6.7

1. May 18, 2014
    I didn't love it while watching, but after letting it sit for awhile, I decided that I really, really enjoyed this movie. It's a lot like a Sofia Coppola movie-somewhat plotless, but Gia Coppola does a good job and it comes together. She uses a lot of scenes as vignettes of sorts, and towards the end I could generally see the themes it was attempting to convey. The plot is really not what won me over though, the way this was shot and the elegant soundtrack are awesome, but the acting! Damn. Jack Kilmer and Nat Wolff are great, especially Wolff's cynical, douchey character. Emma Roberts and James Franco were great and equally convincing as well. It's really kept me thinking about it since I left the theater, and for that it earns my respect. It's not a movie for everyone though and on a purely plot basis, it doesn't do much to distinguish itself from other teenage flicks. But still, everything else adds up to a really fantastic debut for Gia Coppola. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 12, 2014
    Palo Alto is a pale imitation of the early novels of Bret Easton Ellis, who wrote about young ennui and misdirection from the inside out.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jun 11, 2014
    The stories might work better separately as uninterrupted short films. Combined, they lack cohesion but suggest that Coppola has a fine framing eye and ability to guide actors to good work.
  3. Reviewed by: Jeff Baker
    May 30, 2014
    Palo Alto is "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" without the wit; "River's Edge" without the depth. It's like reading a first novel by a talented writer who has something to say but isn't yet sure how to say it.