Pandorum

6.5

1. BrianH.
    Apr 8, 2010
    Was a bit interesting at the beginning but was too reminiscent of Aliens and Sunshine. I am a huge Dennis Quaid fan and that was part of the reason I rented the movie. I was extremely upset when I found out all that Quaid does during 99 percent of the movie is sit in a chair in a locked room. Not a total waste of time, but pretty close.
  2. Sep 21, 2011
    "Pandorum" is just a SF-horror flick where survivors run away from alien-like creatures. The question is, did they make it? Yes, they barely made it.
  3. thedude
    Sep 25, 2009
    The first 20 minutes were great! There were a lot of really good ideas here, unfortunately they were undone by an abundance of really cheesy D movie elements. I still kind of liked it for the movie it could have been, rather than the movie it actually was, which was actually a pretty bad movie.
  4. destae.
    Sep 30, 2009
    Not as bad as some suggest, my early 20's sci-fi loving son enjoyed it, and I stayed awake. Film relies too much on darkness and camera jittering.
  5. OwenO.
    Oct 2, 2009
    I really wanted to enjoy this movie, the trailer gave me the impression that it was a claustrophobic, tense, horror based in space. a homage to the video game dead space, or the film Alien. But sadly no i was horribly mistaken, This movie is quite boring, the dramatic irony was horribly protrayed. The plot had hope, but the dialogue and execution ruined this film. I will be generous and I really wanted to enjoy this movie, the trailer gave me the impression that it was a claustrophobic, tense, horror based in space. a homage to the video game dead space, or the film Alien. But sadly no i was horribly mistaken, This movie is quite boring, the dramatic irony was horribly protrayed. The plot had hope, but the dialogue and execution ruined this film. I will be generous and say it was Mediocre. Expand
  6. DavidL
    Oct 6, 2009
    Offers nothing new, gloomy and dreary which is a shame because there is an interesting idea here but it's sadly squandered with a same old, same old plot.
  7. RienyeN.
    Dec 4, 2009
    This is just one of those weird movies where they spend three quarters of it in dim lit corridor running from noises. It really is tedious. Play Dead Space instead, at least you'll see whats going on.
  8. Nov 18, 2011
    PANDORUM is a dull rip-off of THE DESCENT, but in space. That is all.
  9. ChadS.
    Sep 26, 2009
    With his scenes confined to a single interior, Dennis Quaid, who once tried on a number of scared silly looks while braving a haunted house in Mike Figgis' "Cold Creek Manor", tries to avoid looking silly in "Pandorum", a cheesy but not outright awful monsters-on-a-spaceship movie, presented in the key of "Alien". Although Quaid eventually does interact with the sci-fi tropes, the With his scenes confined to a single interior, Dennis Quaid, who once tried on a number of scared silly looks while braving a haunted house in Mike Figgis' "Cold Creek Manor", tries to avoid looking silly in "Pandorum", a cheesy but not outright awful monsters-on-a-spaceship movie, presented in the key of "Alien". Although Quaid eventually does interact with the sci-fi tropes, the B-movie thrills, his sequestering for much of the film's running time smacks of a concession made by the filmmaker. And this is the message sent: "Pandorum" is not worthy enough, intuits the moviegoer, for its A-lister to grab a glow-in-the-dark stick(as his co-star Ben Foster does), and be hunted by a race of bald, cannibalistic mutants like a good sport. Since there's nobody to window-dress the fight sequences, and lend some gravitas to the small group's search for Elysium survivors(in which crawling over a bodied sea of bald, cannibalistic mutants is required), "Pandorum" often looks and feels like a straight-to-Blockbuster production. Amid the ghosts of Ridley Scott and James Cameron that this none-too-original movie defiles, exists a more cerebral brand of science fiction alongside all the interspecies fighting. Late in the film, Quaid finally gets to do more than bark instructions into a radio, when his character(Payton) is joined by another survivor(Gallo, played by Cam Gigandet) in the ship captain's cheese-resistant niche, where their heated exchanges prove to be a much better fit for the film's modest budget. Expand
  10. LucaC
    Nov 26, 2009
    A decent sci-fi/horror movie that was appallingly ruined by the Lieutenant's psychosis which did nothing for the plot but only lengthened the wait for the obvious ending. The only difference between this movie and the Duran Duran movie "Arena" including all the derivative videos, is the soundtrack. Unfortunately, Arena had better music.
  11. DavidP.
    Dec 18, 2009
    Despite the overwhelmingly negative reaction from the critics, this film actually has a lot going for it. There's nothing new here, of course, but a lot of disparate standard space disaster movie elements are weaved together fairly well. The acting is not oscar worthy but it's not cringe worthy either, something that many Dennis Quaid films haven't managed to achieve. The Despite the overwhelmingly negative reaction from the critics, this film actually has a lot going for it. There's nothing new here, of course, but a lot of disparate standard space disaster movie elements are weaved together fairly well. The acting is not oscar worthy but it's not cringe worthy either, something that many Dennis Quaid films haven't managed to achieve. The effects are good enough to make you believe the story, though the direction relies a bit too much on underlit sets and shaky camera work to assist in the illusion. That said, I would definitely recommend this film to anyone who's a fan of the genre. Expand
  12. Sep 28, 2010
    This film got an extremely bad rap. The critics absolutely missed the mark on this one. As a sci-fi fan, I was both frightened and intrigued. This film works on all levels, even if it is somewhat predictable. If you're looking for solid sci-f horror go no further.
  13. May 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I felt the film, was trying too hard, the plot twists felt forced and anti-climactic. More on the annoying side i felt. I knew DQ was gonna lose his mind or had lost his mind but they kept dragging it on, which just comes across as annoying. I felt the other members of the crew were stereotypical. Timid yet willing to push himself hero. The bad ass cold shouldered **** with a soft side. and the immigrant who can't speak english. What i did like was the mutants they felt like a sub species of human, that given the context of how long the ship had been there fit. the history and back story of earth and its end were interesting. It was alright for one sit through other then that i could recommend much better sci-fi cinema. Was fun for one ride. Expand
  14. Aug 2, 2013
    The idea is pretty good, but the realization is poor at times. I didn't like the monsters design (some space orks) and their strange movement. Also some plot stuff was not properly explained. Overall, an average alien-like sci-fi horror movie with low budget.
  15. Dec 26, 2015
    A good stand alone sci-fi thriller. Not brain candy but good for mindless fun. The plot is unoriginal, and the story plays out as something between Star Trek, and Aliens but not as good as either. The ending was interesting enough but I really disliked all the pseudo-psychology stuff which is why I knocked it down a bit.

The story is just another human resettlement plot with an ark

The story is just another human resettlement plot with an ark being built and people being frozen for long range travel. Like always, someone wakes up, does stuff, and things go amok. The characters are actually ok minus the main antagonist (revealed towards the very end) who was not believable. Everyone else was either trying to help the ship when things go wrong, or are there just to survive in a situation that includes genetically mutated human monster-like things. There is also a ninja character and of course a cannibal... If you want a mindless movie then this will do the trick for a couple of hours but dont expect much to talk about.

1. Handsomely mounted, emotionally involving sci-fi movies don't often show up in the darkened galaxies of our theatre chains. So Alvart's English-language debut is definitely a film you want to catch on the big screen. Just don't sit too close, lest you end up with a dose of pandorum.
    Pandorum is a dark, disquieting dream worth watching out for.
  3. How brazenly can one film rip off "Alien," "I Am Legend," and, somewhat oddly, "The Poseidon Adventure"?