Pan's Labyrinth

8.6

1. DanMayer
    Mar 4, 2008
    This is one incredible film, from start to finish. Hands down, one of the greatest films I have ever seen.

To the reviewers that gave it poor reviews: I agree that the marketing was completely misleading, it was not what I was expecting. But to comment that there was "no exploration of the real and important politics behind what was happening" is missing the entire point of the film. The film is about a young girl coping with the horrors of war and fascism, not about the events actually going on.
  2. KakesarS.
    Apr 7, 2008
    I really can't understand where some of these ridiculously negative views of the movie are coming from, other than the fact that in some ways the movie has been slightly overrated. Still, it certainly doesn't deserve such a harsh rating as 4, letalone 0. The movie was dark and emotional. There was enough fantasy to satisfy and the switching between harsh reality and mystical I really can't understand where some of these ridiculously negative views of the movie are coming from, other than the fact that in some ways the movie has been slightly overrated. Still, it certainly doesn't deserve such a harsh rating as 4, letalone 0. The movie was dark and emotional. There was enough fantasy to satisfy and the switching between harsh reality and mystical adventure brought a very powerful twist to the movie. I felt that the few violent scenes were well placed and did well to demonstrate the barbaric and sadistic behaviour of the fascist stepfather. That said, I was slightly disappointed as I feel the movie could have offered more. Unlike some people, though, I'm not going to give the movie a bad score just because it had untapped potential - it was still a fantastic viewing experience. Expand
  3. KeaneS
    Jun 16, 2008
    Simply one of the best movies i have ever seen. Beautifully produced and directed, great visuals, and an awesome story. I disagree with Baz regarding the unbelievable plot. The movie is meant to be half fantasy half reality, the true meaning or significance is largely left to interpretation by the audience. Also the characters IQ, i dont know who specifically Baz refers to but i believe Simply one of the best movies i have ever seen. Beautifully produced and directed, great visuals, and an awesome story. I disagree with Baz regarding the unbelievable plot. The movie is meant to be half fantasy half reality, the true meaning or significance is largely left to interpretation by the audience. Also the characters IQ, i dont know who specifically Baz refers to but i believe she is referring to a part (i wont reveal it) involving the child character in the story in which case simple mistakes are just a common child error. Definitely worth a try. Expand
  4. AndrewB.
    Jul 10, 2008
    A beautiful, emotional, and spellbinding film that is the single best film I've seen in 2006.
  5. EmmaN.
    Jul 19, 2008
    Brilliant movie. It's so refreshing to watch a film like this. Each scene was obviously very well thought out. The sound and picture seemed so beautifully crisp. Marvelous.
  6. JoshuaO.
    Aug 15, 2008
    For all the naysayers who gave this movie a low score, i'm sorry that you have zero imagination and must be spoon fed a boring run of the mill plot. But for those who enjoy the strange and enthralling worlds of mythos and fables, you will enjoy this movie. To end it I will say 4 words! BOTTLE IN THE FACE!
  7. DavidO.
    Sep 29, 2008
    A beautifully told allegory about power, love, innocence.. I could go on, but firstly... Nathaniel Z, what are you sniffing?! You say you haven't got time to properly criticize the movie. Well, don't. Your self-important opinions are misguided and, at their worst, completely irrelevant. For example, you say Del Toro is obese, but my next door neighbor has an orange cat (and if A beautifully told allegory about power, love, innocence.. I could go on, but firstly... Nathaniel Z, what are you sniffing?! You say you haven't got time to properly criticize the movie. Well, don't. Your self-important opinions are misguided and, at their worst, completely irrelevant. For example, you say Del Toro is obese, but my next door neighbor has an orange cat (and if that confuses you, you've just subtly got my point)... Del Toro rocks. I could hug his big, cuddly ass. P.S. What are you even doing reading this anyway? I won't be bothering; better things to do. Expand
  8. BrettK
    Oct 10, 2009
    Very good movie. Reminded me of a cross between Schindler's List and The Secret Garden.
  9. DianaB
    Oct 28, 2009
    Really good story of the Spanish Civil War and its effect on a little girl.
  10. MrF
    Feb 1, 2009
    Deadly yet beautiful, I still can't get over how amazing this film was! Great in every way, my fav. P.S. If you find yourself giving it less then an 8 you just don't get the movie (or have a weak stomach)
  11. DreH
    Jun 25, 2009
    Those who gave this movie below a 7 probably aren't very credible voters. This movie is beautiful on so many levels. This movie isn't slow. This movie isn't for those with ADD, this isnt a fast action thriller... I thin a lot of people do not realize that this is not an American made movie, but are judging i on American standards.
  12. AndrewC.
    Jul 13, 2009
    Would give it a 9.5 if I could but rounding down I go to a '9'. @ Matt C: What movie were you hoping to see when you went and saw this film? I get the feeling you just want to coast through life, movies, and the universe, with nothing taxing your brain throughout the whole safe, bland experience. @ Brian L: I would not call the violence in this movie 'exquisite', but Would give it a 9.5 if I could but rounding down I go to a '9'. @ Matt C: What movie were you hoping to see when you went and saw this film? I get the feeling you just want to coast through life, movies, and the universe, with nothing taxing your brain throughout the whole safe, bland experience. @ Brian L: I would not call the violence in this movie 'exquisite', but neither do I agree with all your negative inaccuracies about the film. There is horror in this film, to be sure. And it is brutal and shocking - I guarantee you that's how it happened in real life. I hate to break it to you, but humans can be more monstrous than any fantastical creature. In sync and alongside the horrifying way humans treat each other in the film is the fantastical element of the piece. No, it's not Disney - and you seem upset by this. I am not sure what you were expecting but I think you were definitely on the wrong track mate, regarding fairies and what-have-you. The torture scenes were very tastefully done - you barely see anything, but are left with a lot of nasty things to the imagination. You mentioned exploding brains - not a one to be seen - are you mixing this film up with a more mindless horror flick? I graduated from film school. but I am not a 'pro reviewer', as you say: I just see and appreciate the movie for what it is, don't let any preconceived ideas taint my online text. My quick summary of this film - honestly a truly powerful film. A quite stunning blend of brutal history with an seamless injection of fantasy that has to be seen to be understood how effortlessly it entwines into the story. In fact, I don't think I've experienced another film that blends reality and fantasy as seamlessly as this film. The only detraction for me is the ultimate ending, and even this is fine except for certain little things. The 'correct choice' at the end seems rather cliched, in the sense that the film deals with it very quickly and moves on with such speed that it feels we are running out of time. However, apart from that small flaw this film truly is quite incredible. I encourage all of you to watch this film - you probably won't see anything quite as incredible for a few years to come. Expand
  13. JoeB
    Jul 1, 2009
    A brilliant mix of fantasy, brutal violence, and horror in Del Toro's masterpiece.
  14. SandraS
    Jan 6, 2010
    You should know a bit more about the spanish history and u will understand that the movie is not as violent as the true. Its a wonderful way to show us the cruel true.
  15. EfraimA.
    Feb 6, 2010
    Interesting movie, very freaky and weird at first... but the story is incredible and the acting is inconceivable.
  16. RyanK.
    May 2, 2010
    This is definitely one of the best movies ever. It is so compelling story-wise and has a lot of meaning behind it.
  17. JosephP
    Jun 18, 2010
    This movie focuses more on the real world Spanish civil war rather than the fantasy element, although it terrifically interwoven into the plot. For those who complain about the high level of gore, i completely agree but you must realise the Spanish civil war is the 'bloodiest' war to date in human history, and infact the violence is actually tremendously toned down. Unless you This movie focuses more on the real world Spanish civil war rather than the fantasy element, although it terrifically interwoven into the plot. For those who complain about the high level of gore, i completely agree but you must realise the Spanish civil war is the 'bloodiest' war to date in human history, and infact the violence is actually tremendously toned down. Unless you know a bit of Spanish history, I'd recommend you study up before watching this movie, as this is a MUST SEE. If you are a close-minded person or don't like the big bad world, don't watch it and stop littering the score with 0's. Expand
  18. GattW
    Grand.
  19. GustavoF
    Dec 29, 2006
    Just beautful. In every way. I won't say any more, just go see it. Saw this in Madrid last month and I really recommend everyone in the States goes and sees it.
  20. BobS.
    Dec 29, 2006
    Really really good - you must see Pan's Labyrinth.
  21. B.Crowly
    Dec 31, 2006
    Absolutely incredible. Brought me close tears, and hasn't left my mind since I saw it...one of the very best films i have ever seen.
  22. AaronS.
    Dec 30, 2006
    One of the year's very best films. A dazzling mix of fantasy, horror, politics and history. It's an exhilarating and damn near fautless film. A must see on the large screen.
  23. NicholasF.
    Jan 11, 2007
    Personally i think this is the greatest movie of all time, its mix of reality and fantasy makes this the ultimate movie to be seen by our children and so forth. this movie is no for the weak of mind which is where any bad reviews came from. if any movie deserves higher than a 10, its this one
  24. SarahBeckett
    Nov 19, 2007
    Some people really get on my nerves. Do the people giving this film a zero honestly think that it's the worst film ever and undeserving of a single point towards its name. Quit wasting intelligent people's time with your idiotic reviews and go back to watching Norbit and Big Mommas House 2. It's heartbreaking for me to see these bad reviews for a film so undeserving of them.
  25. JeffreyL.
    Jan 10, 2007
    I initially went to see this movie thinking it was a fantasy movie, a mistake that has been made by many it seems like, though I wasn't disappointed to find out that it wasn't as much a fantasy as it was a war drama. This was one of the best movie going experiences of my life. after screening the movie I wasn't able to get out of my head. I can't stop thinking about I initially went to see this movie thinking it was a fantasy movie, a mistake that has been made by many it seems like, though I wasn't disappointed to find out that it wasn't as much a fantasy as it was a war drama. This was one of the best movie going experiences of my life. after screening the movie I wasn't able to get out of my head. I can't stop thinking about it. I will be forced a second viewing just so i can think of something else except Pan's Labyrinth. Expand
  26. NickM
    Jan 12, 2007
    A rich, beautiful and profound film.
  27. Timmy
    Jan 13, 2007
    In Pan's Labyrinth, Del Toro masterfully reminds us of the dark emotions that are tucked away in each one of us, lovingly cuts each one open, oozing just enough for our souls to willingly drown.
  28. MarcD.
    Jan 13, 2007
    Disappointing. After peeping the 97 Metascore on this site, I was expecting...more. More gorgeous visuals. More nightmarish monsters. More lullabies into the dreamy world which del Toro was creating. Just...more. Ultimately, I felt short changed. The movie was good...but very...far short on the promise.
  29. RobA
    Jan 13, 2007
    I drove 50 miles to see this movie and after having seen it, I would have driven 100. It was amazing. Best movie I have seen in a looooong time.
  30. AdrianA.
    Jan 13, 2007
    incredible storyline very deep to the point that some people are unsure if the faun and the fairies were real or if it was just her imagining everything to try to escape reality. I believe it was just her mind making up for the horror of her life so the bad reviews and calling it a Mexican SciFi came from someone unable to comprehend the true message of a story like this.
  31. HarryP.
    Jan 13, 2007
    When the films of 2006 are talked about, years from now, this will be seen as the Everest among the foothills of the piedmont.
  32. AbeS.
    Jan 14, 2007
    I swear this is the best movie I have seen in my whole life. The story is perfect also the setting and the actors. YOU MUST GO AND SEE IT.
  33. LanaL.
    Nov 4, 2007
    A good movie. Possible answer to Zabbock, she might've drawn upward cause it would be more difficult for the wrinkler to climb upwards.
  34. LarryL.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Best film I've seen in 35 years. A masterwork of originality -- I really don't have the language for how good Pan's Labyrinth is.
  35. IsraelB.
    Jan 15, 2007
    Excellent movie, the best of all 2006. I can´t think of nothing else but this movie. Del Toro is a true master of this kind of movie, really, you can´t miss this one.
  36. ClintonM.
    Jan 15, 2007
    This lyrical movie was one of the saddest I have ever seen. Its battle scenes seemed to be heavy-handed at times, and the screenplay on the whole could have been stronger. Nevertheless, it is an extraordinary movie of breathtaking vision.
  37. JaimeB.
    Jan 16, 2007
    Maybe not everybody agrees with the story but the film itself is a masterpiece. It's very different from what Hollywood usually does, Del Toro now is among the greatest filmmakers. His imagination is inspiring. I´m very glad to have had the opportunity to see this movie.
  38. IanD.
    Jan 16, 2007
    If Pan's Labyrinth was a book it would be a Gabriel Garcia Marquez at the height of his powers. Moving, beautiful and deeply moral. I can't wait to see it again.
  39. Filmfan
    Jan 17, 2007
    This is a must see film. It has qualities similar to the Rings films--an engaging tale being told as fate unfolds. My most serious criticism is too much graphic violence, which the filmmaker probably thought supported a grotesque atmosphere.
  40. ChrisC
    Jan 19, 2007
    Incredible movie. Incredible contrast between the fantasy escapism plotline and the gritty real world plotline. It's like a fairy tale, except bloody. The commercials were deceptive, but your expectations being off the mark wasn't the movie's fault.
  41. KevinC.
    Jan 21, 2007
    Splendid. This film is beautifully shot, the SFX are astounding, the acting -- especially Ivana Baquero -- is sterling, and the multi-layered maessages resonate throughout. One of, if not the, best films I've ever seen.
  42. LeslieC.
    Jan 21, 2007
    This is a brilliant movie which is made for mature audiences that are willing to put in the effort to THINK about the deeper context of the film, rather than serve as eyecandy for the easily swayed. That said. people who gave it a zero were clearly having a brain fart while watching it.WATCH IT.
  43. DavidH.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Works on so many levels, intellectual and visceral, artistic, humanistic and historical, with gripping peformances, stunning visual effects that are seamlessly part of the narrative. The cinematography is rich and appropriate to the moment, the score unobtrusive but persuasive. What a vision this man has! To me, the most original film in a long time.
  44. BryanS.
    Jan 2, 2007
    One of the best films I've ever seen...6 times.
  45. PeterM.
    Jan 2, 2007
    Is it fable or political commentary......or vice versa? Either way, it's fantastic.
  46. Sarah
    Jan 2, 2007
    An extremely captivating movie and highly recommended.
    Jan 2, 2007
    A graceful and amazing film of historic proportions.
  48. KerryM.
    Jan 21, 2007
    This movie was GOOD, not GREAT. It is visually spectacular, yet definitely not a 4-star movie. Avoiding spoilers, I would say only that it is not what you think it would be. The previews make it sound like a fairy tale. While it does have a fairy tale elemement and things tie together, the magical element is only half of the movie. I would describe this movie as a fairy tale within a This movie was GOOD, not GREAT. It is visually spectacular, yet definitely not a 4-star movie. Avoiding spoilers, I would say only that it is not what you think it would be. The previews make it sound like a fairy tale. While it does have a fairy tale elemement and things tie together, the magical element is only half of the movie. I would describe this movie as a fairy tale within a gritty and violent movie. I do recommend this movie, but just be aware that is isn't along the lines of Mirror Mask, Labrynth, or the Never Ending Story. Also, it is definitely not for children! Expand
  49. FrancoC.
    Jan 21, 2007
    An absolutely fantastic movie. the visuals are fantastic, the story line is deeply engrossing and the sheer complexity of the story, the great allusions and scenes it gives us is wonderful.
  50. M.S.
    Jan 20, 2007
    Before I say anything about this movie I would just like to ask a few questions. Is the violence in this movie as gratituous or as brutal as many of the reviewers here would suggest? The answer to that question is no. The violence was by no means as gruesome or as intrusive to the film's messages as many of these score keepers suggest. I apologize but this isn't Hostel. Can you Before I say anything about this movie I would just like to ask a few questions. Is the violence in this movie as gratituous or as brutal as many of the reviewers here would suggest? The answer to that question is no. The violence was by no means as gruesome or as intrusive to the film's messages as many of these score keepers suggest. I apologize but this isn't Hostel. Can you be THAT squeamish? My belief is a few of you don't believe that a contemporary piece can possibly merit such critical acclaim. As many of you have pointed out, you wanted to see that 98 go down a notch. Ok. Your vote only affects user scores, idiots. With that out of the way, I would like to announce that this is one of the most beautifully directed and realized films of the year. Though it's plot may be simple and the special effects may not devour the screen, the stark and grim reality of what is seen is portrayed with an unflinching love for what is possible in our minds. If anything, my only complaint would be that the fantasy world of Ophelia, the main character, was not seen enough. But I realize that this was necessary. It shows how the greed, bloodlust, and chaos of our world affects the minds of the young and the curious and how the real world's scary tendencies are not forgotten within the imagination. The scene with the horrifying "Pale Man" is the perfect example. A hideous and bloodthirsty, yet totally fantasized entity wishing to do harm to Ophelia. This helps emphasize on the truth that pain and fear as well as love and laughter encompass all worlds, whether fictional or factual. The concepts of our reality never die even if its imagery and logic does. Acting wise this movie is grade A. Every person in the cast makes his or her role believable and vital to the overall presentation. The camera work was gorgeous and the special effects were, if not subtle, breath-taking in their aesthetic. Before I decide to top this review off, I would like to say that the packed theatre I was in clapped loudly and before that clapped a particularly tense yet triumphant escape scene. It had a totally unanimous effect on the crowd, showcasing the genious of the movie's acting, writing, directing, and pacing. This film is not for everyone but for anyone with an open mind, heart, or imagination...please see this. Expand
  51. CynthiaR.
    Jan 21, 2007
    I just saw this movie yesterday inside a packed theater. Two words: absolutely incredible. Del Torro geniously interweaves the fantasy and reality aspects of the film, with the reality being more frightening. The actors were astounding, and although Ivana Baquero did an amazing job portraying the innocent Ofelia, my props go to the captured stuttering soldier who was about to be tortured. I just saw this movie yesterday inside a packed theater. Two words: absolutely incredible. Del Torro geniously interweaves the fantasy and reality aspects of the film, with the reality being more frightening. The actors were astounding, and although Ivana Baquero did an amazing job portraying the innocent Ofelia, my props go to the captured stuttering soldier who was about to be tortured. The fear was just so believable and intense that me and my friends were hiding under our jackets. Another thing to add, some people may have felt that the general was too cruel to be real (my friend said that was the only downer), but I took a course on Spain last semester, and that's really how Franco's dictatorship was like. Overall 10/10. Collapse
  52. DigitalPharaoh
    Jan 20, 2007
    Brilliant...no matter what the last few reviewers wrote. Best movie I've seen in years. Breathtaking fantasy...
  53. SteveO.
    Jan 22, 2007
    A bit disappointing. Yes, this was a good movie, not spectacular. Much potential but didn't capitalize I don't believe. Not That Gory! No worse than Private Ryan. Well shot scenes left a lot of the gore to the imagination so these ppl must have some perverted thoughts. Anywho - worth seeing. But as a fairy talle i would've appreciated a more in depth look into the fantasyA bit disappointing. Yes, this was a good movie, not spectacular. Much potential but didn't capitalize I don't believe. Not That Gory! No worse than Private Ryan. Well shot scenes left a lot of the gore to the imagination so these ppl must have some perverted thoughts. Anywho - worth seeing. But as a fairy talle i would've appreciated a more in depth look into the fantasy world - the tasks in the fantasy world were brief, and not enthralling. and seemingly simple. Seems to me the director wished to say more about the time in history than the story of this little girl and her imagination. The labyrinth could've been done away with - there was no point in having it in the movie. He did nothing with it. It could've been "Pan's Closet" for all intents and purposes. The faun was the most interesting character and did not reveal his purpose - be it self serving or if indeed his purpose was to help Ofelia. Ending was good. Very good Idea for a flick - just didn't explore what had been set up from the beginning as an ingenious fairy tale. Left me wanting more. Good movie though.. Not a masterpiece. Expand
  54. MoL.
    Jan 22, 2007
    An excellent work of abstract film making. It's a movie that obviously has working beneath its surface, and it wears a lot of the thematic elements and metaphors right on its face, but its still excellent, still fascinating, still entertaining. Oh, and one more thing, DO NOT BRING CHILDREN TO THE MOVIE. It's not exactly the whale rider situation where theres some minor An excellent work of abstract film making. It's a movie that obviously has working beneath its surface, and it wears a lot of the thematic elements and metaphors right on its face, but its still excellent, still fascinating, still entertaining. Oh, and one more thing, DO NOT BRING CHILDREN TO THE MOVIE. It's not exactly the whale rider situation where theres some minor technicality that prevents it from pulling a PG or a G. It's violent. Really, really violent. Like, "Oh my god!" followed by covering your eyes violent. Expand
  55. BruceS.
    Jan 20, 2007
    Those who have so selflessly tossed this movie aside for the sake of those of us who go to see movies like Pan's Labyrinth hoping to see Chronicles of Narnia can take a breather and step to the sidelines. Why? Because your opinion doesn't matter, because you obviously have horrible taste in film. Pan's Labyrinth is nothing short of genius. When you leave the theatre, you Those who have so selflessly tossed this movie aside for the sake of those of us who go to see movies like Pan's Labyrinth hoping to see Chronicles of Narnia can take a breather and step to the sidelines. Why? Because your opinion doesn't matter, because you obviously have horrible taste in film. Pan's Labyrinth is nothing short of genius. When you leave the theatre, you will be instantly reminded of what this film puts you through, and you will be all the wiser having seen it. Expand
  56. mike
    Dec 27, 2007
    Definitely a cool movie. It's the only movie I know of that mixes graphic violence with fairy tale sequences. It also shows the terrors of war from the eyes of a child, and it sheds some light on how a child might comprehend all of it by creating some elaborate fantasy. It's not actually the most entertaining movie of the year, in fact it can be boring at times, it's justDefinitely a cool movie. It's the only movie I know of that mixes graphic violence with fairy tale sequences. It also shows the terrors of war from the eyes of a child, and it sheds some light on how a child might comprehend all of it by creating some elaborate fantasy. It's not actually the most entertaining movie of the year, in fact it can be boring at times, it's just one of the most unique movies of the year. My advice is to go into with the goal of experiencing it in your own way, without preconceived notions of hating it or loving it. Once again, I personally was not entertained, but it has been 3 weeks and I am still haunted by the violent images, haunted by the cruelty displayed in the film. It seems to me that the movie presents violence and cruelty as being real and hope as being fantasy, and thus presents a bleak view of life that I am still thinking about. Expand
  57. W.G.
    Jan 22, 2007
    To those who claim that the two worlds don't coincide with each other are missing the point of the entire movie. Reality is what we make of it. The ending was one of the greatest I have ever seen, and seems to encapsulate the human condition in one pivotal scene...ie it attempts to frame the greatest human question of all "Why are we here?"
  58. MarkS.
    Jan 23, 2007
    I assumed Pan's Labyrinth would be a tour de force in crazy creatures and dark wonderlands and brilliant cinematography. What I found instead was a precise, compelling narrative that managed to bring all of those aspects together without forcing it down the audience's throats. The gorier parts have enough context to them to not offend (in my opinion), while the sweeter, more I assumed Pan's Labyrinth would be a tour de force in crazy creatures and dark wonderlands and brilliant cinematography. What I found instead was a precise, compelling narrative that managed to bring all of those aspects together without forcing it down the audience's throats. The gorier parts have enough context to them to not offend (in my opinion), while the sweeter, more poetic parts are just flat-out gorgeous. Although minimally developed, the context of Spanish Civil War was engrossing and flowed surprisingly well with the fantasy elements. In a film climate often split between the factory-line tight and overly-ambitious, PL finds a nice middle ground. Expand
  59. ZabbockK.
    Oct 23, 2007
    Good movie except for the length and ending. There were 3 hard-to-get-passed-areas: 1. There wasn't a need for Mercedes' scene cutting the captain with her trusty knife. I couldn't get passed the fact that she could have ended the war right there by thrusting a couple more times instead of doing some dental work and then leaving. She can cut the mouth and even threaten to Good movie except for the length and ending. There were 3 hard-to-get-passed-areas: 1. There wasn't a need for Mercedes' scene cutting the captain with her trusty knife. I couldn't get passed the fact that she could have ended the war right there by thrusting a couple more times instead of doing some dental work and then leaving. She can cut the mouth and even threaten to cut her own throat but can't cut the captain's and triumph? - 1 point 2. I also found it tough that the baby in Ofelia's arms just happens to silence itself as soon as ol' Captain comes tromping into the room. And if she used a special door to get in then why not use a door to get out? - 1 point 3. In the scene where she ate the grapes and ran from the wrinkle monster, why did she have to draw upward? Why not draw where she can reach and get through easier? - 1 Expand
  60. Sean
    Jan 23, 2007
    Oh man, my jaw was literally dropped through the whole 2 hours. The movie grabbed me from the first words and didn't let go. After watching this film, i was confused. I loved it so much, i was so enchanted and shocked by it all, that during the actual viewing, it seemed downright perfect. But i dwelled on it afterwards, to find some flaw, ANY flaw. Could a film really be as perfect Oh man, my jaw was literally dropped through the whole 2 hours. The movie grabbed me from the first words and didn't let go. After watching this film, i was confused. I loved it so much, i was so enchanted and shocked by it all, that during the actual viewing, it seemed downright perfect. But i dwelled on it afterwards, to find some flaw, ANY flaw. Could a film really be as perfect as this one first seemed? And, surpsingly, i couldnt find any flaws. While watching it, i got the same exhilaration of great filmmaking that Citizen Kane, The Godfather, and Lord of the Rings gave me. And the more i thought it over, the more i realized that, yes, indeed, this film belongs in that company, just like Metacritic would have us believe. I was also worried before the movie that i would be disappointed, because while the critical acclaim was unprecedented, many non-critics had been complaining about over-praise. But watching it, i honestly believe the critics were on to something, and that the movie is getting all the professional praise it deserves. A perfect work of art. Expand
  61. DanB.
    Jan 23, 2007
    Very well done, executed, written, etc. (With the exception of one markedly goofy cow-milking scene.) In the end, though, it left me cold. Can't say why, really. I just didn't much care. Still, it's very impressive and in many parts entertaining, and I wish more movies were as inventive and unafraid of being different.
  62. JoshS.
    Jan 24, 2007
    The most enthusiastic ten I've given in quite some time. An incredible movie.
  63. JonathanA
    Jan 26, 2007
    Its violence is harrowing, its message is clearcut, and its fantasy is dark and gripping. But the tie-in between the two worlds - that of the civil war in the real and the fairy tale one in its midst - is carefully and expertly presented; that is where its subtlety and excellence lies. It will not hit you until the final scene about the significance of the fantasy elements, and then Its violence is harrowing, its message is clearcut, and its fantasy is dark and gripping. But the tie-in between the two worlds - that of the civil war in the real and the fairy tale one in its midst - is carefully and expertly presented; that is where its subtlety and excellence lies. It will not hit you until the final scene about the significance of the fantasy elements, and then everything else about the film's earlier sequences clicks. Incredible. Expand
  64. PacoC.
    Jan 26, 2007
    Guillermo del Toro has been able to give two sets of story lines that both mix and conjunt very well, One the cruel reality and other the beautifull yet twisted fantasy. With this it is interesting the way the director created a Fantasy movie for adults. Some scenes are very gore and I would not sugest small children to come and watch the film but you have to as well think that it is what Guillermo del Toro has been able to give two sets of story lines that both mix and conjunt very well, One the cruel reality and other the beautifull yet twisted fantasy. With this it is interesting the way the director created a Fantasy movie for adults. Some scenes are very gore and I would not sugest small children to come and watch the film but you have to as well think that it is what made the movie even more special and not so americanized and not so categorised for either matured adults or young children. Expand
  65. ShaneH.
    Oct 27, 2007
    The best film i have seen since i can remember. I broke down at the end. Never has a film had such an effect on me. Guillermo del Toro is a genius.
  66. WilliamD.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Extraordinary, especially if you are aware of the events and politics of the Spanish Civil War before World War II.
  67. StinkyP.
    Jan 27, 2007
    all the negative reviews are written in the same style here. is it one reviewer submitting in mutliples? Anyway, I loved it. Incredible cinematics. Great mood and atmosphere. Mercedes from Y Tu Mam Tambien? Magnifique! How did they make that stunner look drab? I didi see a 6 or 7 year old atthe theatre ... way too young for the disturbing scences in this film.
  68. MartynG.
    Jan 27, 2007
    This movie was amazing, i can't stop thinking about it; terrifing, beautiful and a courage that is unmatched.
  69. PennD.
    Jan 27, 2007
    This is one of the finest movies to come along in a long time. It is truly groundbreaking as it merges the harsh reality that was Post Civil War Spain with the delicacy and charm of fantasy with its under story.... With so many bad offerings and incomplete attempts (Eragon for example)... this movie will truly renew your faith in the cinema.
  70. FizgigP.
    Jan 28, 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth was absolutely amazing. I did not know what to expect walking into the theater, but i knew what i saw when i walked out, a masterpiece. The parallels between the real world and the fairytale are very subtle, and both worlds in their own way were bitter and relentless towards ofellia. The Movie was very violent, but not overdone. The first scene in which captain Vidal Pan's Labyrinth was absolutely amazing. I did not know what to expect walking into the theater, but i knew what i saw when i walked out, a masterpiece. The parallels between the real world and the fairytale are very subtle, and both worlds in their own way were bitter and relentless towards ofellia. The Movie was very violent, but not overdone. The first scene in which captain Vidal kills a man you know what is in store for Ofellia. The monsters were beautiful in their own way each with a creepy dark fairytale aspect to them. The makeup was outstanding, and the cgi was not bad. Very Very Good Film. Expand
  71. KadathB.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Beautiful. Disturbing. Emotionally draining. These are only a few words to describe Pan's Labyrinth, an amazing picture that will unlikely resemble anything you've seen before, but before you enter this film you must have an open mind. It's not the gore that disturbed me [though it is at a level of detail that many could find disgusting or shocking] but rather the magnitude Beautiful. Disturbing. Emotionally draining. These are only a few words to describe Pan's Labyrinth, an amazing picture that will unlikely resemble anything you've seen before, but before you enter this film you must have an open mind. It's not the gore that disturbed me [though it is at a level of detail that many could find disgusting or shocking] but rather the magnitude and impact the movie has emotionally and visually, it's a beautiful picture but in a very dark and gothic way, in fact I don't know if I have seen a gothic fantasy work quite this well in a movie, and the tremendously well acted and portrayed vision of reality, blurs the line between the real and the fiction more than any story has before, and when it all comes together, you either feel everything the characters have felt or you feel nothing, and I can tell you the majority of the people will feel something. Pan's Labyrinth is far and away the best film in years, and considering it's limited release here, consider yourself lucky to catch it in the theatre, but even if you miss it on the big screen, you must make it a goal to see it on video- mthis is simply a film that cannot be missed, but once again keep an open mind [Also a warning for parents: It may be a fairy tale, but it is equally a horror, drama, and war film- it's most definitely not a film children under the age of at least 14 should see]. Expand
  72. Dave
    Jan 29, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant! This is one of the best films not only from last year, but probably the last decade. Unlike many of the people here, I WAS NOT expecting more fantasy, because I read some of the reviews of the film. And as far as the violence, yes some parts of the film are hard to watch, but hey this is during Franco's reign near the end of WW II in Spain. If you knew anything Absolutely brilliant! This is one of the best films not only from last year, but probably the last decade. Unlike many of the people here, I WAS NOT expecting more fantasy, because I read some of the reviews of the film. And as far as the violence, yes some parts of the film are hard to watch, but hey this is during Franco's reign near the end of WW II in Spain. If you knew anything about Spanish history, you'd know what a brutal dictator Franco was, so the violence depicted was all REAL. Actually, it was probably far worse. In any case, this is a must-see, one that will be remembered many years from now. Expand
  73. MichaelH.
    Jan 31, 2007
    The last scene silenced the entire theater in an attempt to translate the meaning of what had been 2 hours of magic.
  74. MarkW.
    Jan 3, 2007
    This powerful film lingers in the heart and mind long after the credits roll. Creative, captivating stroytelling like this is why I go to the movies. Not to be missed. Highly recommended.
  75. TorontoD.
    Jan 30, 2007
    A film like this only comes around every several years. It defies genres and must be viewed with an open mind. The violence is at a horror movie level, so don't go in expecting "Lord of the Rings". I gave it a 9 because it was excellent in all technical and artistic aspects, but I would have personally wanted to see more of the "fantasy" world, to give it a 10. Intense, daring, A film like this only comes around every several years. It defies genres and must be viewed with an open mind. The violence is at a horror movie level, so don't go in expecting "Lord of the Rings". I gave it a 9 because it was excellent in all technical and artistic aspects, but I would have personally wanted to see more of the "fantasy" world, to give it a 10. Intense, daring, beautiful and scary all at the same time. Expand
  76. Daniel
    Jan 5, 2007
    I walked in expecting a fantasy. What I got instead was a film that is achingly, bracingly, vividly about reality. Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, of all things) writes and directs a breathtaking film that works as fantasy, as history, and as allegory. In the wrong hands, this fanciful story might be indulgent or heavy-handed, but del Toro
  77. GeorgeS.
    Jan 6, 2007
    Phenomenal! Brilliantly written and directed. Brutal reality infused with innocence and fantasy. Reminds us of the power of cinema and why we enjoy the espace movies provide.
  78. Michaelrobinson
    Oct 8, 2007
    I loved this movie. The best movie by far this year. It tells a story that is unforgetable about the choices we make and what will happen if we make the wrong choices. This is what movies should be about. Now a days all they worry about is fancy special effects but this movie focuses on not onlty the special effects but the story. Which is why i really like this movie.
  79. AnneB.
    Feb 11, 2007
    Brilliant on every level. Some viewers said the violence was too "graffic [sp]" and gratuitous. It was necessary, however, to show the extent of the horror from which the child escaped through fantasy. Torture and violence on the part of those in power exist in our modern reality, but we have done a good job of not wanting to see that either.
  80. ChrisT.
    Feb 11, 2007
    I must admit that when I heard this movie was in Spanish with subtitles, I was more than a little hesitant to see it. I took a chance and am most certainly glad I did!. Pan's Labyrinth will join the ranks of one of the best movies I've ever seen. It is truly captivating and spellbinding. As a matter of fact, I'm heading back to the theater today to see it again!
  81. JoeThomas
    Feb 12, 2007
    best of 2006!
  82. HarryK
    Feb 13, 2007
    A film so unbelievably good that Del Toro could retire right now at the young age of 29 and never have to make another film again and his legacy would live on forever.
  83. RobertS.
    Feb 16, 2007
    This movie delivers exactly what it intends to deliver. I didnt expect much from this movie especially with it having subtitles, but left amazed. I shutter to think the impact had I been able to speak the language.
  84. MagnificentB.
    Feb 16, 2007
    One of the best movies I've ever seen. A wonderful story that captures the horrors of war, the evils of facism, and the oftentimes difficult decisions involved in making "moral" choices. Del Toro has finally made a movie that not only delivers on the promise he showed with "The devils Backbone", but actually eclipses it. And to the reviewers who criticized the film for it's One of the best movies I've ever seen. A wonderful story that captures the horrors of war, the evils of facism, and the oftentimes difficult decisions involved in making "moral" choices. Del Toro has finally made a movie that not only delivers on the promise he showed with "The devils Backbone", but actually eclipses it. And to the reviewers who criticized the film for it's blood and violence . . . war and facism, folks! It ain't pretty, it isn't supposed to be pretty, and if you took your kids to see it, what part of "Rated R" did you not understand? Expand
  85. XXXXXXXXX
    Feb 17, 2007
    Anyone who has rated this less than an 8 doesn't know what good movies are. This one is Amazing! Yes, there are some brutal scenes of violence, but its done well and (if you didnt close your eyes) looks very real. This is NOT 90% violence like one reviewer has said. Most of the movie has to do with the little girl's relationship with her mother and her step-dad. There'sAnyone who has rated this less than an 8 doesn't know what good movies are. This one is Amazing! Yes, there are some brutal scenes of violence, but its done well and (if you didnt close your eyes) looks very real. This is NOT 90% violence like one reviewer has said. Most of the movie has to do with the little girl's relationship with her mother and her step-dad. There's part which has to do with her trying to complete her tasks to become the fantasy princess. Just go see it. Make your own judgement. Expand
  86. JFTL
    Feb 17, 2007
    Haunting.... This movie will be in your mind days after you see it.
  87. LizzE.
    Feb 18, 2007
    This movie is rated R. Anyone who thought this was a flick for kids clearly didn't see that bit. Furthermore, the acting is fantastic. The violence is very graphic, but the choice to make the "real world" parts of the film as realistic as possible was a wise one--hollywood BS would have completely ruined it, and made it difficult to differentiate between Ofelia's reality and This movie is rated R. Anyone who thought this was a flick for kids clearly didn't see that bit. Furthermore, the acting is fantastic. The violence is very graphic, but the choice to make the "real world" parts of the film as realistic as possible was a wise one--hollywood BS would have completely ruined it, and made it difficult to differentiate between Ofelia's reality and fantasy. Furthermore, it wouldn't have made it so emotionally stirring. If you're complaining because you though you could take your kids to it, you need to get over it. YOU are responsible for your kids--not everyone else is. Stop being such an entitlement jack ass. Expand
  88. TomA.
    Feb 18, 2007
    This is such an amazing, amazing movie for so many reasons. So good, in fact, that it has been in my dreams for the past few nights. Not since Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers have I felt so alive after watching a film. Also to some of the complainers down bellow: The film is a Gothic fairy tale, meaning it's supposed to be very dark and devoid of humor. That's like criticizing This is such an amazing, amazing movie for so many reasons. So good, in fact, that it has been in my dreams for the past few nights. Not since Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers have I felt so alive after watching a film. Also to some of the complainers down bellow: The film is a Gothic fairy tale, meaning it's supposed to be very dark and devoid of humor. That's like criticizing a comedy for not being scary enough. Yes shooting children is wrong. I'm glad you think so. The movie doesn't portray the act of doing so as correct or "right" in anyway. It troubles me to see such people with such logic. Expand
  89. DreezyBaby
    Feb 20, 2007
    This movie is ok, it really doesn't warrant the 98 of a hundred it got. If this movie was made in Hollywood and I mean the exact same movie, it wouldn't have scored more than 85 at best. The movie really feels more like a 76ish type of movie. There is the need to escape from the usual brain numbing garbage Hollywood keeps churning out movie after movie, but we also need to see This movie is ok, it really doesn't warrant the 98 of a hundred it got. If this movie was made in Hollywood and I mean the exact same movie, it wouldn't have scored more than 85 at best. The movie really feels more like a 76ish type of movie. There is the need to escape from the usual brain numbing garbage Hollywood keeps churning out movie after movie, but we also need to see these foreign films for what they really are. This movie is not Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, and it's not an epic as any of the LOTR movies which it trumps by the critics' ratings ... This movie is ok ... Let's say a much darker Chronicles of Narnia at best. Thank you. Expand
  90. AnaG.
    Feb 2, 2007
    Masterpiece. Absolutely brilliant! I think is the best film of the year.
  91. Tiffany
    Feb 3, 2007
    Great movie! Very weird, very disturbing, but very good.
  92. JCJC
    Feb 3, 2007
    Celeste R. seems to be missing the point. The characters are supposed to be somewhat one dimensional. This is a modern day fairy tale and a resoundingly brilliant one at that. One of the most memorable and enjoyable experiences at the movies in quite some time. It starts out a bit on the slow side but by the end its hard not be fascinated by all facets of the story as they come together.
  93. OpheliaH.
    Feb 4, 2007
    Overall the movie had an excellent storyline. You really don't know what to expect and I definately didn't get what I expected, but I am not saying that is a bad thing. I personally would opt for less violence, but it really shows how dark some peoples souls really are. I just hope that it doesn't fill anyones head with any ideas. The movie makes me feel like I went and got Overall the movie had an excellent storyline. You really don't know what to expect and I definately didn't get what I expected, but I am not saying that is a bad thing. I personally would opt for less violence, but it really shows how dark some peoples souls really are. I just hope that it doesn't fill anyones head with any ideas. The movie makes me feel like I went and got my money's worth at the theatre. I say bra-friggin-va and cudos all around. (i dont know if i spelled that right). Expand
  94. Keith
    Feb 4, 2007
    Thanks Celeste! Thanks so much for setting us all straight. You'd think all the critics, what with their fancy smancy degrees and years upon years of viewing and reviewing films could have seen the movie for what it really was. I guess they and all the rest of us who agreed with them are just not as bright as you! You certainly proved your point. I mean, how could every single critic Thanks Celeste! Thanks so much for setting us all straight. You'd think all the critics, what with their fancy smancy degrees and years upon years of viewing and reviewing films could have seen the movie for what it really was. I guess they and all the rest of us who agreed with them are just not as bright as you! You certainly proved your point. I mean, how could every single critic and 99% of those who've see the movie be so wrong?! Expand
  95. MarkR.
    Feb 4, 2007
    Astonishing to see the reactions this film has prompted. Even the rationale behind the lower scores are thought provoking, rare for metacritic boards. As for myself, I believe this to be one of the very finest movies I've ever seen or likely ever will. But not because I think it's perfect. Rather, I think this is a masterpiece because it touched feelings in me that I thought had Astonishing to see the reactions this film has prompted. Even the rationale behind the lower scores are thought provoking, rare for metacritic boards. As for myself, I believe this to be one of the very finest movies I've ever seen or likely ever will. But not because I think it's perfect. Rather, I think this is a masterpiece because it touched feelings in me that I thought had been long buried since childhood, but clearly aren't. There is an alchemy to this film that is breathtaking. I've never seen a film - or filmmaker - so artfully reflect our souls coping with mortality and evil. Without pandering, del Toro imagines the manifestations of wonder that guard us from reality and existential dread, as well as the monsters that rise in sleep from our reptilian fears. More importantly, he shows us these things to reveal the complexity of how we ultimately find hope. In the end, Del Toro creates ambiguity about Ofelia's fantasy, but what's ironic and beautiful and sad and heartbreaking about Pan's Labyrinth is that the movie itself is proof that magic does exist. Expand
  96. J.P.
    Feb 7, 2007
    I'm not sure a movie like this needs much to be said about it. It exists independetly of us, it doesn't need us to live. If you have not seen this movie, I plead with you to go see it. This not a child's film or is it supposed to be. This is a film that despite the violence (the violence is never unnecessary or over-simplified) had me in tears at the end. These were tears I'm not sure a movie like this needs much to be said about it. It exists independetly of us, it doesn't need us to live. If you have not seen this movie, I plead with you to go see it. This not a child's film or is it supposed to be. This is a film that despite the violence (the violence is never unnecessary or over-simplified) had me in tears at the end. These were tears that I had witnessed magic. It has been months since I have seen the movie and it is still with me. This film and Del Toro challenges us to find hope and meaning in violence and innocence as they exist all around us. The balance is always in so much danger of tipping to one side. This movie doesn't need my support; it warrants personal interpretation not mass categorization. Watch this movie and you'll be still for a long time. Expand
  97. TomD.
    Feb 7, 2007
    I would have to say most of the people who have negative words for this movie tend to like the crap that seems to make so much money but nobody really knows why. Example Epic Movie was at tops at the box office.
  98. JayF.
    Feb 8, 2007
    The best film I've ever seen. Period. I don't usually get worked up about these sorts of things, but I've never seen a film as compelling, rich, and beautiful as this one. From start to finish, the performances are perfect, the cinematography is seamless, and the narrative never slows or fizzles. An unmitigated masterpiece.
  99. CraigD.
    Feb 9, 2007
    Great Movie. Some of the special effects are unbelievable.
  100. Hunter
    Feb 9, 2007
    The most amazing movie I have ever seen. Period.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.