7.5

1. Dec 5, 2014
    If you want to see a movie with very good special effects and lots of action of big things hitting big things, then your in luck. If you want a movie with an actual plot and visible humans for most of the movie, then this isn't for you. If it is not for you, I would not recommend it, but if you can stand no plot as long as you see giant robots fighting giant aliens, then you will be moreIf you want to see a movie with very good special effects and lots of action of big things hitting big things, then your in luck. If you want a movie with an actual plot and visible humans for most of the movie, then this isn't for you. If it is not for you, I would not recommend it, but if you can stand no plot as long as you see giant robots fighting giant aliens, then you will be more than satisfied. Afterword, you will say 'that movie was terrible,' then go look for the release date for the second one online. Expand
  2. Nov 29, 2014
    Guillermo Del Toro's admittedly stunning visuals and rousing action save this motion picture from a wholly dumb story and some over-the-top characters.
  3. Nov 17, 2014
    This is an awesome movie! It features plenty of action and very good special effects. A must watch if you like Sci-fi movies! It also has quite an interesting plot. This is definitely good to watch even in 2-D as I watched it in 2-D and it still feels good even for a 2-D movie.
  4. Nov 13, 2014
    "Pacific Rim" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

"Pacific Rim" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

The Good: Truly epic large scale battles with amazing special effects. I was worried about how the Kaitju (the giant monsters) would look because in the previews they looked rubbery and somewhat fake ... but they looked much better and far more realistic in the finished product. If you grew up watching Godzilla films then you will have a geekgasm while watching this film as it is everything you ever dreamed of in a monster movie. Interesting characters that were more fleshed out than I thought they would be. While the lead character wasn't the best, he was picked up by a good supporting cast. Idris Elba was especially great and stole scenes every time he appeared.

The Bad: The drama is a little uneven. While some scenes were great and well done, a few came across as cheesier than I'd like. Charlie Day had some decent moments as a doctor who studies the Kaiju, but other scenes were forced for comedic value. I could have done without Burn Gorman's character entirely. I don't mind some comedy relief, but not when it is crammed into a film at odd moments.
  5. Nov 12, 2014
    Pretty solid movie if you are just looking to sit back and enjoy some action. I have to admit, the geek in me comes out seeing the giant robots fighting giant monsters. When I saw the previews, I thought this could go very wrong or very right. I think it went very right. The movie is well done for what it is.
  6. Nov 9, 2014
    Pacific Rim explodes with fantastical imagery, epic action sequences and irresistible fun while exposing emotion and balancing its otherwise average plot.
  7. Oct 8, 2014
    Don't have too much to say about this...maybe.

Don't have too much to say about this...maybe.

But this is one of my ALL TIME favorite movies. !!! I think I'll take a good look on Guillermo del Toro's other movies ( whatever else he directed or maybe was a writer too ) But this redefines a great CGI monster battle out blockbuster. Pacific Rim is loaded with fantastic visuals that will appeal to many fanboys and for many people who just wants a little dose of a monster verus metal clash in our great cities.

I first saw this in a Latino theater in Ecuador located somewhere in South America ( That is where I was born ) and I loved it!!! I then got lucky enough to See it AGAIN ...but this time in 3D! ( Yes, in a latino movie theater, don't worry I understand spanish quite well. )

The experince was again fantastic! Great monster verus giant robots fights! It was breath-taking. Another word I'll use to describe Transformers. (2007)! I have the movie on DVD, Blu-ray and Digital HD! Once I get my Blu-Ray DVD player, I'll shall watch this movie in the Blu ray version! LOVED this epic movie! Watch it please!!! HIGHLY FREAKING RECOMMEND!
  8. Oct 6, 2014
    Tough to like. Seems more intended for children than well...anyone else. It's cool to watch super huge massive monsters fight super huge massive robots, because that's original. That pretty much is the extent of the plot. How innovative. We should all like this movie...because it is entirely practical when being attacked by huge monsters, to throw all our efforts into making robots toTough to like. Seems more intended for children than well...anyone else. It's cool to watch super huge massive monsters fight super huge massive robots, because that's original. That pretty much is the extent of the plot. How innovative. We should all like this movie...because it is entirely practical when being attacked by huge monsters, to throw all our efforts into making robots to fight them, because apparently as the human race, we decided that is the best thing to do. And we won't use our really effective weapons unless we are on the verge of death. None of our guys are even really all that good at fighting these things either. Oh look, the guy who played Hell-boy. Come on! Seriously? How just plain dumb does this have to get? The CGI was well done, but that is all...they tried with a lesser known cast that wasn't a total failure as far as acting and delivery but doesn't help the lack of structure. Fight scenes were still better than Godzilla's. But still, Never Again. Expand
  9. Sep 28, 2014
    No one should go into this movie expecting a flawless story because that`s not what this movie is about. This movie is about MONSTERS versus ROBOTS, enough said. Apart from the beautiful CGI and action scenes, this movie does surprise with some great characters that actually have depth and a story, especially Mako and the commanding officer, Stacker. Idris Elba delivers a brilliantNo one should go into this movie expecting a flawless story because that`s not what this movie is about. This movie is about MONSTERS versus ROBOTS, enough said. Apart from the beautiful CGI and action scenes, this movie does surprise with some great characters that actually have depth and a story, especially Mako and the commanding officer, Stacker. Idris Elba delivers a brilliant performance, making the viewing of Pacific Rim a better than expected movie. As long as you know what you're getting into, Pacific Rim should satisfy and even surprise. Expand
  10. Aug 24, 2014
    Two hours of awesome! There's always room for more about the Jaegers and their crews, but the movie delivers what you'd expect it to: giant machines fighting huge monsters. [proper review coming later]
  11. qev
    Aug 17, 2014
    i gave it a second chance, having read many reviews, thinking wait a minute qev, did you see the right movie? it was after all a torrented version (from an undisclosed source, not me, that is right out and i deny that!) cos you never know etc, and low and behold, no, it was the same rubbish i saw the first time, only THIS time i wanted to shout "Why doesn't somebody fire the BIG WEAPONS ati gave it a second chance, having read many reviews, thinking wait a minute qev, did you see the right movie? it was after all a torrented version (from an undisclosed source, not me, that is right out and i deny that!) cos you never know etc, and low and behold, no, it was the same rubbish i saw the first time, only THIS time i wanted to shout "Why doesn't somebody fire the BIG WEAPONS at the awful Godzillaesque loping toy mock-ups FIRST THING when they're still out of 'about to destroy you for certain' range? and then i thought, wait a second, it's a comedy! hooray! but then, wait a third, no, no it's not! final verdict? atrocious Expand
  12. Aug 13, 2014
    When i have seen the trailer i was like its gonna be a Micheal bay movie clone. i was so wrong. This is one of the greatest movie i ever saw. I will put this as simple as possible its an attempt to release Japanese Mecha Style of animation series like Evangelion but with real actor. And they manage to do it. The music Are great the ambiance is there the special effect close toWhen i have seen the trailer i was like its gonna be a Micheal bay movie clone. i was so wrong. This is one of the greatest movie i ever saw. I will put this as simple as possible its an attempt to release Japanese Mecha Style of animation series like Evangelion but with real actor. And they manage to do it. The music Are great the ambiance is there the special effect close to perfection the rhythm of the movie is really great no boring part or almost. The Actors/actress Deliver really well. I could listen the movie 3 times in the same week and not get bored. A must see movie. It has is place in my collection with Aliens, Predator any science fiction fan must see this and its way better than transformers 2 and 3. Expand
  13. Aug 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is ok to watch. Most fun are the fight scenes and the very good special effects. Liked the setting and rainy mood. Lame was that almost anything was predictable, and the music was constantly playing in a dramatic style. There was no acoustic climax, it is constantly bombarding your ear. The characters were very stereotypic.

Also there are some logical issues that bothered me: Why is the Jaeger using it's blades in the last moment, why not all the time? I thought you can't travel through the Portal if you are not alien, but why can the escape pot travel back? Why are the other crews not using their escape pots if they obvisiouly have one?

All in all an ok movie for a cheesy afternoon / evening.
  14. Aug 1, 2014
    Is there any humility left in mankind? I liked it at the start, and it's a technically well-made movie, but as it went on, it became apparent that the whole entire point of it is human worship. Shameless, blind human worship. The idea that, no matter what, we're never going to admit any vulnerability or ask for any help. That we're tough enough to just take on anything, evenIs there any humility left in mankind? I liked it at the start, and it's a technically well-made movie, but as it went on, it became apparent that the whole entire point of it is human worship. Shameless, blind human worship. The idea that, no matter what, we're never going to admit any vulnerability or ask for any help. That we're tough enough to just take on anything, even skyscraper-sized monsters from another dimension. If something this ridiculous happened in real life, we would just set up a wall of those plasma cannons, or utilize whatever those one-hit-kill swords are made of, or do something that's halfway clever, not build giant robots like we have the minds of neanderthals. The whole point of the robots is to put man up on a pedestal, and give him all the glory

The characters are paper thin, cold, and care only for themselves. They know nothing of true friendship, substituting it with intrusive mind-melding that robs a person of their freedom to choose to open up and let someone in, and obliterates all notions of the sacredness of privacy and individuality. It's a very cold, technical, computer-like intimacy. This movie really gets to the heart of what it means to be a nerd. It doesn't understand human interaction, and instead of admitting it and trying to learn, it builds giant robots to fight mindlessly for its misguided ideas. And if better arguments come up against them, they'll just make a movie with even bigger robots next time as their rebuttal.
  15. Jul 28, 2014
    Görsel efektler şahane, konu biraz klasik gibi görünse de film kendini bağlamayı başarıyor ne zaman başladı ne zaman bitti diye düşünmeden güzel bir 2 saat geçirtiyor. Özellikle başrolü beğendim gelecekte parlama ihtimalini görüyorum. Anime ve görsel efekt severler mutlaka izlemeli.
  16. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Pacific Rim wasn't a terrible movie. It was sort of slow in my perspective, but the last thirty minutes of the picture were pretty entertaining.
  17. Jul 4, 2014
    Why should someone spend approx 2 hours and watch a movie that looks exactly like a great video game, instead of playing THE video game itself (and thus, have more fun with it)? Today, most movies are using too much CGI and sometimes the producers overdo it, almost causing nausea to the viewer. Of course Pacific Rim has great visual FX. And that's it. No acting and no story at all. JustWhy should someone spend approx 2 hours and watch a movie that looks exactly like a great video game, instead of playing THE video game itself (and thus, have more fun with it)? Today, most movies are using too much CGI and sometimes the producers overdo it, almost causing nausea to the viewer. Of course Pacific Rim has great visual FX. And that's it. No acting and no story at all. Just another "shoot the aliens" movie with 70% computer graphics, 25% sound FX and 5% acting. Expand
  18. Jun 15, 2014
    Pacific Rim is wooden, shallow and as artificial as a piece of plastic. But hey, it's a movie about giant robots fighting kaiju, so what do you expect. A few more non-digital effects would have nice. Still, Pacific Rim does what it says on the box with more style than the dire Transformers franchise.
  19. Jun 13, 2014
    My expectations of a visually playful blockbuster were pretty spot on. But the movie is also longer than I expected, and tends to expect the viewer to be entertained by the impressiveness of the visuals alone. The story had a more humanistic premise than usually seen in action flicks, but I'm not sure how much subtext there was. But I guess there could be something clever hidden in theMy expectations of a visually playful blockbuster were pretty spot on. But the movie is also longer than I expected, and tends to expect the viewer to be entertained by the impressiveness of the visuals alone. The story had a more humanistic premise than usually seen in action flicks, but I'm not sure how much subtext there was. But I guess there could be something clever hidden in the many symbols. I'm just not sure if it's worth bothering. Expand
  20. Jun 7, 2014
    If there is one thing I love about a movie is when it's self aware and knows the kind of feeling is trying to get across, and that is exactly what Pacific Rim does.

With not much mingling around the movie gives you exactly what you paid for, see giant robots fight giant monsters and that is what you get; it's not trying to beat you over the head with a overly complex story or trying to be deeper than it should be; it's like a roller coaster, you ride it to have fun and feel the rush, no more.

I am annoyed by a few things like the forced romance and some unnecessary scenes that add absolutely nothing to the movie; but if you are looking for a fun movie to watch I am sure you will enjoy this one.
  21. Jun 3, 2014
    When Pacific Rim focuses on its generic characters and story it’s a mediocre film. However, what saves this movie and makes it worth watching are the visuals. The presentation in this movie is fantastic and has some fun action that never gets too excessive and leaves you wanting more. Had the film’s action not been as good as it was this film would’ve been a 5/10 but because the visualsWhen Pacific Rim focuses on its generic characters and story it’s a mediocre film. However, what saves this movie and makes it worth watching are the visuals. The presentation in this movie is fantastic and has some fun action that never gets too excessive and leaves you wanting more. Had the film’s action not been as good as it was this film would’ve been a 5/10 but because the visuals were as cool as they were it’s a 6/10. I’m usually not big on dumb action movies but this is one blockbuster where I was bored when there was no action as opposed to the other way around. At the end of the day though this film is only memorable for its visuals. You won’t remember any of the characters or plot elements as they are all bland and generic but you will remember the cool visuals and fight scenes. If you are cool with a generic action film with cool visuals then definitely check this film out. Expand
  22. May 27, 2014
    Just fresh after watching a blu-ray edition of this movie and I have to admit that I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've expected a stupid monsters vs. robots movie but this movie has a bigger meaning underneath it's (oh so!) polished shell. PR is long but you won't feel that for a momens because action/storytelling moments are perfectly intervened to keep you on the edge of your seat.Just fresh after watching a blu-ray edition of this movie and I have to admit that I'm very pleasantly surprised. I've expected a stupid monsters vs. robots movie but this movie has a bigger meaning underneath it's (oh so!) polished shell. PR is long but you won't feel that for a momens because action/storytelling moments are perfectly intervened to keep you on the edge of your seat. Absolutely worth your money. Expand
  23. May 26, 2014
    This is a must scene for any fan of Kaiju movies and of the action genre. Pacific Rim is a non-stop thrill ride (cliché but so very true!) that gives fans exactly what they want: non stop action. Watching this with friends was some of the most fun I have ever had in a movie theatre. The Giant robots and hulking Kaiju were all beautifully presented and seeing them made me feel like a 10This is a must scene for any fan of Kaiju movies and of the action genre. Pacific Rim is a non-stop thrill ride (cliché but so very true!) that gives fans exactly what they want: non stop action. Watching this with friends was some of the most fun I have ever had in a movie theatre. The Giant robots and hulking Kaiju were all beautifully presented and seeing them made me feel like a 10 year old again. The Kaiju fight scenes are aplenty and they are very well done with a wonderful feeling of variety to them. But ultimately this movie is fun, there is a light heartedness about the characters despite being in a fight for their lives that makes you not take the movie too seriously and just enjoy the spectacle of giant battles being waged.

Not perfect, but it comes pretty damn close. Worth seeing in the cinema, worth buying on Blue-ray and worth lining up to see the sequel.
  24. May 25, 2014
    This film completely defied my expectations! What i expected to be a passible action flick ended up being a non stop thrill ride with cooler action than i could have imagined! Do yourself a favor and go watch this one right now!
  25. May 25, 2014
    This is one of those films you just have to watch on the big screen to have the full experience it's just awesome. The movie has had the best visuals of the year so far overtaking Star Trek Into Darkness it was so colorful i could see that just from the trailers. It has an amazing cast Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman. Guillermo del Toro definitely showsThis is one of those films you just have to watch on the big screen to have the full experience it's just awesome. The movie has had the best visuals of the year so far overtaking Star Trek Into Darkness it was so colorful i could see that just from the trailers. It has an amazing cast Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, Charlie Day, Burn Gorman. Guillermo del Toro definitely shows his directing skills again with some amazing shots. You can see just how huge the Kaiju and the robots are you really get a sense of the scale those things. Had some great dialog with some witty light sense humor that you can expect in del Toro's recent movies. Also i guess you could call this original but this kind of thing has been seen many times before just del toro pulls it off like a champ.

Overall i give it a 7.0 for sure buying this on blu ray and watching it multiple times. Another film to add to my del Toro movie collection. So cool that Pacific rim 2 is going to happen so we can see more of these awesome fights.
  26. May 22, 2014
    This movie was utter **** with laughable acting, poor writing, and tropes galore that don't even give the viewer any sense of charm. Everything in this movie was poorly executed, and everybody knows it. The only reason the user score is up is due to it being a monster movie. If you want to see a good giant monster film, go see the 2014 western adaptation of Godzilla.
  27. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is one of a kind for me, it surprised me beyond belief. Upon going to see it with my brother, i initially agreed to tagging along just to be nice and was planning on falling asleep. I couldn't have been more wrong. It has been the only film i have ever wanted to watch a second time, immediately after watching it the first time.

Critics and viewers may complain about the hilarious technological change, and how we couldn't possibly build moving robots as big as Jaegers., but who cares? The last thing I'm thinking about is how scientifically accurate the movie is. No it's not possible to build them but I for one have an imagination. There could never be an Island we don't know about with dinosaurs or ginormous gorillas on them, and we don't question them so why question these Jaegers of Kaijus?

The action and special affects we're outstanding and it had a top notch storyline that was original and interesting. I enjoyed the relationship build between all the characters and i found every second of it enjoyable. I would recommend not missing this film to anybody.
  28. May 17, 2014
    Porn for Godzilla fans, really the only why to describe Del Toro's extraordinary best of a machine "Pacific Rim", sadly im not that big a fan of Giant Mecha robot rights with aliens BUT when i wanna watch giant mecha robot fights with aliens i recommend Pacific Rim.

Rating: Supermechalienfigterrobotpornforgodzillafans out of 10
  29. May 2, 2014
    A spectacular adventure of giant robots fighting giant monsters from deep beneath the Pacific Ocean. The plot is a little boring, but the action sequences are what make this movie an amazing groundbreaking CGI film so entertaining that you'll want to rewind it.
  30. Apr 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fails
    Where are all the women? Why does the oxygen fail on only HER suit? It was her story of revenge: why the hell didn't she get the glory? And why was she the only woman who spoke for more than five seconds? GRRRRR!!!!

The second time I watched, I noticed there were two other women in the whole story - both got murdered, one of them was also pregnant. And why does the white man always get the goods? The last battle was ruined with white men saying and doing things that interfered with the flow of the action. And there was only one black guy in the whole movie, but he of course dies. How boring. The plot of the entire movie centered on him!!

Wins
    OMG I LOVED THIS MOVIE! Despite the huge gender/race fails, I cared about the two core characters Pentacost and Mori. Almost cared about the Beckets. Seldom do I care at all! I loved the Jagers and the Kaiju - excellent use of CGI vs. real that perfectly matched the style and genre of the movie! LOVED the corny and black humour! This movie left me feeling moved and good - yet apprehensive about reality.

Final Comment: Ya!
  31. Apr 15, 2014
    Pacific Rim is a great movie.It`s kind of like Transformers without all the unnecessary BS. It`s Godzilla vs human controlled BOTS.It`s a fun movie to watch.
  32. Feb 22, 2014
    I love Japanese mecha anime from Macross to Orguss to Evangelion and back and I never thought I'd ever be bored senseless by a film which purports to be a love letter to giant mecha and Kaiju cinema. Everything is just so bloody dull; framing and cinematography, ESPECIALLY the Jaeger designs. The clichés though! I should have brought a checklist with me, Pacific Rim had so much cheese I'mI love Japanese mecha anime from Macross to Orguss to Evangelion and back and I never thought I'd ever be bored senseless by a film which purports to be a love letter to giant mecha and Kaiju cinema. Everything is just so bloody dull; framing and cinematography, ESPECIALLY the Jaeger designs. The clichés though! I should have brought a checklist with me, Pacific Rim had so much cheese I'm practically lactose intolerant. Expand
  33. Feb 21, 2014
    Wow, just wow. I give a 10 rating once every 5 yrs or so and this rates that big time! This film is Transformers vs Godzillas on steroids, amped up to the max. The intensity is phenomenal, you'll wish the entire film was just mega-sized fight scenes.Yes, you can criticize this and that about the story, plot, etc but you'll be missing the entire point of the film. Enjoy this for what it is,Wow, just wow. I give a 10 rating once every 5 yrs or so and this rates that big time! This film is Transformers vs Godzillas on steroids, amped up to the max. The intensity is phenomenal, you'll wish the entire film was just mega-sized fight scenes.Yes, you can criticize this and that about the story, plot, etc but you'll be missing the entire point of the film. Enjoy this for what it is, and it's the best at what it does. Expand
  34. MSY
    Feb 12, 2014
    Terrible writing and cardboard acting plagues this otherwise entertaining movie. The special effects are great but that's about it. Expected more from Del Toro, a very average movie from an otherwise talented director.
  35. Feb 11, 2014
    2013’s most surprisingly awesome film was Pacific Rim. How did I miss this? Well…

Even though it was directed by Guillermo del Toro, who has to date made only excellent films, the trailers and the marketing for Pacific Rim did not do the film justice. There was only a bare-bones connection linking del Toro’s star power to this film. For the average person who may know del Toro’s other films, Pan’s Labyrinth and Hellboy 1 & 2, but not his name, the little “directed by” box at the bottom of the promotional poster would not have rung any bells, at least not in the same way a giant “From the Director of…” promotion would have. Still, I know del Toro by name and I still didn’t realize this was his film. Wayyy after it was already out of theatres I watched it on a plane. It was great.

Not only did the marketing not exploit any of the film’s star power, it didn’t even really give us any idea what it was about. The trailer just showed huge metal warriors battling Godzilla-like creatures, much in the fashion of recent mindless action movies such as Battleship (I did actually enjoy Battleship) or anything from the recent Transformers franchise. I hypothesis that this complete disconnect must have been intentional. In this way Pacific Rim attracted the same audience as the previously mentioned movies. A huge audience base that is easily swayed and turned on by special effects, battle scenes, and stuff blowing up, but they are potentially turned off by something that could be considered “cinema,” or too arty. This audience needed to be brought in from the beginning.

As for the more savvy movie-goers, although turned off by the meat head marketing, they are generally more inquisitive than the average Transformers fan, and so it seems the producers relied on these movie-goer’s inquisitive nature. Since it’s an actual good film, the savvy will find their way to it eventually. This film’s crappy marketing was actually a ploy to lure multiple demographics in subliminal ways, and thus mucho bank was made. Just a hypothesis.

FYI: According to Slashfilm.com, Transformers2 was the highest grossing, most negatively rated film in history, so getting the Transformers audience was just good business. The fact that the movie is also good is just a rare and wonderful freak, but not accidental, occurrence for the Transformers audience.

What makes Pacific Rim so great? Using a montage

sequence and voiceover, in the first five minutes of the film we learn all about the world that Earth has become. Monster Kaijus have invaded from a dimension shifting portal in the ocean, humans have built fighting machines called Jaegers to combat the Kaijus, and this on-going threat, the conflict between the two entities has eventually just becomes a routine part of common culture. Then suddenly things change.

The set designs are spectacular. Hong Kong is specially tailored here to fit a Kaiju bashing society. The encampments where the machinery and pilots are based is a gloomy complex that looks like the inside of a submarine. Being a big budget action film, Pacific Rim relies heavily on computer-generated graphics and spectacular special effects for its visual telling. Truthfully I have no idea how any of these action scenes would have been shot as almost every one is an epic between giant monsters, earthy and not. But it is not the visuals alone that make this a great movie. Transformers has great visuals.

It is the script that is so awesome. Co-written by Travis Beachman and del Toro, it is a sci-fi monster movie, but it is the nuances that make the film so much fun to watch. All the intricacies of the world. For instance, two people whose brain functions combine in a process called “the drift” pilot Jaegers. Pilots’ ability to drift effectively in unison is what creates great pilots. The drift is probably the single coolest thing about this film, and the idea is used later for purposes even crazier.

The Kaijus become so powerful that mankind is forced into a final standoff using all the remaining Jaegers against multiple super strong Kaijus. The prospects for humanity’s survival look grim. In final act of the film a spectacular twist takes place thanks to some unlikely scientists, and the fate of all humanity hangs on their wild hunch, the functioning of the aging military machinery, and the drift between the last two standing Jaeger pilots. I wish I had seen this film in theatres.

Let's see if Pacific Rim 2 ever makes it from the hard-drive on Travis Beachman's desk to the screen. This time, I'd give it a chance.
  36. Feb 10, 2014
    (Owen McKenna Rio Rancho, NM)
    I'm not a big fan of sci-fi movies, but I did enjoy Pacific Rim. Not your typical aliens from space movie. Good story line, not a lot o fluff between action scenes . The action scenes were well choreographed. Overall an entertaining movie.
  37. Feb 9, 2014
    Pacific Rim is very fun, but it's also too silly for its own good. I will admit however, that it's probably one of the best and most intelligent giant monster movies around. The film is undeniably visual stunning. The fact that it missed out on a visual effects Oscar nod is almost criminal. Fights between the kaju and yagers are huge, meticulously detailed, and about as far fetched asPacific Rim is very fun, but it's also too silly for its own good. I will admit however, that it's probably one of the best and most intelligent giant monster movies around. The film is undeniably visual stunning. The fact that it missed out on a visual effects Oscar nod is almost criminal. Fights between the kaju and yagers are huge, meticulously detailed, and about as far fetched as you can get. It's entertaining to say the least, but I wish Del Toro had gone in for a more realistic approach. I'm not saying that it doesn't look real. It does look very real, but the style is cartoonish and outlandish. There are real artistic flourishes here in small bursts, and the supporting characters are also reasonably enjoyable, especially Charlie Day, but the movie is still only a small fragment of what could have been. The actor in the leading role gives an unconvincing and clichéd performance, and the screenplay only occasionally hints at anything truly intellectual. The music also seemed pretty cheesey to me. All and all it's pretty decent, but not anywhere close to a masterwork. Expand
  38. Feb 1, 2014
    I'm not gonna go out and say that Pacific Rim was one of the best movies of all time, but it's definitely one of the boldest. Adopting a lot of elements from both anime and the Kaiju and mecha genres, Pacific Rim clearly knows its roots and pays homages to its roots and looks great doing it.
  39. Jan 31, 2014
    I'm very surprised on how good this movie was and most especially to myself that I enjoyed this movie. Also, I was expecting a sort of 80% Transformers like war and destruction composing the majority of this movie. But it was a good balance of it.

The acting of the actors was also phenomenal.
  40. Jan 29, 2014
    Del Toro's vision is as grand and elaborate as ever, as the Jaegars and Kaijus indulge in guilty techno-porn. Alas, Beacham's story is painfully routine (with a few flashes of interesting here and there) but then again, we do get to see Idris Elba bellow "today we are canceling the apocalypse!".
  41. Jan 26, 2014
    Do you like Godzilla movies?
    Do you like Giant Robot movies?
    Would you like to watch them fight it out? If you answered yes to the three questions above, then this is the movie for you. My inner 8 year old squealed in delight seeing the trailer for the first time. And did so again while watching the movie. Sure the dialog was a bit flat and the character development was lacking.
    Do you like Godzilla movies?
    Do you like Giant Robot movies?
    Would you like to watch them fight it out?

If you answered yes to the three questions above, then this is the movie for you. My inner 8 year old squealed in delight seeing the trailer for the first time. And did so again while watching the movie. Sure the dialog was a bit flat and the character development was lacking. But watching the trailer, I knew what I was going to get and I got it in spades. Damn now I want to watch it again.
  42. Jan 18, 2014
    Pacific rim

The bigger they are, the harder they brawl As I watched this movie I felt Guillermo del Toro asking me: Wanna have a dose of sweet awesome fun? Grab some popcorn, buy a red flavored Icee, lay back and enjoy this movie brother. And that was all I did. This movie tells the story about people who pilot giant robots that are up to stop the obliteration of our species when
    Pacific rim

The bigger they are, the harder they brawl

And that was all I did.

This movie tells the story about people who pilot giant robots that are up to stop the obliteration of our species when giant monsters, straight out of every ones childhood fantasy, burst out of a portal in the Pacific Ocean.
    It may sound cliche, and I can proudly say it is full of cliches and it doesn't shy away from the fact. It knows what it was sent to this good earth for and that is entertain the hell out of us. And it does that oh so good. And looks astonishing while doing so!
    From the plot it is implied you expect some ginormous robot vs big monster battles, and holy crap are they going to blow your skin of. Beautifully filmed for you to see the scale of the situations and for these brawls to look just badass. The Hong Kong battle in particular is going to stand out as a perfect set piece for me.
    And responsible for all of this are the special effects. In my opinion what helps to scale out things is are the water effects. How it cascades off these giants is as realistic as it gets.
    After all this focus on its looks and battles you may be wondering about the human element of the movie. While not perfect the arcs these characters go through with each other are fun to watch. Especially Idris Elba who transmits authority like a boss. Charlie Hunamm while not as good manages to hold as a main character. Rinko Kikuchi, the female lead is the one who should win the "Underrated hot chick of the year" award. And finally we have the two crazy scientists played by Charlie Day and Burn Gorman who while incredibly cliche and hyped up on something unknown tend to be funny and energetic.
    A curious fact in the movie is that it shows the social reaction to these monsters and robots and realistically it isn't always fear but propaganda and adapting to the situation. The second one involves Ron Perlman in it.
    After all this praise there is one stand out sequence that involves Mako's (Rinko Kikuchi's) past that you should really look out for. It changes the tone to a more serious and dark one and is made with excelence.

And of course there has to be a negative or two in this flick and the one negative I can pick is that while the movie builds itself on cliches sometimes these go over the legal limit and strive into predictability and unoriginality.
    But in general this is an amazing achievement in entertainment and special effects that you should really look for if you are having a grey day and want to jack release your worries by watching robots beat the living crap out of some monsters.
    I'm giving this jacked up child dream a 9/10.
  43. Jan 10, 2014
    As an action and visual effects blockbuster this is aces with monsters and technology galore clashing and fighting to the death in order to save or destroy. Where it falls down, predictably, is with the human element. Nearly all scenes involving real actors (and I say it some what tongue in cheek) are badly acted with the performers required to say unspeakable dialogue. In fact the scriptAs an action and visual effects blockbuster this is aces with monsters and technology galore clashing and fighting to the death in order to save or destroy. Where it falls down, predictably, is with the human element. Nearly all scenes involving real actors (and I say it some what tongue in cheek) are badly acted with the performers required to say unspeakable dialogue. In fact the script is so awful that it raises many an unintentional laugh. There is also way too much unnecessary exposition. The sound, however, is amazingly good. Expand
  44. Jan 6, 2014
    Badass!! realistic movants on the robots fun dumb fun for anytime of the year. Characters that are relatable yet unreliable, with a speech to rival independents day.
  45. Jan 5, 2014
    Cheesy, but awesome cheesy.

Sometimes cheesy films can be really bad and this was not that, not going to be film of the century but when you're watching it on a big screen really loud then it's really fun to watch.
  46. Jan 4, 2014
    watching a bunch of giant robots fighting monsters is awesome. There is
    no denying that. Pacific Rim embodies this notion. Pacific Rim is The
    robot vs monster movie. That being said, everything else about it is pretty damn terrible. The actors are all trying way too hard and it seems that everyone involved was having a hard time taking the subject matter seriously. Maybe because
    watching a bunch of giant robots fighting monsters is awesome. There is
    no denying that. Pacific Rim embodies this notion. Pacific Rim is The
    robot vs monster movie. That being said, everything else about it is
    pretty damn terrible. The actors are all trying way too hard and it
    seems that everyone involved was having a hard time taking the subject
    matter seriously. Maybe because everything in this movie has been done
    before. The whole plot is ripped from every aliens attack movie.
    "Aliens attack and humans put aside their petty differences to work
    together to destroy the attackers". Its so cliché its ridiculous. I was
    constantly having flash backs to other movies. Most notably would be of
    course Godzilla, Transformers and also Independence day. Even the
    ending reeked of Indep Day. The black market for kaiju parts was
    somewhat interesting but it was all way too Hollywood. The scientist's
    were also vaguely interesting but watching them interact and grow as
    characters made me want to puke. Jackson Teller just looks like he
    hopped out of Sons of Anarchy and into a robot suit. Again, robots
    fighting monsters will always be cool and the special effects are top
    notch but everything else is unintentionally cheesy and cliché, its
    very much similar to the Transformers series.
  47. Jan 2, 2014
    There's no way you can't love this movie. Being a fan of Gundam and the original Godzilla movies, seeing those two things together was like my dream becoming true. The plot is amazing with a major focus on the humans, the actors playing the characters are pretty good, but sometimes, they feel a bit generic in personality. The Kaiju x Jaeger scenes are this movie's selling point, and ohThere's no way you can't love this movie. Being a fan of Gundam and the original Godzilla movies, seeing those two things together was like my dream becoming true. The plot is amazing with a major focus on the humans, the actors playing the characters are pretty good, but sometimes, they feel a bit generic in personality. The Kaiju x Jaeger scenes are this movie's selling point, and oh boy, it is amazing. The soundtrack is also amazing. I can't wait to see the sequel. 10/10 Expand
  48. Jan 1, 2014
    I enjoyed this film very much. Everything from the acting to the CGI is brilliant and high quality. It's visual desert. Of course, like all these type of godzilla-esque films comes the Japanese themes. The Japanese have always enjoyed designing these types of films. Be it Godzilla, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Gomora, Godzilla vs Baragon and so on, but they lack resources to produceI enjoyed this film very much. Everything from the acting to the CGI is brilliant and high quality. It's visual desert. Of course, like all these type of godzilla-esque films comes the Japanese themes. The Japanese have always enjoyed designing these types of films. Be it Godzilla, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Gomora, Godzilla vs Baragon and so on, but they lack resources to produce proper visually attractive films. The makers of this film took the idea of robots fighting godzilla monsters and turned it into this beautiful film.

I have no other words to describe this. Just go and watch it.
  49. Dec 31, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a movie to be experienced on a huge screen and in 3D. It doesn't have the best acting or writing, but the overall story is awesome and the action and visual effects are amazing. It doesn't seem like a del Toro movie, even though it has creatures and giant robots. Because it doesn't have the best writing, it focuses more on the action and visual content, so the poor writingPacific Rim is a movie to be experienced on a huge screen and in 3D. It doesn't have the best acting or writing, but the overall story is awesome and the action and visual effects are amazing. It doesn't seem like a del Toro movie, even though it has creatures and giant robots. Because it doesn't have the best writing, it focuses more on the action and visual content, so the poor writing doesn't feel as bad.

Pacific Rim gets 7.4/10
  50. Dec 31, 2013
    The movie is a generic mix of ideas from anime super robot genre, amazing effects and fun to watch but is predictable and feels really generic, full of cliches and the giant robots have a plain and boring design, a nice try but not so memorable
  51. Dec 31, 2013
    This was actually a very fun movie. It was engaging, had a neat plot, and delivered on what it was. You don't go into it looking for academy award winning performances, but you leaved having enjoyed it. I would actually love to see some kind of sequel. Definitely an enjoyable movie.
  52. Dec 30, 2013
    think this is the last time i'll ever listen to bad reviews. this movie is great! and definitely a nice watch on Blu-ray. it had everything i wanted, and took me back in memory of a game with mech warriors from sega. i'll actually be buying this.
  53. Dec 28, 2013
    I couldn't help but feel like Pacific Rim should have given me some deeper dramatic elements to chew on, but maybe I'm just missing the point. That having been said, you can do a whole lot worse if you're looking for a brainless, enjoyable action extravaganza.
  54. Dec 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is not a very smart film, however it does do the giant monsters vs giant robots fighting very well. Think Cloverfield monsters vs giant mechs. Visuals are very impressive and they give it kind of a cool back story. If that's all you want, go, watch, you'll be entertained.

Where Pacific Rim goes wrong is it has some things that just don't make any sense and you just have to suspend belief and move on. Most of them aren't jarring and don't pull you away but some might. For example: like 2 to 4 little helicopters will be able to fly in the robots that are as big as about 4 sky scrapers put together. Does gravity and weight not apply in this world? Ignore it just keep watching... Charlie from Always Sunny is a scientist. Ok, I'd probably watch just to see that.

Some of the dialogue is pretty bad. One scene they recruit a pilot saying, "I picked you because you're the only Mark 3 robot pilot left alive." then down the road it changes to, "You were the only one to ever pilot a mech solo. That's why I chose you." Like they read the script that was written right? Lets not have a character contradict himself. Also there was a (more spoiler) scene where a pilot almost killed a bunch of people on accident because of being a pilot, and when the person who was sort of being portrayed as an antagonist gives them about it, our "hero" goes a bit overboard on defending them. Like the pilot almost killed a lot of people... It's hard to route for the guy defending that pilot from getting verbally chewed out. There was very little repercussions from that incident other than one awkward cafeteria scene.

Next,
    Hey, what if these giant monsters were also linked to the dinosaurs? And like the same reason these new giant monsters are coming in is the same reasons the dinosaurs appeared? No, no, please no. You given us one fictional backstory to believe already. Don't spoil it. Spoiler, spoiler spoiler, insert alien destroy then colonize scheme here.* But hey, at least they do it with style.
  55. Dec 23, 2013
    Cool concept, ok acting, nonexistent oomph. It's a fun flick, but it couldn't quite get me to cheer for the characters and delve into the world of the Jagers and Kaiju. It sort of felt like someone walked up to you randomly, introduced themselves, and then walked away; flattered they came to say hi, but a bit confused with the sudden departure. As integrated as they make the kaijuCool concept, ok acting, nonexistent oomph. It's a fun flick, but it couldn't quite get me to cheer for the characters and delve into the world of the Jagers and Kaiju. It sort of felt like someone walked up to you randomly, introduced themselves, and then walked away; flattered they came to say hi, but a bit confused with the sudden departure. As integrated as they make the kaiju appearances sound to daily life, it gives very little insight into what that's like, not quite getting the audience to immerse themselves into the word. If anything, it's an inspiring concept with nice visuals for a very tiny peek into the universe of Pacific Rim. Expand
  56. Dec 21, 2013
    Comparing Transformers, I Robot, RoboCop (and all the movies of robots) this leaves them as the worst. Guillermo del Toro treats us to a spectacular show of special effects and action-filled moments of tension and adrenaline. The plot is very smart and keeps you tied to the seat. The performances are not like Daniel Day Lewis, Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt and all of them, but there are goodComparing Transformers, I Robot, RoboCop (and all the movies of robots) this leaves them as the worst. Guillermo del Toro treats us to a spectacular show of special effects and action-filled moments of tension and adrenaline. The plot is very smart and keeps you tied to the seat. The performances are not like Daniel Day Lewis, Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt and all of them, but there are good and which emphasize. The outcome and the course are sublime. Here we have another light in the dark moment is going Hollywood with a fresh idea. If not I at least nominated for an Oscar I'll descepiconar and I think I am not alone. Expand
  57. Dec 17, 2013
    When you sit down to watch this movie, don't expect fantastic acting, interesting dialogue or a compelling story. Instead, this film is absolutley perfect at what it aims to do; its a balls out, over the top action spectacle.
  58. Dec 17, 2013
    E o típico filme com otimos efeitos especias, mais com uma história horrivel.
    Alem do mais robos gigantes que lutam na cidade ja não e novidade, mais acho que Pacific Rim e um grande concorrente da Franquia Transformer.
  59. Dec 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific Rim is certainly a step up from the ridiculous padding (and sometimes offensive) movies that make the Transformers films, but it is not necessarily a masterpiece. It is, however, a step in the right direction.

From the beginning this movie absolutely sucked in the originality department. Concepts of kaiju and mechas have already been exploited to hell and back by the likes of Ultraman and Super Sentai. It made no pretenses as to where the inspiration came from. It wasn't even a parody or homage film; it just outright passed it as if its something to amaze the culturally dim Western audiences. Give me a break.

The story is simple; kaijus come to trample around the Earth from undersea, and we built giant mechas, piloted by the minds of two pilots. We get to see our protagonist with his brother. Not 5 minutes in, the brother dies, and its suppose to make the protagonist go into hiding for five years. In that period, international council members of the UN cut the funding of the mecha programme in favour of some big wall that doesn't seem to work. So the chief (Idris Elba) goes after the hero to make one last hurrah to stop the kaijus once and for all.

Already, I see great problems with the film in the first act alone. Senseless deaths that's supposed to mean a lot to the hero, doesn't affect me if I don't connect to the deceased. Cliches are rampant in the film. Arrogant jock ala Iceman from Top Gun, the absent-minded scientist who thinks only of proving himself right above even common sense, politicians from shadowy- omnipotent councils that try to oversee a military operation (think the Council from Xcom). Its really laze writing. I especially hated the scientist because its clear as the movie progresses that he's supposed to be comic relief. His contribution to the storyline is minimal till the end of the film. To which I ask: since when stereotypes become a joke? Blackface and yellow-faces are not a joke.

Unlike Transformers however, any non-action scene in this movie is utilised to some extent for character development. I liked Ms Mori's character being fleshed out, and you slowly begin to see a different dimension to Elba's character as well. The problem is that its the only development you see; the rest, including the hero himself, are stock and 2-dimensional characters. There's even a supposed love tension between the hero and Ms. Mori, but its passed off as weak sauce.

The 1st act is surprisingly long compared to the other two acts. 1st act is suppose to encompass retraining the hero and Ms. Mori, and getting his mecha up and running. It does provide protected periods of character development, but it also dangerously padded up the act. Especially prominent as the 2nd and 3rd acts were action focused, a sudden tone shift from the introspective 1st Act.

CGI in this movie is breath-taking and almost perfect. The mechas and kaijus look very real. Surroundings look very real. Not once did I cringe at an out-of-place CG artefact. Truly the same crew that worked on the CG of Transformers have worked in this movie with the same fervor, or otherwise another team did an equally impressive job as well. CG made the fight scenes between mechas and kaijus very lifelike. Ripped metal, alien blood, and explosions are perfectly showed in detail, as if it happened in the physical world. Its probably the best CGI this year.

How does this movie rate overall? Compared to Transformers, it definitely took a more simple storytelling, but managed to flesh out a bit more dimension into two of their characters. The CGI is equally impressive. It does suffer from superfluous characters that end up padding the movie right until the end (the scientist, though Ron Perlman did ham the scenes quite comedically). The problem though, is that the movie simply has no originality, and half of its story-telling elements are lined with cliches and stereotypes. This easily satiates the appetites of action-maniacs and children, but its painfully obvious how little value the story is. Its very hard to ignore it altogether because they DID take the time focusing on back story and quiet drama moments. In the end, the movie ends up being action oriented, but failed to let the story and characters equally match. Still, at least the main characters ARE the main characters in their own movie, unlike Transformers. Juvenile humour is kept to a minimum. There is not a lot of lore behind the kaijus however, which makes them almost an archetypal alien invaders that have no soul; just targets and objects to kill.
  60. Dec 12, 2013
    The visual effects keep it going rather than aid the story, but I guess what makes it worth the watch is the guilty pleasure of seeing monsters and robots beat the crap out of each other.
  61. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    It's visuals are without a doubt beautiful and it has good pacing as well as action sequences that are popcorn fun, but the characters are entirely forgettable. The performances are good and so is the atmosphere. One thing I hated though was how 3/4th's of the action sequences took place at night time and in the rain, making it difficult to thoroughly savor the visual aspect of this film at times.
  62. Dec 10, 2013
    perfect for 9 year olds or 10
    and you can still watch it when you're older but it's a bit toooooo giant robots pucnhing giant monsters and showing of there awesome weapons and cool looks
    this movie is probably the dumbest awesome movie ever made or the awesomest dumbest movie ever made(honest trailers) the story well it's ok it's action scene's will make every 10 year old like this
    perfect for 9 year olds or 10
    the story well it's ok
    it's action scene's will make every 10 year old like this movie even more then transformers
    in overall it's better then transformers really much better but still it's just showing off big awesome robots
    and there are expalinnations for the monster invasion not just monsters poping up and then yeah well destroying cities and the world must save them and they do and that's it
    this movie is worth watching
  63. Dec 8, 2013
    Outstanding visuals. Really impressive. However I need something else. I know fans of these type of movies-juvenile stories will love it. But really, there´s nothing else apart from the stunning visual effects. People say this is the way Transformers should have been done. And I know the director is great. Whatever. I´ve not seen those ones. I need a story and character development forOutstanding visuals. Really impressive. However I need something else. I know fans of these type of movies-juvenile stories will love it. But really, there´s nothing else apart from the stunning visual effects. People say this is the way Transformers should have been done. And I know the director is great. Whatever. I´ve not seen those ones. I need a story and character development for crying out loud! I was really bored, I almost fell asleep (of course I was watching it at night but I always do) and it never happens to me. A 5 out of 10 for the visuals. If not it would obviously be a 0. But it is what it is and it has its public. Expand
  64. Dec 7, 2013
    If you like GDT movies you'll love Pacific Rim. A visual spectacle with some interesting concepts mixed in. But if you don't typically like GDT movies because of questionable logical beats and character motivations, dumb plot holes, and stories that just fall flat after an initial flurry then you'll find more of the same here. I largely enjoyed the first act but I just wanted it to endIf you like GDT movies you'll love Pacific Rim. A visual spectacle with some interesting concepts mixed in. But if you don't typically like GDT movies because of questionable logical beats and character motivations, dumb plot holes, and stories that just fall flat after an initial flurry then you'll find more of the same here. I largely enjoyed the first act but I just wanted it to end when the story got "moving." Granted I'm no longer a 13 year old boy. If I was I would have watched it 10 times already. Still, that's no excuse for poor storytelling. Expand
  65. Dec 6, 2013
    Surprisingly nowhere near as cheesy as the trailers made it look. It's an action packed spectacle that makes for one heck of a good watch. It clearly takes inspiration from the Saturday morning TV shows of old like the Power Rangers. Watching people in giant metal suits fighting giant monsters is a heck of a lot of fun. The movie even throws some goofy, comedic style moments to show youSurprisingly nowhere near as cheesy as the trailers made it look. It's an action packed spectacle that makes for one heck of a good watch. It clearly takes inspiration from the Saturday morning TV shows of old like the Power Rangers. Watching people in giant metal suits fighting giant monsters is a heck of a lot of fun. The movie even throws some goofy, comedic style moments to show you how self-aware it is. Overall though it does manage to (thankfully) stay serious. I really enjoyed the film and it is one that I would recommend to others. Expand
  66. Dec 3, 2013
    "Pacific Rim" has perhaps some of the greatest action I have ever seen. The use of 3-D is fantastic, the CGI and visuals were stunning, the acting is brilliant and both the story and script are intelligently crafted. This truly is a intense, epic, visually-stunning spectacle.
  67. Dec 2, 2013
    I went into this with high hopes. Perhaps expecting too much from it. But I really did find it a bit dull most of the time. Sure, the special effects and the action scenes were extremely cool but in the end, this is really just another generic B-rate monster vs monster movie, except it has a huge budget and allot of big names attached.

Characters are cliched and tired. Plot is

Characters are cliched and tired. Plot is uninspired and done before. To quote someone I heard on Youtube (I can't remember who) "Pacific Rim is the Power Rangers for adults" and he was right, except this had believable effects and not as cheezy acting.

Overall:
    Regardless of my gripes, the effects were phenomenal! If you can go into this movie just wanting action and epic fight scenes, then this is the movie for you. Just, don't expect anything else.
  68. Dec 2, 2013
    Perfect plot, best Bluray release ever, with 10+ 3D video and 10+ lossless DTS HD-MA audio track.

You must have this movie if you loved at least one of these movies/characters:
    Godzilla
    Mazinger
    Power Rangers
    Jurassic Park
    Gamera
  69. Dec 1, 2013
    This movie is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I had my arms in front of me mimicking the punches the robots made as if I was 8 years old. I took off points for more predictability than expected and Hunnam's attempt at an American accent. A solid summer movie.
  70. Nov 30, 2013
    It is an over the top feast of monsters and robots that is a visual splendor for the eyes. Exciting, action packed, and funny. To top it off, it also had a pretty cool score.
  71. Nov 29, 2013
    Pacific Rim explodes with fantastical imagery, sillybutt action sequences and irresistable fun while exposing emotion and balancing its otherwise average plot.
  72. Nov 28, 2013
    As far as monster vs big bad robots are concerned, not bad at all. But don't think too much! Why the actors have to walk inside the thing (to make the mech walk) is beyond me. Also, much of the action totally defies physics (that's a common complaint for this film). Personally, I was a bit disappointed, but mostly over nuances why this, what's that. Good entertainment. Nothing to go nuts over.
  73. Nov 26, 2013
    I really love the way del Toro captures the essence of what I feel is the essence of his childhood, with films like Godzilla and Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the anime of his childhood involving giant mech robots. Its a very enjoyable action film and I feel del Toro had just as much fun making it as I did watching it. Their is true imagination in this film. Its not groundbreaking inI really love the way del Toro captures the essence of what I feel is the essence of his childhood, with films like Godzilla and Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the anime of his childhood involving giant mech robots. Its a very enjoyable action film and I feel del Toro had just as much fun making it as I did watching it. Their is true imagination in this film. Its not groundbreaking in the storytelling department but I appreciate good fun and this film is great fun every second you see a Jaeger against a Kaiju! Expand
  74. Nov 25, 2013
    I loved this flick. Saw it with my daughter, who is in to all things anime, and she also loved it.

Saw it in an IMAX theater and that lead to my biggest complaint: all the rain in 3D made it hard to focus on the action once in a while. But since that is my biggest complaint, that should tell you what I think of the rest of the movie. Loved the Jaegers and Kaijus. Gipsy Danger

Loved the Jaegers and Kaijus. Gipsy Danger rocks!

The fact that this is (gasp!) and ORIGINAL universe gave Guillermo del Toro freedom to create as he wished, without the fear that the die hard fans would hate what he did. And create he did. If you get a chance watch the extras in the Blu-ray. I think you'll be surprised at how many small details are in the movie.

Idris Elba is one of my favorite up-and-coming actors. His work in The Wire was incredible, and it is good that Hollywood is giving him an opportunity. Charlie Hunnam was more than serviceable as the action hero and while I am not a fan of Rinko Kikuchi, she also played her role well.

I will not lie and say that there is anything extraordinarily NEW here. It is a story of humans v. monsters. But this minor film does BIG better than a lot of predecessors recently. The Transformers trilogy comes to mind immediately.

While it seems like a backhanded compliment, you need to enjoy this movie for what it is. It is nothing more than a rollercoaster ride and, as such, does the job VERY well.
  75. Nov 24, 2013
    Pacific Rim the best summer movie ever made. It even fits the definition of a exploding summer blockbuster film which knows what it's doing. Pacific Rim also knows how to be one by not getting you bored while these titans fight in our cities. One side is made out of metal and the other is completely organic. Giant 250ft tall mechanical beings fighting equally 250 or 300 feet monsters isPacific Rim the best summer movie ever made. It even fits the definition of a exploding summer blockbuster film which knows what it's doing. Pacific Rim also knows how to be one by not getting you bored while these titans fight in our cities. One side is made out of metal and the other is completely organic. Giant 250ft tall mechanical beings fighting equally 250 or 300 feet monsters is just something that has never been done before in a long time and it's all thanks to Guillermo Del Toro for pulling the drawings of giant robots and monsters out of my head, and finally putting them into a movie! This is the only movie by far, which has action on a scale that is physically unimaginable. And what's so great about this movie as well, is not only the action, there's a really great sense of humanity in this movie. That we haven't got in a long time too. Great characters and each shows a great purpose in their roles. Charlie Hunnam, I will agree his accent is a little wonky at times. But that's not enough to bring down on how big his charisma is in the movie. A really badass likable character. Though what I wished was more character development between him and his lost brother. It's sad, we didn't get that. But still, Charlie makes the heck out of the movie. Idris Elba, the actor known for playing Heimdall in Thor, is an amazing actor. That focus, and moral center of the movie, is what defines Idris' character. Rinko Kikuchi, an actress who has less knowledge of an eye candy, yet to nail her role in playing the role of an isolated beautiful object in this movie and has really a great backstory. But she's just as good as Charlie's character, who has a badass backstory but it's a little one-dimensional. Charlie Day, from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, is hilarious in this movie. Every scene he's in is appropriate for the comedic relieves and he's the scientist who's always hyperactive on drugs, especially the Hong Kong scenes where he's in. Great! Ron Perlman, known for making his cameo longer than any cameos I've seen, does a great job as a leader of a black market Kaiju dealer. Really great. Guillermo specifically said he wanted something that looked weirder or stranger than the giant monsters, so we got this. Something to be taken with the opposite of serious. And the rest of the cast did a fine job at bringing the movie with the sense of actual continuity. Pacific Rim definitely deserves a sequel as there's so much more of it's story that we needed. And the sequel should also tell more of the prologue which is quite short in this movie, unfortunately. Not giving audiences more information and therefore having others to felt like this movie had some part of the plot that didn't make sense. But I wasn't one of them. I know everything there is to know about Pacific Rim. Now I've said this and I will say it again, Pacific Rim is not just everything about explosions and spectacle and metal and monsters fighting, it has really great human elements in this movie. Unlike the Transformers which has some really inappropriate moments that just tore the film down and it's annoying. The action in there was really subtle, meaning it's bad and it's really hard to understand which transformer is fighting which transformer. Michael Bay and Dreamworks, you got some mess to do. Okay! So overall, Pacific Rim is an awesome great action summer blockbuster movie that deserves to receive all your money and it's really worth most of our time. Really dates back to the mecha and kaiju sub-genres in the past and now it's been revived. Thank you Guillermo Del Toro and the rest of his crew for making this entire movie possible. Thank you. Can't wait for it's sequel which is in storywriting process now! XD Expand
  76. Nov 21, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a movie that doesn't play to it's strong suits.

Pacific Rim is a movie that doesn't play to it's strong suits.

This was a movie that needed to focus on giant robots fist fighting giant alien monsters, however what we got was a movie with split personality disorder. Sometimes it's focusing on the emotional dramas of the characters and others it's making corny jokes and fighting monsters. I wanted to suspend belief at the plot holes and ignore all the pointless dialog, but it just felt like a chore to wait through all the meaningless exposition dumps and pointless emotional conflicts just to get to the good stuff, the action.

I can only partly recommend Pacific Rim as i felt quite bored waiting through all the pointlessness to get to the stuff that was exciting and fun.
  77. Nov 16, 2013
    All of my childhood fantisies all rolled into one 2 hour movie. Thank you for getting it right Guillermo Del Toro. Took me back to the good old days. It isn't perfect but come on, GIANT ROBOTS fighting GIANT MONSTERS! If you like that sort of thing, this is the movie for you.
  78. LTR
    Nov 16, 2013
    This is a great monster movie. The story is great, the characters are good, the action is great and the monsters are creative. This movie is a great way to show that monster movies are still great.
  79. Nov 16, 2013
    This Movie has a bad story with weak characters, mostly bad actors and a terrible screenplay. I cant really belive del Toro did this. Even "Battleship" was better. If you are over 16 years old, dont waste your time.
  80. Nov 14, 2013
    one of the dumbest movies i've ever seen... way too much machine on monster fighting and a completely cliched plot... yeah, great graphics but that's not much of a draw when the story is just stupid...
  81. Nov 14, 2013
    A movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters. It's fun to watch (especially in IMAX 3D) and definitely not the Evangelion rip-off a lot of ignorant people might make it out to be.
  82. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beside some funny stuff by Charlie Day and Ron Pearlman, this movie stinks. I love cheesy fun action movies, but this was boring, long and dumb. The action was slow, as I prefer fast action with my robots, like Transformers. The effects where decent, but hidden by the dark and rain. The characters were very poorly portrayed as well. Expand
  83. Nov 12, 2013
    It's a shallow, yet exciting, experience. Obnoxious characters, abysmal story, yet it's so fun you stop caring once the action scenes roll around. Colorful and hokey, it's reminiscent of the super hero cartoons we grew up watching and loving. If you like intense action and overwhelming visuals, you might like this film.
  84. Nov 11, 2013
    The only positive thing about this film was the visual effects which were great.

The plot is easily the most ridiculous thing about this film. I'm sure whoever drummed up the giant mech vs monster thing has watched too many Saturday morning cartoons. A lot of things in this film didn't make sense to a rational mind, it's like the screen play was designed for 10 years old's. The

The dialogue was basic, none of the characters were interesting and had very little development. The casting was poor and the acting even worse.

This film was big, dumb and rudimentary. Unless you're prepared to turn off your brain for two hours and suffer complete nonsense, then this isn't the film for you.
  85. Nov 11, 2013
    Really terrible movie. The plot was extremely bad, the acting was also lacking. They for some reason chose to focus the movie around the poorly made characters which made the movie really dull. The only thing that kept this movie together were the amazingly well done graphical animations.
  86. Nov 1, 2013
    Pacific Rim might not be a groundbreaking film, but it's not bad by any means and pretty much everybody can enjoy it regardless of their taste. The movie is extremely spectacular, thanks to its great visuals and music sound effects that make the action scenes truly shine. It is true, though, that the plot isn't too original (but I must admit that taking ideas from Japanese culture madePacific Rim might not be a groundbreaking film, but it's not bad by any means and pretty much everybody can enjoy it regardless of their taste. The movie is extremely spectacular, thanks to its great visuals and music sound effects that make the action scenes truly shine. It is true, though, that the plot isn't too original (but I must admit that taking ideas from Japanese culture made the plot more interesting) and it's handled in a typical and cheesy way. Despite its flaws, Pacific Rim is a decent and entertaining movie.

Scoring:

Production Values (Sound Visuals): 9/10 (good all-around and immersive)
    Story Characters: 4/10 (typical and a bit cheesy but has a good pacing)
    Enjoyment: 7/10 (the action scenes are well done and you don't have time to get bored)
    Total: 6.7/10
  87. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific Rim is a great movie, the battle scenes between Jaegers and Kaijus are fantastic. The only thing I don't like is that they only used 5 jaegers in the battle scenes (the fifth is the Coyote Tango). It would have been better if they added more jaegers but who cares? It's a great movie for kids.

Once again, the film is great. I just hope that they add more jaegers (or if possible: battles during days rather than night with very hard rains because, for me, everything seemed hard to see when they fight at night.) so it's more enjoyable.

Other than that, it's a very enjoyable movie for young audiences, good job Guillermo Del Toro for making a fantastic movie!
  88. Oct 28, 2013
    les robot sont trop cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! et puis les combat aussi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! la fin est cool tout est cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  89. Oct 27, 2013
    big robots vs giant monstrous aliens means a amazing action packed movie that is a great tribute to monster movies but also a great original worlds and story great job Del Toro great job
  90. Oct 27, 2013
    Pacific Rim was surprisingly one of the best movies I've seen this year. I expected an entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, but a movie void of any quality acting or plot. Boy was I wrong. While it was a very entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, it had a very interesting storyline with solid plot development, granted a little brief. The acting was alsoPacific Rim was surprisingly one of the best movies I've seen this year. I expected an entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, but a movie void of any quality acting or plot. Boy was I wrong. While it was a very entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, it had a very interesting storyline with solid plot development, granted a little brief. The acting was also up to par and the character development was fantastic, giving life and depth to characters that seem at first to be a bit superficial. There were also some nice cameos by actors like Charlie Day and Ron Perlman, who though I don't like, had a cool role. Overall, this movie takes a substantial amount of suspended disbelief but I think most people who like cool action movies will really enjoy it. Expand
  91. Oct 27, 2013
    The movie's plot is nothing extraordinary. The acting is competent; it gets the job done. The battle scenes and visuals, however, were amazing. And having an awesome filmmaker like Guillermo del Toro directing surely did help. A great popcorn flick, but nothing more than that.
  92. Oct 26, 2013
    Decent reimagining of the classic Japanese monster movies. Story is pretty tame but it's geared towards a young audience (if I was 12 I'd love this movie). My only complaint is that there is not enough fight scenes and not enough cool weapons for the mecha to use.
  93. Oct 23, 2013
    [7.2] Pacific Rim knows exactly what it is at all times, and embraces its childish nature with a great passion. Never before has a mindless action movie been so thoughtful in that it is aware that is doesn't have to be. Go to hell logic.
  94. Oct 22, 2013
    It was action packed robot flick! Future Perfect for any Robot movie like never before. Pacific Rim still the best summer movie of all time since The Avengers. Very Flawless!
  95. Oct 22, 2013
    Pacific Rim is one the most visually stunning movies of this year thus far and one the best action movies in the past 5 years. With all that being said the few problems the movie does have a forgivable mainly in the story department, which is not that big of a issue. The formula is simple Giant monsters rise from the sea humans built giant robots to fight giant monsters. The other bits ofPacific Rim is one the most visually stunning movies of this year thus far and one the best action movies in the past 5 years. With all that being said the few problems the movie does have a forgivable mainly in the story department, which is not that big of a issue. The formula is simple Giant monsters rise from the sea humans built giant robots to fight giant monsters. The other bits of story at times felt more like filler but never drug on for so long that it was unbearable. Guillermo del Toro has crafted a world the likes of which is staggering to say the least. All in all it's a good movie I look forward to see if they decide to expand the universe in other forums such as comics or with more movies. Expand
  96. Oct 21, 2013
    8.5/10.

Pros: Unless you hate action films you will not be disappointed. The action/visuals are beyond impressive. This is like Avengers/Transformers/Reel Steal times 100. The script for the main outline is great. Cons: Acting is less then impressive, doable but no Emmy or Oscar any time soon. The deeper the plot get the more the outcome comes out to be bad. I would be shocked if
    8.5/10.

I would be shocked if you didn't like it because everyone in the theater was going crazy when they were fighting. Is it cliched, yeah but what film today isn't. The Conjuring was unoriginal and cliched but got like an 8.4. The only film in a good minute that wasn't cliched is probably Spring Breakers and that's a like it or hate film. Terrific monsters, robots, CGI, and sound effects.
    Yes this movie is LOUD and I mean it but unless you're just plan boring you won't enjoy it.

Whoever said this will only appeal to 8-14 males lied. My mom (41), brother (22), girlfriend (16), her sisters (19/12), just a wide range of action movie lovers.

3D, I know what you're thinking, Oh God another 3D movie that doesn't need to be or won't be good in it. Shut up the first MINUTE I regretted not seeing it in 3D.

Unless you like action movies, you might hate it. But this is probably one of the top 5 of 2013.
  97. Oct 18, 2013
    I really liked this movie. Who wouldn't want to watch Gundams finally done in a blockbuster movie? However, the mistake was in how this movie was cut. It should have shown less fight scenes and CGI destruction porn, and more of the dynamic between Mako and whatever Hunnam's character was named. There are scenes where the connection between the two does not really make sense unless thereI really liked this movie. Who wouldn't want to watch Gundams finally done in a blockbuster movie? However, the mistake was in how this movie was cut. It should have shown less fight scenes and CGI destruction porn, and more of the dynamic between Mako and whatever Hunnam's character was named. There are scenes where the connection between the two does not really make sense unless there was a bigger romantic arc between the two of them that was cut in favor of more kaiju scenes. I realize that this is not a serialized anime, and we can't have all the stories given time to unfold; however, I'm just disappointed because just like in Man of Steel, CGI carnage becomes tedious after a while. Expand
  98. Oct 18, 2013
    Pacific Rim is a example of how to do an Action flick right, with great characters, original concept and dark storyline. It Knows when it needs to throw explosions in your face at the right times without getting boring. Take notes Michal Bay
  99. Oct 17, 2013
    Forget anyone who whines about the film, it's fantastic. I've seen a lot of films like this and am rarely impressed. For sheer spectacle it's creative and incredible. Characters aren't all your typical American hero (although they do feature, which in this sort of gung-ho action film is entirely acceptable) they come from an array of backgrounds and provide their own basic motives,Forget anyone who whines about the film, it's fantastic. I've seen a lot of films like this and am rarely impressed. For sheer spectacle it's creative and incredible. Characters aren't all your typical American hero (although they do feature, which in this sort of gung-ho action film is entirely acceptable) they come from an array of backgrounds and provide their own basic motives, fleshing them out a little. They really try everything to create a believable atmosphere in a completely bizarre and unrealistic complex and surprisingly succeed. When reading negative reviews it's obvious that these people went into this film with far too high minded an attitude, lost in their own belief that an action epic such as this isn't good because it doesn't hold a bigger message for them I'll give them the bigger message get over yourself, stop watching so many films and enjoy them for what they are. Seriously, the cover has a giant, man-shaped robot on the front, what did you expect? Expand
  100. Oct 17, 2013
    awesome movie it was action after action i watched it first day out and i loved it its defiantly worth watching again i would recommend this movie to everyone because the story line gets you thinking
    i waited a long time to watch this movie and i wasn't disappointed

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 15, 2013
    It is possible to applaud Pacific Rim for the efficacy of its business model while deploring the tale that has been engendered — long, loud, dark, and very wet. You might as well watch the birth of an elephant.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jul 12, 2013
    The Kaijus make zombies look like wusses, so at least the fights in this film are battles royal. But overload sets in early, and it all turns into battle boring.
    Pacific Rim made me marvel at the technology of movies, but never the magic of them.