8.5

1. Oct 12, 2012
    This movie moved me deeply in 2006, and hasn't stopped moving me since. The final scene is playing on a perpetual loop in the background of my mind. It is a canonical work of art.
  2. Sep 10, 2011
    With gruesome but beautiful visuals by my favorite director Guillermo Del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth" is a deep, profound, and sad fairy tale that appeals to the audience of every age, presenting such maturity into the screen.
  3. Oct 6, 2012
    One of the most brutal films I have ever seen, not just in actual violence, but in mindset. At the same time, what a sweet, beautiful story, mixing the fantastic with the gritty realism of war. For anyone prepared for horror, excitement and sadness, I recommend it.
  4. Jan 15, 2012
    This is why User Reviews can't be take seriously! 106 as of today people gave this movie a negative review? Really! Really! Wow you people are just brain dead mongoloids! Anyone who gives this movie a bad review there credibility is gone forever, yes it's never coming back.
  5. Aug 26, 2011
    After seeing Pan's Labyrinth myself I could not find any word good enough to describe this film. It is a feat that only a great deal of originality and talent are capable of.
  6. Jan 7, 2012
    Not only is this movie visually stunning, ranging from innocent beauty to gruesome reality, not only does the director, Guillermo Del Toro, perfectly contrast a young girl's fantastic fairy tales with the Captain's brutality in war, Pan's Labyrinth is a moving and even philosophical story of someone trying to cope with the horrors of real life, a fable that transcends time. Probably one ofNot only is this movie visually stunning, ranging from innocent beauty to gruesome reality, not only does the director, Guillermo Del Toro, perfectly contrast a young girl's fantastic fairy tales with the Captain's brutality in war, Pan's Labyrinth is a moving and even philosophical story of someone trying to cope with the horrors of real life, a fable that transcends time. Probably one of the greatest movies ever made. Expand
  7. Sep 27, 2012
    There are very few films that I would rate 10/10, but this is without a shadow of a doubt one of them. The plot is brilliant, the acting is brilliant, the cinematography is brilliant. This film made me feel so close to certain characters and so angry at others that there were moments I found difficult to watch, but to me that's a sure sign of a brilliant film.

To summarise without

To summarise without spoiling, the film is set in fascist Spain and centres around a young girl who's struggling to live through the horrors of this adult world she's been so unwillingly thrust into. As such, the film almost plays out the two 'sides of the story' seamlessly, so beautifully moulded together that the line between fantasy and reality is blurred. We see the world for what it is and the world for what the young girl makes it out to be, her coping strategy, to put it bluntly. I think Guillermo Del Toro perfectly illustrates the endlessly imaginative vision that children have of the world and its stark contrast with reality is what makes elements of this film so tragic.

A must watch.
  8. Jan 11, 2014
    Pan's Labyrinth is one of those movies whose sound and look is so distinctive that you instantly recognize it. Guillermo del Toro combines great storytelling and elements of fantasy to create a surging plot which succeeds in capturing our imagination, mood and emotions.

We follow two story lines. The one rooted in reality is about a secluded small town ruled by a despotic captain tasked with wiping out the remnants of the resistance which has taken shelter in the surrounding jungles. The other one is about a young girl, Ofelia, who is forced to accept the captain as her stepfather. She is fond of fairy tales which she carries everywhere. Whether the faun promising her passage to the virtually perfect world is an escapist fantasy of hers or not is left up to the viewer to decide.

Del Toro relies chiefly on score, voice-over and narration to create momentum. The editing was successful in keeping the audience eyeing every dialogue. The fact that the majority must have been following subtitles for the entire length of the movie did not lessen the effect the film has on you, but on the contrary created a world that was mesmerizing.

The movie is set in Francoist Spain. The art direction painted a vivid picture of the 1940s through depicting the buildings, cars and costumes of that era. We also get to witness some of the lifestyle of the time. The faun creature, who gives Ofelia tasks to complete in order to gain entrance into the Underground Realm was a particularly unique creation. The work done deserved the Oscar it received.

Frequently the story transitions into the fantasy part. We learn about the lost princess, who Ofelia thinks is herself. The pregnancy of Ofelia's mother is a major concern throughout the movie. It is feared that there's an informer for the rebels inside the camp, of whose identity Ofelia comes to learn of.

The captain is a megalomaniac who insults people with his every breath and is bent on destroying the insurgency. Despite proof of his madness, Del Toro resists the temptation of painting him as an irredeemable person. He shows leniency now and then, and on one occasion hints that loyalty to him would have worked out better for a certain character. He is a man built for conflict, and actively seeks it. He always carries a watch on him which ticks loudly to keep him on schedule, even in the middle of gunfights. He is also fond of torturing captured people.

The action sequences were well drawn and made what was happening clear. Light is used to control mood. The score is poignant and memorable and haunting. The visual effects creates the creatures of this fantasy world which rivals any done by the mainstream Hollywood. A lot of this creativity went into showing how people were killed.

The pace picks up during the second half. The resistance becomes bolder and gets reinforcements. There were a few scenes of cathartic killing and blood-letting. And we also learn the final fate of the main characters.

Despite the fact that the fantasy element has a marginal effect on the progress of the story, the movie becomes something special with its inclusion. The contrast between a child's wish to be somewhere safe where she would be loved and the skirmishes between the government troops and the rebels finally makes the message very clear in the end.
  9. Feb 19, 2011
    An absolute masterpiece from Guillermo del Toro. A fairy tale movie for adults, this movie is perfectly done and brilliantly acted. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while at the same time shocked and terrified of the the reality she lives in. Please don't be deterred by the fact that the movie is in Spanish, and you'll have to readAn absolute masterpiece from Guillermo del Toro. A fairy tale movie for adults, this movie is perfectly done and brilliantly acted. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while at the same time shocked and terrified of the the reality she lives in. Please don't be deterred by the fact that the movie is in Spanish, and you'll have to read subtitles. Doing so will cause you to miss out an absolutely incredible film. Expand
  10. Sep 7, 2010
    One of my favorite films of all time. I will admit that the first time I saw Fauno I jumped a bit. Very dark but very appealing. People just hate it because they can't read the subtitles.
  11. Oct 9, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pans Labyrinth is a masterpiece of cinematic imagination. If one can't see the good in this film (and at the moment theres a 105 of you) then I commiserate with how you feel about the world. The most uplifting, disturbing, poignant, enchanting and mesmerising fairytale of all time- without doubt in my mind. Guillermo Del Toro is a true master. Expand
  12. Mar 20, 2011
    Fantastic movie. The stories of the war and the fairy tale going on in the middle blend very well, and the movie is worth reading (if you don't speak spanish). Very well acted and directed.
  13. Apr 20, 2011
    Both haunting and strangely alluring with its stunning atmosphere of fantasy and ominous mystery, the innocence of Pan and the terrifying events that unfold around her in both realms of her life provide a journey for the imagination that is epic, but full of horror and sorrow that is woven into this majestic tale that is a modern classic that will stand the test of time.
  14. Nov 17, 2011
    Pan's Labyrinth is a good movie, it is creative, thrilling and entertaining. The dark twist to this movie is very well appreciated. The plot is great and visually dazzling, sure to keep you hooked and the acting is very good too. The creatures in the movie and scary and tense moments are very well played out. There are not really any flaws with the story other than maybe some tiny misstepsPan's Labyrinth is a good movie, it is creative, thrilling and entertaining. The dark twist to this movie is very well appreciated. The plot is great and visually dazzling, sure to keep you hooked and the acting is very good too. The creatures in the movie and scary and tense moments are very well played out. There are not really any flaws with the story other than maybe some tiny missteps but other than that it's good. Overall Pan's Labyrinth is a great movie that presents a great story while bringing much maturity, suspense, and entertainment to the fairy tale. Breakdown of "Pan's Labyrinth": Presentation: 9.7, Plot: 9.5, Acting: 9.8, Dialogue: 9.9, Lasting Apppeal: 9.6. Score: 9.7 out of 10 "Amazing" Expand
  15. Dec 18, 2011
    Beautiful, magical, visceral, disturbing. These are only a few words of many that can describe Pan's Labyrinth. By far, it is one of the greatest fantasy films of all time that parallels two stories, one realistic, the other fantastic, and merges them together so that they end with ultimately the same message: Continue to dream and your dream will come true, even if only for yourself andBeautiful, magical, visceral, disturbing. These are only a few words of many that can describe Pan's Labyrinth. By far, it is one of the greatest fantasy films of all time that parallels two stories, one realistic, the other fantastic, and merges them together so that they end with ultimately the same message: Continue to dream and your dream will come true, even if only for yourself and even if only in death. Expand
  16. Apr 21, 2012
    Guillermo del Toro creates a contrast between two worlds and a dazzling look at both war and a girl's way of coping with the horrors of her surroundings.
  17. Apr 13, 2012
    This is a real movie. All movies should be like this.
  18. Dec 19, 2012
    A wonderful journey, though cruel and perverse. The first time I watched it I couldn't but feel overwhelmed by the performances, specially Ofelia and Vidal. The visuals are simply astounding, and the storytelling, captivating. This movie will endure in the hearts and souls of everyone who watched it, whether you love it or hate it.
  19. Feb 8, 2013
    Acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy", "The Devil's Backbone"), creates one of the most exciting and visually stunning adult-themed fables ever. "Pan's Labyrinth" is one of the cinema's great fantasies--rich with darkness and wonder. It's a fairy tale of such potency and grandeur, that it reconnects the adult imagination to our primal thrill, and horror stories that held usAcclaimed director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy", "The Devil's Backbone"), creates one of the most exciting and visually stunning adult-themed fables ever. "Pan's Labyrinth" is one of the cinema's great fantasies--rich with darkness and wonder. It's a fairy tale of such potency and grandeur, that it reconnects the adult imagination to our primal thrill, and horror stories that held us spellbound as children. As gruesome and brutal as it is enchanting and spellbinding--"Pan's Labyrinth" is a movie intended for adults. It is a harsh, uncompromising film--but equally just as beautiful and moving."Pan's Labyrinth" is itself a narrative maze, with multiple stories that branch apart and back together again. This dark fairy tale plays out against the backdrop of Spain in 1944. A monstrous Fascist captain (López) is determined to flush out soldiers of the resistance, as his pregnant wife arrives at his countryside headquarters with her young daughter. The young girl Ofelia (Baquero), escapes the brutality of her new environment by drifting into a fantasy world where she comes across a mysterious faun. The faun tells her that she is a princess from a kingdom in the underground. The faun also tells that her that her father is waiting for her, but she needs to accomplish three challenging and dangerous assignments first. Ofelia's challenges do not arise like arbitrary plot obstacles--they are organic to her (and the movie's) development. She learns not only to follow instructions--and that there are heavy prices to pay for failing to abide by them. But also to trust her own instincts about what is right and wrong. In order to find her true self, she must also find the her inner-strength to break the rules imposed by authority. An individual conscience. What could be a more powerful anti-fascist weapon than that?
    In a dark, harsh, and violent world, Ofelia lives in her magical world trying to survive her tasks and see her father again. Soon, the line between fantasy and reality begins to blur, and before Ofelia can turn back, she finds herself at the center of the ferocious battle between Good and Evil. Incredibly unique fable that blends fantasy and fearsome violence, ultimately merging the two stories together. Superbly realized--a rare film that invites repeated viewings to fully absorb all that writer-director del Toro has put into it. Oscar winner for Cinematography, Makeup, and Art Direction.
  20. Apr 7, 2013
    Six years since I first saw this but the imagery still burns in my mind. I always avoided subtitled films but this movie changed everything for me. Breathtaking, horrific, hypnotic..you cannot turn away. You can't discern where reality ends and fantasy begins. Del Toro blends it all into a terrifying, visceral nightmare. All you can do is ride it out to the bittersweet finale. I cannotSix years since I first saw this but the imagery still burns in my mind. I always avoided subtitled films but this movie changed everything for me. Breathtaking, horrific, hypnotic..you cannot turn away. You can't discern where reality ends and fantasy begins. Del Toro blends it all into a terrifying, visceral nightmare. All you can do is ride it out to the bittersweet finale. I cannot fault this magical, highly original experience. You will not see many films of this calibre in your life. Such a fantastic, haunting, wonderful dream. Expand
  21. Feb 16, 2013
    Magical is not enough to describe the feeling while watching "Pan's Labyrinth" words can not explain how much wonder this movie contains, it is my favorite movie of all time, exquisite, spectacular, dark, mysterious, sad, thrilling, all in all, in one movie, which is so underrated, twisted, original, horrific, beautiful and the most important word which is not enough...MASTERPIECE!
  22. Feb 18, 2013
    "Pan's Labyrinth" by Guillermo del Toro is a beautiful yet grim film about the fairy-tale-like story of a child set during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo del Toro brings out the wonder of childhood innocence while juxtaposing it to the harsh realities found in desperate times. It is a twisted fairy-tale that is shown aesthetically well and is told through the"Pan's Labyrinth" by Guillermo del Toro is a beautiful yet grim film about the fairy-tale-like story of a child set during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo del Toro brings out the wonder of childhood innocence while juxtaposing it to the harsh realities found in desperate times. It is a twisted fairy-tale that is shown aesthetically well and is told through the imaginative perspective of a child making fantasies to overcome struggles and tragedies. Del Toro's visual masterpiece is both plot and character driven and this combined with its dark themes make it an adult's fairy-tale that is easily toys with your emotions. Lovers of bittersweet endings will truly enjoy this film and even after the film is over; it continues to linger in your mind and may incite even further discussion. Expand
  23. Apr 22, 2013
    This is the most dark and brutal fantasy film I ever saw, even better than Sleeping Hollow. Amazing movie, I was chained to monitor from beginning to the end. Incredible precision and attention to details. Watch this if you dare.
  24. Jul 9, 2013
    It would be an understatement to say that this movie is even somewhat enjoyable. It is without a doubt one of the greatest fantasy films I have ever seen.
    Guillermo del Toro has knocked this gem out of the park with amazingly horrific visuals, fantastic performances, outstanding intricacy all surrounded around a beautifully intelligent script.
    If you are looking for a darker, maturer
    If you are looking for a darker, maturer version of Alice in Wonderland, I couldn't recommend this film more strongly. This is the Citizen Kane of the fantasy genre. Check it out and experience the awe and enchantment of Pan's Labyrinth!
  25. MichaelN.
    Jan 20, 2007
    I think this was an allegory about the rebirth of Spain after the Franco years. I lived in the country in the '80s and what happened after Franco died was born in the years this movie takes place. It's too much to go into here, but it seems to fit very well.
  26. SamB.
    Jul 20, 2008
    A very entertaining movie with some violence and a fantastic fairy tale central story.
  27. SherryB.
    Feb 18, 2007
    I loved this movie one of the best I've seen in a long time, not for small children though this is a film for adults, I think alot of people forget that this is set in a period where times were tough and you have to work to survive. Highly recommened.
  28. AliceM.
    Jul 11, 2008
    The most beautiful and shocking film I've ever seen. It's incredibly imaginative, with a perfect mixture of fantasy and reality interwoven. I can't really fault it. I was genuinely moved by it, it even got me crying. If you're feeling strong enough for some very serious cinema, I highly recommend it.
  29. AdrianB.
    Feb 10, 2009
    The only movie you need to see before you die
  30. JRMM
    Jan 3, 2010
    Few movies are perfect: Pan's Labyrinth is one of the perfect ones. Truly one of the greatest fantasy films ever made. Among my top 20 favorite films of all time.
  31. Rebecca
    Jan 15, 2007
    This movie wasn't what I was expecting coming into it. I did not read up on the movie because I did not want the plot spoiled, so I missed the part where it said it was subtitled. I do not mind subtitles, but was not expecting it for this movie. Other than that I really enjoyed the plot and the visual effects. It was shocking, gritty and had me on the edge of my seat. I will be This movie wasn't what I was expecting coming into it. I did not read up on the movie because I did not want the plot spoiled, so I missed the part where it said it was subtitled. I do not mind subtitles, but was not expecting it for this movie. Other than that I really enjoyed the plot and the visual effects. It was shocking, gritty and had me on the edge of my seat. I will be buying this movie when it comes out on DVD. Expand
  32. NicholasW.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Ya, I guess I can't understand the low ratings either, I guess if the moive wasn't for you...than an 8 maybe..I haven't seen many movies this good...this is a really good movie- period- the 4's I see I just can't make sense of...definitely worthy of a 98
  33. SeanS.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Wow. Pan's Labyrinth is easily the finest movie I've seen this year. The deck is stacked against it (see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), but this is a foreign language film finer than most Best Picture winners and quite clearly deserving of the award.
  34. AlexS.
    Jan 24, 2007
    Breathtaking, I liken it to a Miyazaki film. Just utterly fantastic and unforgettable.
  35. PatK.
    Jan 26, 2007
    If you expect a fantasy film, keep in mind fantasy is more than Tolkein and Lewis. Before them, fantasy and folklore were about the darker aspects of life and developed to attempt to explain the unexplainable cruelty, capricious and uncaring aspects of life. This movie is every bit a fantasy in this respect. Like the labyrinth (not the "maze" but the religious version, pictured on the If you expect a fantasy film, keep in mind fantasy is more than Tolkein and Lewis. Before them, fantasy and folklore were about the darker aspects of life and developed to attempt to explain the unexplainable cruelty, capricious and uncaring aspects of life. This movie is every bit a fantasy in this respect. Like the labyrinth (not the "maze" but the religious version, pictured on the floor of the chamber) each person's life is an attempt to navigate an often tortuous path without a clear destination - every character in this film does so, with those falling away suffering the physical and metaphysical consequences of doing so. The fixing of the broken watch, the pantomimed versus real knife-at-the-throat moments, the echoes upon echoes all suffuse the film with, like many a fairy tale, implied choice and consequence. I cannot wait for the DVD to continue to explore the many character contrasts in the film, and number del Toro amongst the truly great storytellers. If you went in expecting mindless fluff, you haven't seen a del Toro film before. He is a craftsman in an era of shallow and artless direction. Collapse
  36. AbeV.
    Jan 28, 2007
    This was a brilliant movie. I really can't say enough great things about this film except that I loved it. Ever since seeing the preview I knew I had to see it, and it didn't let me down. It was every bit as tragic and glorious as I'd hoped. I think it may be one of the greatest accomplishments of cinema thus far.
  37. JohnA.
    Jan 7, 2007
    I was fascinated by this film - Ivana Baquero evoked all the horrors of a child caught up in the European (Spanish) 20th Century. It wrenches us between the brutal real world with that of a girl's fantasy - or is it a fantasy? A gut-wrenching film that left me stunned - something that rarely happens any more to this jaded old guy...
  38. LarryM.
    Feb 3, 2007
    A great movie, but not for the squemish.
  39. DanaM.
    Feb 4, 2007
    I don't usually give movies 10s. But this one is special. Savage at times, mystical fantasy thorughout, this is a must see. Be ready to read the subtitles, but worth the effort.
  40. KuldeepT.
    Feb 5, 2007
    An amazing visionary movie. A masterpiece. American cinema has been needing some re-invigoration and with no surprise it comes from outside the establishment. The striking analogy to today's headlines and political climate should not be missed (i.e. military fascism, torture etc). This is a real contribution to the art of cinema, a landmark film.
  41. Darius
    Feb 6, 2007
    The film was mesmerizing. Brilliant political allegories and biblical parables, makes this a hard-to-miss-film. absolutely beautiful.
  42. TrevorM.
    Mar 1, 2007
    The best movie of the year- beautiful, magical, haunting, and suspensful. Who knew bloody and beautiful would be in the same movie??
  43. WilliamM.
    Mar 24, 2007
    Perfect film, a beautiful story with a brilliant ending. Best film I've seen in a very long time.
  44. JoeAverage
    Mar 5, 2007
    Off the top of my head, 'bittersweet' and 'lyrical' are two adjectives that come to mind. Could come up with countless more. Will stay with you forever...
  45. KidA.
    Mar 9, 2007
    This is the most beautiful film I have ever seen.
  46. MelissaW.
    Mar 9, 2007
    The best film I have seen in the past 5 years. Del Toro has finally achieved the perfection he was close to in Devil's Backbone. After a few dull years I am actually inspired by the medium again.
  47. JackL.
    May 20, 2007
    Wow. This isn't a fantasy movie like it seems to be getting labled, but it is a masterpiece. It's got such an amazing amount of depth, and a story that is just as stunning as its visuals, and thats saying a lot. They're not as off the wall crazy as Lord of the Rings, they're more akin to a great painting. Simple and beautiful. If this film doesn't move you Wow. This isn't a fantasy movie like it seems to be getting labled, but it is a masterpiece. It's got such an amazing amount of depth, and a story that is just as stunning as its visuals, and thats saying a lot. They're not as off the wall crazy as Lord of the Rings, they're more akin to a great painting. Simple and beautiful. If this film doesn't move you emotionally, and hit your soul like a ton of bricks, than you're a complete, heartless monster. And I'm dead serous about that. Expand
  48. RobertH.
    May 30, 2007
    An uncompromising fantasy epic. One of the very best of 2006.
  49. Drew
    May 7, 2007
    Honestly this is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Superbly acted, and written, this movie is just masterfully crafted around reality and an escape from the rough life of a young spanish girl who is living through Franco's Spain in 1944. Just a great movie, do yourself a favor and watch it.
  50. BradC
    Jun 25, 2007
    Perfect. Instant classic. Movies do not get any better then this.
  51. MiriamM
    Jul 6, 2007
    Simply stunning. Nuff said.
  52. ElinG
    Aug 2, 2007
    This movie is amazing and I believe it deserves its place on metacritics all-time high scores. It is a beautiful, tragic, and sometimes traumatizing portrayal of how brutally war affects children. Yes, this movie is very violent, but at least the violence is there for a reason: to demontrate the horrors of war. And Bick B, I think you're completely wrong. This film dazzled with This movie is amazing and I believe it deserves its place on metacritics all-time high scores. It is a beautiful, tragic, and sometimes traumatizing portrayal of how brutally war affects children. Yes, this movie is very violent, but at least the violence is there for a reason: to demontrate the horrors of war. And Bick B, I think you're completely wrong. This film dazzled with brilliance, which is why it is one of the highest rated films of all time. Expand
  53. JonM
    Jan 3, 2008
    A great fantasy adventure that despite some incredulous remarks and 0 scores still rates at 8.4. This says much for the maligned few who judge not on message but on appearance, choosing to bypass the part of the brain that processes thought and sends them straight out of the rear. To avoid this film because of such pretentious folks thinking they are above the underlying meaning of theA great fantasy adventure that despite some incredulous remarks and 0 scores still rates at 8.4. This says much for the maligned few who judge not on message but on appearance, choosing to bypass the part of the brain that processes thought and sends them straight out of the rear. To avoid this film because of such pretentious folks thinking they are above the underlying meaning of the film is nigh on criminal. Expand
  54. MikeT.
    Feb 21, 2008
    This film is haunting in every sense of the word. In fact, this movie redefined it for me. Every scene has stayed with me in a way that entire movies rarely do. An accomplished feat of filmmaking.
  55. DennisS.
    Jun 6, 2008
    Pan's Labyrinth is a beautiful fairytale for adults, that will remain in someone's mind for a long time.
  56. SteveJ.
    Jul 24, 2008
    My wife & I rarely watch a rented movie twice--preferring to return the movie as soon as we can & get another one. This one we not only watched twice, but we also invited others to join us when we watched it the second time! Loved it!
  57. KaneP
    Jul 2, 2009
    Very few times do I watch a "hyped" film and expect it to meet the expectations. Pan's Labyrinth smashed all my expectations. Never have I viewed a film so beautifully crafted and executed. Beautifully constructed fantastic elements are juxtaposed against violent realism, creating an uneasy yet beautiful environment that is also an extremely tragic. This is the perfect example of Very few times do I watch a "hyped" film and expect it to meet the expectations. Pan's Labyrinth smashed all my expectations. Never have I viewed a film so beautifully crafted and executed. Beautifully constructed fantastic elements are juxtaposed against violent realism, creating an uneasy yet beautiful environment that is also an extremely tragic. This is the perfect example of film making at its finest. A film made with care, love and passion for the medium that is rarely seen in modern film. Expand
  58. Jerrod
    Apr 30, 2010
    Absolutely spectacular in its ability to simultaneously dazzle and provide scathing insight into the more sordid nature of the human condition.(In a side note the person who gave this a one for being too gruesome for children, which you claim is the intended audience, this movie is rated R which has never denoted that children should watch).
  59. BrianneC
    May 21, 2010
    I just saw this movie for the first time a couple days ago. I've never had the chance to see it and I've wanted to for the past four years. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes horror and fantasy. It has strong elements of both. It's a fantastic movie. So what if it has blood and gore in it and it's a fairy tale? No one ever said it was for kids. I wanted I just saw this movie for the first time a couple days ago. I've never had the chance to see it and I've wanted to for the past four years. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes horror and fantasy. It has strong elements of both. It's a fantastic movie. So what if it has blood and gore in it and it's a fairy tale? No one ever said it was for kids. I wanted to see it when I was 12 and I think I would've been fine with it. This movie is definitely one of my favorites and I completely love it. Expand
  60. RyanM
    Oct 9, 2009
    Anybody who says Pan's Labyrinth is boring is a totally unsophisticated person with the mind of a 10 year old. My full review is on Rotten Tomatoes. My SN on there is Ryguy4738 M.
  61. MaxB
    Apr 14, 2009
    Truly an exceptional movie. The two stories are flawlessly incorporated together and the movie is actually quite terrifying, but without being a horror movie. An instant classic that will be remembered as one of the greatest films ever made.
  62. UnaiM
    Jan 7, 2010
    Absolutely brilliant
  63. diego
    Mar 6, 2010
    Awesome!!!! Beautiful!!! Fantastic!!!! This movie helped me erase some memories of the horrid crap I had seen . I love this movie.
  64. GrantZ
    Oct 25, 2009
    Pans Labyrinth may seem simple at first,but scratch away at the above layers and it's as complex as a film can get. IAre the fairies and things the girl sees make-believe or real. Is it all in her mind, is she mad, or is everyone around her mad? Examine the story closely and it can be made more life-like. The fawn that tells the girl to steal the baby and do all this bad stuff could Pans Labyrinth may seem simple at first,but scratch away at the above layers and it's as complex as a film can get. IAre the fairies and things the girl sees make-believe or real. Is it all in her mind, is she mad, or is everyone around her mad? Examine the story closely and it can be made more life-like. The fawn that tells the girl to steal the baby and do all this bad stuff could just be paedophile. She lives in a war torn area. So the monster with eyes in it's hands couldbe a blind person, who has been tortured to feel their way around. The film is deep, you have to think to get it and it's also beautifully haunting. Expand
  65. BillL
    Oct 29, 2009
    Flawless masterpiece. Unforgettable.
  66. PaulD
    Jul 20, 2009
    This may be my favorite movie. I personally interpret the magic / religious elements in the movie as metaphor, although I'm aware of Del Toro's opinion on magic. This film and it's ending are (to me) a profound insight into the human need for religion, the need to believe in life beyond death etc. in a world that is often cruel and without meaning. I'm personally an This may be my favorite movie. I personally interpret the magic / religious elements in the movie as metaphor, although I'm aware of Del Toro's opinion on magic. This film and it's ending are (to me) a profound insight into the human need for religion, the need to believe in life beyond death etc. in a world that is often cruel and without meaning. I'm personally an agnostic but this film gave me a new understanding of the religious mindset. A beautiful film that works on almost every level. Everyone should see it. Expand
  67. RobK
    Jun 14, 2009
    Without a doubt, this is the epitome of cinema. Everything in the movie is so beautiful. I wish the people giving the movie bad ratings had the patience could go half of a second without seeing someone get shot. It's not that kind of movie.
  68. Sep 19, 2013
    if you said this movie was bad or average I will say why do you see movies
    visuals are top notch every thing involving the film is top notch. the score,cinematography, the performance especially segi Lopez
  69. Aug 25, 2011
    Pan's Labyrinth has been called, on countless occasions, "an adult's fairy tale." Not exactly. It's more like an adult's horribly repressed childhood nightmare. And, boy is that refreshing. It's all the innocence of childhood and imagination gone into the creepiest most horrific places. I enjoyed it.
  70. KevinC.
    Mar 29, 2007
    A fantastic movie, easily one of my favorites. Visually stunning, I found that the violence perfectly underscored the horrors of war, especially those horrors having been seen through the eyes of a 10-year-old girl. Some may say that the characters were underdeveloped, with Mercedes adopting the "Good Guy" and the Captain being the classic villian archtype, but one must remember that thisA fantastic movie, easily one of my favorites. Visually stunning, I found that the violence perfectly underscored the horrors of war, especially those horrors having been seen through the eyes of a 10-year-old girl. Some may say that the characters were underdeveloped, with Mercedes adopting the "Good Guy" and the Captain being the classic villian archtype, but one must remember that this is a story seen through the eyes of a young girl. All adults, to children, are either good, or bad. And to the people griping about the film being unsuitable for children, well, it's rated R for a reason. Expand
  71. Jul 3, 2013
    A magnificent achievement that breaks through barriers of foreign language films. Intensely and delicately directed film that leaves quite an impression. A beautiful story that excels on all levels.
  72. Dec 7, 2012
    Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy film tailored to adults (think Alice in Wonderland for grown-ups). Del Toro masterfully combines elements of horror and drama to create an almost hybrid fantasy film. The film was brilliantly cast, and almost perfectly acted. For a fantasy film; the acting brought a sense of realism. The major high-point of this film is the story, which was beautifully crafted,Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy film tailored to adults (think Alice in Wonderland for grown-ups). Del Toro masterfully combines elements of horror and drama to create an almost hybrid fantasy film. The film was brilliantly cast, and almost perfectly acted. For a fantasy film; the acting brought a sense of realism. The major high-point of this film is the story, which was beautifully crafted, and thoroughly entertaining. Pan's Labyrinth is an all around amazing fantasy film. Expand
  73. StevenM.
    Jan 13, 2007
    One of the best films of the year if not the best. It's a grown-up, unrelenting version of a child's fairy tale. The key difference -- we don't get the happy, joyful ending that children need. It's grand mix of the realities of war, and the fantasies of a child stuck in its middle. The violence is grisly, unrelenting, but that's the point. War is hell, life can be One of the best films of the year if not the best. It's a grown-up, unrelenting version of a child's fairy tale. The key difference -- we don't get the happy, joyful ending that children need. It's grand mix of the realities of war, and the fantasies of a child stuck in its middle. The violence is grisly, unrelenting, but that's the point. War is hell, life can be hell, and to not show the gore, the blood, the terrible deaths, is coddling to the viewer. One viewer says the violence is "entirely gratuitous" -- how lucky she is to have never seen anyone shot or killed. Heartbreaking? Yes. Shocking? Yep. But hopeful, too. And not easily forgotten. Expand
  74. LB
    Jan 13, 2007
    This movie was so stimulating and intense I had to sit in a dark room and drink a beer for an hour or so after I finished it. Absolutely beautiful. Absolutely mesmerizing. Absolutely terrifying. Amazing.
  75. BarbaraT.
    Jan 13, 2007
    Intense, chilling, and utterly engrossing. This makes you clearly see how far Hollywood is missing the boat. An original vision and not a sequel in sight.
  76. Sep 20, 2010
    Dark and twisted, but amazing and fabulous styles evoke not only the young but also the adult. This movie is really great fantasy movie for adults while the others, otherwise, aren't.
  77. Jan 5, 2013
    What a fantastic film! A masterful blend of horror, fantasy and drama. Del Toro is a true visionary. The fact that it's in Spanish makes it ten times better.
  78. Nov 12, 2012
    Perhaps the greatest fantasy film of all time, Del Toro's labyrinth really cuts to your core. It not only bewilders with wonder and sensation, but also has a warm spirit and quietly dazzles its completely captive audience.
  79. Feb 4, 2012
    Pan's Labyrinth is imaginative, visually dazzling, magically adventurous, perfectly gruesome along with fantastic performances make this one of the greatest movies ever made and it is perfect for adults. I give this movie 98%.
  80. YokSan
    Feb 10, 2007
    "there wasn't enough car chases"
    "this film ruined my weekend and my life boo fucking hoo"
    why dont you walking rainclouds fuck off. You'd give a film of the edge of the universe a bad review if you thought it was controverisal enough to make people pay attention to you for 15 seconds.
  81. JustinBrekke
    Mar 6, 2007
    All the tips will get out of this movie is the scene with the dude who has eyes on his hands and he chases after the girl. If you are not a tip however it is a great movie and will let you into the unbelievable imagination of a triumphant young girl.
  82. GuyZ.
    Jan 13, 2007
    Exquisite film making and exquisite story telling. Just far enough away in time for the resonance to today's political scene to truly register. It's so rare to encounter a film that's thematically profound and at the same time completely engrossing and deeply moving also. And the effortlessness of it is inspiring. That Del Toro apprenticed himself in the Hollywood system in Exquisite film making and exquisite story telling. Just far enough away in time for the resonance to today's political scene to truly register. It's so rare to encounter a film that's thematically profound and at the same time completely engrossing and deeply moving also. And the effortlessness of it is inspiring. That Del Toro apprenticed himself in the Hollywood system in order to make something this effective and beautiful inspires hope. A must see. Expand
  83. NewtG.
    Jan 13, 2007
    First off, this movie is actually not in the least bit gratuitous when it comes to violence. Deemed "hyper-violent," there is actually very little blood/gore shown in the movie. Other than that minor point, the movie is a unique and nicely imagined picture that's almost perfect. Besides Mercedes' unexplicable decision to not kill the captain, ther are very few things the movie First off, this movie is actually not in the least bit gratuitous when it comes to violence. Deemed "hyper-violent," there is actually very little blood/gore shown in the movie. Other than that minor point, the movie is a unique and nicely imagined picture that's almost perfect. Besides Mercedes' unexplicable decision to not kill the captain, ther are very few things the movie does poorly. A little more fantasy and a little less revolution could have made the movie better. The fantasy plays truer to Del Toro's style, so it's strange that he doesn' delve more into that. But this movie stays with you long after it ends. It leaves you deeply affected and shaken, which was most likely Del Toro's intent. 97? No, it's not that incredible, but it's quite close and is by and far the best movie so far this year. Expand
  84. mikeperez
    Jan 29, 2007
    Anyone who felt this movie had bad writing or no meaning needs to take a film appreciation class. this is not a movie for people who dont want to think or make their own ideas about what the director was trying to say. For those who did not uderstand the movie it about fasicism and religion. Think chronicles of narnia with the closing scenes. The major theme of this movie is to no followAnyone who felt this movie had bad writing or no meaning needs to take a film appreciation class. this is not a movie for people who dont want to think or make their own ideas about what the director was trying to say. For those who did not uderstand the movie it about fasicism and religion. Think chronicles of narnia with the closing scenes. The major theme of this movie is to no follow blindly but to question and create your own beliefs, to do what you feel is right and not what others tell you to do. Also many have complained that the violence was over the top. first of all we are talking about post-civil war spain. violence happened, its simple as that. Also it is a fairy tale. and no not like the fairy tales we have today but like the original fairy tales that the brothers brimm were able to collect. ever notice the violence and brutality in those tales. now bring them to real life and place those images in a modern movie and you will get more gore and violence then is in this movie. anthother complain is that the characters are one sided and are cliched. again its a fairy tale thats the way the characters are supposed to be in order to clearly polarcize the difference between good and evil. There are enough positice reviews on here to where i will not talk about the lighting and camera work or the special effects. But another complaint i hear was that people expected a different movie and because of this gave the movie a bad review. You should not base a reviewon the type of movie you wanted to see but the actuall elements that the movie you saw brought to the screen. just because a movie does not have as much fantasy as your stars wars fan wanted to see does not make it a bad movie. all-in-all this is the best movie of the year but not for those who do not know how to appreciate fine film making. Expand
  85. RichY
    Apr 14, 2008
    I missed this in the cinema and on DVD but finally watched it on TV, and it more than lives up to the critics score. I haven't watched a subtitled film in years and was worried that it would be distracting, but the film keeps such a hold on you that you're virtually reading them subconsciously. The idiots who scored 0 for this film are the ones that can't watch and read at I missed this in the cinema and on DVD but finally watched it on TV, and it more than lives up to the critics score. I haven't watched a subtitled film in years and was worried that it would be distracting, but the film keeps such a hold on you that you're virtually reading them subconsciously. The idiots who scored 0 for this film are the ones that can't watch and read at the same time, or just refuse to accept that a foreign language film can be good too! Maybe if it was dubbed they would have scored it higher? Expand
  86. gabriel
    Feb 9, 2010
    I thought this movie was fantastic. The acting was superb. I don't understand why people are complaining about the movie being too violent. It was my understanding that war is a bloody horrific thing. Hm. Maybe I'm wrong? Also, In my opinion this movie was about a young girl using her imagination to help her escape and cope with the traumatic situation she was in. I thought it I thought this movie was fantastic. The acting was superb. I don't understand why people are complaining about the movie being too violent. It was my understanding that war is a bloody horrific thing. Hm. Maybe I'm wrong? Also, In my opinion this movie was about a young girl using her imagination to help her escape and cope with the traumatic situation she was in. I thought it made perfect sense that the movie didn't focus that much on the fantasy element, which I saw upset some reviewers. Lastly, in regards to Nathaniel Z.'s comment, Ofelia and Ophelia are both correct. As you should know, names are spelled differently, constantly. Get used to it. And, she was bleeding out of her nose, because it is possible that after she got shot in the stomach that she had internal bleeding. Please, do your own research before criticizing the absolutely dumbest things. Expand
  87. JOhn
    Jan 20, 2007
    This film was excellent. To those who scored below and gave the film a low rating because it didn't contain enough fantasy...you missed the point. The fantasy backdrop was brillantly, and purposefully used, as a mirror to the real world events unfolding in the film. If the film was more of a "pure fantasy" then that aspect of the film (the political allegory) would have been lost. This film was excellent. To those who scored below and gave the film a low rating because it didn't contain enough fantasy...you missed the point. The fantasy backdrop was brillantly, and purposefully used, as a mirror to the real world events unfolding in the film. If the film was more of a "pure fantasy" then that aspect of the film (the political allegory) would have been lost. Loved it. Fantastic. See this and Children of Men back to back. Both great, intelligent, politically charged films that don't pander to the crass, thoughtless impulses of most films. Expand
  88. WIlC.
    Apr 19, 2010
    Absolutely amazing. I still watch it habitually and I am still completely blown away by it every time I watch it.
  89. Sep 28, 2014
    A stunning and dark fairy-tale movie. It's deep, moving, and filled with symbolism. It's a treat for the eyes with gorgeous effects and creatures that just look real. It's a mix of a fantasy and a war movie with touches of horror. It's overall just a work of art that can appeal to audiences of all ages, although due to some mature content and potentially frightening images it is probablyA stunning and dark fairy-tale movie. It's deep, moving, and filled with symbolism. It's a treat for the eyes with gorgeous effects and creatures that just look real. It's a mix of a fantasy and a war movie with touches of horror. It's overall just a work of art that can appeal to audiences of all ages, although due to some mature content and potentially frightening images it is probably better left to the older ones. Del Toro created a masterpiece, one that should be at the top of your must-watch list. It is one that will stick with you long after watching. Expand
  90. Apr 10, 2011
    Like some dark, twisted Wizard of Oz, Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth sets some kind of precedent in not only the fantasy genre but in the entire film industry. The acting, particularly that of Sergi Lopez i Ayats as Colonel Vidal is flawless. The blend of real and unreal is artfully crafted in such a way that any mix with the formula would no doubt detract from the end result.
  91. May 25, 2012
    A fantastic fantasy film, maybe one of the best. The imagination that is put into this film is just out of this world. The visuals are just amazing. The story is very original and the overall presentation was brilliant. This is just a nearly flawless film that definitely deserved a lot of credit and praise.....
  92. BretG.
    Mar 2, 2007
    It's not often you see anything with a score this high on Metacritic, so I just had to see this movie and I was awestruck. At every point in the movie I was either contemplating "what this is" or "what this could be", gasping in utter horrorstricken suspense or gripping my seat, ect. Truly a great and very original movie. Although I half expected David Bowie to pop out at anytime to It's not often you see anything with a score this high on Metacritic, so I just had to see this movie and I was awestruck. At every point in the movie I was either contemplating "what this is" or "what this could be", gasping in utter horrorstricken suspense or gripping my seat, ect. Truly a great and very original movie. Although I half expected David Bowie to pop out at anytime to sing "Dance magic dance!" This is a movie that certainly doesnt disappoint, unless you want to see Davie Bowie pop out to sing "Dance magic dance!" maybe in spanish, theres nothing wrong with that I guess. David Bowie is cool man. Expand
  93. MH.
    Apr 5, 2007
    This is a great film for several reasons and I personally enjoyed it thoroughly, but it is hated by many who expected a charming flick about little girls befriending mythical creatures. The only real criticisms seem to be that there was too much violence and not enough fantasy, which already would suggest that the people who use these criticisms simply went to see the wrong film (and This is a great film for several reasons and I personally enjoyed it thoroughly, but it is hated by many who expected a charming flick about little girls befriending mythical creatures. The only real criticisms seem to be that there was too much violence and not enough fantasy, which already would suggest that the people who use these criticisms simply went to see the wrong film (and would probably have been more content to rent out Disney Expand
  94. PizzleRizzle
    May 5, 2007
    I'm somewhat of a pessimist in general going into movies, and this case is no different. This movie was absolutely not what I expected in any sense. That being said, I was enthralled from start to finish. I viewed everything from the perspective of the girl, and truly enjoyed the blurred lines between fantasy and reality. It was impossible to know where the girl's mind ended and I'm somewhat of a pessimist in general going into movies, and this case is no different. This movie was absolutely not what I expected in any sense. That being said, I was enthralled from start to finish. I viewed everything from the perspective of the girl, and truly enjoyed the blurred lines between fantasy and reality. It was impossible to know where the girl's mind ended and reality started. The shocking violence was also refreshing. Only disney made fairy tales family-friendly. Hansel and Gretel is one of the most brutal and disturbing stories for a child. Their parents abandoned them, a witch tried to cannibalize them, and then they murdered her via fire. This film is what a fairy tale is supposed to be: invigorating, tragic, and thought-provoking. Expand
  95. KeetonJohnson
    Jun 1, 2007
    This movie is probably the most wierd movie you'll ever see, yet one of the most amazing. A mix of horror and fantasy, with a dose of reality stuck in there. Even if you don't speak Spanish, and have to read the subtitles, unless you hate to read, you should love this movie. Great music accompanies some great acting. I just wish it would have shown more of Ofelia's This movie is probably the most wierd movie you'll ever see, yet one of the most amazing. A mix of horror and fantasy, with a dose of reality stuck in there. Even if you don't speak Spanish, and have to read the subtitles, unless you hate to read, you should love this movie. Great music accompanies some great acting. I just wish it would have shown more of Ofelia's adventure and less of the war. One of the greatest movies of 2006. Expand
  96. CT
    Jun 2, 2007
    A modern version of classical fairy tales before they were Disney-fied or even Victorianized. A cautionary tale set in a world mixing fantasy and reality, with a child heroine having to make life and death decisions yet showing her naivety and innocence until the very last frame. Reflects a place where children are much more involved in the brutality of war and nature; something most A modern version of classical fairy tales before they were Disney-fied or even Victorianized. A cautionary tale set in a world mixing fantasy and reality, with a child heroine having to make life and death decisions yet showing her naivety and innocence until the very last frame. Reflects a place where children are much more involved in the brutality of war and nature; something most Western children are removed from except for their game consoles or news broadcasts. Read some pre-Victorian or non-Western children's stories and you may see why this more modern story is told so well. Expand
  97. EduardoM.
    Jul 1, 2007
    One of the best movies, I´ve ever seen, I watched it some days ago and I could not yet forget it. Wonderful, absolutely unforgettable, full of magic, power and breath-taking images. It creates a universe of its own, powerful, intense, original. A visionary film whose power of creation is unparalleled. A great movie.
  98. AbbyL
    Jul 20, 2007
    First I have to say great movie, second I agree with Lena, third it bothers me that people watch movies they know they're not going to like and then give them low scores. This film, as many have said, is the perfect mix of so many polar opposites. It is truly amazing how Del Toro actually pulls this movie off with such grace. I do believe that this movie deserves this score, it was First I have to say great movie, second I agree with Lena, third it bothers me that people watch movies they know they're not going to like and then give them low scores. This film, as many have said, is the perfect mix of so many polar opposites. It is truly amazing how Del Toro actually pulls this movie off with such grace. I do believe that this movie deserves this score, it was breath taking... and the end?! Oh the ending was... well I won't spoil it but I left that movie feeling upset for Ofelia. Anyways the point is the movie is wonderful and no matter what there will always be that one person saying to the most universally acclaimed film, "It sucked, don't watch it." But always trust the minority or just watch whatever you like watching. Expand
  99. JordanH
    Jul 20, 2007
    Word of the wise, if you don't like violence well then don't watch this movie. The movie is rated R for GRAPHIC VIOLENCE and some language! It's pathetic to say, this movie was dumb because it was violent! Please read the before you watch obviously. Well... Pan's Labyrinth was really good. It was just.. I don't know new in a way but old in another. Just watch the Word of the wise, if you don't like violence well then don't watch this movie. The movie is rated R for GRAPHIC VIOLENCE and some language! It's pathetic to say, this movie was dumb because it was violent! Please read the before you watch obviously. Well... Pan's Labyrinth was really good. It was just.. I don't know new in a way but old in another. Just watch the damn movie and decide for yourself but before you watcha and say it's stupid remember GRAPHIC VIOLENCE! Expand
  100. LaurenU
    Jul 20, 2007
    Very good movie, very compelling. And to say that I claimed it was good simply because someone told me it was is a lie. I can think for myself and watch a good movie. And yes critics usually rate foreign films high, but look at the sheer originality of those films, my opinion is that a lot of american directors either take a book and make a terrible movie, take a play and make a decent Very good movie, very compelling. And to say that I claimed it was good simply because someone told me it was is a lie. I can think for myself and watch a good movie. And yes critics usually rate foreign films high, but look at the sheer originality of those films, my opinion is that a lot of american directors either take a book and make a terrible movie, take a play and make a decent movie, or remake a foreign film and everyone loves it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.