Pan's Labyrinth

8.6

1. May 7, 2016
    Boring pretentious crap. Filled with "deep symbolism" which makes boring pretentious people think they're smart when they pick up on it, hence the high score. Also gutwrenchingly sadistic, but in a pretentious way so intellectual snobs can enjoy it without feeling bad about their lack of empathy.

I actually felt physically ill after watching this movie. You could say it "moved me deeply" as the snobs here do, but it didn't move me in a good or useful way. It moved me like it would move me to watch children being raped. You don't feel enlightened or enriched by being moved this way, you feel violated.

Unless you're a pretentious snob, that is. I don't only hate this movie, I literally hate the people who would give it a 10. I fear what such people are capable of...

Pan's Labyrinth is not just a bad movie, but a movie the world would be better off if it didn't exist.

It still gets 3 stars for cinematic excellence though. Just to show I'm not to stupid to see its qualities and grok the multilayered symbolism. I understand all of it perfectly fine, I just happen to HATE IT.
  2. RonGephart
    Feb 8, 2007
    This highly overrated film fails at almost every level. As fantasy it is not for kids, nor adults. The violence and brutaility is sadistic. The characters are unexplored and unexplained. In fact, you watch most of the movie not knowing who anyone is, and you don't really care. The special effects/makeup of the fantasy characters are amateurish at best--they look like they wereThis highly overrated film fails at almost every level. As fantasy it is not for kids, nor adults. The violence and brutaility is sadistic. The characters are unexplored and unexplained. In fact, you watch most of the movie not knowing who anyone is, and you don't really care. The special effects/makeup of the fantasy characters are amateurish at best--they look like they were made out of paper mache during your 8th grade Intro to Art Class. Very little of the plot is revealed, and you don't really know the difference between reality and fantasy in this film. If the fantasy in the film is used as an allegory for escaping the brutality of fascism, then it would be nice if it appeared somewhere in the script. I find it unimaginable that this is the highest rated movie of the year. I walked out of the theater thinking it was an utter mess, and absolute piece of crap. Don't waste your money. Don't even see it when it comes on DVD. Expand
  3. Oct 6, 2014
    Not THAT bad, but will give it a 0 just because how overhyped it is; it's fooling future viewers. Depressive, and if that's your thing, you're gonna love it. For me, it was mostly about predictable, transparent shock value. And as someone else said, these annoying cliches... (only ONE rule: don't eat the food, but yeah she HAS TO eat it... i get it, she's starving, so why should she careNot THAT bad, but will give it a 0 just because how overhyped it is; it's fooling future viewers. Depressive, and if that's your thing, you're gonna love it. For me, it was mostly about predictable, transparent shock value. And as someone else said, these annoying cliches... (only ONE rule: don't eat the food, but yeah she HAS TO eat it... i get it, she's starving, so why should she care about that horrible monster in the room... ahh come on.) Expand
  4. AnonymousMC
    Jan 20, 2007
    When I went to go see Pan
  5. Apr 13, 2013
    Increadibly overated...plot full of holes,for example:what's the reason girl's mother get married to sadistic psychopath at the first place?Girl had been told for a million times not to eat food when comes to the monster and yet that's the first thing she did there,why?And maiden didn't kill sadistic bastard when she had a chance-she cut his mouth with a knife but didn't kill him,why?And so on...
  6. StuB
    Mar 3, 2008
    I do not exaggerate when I say there is no other movie whose reception has baffled me this much. This movie is pretty bad. It's not atrocious, but I am tempted to say so in reaction to the herd of reviewers that are on some kind of weird bandwagon kick gushing over this movie. The realistic parts were cliched and the characters like her father were caricatures. The fantasy aspects I do not exaggerate when I say there is no other movie whose reception has baffled me this much. This movie is pretty bad. It's not atrocious, but I am tempted to say so in reaction to the herd of reviewers that are on some kind of weird bandwagon kick gushing over this movie. The realistic parts were cliched and the characters like her father were caricatures. The fantasy aspects were forced, meaningless, and stylized only for the sake of being stylized. Could have been so much more.. And the whole way the movie was portrayed by its marketing as this 'dark fairy tale' was completely misleading. More like a bad wartime drama with a few cool but completely meaningless fantastic scenes spliced in. Expand
  7. DavidSchajer
    Jan 19, 2007
    If you enjoy endless scenes of gratuitous violence -- rush to see this film. If you believe that gunshots to the head, stabbing a man's face then shooting him, a woman cutting a man's mouth open, and so on have any place in a "fairy tale" -- then this is the film for you!
  8. AnonymousMC
    Jan 26, 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth caught me completely off guard. I was not expecting the kind of movie I saw, and while to some degree it is better when this happens, it was just bad timing. I heard some really good reviews about this film. The advertising I saw showed interesting visuals of fantasy elements which seemed to be merged with reality. It focused on a little girl. I thought, "Hey,Pan's Labyrinth caught me completely off guard. I was not expecting the kind of movie I saw, and while to some degree it is better when this happens, it was just bad timing. I heard some really good reviews about this film. The advertising I saw showed interesting visuals of fantasy elements which seemed to be merged with reality. It focused on a little girl. I thought, "Hey, it's the weekend. I need to let off the stress and go see a really interesting and provocative film. It was my fault for not reading more into it, but I still was a victim to faulty advertising to some extent. This was NOT a good movie to be relaxing with Hana.

What I got was 90% Spanish Civil War film and about 10% a Fantasy film. I was in the mood for a fantasy film. I was not in the mood for a war film. Call me an idiot if you must, but I'm just human. I wasn't ready for it. There are times when I want to see a war film, and times when I really don't. This was one of those times I really didn't. Thinking back, I probably would have enjoyed this movie more if I had known about this, but watching extreme brutal and sadistic violence was not my idea of a night out.
    Despite this, however, the film had pretty good acting and cinematography but I felt a little cheated with the writing. I honestly felt all the characters were a little one-dimensional (I do admit this is essential at times for big dramas) but more importantly I did not connect with Ofelia. The challenges she faced were, as another reviewer pointed out, "arbitrary, unpoetic, and tasklike". And "none of them really challenge her mind, her spirit, or her heart". I have to agree with all these things. Most of the movie she is just blindly following Pan's directions. And the scene where she disregards the fairies to eat the grape from the table really showed the idiocy of her character. She seemed to just be leisurely strolling through her fantasy world for no apparent reason. This made me not really like her character, which made the last scene where she got shot, not very compelling.
    Another complaint about the fantasy presented is that it did not effectively parallel the real world. The only bloated metaphor I could pull from the film was that the dark violent fantasy themes were comparable to the dark violent events going on around her. Other than that, none of the actual substance of what was going on in the fantasy world really came together in the plot. And by the end when it is really obvious it is all in her head (or atleast not connected at all to the "real world"), I felt cheated. It's not that I didn't agree with this seperation, but it just made me feel like it was a big waste of my time. The whole film could have existed as a movie about Spanish fascists and the girl's perspective could have been deleted and it still would have worked.
    I was torn after the film was over about what I really thought. But the truth was the film didn't really make me think at all. It just made me depressed. I really didn't care about any of the characters and the story didn't bring about any deep meaning that I had hoped for. What was supposed to be a beautiful, thought provoking film came off as a cliched battle between spanish facists and rebels with fantasy elements here and there slapped on.
    I can see how some would like this film, but the faults in the script really bring it down for me. The film had a lot of potential and there were elements I really liked. But all in all I really didn't like it. Having seen The Fountain not too long before, I knew what kind of film gives me hope for the artists of the future. Watching both these films really brings back the meaning of what works and what doesn't in my mind.
  9. DaveR.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Am I the only one that hated this film? It had some interesting visuals, but my huge gripe was the characters were completely lacking in depth. Really, all you needed to know about anyone was whether they were a Franco Fascist (bad guy, boo!) or a Red (good guy, yay!). The plot was contrived and arbitrary; the obstacles had no logic other than to make the movie run for the desired number Am I the only one that hated this film? It had some interesting visuals, but my huge gripe was the characters were completely lacking in depth. Really, all you needed to know about anyone was whether they were a Franco Fascist (bad guy, boo!) or a Red (good guy, yay!). The plot was contrived and arbitrary; the obstacles had no logic other than to make the movie run for the desired number of minutes. The whole viewing experience was so artificial that I couldn't care less who came out on top. Expand
  10. sointelligent
    Jan 26, 2007
    man, i'm really really smart, and this movie just wasn't as smart as i am! i'm sorry, but it really makes me feel even smarter when i can say a movie sucks that everyone else loves. i also hate the godfather (totally unreal storyline), gone with the wind (yeah, as if there was a civil war??), and pulp fiction (not very well directed). i just wish more people would consult MEman, i'm really really smart, and this movie just wasn't as smart as i am! i'm sorry, but it really makes me feel even smarter when i can say a movie sucks that everyone else loves. i also hate the godfather (totally unreal storyline), gone with the wind (yeah, as if there was a civil war??), and pulp fiction (not very well directed). i just wish more people would consult ME before making a movie, because i could really write a much better movie than this one. that's why i'm sitting on my ass passing judgement on people WAY more talented than i am! Expand
  11. MichaelB.
    Jan 10, 2007
    Apparently, I saw the same film as fellow reviewer Dave R. did. If you look beyond the special effects, the plot is hackneyed and paper-thin. So many of the characters appear as one-dimensional caricatures.
  12. IRom
    Feb 3, 2007
    This was the most horrible and horrific movie I've ever seen. It is NOT brilliant....it is insulting to women, children and mankind. The man that made this movie is a SICK FUCK!!!! It has nothing to do with fantasy.....it is all about DEATH......death is a much more beautiful thing that this asshole has conveyed. He needs to check his fucken brain. How dare you kill children andThis was the most horrible and horrific movie I've ever seen. It is NOT brilliant....it is insulting to women, children and mankind. The man that made this movie is a SICK FUCK!!!! It has nothing to do with fantasy.....it is all about DEATH......death is a much more beautiful thing that this asshole has conveyed. He needs to check his fucken brain. How dare you kill children and women in your movie the way you have!!!!!! Expand
  13. Jan 24, 2013
    The only "tale" here is the historical aspect. And it's rather a sad tale since it's a blatant propaganda. Other than that, questions arise like: Why so brutal? Why so dystopian? And why is the hourglass one fifth full after a few seconds but goes on for several minutes after that? One of the worst movies I've ever seen...
  14. TonyL
    Jan 10, 2007
    Although I do not think this movie is a zero, I want to decrease the bloated score of this film as much as possible. I am left utterly confused by the many critic and reader high scores. What movie did you see, am I blind, have I lost my sensibility, am I or you in some way deluded? Is there an invisible wave of totalitarian group think affecting all the high scorers where a few high Although I do not think this movie is a zero, I want to decrease the bloated score of this film as much as possible. I am left utterly confused by the many critic and reader high scores. What movie did you see, am I blind, have I lost my sensibility, am I or you in some way deluded? Is there an invisible wave of totalitarian group think affecting all the high scorers where a few high scores compel others to fool themselves into thinking that something is simply profound that attempts to make a profound statement. For how can you not love a movie that critiques Fascism and compares the violence of the real world with the violence of fantasy world. OOOOHHH that must be so profound, how creative and genius he must be to associate these two worlds. I gathered little or nothing from this, and his metaphor was as bloated as the critic scores were. Maybe that's it, people do not want nuance and want a metaphor, an image, and violence to smack them upside the head. It provokes little thought and only near the end when the band of brother comrades ambush the fascists and kill them in the execution style of the captain did I think, yes, that is it even the communist who pretend to be liberators and on the side of the good, participate in the same violence as the fascists. We are all potentially fascists, no one is safe, even in the fantasy world. Although del toro maybe hints at this, he leaves us mostly with his one-dimensional carictaured approach to a time in spanish history that was filled with ambiguity, violence, and tore a country and people apart which resonates to this day and continues to divide and be an issue for spaniards in 2007. At the end I was barely moved and was left numb not by the obvious but by a with-what-did-I-miss daze that everyone else so clearly seemed to see in this supposed beautiful, thought-provoking movie. A movie in the end that is neither a good fairy-tale or insight into the spanish civil war or human nature. Expand
  15. ma
    Feb 4, 2007
    It was unnecessary violent and gory. The fantasy aspect was very limited. The war, cruelty and fighting took over. Parts didn't make sense. *SPOILER*Why did she get to continue the quest when she broke the rules (By stupidly eating the food when she was told numerous times not to eat because her life depended on it) and was banned from the underworld kingdom. This movie is highly over rated.
  16. AMovieCritic
    Mar 3, 2007
    I'm having a hard time seeing what so many critics seem to have loved about this film. It's being marketed as a "fairy tale for grownups" but what that basically means is that it's a fairy tale but with graphically violent images thrown in there as well. The fairy tale portion of the film is shallow and under-developed ("follow 3 steps and you'll be princess") and way I'm having a hard time seeing what so many critics seem to have loved about this film. It's being marketed as a "fairy tale for grownups" but what that basically means is that it's a fairy tale but with graphically violent images thrown in there as well. The fairy tale portion of the film is shallow and under-developed ("follow 3 steps and you'll be princess") and way too simple to have ever stood on its own; it also lacks any real magic. But most of Pan's Labyrinth isn't following the fairy tale subplot, it centers on a story of a very evil army captain who commits some seriously violent murders and tortures. Much of the movie focuses on this story. And while I like gratuitous violence in movies as much as the next guy, Guillermo del Toro really overdoes it here, to the point where it just becomes not only unpleasant to watch, but even unintentionally comical. (Within the span of only about 10 minutes, a man is stabbed repeatedly, has his cheek sliced open, stitches it back together himself, drinks poison, bleeds profusely, and then, to top it all off, is shot in the face right on screen.) The fairy tale portions of the movie lack magic, the army portions are graphic and violent but not exactly fun to watch, and overall, at 2 hours, it definitely stretches the viewers' patience. The unanimous critical acclaim this has gotten is a little puzzling to me. Expand
  17. michaeld.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Violent and grotesque, and sorely lacking in fantasy elements, Pan's Labyrinth is much more a war drama than a proper fantasy film. The story is more simple and common than critics have led us to believe and the effects are poorly-crafted. There's not much for the average viewer, although I'm sure the film is a masterpiece to those who can't see beyond its indie veneer Violent and grotesque, and sorely lacking in fantasy elements, Pan's Labyrinth is much more a war drama than a proper fantasy film. The story is more simple and common than critics have led us to believe and the effects are poorly-crafted. There's not much for the average viewer, although I'm sure the film is a masterpiece to those who can't see beyond its indie veneer or for audiences who prefer violence to substance. Expand
  18. AmandaM.
    Feb 15, 2007
    This is definitely in my top 10 worst films of all time. Mediocre acting at best, horribly graphic and violent. Leave the kids home.
  19. Inexhume
    Mar 2, 2007
    A film too simple-minded and and too unambiguous to be manipulative, which is why the rabid critical adulation has left me feeling somewhat perplexed. The visuals were subpar at best, though not because they weren't pretty to look at (they were), but because they lacked a keen sense of spatial awareness; the viewpoint remained consistently stagnant, even when in motion. As for the A film too simple-minded and and too unambiguous to be manipulative, which is why the rabid critical adulation has left me feeling somewhat perplexed. The visuals were subpar at best, though not because they weren't pretty to look at (they were), but because they lacked a keen sense of spatial awareness; the viewpoint remained consistently stagnant, even when in motion. As for the narrative bit, both threads, fantasy and real, were equally banal in their cosmology. Both world's were as readable as children's books, which equated to shallow film/character dynamics and total absence of dramatic complexity. All we're left with is a theatrical cartoon tacked with a transparent morality tale preaching the wonders of our ability to be rich, ethereal, and layered beings; ironic considering the movie and its superficial meanderings were anything but in execution. Anyone serious about film will know better than to praise this garbage. Expand
  20. MacW.
    Jun 13, 2007
    Did we really need yet another movie to teach us that fascism is bad? Or that innocence should be cherished? We know these things, already; but, apparently, the makers of Pan's Labyrinth don't trust us. Really, though ... exactly what demographic is this film catering to?? IS there a market for movies that intercut fairy-tale sequences with graphically violent images of people Did we really need yet another movie to teach us that fascism is bad? Or that innocence should be cherished? We know these things, already; but, apparently, the makers of Pan's Labyrinth don't trust us. Really, though ... exactly what demographic is this film catering to?? IS there a market for movies that intercut fairy-tale sequences with graphically violent images of people repeatedly getting shot and having their faces bashed in? (Yes, this film really does show that...) Wake up, people!! The great movies are about characters and plot, not about visually stunning sequences that ultimately have no meaning. What a waste of celluloid this movie was. Expand
  21. JimmyJ
    Jul 20, 2007
    It is disturbing. People exalt this movie with phrases like "exquisitely violent" letting me know that others saw the same things in this movie that I saw, but what I found repulsive they have found wonderful. For all of its qualities, I cannot wrap my head around the idea that violence in and of itself is entertaining. I like action movies, I like car chases and kung-fu, I am a pretty It is disturbing. People exalt this movie with phrases like "exquisitely violent" letting me know that others saw the same things in this movie that I saw, but what I found repulsive they have found wonderful. For all of its qualities, I cannot wrap my head around the idea that violence in and of itself is entertaining. I like action movies, I like car chases and kung-fu, I am a pretty self centered person when it comes down to it, why is that I am the only one who seems to find the idea of a father watching his sons face being smashed in with a bottle while begging and pleading only for both of them to be shot to be beyond reconciliation with the idea of an entertaining movie. Expand
  22. BickB
    Jul 30, 2007
    Lots of style but virtually no substance. Yes, fairy tales used to be much darker in the pre-Disney era, but just adding real-world violence and unhappy endings to a rather generic and underdeveloped fantasy plot does not the Brothers Grimm make. As for the script's many shortcomings (and, to be fair, the visuals were great and the acting as good as could be expected), other users Lots of style but virtually no substance. Yes, fairy tales used to be much darker in the pre-Disney era, but just adding real-world violence and unhappy endings to a rather generic and underdeveloped fantasy plot does not the Brothers Grimm make. As for the script's many shortcomings (and, to be fair, the visuals were great and the acting as good as could be expected), other users have spoken most eloquently. I would only add that those who see the girl's dark fantasy world as a response to the brutality of living with her oh-so-wicked stepfather seem to have forgotten that the fantasy world was introduced before the stepfather was! Moreover, the ambiguity of the ending---one of the film's few narrative strong points---is apparently shattered by del Toro's DVD commentary; turns out it wasn't all in her head after all. Yet another problem for the "psychological response to cruelty" theory. But even if that WERE the film's intent, the message would be patronizing---as though there weren't countless other children in Spain and around the world suffering far worse yet maintaining their psychological strength (at the cost, of course, of innocence and imagination) rather than collapsing into self-destructive hallucinations. Manipulative rather than moving, "Pan's Labyrinth" calls to mind the old adage: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with B.S." Don't believe the hype. Expand
  23. RobH
    Jul 3, 2007
    I'm a lover of fantasy movies, and I still disliked this film. I am scratching my head at the mainstream reviews, some of which have the gall to compare this film to "The Lord of the Rings." This is the furthest thing from epic fantasy; it's a bloodbath that should be compared only to other horror films. Highly overrated, and definitely not for the squeamish.
  24. FredrickT.
    Jul 8, 2007
    This is one of those movies that shows that the public can't be trusted to think for themselves. Reviewers gave it high marks, like they do most foreign movies, and people say it was good because they were told it was good. The film had some decent special effects, the over all plot was OK, and scenes were shot nicely. But the story moved along way to slow, the violence was too This is one of those movies that shows that the public can't be trusted to think for themselves. Reviewers gave it high marks, like they do most foreign movies, and people say it was good because they were told it was good. The film had some decent special effects, the over all plot was OK, and scenes were shot nicely. But the story moved along way to slow, the violence was too graphic, and had cookie cutter characters. Expand
  25. DaveRomito
    Sep 10, 2007
    Did I miss something in this movie?? I thought it was awful. Could have used a lot more Labyrinth, and a lot less "Captain" shooting people in the face. This was a huge disappointment, and the whole chalk door on the wall....well that was cool 15 years ago in BeetleJuice.
  26. AndreaF.
    Dec 4, 2008
    A very stupid, pigheaded, and hamfisted movie with a cartoon fascist villain, noble communist heroes(in fact, communists were worse in the Spanish Civil War), and a squeashily soapy story about an innocent girl. What a cheap and low way to tug at our hearts by having the guy tormenting helpless little children? Like the recent chic for Che Guevara the mass murderer, this films is part of A very stupid, pigheaded, and hamfisted movie with a cartoon fascist villain, noble communist heroes(in fact, communists were worse in the Spanish Civil War), and a squeashily soapy story about an innocent girl. What a cheap and low way to tug at our hearts by having the guy tormenting helpless little children? Like the recent chic for Che Guevara the mass murderer, this films is part of the radical leftist revival--funded by capitalists and suckers. Bad ugly movie. By the way, the fantastical elements are hoary and cliched. It's C. S. Lewis crossed with Stephen King. Expand
  27. BryanL
    Jun 5, 2009
    Variety reviewer Justin Chang calls the violence in Pan's Labyrinth "exquisite." I suppose Del Toro's bloodlust is shared by all critics, since its Metacritic score is 100. I don't abhor violent movies. But the violence here is overly gorey and in your face though not in a Kill Bill way. Despite the title, little time is spent among fairies and such, but when they do Variety reviewer Justin Chang calls the violence in Pan's Labyrinth "exquisite." I suppose Del Toro's bloodlust is shared by all critics, since its Metacritic score is 100. I don't abhor violent movies. But the violence here is overly gorey and in your face though not in a Kill Bill way. Despite the title, little time is spent among fairies and such, but when they do appear, their horrific appearances and actions elicit almost no terror from the certifiable little girl around whom the (lack of?) plot revolves. Slow, drab, boring, disturbing, and without anything positive to say, Pan's Labyrinth is one of the worst movies I've seen. Now if only I had savored all those delectable torture scenes and exploding brains like the "pro" critics seem to have done. Expand
  28. regsmith
    Feb 10, 2010
    This was the most horrifying film I have ever seen. Considering it looked like it was for young children, I couldn't believe the violence and gratuitous horrible torture throughout. It was not my cup of tea and I would not recommend it to anyone, there was no value to it unlike Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan where the story line at least made one understand the This was the most horrifying film I have ever seen. Considering it looked like it was for young children, I couldn't believe the violence and gratuitous horrible torture throughout. It was not my cup of tea and I would not recommend it to anyone, there was no value to it unlike Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan where the story line at least made one understand the violence. I know this was about war and the horrors of war, but I sure could have lived without seeing this film. It was rated R but I think it should have been rated "Don't bother." Expand
  29. TroncoE.
    Jun 7, 2010
    Netiher Goebbels could have done a better work... Luckyly, is not so easy to change the history. Spanish Fascism also ate the children... "La pasionaria", one of the famous republicans's leaders said once to another politician who had just spoken: "those were that man last words". Two days later, Sotelo was murdered by republicans assassins.
  30. GiulioP.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Stay away from this film unless you would like to see pointless violence, a vapid heroine, two dimensional characters, and boring seen-it-before art direction. This film is a complete loss and a waste of time.
  31. ZimonZ.
    Jan 14, 2007
    The high ratings for the movie are absurd - there is very little original or imaginative here - we've seen it all before a thousand times. The story is pointless, the little girl is really stupid, and the violence adds nothing. It's a total wreck.
  32. E.K.
    Jan 20, 2007
    Maybe if I had been able to get past the unrelenting nonsensical violence and gone, I might have been able to enjoy this. I agree wholeheartedly with the comments about the deceptive advertising of this film--I was expecting much less blood and much more fantasy... and maybe a few points of light throughout the film. I left feeling depressed and unfulfilled.
  33. DavidG.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Dull, uninspiring, trite, over the top and clichéd. The ending? Give me a break.
  34. FrederickD.
    Jan 7, 2007
    This would be a timeless and classic movie had del Toro enjoyed telling a faery tale as much as he seemed to enjoy depicting graphic violence. The film maintains a delicate balance between fantasy and violent reality for half the film, and then it sinks into violence so extreme, extended and brutal that it wipes out the joy of the fantasy fable. Violence is so extended and graphic in this This would be a timeless and classic movie had del Toro enjoyed telling a faery tale as much as he seemed to enjoy depicting graphic violence. The film maintains a delicate balance between fantasy and violent reality for half the film, and then it sinks into violence so extreme, extended and brutal that it wipes out the joy of the fantasy fable. Violence is so extended and graphic in this film that it reaches the point of being gratuitious. And at that point, it becomes a form of pornography. The joy of the fairy tale, the momentary triumph of the innocent young woman...are overridden the sheer amount of time the director spends depicting graphic violence...spoiling what could have been a moving and enduring story. Expand
  35. InsanelySane
    Feb 11, 2007
    "Pan's Labyrinth" is probably the most disappointing film I have been to in the last few years... I am absolutely gob-smacked for words. How could one give such high praise to a film that is below average on so many levels?! For someone that appreciates foreign films' subtlety and depth this film is anything but. The script is shallow, spells out details that would have been "Pan's Labyrinth" is probably the most disappointing film I have been to in the last few years... I am absolutely gob-smacked for words. How could one give such high praise to a film that is below average on so many levels?! For someone that appreciates foreign films' subtlety and depth this film is anything but. The script is shallow, spells out details that would have been obvious without mention. The plot on paper would have been ok but the execution is confused, boring and cliche'd. I cant believe that this is what I am writing about this highly rated 'adult' 'fantasy'. The acting is obvious without ever feeling sympathy for the characters. The sound design is irritating, harsh on the ears and exaggerated in detail. The music is generic and mixed way too low (maybe that's why...). The camera work is bland. The only good thing seems to be the constumes and sets. Last but not least the violence is gratuitous and of putting and could have done so much better without it. A film like "Apocalypto" used violence that had meaning and celebrated death and pain and the reality of it all. "Pan's Labyrinth" was empty, detached and comical more than anything. Not suitable for those looking for a magical experience at the cinema. Expand
  36. BernieM.
    Feb 10, 2007
    I saw this in its spanish language version in Spain and can only assume that changes were made to get it through with a 15 cert in the UK. Out of politeness for the crowd that I was with, I did not walked away before the end but never have I ever felt so much like doing so. I found out later that the feeling actually was universal! The violent scenes did not just serve to demonstrate the I saw this in its spanish language version in Spain and can only assume that changes were made to get it through with a 15 cert in the UK. Out of politeness for the crowd that I was with, I did not walked away before the end but never have I ever felt so much like doing so. I found out later that the feeling actually was universal! The violent scenes did not just serve to demonstrate the brutality of the character invloved which would have been ok, they were gratuitously violent to the point of being overwhelmingly distracting. The result is a crude film, which has nothing more than some quite nice photography in it at times. I've since seen this film described in cinema literature as a scary fairytale and am horrified to think that Parents might think it ok for young children on the basis that its not an 18 so can't be that bad - my little Johnnyis only twelve but he's mature enough for a 15 cert film..... I'm occasionally disappointed by a film but never have I had one that spoilt my weekend - until I watched El laberinto del Fauna. Expand
  37. DoratJ.
    Feb 14, 2007
    I got disappointed from this movie, the line between fantasy and reality, it didnt overlap, no useful pauses to reflect in the movie. No magic, just boring Spanish faun and completely too hard scenes with blood just to make the audience jump, there is just nothing else to impress us with.
  38. D.D.D.
    Feb 16, 2007
    [***SPOILER***] Pan's Labyrinth is 90% Violence, blood guts & gore. 10% fantasy. This movie is not for the faint of heart. The trailer is misleading. Shooting children is wrong. How do I get my money back? I'm very sorry I wasted my time watching this piece of trash.
  39. W.R.
    Feb 6, 2007
    If you like your movies twisted, depressing, gruesome and full of gratuitous violence then you'll love this but you'd have to be pretty desensitised. If, like me, you like movies that don't give you nightmares afterwards, steer clear. And yes I'm slightly worried about film critics that recommend movies like this for *children*.
  40. AnonymousMC
    Mar 10, 2007
    Some nice visuals, but the film sorely disappoints. I think this director's technical skills matched with a good script could be magnificent, but this is the perhaps the most overrated film I've had the misforute of seeing. I truly feel duped. I am so glad the German film won the oscar.
  41. Preefeld
    Mar 3, 2007
    The story is way too simple and "black and white" to make this movie interesting in any way. Acting is also poor. Oh, and really annoying sound design.
  42. Jack
    May 17, 2007
    Pretentious crap. That's all it takes these days to impress you morons isn't it - oh look it's a magical forest with Satan underneath it and there's oh look there's fascism in it which is a reminder to us all to SUPPORT THE WAR ON TERROR right! Right!! Goddamn sheep.
  43. ER.
    May 3, 2007
    Dross. Riddled with clichés and inexplicable plot holes, not to mention one-dimensional characters. The fantasy sequences were derivative and underplayed, as if the makers were embarrassed to be delving into the genre, and the aspects concentrating on the human characters were nothing that hasn't been seen a hundred times before. The direction and editing were particularly Dross. Riddled with clichés and inexplicable plot holes, not to mention one-dimensional characters. The fantasy sequences were derivative and underplayed, as if the makers were embarrassed to be delving into the genre, and the aspects concentrating on the human characters were nothing that hasn't been seen a hundred times before. The direction and editing were particularly poor: scenes and characters just walked onto the screen with no element of suspense, and were all too frequently tediously predictable. The attempt to mix fairytale fantasy and war film was a real disaster, too; the whole thing seemed very mean-spirited, with even the child's fantasy world being a pretty unpleasant, miserable place, and the overall impression was of a failed attempt to tack an aborted kiddie film onto a mediocre war drama. Most hateful of all was the way the ending was so neat, with the rebels winning and the little girl escaping to her fantasy world to be a princess. Listen up, people: the bad guy DIDN'T die at the end of the Spanish Civil War, he WON it. Watch a film that doesn't try to hide this; watch something which doesn't try to impose a limp, cop-out ending onto it. If you're an adult, you shouldn't watch Pan's Labyrinth, because of its oversimplified, obvious nature; if you're a child, you shouldn't watch it because of its jarring violence. Just because a film tries to tackle "issues" doesn't mean it succeeds. Expand
  44. RaptormanS.
    Jun 11, 2007
    This had to be one of the most boring, lifeless and surprisingly graphic fairie tale wanna-be movies I have ever seen. I have no idea why the critics loved it so much. I hated it and nearly turned it off after the first 30 minutes. We rented Apocalypto the same night expecting it to be exceedingly gory... which it was...., but wasn't expecting the exceptionally graphic violence in This had to be one of the most boring, lifeless and surprisingly graphic fairie tale wanna-be movies I have ever seen. I have no idea why the critics loved it so much. I hated it and nearly turned it off after the first 30 minutes. We rented Apocalypto the same night expecting it to be exceedingly gory... which it was...., but wasn't expecting the exceptionally graphic violence in Pan. Apocalpto worked... pan didn't. There were a variety of other things that somewhat disturbed me as well including some casually concealed political undertones and not so casually concealed allusions to hell/satan/evil etc. (and no I'm not a holy roller in the least! :) ) Definitely not a kids movie. Not much of one for adults either. 2 for the graphics and acting on "Faun", otherwise 0. Expand
  45. PessieJ.
    Jun 19, 2007
    A terribly over-hyped steaming heap of cartoonish values. A propaganda wolf in young adult's movie clothing. The values of this director seem as fascist as it's central bad character. There is no need for quotes around "bad"!
  46. Mike
    Jun 3, 2007
    Hate it the first time I seen it. Seen it again on DVD and I still felt the same way. This is one movie that is way over hyped, it only recieved a high score as it did, because its a foreign film.
  47. AnonymousMC
    Feb 10, 2008
    I thought this was unmitigated rubbish. It didn't say anything meaningful that I could discern. The 'real world' was just violence, violence, violence, with absolutely no exploration of the real and important politics behind what was happening. The fantasy world was silly, incoherent and without any sense of real magic.
  48. PaulW.
    Mar 5, 2008
    I'm not much of a wardrama movie fan, but sometimes a genre film can raise itself through a good or original storyline and or sub story. Labirinto doesn't at all. It offers nothing more than a meandering tale about the evil of men, which's message is brought far too directly to make any impact. People that taut this movie as a fairytale should consider watching the movie I'm not much of a wardrama movie fan, but sometimes a genre film can raise itself through a good or original storyline and or sub story. Labirinto doesn't at all. It offers nothing more than a meandering tale about the evil of men, which's message is brought far too directly to make any impact. People that taut this movie as a fairytale should consider watching the movie again with a timer. Perhaps only 7% of this movie deals with what can vaguely be described as a fairytale, although I would rather like to call it fable-imagery. We didn't call Kill Bill a Manga movie either just because it had some Manga scenes in it, now did we. Although it was beautifully shot and contained good acting, this movie was bland and over the top at the same time. At no point are you required to think because the movie exposes everything it touches upon. It was just that year's cinematic darling and the audiences slavishly followed suit. Expand
  49. VictorH.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Me and a buddy saw this movie one night, and halfway through the film he begged me to switch to another movie. I insisted that we saw it through because of the metascore, but at the end I almost fell asleep. The whole World War II / Fantasy mix is the most boring plot ever and never makes any sense.
  50. kevinc
    Apr 10, 2009
    Are you fraking kidding me. First off, don't ever call this a horror movie. Secondly, it sucked. If I wanted to see scary little gremlins and elfs I would have watched Lord of the Rings...which also sucked, might I add. What is it with all the dorks out there and their love for weird ogres and elfs? Gay. Bad movie.
  51. MattC
    May 27, 2009
    Pretty slow and terrible movie, in my opinion. The best part was when it ended. Who comes up with this crap, and why does it get such a high rating?? It's on the "All-Time Highest Rated" chart? Are you kidding?
  52. ThomasN.
    Jan 19, 2007
    This movie has been vastly overrated, and the television advertising is terribly deceptive. The storyline concerning the fantasy world takes up only 10% of the screen time, with much of the remaining time consisting of nearly unrelenting graphic violence and torture. Be warned--the violence in this film is much bloodier and more sadistic than in "The Godfather" or "Silence of the Lambs." This movie has been vastly overrated, and the television advertising is terribly deceptive. The storyline concerning the fantasy world takes up only 10% of the screen time, with much of the remaining time consisting of nearly unrelenting graphic violence and torture. Be warned--the violence in this film is much bloodier and more sadistic than in "The Godfather" or "Silence of the Lambs." More shamefully, the violence is used to shore up what, in the end, turns out to be a rather monotonous and poorly developed story. There is little in the way of character development, and the fairytale storyline is, for all intents and purposes, incoherently dropped one-third of the way into the film. Sure the movie has an emotional wallop, but being hit over the head with a 2x4 also leaves a lasting impression. (To paraphrase an old joke: Why see this movie? Because it feels so good when it's over!) I've been warning all of my friends about this movie, and I obtained a refund based on the grossly misleading advertising campaign. Expand
  53. Drew
    Jan 19, 2007
    HORRIBLY OVERRATED! How can this receive a 98/100??? It wasn't even as good as Chronicles of Narnia (and that movie sucked). I guarantee if this was an English-speaking film made by an American filmmaker it would have been rated around a 50/100. It was pretty to look at but there was zero plot or character development, leading to a final act that was implausible and unsatisfying. Out HORRIBLY OVERRATED! How can this receive a 98/100??? It wasn't even as good as Chronicles of Narnia (and that movie sucked). I guarantee if this was an English-speaking film made by an American filmmaker it would have been rated around a 50/100. It was pretty to look at but there was zero plot or character development, leading to a final act that was implausible and unsatisfying. Out of the four movies I Expand
  54. MiKE
    Jan 22, 2007
    I really wanted to get into the movie, but it didn't happen. There's no magic here, its just a very dull boring movie, and to spice things up the director put in extreme violence! Which did not offend me at all. I just didnt see the point in all the graphics scenes. This movie isnt for children or adults. Overall a very huge disappointment, could if be that it recieved all the I really wanted to get into the movie, but it didn't happen. There's no magic here, its just a very dull boring movie, and to spice things up the director put in extreme violence! Which did not offend me at all. I just didnt see the point in all the graphics scenes. This movie isnt for children or adults. Overall a very huge disappointment, could if be that it recieved all the great reviews becasue it was a spanish movie?? I think so. Expand
  55. Jeff
    Feb 9, 2007
    Enjoyed the visual presentation. Bored by the graffic violence. Overall a yawner. Ended up reading e-mails on my Blackberry instead of watching.
  56. LinL.
    Feb 9, 2007
    i must say that this is one of the most over-rated films i'd ever seen. i've seen the director's other work and liked it. he was more of a theatre director in "the devil's backbone," but at least he tried. in pan's labyrinth i find a horrifically thin and lazy story, with characters barely developed but all very pretty for the eyes, doing stupid things without any i must say that this is one of the most over-rated films i'd ever seen. i've seen the director's other work and liked it. he was more of a theatre director in "the devil's backbone," but at least he tried. in pan's labyrinth i find a horrifically thin and lazy story, with characters barely developed but all very pretty for the eyes, doing stupid things without any apparent motives. strip away the special effects and the violence, there're only a few very conventional storylines hastily interwoven together without traction or necessity. the acting was ok, yet with the exception of the actor who played mercedes, annoyingly one-dimensional and unengaging. and the movie's heart is a horrendously dark one, with the meek saved but unredempt, and the victors seeking vengeance. an intellectually and spiritually bankrupt movie, and no amount of pretty special effect or pretty faces can save it. Collapse
  57. AnthonyB.
    Feb 9, 2007
    Good Visuals and monsters. Lacked interesting story. They did good job keeping hidden the fact that the whole movie is in subtitles. Besides the monsters, this movie is worth waiting to see until it comes on tv so you have a chance to turn it off.
  58. JunichiF.
    Apr 2, 2007
    One of the worst film of the year. I was terribly disappointed because I have heard so much good things about the film. Shallow story, cheap effects, and bad acting makes for a very frustrating 2 hours.
  59. MichaeltenPas
    Apr 30, 2007
    There were two different plots in this story: the one about the people caught up in a war and then some attempt at a fairy tale. Both came across as underdeveloped and entirely unconnected.
  60. PE
    May 5, 2007
    A very disappointing film, especially after all the hype. The characters are crudely drawn to the point of parody and the fantasy sequences lack magic. The Fascists are laughably evil and the resistance fighters handsome and are noble. This is a travesty of a war film married to a poorly-realised fantasy. The cop-out ending is especially irritating.
  61. TracyC.
    Jun 13, 2007
    Grossly and unnecessarily violent.
  62. EricE.
    Jun 14, 2007
    I felt totally ripped off by this movie. Nowhere in the ads, commercials, or anything I heard about this film, did it say the movie was in spanish. Granted the back of the DVD had a small box that said it was in spanish, but, since the commercials talked about other films he was involved with, I didn't think to look to see it was not in english. Not once in any commercials I sawI felt totally ripped off by this movie. Nowhere in the ads, commercials, or anything I heard about this film, did it say the movie was in spanish. Granted the back of the DVD had a small box that said it was in spanish, but, since the commercials talked about other films he was involved with, I didn't think to look to see it was not in english. Not once in any commercials I saw for the film did any of the characters speak to show that it was in a different language than the majority of DVDs that you hear about on english channels on TV. I have no problems with spanish movies, I would just like to know they are in spanish before spending my money on them and not being able to return them because they are opened. In the least you would think that a movie would have an english track on it since it was being advertised so heavily (and IMO deceptively) on all types of english channels. Looking back on the advertising I saw how deceptive they were in their ads. Not once did they show anyone speaking. They just showed some graphics, then talked about the producer and the other films he's done (english speaking movies), and then compared it to the Lord of the Rings. It might be a great movie but they should be honest about it and say that it is subtitled in english or that it is in spanish. That is what I am mad about. That is what I will be sure to look for on any future purchases! Expand
  63. Ashl.
    Jun 25, 2007
    One of the most boring movies I have seen in a long time. I hate fantasy movies and this one is just an adult's wet dream. Can somebody in the fantasy genre please tell the writers to get over the come-to-life trees. 98 by metacritic... this site is flawed!
  64. JasminC.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Trite and overdone, hoping to score authenticity points with excessive violence.
  65. anonymousanonymous
    Feb 29, 2008
    This movie sucked flat out. I really don't see what there was to like about it. The fantasy elements were shallow and simplistic, and lacking in characters, location, and screen time. The real world scenarios were simply mediocre. None of the characters were likable or believable. There was no exploration of the mechanisms behind the conflict except for some naive black and white This movie sucked flat out. I really don't see what there was to like about it. The fantasy elements were shallow and simplistic, and lacking in characters, location, and screen time. The real world scenarios were simply mediocre. None of the characters were likable or believable. There was no exploration of the mechanisms behind the conflict except for some naive black and white paradigm. The violence was pointless, it was like the movie was trying to reaffirm for two hours "look at this guy, he is EVIL, EVIL, EVIL!". The little girl is a shallow idiot. There was about as much personality in this film as in an aquarium. Expand
  66. BazL
    May 13, 2008
    Woeful plot. Good animation here and there but thats about all I can say that is good about this movie. Why is it that directors assume their audiences to be dumb and weave about unbelievable plots? Not only that but they give their characters 1/2 the IQ of an average person? God help us if Del Toro turns the Hobbit into another Pans labyrinth.
  67. MiguelV
    Apr 2, 2009
    This movie has two parts. One explains who where the good guys and bad guys in the Spanish civil war, for the thousandth time and with simple and recognizable stereotypes so there is no chance you miss it. So, If you are a complete moron you must see it, if not, you do yourself a favor passing. The other part is a fantasy plot with nothing new or remotely interesting. I can't believe This movie has two parts. One explains who where the good guys and bad guys in the Spanish civil war, for the thousandth time and with simple and recognizable stereotypes so there is no chance you miss it. So, If you are a complete moron you must see it, if not, you do yourself a favor passing. The other part is a fantasy plot with nothing new or remotely interesting. I can't believe the rating it got here. Expand
  68. VRC
    May 10, 2009
    Poor very poor. I so wanted to like this movie but it missed the mark totally. There was one moment of terror in this movie but was not worth waiting for. A really slow movie with such little substance I am amazed it got such a high rating from critics Avoid.
  69. Icecream
    Feb 12, 2010
    I give a 5 or 6 but i just cant comprehend how metacritic says its 3rd best film ever!!! I can think of a hundred movies I would watch before this one. Lets think logically here is one russel crowe Gladiator off the top of head is better than this! UNBELIEVABLE.
  70. RobertaL.
    Jan 12, 2007
    I coundn't get past the sickening violence and scenes of torture; I had to leave the room twice, came back to see it to the bitter end, only to find out that violence was entirely gratuitous to an otherwise engaging story.
  71. MA
    Nov 5, 2007
    An awful excuse for a fantasy film. Well shot - that's for sure. but other than that, an utter joke that this has been so highly praised.
  72. CoreyF
    Oct 17, 2007
    98? are u kidding me this movie was terribly overhyped and just plain sucked
  73. RyanC.
    Jan 18, 2007
    This movie was a major disappointment. I can't say it was horrible because it was generally entertaining with some great visuals, but a 97/100? If this film did not have such an inflated score I would normally have given it a 6 or 7. I realise a zero may not be in the best taste but for the sake of future readers the score needs to be lowered.
  74. DougR.
    Apr 26, 2007
    What an ostentatious, pretentiious, lugubriously paced, maundering piece of arthouse-with-a-budget folderol... loved the handsome "revolutionaries" in their matching issaye mikaye wraps.
  75. JackMeHoff
    Apr 28, 2007
    This movie sucked monkey testicles. I would rather be sodomized by a rusty jack hammer than sit throught this piece of crap again! The entire movie was gay and in Mexican. And before you see it, you should smash your face in with a bat, so that you won't remember it.
  76. RSenkbeil
    Jun 17, 2007
    Did not like this one at all. I found it boring and drab. Not really sure why it got such good ratings from the critics. The only enjoyment I got from this film was from trying to translate the Spanish without the subtitles - I quit watching it after about 45 minutes because it was so unnecessarily violent - but I left in on in the background. This guy should have painted a picture Did not like this one at all. I found it boring and drab. Not really sure why it got such good ratings from the critics. The only enjoyment I got from this film was from trying to translate the Spanish without the subtitles - I quit watching it after about 45 minutes because it was so unnecessarily violent - but I left in on in the background. This guy should have painted a picture instead of making a movie - he could have disturbed us in an instant rather than making a feature length film out of gore that we felt obligated to watch because we paid to see it. I would rather have been given a choice. Expand
  77. TravisF.
    Feb 18, 2008
    I laughed when I read how well this movie was rated. I walked out of the theatre upset that I stayed for the entire time. Not even the best movie with Labyrinth in the title.
  78. NathanielZ.
    Aug 29, 2008
    I'm going to be honest to Director del Toro, because if he was here right now, I'd torture him like one of the tortured martyrs in his obsolete "movie". I loathed it so much that I had to stop watching it for some 5 minutes, thinking about why those Mexicans or Spanish people had no common sense to release this to an English-speaking audience and then come back to watch the rest I'm going to be honest to Director del Toro, because if he was here right now, I'd torture him like one of the tortured martyrs in his obsolete "movie". I loathed it so much that I had to stop watching it for some 5 minutes, thinking about why those Mexicans or Spanish people had no common sense to release this to an English-speaking audience and then come back to watch the rest of this poorly made fantasy! That's how much I abhorred it! It's so ambiguous and silly, I can't possibly understand why critics rendered it with praise! But- Let me just stop my ranting and clarify- in lucid English that the obese del Toro can understand- why this movie was so repulsive. Violence, well hey! It's in almost every single movie! But in this one, the violence is unrealistic. Let me explain why... 1. Why is there so much blood? I mean, I'm not symbolically protesting, but practically, human blood does not hemmorage that profusely, study some anatomy! 2. The battles are so unrealistic, how can the so-called "Capitan" be killing off guerrillas from long-range with a luger pistol that only fires short-range? Study marksmanship! 3. How can blood be flowing from Ofelia's nose?(See! They can't even spell "Ophelia" right!) When she's shot in the stomach? Again, study some anatomy! This movie is also filled with so many Hollywood cliches to make you shiver, the Captain is the only one that implies the scariness in the film, but balance the role of frightening authority to other people! Stupid! Unfortunately, I cannot waste valuable time in my life criticizing this movie, I have so many distastes for it, that I cannot fill them all here. However, I have one detail to praise in this movie, the art direction, that was the most superb aspect that gave the film it's brightness, but not reason, I feel sorry for the people at the art direction department of production, they had to work with a director that was an obese jerk and they had to be responsible for abetting the production of the most poorly made fantasy flick next to the Lord of the Rings... ...And oh, speaking of the Lord of the Rings, del Toro's going to screw up the Tolkien legendarium even more by making a Hobbit companion movie (sheesh! You are unskilled)... ...And by the way, Tolkien is always screwed up. Expand
  79. CricketC.
    Sep 29, 2008
    I did not like it. the fantasy figures were too obscure. The movie was shown as part of a foreign film series at the local college. Only 30% of the class showed up. Probably had seen it before.
  80. JerryKid
    Dec 21, 2009
    This movie was terrible! Its entire message is facists are bad + lots of violence to illustrate that. Throw in some fancy CG and you have the entire movie. Why do people like this?
  81. EK
    Dec 19, 2009
    STOP, DO NOT WATCH it, its violent, stupid movie. They confused all the good and bad, a lot of blood, little girl dealing with devil and later on devil becomes an angel. STUPIDITY should have a limit. What is good showing as a bad, and what is bad shows in thi movie as agood. don't dpend your time and money, better spend your energy on something positive.
  82. Jan 14, 2015
    One of the worst movies i've ever seen! Great visual effects, horrible story and a huge mind f11k for you! Don't waste your time on this s5it! 2 out of 10!
  83. May 25, 2015
    This movies was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life! Maybe I feel that way because the score it has on so many sites. It has so, so many stupid moments, it's rather a pathetic excuse for a movie! Don't watch it, you are wasting your time!

I only made an account on metacritic to bash on this movie, that's how much I hated it, I mean it's so overrated, oh my dear god, I want my two hours back! I've never ever disliked a movie this much. Are the people who gave the movie 10/10 blind, are they mentally slow? In conclusion, don't waste your time, if you watch it, please spot the cliche in the movie, the sheer stupidity of some of their actions is unimaginable!

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.