8.5

1. VRC
    May 10, 2009
    Poor very poor. I so wanted to like this movie but it missed the mark totally. There was one moment of terror in this movie but was not worth waiting for. A really slow movie with such little substance I am amazed it got such a high rating from critics Avoid.
  2. BobN
    Jul 29, 2009
    Have to agree with another rating, this film is a sort of rip from Spirit of the Beehive. Spirit is less entertaining than Pan's, but it is a deeper and more memorable film. Pan's is a good film, but it does not deserve all the praise it has gotten. Over-praised but still decent film. Great ending, but boring story.
  3. Icecream
    Feb 12, 2010
    I give a 5 or 6 but i just cant comprehend how metacritic says its 3rd best film ever!!! I can think of a hundred movies I would watch before this one. Lets think logically here is one russel crowe Gladiator off the top of head is better than this! UNBELIEVABLE.
  4. WIlC.
    Apr 19, 2010
    Absolutely amazing. I still watch it habitually and I am still completely blown away by it every time I watch it.
  5. RobertaL.
    Jan 12, 2007
    I coundn't get past the sickening violence and scenes of torture; I had to leave the room twice, came back to see it to the bitter end, only to find out that violence was entirely gratuitous to an otherwise engaging story.
  6. MA
    Nov 5, 2007
    An awful excuse for a fantasy film. Well shot - that's for sure. but other than that, an utter joke that this has been so highly praised.
  7. CoreyF
    Oct 17, 2007
    98? are u kidding me this movie was terribly overhyped and just plain sucked
  8. RyanC.
    Jan 18, 2007
    This movie was a major disappointment. I can't say it was horrible because it was generally entertaining with some great visuals, but a 97/100? If this film did not have such an inflated score I would normally have given it a 6 or 7. I realise a zero may not be in the best taste but for the sake of future readers the score needs to be lowered.
  9. R.K.
    Jan 22, 2007
    Was expecting more fantasy and a lot less gore. The cinematography was beautiful, but the characters were very 2 dimensional - desperate woman marries for convenience, cruel military husband, naive girl (or maybe somewhat stupid -would a child with a lick of common sense stop and eat grapes in the lair of a child eating monster while time is running out?), nurturing housekeeper, likeable Was expecting more fantasy and a lot less gore. The cinematography was beautiful, but the characters were very 2 dimensional - desperate woman marries for convenience, cruel military husband, naive girl (or maybe somewhat stupid -would a child with a lick of common sense stop and eat grapes in the lair of a child eating monster while time is running out?), nurturing housekeeper, likeable rebels, despicable Nazis, etc. If you want to see a war movie with blood, torture, and other nasties, go see it. If you want a good fantasy, pass it up. Some reviewers are commenting on the state of the audience at the end of the movie - I took their stunned silence not as a compliment, but more like "What the ....?" Expand
  10. Jenn
    Jan 24, 2007
    This movie is over-rated. After reading the many positive reviews I was a bit dissapointed when I actually saw it myself. I was expecting more fantasy and less history. Overall I would have to say that it didn't live up to high overall ratings or my expectations.
  11. AngieH.
    Feb 18, 2007
    I have real mixed feelings on this one. It is visually stunning, but there's quite a bit of violence that starts to feel gratuitious and exploitative. The critics seems to gloss over this point. Definitely not for kids.
  12. LukePowerson
    Feb 23, 2007
    Don't be sad or disappointed, it's ok, really. I didn't like this one either. I agree with the previous comments by Kevin and Matt C. I don't find it suspenseful to wait and see what gross thing happens next. The cinematography was claustrophobic, every scene looked small. The sound mix is obnoxious, it's so over the top. The movie is this - little girl fantasy,Don't be sad or disappointed, it's ok, really. I didn't like this one either. I agree with the previous comments by Kevin and Matt C. I don't find it suspenseful to wait and see what gross thing happens next. The cinematography was claustrophobic, every scene looked small. The sound mix is obnoxious, it's so over the top. The movie is this - little girl fantasy, war is bad, little girl fantasy, war is bad - back and forth. Way overrated. Expand
  13. DougR.
    Apr 26, 2007
    What an ostentatious, pretentiious, lugubriously paced, maundering piece of arthouse-with-a-budget folderol... loved the handsome "revolutionaries" in their matching issaye mikaye wraps.
  14. JackMeHoff
    Apr 28, 2007
    This movie sucked monkey testicles. I would rather be sodomized by a rusty jack hammer than sit throught this piece of crap again! The entire movie was gay and in Mexican. And before you see it, you should smash your face in with a bat, so that you won't remember it.
  15. AlexR
    Jun 16, 2007
    nothing to say but a corny excuse to make something like this. The fantasy is boring and predictable if good looking, especially those stupid tests she gets, the drama is ok and often shocking but for little reason than documenting a bit of history perhaps, but which has done many times and better. The acting is good, not necessarily from the girl all the time, but I wanted to watch a nothing to say but a corny excuse to make something like this. The fantasy is boring and predictable if good looking, especially those stupid tests she gets, the drama is ok and often shocking but for little reason than documenting a bit of history perhaps, but which has done many times and better. The acting is good, not necessarily from the girl all the time, but I wanted to watch a movie, not only nice photography, original landscapes full of fantastic creatures and decent acting. If all these good qualities of the film had a real purpose or effect, I would respect it more (and if it was less boring at least). This filmmaker has shown little to say, other that "cool" ideas at his best, and semi solid execution. Expand
  16. RSenkbeil
    Jun 17, 2007
    Did not like this one at all. I found it boring and drab. Not really sure why it got such good ratings from the critics. The only enjoyment I got from this film was from trying to translate the Spanish without the subtitles - I quit watching it after about 45 minutes because it was so unnecessarily violent - but I left in on in the background. This guy should have painted a picture Did not like this one at all. I found it boring and drab. Not really sure why it got such good ratings from the critics. The only enjoyment I got from this film was from trying to translate the Spanish without the subtitles - I quit watching it after about 45 minutes because it was so unnecessarily violent - but I left in on in the background. This guy should have painted a picture instead of making a movie - he could have disturbed us in an instant rather than making a feature length film out of gore that we felt obligated to watch because we paid to see it. I would rather have been given a choice. Expand
  17. adamd
    Jul 29, 2007
    I am a movie lover, and I watch a large amount of eccentric movies such as Pans Labyrinth. I went into this movie expecting a constant flow of story, combined with a lot of fantasy elements.But, after a short period of time, i realized that the movie was going into a completely incoherent direction. The biggest issue to me was the lack of character development, and the combination of two I am a movie lover, and I watch a large amount of eccentric movies such as Pans Labyrinth. I went into this movie expecting a constant flow of story, combined with a lot of fantasy elements.But, after a short period of time, i realized that the movie was going into a completely incoherent direction. The biggest issue to me was the lack of character development, and the combination of two different story arch's that to me had nothing in common. Also, it was predictable. (spoiler) An account of this would be the poorly written piece in the area of the movie in which the girl must confront the beast in the room without eating any of the feast. Of course, she does, and she has a mishap, even after a immortal from the underworld tells her that she will lose her life if she does....Maybe if i came into this movie expecting a overly violent war movie, with predictable, almost adolescent shenanigans, i might have enjoyed it. Expand
  18. DouglasR.
    Aug 31, 2007
    Wow, I must not have seen the same movie that the critcs saw. I thought the characters were two dimensional, and while the idea was compelling, I think del Toro didn't pull it off. Too much violence without the soul and depth to make it matter. But hey, just my opinion.
  19. MariahR.
    Jan 19, 2008
    Very shocking and grotesque. Too much war story instead of good fantasy. I like the musical scoring, though. Can't get the theme out of my head.
  20. TravisF.
    Feb 18, 2008
    I laughed when I read how well this movie was rated. I walked out of the theatre upset that I stayed for the entire time. Not even the best movie with Labyrinth in the title.
  21. MattH
    Aug 15, 2008
    Visually stunning, with beautiful settings, decent acting and a truly haunting score this film suffers from one major flaw. It can not decide whether it wants to be a gripping and realistic war drama or a fantastical fairy tale and ultimately fails to be either. Really wanted to like this film, but in the end it is flat, pointless, needlessly violent and as others have said lacks "soul".
  22. NathanielZ.
    Aug 29, 2008
    I'm going to be honest to Director del Toro, because if he was here right now, I'd torture him like one of the tortured martyrs in his obsolete "movie". I loathed it so much that I had to stop watching it for some 5 minutes, thinking about why those Mexicans or Spanish people had no common sense to release this to an English-speaking audience and then come back to watch the rest I'm going to be honest to Director del Toro, because if he was here right now, I'd torture him like one of the tortured martyrs in his obsolete "movie". I loathed it so much that I had to stop watching it for some 5 minutes, thinking about why those Mexicans or Spanish people had no common sense to release this to an English-speaking audience and then come back to watch the rest of this poorly made fantasy! That's how much I abhorred it! It's so ambiguous and silly, I can't possibly understand why critics rendered it with praise! But- Let me just stop my ranting and clarify- in lucid English that the obese del Toro can understand- why this movie was so repulsive. Violence, well hey! It's in almost every single movie! But in this one, the violence is unrealistic. Let me explain why... 1. Why is there so much blood? I mean, I'm not symbolically protesting, but practically, human blood does not hemmorage that profusely, study some anatomy! 2. The battles are so unrealistic, how can the so-called "Capitan" be killing off guerrillas from long-range with a luger pistol that only fires short-range? Study marksmanship! 3. How can blood be flowing from Ofelia's nose?(See! They can't even spell "Ophelia" right!) When she's shot in the stomach? Again, study some anatomy! This movie is also filled with so many Hollywood cliches to make you shiver, the Captain is the only one that implies the scariness in the film, but balance the role of frightening authority to other people! Stupid! Unfortunately, I cannot waste valuable time in my life criticizing this movie, I have so many distastes for it, that I cannot fill them all here. However, I have one detail to praise in this movie, the art direction, that was the most superb aspect that gave the film it's brightness, but not reason, I feel sorry for the people at the art direction department of production, they had to work with a director that was an obese jerk and they had to be responsible for abetting the production of the most poorly made fantasy flick next to the Lord of the Rings... ...And oh, speaking of the Lord of the Rings, del Toro's going to screw up the Tolkien legendarium even more by making a Hobbit companion movie (sheesh! You are unskilled)... ...And by the way, Tolkien is always screwed up. Expand
  23. CricketC.
    Sep 29, 2008
    I did not like it. the fantasy figures were too obscure. The movie was shown as part of a foreign film series at the local college. Only 30% of the class showed up. Probably had seen it before.
  24. JerryKid
    Dec 21, 2009
    This movie was terrible! Its entire message is facists are bad + lots of violence to illustrate that. Throw in some fancy CG and you have the entire movie. Why do people like this?
  25. EK
    Dec 19, 2009
    STOP, DO NOT WATCH it, its violent, stupid movie. They confused all the good and bad, a lot of blood, little girl dealing with devil and later on devil becomes an angel. STUPIDITY should have a limit. What is good showing as a bad, and what is bad shows in thi movie as agood. don't dpend your time and money, better spend your energy on something positive.
  26. Aug 12, 2010
    Meh, having watched it twice I and agree yes it has some good direction and the violence is so much more plausible and warranted in the movie it never quite makes it past something to watch just to pass the time. For something difference give it a go but if your expecting to get blown away or see endless violence you will be sadly mistaken.
  27. Oct 4, 2010
    'Pan's Labyrinth' truly is a fairytale for adults. Do not be fooled by the fairytale like appearance of its trailers or posters, there is a sinister side to this movie. The production is fabulous, as is the acting and the story. What disappointed me a bit was the fantasy subplot. There really wasn't much in the way of magical worlds and creatures, which I what I was expecting. The heroine'Pan's Labyrinth' truly is a fairytale for adults. Do not be fooled by the fairytale like appearance of its trailers or posters, there is a sinister side to this movie. The production is fabulous, as is the acting and the story. What disappointed me a bit was the fantasy subplot. There really wasn't much in the way of magical worlds and creatures, which I what I was expecting. The heroine of the movie, Ofelia, is given three tasks to perform by a faun for her to return to her kingdom where she is a Princess. The first task is very short, the second is the most impressive, both fabulously filmed and wonderfully suspenseful, and the third isn't really a task at all, but rather an emotional scene. Apart from a few bits and pieces here and there, they are the only parts of the film that feature a fantastic fantasy world. The rest, although enjoyable, is the story of Ofelia fitting in to her new house, and her step father, the sinister Captain Vidal, tracking down the last rebels in post-Civil war Spain, with other real time subplots going on as well.
    The film is gory, thrilling and wonderfully well made, but was also very dark and I found the transitions of fantasy into the story sometimes hard to follow. Nevertheless, it was an excellent film and one which I recommend to people who like dark war films and twisted fantasy.
  28. Sep 28, 2014
    A stunning and dark fairy-tale movie. It's deep, moving, and filled with symbolism. It's a treat for the eyes with gorgeous effects and creatures that just look real. It's a mix of a fantasy and a war movie with touches of horror. It's overall just a work of art that can appeal to audiences of all ages, although due to some mature content and potentially frightening images it is probablyA stunning and dark fairy-tale movie. It's deep, moving, and filled with symbolism. It's a treat for the eyes with gorgeous effects and creatures that just look real. It's a mix of a fantasy and a war movie with touches of horror. It's overall just a work of art that can appeal to audiences of all ages, although due to some mature content and potentially frightening images it is probably better left to the older ones. Del Toro created a masterpiece, one that should be at the top of your must-watch list. It is one that will stick with you long after watching. Expand
  29. Apr 10, 2011
    Like some dark, twisted Wizard of Oz, Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth sets some kind of precedent in not only the fantasy genre but in the entire film industry. The acting, particularly that of Sergi Lopez i Ayats as Colonel Vidal is flawless. The blend of real and unreal is artfully crafted in such a way that any mix with the formula would no doubt detract from the end result.
  30. May 25, 2012
    A fantastic fantasy film, maybe one of the best. The imagination that is put into this film is just out of this world. The visuals are just amazing. The story is very original and the overall presentation was brilliant. This is just a nearly flawless film that definitely deserved a lot of credit and praise.....
  31. Aug 10, 2011
    This is the only fantasy movie I've ever appreciated and definitely makes every Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings look utterly ridiculous. One of kind, a love it or hate it production of beautiful imagery, a refreshing plastic experience, with a little touch of history and breathtaking performances. I've lost count of how many times I repeated this with friends of mine who have never seen it.
  32. Aug 28, 2014
    In this movie, it was easy to pick the chacacters you liked, and the ones you hated. The difference between the two was so great; the insane violence versus the will to do good. A complete confrontation of black and white with no grey in between.

All in all, the whole fairytales-mixing-with-reality worked really well. In the end of the story, I couldn't really tell what happened for real - but then again, that does not matter. It gives the story a final touch of mystery.

The movie is visually dark and beautiful, with full of themes about love, justice, fear, caring, right and wrong... The opression of war is ever present, casting a dark shadow on every deed. It makes the people look almost desperate in a way.

There is nothing really new as far as it comes into telling the watcher something about humanity, but the morals of the story are strong.
  33. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie might come off as a traditional fairy tale directed at children during the first few minutes, but it doesn't take long for one to understand it's far from it. Guillermo del Toro truly has done a lot of brave things here, resulting in a gritty and gruesome, yet beautiful, unique and memorable story. The movie also features swell acting, a serviceable score, as well as decentThis movie might come off as a traditional fairy tale directed at children during the first few minutes, but it doesn't take long for one to understand it's far from it. Guillermo del Toro truly has done a lot of brave things here, resulting in a gritty and gruesome, yet beautiful, unique and memorable story. The movie also features swell acting, a serviceable score, as well as decent visuals. The main flaw to this movie in my opinion, are some of the creature designs. Sure, they're not bad, but to make them even better, they would have needed to have more of a connection to the protagonist's mind. Some of the characters also feel very one dimensional, the captain in particular. Though, the aforementioned faults are negligible, and Pan's Labyrinth is ultimately a pretty damn good movie. Expand
  34. Jan 14, 2015
    One of the worst movies i've ever seen! Great visual effects, horrible story and a huge mind f11k for you! Don't waste your time on this s5it! 2 out of 10!
  35. Sep 14, 2014
    Del Toro is one of the few directors currently out there with the sort of unique vision that Kubrick or Lucas (forget the dialogue...think of the how far Star Wars was ahead of it's time in '77) had...Pan's Labyrinth is well deserving of it's 98...
  36. May 25, 2015
    This movies was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life! Maybe I feel that way because the score it has on so many sites. It has so, so many stupid moments, it's rather a pathetic excuse for a movie! Don't watch it, you are wasting your time!

I only made an account on metacritic to bash on this movie, that's how much I hated it, I mean it's so overrated, oh my dear god, I want my two hours back! I've never ever disliked a movie this much. Are the people who gave the movie 10/10 blind, are they mentally slow? In conclusion, don't waste your time, if you watch it, please spot the cliche in the movie, the sheer stupidity of some of their actions is unimaginable!
  37. MiguelM.
    Mar 18, 2007
    It's a bit boring, but visually powerful, the "real" part it's too simple, the fantastic part it's beautifull. Overrated and hype, but it's worth seen it. Greetings from Spain.
  38. BretG.
    Mar 2, 2007
    It's not often you see anything with a score this high on Metacritic, so I just had to see this movie and I was awestruck. At every point in the movie I was either contemplating "what this is" or "what this could be", gasping in utter horrorstricken suspense or gripping my seat, ect. Truly a great and very original movie. Although I half expected David Bowie to pop out at anytime to It's not often you see anything with a score this high on Metacritic, so I just had to see this movie and I was awestruck. At every point in the movie I was either contemplating "what this is" or "what this could be", gasping in utter horrorstricken suspense or gripping my seat, ect. Truly a great and very original movie. Although I half expected David Bowie to pop out at anytime to sing "Dance magic dance!" This is a movie that certainly doesnt disappoint, unless you want to see Davie Bowie pop out to sing "Dance magic dance!" maybe in spanish, theres nothing wrong with that I guess. David Bowie is cool man. Expand
  39. FrennB.
    Apr 2, 2007
    I'm a little bit surprised that so many critics, and viewers have given this film a 10. I think it's a beautiful, disturbing movie, and I would give it 8.5, cause I feel it stops short of true greatness only just. But a 10? Not sure. I'm a Spaniard, so I had the advantage of watching the movie in my mother tongue and accent. I happen to like a lot Sergi Garcia, from his I'm a little bit surprised that so many critics, and viewers have given this film a 10. I think it's a beautiful, disturbing movie, and I would give it 8.5, cause I feel it stops short of true greatness only just. But a 10? Not sure. I'm a Spaniard, so I had the advantage of watching the movie in my mother tongue and accent. I happen to like a lot Sergi Garcia, from his earlier movies in France and Spain. He's great at comedy, and outstanding as a villain, as in this movie here. Maribel Verdu is a thirty-something actress who's been in movies since I was a kid (so was she), and is also a fine actress. The girl, Ivana Baquero, is also pretty good. So the acting is very good. The plot is OK-ish, if somewhat predictable , but it's well told, edited and beautifully shot. The imaginary and the real world are very well put together. The music is also beautiful, and falls into the "haunting" category so sought after nowadays, especially in a fairy-tale movie like this. I loved this film, and I strongly recommend it to anyone, but I wouldn't go to the cinema expecting a masterpiece, cause it ain't one! Expand
  40. MH.
    Apr 5, 2007
    This is a great film for several reasons and I personally enjoyed it thoroughly, but it is hated by many who expected a charming flick about little girls befriending mythical creatures. The only real criticisms seem to be that there was too much violence and not enough fantasy, which already would suggest that the people who use these criticisms simply went to see the wrong film (and This is a great film for several reasons and I personally enjoyed it thoroughly, but it is hated by many who expected a charming flick about little girls befriending mythical creatures. The only real criticisms seem to be that there was too much violence and not enough fantasy, which already would suggest that the people who use these criticisms simply went to see the wrong film (and would probably have been more content to rent out Disney Expand
  41. PnArdyPnArdy
    May 13, 2007
    Great drama, unique story, not bad FX, still didn't like it much - fascists etc. - not quite entertaining.
  42. PizzleRizzle
    May 5, 2007
    I'm somewhat of a pessimist in general going into movies, and this case is no different. This movie was absolutely not what I expected in any sense. That being said, I was enthralled from start to finish. I viewed everything from the perspective of the girl, and truly enjoyed the blurred lines between fantasy and reality. It was impossible to know where the girl's mind ended and I'm somewhat of a pessimist in general going into movies, and this case is no different. This movie was absolutely not what I expected in any sense. That being said, I was enthralled from start to finish. I viewed everything from the perspective of the girl, and truly enjoyed the blurred lines between fantasy and reality. It was impossible to know where the girl's mind ended and reality started. The shocking violence was also refreshing. Only disney made fairy tales family-friendly. Hansel and Gretel is one of the most brutal and disturbing stories for a child. Their parents abandoned them, a witch tried to cannibalize them, and then they murdered her via fire. This film is what a fairy tale is supposed to be: invigorating, tragic, and thought-provoking. Expand
  43. KeetonJohnson
    Jun 1, 2007
    This movie is probably the most wierd movie you'll ever see, yet one of the most amazing. A mix of horror and fantasy, with a dose of reality stuck in there. Even if you don't speak Spanish, and have to read the subtitles, unless you hate to read, you should love this movie. Great music accompanies some great acting. I just wish it would have shown more of Ofelia's This movie is probably the most wierd movie you'll ever see, yet one of the most amazing. A mix of horror and fantasy, with a dose of reality stuck in there. Even if you don't speak Spanish, and have to read the subtitles, unless you hate to read, you should love this movie. Great music accompanies some great acting. I just wish it would have shown more of Ofelia's adventure and less of the war. One of the greatest movies of 2006. Expand
  44. CT
    Jun 2, 2007
    A modern version of classical fairy tales before they were Disney-fied or even Victorianized. A cautionary tale set in a world mixing fantasy and reality, with a child heroine having to make life and death decisions yet showing her naivety and innocence until the very last frame. Reflects a place where children are much more involved in the brutality of war and nature; something most A modern version of classical fairy tales before they were Disney-fied or even Victorianized. A cautionary tale set in a world mixing fantasy and reality, with a child heroine having to make life and death decisions yet showing her naivety and innocence until the very last frame. Reflects a place where children are much more involved in the brutality of war and nature; something most Western children are removed from except for their game consoles or news broadcasts. Read some pre-Victorian or non-Western children's stories and you may see why this more modern story is told so well. Expand
  45. EduardoM.
    Jul 1, 2007
    One of the best movies, I´ve ever seen, I watched it some days ago and I could not yet forget it. Wonderful, absolutely unforgettable, full of magic, power and breath-taking images. It creates a universe of its own, powerful, intense, original. A visionary film whose power of creation is unparalleled. A great movie.
  46. AbbyL
    Jul 20, 2007
    First I have to say great movie, second I agree with Lena, third it bothers me that people watch movies they know they're not going to like and then give them low scores. This film, as many have said, is the perfect mix of so many polar opposites. It is truly amazing how Del Toro actually pulls this movie off with such grace. I do believe that this movie deserves this score, it was First I have to say great movie, second I agree with Lena, third it bothers me that people watch movies they know they're not going to like and then give them low scores. This film, as many have said, is the perfect mix of so many polar opposites. It is truly amazing how Del Toro actually pulls this movie off with such grace. I do believe that this movie deserves this score, it was breath taking... and the end?! Oh the ending was... well I won't spoil it but I left that movie feeling upset for Ofelia. Anyways the point is the movie is wonderful and no matter what there will always be that one person saying to the most universally acclaimed film, "It sucked, don't watch it." But always trust the minority or just watch whatever you like watching. Expand
  47. JordanH
    Jul 20, 2007
    Word of the wise, if you don't like violence well then don't watch this movie. The movie is rated R for GRAPHIC VIOLENCE and some language! It's pathetic to say, this movie was dumb because it was violent! Please read the before you watch obviously. Well... Pan's Labyrinth was really good. It was just.. I don't know new in a way but old in another. Just watch the Word of the wise, if you don't like violence well then don't watch this movie. The movie is rated R for GRAPHIC VIOLENCE and some language! It's pathetic to say, this movie was dumb because it was violent! Please read the before you watch obviously. Well... Pan's Labyrinth was really good. It was just.. I don't know new in a way but old in another. Just watch the damn movie and decide for yourself but before you watcha and say it's stupid remember GRAPHIC VIOLENCE! Expand
  48. LaurenU
    Jul 20, 2007
    Very good movie, very compelling. And to say that I claimed it was good simply because someone told me it was is a lie. I can think for myself and watch a good movie. And yes critics usually rate foreign films high, but look at the sheer originality of those films, my opinion is that a lot of american directors either take a book and make a terrible movie, take a play and make a decent Very good movie, very compelling. And to say that I claimed it was good simply because someone told me it was is a lie. I can think for myself and watch a good movie. And yes critics usually rate foreign films high, but look at the sheer originality of those films, my opinion is that a lot of american directors either take a book and make a terrible movie, take a play and make a decent movie, or remake a foreign film and everyone loves it. Expand
  49. TylerC.
    Feb 6, 2008
    The most successful of it's kind. Great, memorable scenes. Beautiful and grotesque, always tense.
  50. Mario
    Jan 15, 2009
    Pan's labyrinth is a must, if you haven't rent it, then DO IT! it's a nice movie I loved it and I hope everyone else does.
  51. ReneC
    Sep 25, 2009
    Excellent! I used this film as part of a school curriculum... Yes a I am a professor.. Some critics said: "a 6 because is violent"... These people should just look around them.. maybe they are playing the part of Ofelia... I think these people should go and live in Disneyland.
  52. EusebioP
    Sep 7, 2009
    Wonderful fairy tales and atrocious reality melt a lake of fantasy where you will drown like a child in the bed reading the Lord of the Rings for the first time. Superb.
  53. TiagoF
    Jan 6, 2010
    Brilliant. Magical realism at it's best. Some people don't like it because they expect something else. Others don't like it because they just don't get it. People who now what to expect and can understand this masterpiece will NOT be disappointed.
  54. DaveH
    Feb 14, 2010
    I did enjoy this film but I believe Guillermo del Toro can do better films than this one, it's good, but it doesn't interest me much.
  55. ColeeW.
    Dec 30, 2006
    Intricate and graceful, del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth is a work of art to savor.
  56. JoeC.
    Jan 11, 2007
    I must say this movie was so good I'm going to see it again easily. I don't quite get all the negative reviews everyone (minus the critics of course) have been posting. Is it because mainly all critics enjoyed it? Probably but all this aside Pan's Labyrinth in my opinion is easily the best film of the Year! Full of character, mysteries & mainly a great story reminiscent of I must say this movie was so good I'm going to see it again easily. I don't quite get all the negative reviews everyone (minus the critics of course) have been posting. Is it because mainly all critics enjoyed it? Probably but all this aside Pan's Labyrinth in my opinion is easily the best film of the Year! Full of character, mysteries & mainly a great story reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland Meets Hellraiser meets All Great Wartime Films. An astonishing accomplishment! Expand
  57. BradG.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Beautiful, terrifying, and heartbreaking. Fantastic movie.
  58. LauraG.
    Jan 14, 2007
    I would score an 8.5 if it was an option. With a 97 rating on Metacritic, I was expecting something totally amazing. Don't get me wrong, it is very good, but just not amazing. I will say that it is inspiring to see this Hollywood director create something so visually engrossing. The actors for Ophelia, the Captain and Mercedes are in very good form. But the story itself needs some I would score an 8.5 if it was an option. With a 97 rating on Metacritic, I was expecting something totally amazing. Don't get me wrong, it is very good, but just not amazing. I will say that it is inspiring to see this Hollywood director create something so visually engrossing. The actors for Ophelia, the Captain and Mercedes are in very good form. But the story itself needs some fleshing out - I just wanted more. You never fully connect with any character except a complete disgust for the Captain and sympathy for his victims. The transitions between reality and fantasy are often odd or abrupt. Could have been amazing, but just didn't quite get there. Expand
  59. AlanC.
    Jan 18, 2007
    New York Magazine rates it 80...their reviews are the most unreliable of any publication I read. The movie is fantastic!
  60. LeeF.
    Jan 19, 2007
    Better, even, than The Devil's Backbone. I was astonished at how much I liked this movie.
  61. Tim
    Jan 21, 2007
    i just saw this film and... i dont even know where to begin. my heart has been ripped in two... the devastating beauty, yet the devastation- the entire theater was dead silent when the credits began to roll, every soul in the house marinating in the beautiful sadness... the reviews cannot convey... you must see it yourself.
  62. JeremyM.
    Jan 21, 2007
    I just saw the movie not too long ago and it was worth it. It's not for young children and then again people should have understood it knowing that the rating was and R rating.. The subject that came to my mind after the movie is that no matter how old you are you are always clashing between what is fantasy and what is reality. In our minds as people we are always clashing with what I just saw the movie not too long ago and it was worth it. It's not for young children and then again people should have understood it knowing that the rating was and R rating.. The subject that came to my mind after the movie is that no matter how old you are you are always clashing between what is fantasy and what is reality. In our minds as people we are always clashing with what is fantasy and what is reality. It does not matter what perception our minds are in the chaos is there to deal with as of now. M.S. said a lot in his comments and I am going to put them in here because this person made sense "M. S. gave it a9: Before I say anything about this movie I would just like to ask a few questions. Is the violence in this movie as gratituous or as brutal as many of the reviewers here would suggest? The answer to that question is no. The violence was by no means as gruesome or as intrusive to the film's messages as many of these score keepers suggest. I apologize but this isn't Hostel. Can you be THAT squeamish? My belief is a few of you don't believe that a contemporary piece can possibly merit such critical acclaim. As many of you have pointed out, you wanted to see that 98 go down a notch. Ok. Your vote only affects user scores, idiots. With that out of the way, I would like to announce that this is one of the most beautifully directed and realized films of the year. Though it's plot may be simple and the special effects may not devour the screen, the stark and grim reality of what is seen is portrayed with an unflinching love for what is possible in our minds. If anything, my only complaint would be that the fantasy world of Ophelia, the main character, was not seen enough. But I realize that this was necessary. It shows how the greed, bloodlust, and chaos of our world affects the minds of the young and the curious and how the real world's scary tendencies are not forgotten within the imagination. The scene with the horrifying "Pale Man" is the perfect example. A hideous and bloodthirsty, yet totally fantasized entity wishing to do harm to Ophelia. This helps emphasize on the truth that pain and fear as well as love and laughter encompass all worlds, whether fictional or factual. The concepts of our reality never die even if its imagery and logic does. Acting wise this movie is grade A. Every person in the cast makes his or her role believable and vital to the overall presentation. The camera work was gorgeous and the special effects were, if not subtle, breath-taking in their aesthetic. Before I decide to top this review off, I would like to say that the packed theatre I was in clapped loudly and before that clapped a particularly tense yet triumphant escape scene. It had a totally unanimous effect on the crowd, showcasing the genious of the movie's acting, writing, directing, and pacing. This film is not for everyone but for anyone with an open mind, heart, or imagination...please see this." Stephanie P's comments made sense as well.. "Stephanie P. gave it a10: For the naysayers who think that there was (a) no plot or character development, (b) lack of fantasy elements throughout the film, and (c) nothing worth loving in this film other than startling visuals, then I have to wonder if you're thinking outside of the box at all!!! del Toro does an amazing job at paralleling the fantasy of the Underworld and the fantasy of Fascism - the "fantasy" is throughout; it is a fairy tale throughout... sometimes you don't always need monsters with eyes in their hands to signify "fantasy"... but, that was pretty creepy/awesome too. And, insofar as lack of character development, if you didn't cheer when Mercedes did the-thing-that-she-did-that-I'm-not-going-to-say-here-so-as-to-not-spoil-the-plot, then I can see how you thought character development was lacking but I also wonder if you were paying attention. All in all, del Toro's statement on horror both in fantasy and in politics, is so of the time that the movie goes beyond a simple beautiful piece of cinema. It is also very well crafted and intelligent and one of the best examples of traditional-horror-as-reflection-of-the-current-zeitgeist that I have seen." Cindy L's comments are with writing on here.... "Cindy L. gave it a10: The movie has been billed as a fairy tale for grownups -- I think that's a poor description. It is a movie about cruelty and being in the last place you want to be, and embracing the magic that presents itself. Much of the film isn't fairytale at all. It's cruel, horrible, and very difficult to watch. This is not, I say again NOT, a film for children. Ofelia has been torn from her world by the Captain. Those things that have been real to her are gone -- her father is dead, her mother's love is not hers alone anymore, she is in a strange place with strange sounds and strange people, everything feels wrong. Yet in that, and maybe because of that, she embraces the magic around her. Would a happy, well-adjusted child even seek out the labyrinth, even follow the insect fairy in the first place? Maybe it is only when we lack something, when we are lost, that we are willing to embrace something that would seem in a normal situation to be absurd. She never says, "weird!" or "this can't be happening". She never questions what she sees -- it is her possible salvation, and she accepts it straight off. When she sees the moon mark on her shoulder it only convinces her fully of what she had already accepted, and in the very next scene she introduces herself (fearlessly I might add) to the great toad as Princess Morella. She believes it utterly -- why? It feels like she knows that she has no other choice -- this is the way out, the only way out, and she takes it all willingly and bravely. Didn't we all wish to find out that secretly we are princesses and princes, that this life isn't our true life? (I know I did!) She surrenders to the fantasy in order to survive." I can go on and on and find the right remarks that makes this movie worth seeing again and again and I for those who understood the movie's psychological conflict. The comments that these people made on here are exactly what the movie hits on. For those who give this movie a 1 or a 0, are you afraid of reality and live in a fantasy world? Open your minds and think for once!!! Expand
  63. StephanieP.
    Jan 20, 2007
    For the naysayers who think that there was (a) no plot or character development, (b) lack of fantasy elements throughout the film, and (c) nothing worth loving in this film other than startling visuals, then I have to wonder if you're thinking outside of the box at all!!! del Toro does an amazing job at paralleling the fantasy of the Underworld and the fantasy of Fascism - the For the naysayers who think that there was (a) no plot or character development, (b) lack of fantasy elements throughout the film, and (c) nothing worth loving in this film other than startling visuals, then I have to wonder if you're thinking outside of the box at all!!! del Toro does an amazing job at paralleling the fantasy of the Underworld and the fantasy of Fascism - the "fantasy" is throughout; it is a fairy tale throughout... sometimes you don't always need monsters with eyes in their hands to signify "fantasy"... but, that was pretty creepy/awesome too. And, insofar as lack of character development, if you didn't cheer when Mercedes did the-thing-that-she-did-that-I'm-not-going-to-say-here-so-as-to-not-spoil-the-plot, then I can see how you thought character development was lacking but I also wonder if you were paying attention. All in all, del Toro's statement on horror both in fantasy and in politics, is so of the time that the movie goes beyond a simple beautiful piece of cinema. It is also very well crafted and intelligent and one of the best examples of traditional-horror-as-reflection-of-the-current-zeitgeist that I have seen. Expand
  64. BobB.
    Jan 20, 2007
    I agree with people saying that the advertisement campaign was pretty misleading, but at the same time I believe this movie is still pretty darn good. To be honest, I wouldn't have been disappointed at all if the ads had just said "Come see this movie, it's great". But instead they were pretty misleading, and in the end you think to yourself "Wow, that was a pretty good movie, I agree with people saying that the advertisement campaign was pretty misleading, but at the same time I believe this movie is still pretty darn good. To be honest, I wouldn't have been disappointed at all if the ads had just said "Come see this movie, it's great". But instead they were pretty misleading, and in the end you think to yourself "Wow, that was a pretty good movie, but it wasn't what they said it would be", so overall you end up being pretty disappointed. Definitely not a smart move, in my view it's better to let the audience decide for themselves before you tell them how great your movie is. As for Ryan C, I think you missed the point of rating movies : You rate it what you think it should get, not rate it based on what other people gave it. If you thought it's overrated, fine, but lowering your score in an attempt to lower the overall score is just imposing your beliefs on other people. Expand
  65. JeffS.
    Jan 22, 2007
    I simply do not understand the dislike for this movie I've been seeing around the web. It's not Hellboy, but it really is a perfectly realized fable about life's choices, working on multiple levels which, frankly, are really not too difficult to figure out. This is Amelie-level accessible, and just as poignant.
  66. WillG.
    Jan 25, 2007
    This movie is perhaps the most amazing movie I have seen in quite some time, certainly the best of 2006. It grabs you from the first scenes of the film and doesn't loosen its grasp even after it is over. Incredible acting by all actors. Not only a fantasy film, but a perfect drama.
  67. SteveA.
    Jan 27, 2007
    This movie was beautiful. I think a lot of people were upset because the movie was part war movie. However, that half of the movie was as well written as the fantasy part, and it had as many good twists in it. Perhaps, the movie's American audience is burned out on war movies (and war period). I can also see a back-lash toward Eastwood's current war movie. Anyhow, I found this This movie was beautiful. I think a lot of people were upset because the movie was part war movie. However, that half of the movie was as well written as the fantasy part, and it had as many good twists in it. Perhaps, the movie's American audience is burned out on war movies (and war period). I can also see a back-lash toward Eastwood's current war movie. Anyhow, I found this to be a wonderful movie. I loved the Mercedes character. Not only was she extremely humble and kind, but her fate seemed grave, and you could see the sadness and fear in her eyes throughout. To a lesser extent, my heart also went out for the little girl. However, the child was so entrenched in her fantasies (and her situation more hopeful) that it gave the character less rooting power than the Mercedes character. I think that might have hurt the end a little. Furthermore, by giving his artestry back to his people, Del Toro probably did the right thing. However, I also feel that Del Toro cooked his golden goose. If this movie had been made in English, it probably would have swept the Oscars and box office. (But is that what movie making is about?) Expand
  68. DavidV.
    Jan 28, 2007
    Magical realism at its very best. Lyrically, one can not deny its relevance to Marquez. Likewise, this is the kind of story Rushdie has been trying to tell his entire career and has fallen short. The Renaissance of Mexican filmmaking has been underway for at least ten years now, and "Pan's Labyrinth" ranks among the country's very top achievements. Undoubtedly, the best film of Magical realism at its very best. Lyrically, one can not deny its relevance to Marquez. Likewise, this is the kind of story Rushdie has been trying to tell his entire career and has fallen short. The Renaissance of Mexican filmmaking has been underway for at least ten years now, and "Pan's Labyrinth" ranks among the country's very top achievements. Undoubtedly, the best film of the year. Expand
  69. JimbeauR.
    Jan 28, 2007
    This one gets my 2006 award for Movie Most Over-hyped by Intellectual Critics. Excellently acted and produced, but it ruins itself by an ending that destroys the (rather paranoidal and grim) fantasy part, which turns out to have been just a lonely girl's attempt to escape an evil reality. And knowing the historical context--that the rebels' efforts were doomed to failure and This one gets my 2006 award for Movie Most Over-hyped by Intellectual Critics. Excellently acted and produced, but it ruins itself by an ending that destroys the (rather paranoidal and grim) fantasy part, which turns out to have been just a lonely girl's attempt to escape an evil reality. And knowing the historical context--that the rebels' efforts were doomed to failure and that Franco's regime would rule Spain for another 30 years--made the ending even more pointless. Expand
  70. JordanZ.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Too much time wasted on the general and the relationship between the worker and her secret soldier lover. It should've focused more on the girl. More on fantasty. Less on bullshit realism and people. BUT, this is a wonderful film. Really beautiful, nicely shot, creates tension, sadness, really evokes emotion, some nice shots, really good stuff here. certainly one of the year's Too much time wasted on the general and the relationship between the worker and her secret soldier lover. It should've focused more on the girl. More on fantasty. Less on bullshit realism and people. BUT, this is a wonderful film. Really beautiful, nicely shot, creates tension, sadness, really evokes emotion, some nice shots, really good stuff here. certainly one of the year's best but it does have it's problem (as mentioned above). Expand
  71. TetoB.
    Jan 4, 2007
    Excelente pelicula, es una rara mezcla de terror, guerra civil, drama y fantasía, donde las mismas hadas no siempre salen bien libradas, imaginen entonces a los que desean verlas?, el Fauno está mas feo que el mismo diablo, perfecto!. y toda esta combinación funciona!.
  72. BrianC.
    Jan 5, 2007
    Definitely worth seeing due to its unique nature, but prepared to be surprised by its story. The way del Toro is able to intertwine reality and fantasy plus history seamlessly into one is unmatched.
  73. Barry
    Oct 8, 2007
    Good but stupidly overrated.
  74. StephenD.
    Jan 9, 2007
    Glowing from the opening credits to the final scene. Cruel, tragic, terrifying and at times just purely beautiful. Building a divide for audiences to feel hatred and love for characters is never easy but here its magnifcient. The acting is of such a high standard many careers should blossom from such performances. First rate stuff.
  75. TomG.
    Feb 11, 2007
    I just watched PL an hour ago or so and it has got me searching the Internet for more information on this fantastic and timeless film. Like The Secret Garden, it is about that emotional disjoint in life between cynical and cruel reality and the hope and boundless generosity of myth and childhood. One of the best movies I've ever seen.
  76. CoryH.
    Feb 11, 2007
    I am a huge fan of both the fantasy and horror genre, and I have never seen a movie in either that left me as affected as this film did. What Del Toro has done is created a world that is horrifying and ugly in the physical sense, but one that is beautiful and intriguing as well. It is a world I would love to visit, but would scare the hell out of me. Be warned that it is in Spanish with I am a huge fan of both the fantasy and horror genre, and I have never seen a movie in either that left me as affected as this film did. What Del Toro has done is created a world that is horrifying and ugly in the physical sense, but one that is beautiful and intriguing as well. It is a world I would love to visit, but would scare the hell out of me. Be warned that it is in Spanish with English subtitles, but you won't even realize it ten minutes in. This is not a film for children by any means, but it reminded me of the first time I saw movies like Tron, The Neverending Story, and Labryinth. It will take to a place in your mind where you were afraid of went bump in the night, but will make you want to see what is making the noises. Go see it, and be amazed!!! Expand
  77. AdamT.
    Feb 11, 2007
    I am 45 years old andthis is the finest movie I have ever seen.
  78. PaulN.
    Feb 1, 2007
    An absolute masterpiece. Visually stunning and a wonderful deomstration that fantasy can be reality too.
  79. TimK
    Feb 1, 2007
    Of the 200-some-odd foreign films I've seen, this easily ranks in my top 5... though I hate to classify it that way, I know there are some that will undoubtedly stay away just because. Of the thousands of films I've seen, this may just wind up around the top ten. The combination of cinematography, direction, and story, along with the superb acting makes this a very rare treat. Of the 200-some-odd foreign films I've seen, this easily ranks in my top 5... though I hate to classify it that way, I know there are some that will undoubtedly stay away just because. Of the thousands of films I've seen, this may just wind up around the top ten. The combination of cinematography, direction, and story, along with the superb acting makes this a very rare treat. My wife came out of the theater and said "That's what I want for Christmas next year". Hopefully we'll be able to view it again long before then. Expand
  80. JustinS.
    Feb 18, 2007
    A great movie, as long as you know what you're in for. It may be billed as a fair tale, but its not one Walt Disney could ever have dreamed up. This is very much a gothic movie aimed squarely at adults. It is extremely dark, even depressing and graphically violent, with only the faintest hint of a happy ending. I don't know if the movie's rating in other places gives the A great movie, as long as you know what you're in for. It may be billed as a fair tale, but its not one Walt Disney could ever have dreamed up. This is very much a gothic movie aimed squarely at adults. It is extremely dark, even depressing and graphically violent, with only the faintest hint of a happy ending. I don't know if the movie's rating in other places gives the wrong impression, but suffice to say it most definitely deserves and R and children should not be allowed anywhere near it. Nevertheless, the movie is very imaginative and very well done. Its also extremely engrossing and adults will probably find it immensely satisfying, even though it will probably leave you profoundly depressed at the end. Expand
  81. StevenC.
    Feb 19, 2007
    I am saddened to see some people overlook every aspect of such a great movie, and instead focus solely on the violence or the lack of a deep, thought provoking, life changing plot. Pan's Labyrinth may not be the most family-oriented film of the season, but it does what so many movies have forgotten to do: tell a story. The movie tells a fairytale the way they used to be, before I am saddened to see some people overlook every aspect of such a great movie, and instead focus solely on the violence or the lack of a deep, thought provoking, life changing plot. Pan's Labyrinth may not be the most family-oriented film of the season, but it does what so many movies have forgotten to do: tell a story. The movie tells a fairytale the way they used to be, before Disneyland and overly-concerned parents. The movie is hardly violent on an unnecessary scale (Saw or Hostel), but instead focuses on the harsh realities of a world where good people do not always live. Ofelia's story is insperational and heart-warming; a young girl who is compassionate about good, wishes to vanquish evil and most importantly, seeks to find meaning in her world, her life. As I mentioned before, this film does not open your eyes to some new dimension; it simply tells a classic fairytale, without the make-up and glitter that hides reality in so much of our daily lives. Expand
  82. ChrisD.
    Feb 2, 2007
    One of the best movies of the year. I'm amazed that some people rated this movie below an 8, even as low as a 0 in some cases. These people need their heads examined. I guess it hurts some people to have to actually use their brain to follow a story.
  83. JeremyF.
    Feb 22, 2007
    This movie is beyond perfection. I am so disappointed to see how many people overlook each detail. They say there's too much violence, and it's dark, and it's too depressing. And they're all wrong. I mean, yes it is a dark and depressing movie, but it's supposed to be. And it's not THAT depressing. Not so much that you can't watch it. And the violence is This movie is beyond perfection. I am so disappointed to see how many people overlook each detail. They say there's too much violence, and it's dark, and it's too depressing. And they're all wrong. I mean, yes it is a dark and depressing movie, but it's supposed to be. And it's not THAT depressing. Not so much that you can't watch it. And the violence is not tasteless or useless. i think it's right. Guillermo Del Toro always has a lot of gore. Now, with that said... The movie's brilliance is almost indescribable. Ivana Baquero is an amazing aspiring young actress. And Sergi Lopez is amazing in his role as the heartless villain. All the acting is incredible. The visuals are as astounding as the hype makes them out to be. The music is breathtakingly beautiful. The whole thing is just a beyond perfect piece of work. This is not a work of cinematic stupidity. It's cinematic genius. 10/10, no doubt. Expand
  84. JonC.
    Feb 26, 2007
    Truly a gothic fairy-tale, with a good script, wonderful cinematography, and awesome visual effects. The story is sad, but captivating. But luckily it does have its gorey scenes! Not a good film for a date. Not a good film to watch with a group of guys. Not a good movie for small children. Perfect family film, to watch together.
  85. BillyB.T.
    Feb 3, 2007
    A great film that I can easily recommend to anyone despite the very gruesome torture/murder scenes. I don't want to ruin the plot but if you are looking for an easy thematic reference look to Milton's "Marriage of Heaven and Hell". Ophelia makes for the best Satan ever committed to film. The other prevalent theme, outside of the main theme rebellion vs order, is a slightly more A great film that I can easily recommend to anyone despite the very gruesome torture/murder scenes. I don't want to ruin the plot but if you are looking for an easy thematic reference look to Milton's "Marriage of Heaven and Hell". Ophelia makes for the best Satan ever committed to film. The other prevalent theme, outside of the main theme rebellion vs order, is a slightly more obtuse one of how we must fight to help shape the paths of our children and their collective futures. Expand
  86. mulderdog
    Feb 4, 2007
    Maybe 98 is a little high, but I enjoyed this movie more than any other in recent memory. A solid 95 for me.
  87. marksfreecomixcartoonist
    Feb 4, 2007
    Beautiful and gut-wrenching, fantastic and sad, people openly wept all around me. I am strongly tempted to give it a 10 'cause it really succeeds in all it attempts to do. Acting, story everything worked. Del Toro is a poet.
  88. CatherineC.
    Feb 4, 2007
    Captivating, haunting, visceral and heartbreakingly sad, at times, this movie enobles the viewer in a way that few others have.
  89. BrettR
    Feb 4, 2007
    Celeste R. is clearly not well cultured. This film is a depiction of the post-civil war era of Spain as seen through the escapism of a little girl. Children often conceive adults by one-dimensional characteristics, and they are beautifully captured. However, there is no one-dimension to this story. From the religious references to the forbidden fruit tempting the woman via the grapes to Celeste R. is clearly not well cultured. This film is a depiction of the post-civil war era of Spain as seen through the escapism of a little girl. Children often conceive adults by one-dimensional characteristics, and they are beautifully captured. However, there is no one-dimension to this story. From the religious references to the forbidden fruit tempting the woman via the grapes to the obvious Goya reference of Saturno comiendo su hijo with the Pale Man eating the fairies, there are distinct influences in this movie which embody 40's Spanish sentiment. Patriarchy and Fascism are oft depicted through violence but never with such force and clarity. There's also nothing ditzy about a mother trying to save her daughter from the slums of 1940's Barcelona. Don't critize a film if you didn't understand it. Perfecto. Celeste, read some Borges while you're at it. Expand
  90. B.K.
    Feb 6, 2007
    This movie is a work of art. It deserves the 98/100 it got. The story is wonderfully woven between our world and a fantasy world either created or lived by a young girl. The visuals are fantastic. Sure, it is violent, but it works with the movie. Some people are dissapointed because it's not what they expected, but that doesn't make it a bad movie, it's still the same great This movie is a work of art. It deserves the 98/100 it got. The story is wonderfully woven between our world and a fantasy world either created or lived by a young girl. The visuals are fantastic. Sure, it is violent, but it works with the movie. Some people are dissapointed because it's not what they expected, but that doesn't make it a bad movie, it's still the same great movie if you knew what it was before you saw it or not. Another thing is don't follow the low user reviews, because there are people who are rating too low just to lower the score, which just chances people from going to see the best film of the year. Expand
  91. EvanC.
    Feb 7, 2007
    I saw the trailer twice and both times thought to myself this is one to miss. However, because of the uniformly great reviews, I decided to go see it, and I'm glad I did. It is one of the best movies I have seen in years, and keeps haunting me. The trailer does the movie injustice. See it!
  92. TimB.
    Feb 9, 2007
    Excellent movie, very beautiful and surprisingly deep.
  93. BJones
    Feb 9, 2007
    Absolutely one of the greatest movies ever created. It is so engrossing, that I couldn't even explain what it was about after until I had a half an hour to get my thoughts together and attempt to do it justice. Astonishing would be an understatement.
  94. NancyH
    Feb 9, 2007
    Wow--it's one of the best films all year--no kidding. This is heart breaking and brilliant. Acting is fantastic.
  95. JIMD.
    Mar 11, 2007
    This movie blew me away ! Depth, imagitation glimpse into the madness of all it's characters.... Excellent entertainement.
  96. ChristianB.
    Mar 10, 2007
    This movie is simply superb, the story is touching and moving - as a matter of fact, the whole theatre was captured in silence at the end. The actors do a tremendous job. The only criticism one might include is that some parts of the plot are somewhat predictable - but since Pan's Labyrinth is an adult (I mean adult! This movie has mature content) fairy tale, that's not too much This movie is simply superb, the story is touching and moving - as a matter of fact, the whole theatre was captured in silence at the end. The actors do a tremendous job. The only criticism one might include is that some parts of the plot are somewhat predictable - but since Pan's Labyrinth is an adult (I mean adult! This movie has mature content) fairy tale, that's not too much of a point Expand
  97. DaveD.
    Mar 10, 2007
    I appreciate Del Toro's indictment of 20th century Europe. Ultimately, though, this film's rather unsubtle, unimaginative message: guerillas good, fascists bad.
  98. 2Roads
    Mar 20, 2007
    This is a stroke of brilliance by Guillermo del Toro-- the brilliance comes into play with how he has intricately woven the Parallel Journeys of the unconscious and conscious mind. It is a parable of moral choices versus blind obedience juxtaposed with the symbols of mythology and religion without getting lost in specific perceptions. The parable is told from the POV of fantasy being the This is a stroke of brilliance by Guillermo del Toro-- the brilliance comes into play with how he has intricately woven the Parallel Journeys of the unconscious and conscious mind. It is a parable of moral choices versus blind obedience juxtaposed with the symbols of mythology and religion without getting lost in specific perceptions. The parable is told from the POV of fantasy being the reality. It is the test of what one believes even though it cannot be seen Expand
  99. T.user
    Mar 28, 2007
    This film was a work of art a brilliant story that takes you into a world of fantasy. I had no expectations going into the movie as I didnt know what the movie was about. I was positivley surprised at how mindblowing this movie was I could not leave my seat for fear of missing anything.
  100. NenadJ.
    Mar 4, 2007
    Mix of fairy tale and cruel war film, incredible feeling during watching, must watch!

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.