in comparison. But the feeble storyline and unimaginative character-building drags the film into a scrape of torpor. especially after the seasonal actioners’ drumfire (after WHITE HOUSE DOWN 2013, 6/10 and FAST AND FURIOUS 6 2013. 6/10),Del Toro’s latest tentpole, watched in 3D format on IMAX screen, a substantial SFX Jarger Vs. Kaiju monolith which makes TRANSFORMER franchise pale in comparison. But the feeble storyline and unimaginative character-building drags the film into a scrape of torpor. especially after the seasonal actioners’ drumfire (after WHITE HOUSE DOWN 2013, 6/10 and FAST AND FURIOUS 6 2013. 6/10), PACIFIC RIM is the most costly one, and its red-hot accomplishment in the Chinese box office suggests a belated chance to break even its tepid reception in the North American domain, with its Japan opening this coming weekend, an approximate $400,000,000 worldwide turnover may green-light a sequel for its ardent followers.

The 3D effect surely doesn’t improve at all thanks to the murky palette of the raining night combat and underwater location, under the 3D monopoly (even more absurd there are 4D version available in theaters) at least in China, we have no access to the plain 2D type, which rumor says its rendition is much better in an IMAX screen. Dedicated to Japanese Tokusatsu films, Del Toro and his crew’s reconstruction and invention of genre is groundbreaking, an eye-opener with excellent technical scrupulousness, the bombarding sound effects are overwhelming as well as its awe-inspiring and heroic battle scenes.

There are some hiccups keep bugging me, an obvious one is that why on earth there is no conventional weaponry assistance engaging in the doomsday battle, not even as the cannon fodder; another one is the last moment sword stunt, saving the best for the last may not work here, it is only for practicability, but an ill-considered one. Hunnam doesn’t possess enough charisma to carry on the film on his shoulder and his platonic relation with Kikuchi hasn’t been dug deep enough to steal the limelight. Other actors are standard equipments, Elba is the commander whose background story desperately needs a prequel. Day is the comic relief and Perlman is the egomaniac laughing-stock.

Del Toro’s Hollywood odyssey has been rougher than one had presumed, PACIFIC RIM is a qualified film in the sense of it is an updated product for the genre criterion (let’s wait and see how GODZILLA will handle the challenge next year), but it doesn’t live up to Del Toro’s talent if one familiars with his earlier films, notably his homespun masterpiece PAN’S LABYRINTH (2006, 9/10), where mythology and reality have been miraculously criss-crossed and not only our eyes are being opened, our hearts are also being filled with passion and vibration.
  12. Aug 24, 2014
    Two hours of awesome! There's always room for more about the Jaegers and their crews, but the movie delivers what you'd expect it to: giant machines fighting huge monsters. [proper review coming later]
  13. Aug 23, 2013
    Surprising, is what I'd say. It's far from original, and heavily convoluted, but it makes up in it's effects and comical tone by Charlie Day. Overall, it stands higher than expected.
  14. Jan 10, 2014
    As an action and visual effects blockbuster this is aces with monsters and technology galore clashing and fighting to the death in order to save or destroy. Where it falls down, predictably, is with the human element. Nearly all scenes involving real actors (and I say it some what tongue in cheek) are badly acted with the performers required to say unspeakable dialogue. In fact the scriptAs an action and visual effects blockbuster this is aces with monsters and technology galore clashing and fighting to the death in order to save or destroy. Where it falls down, predictably, is with the human element. Nearly all scenes involving real actors (and I say it some what tongue in cheek) are badly acted with the performers required to say unspeakable dialogue. In fact the script is so awful that it raises many an unintentional laugh. There is also way too much unnecessary exposition. The sound, however, is amazingly good. Expand
  15. Jun 3, 2014
    When Pacific Rim focuses on its generic characters and story it’s a mediocre film. However, what saves this movie and makes it worth watching are the visuals. The presentation in this movie is fantastic and has some fun action that never gets too excessive and leaves you wanting more. Had the film’s action not been as good as it was this film would’ve been a 5/10 but because the visualsWhen Pacific Rim focuses on its generic characters and story it’s a mediocre film. However, what saves this movie and makes it worth watching are the visuals. The presentation in this movie is fantastic and has some fun action that never gets too excessive and leaves you wanting more. Had the film’s action not been as good as it was this film would’ve been a 5/10 but because the visuals were as cool as they were it’s a 6/10. I’m usually not big on dumb action movies but this is one blockbuster where I was bored when there was no action as opposed to the other way around. At the end of the day though this film is only memorable for its visuals. You won’t remember any of the characters or plot elements as they are all bland and generic but you will remember the cool visuals and fight scenes. If you are cool with a generic action film with cool visuals then definitely check this film out. Expand
  16. Oct 27, 2013
    Pacific Rim was surprisingly one of the best movies I've seen this year. I expected an entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, but a movie void of any quality acting or plot. Boy was I wrong. While it was a very entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, it had a very interesting storyline with solid plot development, granted a little brief. The acting was alsoPacific Rim was surprisingly one of the best movies I've seen this year. I expected an entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, but a movie void of any quality acting or plot. Boy was I wrong. While it was a very entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, it had a very interesting storyline with solid plot development, granted a little brief. The acting was also up to par and the character development was fantastic, giving life and depth to characters that seem at first to be a bit superficial. There were also some nice cameos by actors like Charlie Day and Ron Perlman, who though I don't like, had a cool role. Overall, this movie takes a substantial amount of suspended disbelief but I think most people who like cool action movies will really enjoy it. Expand
  17. Aug 27, 2013
    Making a film because of the B movies of yesteryear doesn't sound like a solid reason for making a film and maybe that's why Pacific Rim lacks depth and flair, because its too busy trying to remind you of what came before. When a portal opens under the Pacific Ocean and monsters begin flooding through it, humanity creates giant mechs to fight them but when this tactic begins to fail,Making a film because of the B movies of yesteryear doesn't sound like a solid reason for making a film and maybe that's why Pacific Rim lacks depth and flair, because its too busy trying to remind you of what came before. When a portal opens under the Pacific Ocean and monsters begin flooding through it, humanity creates giant mechs to fight them but when this tactic begins to fail, humanity devise one last ditch effort to destroy the portal for good. Pacific Rim knows what it is and it does play to its strengths but those strengths are only really one strength, its visuals and the near perfect CGI incorporated into the movie. Don't get me wrong, the 3D is redundant and really makes watching the film difficult but in 2D Pacific Rim is terrific to look at with Director Guillermo Del Toro really understanding how to frame his action as to show the scale and wonder these mechs (refereed to as Jaegers) and monsters (Kaijus) evoke. It;s the best aspect of the movie which means the action light 2nd act is thoroughly monotonous and often times meaningless. The plot is generic which is surprising considering the films interesting premise. The writing is equally predictable with emotional scenes failing to leave a mark because they feel reused. It's a well acted film and Idris Elba continues to prove he is a gifted actor who can display many emotions at once but he is stuck with scowl inducing dialogue that is hard to swallow. Charlie Hunam is an interesting choice for the hero and while his sullen yet worldly performance as Raleigh is good it isn't great and his casting feels safe when Pacific Rim is an out there premise and film. Ultimately the film needs to take more risks in its endeavour to surprise viewers and it feels like Del Toro took a step back and played it a little too safe. Expand
  18. Dec 2, 2013
    I went into this with high hopes. Perhaps expecting too much from it. But I really did find it a bit dull most of the time. Sure, the special effects and the action scenes were extremely cool but in the end, this is really just another generic B-rate monster vs monster movie, except it has a huge budget and allot of big names attached.

Characters are cliched and tired. Plot is

Characters are cliched and tired. Plot is uninspired and done before. To quote someone I heard on Youtube (I can't remember who) "Pacific Rim is the Power Rangers for adults" and he was right, except this had believable effects and not as cheezy acting.

Overall:
    Regardless of my gripes, the effects were phenomenal! If you can go into this movie just wanting action and epic fight scenes, then this is the movie for you. Just, don't expect anything else.
  19. Jul 12, 2013
    This movie is what I'd consider the "Transformers" movie that never made. The feel of this really big. It's really made on such a large scale. It's a fun movie that everyone will enjoy. As far as storytelling goes, it's decent. But lets face it, no one's going to watch this movie for the story. Yet, there are characters that are really good like Idris Elba and Charlie Day. There are othersThis movie is what I'd consider the "Transformers" movie that never made. The feel of this really big. It's really made on such a large scale. It's a fun movie that everyone will enjoy. As far as storytelling goes, it's decent. But lets face it, no one's going to watch this movie for the story. Yet, there are characters that are really good like Idris Elba and Charlie Day. There are others that are also pretty good like Charlie Hunnam. And then there are those that you honestly just don't care about. But the ginormous fight scenes are visually breathtaking. You'll feel like you're actually in the fight. Overall, it's a fun, exciting and visual masterpiece. Expand
  20. Nov 13, 2014
    "Pacific Rim" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

"Pacific Rim" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

The Good: Truly epic large scale battles with amazing special effects. I was worried about how the Kaitju (the giant monsters) would look because in the previews they looked rubbery and somewhat fake ... but they looked much better and far more realistic in the finished product. If you grew up watching Godzilla films then you will have a geekgasm while watching this film as it is everything you ever dreamed of in a monster movie. Interesting characters that were more fleshed out than I thought they would be. While the lead character wasn't the best, he was picked up by a good supporting cast. Idris Elba was especially great and stole scenes every time he appeared.

The Bad: The drama is a little uneven. While some scenes were great and well done, a few came across as cheesier than I'd like. Charlie Day had some decent moments as a doctor who studies the Kaiju, but other scenes were forced for comedic value. I could have done without Burn Gorman's character entirely. I don't mind some comedy relief, but not when it is crammed into a film at odd moments.
  21. Dec 3, 2013
    "Pacific Rim" has perhaps some of the greatest action I have ever seen. The use of 3-D is fantastic, the CGI and visuals were stunning, the acting is brilliant and both the story and script are intelligently crafted. This truly is a intense, epic, visually-stunning spectacle.
  22. Mar 28, 2015
    In the wrong hands, ''Pacific Rim'' would've been a massive misfire. However, with visionary Guillermo del Toro at the helm, the result proves to be a satisfying blockbuster with great action, high stakes and likeable characters.
  23. Nov 29, 2014
    Guillermo Del Toro's admittedly stunning visuals and rousing action save this motion picture from a wholly dumb story and some over-the-top characters.
  24. Jul 13, 2013
    As brilliant and great as the film was, there were still plenty of flaws; Charlie Hunnam's lame performance along with his generic character, the film's (probably intentional) cheesiness in the latter half, the occasional appearance of bad dialogue and some unintentionally hilarious moments. Those flaws aside, Pacific Rim was great, loud fun filled with plenty of eye-candy, a brilliantAs brilliant and great as the film was, there were still plenty of flaws; Charlie Hunnam's lame performance along with his generic character, the film's (probably intentional) cheesiness in the latter half, the occasional appearance of bad dialogue and some unintentionally hilarious moments. Those flaws aside, Pacific Rim was great, loud fun filled with plenty of eye-candy, a brilliant performance by Idris Elba and great direction. If it weren't for the flaws, the film would have deserved a perfect score. Expand
  25. Nov 9, 2014
    Pacific Rim explodes with fantastical imagery, epic action sequences and irresistible fun while exposing emotion and balancing its otherwise average plot.
  26. Apr 15, 2014
    Pacific Rim is a great movie.It`s kind of like Transformers without all the unnecessary BS. It`s Godzilla vs human controlled BOTS.It`s a fun movie to watch.
  27. Jul 20, 2013
    There lies our inner child who will squeal when giant mecha heroically arrives to fend off gargantuan tower size monster in an epic battle that will surely destroy anything around them, but we really don't care about collateral damage. Pacific Rim is a homage to that forgotten child and ultimately the mecha genre. I didn't expect Japanese inspired Godzilla-esque scenes, where it was madeThere lies our inner child who will squeal when giant mecha heroically arrives to fend off gargantuan tower size monster in an epic battle that will surely destroy anything around them, but we really don't care about collateral damage. Pacific Rim is a homage to that forgotten child and ultimately the mecha genre. I didn't expect Japanese inspired Godzilla-esque scenes, where it was made from cardboard miniature and people in suit back in the old days, will be realized into hyper stylish modern day action movie. Granted, it's still marred by a few typical disaster movie cliches, but it will make your eyes open wide and mouth agape just seeing the colorful metal knight versus relentless organic behemoth as your childhood is relived once again.

There hasn't been anything quiet like it visually. Color palette is glossy and bright, the motion of the gigantic being, either it's steel or flesh, is appropriately smooth. The scale of the encounters is immense, often showcasing stormy sea and dystopian night life to emphasis the clash. Use of 3D effect highlights it even more, its camera angle shows the threat of Kaiju, the monsters, in a daunting perspective. These walking antagonists deliver thrill light years ahead compared to usual monster type on their television counterparts. It makes the appearance of Jaegar, the robots, even more exciting and the battle that much better. There's just no shortage of colossal mayhem in Pacific Rim.

Story takes a bleak contemporary setting where Kaiju attack gradually increases, however this is unlike gritty nuance of apocalypse, it still has some fun and humor. Humanity's answer for the Kaiju infestation is Jaegars. tall stoic robotic entities which take two persons to pilot by synchronizing their thoughts. With incredibly fast paced screenplay, the movie pulls audience to invest in the story. Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy fame takes the role of the troubled protagonist Raleigh Becket. He's clean cut with emotional baggage of losing his brother. In a way it makes him a compatible with Mako Mori, played by Rinko Kikuchi, the teen girl from Babel.

The dynamic between them is the majority of the story, which arguable takes a bit longer than expected. They do relatively fine, although there's not much chemistry to be had. Charlie Day and Ron Perlman are present, mostly for comedy relief. It appears that the movie would like to introduce larger-than-life characters, much like those in anime. Some scenes don't really work since it's trapped in predictable cycle, such as some ridiculous death scenes or the speech before final battle.

Credit must go to Guillermo Del Toro for creating a movie he's truly passionate about. Mecha genre is far from mainstream, especially in blockbuster, but it now has a decent representation in the form of Pacific Rim. Some silliness or occasional slow scenes aside, it's a fresh entertaining rendition of boys mecha fantasy and an especially irresistibly captivating action movie as a whole.

Rate 8/10
  28. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Pacific Rim wasn't a terrible movie. It was sort of slow in my perspective, but the last thirty minutes of the picture were pretty entertaining.
  29. May 25, 2014
    This is one of those films you just have to watch on the big screen to have the full experience it's just awesome. The movie has had the best visuals of the year so far overtaking Star Trek Into Darkness it was so colorful i could see that just from the trailers. It has an amazing cast Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman. Guillermo del Toro definitely showsThis is one of those films you just have to watch on the big screen to have the full experience it's just awesome. The movie has had the best visuals of the year so far overtaking Star Trek Into Darkness it was so colorful i could see that just from the trailers. It has an amazing cast Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman. Guillermo del Toro definitely shows his directing skills again with some amazing shots. You can see just how huge the Kaiju and the robots are you really get a sense of the scale those things. Had some great dialog with some witty light sense humor that you can expect in del Toro's recent movies. Also i guess you could call this original but this kind of thing has been seen many times before just del toro pulls it off like a champ.

Overall i give it a 7.0 for sure buying this on blu ray and watching it multiple times. Another film to add to my del Toro movie collection. So cool that Pacific rim 2 is going to happen so we can see more of these awesome fights.
  30. Oct 15, 2013
    The mega summer blockbuster "Pacific Rim" delivers plenty of eye-popping action and battle sequences galore, but there is not enough beneath the pyrotechnics to leave a lasting impression. The very notion of giant robots trading blows with monsters across the world is likely to induce as many groans as it is cheers. Those cynical of the premise, though, may find themselves somewhatThe mega summer blockbuster "Pacific Rim" delivers plenty of eye-popping action and battle sequences galore, but there is not enough beneath the pyrotechnics to leave a lasting impression. The very notion of giant robots trading blows with monsters across the world is likely to induce as many groans as it is cheers. Those cynical of the premise, though, may find themselves somewhat interested that director Guillermo del Toro is bringing his signature flourish to "Pacific Rim," an ode to Japanese monster cinema. Kaiju originates as a Japanese word roughly translating as “strange monster,” but more pertinently here, Kaiju is the name for this entire genre of sci-fi, where massive creatures step on buildings and threaten to destroy civilization.

The future of the world is threatened by an alien force, which unexpectedly, comes not from outer space, but from the center of the earth. In an attempt to stave off the seemingly inevitable domination of these creatures and the destruction of mankind as we know it, an army of giant robots manned by elite commander Stacker Pentecost (Idris Elba), and his crack team including renegade officer Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam), and rookie soldier Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi), head to the edge of the Pacific Ocean for the mother of all showdowns.

"Pacific Rim" will fully satisfy the summer blockbuster demographic and sell lots of popcorn, but the repetitive visual fireworks eventually runs thin over the course of 131 minutes. The films set pieces, in particular the destruction of Tokyo, and the climatic battle at the earth's core between the man-made monsters and their non-human adversaries, are undeniably impressive. The action is gigantic, with elaborate CG-animation staging showdowns in pouring rain or at the bottom of the ocean, delivering on sophisticated movement that’s utterly convincing. However, it stumbles in its attempts to inject spirit into the proceedings, and interactions and dialogue between the central cast of humans provides nothing to the experience. That being said, if you're a fan of big, loud popcorn movies, "Pacific Rim" is unquestionably a cut above the gnarled heaps of metal that was "Transformers" (2007).
  31. Feb 9, 2014
    Pacific Rim is very fun, but it's also too silly for its own good. I will admit however, that it's probably one of the best and most intelligent giant monster movies around. The film is undeniably visual stunning. The fact that it missed out on a visual effects Oscar nod is almost criminal. Fights between the kaju and yagers are huge, meticulously detailed, and about as far fetched asPacific Rim is very fun, but it's also too silly for its own good. I will admit however, that it's probably one of the best and most intelligent giant monster movies around. The film is undeniably visual stunning. The fact that it missed out on a visual effects Oscar nod is almost criminal. Fights between the kaju and yagers are huge, meticulously detailed, and about as far fetched as you can get. It's entertaining to say the least, but I wish Del Toro had gone in for a more realistic approach. I'm not saying that it doesn't look real. It does look very real, but the style is cartoonish and outlandish. There are real artistic flourishes here in small bursts, and the supporting characters are also reasonably enjoyable, especially Charlie Day, but the movie is still only a small fragment of what could have been. The actor in the leading role gives an unconvincing and clichéd performance, and the screenplay only occasionally hints at anything truly intellectual. The music also seemed pretty cheesey to me. All and all it's pretty decent, but not anywhere close to a masterwork. Expand
  32. Sep 10, 2013
    I expected better from Guillermo del Toro. How could he possibly have thought that this would work? But maybe he was looking for something different. The movie did earn hugely, so maybe money was what he was looking for this time. But seriously, one would expect better things from the guy who brought us Pan's Labyrinth. The one is for the cinematography, because it looked like they hadI expected better from Guillermo del Toro. How could he possibly have thought that this would work? But maybe he was looking for something different. The movie did earn hugely, so maybe money was what he was looking for this time. But seriously, one would expect better things from the guy who brought us Pan's Labyrinth. The one is for the cinematography, because it looked like they had worked hard on it. The story, characters, ending, and pretty much everything else was below par. Very disappointing. Expand
  33. Aug 5, 2013
    Absolutely loved this movie. Excellent special effects, amazing action, and true fun all throughout. Only issue was the plot was a bit pointless but it personally didn't bother me because who honestly goes to a movie like Pacific Rim and expects and Academy award winning story? Pacific Rim was just plain awesome. Giant monsters vs giant robots, what more can you ask for? Ever wanna see aAbsolutely loved this movie. Excellent special effects, amazing action, and true fun all throughout. Only issue was the plot was a bit pointless but it personally didn't bother me because who honestly goes to a movie like Pacific Rim and expects and Academy award winning story? Pacific Rim was just plain awesome. Giant monsters vs giant robots, what more can you ask for? Ever wanna see a barge (really large boat) be used as a weapon? GO SEE Pacific Rim! You're guaranteed a great time. Let's hope the studio's give the green light for the sequel Del Toro already has in mind! 9.5/10 Expand
  34. Jul 16, 2013
    Sure, it's cheesy and predictable. Yes, it's style over substance. But heck..what you are seeing is a friggin live action Robot Anime, coming to life, done with a 'Godzilla' sized budget. It's a great thing to look at and you have to commend the studio for even green lighting this thing. The action sequences are great, and Del Toro give this film his incredible attention to detail. It's aSure, it's cheesy and predictable. Yes, it's style over substance. But heck..what you are seeing is a friggin live action Robot Anime, coming to life, done with a 'Godzilla' sized budget. It's a great thing to look at and you have to commend the studio for even green lighting this thing. The action sequences are great, and Del Toro give this film his incredible attention to detail. It's a wonderful set up, but the bad thing is that when you are just being immersed in this world, the film ends. Other than that, a bold 'original film that deserves to succeed in weeks to come. C'mon people! A lot of folks complain that there isn't enough original material in blockbuster films these days. Give this one your support! Expand
  35. Jul 14, 2013
    This movie is full of cliché, but every element of it is on the right place. The robots and monsters look realistic. Overall the movie is decent if you do not expect a twisted storyline and deep characters.
  36. Nov 29, 2013
    Pacific Rim explodes with fantastical imagery, sillybutt action sequences and irresistable fun while exposing emotion and balancing its otherwise average plot.
  37. Dec 8, 2013
    Outstanding visuals. Really impressive. However I need something else. I know fans of these type of movies-juvenile stories will love it. But really, there´s nothing else apart from the stunning visual effects. People say this is the way Transformers should have been done. And I know the director is great. Whatever. I´ve not seen those ones. I need a story and character development forOutstanding visuals. Really impressive. However I need something else. I know fans of these type of movies-juvenile stories will love it. But really, there´s nothing else apart from the stunning visual effects. People say this is the way Transformers should have been done. And I know the director is great. Whatever. I´ve not seen those ones. I need a story and character development for crying out loud! I was really bored, I almost fell asleep (of course I was watching it at night but I always do) and it never happens to me. A 5 out of 10 for the visuals. If not it would obviously be a 0. But it is what it is and it has its public. Expand
  38. Jul 14, 2013
    BIG GIANT FIGHTING ROBOTS!!!. That is all this movie has so if that first sentence does not excite you then pass on this one. If that first sentence made you jump up and down in your seat like a 10 year old with a bladder problem then enjoy the ride.
  39. Jul 14, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a pretty decent summer blockbuster flick about giant robots fight over Kaiju monsters in the city. Guillermo del Toro takes his creative idea of making a big gigantic monsters and robots that references to B-movies and Japanese television series into a perspective way. The movie takes place in the futuristic world of big monsters from beneath the ocean (known as Pacific Rim)Pacific Rim is a pretty decent summer blockbuster flick about giant robots fight over Kaiju monsters in the city. Guillermo del Toro takes his creative idea of making a big gigantic monsters and robots that references to B-movies and Japanese television series into a perspective way. The movie takes place in the futuristic world of big monsters from beneath the ocean (known as Pacific Rim) start to demolish the city in each continent and the government plans to make gigantic robots to stop all Kaiju beasts and to save all the citizens in the world. So they hire recruits for joining up to fight over monsters, and they need to find the way to stop all monsters that keeps going up from the ocean and to destruct the Pacific Rim's hole. The characters are very memorable in this movie and it's nowhere very cliché like most characters from these terrible Transformer series, but they stay strong and likable. The robots fight over monsters are nice to look at and they have cool scenes where they keep going to smash every monsters with their missiles, fists, and dodging. The visuals and the effects are astounding and nice digital sets of making a monsters and robots to be realistic and very bright. Pacific Rim is a fun popcorn flick and makes a very creative idea that reminds us for watching Godzilla, Power Rangers, and other big gigantic monster flicks to enjoy. Thumb Up. Expand
  40. Oct 21, 2013
    8.5/10.

Pros: Unless you hate action films you will not be disappointed. The action/visuals are beyond impressive. This is like Avengers/Transformers/Reel Steal times 100. The script for the main outline is great. Cons: Acting is less then impressive, doable but no Emmy or Oscar any time soon. The deeper the plot get the more the outcome comes out to be bad. I would be shocked if
    8.5/10.

I would be shocked if you didn't like it because everyone in the theater was going crazy when they were fighting. Is it cliched, yeah but what film today isn't. The Conjuring was unoriginal and cliched but got like an 8.4. The only film in a good minute that wasn't cliched is probably Spring Breakers and that's a like it or hate film. Terrific monsters, robots, CGI, and sound effects.
    Yes this movie is LOUD and I mean it but unless you're just plan boring you won't enjoy it.

Whoever said this will only appeal to 8-14 males lied. My mom (41), brother (22), girlfriend (16), her sisters (19/12), just a wide range of action movie lovers.

3D, I know what you're thinking, Oh God another 3D movie that doesn't need to be or won't be good in it. Shut up the first MINUTE I regretted not seeing it in 3D.

Unless you like action movies, you might hate it. But this is probably one of the top 5 of 2013.
  41. Jul 12, 2013
    Hope it does well at the box office. I enjoyed it, there was a lot of entertaining fight sequences, but they were a little marred by the overuse of rain effects. Either way, solid summer flick.
  42. Jul 12, 2013
    "Pacific Rim" is a spectacle for the eyes and ears. I mean this movie is a visual treat from well detailed robot and monster designs to high over the top, but well choreographed action sequences and massive collateral damage. The world that Guillermo del Toro creates is imaginative and his character designs are mesmerizing and complex. The sound design and the sheer force of the films"Pacific Rim" is a spectacle for the eyes and ears. I mean this movie is a visual treat from well detailed robot and monster designs to high over the top, but well choreographed action sequences and massive collateral damage. The world that Guillermo del Toro creates is imaginative and his character designs are mesmerizing and complex. The sound design and the sheer force of the films score captivates you into a ride of sight and sound that pleases all your senses. From the metal grinding noise of the robots to the fleshy and almost beast like cry the monsters make, this film has you feeling like you are right there in the middle of the action.

While the movie is mostly is a visual treat, it doesn’t forget about its characters and there humanity. The film isn’t all bells and whistles, it really does have some really nice character moments in its script, which are about overcoming fear, moving on and trust. These moments make us care for the events that are unfolding. However, the script isn’t all serious business, it knows when to have fun. Some of these moments can be a bit too campy though and some of the emotional moments feel forced. The film sometimes even becomes contrived, mainly towards the end. However, director Guillermo del Toro balances things pretty well.

The actors in this film do a pretty good job, but the only real standout is Idris Elba as Stacker Pentecost.This character is sort of the leader of the resistance and Elba commands attention every second on screen. Charlie Hunnam is pretty good as Raleigh Becket, a Jaeger pilot, who left the resistance after a traumatic incident. I wish they showed more of his inner battle, it would have invested us into the story more. Rinko Kikuchi as Mako Mori is really hit or miss. The scenes where she is more reserved are good, but when she tries to emote, it can be awkward at times. The rest of the cast is pretty solid and the supporting cast is pretty good, especially Charlie Day, who brings some of the lighter moments to the film.

Overall “Pacific Rim" as a giant robot versus giant monster movie is pretty awesome. The visuals, sound, and well directed action are all top-notch. They provide a treat for the eyes like never before. Even the 3D is spectacular, the best I’ve seen since “Avatar," it really absorbs you into del Toro’s imaginative world. The story, mainly the human element, is a bit weaker as it can feel contrived at times. It keeps us involved, but never takes us to the next level of emotional satisfaction. I give it 4/5, a blockbuster with some of the coolest and most imaginative action that I have seen this year.
  43. Jul 15, 2013
    It's not often we get a treat like this. A solid story laid the foundation for one of the coolest, most thrilling movie experiences I've had in a long whole. The action set pieces are on such a scale and really get your blood pumping. The brawls look fantastic and really brutal. Watching colossal aliens being punched repeatedly in the face by these metal beasts is just amazing, But it'sIt's not often we get a treat like this. A solid story laid the foundation for one of the coolest, most thrilling movie experiences I've had in a long whole. The action set pieces are on such a scale and really get your blood pumping. The brawls look fantastic and really brutal. Watching colossal aliens being punched repeatedly in the face by these metal beasts is just amazing, But it's not all about the action. The characters are given a lot of attention too. They're by no means 2D and they all have backstories and their own motivations. A masterpiece really. Expand
  44. Oct 4, 2013
    An sf movie about giant monsters and giant robots fighting it out what could go wrong, well a lot. Story is bad and boring to say the least and some things make no sense (walls don't work against humans and other small vermin let alone against monsters the size of buildings). Robots look bad and so do monsters, anyway the movie was a waste of my time.
  45. Feb 21, 2014
    Wow, just wow. I give a 10 rating once every 5 yrs or so and this rates that big time! This film is Transformers vs Godzillas on steroids, amped up to the max. The intensity is phenomenal, you'll wish the entire film was just mega-sized fight scenes.Yes, you can criticize this and that about the story, plot, etc but you'll be missing the entire point of the film. Enjoy this for what it is,Wow, just wow. I give a 10 rating once every 5 yrs or so and this rates that big time! This film is Transformers vs Godzillas on steroids, amped up to the max. The intensity is phenomenal, you'll wish the entire film was just mega-sized fight scenes.Yes, you can criticize this and that about the story, plot, etc but you'll be missing the entire point of the film. Enjoy this for what it is, and it's the best at what it does. Expand
  46. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific Rim is a 2013 science fiction film directed by Guillermo del Toro with Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi and Rob Perlman.
    In a future world the earth was attacked by the giant alien monsters called Kaiju, emerged on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean through an interdimensional portal. Because, to destroy one of those monsters many lives are sacrificed, it was decided to build giant robots called Jaegers controlled by two pilots. Initially, the robots are able to get the better of the monsters, but the latter seem to adapt to new weapons and that pushes humanity to the brink of disaster. The last remaining Jaegers are taken in Hong Kong and the former pilot Jaeger, Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) is persuaded to return to the team he left after losing his brother, also a pilot, clashing against a Kaiju. Here begins the last attack to save humanity.
    Although it seems not to follow the rules of the director, Pacific Rim is a product of Del Toro and we can see it in the prologue, which serves to immerggerci in the world we are told the story and also in the memories of Mako (Rinko Kikuchi) a lot well done.
    The film is inspired by the anime of the 70s and also to those of today (especially Neo Genesis Evangelion).
    The plot is not very original but it is by no means trivial or obvious. The photography of the film is well done as well as special effects (featuring beautiful as are the Kaiju and Jaegers).
    The fight scenes between the giants are well made and it is clear that they were made in anime style (such as special moves of Jaegers).
    The film also manages to entertain with humor and never forced anything vulgar or exaggerated.
    It will not be a masterpiece but Guillermo was able to create a great film
  47. Dec 22, 2014
    From Guillermo Del Toro comes a movie with stunning visual effects and make kids Masturbate from enjoyment ,Pacific Rim,Is a well done movie with a silly premise but it because of the stunning visual effects and amazing fight scene which makes this movie amazing and almost forgot this way better than Transformers:Age Of Extinction and transformers revenge of the Fallen.
  48. May 17, 2014
    Porn for Godzilla fans, really the only why to describe Del Toro's extraordinary best of a machine "Pacific Rim", sadly im not that big a fan of Giant Mecha robot rights with aliens BUT when i wanna watch giant mecha robot fights with aliens i recommend Pacific Rim.

Rating: Supermechalienfigterrobotpornforgodzillafans out of 10
  49. Jul 16, 2013
    Visually stunning and well acted, Pacific Rim succeeds in being an entertaining Summer blockbuster, despite the uneven pacing and cliche script. It certainly isn't up to par with some of del Toro's other work, but it certainly is a lot of fun!
  50. Jul 21, 2013
    A loud cliched ridiculous movie plagiarizing many other Sci Fi films including War Of The Worlds, Independence Day & Transformers. The actors are simply awful. No character development whatsoever. The CGI is so awful that you can't even tell who is fighting who. It is obvious that phantom critics are shilling for this movie which is a complete turkey as they have no other reviews. IA loud cliched ridiculous movie plagiarizing many other Sci Fi films including War Of The Worlds, Independence Day & Transformers. The actors are simply awful. No character development whatsoever. The CGI is so awful that you can't even tell who is fighting who. It is obvious that phantom critics are shilling for this movie which is a complete turkey as they have no other reviews. I saw this sorry excuse for a film opening night in front of a half empty theater. Avoid at all costs. Despite the heavy PR marketing my gut tells me this will be a bomb at the box office. Expand
  51. Aug 12, 2013
    As never seen a film del Toro before, I can say I was a little frustrated with this film, since noticing how much he is super esteemed by critics, I was expecting a smart movie, innovative, and that is not attached to both special effects see this film was almost the same as watching a transformers only with much larger robots and other enemies, the script is simple, a bit lazy and noAs never seen a film del Toro before, I can say I was a little frustrated with this film, since noticing how much he is super esteemed by critics, I was expecting a smart movie, innovative, and that is not attached to both special effects see this film was almost the same as watching a transformers only with much larger robots and other enemies, the script is simple, a bit lazy and no surprising twists, but the battles are not surprising, they put hallucinatory packed in rhythm a trail hesitant when they start do not stop this, it seems that the director had an outbreak of concept and noted that the plot was boring and clogged the action scenes (in this case it worked masterfully). Expand
  52. Jul 16, 2013
    The best summer blockbuster, one of the best visual picture of all time! It also has engaging but predictable plot, Ok characters. Must see in IMAX, good job Del Toro
  53. Jul 19, 2013
    Beyond the amazing special effects and epic giant robot vs. giant monster battles, which there is a good amount of, there isn't much else to say about this film. So-so acting and a predictable and questionable at times plot, which isn't really a bad thing, except it's made worse by rather dull characters and some forced dialogues and conflicts. I saw this in IMAX and didn't regret itBeyond the amazing special effects and epic giant robot vs. giant monster battles, which there is a good amount of, there isn't much else to say about this film. So-so acting and a predictable and questionable at times plot, which isn't really a bad thing, except it's made worse by rather dull characters and some forced dialogues and conflicts. I saw this in IMAX and didn't regret it because it was awesome to see the epic fight scenes, but not much else impressed me about the film. Expand
  54. Feb 22, 2014
    I love Japanese mecha anime from Macross to Orguss to Evangelion and back and I never thought I'd ever be bored senseless by a film which purports to be a love letter to giant mecha and Kaiju cinema. Everything is just so bloody dull; framing and cinematography, ESPECIALLY the Jaeger designs. The clichés though! I should have brought a checklist with me, Pacific Rim had so much cheese I'mI love Japanese mecha anime from Macross to Orguss to Evangelion and back and I never thought I'd ever be bored senseless by a film which purports to be a love letter to giant mecha and Kaiju cinema. Everything is just so bloody dull; framing and cinematography, ESPECIALLY the Jaeger designs. The clichés though! I should have brought a checklist with me, Pacific Rim had so much cheese I'm practically lactose intolerant. Expand
  55. Jul 16, 2013
    6 of 10 from my point of view. This movie reminds me old Japaneese films of Godzilla, I liked them back in 90th. Plot is quite simple and overused alien invasion, even from the ocean, its ok. But special effects makes me sad 90% of fights are blured to heavy fog, you almost cant see anything through smoke and darkness. Also this movie is lacking details and actions. Just try to compare6 of 10 from my point of view. This movie reminds me old Japaneese films of Godzilla, I liked them back in 90th. Plot is quite simple and overused alien invasion, even from the ocean, its ok. But special effects makes me sad 90% of fights are blured to heavy fog, you almost cant see anything through smoke and darkness. Also this movie is lacking details and actions. Just try to compare recent Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. But 3D effects are very nice, I almost felt snow falling on my head, plus one point for that. So total result is 7 from 10, worth watching one time I guess. Expand
  56. Dec 12, 2013
    The visual effects keep it going rather than aid the story, but I guess what makes it worth the watch is the guilty pleasure of seeing monsters and robots beat the crap out of each other.
  57. Oct 27, 2013
    The movie's plot is nothing extraordinary. The acting is competent; it gets the job done. The battle scenes and visuals, however, were amazing. And having an awesome filmmaker like Guillermo del Toro directing surely did help. A great popcorn flick, but nothing more than that.
  58. Jul 30, 2013
    Pacific Rim is... Exciting. It's new and unique, but isn't groundbreaking, not by any stretch, it is really good though. It's not written incredibly well, but well nonetheless. The highlight of the film is the exciting action and the development of the story line; the incredible 3D special effects and the exciting action mix to make something very fun and enjoyable. The character buildingPacific Rim is... Exciting. It's new and unique, but isn't groundbreaking, not by any stretch, it is really good though. It's not written incredibly well, but well nonetheless. The highlight of the film is the exciting action and the development of the story line; the incredible 3D special effects and the exciting action mix to make something very fun and enjoyable. The character building is done brilliantly and the acting is good, so you get really attached to the characters as you see there memories in the 'drift' and you experience their emotions and what they have to go through with the crazy and destructive 'Kaiju War'. In a nut-shell this film is very fun and enjoyable, but also gripping and fairly emotional. So I give this film a... 85/100! Expand
  59. Jul 14, 2013
    I was pleasantly entertained. Pacific Rim stands as a testament to how far advanced Hollywood is these days, as so little of this movie was actually filmed in real locations around the world. The execution to that end was superb very high quality a la Transformers but with a bit more humanity (which makes sense, seeing how they're basically oversized Iron Man outfits with two pilots).I was pleasantly entertained. Pacific Rim stands as a testament to how far advanced Hollywood is these days, as so little of this movie was actually filmed in real locations around the world. The execution to that end was superb very high quality a la Transformers but with a bit more humanity (which makes sense, seeing how they're basically oversized Iron Man outfits with two pilots). There was a big opportunity to really flesh out a high quality plot and drive character development with the time they spent on both, but I never felt like they ever really get emotionally invested in either of those points to where the I cared who lives and dies. But as the movie wrapped up, I simply said to those around me "that was actually pretty good", and left it at that. There's not much else to say or expect. But I definitely saw higher potential, one that would have set this movie in a much higher league, and that opportunity was unfortunately missed. Expand
  60. Jul 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific rim may have been the only movie I wanted to see this summer; heck maybe this year! So the time has finally come, and I am overjoyed. Yes I do like anime and kaiju films, but I only watch anime films now and I rarely see a kaiju film again now a days. So that tells you where I'm coming from. Anyways, Pacific does best what the other blockbusters do but aren't quite there yet. This film gives you all its got, there's no cliffhanger or any major loose ends; I do think man of steel is real close in that does world building, but that film is definitely getting a sequel. Back to Pacific rim, it gives very cool action sequences; the best being the Hong Kong battle, and tries to slow the action for the better. It is "logical" after all that giant creatures and mechs should move at this pace, so therefor the action is easy to follow even in the dark. So obviously the visuals is the high point, the middle ground is the cast. No one is terrible, or even bad; in fact Idris is the best actor in this film, but the scientist and Ron Perlman are a bit distracting. (Disclaimer: Ron Perlman is awesome). With the basic film critique out of the way, I can now just say what I liked and disliked; because I appreciate a film more when I can acknowledge its pros and cons. I liked the action, the design of the Jaegers and Kaijus, that characters aren't too sophisticated, and the sheer size of it makes it a masterpiece in eye candy. However, I disliked some of the characters; the scientists in particular and the jerk from Australia, that the Russian and Chinese Jaegers get the short strip and get defeated too quickly; I loved their designs the most, and some of the logic is either nonsensical or just plain silly. Expand
  61. Jul 12, 2013
    Devoid of emotional essence, unpredictable plot elements, quality performances and stand-out characters, Pacific Rim is saved by its stunning, visually spectacular colossal fight scenes, its fast, thrilling pace and well-constructed mythology.
  62. May 23, 2015
    This looked like Power Rangers to me. Guys getting in massive suits to essentially box giant monsters? Stupid. Howver, I was quite surprised by not only how cool the fight scenes were (great CGI, too) but also how good and how emotional the story was. The concept is silly, but it really isn't anything like Power Rangers. One of my favorite parts: using a giant ship as a melee weapon. MyThis looked like Power Rangers to me. Guys getting in massive suits to essentially box giant monsters? Stupid. Howver, I was quite surprised by not only how cool the fight scenes were (great CGI, too) but also how good and how emotional the story was. The concept is silly, but it really isn't anything like Power Rangers. One of my favorite parts: using a giant ship as a melee weapon. My score: 7.7/10 (to get specific). If you're a fan of sci-fi movies and big robots, watch it! Expand
  63. Jun 13, 2014
    My expectations of a visually playful blockbuster were pretty spot on. But the movie is also longer than I expected, and tends to expect the viewer to be entertained by the impressiveness of the visuals alone. The story had a more humanistic premise than usually seen in action flicks, but I'm not sure how much subtext there was. But I guess there could be something clever hidden in theMy expectations of a visually playful blockbuster were pretty spot on. But the movie is also longer than I expected, and tends to expect the viewer to be entertained by the impressiveness of the visuals alone. The story had a more humanistic premise than usually seen in action flicks, but I'm not sure how much subtext there was. But I guess there could be something clever hidden in the many symbols. I'm just not sure if it's worth bothering. Expand
  64. Jul 15, 2013
    It's a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters. What do you expect? It's a generic action movie at heart. You'll be able to predict the ending of the movie about 10 minutes in because it follows the exact blueprint of all action movies. But that's not a bad thing. The movie is full of awesome action, comic relief (Charlie Day... need I say more?) and generic pump-up speeches. AndIt's a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters. What do you expect? It's a generic action movie at heart. You'll be able to predict the ending of the movie about 10 minutes in because it follows the exact blueprint of all action movies. But that's not a bad thing. The movie is full of awesome action, comic relief (Charlie Day... need I say more?) and generic pump-up speeches. And it's all awesome. It's a fun movie from beginning to end and has some of the coolest looking and sounding fights of any movie I've seen to date. Expand
  65. Oct 6, 2014
    Tough to like. Seems more intended for children than well...anyone else. It's cool to watch super huge massive monsters fight super huge massive robots, because that's original. That pretty much is the extent of the plot. How innovative. We should all like this movie...because it is entirely practical when being attacked by huge monsters, to throw all our efforts into making robots toTough to like. Seems more intended for children than well...anyone else. It's cool to watch super huge massive monsters fight super huge massive robots, because that's original. That pretty much is the extent of the plot. How innovative. We should all like this movie...because it is entirely practical when being attacked by huge monsters, to throw all our efforts into making robots to fight them, because apparently as the human race, we decided that is the best thing to do. And we won't use our really effective weapons unless we are on the verge of death. None of our guys are even really all that good at fighting these things either. Oh look, the guy who played Hell-boy. Come on! Seriously? How just plain dumb does this have to get? The CGI was well done, but that is all...they tried with a lesser known cast that wasn't a total failure as far as acting and delivery but doesn't help the lack of structure. Fight scenes were still better than Godzilla's. But still, Never Again. Expand
  66. May 2, 2014
    A spectacular adventure of giant robots fighting giant monsters from deep beneath the Pacific Ocean. The plot is a little boring, but the action sequences are what make this movie an amazing groundbreaking CGI film so entertaining that you'll want to rewind it.
  67. Feb 11, 2014
    2013’s most surprisingly awesome film was Pacific Rim. How did I miss this? Well…

Even though it was directed by Guillermo del Toro, who has to date made only excellent films, the trailers and the marketing for Pacific Rim did not do the film justice. There was only a bare-bones connection linking del Toro’s star power to this film. For the average person who may know del Toro’s other films, Pan’s Labyrinth and Hellboy 1 & 2, but not his name, the little “directed by” box at the bottom of the promotional poster would not have rung any bells, at least not in the same way a giant “From the Director of…” promotion would have. Still, I know del Toro by name and I still didn’t realize this was his film. Wayyy after it was already out of theatres I watched it on a plane. It was great.

Not only did the marketing not exploit any of the film’s star power, it didn’t even really give us any idea what it was about. The trailer just showed huge metal warriors battling Godzilla-like creatures, much in the fashion of recent mindless action movies such as Battleship (I did actually enjoy Battleship) or anything from the recent Transformers franchise. I hypothesis that this complete disconnect must have been intentional. In this way Pacific Rim attracted the same audience as the previously mentioned movies. A huge audience base that is easily swayed and turned on by special effects, battle scenes, and stuff blowing up, but they are potentially turned off by something that could be considered “cinema,” or too arty. This audience needed to be brought in from the beginning.

As for the more savvy movie-goers, although turned off by the meat head marketing, they are generally more inquisitive than the average Transformers fan, and so it seems the producers relied on these movie-goer’s inquisitive nature. Since it’s an actual good film, the savvy will find their way to it eventually. This film’s crappy marketing was actually a ploy to lure multiple demographics in subliminal ways, and thus mucho bank was made. Just a hypothesis.

FYI: According to Slashfilm.com, Transformers2 was the highest grossing, most negatively rated film in history, so getting the Transformers audience was just good business. The fact that the movie is also good is just a rare and wonderful freak, but not accidental, occurrence for the Transformers audience.

What makes Pacific Rim so great? Using a montage

sequence and voiceover, in the first five minutes of the film we learn all about the world that Earth has become. Monster Kaijus have invaded from a dimension shifting portal in the ocean, humans have built fighting machines called Jaegers to combat the Kaijus, and this on-going threat, the conflict between the two entities has eventually just becomes a routine part of common culture. Then suddenly things change.

The set designs are spectacular. Hong Kong is specially tailored here to fit a Kaiju bashing society. The encampments where the machinery and pilots are based is a gloomy complex that looks like the inside of a submarine. Being a big budget action film, Pacific Rim relies heavily on computer-generated graphics and spectacular special effects for its visual telling. Truthfully I have no idea how any of these action scenes would have been shot as almost every one is an epic between giant monsters, earthy and not. But it is not the visuals alone that make this a great movie. Transformers has great visuals.

It is the script that is so awesome. Co-written by Travis Beachman and del Toro, it is a sci-fi monster movie, but it is the nuances that make the film so much fun to watch. All the intricacies of the world. For instance, two people whose brain functions combine in a process called “the drift” pilot Jaegers. Pilots’ ability to drift effectively in unison is what creates great pilots. The drift is probably the single coolest thing about this film, and the idea is used later for purposes even crazier.

The Kaijus become so powerful that mankind is forced into a final standoff using all the remaining Jaegers against multiple super strong Kaijus. The prospects for humanity’s survival look grim. In final act of the film a spectacular twist takes place thanks to some unlikely scientists, and the fate of all humanity hangs on their wild hunch, the functioning of the aging military machinery, and the drift between the last two standing Jaeger pilots. I wish I had seen this film in theatres.

Let's see if Pacific Rim 2 ever makes it from the hard-drive on Travis Beachman's desk to the screen. This time, I'd give it a chance.
  68. Jul 16, 2013
    A slight disappointment for me, Pacific Rim wasn't the ultimate blockbuster it seemed to be in the trailers. Don't get me wrong, the battles were absolutely spectacular, but there weren't just as many of them. Around half a movie is dedicated to its plot and it sucks. It's illogical and predictable, the characters are stereotyped and sometimes outright annoying (say, the two scientists).A slight disappointment for me, Pacific Rim wasn't the ultimate blockbuster it seemed to be in the trailers. Don't get me wrong, the battles were absolutely spectacular, but there weren't just as many of them. Around half a movie is dedicated to its plot and it sucks. It's illogical and predictable, the characters are stereotyped and sometimes outright annoying (say, the two scientists). Normally I try not to think about the plot too much during such blockbusters, but again, in the Pacific Rim there is just too much screentime devoted to it. To compare, the recent Man of Steel also didn't boast an exactly flawless plot, but action was neatly mixed with the story, a major scene ocurring every 10 minutes or so. So in my opinion, Rim is a good summer blockbuster, but it could've been more. Expand
  69. Oct 17, 2013
    As a child of the 90s I loved TMNT, robots, ninjas, and more. Seeing a well funded and crafted film with giant robots fighting monsters is great. Had I been born 15-20 years later this film would be the greatest thing I'd have seen.

As an adult I still enjoyed watching this. It did take me back, but it's difficult to enjoy it entirely without noticing it's flaws. It has a few but it doesn't stop one enjoyment. They just make you want to question the crew, e.g. why not use swords straight away. Forget the blood theories, the ease of using a sword makes complete sense when punching and pummelling a kaiju causes property destruction and increased chances of death for pilots.

Aside from that and some ordinary acting in parts it's a fun film. See it if you have the chance but don't go out of your way.
  70. Jul 12, 2013
    Between the miserable script, the cardboard acting(Except for Edris), the mish mash action sequences. It seemed as though you could barely see what was heppening in any fight. Either the Rain, the darkness, or the ocean kept messing up the fights. I found myself looking way to hard to say "What just happened there" "How" and "What?" The monsters were hardly relatable as was the storyBetween the miserable script, the cardboard acting(Except for Edris), the mish mash action sequences. It seemed as though you could barely see what was heppening in any fight. Either the Rain, the darkness, or the ocean kept messing up the fights. I found myself looking way to hard to say "What just happened there" "How" and "What?" The monsters were hardly relatable as was the story itself. Great for 13 year olds. I love action movies and monster movies but at one point you could really care less who was getting crushed, stomped, or killed because you really dont care. Expand
  71. Nov 17, 2014
    This is an awesome movie! It features plenty of action and very good special effects. A must watch if you like Sci-fi movies! It also has quite an interesting plot. This is definitely good to watch even in 2-D as I watched it in 2-D and it still feels good even for a 2-D movie.
  72. Oct 1, 2013
    All summer long I've been raring for a summer blockbuster that’s not based on some previously established material… enter 'Pacific Rim'; and and it delivers on multiple levels. Guillermo Del Toro gives the Kaiju sub-genre a sloppy wet kiss (in spectacular fashion) in this sci-fi monster movie. From Godzilla to Gundam Wing, the spirit of Japanese monster and mecha fiction flows throughAll summer long I've been raring for a summer blockbuster that’s not based on some previously established material… enter 'Pacific Rim'; and and it delivers on multiple levels. Guillermo Del Toro gives the Kaiju sub-genre a sloppy wet kiss (in spectacular fashion) in this sci-fi monster movie. From Godzilla to Gundam Wing, the spirit of Japanese monster and mecha fiction flows through this movie like a breath of fresh air (or torrential rains), without it losing its sense of originality. Destructive monsters, known as Kaijus, have emerged from an interdimensional portal on the floor of the Pacific Ocean. In resistance, the humans have developed giant robots, called Jaegers, which are piloted by two or more individuals in order share the mental load of operating such large, complex machinery. This leads to the drift, a brilliant concept, and the means by which the pilots ‘mind meld’ (so to speak) to operate the mechas together, and potentially do more. Set many years into this war, Del Toro constructs a world that feels lived in and the designs for the kaijus and jaegers were truly brilliant. Any attempt he makes to develop his characters (which is for the most part successful in my opinion) is a bonus for this spectacle. And what a spectacle it was… I haven’t been this awestruck by big, loud, action scenes in a while. These sensational battle sequences wouldn't have been possible without the bombastic visual effect and sound mix; and not to mention the exceptionally creative, and dangerous sound designs. Yes, it may have only skimmed the surface of some its dramatic potential, but I went into this for a good time, and I got something inventive and visually spectacular as well. Del Toro is a true crafts man, and he crafts the most entertaining blockbuster to hit the theaters this summer. Expand
  73. Nov 14, 2013
    one of the dumbest movies i've ever seen... way too much machine on monster fighting and a completely cliched plot... yeah, great graphics but that's not much of a draw when the story is just stupid...
  74. Jan 29, 2014
    Del Toro's vision is as grand and elaborate as ever, as the Jaegars and Kaijus indulge in guilty techno-porn. Alas, Beacham's story is painfully routine (with a few flashes of interesting here and there) but then again, we do get to see Idris Elba bellow "today we are canceling the apocalypse!".
  75. May 25, 2014
    This film completely defied my expectations! What i expected to be a passible action flick ended up being a non stop thrill ride with cooler action than i could have imagined! Do yourself a favor and go watch this one right now!
  76. Jan 4, 2014
    watching a bunch of giant robots fighting monsters is awesome. There is
    no denying that. Pacific Rim embodies this notion. Pacific Rim is The
    robot vs monster movie. That being said, everything else about it is pretty damn terrible. The actors are all trying way too hard and it seems that everyone involved was having a hard time taking the subject matter seriously. Maybe because
    watching a bunch of giant robots fighting monsters is awesome. There is
    no denying that. Pacific Rim embodies this notion. Pacific Rim is The
    robot vs monster movie. That being said, everything else about it is
    pretty damn terrible. The actors are all trying way too hard and it
    seems that everyone involved was having a hard time taking the subject
    matter seriously. Maybe because everything in this movie has been done
    before. The whole plot is ripped from every aliens attack movie.
    "Aliens attack and humans put aside their petty differences to work
    together to destroy the attackers". Its so cliché its ridiculous. I was
    constantly having flash backs to other movies. Most notably would be of
    course Godzilla, Transformers and also Independence day. Even the
    ending reeked of Indep Day. The black market for kaiju parts was
    somewhat interesting but it was all way too Hollywood. The scientist's
    were also vaguely interesting but watching them interact and grow as
    characters made me want to puke. Jackson Teller just looks like he
    hopped out of Sons of Anarchy and into a robot suit. Again, robots
    fighting monsters will always be cool and the special effects are top
    notch but everything else is unintentionally cheesy and cliché, its
    very much similar to the Transformers series.
  77. Jul 21, 2013
    Easily the best action movie this year. Pacific Rim does something actually unexpected: Its really good, and it keeps you invested. Guillermo Del Toro take relativity unknown actors, mixed in with some more better known ones and makes this massive, visually enticing film that only leaves you wishing and/or wanting more. Will the sequel come? That'll be something for Warner Bros. to decide,Easily the best action movie this year. Pacific Rim does something actually unexpected: Its really good, and it keeps you invested. Guillermo Del Toro take relativity unknown actors, mixed in with some more better known ones and makes this massive, visually enticing film that only leaves you wishing and/or wanting more. Will the sequel come? That'll be something for Warner Bros. to decide, but if they want another hit, green light the sequel and let Del Toro do his thing. This movie more than makes up for the disaster horror movie he released earlier in the year, in "Mama". Nobody was expecting this to be what it has become, so its easily a major surprise. I wouldn't go so far as to say, "best movie of the year" (that, personally for me, still lies with "The Place Beyond The Pines"). Its certainly best Action Movie of the year, and biggest surprise of the year. Worth seeing. Very fun adventure. Expand
  78. Dec 28, 2013
    I couldn't help but feel like Pacific Rim should have given me some deeper dramatic elements to chew on, but maybe I'm just missing the point. That having been said, you can do a whole lot worse if you're looking for a brainless, enjoyable action extravaganza.
  79. Jul 12, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a one of a kind movie: a 100% commitment to its genre and target audience with absolutely no apologies for its material. Exceptionally well crafted, with full saturation of neon colors, rain and goo. Director Del Toro probably takes the uber geek fan film into a territory the general audience might not want to go. The battle scenes deliver, and the performances from thePacific Rim is a one of a kind movie: a 100% commitment to its genre and target audience with absolutely no apologies for its material. Exceptionally well crafted, with full saturation of neon colors, rain and goo. Director Del Toro probably takes the uber geek fan film into a territory the general audience might not want to go. The battle scenes deliver, and the performances from the actors deliver maximum dedication to the material. My bet is that the film will find a devoted audience, and especially inspire young kids. This is far closer to the Godzilla 1998 film should have been. The executive who greenlit this film was fired, so be grateful that this blank check geek epic got made. Expand
  80. Aug 31, 2015
    Bottom line: 2 points for pretty graphics and 3 for achieving what it set out to do (that is, to be a bad movie with pretty graphics).

Normally, I spend a paragraph or so outlining the plot of a movie but in the case of Pacific Rim, a sentence will suffice: the world (with America at the helm) makes giant robots to fend off aliens from another dimension. I have said this before but

I have said this before but I’ll say it again: I will not be stirred by pretty graphics. For me to be a fan of a movie, it had better use some of its $200 million dollar budget on something other than CGI. Pacific Rim did not. I will admit that the graphics are really pretty and the camera work is such that you can parse what is going on. But, if I may speak frankly, it frustrates me that this movie is meeting with so much success. What am I missing?

I hear from fan-boys, that Pacific Rim harkens back to Godzilla movies. I get it that this is supposed to be a silly movie about giant robots, aliens, and pretty graphics but let’s not lose perspective, people. This is a bad movie. The dialog and plot are nonexistent. The patriotism in the movie hits you over the head. If I were going to turn this into a drinking game, I’d take a shot for every shot that makes you say ‘Yeah, go ’murica!” Warning, you might die from alcohol poisoning.

The movie gets so preposterous at times that it is funny. For example, I imagine the planning meeting when building one of the giant robots going like this:
    “Guys, alright, we have a nuclear reactor powering this robot and a switch to turn it into a nuclear bomb. (Reactors and bombs are essentially the same, right?) We have a plasma gun arm. We have a jet engine in the elbow to make a ‘rocket punch’. What else to we need?”
    “A giant sword.”
    “Yes! You never know when the robot might need that!”

On some level, this movie depresses me. It is a mindless kaleidoscope of CGI but for what ends? Is this just a distraction from our miserable lives? What are we missing that Pacific Rim provides? Perhaps it is that we feel the need for escape. Maybe the social, political, and economic realities we face are too depressing, so we need a generic, positive, flashy escape.

I wonder if we can read Pacific Rim from an environmental position. Let’s say the aliens represent pollution and fossil fuels. The kaiju (aliens) resemble dinosaurs and they come from beneath the ocean floor (like oil) and threaten Mankind. Their blue, oily blood is a corrosive waste let in their path. We need the assistance of nuclear energy to defeat the monsters. Granted, the hero denotes the nuclear reactor to destroy the aliens. That’s not how reactors work; you can’t just flip a switch and make another Hiroshima. So this type of solution might make you think nuclear energy is a fearful thing but it does rescue the world. It is indeed the reactor, not the bomb, which saves humanity.

I do appreciate a silly action movie that isn’t trying to be anything but a silly action movie. But just because a movie is good at being mediocre isn’t reason to give it anything higher than a mediocre score. If Pacific Rim was a food it would be really bad junk food. Substitute whatever floats your boat: a double Baconator from Wendy’s or a XXL Grilled Stuff Burrito from Taco Bell or a vat of nacho cheese or whatever. If you are going to go see this, don’t. Don’t go see this please, maybe if enough people abstain better movies will come out next year. Though, we may be a bit late. To extend the food analogy, you know how when you are eating tasty junk food you say “Oh man, this is so bad but so good!” Pacific Rim is kinda like that...but without the good.
  81. Jul 13, 2013
    Rarely does a movie get everything right. The story is interesting and playful. The characters are dynamic, and fun, and a little silly at times, but fleshed out enough to be believable people you can empathize, respect, and in one case fear a little. However, the best part is that this film understand and get's what it its. It isn't afraid to admit what it is, and how essentiallyRarely does a movie get everything right. The story is interesting and playful. The characters are dynamic, and fun, and a little silly at times, but fleshed out enough to be believable people you can empathize, respect, and in one case fear a little. However, the best part is that this film understand and get's what it its. It isn't afraid to admit what it is, and how essentially ridiculous the premise is, so unlike most movies it doesn't waste most of it's time trying to explain how it isn't what it really is, and dedicates it's resources to amazing fights and great character moments. Half of this film is just straight up monster battles. I'm giving this a 10/10 not because I think it is one of the best movies ever made or anything like that, but because I honestly can't think of a single way to improve this movie. Expand
  82. Aug 8, 2013
    An amazing visual ride with a heart and soul, unlike many many blockbusters.

The visuals alone are incredible, it's not just about making it look "realistic" but also about making it visually pleasing as well! The colors and the lighting effects were so beautiful and vibrant, an absolute delight for the eyes, and I didn't even see it in IMAX. The story and characters are pretty basic
    An amazing visual ride with a heart and soul, unlike many many blockbusters.

The story and characters are pretty basic so you shouldn't see this movie if those are your highest priorities, but it's done well enough as to not be insulting to the audience and gets the movie going. The thing I really appreciated in this movie is that there are no "bad guy" character ruining all the pace and the fun, it's just people trying to survive and everyone doing their best against the big monsters, simple as that!

What made this movie work above all for me is the tone, it knows how to be serious and tense when it needs to, but it never forgets that the story is ridiculous and knows not to take itself too seriously, again unlike MANY blockbusters lately. I also loved the positivity, again unlike all our current "dark" blockbusters, it's such a breath of fresh air to go see a movie that doesn't leave you depressed at the end that I just had to commend Pacific Rim for that!
  83. Oct 23, 2013
    [7.2] Pacific Rim knows exactly what it is at all times, and embraces its childish nature with a great passion. Never before has a mindless action movie been so thoughtful in that it is aware that is doesn't have to be. Go to hell logic.
  84. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After hearing lots of good things about Pacific Rim from Rotten Tomatoes, IMDB, and more, I was expecting to walk out of the theater ready to text my friends recommending they see it. I have to say that I did the very opposite. Not only was I disappointed with the film, it had many scenes leaving me unsure of what just happened.

After 18 minutes of the film catching us up to present day, we finally learn the film’s title, Pacific Rim, just in case someone in the theater wasn't sure. Massive creatures known as Kaiju have managed to make their way to earth and are wiping out entire cities at a time. The only thing able to kill them is a Jaeger which uses the same concept as the movie Real Steel, (fighter robots controlled by humans) only they are much bigger and take nine helicopters to carry.

The Kaiju are much more advanced than first considered, and are arriving on earth in stages. The higher the stage, the more advanced and powerful the creature is. The highest stage reached in Pacific Rim is a stage five. Along with the Kaiju being just flat out creepy, we learn that they also shoot their eerie blue blood out of their mouths causing whatever it hits to fall apart and basically disintegrate.

As they continue to get smarter and stronger, they are wrecking the Jaegers; it is up to Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnan) and Mako Mori (Rinko Kikuchi) to stop them. As they are about to go into battle, Dr. Newton Geiszler (Charlie Day) introduces a plan that could save the rest of the world, and kill off all of the Kaiju, permanently.

Pacific Rim officially proved that long is not always better, as the 131 minute film had more back-story and irrelevant content, than meaningful scenes. I felt that the film was rushed, and just as I began to understand one scene, they would cut to another. After watching the film, I realized that it was really more about the CGI (Computer-Generated Imagery) editors, then the actors. Without them, Pacific Rim would've been nothing. Director Guillermo del Toro, had a great idea for a movie, but could have made Pacific Rim overall much better.
  85. Jul 26, 2013
    Absolutely one of my favorite movies of the summer. Probably the best big-budget robot-vs-godzilla (c'mon..you know that's what this is) movie that will ever be made. Every twist and device in the movie is a complete rip-off of something else, but it's so damned FUN that you can't help to like it...unless you are allergic to good times. As someone who enjoyed a little (ok...a lot of)Absolutely one of my favorite movies of the summer. Probably the best big-budget robot-vs-godzilla (c'mon..you know that's what this is) movie that will ever be made. Every twist and device in the movie is a complete rip-off of something else, but it's so damned FUN that you can't help to like it...unless you are allergic to good times. As someone who enjoyed a little (ok...a lot of) Voltron back in the day, the "sword" scene almost had me jumping out of my seat. If you like robots and giant monsters, you love this movie. If not, I am sure there is some Scandinavian neo-realist retrospective playing somewhere. Expand
  86. Jun 7, 2014
    If there is one thing I love about a movie is when it's self aware and knows the kind of feeling is trying to get across, and that is exactly what Pacific Rim does.

With not much mingling around the movie gives you exactly what you paid for, see giant robots fight giant monsters and that is what you get; it's not trying to beat you over the head with a overly complex story or trying to be deeper than it should be; it's like a roller coaster, you ride it to have fun and feel the rush, no more.

I am annoyed by a few things like the forced romance and some unnecessary scenes that add absolutely nothing to the movie; but if you are looking for a fun movie to watch I am sure you will enjoy this one.
  87. Jul 29, 2013
    Watched this film with my young daughter including 3D and D-Box. Hugely enjoyable with great action and fun. Plot is fairly thin but this is just another "alien/robots" film so didn't expect much more anyway. Highly recommended if you enjoy sci-fi but go an watch it very loud and in the pitch black!!
  88. Jul 13, 2013
    This movie was pretty great. Definitely worth watching if you like seeing giant robots punch giant monsters. The action is pretty good and pretty consistent throughout, with a little break in the middle for the requisite human stuff. Fortunately, even the human stuff has been kept pretty minimal here, no deeper than anything you'd see in any of the classic Godzilla movies. There's theThis movie was pretty great. Definitely worth watching if you like seeing giant robots punch giant monsters. The action is pretty good and pretty consistent throughout, with a little break in the middle for the requisite human stuff. Fortunately, even the human stuff has been kept pretty minimal here, no deeper than anything you'd see in any of the classic Godzilla movies. There's the traditional "rivalry", a (very thankfully) tiny bit of romance, some short parent moments, and some very light flash-backing, but overall, they did the right thing and really made the "human" part of the movie a minor player to the fighting.

TLDR: You're not going to find anything deep here, it's strictly movie monster bang-em-up, and if you're trying to find anything else here, you're dumb.
  89. LTR
    Nov 16, 2013
    This is a great monster movie. The story is great, the characters are good, the action is great and the monsters are creative. This movie is a great way to show that monster movies are still great.
  90. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The film Pacific Rim begins with some background information. We are informed that deep beneath the Pacific Ocean a rift through time and space opened up and gigantic creatures named Kaiju began to emerge from the ocean's depths. The Kaiju begin began to attack populated areas and from the start it appears that mankind does not stand a chance against these terrible creatures. In response the countries of the world pool their resources and create giant mechanical robots to fight against the Kaiju. These robots known as Jaegers are controlled by two pilots who fuse their neural centrals so that they can share the mental load that is needed to control the Jaegers. But as the war continues on for over ten years, the Jaegers begin to lose and the Kaiju are only becoming stronger. Former pilot Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) is called back into the Jaeger program for a last attempt to take out the Kaiju by the four remaining Jaegers. And if they fail their objective, it will mean the end of human race. But there is much about the Kaiju that humans still do not know.
    The film is helmed by Mexican director Guillermo Del Toro, known for directing Pan's Labyrinth (2006) and the Hellboy series. In Pacific Rim he shows all the talent he has in the past. The film can appeal to a wide audience and yet at its heart is very simple. Pacific Rim at its core is a love letter to japanese monster movies. Visually it is amazing, the special effects are pulled off quite well and you can really feel the size and weight of the Jaegers and the Kaiju. Del Toro also tosses in details that really flesh out the environment, such as acknowledgment of a group who are considered "Kaiju Groupies". By adding little details like that it makes the film's world all the more real.
    The screenplay (written by Del Toro and Travis Beacham) is well done and the characters are all very diverse and memorable. The best performance is done by Idris Elba as the leader of the Jaeger program. Going into the film I expected his performance not to be very notable but he broke the stereotype of a standard army commander and generally surprised me with his talent. Another great character is a pilot portrayed by Rinko Kikuchi, who gives a very heartfelt performance as a pilot with a tragic backstory that really brings to life the war between the humans and the Kaiju. Its just another detail that increases how immersive an environment Del Toro creates with this film. Not far into the movie I generally believed in the film's universe that included characters who acted like real people as well as machines and monsters beyond our wildest imaginations.
    But like every film Pacific Rim is not perfect and it contains flaws. Such is with an aforementioned "Kaiju Groupie" portrayed by Charlie Day. His character struck a really annoying nerve with me and I didn't enjoy the moments when he was on screen. But even with that said, his character is still realistic, its just not a person I'd like to meet in real life. The only other notable flaw I can mention is that soundtrack was fine and all but was rather repetitive. But despite its flaws I believe Del Toro once again created an incredibly immersive, action heavy, summer blockbuster that is not likely to be forgotten in the coming years.
  91. Jul 18, 2013
    Not bad, but really, this is designed for 10 year old boys who find Godzilla movies mesmerising. Del Toro is unapologetic here about what he is doing, which is basically giving you as many giant robots slugging it out with giant monsters as you can conceivably squeeze into a movie. It sounded like a bit of fun beforehand, but in the end, I just found it noisy, too repetitive and a bitNot bad, but really, this is designed for 10 year old boys who find Godzilla movies mesmerising. Del Toro is unapologetic here about what he is doing, which is basically giving you as many giant robots slugging it out with giant monsters as you can conceivably squeeze into a movie. It sounded like a bit of fun beforehand, but in the end, I just found it noisy, too repetitive and a bit unrewarding. Script, characterisation and dialogue are strictly for kiddies, and the 3D was nothing special either. As an Australian, I have to say I laughed a bit at the stereotyping of the Aussie jaegermeisters who were basically portrayed as borderline psychotics with vague homoerotic issues issues that they simply couldn't articulate except through tongue tied rage and interpersonal violence. Though, come to think of it, pretty well all the jaegermeisters fell into that category. I suppose tearing the heads off giant lizards that don't say anything does require a certain psychological predisposition towards random violence. Anyway, just a popcorn movie (largely aimed at the Asian market). I hope Del Toro does well out of it but he is a much, much better director than this movie would indicate to the casual viewer. Expand
  92. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie was great. While it is not perfect, it is still better then many of the critics say it is. The movie moved right along, the cast was great and the graphics for this type of movie are outstanding. No spoilers, the ending was good to and it did not try to force room for a sequel. My only problem was a lack of fight scenes, but not to such an extent that it was ever slow or boring.This movie was great. While it is not perfect, it is still better then many of the critics say it is. The movie moved right along, the cast was great and the graphics for this type of movie are outstanding. No spoilers, the ending was good to and it did not try to force room for a sequel. My only problem was a lack of fight scenes, but not to such an extent that it was ever slow or boring. A must watch for summer 2013. Expand
  93. Jul 19, 2013
    Con unos magníficos efectos 3D, la película se hace disfrutar. En algunos momentos es predecible, pero es muy entretenida si a uno le gusta la acción y la ciencia ficción.
  94. Aug 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Really enjoyed this movie. had low expectations going in but left very satisfied. loved that they were not afraid of killing of characters. would have been more effective if Raleigh died at the end though, saving humanity. Also failed in the humor category. but loved the action and the character development. Expand
  95. Dec 31, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a movie to be experienced on a huge screen and in 3D. It doesn't have the best acting or writing, but the overall story is awesome and the action and visual effects are amazing. It doesn't seem like a del Toro movie, even though it has creatures and giant robots. Because it doesn't have the best writing, it focuses more on the action and visual content, so the poor writingPacific Rim is a movie to be experienced on a huge screen and in 3D. It doesn't have the best acting or writing, but the overall story is awesome and the action and visual effects are amazing. It doesn't seem like a del Toro movie, even though it has creatures and giant robots. Because it doesn't have the best writing, it focuses more on the action and visual content, so the poor writing doesn't feel as bad.

Pacific Rim gets 7.4/10
  96. Oct 8, 2013
    The movie story and story development are excellent, as well as the CGI. Only big thing wrong with the movie is the: Generic Movie Hero #4623 aka Raleigh Becket (main character) thrown in this universe to solve its problems which are solvable in only cliché means and ways as in most of the movies today. And there is the lack of distance between events as everything seems like its piled onThe movie story and story development are excellent, as well as the CGI. Only big thing wrong with the movie is the: Generic Movie Hero #4623 aka Raleigh Becket (main character) thrown in this universe to solve its problems which are solvable in only cliché means and ways as in most of the movies today. And there is the lack of distance between events as everything seems like its piled on top of each other and glued together so it wont separate. Camera man decided to film every action scene with Zoom on 200%, and movie physics is sometimes unrealistic.

And there is a constant question: If they have all the ranged weapons and melee weapons why don't they use them at the start of the battle and not in the most critical time? All that partially or mostly fades away (dependent on the public) as the movie action, special effects and sometimes a bad-ass scene or a moment takes place. Overall the movie is great and you should watch it.
  97. Oct 17, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a really interesting and unique movie. The battles between the robots and the monsters are freakin amazing. This is an amazing movie to watch in 3D. The story is pretty predictable, but their are some funny moments. Overall Score=75/100
  98. Jul 12, 2013
    My inner child exploded from glee watching this movie. It delivered on its premise in spades while still showing a surprising amount of heart. The battles are epic, the CGI is stunning, and the content between the fights drives the film better than I could ever have hoped for. This is the movie of the summer, no doubt.
  99. Jul 18, 2013
    Dumb story. ...right we build robots to fight monsters instead of just inventing really good bombs or missiles. If you can get over some of the plot ridiculousness, the action scenes are fun, acting just okay, script pretty juvenile, etc. I was mildly entertained, but was expecting a little more. I left feeling like the good reviews from the critics were the result of a little gradeDumb story. ...right we build robots to fight monsters instead of just inventing really good bombs or missiles. If you can get over some of the plot ridiculousness, the action scenes are fun, acting just okay, script pretty juvenile, etc. I was mildly entertained, but was expecting a little more. I left feeling like the good reviews from the critics were the result of a little grade inflation due to the number of truly terrible movies currently on the market. Expand
  100. Aug 22, 2013
    When I went to see Pacific Rim I went in with the mentality of an 8 year old boy. All I wanted to see was giant robots and giant monsters beating the crap out of each other and damn if the film didn't deliver. The fight scenes in this film are incredible to watch (if a little difficult to follow at times) and the design of the Jaegers and the Kaiju are extremely impressive. But I what IWhen I went to see Pacific Rim I went in with the mentality of an 8 year old boy. All I wanted to see was giant robots and giant monsters beating the crap out of each other and damn if the film didn't deliver. The fight scenes in this film are incredible to watch (if a little difficult to follow at times) and the design of the Jaegers and the Kaiju are extremely impressive. But I what I wasnt expecting was how good the story and writing was. Lets face it, in terms of story all this film needed was a loose thread to string the action sequences together and honestly I would've been content with that. But it's actually surprisingly deep and does a good job of making the audience feel more connected to the characters, who are also pretty engaging. Pacific Rim doesn't make the same mistake transformers made where the human characters are so dull and irritating that every time there's a scene focused on them you just want it to be over so you can get back to the cool stuff. They actually have a good deal of personality and help progress the whole thing nicely.
    Overall, the makers of this film know that you came to see action and they give you it by the generous bucket load but they still manage to make the finer details of the film relevant without letting them drag down the pace of the whole thing. Which basically means that girlfriends who have been dragged to see this won't be in quite the same state of cinematic purgatory that their boyfriends were when they were forced to watch the notebook.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 15, 2013
    It is possible to applaud Pacific Rim for the efficacy of its business model while deploring the tale that has been engendered — long, loud, dark, and very wet. You might as well watch the birth of an elephant.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jul 12, 2013
    The Kaijus make zombies look like wusses, so at least the fights in this film are battles royal. But overload sets in early, and it all turns into battle boring.
    Pacific Rim made me marvel at the technology of movies, but never the magic of them.