8.5

1. MiguelB.
    Sep 20, 2007
    This movie is an instant classic, a master piece, something you haven´t seen before, some people didn't like the end, well the thing is that there is no end, the movie is so ambiguous, that you can choose an end, you can choose to believe that Ofelia died in vain and that fairies never existed or you can choose to believe that she made a change, and some sort of "heaven" awaits This movie is an instant classic, a master piece, something you haven´t seen before, some people didn't like the end, well the thing is that there is no end, the movie is so ambiguous, that you can choose an end, you can choose to believe that Ofelia died in vain and that fairies never existed or you can choose to believe that she made a change, and some sort of "heaven" awaits for people who do the right thing, which most of the times is the difficult painful thing, in other words you can choose to be Vidal or to be Ofelia, it´s called free will, remember that the pan never forced Ofelia into nothing, she chose her path, the one she thought was the right one, and she lived with the consequences. People who bash this movie do it because they were expecting a clear end, they were expecting the director to take them by the hand and show them the way out of this madness, they couldn't stand the stress of the overwhelming ambiguity and uncertainty of the film, but it is ok because that was the intention of the film, (in other words you feel like Ofelia did, you feel lost, and you choose to believe what you think is right) This is not the never ending story kind of film where everybody lives happy for ever and ever, or the labyrinth where Sarah and her brother Toby return home safely. Hmmm or is it?? Greetings from Mexico. Expand
  2. AnonymousMC
    Nov 1, 2008
    This movie is easily the best movie ever made (in my opinion). Del Toro blends fantasy and reality perfectly. The movie is beautiful and flawless, and shows brutality and innocence. Those hate it should go back to watching Meet the Spartans or Epic Movie, since you obviously don't know what a real film is. A perfect 10/10 for Pan's Labyrinth.
  3. JeanB
    Jan 21, 2008
    This movie is definitely not a fantasy film. If you judge by the normal measures of cinema, and not by your own arbitrary expectations, you will find an truly epic film.
  4. JanetC
    Dec 22, 2008
    A BEAUTIFUL anti-Fascist allegory, which can also be enjoyed merely on a surface, aesthetic level. Anybody who fails to be impressed by this has no heart, no soul and no mind. Flawless in concept, casting and execution.
  5. CooperH.
    Jan 26, 2008
    I have never fallen so much in love with a story before seeing this.
  6. MarkD.
    Jan 29, 2008
    Stunning visuals and a great story.
  7. JajaM
    Feb 3, 2008
    It was so beautiful shot and i fell in love with the characters.
  8. PedroM.
    May 15, 2008
    Excellent movie. Very entertaining, really a classic. It has lots of violence, but instead of insulting it is sad, and makes one aware that reality is more violent.
  9. HugoB.
    May 17, 2008
    Most beautiful, emotional and gripping movie I've ever seen. I was left feeling happy and sad all in one go.
  10. MikeN
    May 20, 2008
    Honestly, this film is simply confused. Del Toro should have choosen one story line or the other to be the center of the film and the other story to support and enrich it. As it stands, neither story seems real. That said, the imagery is unforgettable.
  11. JakeH.
    May 24, 2008
    Holy Shit! This movie kicked ass! The gory bloody parts are amazing and the fact that it's in a different langauge totally ROCKS!!
  12. MichaelM.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Imaginative, amazing.
  13. ChenL.
    Jul 22, 2008
    What a beautiful movie.
  14. joeq
    Nov 4, 2009
    Um, liz S, you just picked the two people who rated below you to comment on, you didn't even read most of the reviews. Also, saying, the movie is perfect doesn't provide any sort of insight or details as to why the film is so great, so I'd have to say you're the one who is being "simply ridiculous". I though the film was good movie, and be a big Guillermo del Toro fan Um, liz S, you just picked the two people who rated below you to comment on, you didn't even read most of the reviews. Also, saying, the movie is perfect doesn't provide any sort of insight or details as to why the film is so great, so I'd have to say you're the one who is being "simply ridiculous". I though the film was good movie, and be a big Guillermo del Toro fan certainly doesn't hurt. I though it was creative enough, but also a little excessive at points. Expand
  15. TomT
    Jan 27, 2009
    Brilliant elements, but they don't quite cohere. For me, the graphic ultra-violence limits the appeal. Yet the savagery of the Spanish conflict can hardly be overstated. A friend's father was a youngster who fled his bombed provincial town with thousands of civilians, mostly women and children. Every warplane they encountered, of either side, bombed and strafed these innocents.
  16. EddieEagle
    Feb 27, 2009
    Outstanding. I wasn't aware of the critical acclaim received by this movie and more stumbled on the film by chance. What a great film it is and it works on so many levels. Very emotive and beautifully shot with some fantastic performances by the lead actors. Del toro cleverly interweaves the fantasy world and the real world proving to be a true master of his art. Bodes well for his Outstanding. I wasn't aware of the critical acclaim received by this movie and more stumbled on the film by chance. What a great film it is and it works on so many levels. Very emotive and beautifully shot with some fantastic performances by the lead actors. Del toro cleverly interweaves the fantasy world and the real world proving to be a true master of his art. Bodes well for his next project- the hobbit. If you have not seen this film I would encourage you to check it out and if you do not have a tear in you eye at the end you are made of some stern stuff Expand
  17. goodmovielolz
    May 26, 2009
    Kevin c is incredibly ignorant. this movie is brilliant. im sorry that some of you are too stupid to understand it.
  18. CarmineC
    May 3, 2009
    i hate the people who thinks that they are movie critics, this movie was incredible, this is a horror movie because it was scary compared to the sh*t that you see en discovery kids, Lord of the Rings was also cool kevin c, so when you have a smart argument for why it wasnt a great movie, post it here, Miguel V, you and kevin c are the only morons that rated it with a 2, you are not i hate the people who thinks that they are movie critics, this movie was incredible, this is a horror movie because it was scary compared to the sh*t that you see en discovery kids, Lord of the Rings was also cool kevin c, so when you have a smart argument for why it wasnt a great movie, post it here, Miguel V, you and kevin c are the only morons that rated it with a 2, you are not critics, me neither, but i see good movies and i can differ a good movie from a bad one. Expand
  19. NickG
    Jul 14, 2009
    Trying to balance out the user-score. The movie is violent, but like a previous comment its not Kill Bill like violence, it is cruel and distasteful.
  20. EmericC
    Aug 11, 2009
    Great movie, great actors. But something's missing in the plot.
  21. LizS
    Aug 16, 2009
    Some of the people leaving these ratings are ridiculous... A 5 because it does not deserve all the praise it has gotten.... a 9 because something is missing in the plot.... Simply ridiculous. This movie deserves a 10 in every aspect of cinematography. It is simply perfect and enchanting. It has some much more meaning than most of the films out there playing in theaters at the present moment.
  22. Unknown
    Sep 7, 2009
    After reading some of the reader reviews, I have completely lost faith in public opinion - moreso.This hauntingly beautiful foreign fairy tale/war movie, that intricately interplays abstract fantasy, and gritty realism can only be described as one the most provocative films of the decade. The story brilliantly portrays the harsh realities of the Spanish war and a young girl's After reading some of the reader reviews, I have completely lost faith in public opinion - moreso.This hauntingly beautiful foreign fairy tale/war movie, that intricately interplays abstract fantasy, and gritty realism can only be described as one the most provocative films of the decade. The story brilliantly portrays the harsh realities of the Spanish war and a young girl's desperate need to escape it, which leads to a heartbreaking climax which will annoy most, and leave others wallowing in its wondrously ironic metaphor. This is a thinking persons movie, and for those who say complain about the graphic violence, are the types of people who live in complete ignorance and shelter themselves from the realities of war. Although I would have liked to see more the subtly stylized fantasy aspect of the film, I understand why they abruptly cut it short - fairy tales do not last forever. With a haunting soundtrack, brilliantly well told story, fantastic acting and exquisitely disturbing images of the war - this is one film a smart person MUST see. Expand
  23. BillyC.
    Feb 12, 2010
    Modern fantasy tale - as graphic as any of the old Germanic tales. Visually wonderful - one of the very few movies I'd suggest getting on Blu-Ray (Yes, there is a visible difference in this movie).
  24. ClintM.
    May 19, 2010
    Original and non comprimising in both script and directing. I am not a fantasy/folklore fan and don't care much for Lord of the Rings nor Harry Potter etc but this movie works and stands on its own as unique, beautifully shot and actedanda middle finger to Hollywood. Guillermo's best movie in my opinion.
  25. Beeslo
    Dec 28, 2006
    The ultimate adult fairy tale! Pan's Labyrinth is by far, the best movie of 2006. An artful mixture of adventure and horror, this movie brings out the kid in every adult and at the same time scares it back it into the arms of its mother. Wonderfully directed and acted and filled with some of the best puppertry, this side of Jim Henson, Pan's Labyrinth easily succeeds in every The ultimate adult fairy tale! Pan's Labyrinth is by far, the best movie of 2006. An artful mixture of adventure and horror, this movie brings out the kid in every adult and at the same time scares it back it into the arms of its mother. Wonderfully directed and acted and filled with some of the best puppertry, this side of Jim Henson, Pan's Labyrinth easily succeeds in every facet where Mirrormask failed. Its beauty does not sacrifice from its heart and there is plenty of heart in this movie to fill up 10. I cannot stress enough how precious of a film this movie is and it will be long remembered as a modern day classic. Expand
  26. George
    Dec 29, 2006
    Easily one of the top 5 movies of the year. Very few movies change how future movies are made, but this one will. It is a cinema classic. There is almost nothing like it to compare it with. Perhaps Cocteau's "Beaty and the Beast" or "Lord of the Rings" . . . it is that good.
  27. BlancoA.
    Dec 31, 2006
    Yes, I was a little skeptical after noticing that massive metascore, but this is an absolutely beautiful film which lives up to every expectation of mine. The crowd in my theater was in stunned silence at the end, until a single person started to applaud which led to the entire theater erupting in applause. It's simply the best fim of the year. An instant classic. Here's to Yes, I was a little skeptical after noticing that massive metascore, but this is an absolutely beautiful film which lives up to every expectation of mine. The crowd in my theater was in stunned silence at the end, until a single person started to applaud which led to the entire theater erupting in applause. It's simply the best fim of the year. An instant classic. Here's to hoping this one gets a WIDE release so as many people can be exposed to its grace as possible. Expand
  28. NeilH.
    Dec 31, 2006
    There no way of describing this film which does not devalue it. If you care enough about films to read online reviews don't read any more - go see it.
  29. TracyB.
    Dec 31, 2006
    Excellent film- beautifully shot, excellent story.
  30. MattA
    Dec 30, 2006
    A Visionary, Emotional, Couragous, Imaginative, Epic Masterpiece. Enough said.
  31. JaneD.
    Dec 31, 2006
    I have never been more mesmerized by a film before this one. It is truly a fascinating tale that captivated my interest every second. Amazing acting, directing, cinematography and special effects combines to make a fairy tale that is very deep and moving. I recommend highly to anyone.
  32. LauraH.
    Jan 11, 2007
    Amazing and haunting. This is the best movie I have seen in a very long time. It masters beauty and the grotesque in the same breath. I will definitely be looking up other movies by this director.
  33. DWilly
    Jan 12, 2007
    Interesting, yes, occaisionally affecting, OK, but, my god! In no way deserving the numbers that would seem to indicate a great work of art. Some gaps and off-touches don't help: the beautiful mother is a creep, the girl giving into temptation seems stupid, and why doesn't that lady just kill the bastard when she has the chance! Also some things, like the faun, Pan himself, seem Interesting, yes, occaisionally affecting, OK, but, my god! In no way deserving the numbers that would seem to indicate a great work of art. Some gaps and off-touches don't help: the beautiful mother is a creep, the girl giving into temptation seems stupid, and why doesn't that lady just kill the bastard when she has the chance! Also some things, like the faun, Pan himself, seem a throwback to painfully camp Mexican SciFi. Expand
  34. MananP.
    Jan 12, 2007
    Brilliant. A unique movie going experince.
  35. Stevens
    Nov 23, 2007
    An impeccably structured film with gorgeous parallels and masterful storytelling. Each action served a major purpose to the personality of the character. The baby stopped crying when the captain came in because his prescense alone was so terrifying that the baby couldn't even make a sound. Mercedes inflicted damage on the captain but didn't make absolute sure before she fledAn impeccably structured film with gorgeous parallels and masterful storytelling. Each action served a major purpose to the personality of the character. The baby stopped crying when the captain came in because his prescense alone was so terrifying that the baby couldn't even make a sound. Mercedes inflicted damage on the captain but didn't make absolute sure before she fled in terror. Ofelia draws the door above her because she knew that was the way she came in and that she'd just end up in a wall.

And to those who say it doesn't have substance, well, that just makes me sad. The film drew beautifully off most classic fairy tales but then threw in ingenious parallels to the real world so some people would have an easier time taking it in context.

My 06 film of the year... so far. There's one left that could knock it out that I have yet to see and will be watching tomorrow called The Lives of Others. I also need to get my hands on a copy of Mutual Appreciation.
  36. EricaK.
    Jan 13, 2007
    I kept waiting for more fairy tale scenes of the labyrinth until I realized that the fairy tale isn't set against postwar Spain, it IS postwar Spain, itself, that is the Labyrinth.
  37. MitchellK.
    Jan 13, 2007
    Absolutely beautiful piece of art. Combines a fantastic story with beautiful visuals and above all a haunting presence that keeps you glued to your seat. Guillermo Del Toro really knows how to make a fairy tale for adults and kids alike. Mystical, powerful and, above all, brilliant.
  38. KurisuD.
    Jan 14, 2007
    The movie is okay. Nothing that deserves all these 10 ratings in my mind. Such high reviews raised my expectations to levels that are just impossible for this movie to achieve. I still gave it an 8 because of its unique story and the unusualness that keeps you wondering what exactly is real, whether or not the fairy tale is bad or good, and what will happen next. The special effects are The movie is okay. Nothing that deserves all these 10 ratings in my mind. Such high reviews raised my expectations to levels that are just impossible for this movie to achieve. I still gave it an 8 because of its unique story and the unusualness that keeps you wondering what exactly is real, whether or not the fairy tale is bad or good, and what will happen next. The special effects are great and unlike todays movies they add to the story rather than replace it. Bottom line I was just expecting more of a fairy tale movie, but instead was hit with more Rebel and El Capitan scenes. Example: The chalk scene with the monster and food really peeked my interest, but then just abruptly ended without much happening. Also, definitely definitely not for kids (lots of violence and scary characters) Good artistic piece.. definitely recommend watching. Expand
  39. OliverC.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Truly one of the best films ever made. It's possible that it could have been a little better, but if Gods made movies than the competition would be too unfair.
  40. DanC.
    Jan 14, 2007
    I really feel like ive just seen the best movie I'll ever see. The guy who said I was expecting more 'visually' is, um... blind. The girl is the first child actor I not only haven't wanted to strangle but absolutely got it, she understood what was goin on, understood how important she was and how good she had to be. It's a movie that doesn't ad lib, doesnt I really feel like ive just seen the best movie I'll ever see. The guy who said I was expecting more 'visually' is, um... blind. The girl is the first child actor I not only haven't wanted to strangle but absolutely got it, she understood what was goin on, understood how important she was and how good she had to be. It's a movie that doesn't ad lib, doesnt think about what to stuff in between the start the middle and the end, its so fully realised that its practically too real, thats hard to take! Which is strange for a movie thats based in fantasy - argh so good! Expand
  41. CindyL.
    Jan 14, 2007
    The movie has been billed as a fairy tale for grownups -- I think that's a poor description. It is a movie about cruelty and being in the last place you want to be, and embracing the magic that presents itself. Much of the film isn't fairytale at all. It's cruel, horrible, and very difficult to watch. This is not, I say again NOT, a film for children. Ofelia has been torn The movie has been billed as a fairy tale for grownups -- I think that's a poor description. It is a movie about cruelty and being in the last place you want to be, and embracing the magic that presents itself. Much of the film isn't fairytale at all. It's cruel, horrible, and very difficult to watch. This is not, I say again NOT, a film for children. Ofelia has been torn from her world by the Captain. Those things that have been real to her are gone -- her father is dead, her mother's love is not hers alone anymore, she is in a strange place with strange sounds and strange people, everything feels wrong. Yet in that, and maybe because of that, she embraces the magic around her. Would a happy, well-adjusted child even seek out the labyrinth, even follow the insect fairy in the first place? Maybe it is only when we lack something, when we are lost, that we are willing to embrace something that would seem in a normal situation to be absurd. She never says, "weird!" or "this can't be happening". She never questions what she sees -- it is her possible salvation, and she accepts it straight off. When she sees the moon mark on her shoulder it only convinces her fully of what she had already accepted, and in the very next scene she introduces herself (fearlessly I might add) to the great toad as Princess Morella. She believes it utterly -- why? It feels like she knows that she has no other choice -- this is the way out, the only way out, and she takes it all willingly and bravely. Didn't we all wish to find out that secretly we are princesses and princes, that this life isn't our true life? (I know I did!) She surrenders to the fantasy in order to survive. Expand
  42. ChadS.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Very good, but not the masterpiece it wants to be (and critics are making it out to be). There are three reasons for this: the fascism stuff is a bit too heavy-handed to be as engrossing as the fantasy, there's one unbelievably lazy plot turn (Ofelia's actions with the pale man), and Del Toro's violence fetish becomes more and more ridiculous (and unwatchable) as the film Very good, but not the masterpiece it wants to be (and critics are making it out to be). There are three reasons for this: the fascism stuff is a bit too heavy-handed to be as engrossing as the fantasy, there's one unbelievably lazy plot turn (Ofelia's actions with the pale man), and Del Toro's violence fetish becomes more and more ridiculous (and unwatchable) as the film goes on. Again, still very good, but 97-good? Nah. Expand
  43. IoannisS.
    Oct 15, 2007
    Innocence triumphs over evil even if in another life.
  44. madsp.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Terrifying, sweet.. Dark, light.. Fantasy, reality... Imagination, truth.. Hope, Despair... Life, death... Pans Labyrinth is one of the best movies of 2006.
  45. ArthurX
    Oct 17, 2007
    Those who found fault with the movies use of effects or props, both of which I found to be effective, are choosing to ignore a magnificent piece of art. Del Toro adeptly depicts the profound courage of his characters in a way that is both painful and uplifting. In blending the real with the surreal, he creates an ending that is satisfying yet true to the movie's ambiance.
  46. IvanD.
    Jan 19, 2007
    Simply perfect! All you can say is see it, see it, see it!!
  47. BillyS.
    Jan 19, 2007
    When a movie starts out with the narration- "A long time ago in another world there was a little princess...", you know you're watching a fairy tale. Plain and simple. Not a great metaphorical, deeply meaningful reflection of life, a fairy tale with breathtaking wonders and horrific evils, damsels in distress and sinister evildoers, places of wondorous glory and stick bug fairies and When a movie starts out with the narration- "A long time ago in another world there was a little princess...", you know you're watching a fairy tale. Plain and simple. Not a great metaphorical, deeply meaningful reflection of life, a fairy tale with breathtaking wonders and horrific evils, damsels in distress and sinister evildoers, places of wondorous glory and stick bug fairies and whether you believe it or not, a place where they lived happily ever after in the end. That said, Pan's Labyrinth is also the most brilliant, intelligent, visually stunning movie of a fairy tale ever filmed! Plain and simple. Expand
  48. ErikH.
    Jan 19, 2007
    Ryan C, you do not realize that your vote for a zero isn't going to change the 97 (now 98) metascore you complained about, right? That being said, this was an excellent film with impressive effects and excellent direction. Connecting fantasy with reality is nothing new, but Del Toro is able to craft it in such a way that the connection is more powerful than it has ever been in other Ryan C, you do not realize that your vote for a zero isn't going to change the 97 (now 98) metascore you complained about, right? That being said, this was an excellent film with impressive effects and excellent direction. Connecting fantasy with reality is nothing new, but Del Toro is able to craft it in such a way that the connection is more powerful than it has ever been in other films. This is easily one of the best films of 2006. It's a true must see! Expand
  49. MozzM.
    Jan 19, 2007
    This is the best most incredibly moving movie since I seen Schindler's List. It has become one of my top ten favorites, the first film to break into my top ten of all time, since I've seen Shawshank Redemption.
  50. AlisterL.
    Jan 21, 2007
    [***SPOILERS***] I can see how this movie might alienate some- those demanding a literal fantasy rather than a figurative one were always going to be disappointed ('Damn! I've been forced to think! Won't!). I'll admit I was also expecting something different, and was delighted by the surprise. This is truly intelligent, layered drama; something to savour again and [***SPOILERS***] I can see how this movie might alienate some- those demanding a literal fantasy rather than a figurative one were always going to be disappointed ('Damn! I've been forced to think! Won't!). I'll admit I was also expecting something different, and was delighted by the surprise. This is truly intelligent, layered drama; something to savour again and again. For those who gave it between 0 and 2, don't worry- the cast of polished mannequins that 'starred' in 'The Chronicles of Narnia' will be soon decorating the sequel in a multiplex near you. Expand
  51. ChipL.
    Jan 21, 2007
    The best anti-war movie I've seen in years. Very intense, very scary and very moving. NOT for children and not for those expecting a fun fantasy. Loved it.
  52. AmyA.
    Jan 21, 2007
    This is quite possibly one of the most profound allegorical films you will ever see. It is beautifully terrifying. The scene between the doctor and Vidal after the mercy killing rattles you. It proves that the truly strong are the ones who question the powers that be. So many are unwilling to do that in our world. The metaphorical fantasy of Ofelia juxtaposed with the nightmare of Facism This is quite possibly one of the most profound allegorical films you will ever see. It is beautifully terrifying. The scene between the doctor and Vidal after the mercy killing rattles you. It proves that the truly strong are the ones who question the powers that be. So many are unwilling to do that in our world. The metaphorical fantasy of Ofelia juxtaposed with the nightmare of Facism is brilliant. I am still deciding what is fanstastic and what is reality. This is a perfect-- and I am not one to use that term loosely--film. I will see it again in the theatre. It is worth every second and every penny. Del Toro is an amazing filmmaker. I hope he receives all of the acclaim that he deserves. It is a film for those who understand history and myth. It isn't for someone who wants to mindlessly be led into an escapist fantasy for 2 hours. Expand
  53. ChrisStoikoff
    Dec 14, 2007
    Quickly scrolling through the MANY reviews, I see a hell of a lot of Reds and Yellows. RIdiculous. This movie's story is so deep and entrancing as to be an instant classic, but you have to be watching the movie, and getting past the fact that there are subtitles to truly appreciate this masterpiece. Knowing Spanish would probably be a great asset to you as well.
  54. JonK
    Dec 16, 2007
    Not nearly as enjoyable as I had expected based on reviews. I hate to say it, but reading the subtitles distracted from the full enjoyment potential of the film. I also had a problem with some of the plot and actions. While there were subtle things going on that really require a second or third viewing, all good things that add to the masterful art of the film, I simply was uninspired.Not nearly as enjoyable as I had expected based on reviews. I hate to say it, but reading the subtitles distracted from the full enjoyment potential of the film. I also had a problem with some of the plot and actions. While there were subtle things going on that really require a second or third viewing, all good things that add to the masterful art of the film, I simply was uninspired. Sometimes art can be technically correct but not connect. While it clearly connected with many, it didn't with me or my wife. She somewhat strongly disliked it. Expand
  55. JoeK.Jr.
    Jan 22, 2007
    An absolute masterpiece. Incorporates almost every genre of cinema. I am usually a very serious person who only cries and laughs when needed; but, I cried during this movie and so did everyone in the theater with me. Deserves an oscar for best picture of the year!!!
  56. TylerZ.
    Jan 22, 2007
    When I saw Guillermo del Toro directed this film, I already knew it was going to be good and I set my expectations high, they werent disapointed. This fairy tale for adults mixes in real monsters with fantasy ones and doesnt coddle you. It weaves in and out between the protagonists fantasies and reality. This movie is epic literally and figuratively, the Alice in Wonderland of the 21st century.
  57. Jreb
    Jan 22, 2007
    The theatre was packed when I went to see this movie so I was in the second row and found it very hard to see what was going on and reading the subtitles was very hard. Overall it was a good movie, but has been misadvertised and overrated. Worth seeing though, as it was engaging, beautiful, and original. In fact it was one of the most original movies ive seen in a long time.
  58. Cah
    Jan 22, 2007
    thought-provoking, mystifying, spell-binding, intelligent, unexpected, deft, acute; a brilliant exposition of the blurring of our perceptions of what is real, what is intolerable,on what must be tolerated precisely because it is real, and what realms lie beyond ordinary perception. a deeply engaging film.
  59. Tal
    Jan 22, 2007
    Its so blatantly obvious that people who gave this movie bad reviews came into it with terrible preconceptions or biases about it. Stop reading reviews, and just go see the movie. Movie critics aren't so ridiculous to give a movie this much praise without some true merit. Go see it, and judge for yourself.
  60. AllistairP.
    Jan 23, 2007
    Lots of things I liked about it, in fact there was something interesting visually or story wise every minute. Yet it never came together like I would have hoped. Still a great film, just wish it's story pulled some things together a bit better and focused a little more on one thing and not 3.
  61. AriB
    Jan 23, 2007
    I went to see this movie expecting a complete fantasy story, but I was pleasantly surprised by this briliant masterpiece. I don't think I've seen a movie truly as great as this; an original story with such intensity that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time..and the contrast between the innocence of a child and the brutality of war had me deeply moved.
  62. T.J.
    Jan 24, 2007
    The film is amazing looking and imaginative. The young girl is a terrific actress. But, I still think the film lacks subtlety. It's a comic book world of extreme violence and brutal fascism on one side and innocence and imagination on the other. Life exists in the gray areas and so does great cinema. Is it really all that brave or interesting to show Franco's fascists as brutal The film is amazing looking and imaginative. The young girl is a terrific actress. But, I still think the film lacks subtlety. It's a comic book world of extreme violence and brutal fascism on one side and innocence and imagination on the other. Life exists in the gray areas and so does great cinema. Is it really all that brave or interesting to show Franco's fascists as brutal and the rebels as valiant? Surely there's a deeper story here. But, very well acted and imaginative. Expand
  63. DannN.
    Jan 25, 2007
    Awesome film. A wonderfully conceived fairytale too grusome for children. Perhaps that's del Toro's design. To make a fantasy that recreates the childlike horrors and triumphs of traditional fairy tales, but for adult sensibilities. Whether that goal was his intent or not...it worked. And wondrously so. (One small flaw: the reason the faun gives for coming back and allowing the Awesome film. A wonderfully conceived fairytale too grusome for children. Perhaps that's del Toro's design. To make a fantasy that recreates the childlike horrors and triumphs of traditional fairy tales, but for adult sensibilities. Whether that goal was his intent or not...it worked. And wondrously so. (One small flaw: the reason the faun gives for coming back and allowing the young girl a second chance is weak. That could have been fixed. Oh, well.) Expand
  64. KeithJ
    Oct 26, 2007
    Possibly the best movie I've ever seen. It's this or Casablanca. I guess the critics thought they were seeing either The Ferryman or Alice In Wonderland. Next time, read some previews first.
  65. AaronM
    Jan 26, 2007
    This movie is thought provoking and well made, not to mention that the fantasy parts of it are sweet, and the war scenes are extremely exciting. This movie is so original.
  66. JoanneK.
    Jan 27, 2007
    Grisly, at times impossible to watch, sad, lnspiring, amazing. I will definitely see it again - noiw that I know I can stand the brutality, I hope to be able to focus on all those metapphors and allusions. I Icould not stop thinking about this movie. Yes, I dreamed abouit it last night.
  67. ChrisK.
    Jan 27, 2007
    The people bashing this movie celarly didn't understand the film. It is a transcendant beautiful film, one that I feel privaleged to have seen. Beautiful acting, an aching story, this is THE definitive film of '06
  68. ReidF.
    Jan 27, 2007
    This is definitely not a fantasy film. It is a very dark, bloody, gory, and violent film about war and tyranny that includes some elements of fantasy. It can best be described as gritty surrealism. It is also an excellent movie, directed in Spanish by Guillermo del Toro, with superb visual technique and a well-developed story taking place after the Spanish Civil War. In my opinion, there This is definitely not a fantasy film. It is a very dark, bloody, gory, and violent film about war and tyranny that includes some elements of fantasy. It can best be described as gritty surrealism. It is also an excellent movie, directed in Spanish by Guillermo del Toro, with superb visual technique and a well-developed story taking place after the Spanish Civil War. In my opinion, there are too many unexplained plot devices and dangling characters, and the ending feels tacked on like an old episode of Expand
  69. ChrisH.
    Jan 27, 2007
    This movie is really about how a girl dissociated from the real world to a fantasy/dream world, in my opinion. So, to be honest, I didn't care for it as much as I wanted to. (And I really wanted to.) I think part of it is that it really cheats the fantasy side of the movie, almost to be the equivalent of something like Donnie Darko, although just barely. Yes, it is beautiful, and the This movie is really about how a girl dissociated from the real world to a fantasy/dream world, in my opinion. So, to be honest, I didn't care for it as much as I wanted to. (And I really wanted to.) I think part of it is that it really cheats the fantasy side of the movie, almost to be the equivalent of something like Donnie Darko, although just barely. Yes, it is beautiful, and the acting is very good, save the small girl, who's practically aimless. While it attempts to tie in the fantasy aspects with the real world, it more or less confuses the audience so that, at the end of the movie, you're left feeling, "So what?" It's not bad, but don't be surprised if it's not what you thought it would be. Expand
  70. Chayes
    Jan 28, 2007
    It's an overal good movie, but like most people after watching this movie, I was expecting more "fantasy" scences. I don't agree with the 98 rating it's receiving here, although don't get me wrong it's a good flick all-in-all.
  71. Sidewinder572
    Jan 28, 2007
    A supposed twenty plus minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival, already in the top one hundred at the Internet Movie Data Base, every major film critic and their mothers are giving this film the highest possible praise. Naturally I went in hoping for the best and at same time expecting the worst. How can a film with this much praise possibly live up to the hype? Well it does, A supposed twenty plus minute standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival, already in the top one hundred at the Internet Movie Data Base, every major film critic and their mothers are giving this film the highest possible praise. Naturally I went in hoping for the best and at same time expecting the worst. How can a film with this much praise possibly live up to the hype? Well it does, and then some. El Laberinto del Fauno is the latest film by director Guerillmo Del Toro. It is easily his best work to date. Although I am basing this view having only seen two of his other films (Blade 2 and Hellboy). Those films were entertaining popcorn films. This however is something else all together. El Laberinto del Fauno tells the story of Ofelia (Ivana Baquero) is goes with her pregnant mother (Ariadna Gil) to live with step-father (Sergi López) who is a Captain fighting with the Nationalists at the time of the Spanish Civil War. The film takes place immediately after the war, when small pockets of Loyalists continue fighting the Nationalists. (For more info on the Spanish Civil War read a book) El Laberinto del Fauno however is not a film about the Spanish Civil War. It is a fairy tale and a dark one at that. Where this movie succeeds is that the lines between fantasy and reality are completely blurred and never once to the things happening in the fantasy world contradict those things going on in reality. Ofelia escapes into a fairy tale in order to escape the horrors around her. There are fairies, monsters, and a faun (Doug Jones) that sends her on various tasks. I won Expand
  72. UnaiM
    Jan 29, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant
  73. SusanF.
    Feb 11, 2007
    I was left in awe....this is one of the best movies I have seen. Never once did I check my watch. I was caught up in this bizarre, terrifying, magical, all too real story from the first seconds to the final frame. Bravo to all involved with this film!
  74. AshC
    Feb 11, 2007
    Anybody who has seen this movie doesn't need me to further extol its virtues. I am merely posting to laugh at the contrary so-and-so's who have decided to slate the film, for no reason other than to make a scene! These are the same people who say that they don't like The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption and Singing In The Rain. Come on, stop lying to yourselves. Anybody who has seen this movie doesn't need me to further extol its virtues. I am merely posting to laugh at the contrary so-and-so's who have decided to slate the film, for no reason other than to make a scene! These are the same people who say that they don't like The Godfather, The Shawshank Redemption and Singing In The Rain. Come on, stop lying to yourselves. Pan's Labyrinth was an unarguable masterpiece, convincing and enchanting on a number of levels, in a world where most films released fail to do so on one. Collapse
  75. MATHIASMoschel
    Feb 13, 2007
    I have never ever thought I might be writing an opinion regarding a movie on a website but this one left me looking all over the net for more information about it. The soundtrack is running all day long on my computer and I already went seeing it twice. "Hauntingly beautiful" and "magic realism" is what some say and I totally agree. It seems that the more you see it, the better it gets. I have never ever thought I might be writing an opinion regarding a movie on a website but this one left me looking all over the net for more information about it. The soundtrack is running all day long on my computer and I already went seeing it twice. "Hauntingly beautiful" and "magic realism" is what some say and I totally agree. It seems that the more you see it, the better it gets. Certainly the best movie I have ever seen. Expand
  76. AmarB.
    Feb 15, 2007
    Restores my faith in the power of filmmaking to transcend the quotidian. It takes us to places we could never have imagined. There is hope after all. Easily the best movie of year.
  77. Sam
    Feb 18, 2007
    P.L. was indeed very gory. While I was walking out, some people thought was not needed, which I have to disagree with. Let me say that I'm usually not all that affected by the common movies violence, but P.L. had a unique twist that actaully made me aware of how horrible it trully was. So I have to give props, not many movies can do that for me. The movies fantasy attribute was very P.L. was indeed very gory. While I was walking out, some people thought was not needed, which I have to disagree with. Let me say that I'm usually not all that affected by the common movies violence, but P.L. had a unique twist that actaully made me aware of how horrible it trully was. So I have to give props, not many movies can do that for me. The movies fantasy attribute was very unique and eye opening, while the horror and suspense made a true villian. I loved it! Expand
  78. B.F.
    Feb 18, 2007
    Quite simply, one of the most imaginative and original movies I've seen in a long time. Instantly one of favorite movies ever. It's executed almost perfectly on every level.
  79. ScottJ.
    Feb 18, 2007
    Certainly not for kids, but clearly one of the better movies in years.
  80. AnonymousMC
    Feb 22, 2007
    I'd call it beautiful, but everyone'scalling it that, and it's so much more than just eye candy. I really can't find anything wrong with this film at all. It's... well, it just is. I saw it about a month ago, and I'm still in awe. Guillermo del Torro has made cinema an art again in a business dominated by exploitation (Babel) and Oscar bait (The Queen). II'd call it beautiful, but everyone'scalling it that, and it's so much more than just eye candy. I really can't find anything wrong with this film at all. It's... well, it just is. I saw it about a month ago, and I'm still in awe. Guillermo del Torro has made cinema an art again in a business dominated by exploitation (Babel) and Oscar bait (The Queen). I can't imagine this movie being topped any time soon, maybe only by del Torro's next serious project (not Hellboy 2, even though I can't wait for its release). Expand
  81. MasterX
    Feb 22, 2007
    I cant belive What I am reading from your people. TOO MUCH VIOLENCE? you guys are weak stuff. go watch the Cat in the hat or something. If you want to see a movie with fair amount of violence go watch the departed. Oh this was a good movie by the way.
  82. JoseG.
    Feb 26, 2007
    When I went out to watch this movie I had nothing but low expectations for it, once I got in that theatre, I never wanted to leave. I swear here was never such a movie that caught my attention just like Pan's Labryrinth, I'm so glad I came across this movie.
  83. StephenR.
    Feb 26, 2007
    This movie made me clutch my breath in suspense, gasp in beauty, recoil in horror, and cry in joy. Great cinematography and amazing transitions back and forth between fantasy and reality. There are spiritual undertones throughout, especially in the parable of the rose surrounded by thorns. Thank you, Guillermo, for a masterpiece!
  84. JasonJ.
    Feb 28, 2007
    98/100? I don't think so. It's a good try at something new, and maybe that in itself deserves a lot of praise. The first half of the film is far too slow to deserve such a high score. I found myself wanting to leave the theater by the second half, but the story began to speed up a bit so I stayed. The allegory is a bit too peice-meal. The monsters were neat, but where did they 98/100? I don't think so. It's a good try at something new, and maybe that in itself deserves a lot of praise. The first half of the film is far too slow to deserve such a high score. I found myself wanting to leave the theater by the second half, but the story began to speed up a bit so I stayed. The allegory is a bit too peice-meal. The monsters were neat, but where did they come from? Kudos on being set in Franco-era Spain; it was definitely a good start. Keep the new ideas flowing. Spiderman 3? Give me a break. How much further can our culture fall? Expand
  85. BrutusO.
    Mar 11, 2007
    I have to agree with those who are scratching their head about the accolades for this. I enjoyed it and was moved by the downbeat ending, I thought it was very well acted by the little girl, and I particularly liked the European sensibility of the fantasy sequences - but I do not get why it is getting the reviews it is. This sort of dark fantasy has been done before (Mirrormask being I have to agree with those who are scratching their head about the accolades for this. I enjoyed it and was moved by the downbeat ending, I thought it was very well acted by the little girl, and I particularly liked the European sensibility of the fantasy sequences - but I do not get why it is getting the reviews it is. This sort of dark fantasy has been done before (Mirrormask being another recent example) and generally gets ignored by the wider audience. I hesitate to say it, but one really has to wonder if the accolades somehow reflect the growing American fascination with, and apparent approval for, sadistic torture sequences in their cinema and TV shows. This film has more than a few gratuitous mutilations by the Spanish fascists, which didn't particularly upset or enthrall me, but which seems to exert a perverse fascination for many others. A bit of a worry. Good soundtrack though. Expand
  86. BuddhaB.
    Mar 14, 2007
    From selfish motivations to altruistic sacrifice, Pan's Labyrinth retells the story of the moral choices which will always be central to the human condition. While this type of morality play has been a recurring theme in the cinematic arts, Del Toro's vision exceeds many prior attempts to "visulaize" human emtions, temptations, heroic actions and egocentric evil. The violent From selfish motivations to altruistic sacrifice, Pan's Labyrinth retells the story of the moral choices which will always be central to the human condition. While this type of morality play has been a recurring theme in the cinematic arts, Del Toro's vision exceeds many prior attempts to "visulaize" human emtions, temptations, heroic actions and egocentric evil. The violent acts of the "real" world juxtaposed with the fantasy life of the heroine imbues the film with a growing tension resulting in the final redemptive climax. Beautiful cinematography completes the masterful effort. Expand
  87. AndresZ.
    Mar 19, 2007
    Guillermo Del Toro has proven more than his hidden facade of indispensable magic; he has created a world to escape to. For the first, and maybe the only time this year, the viewer is in a world of cinema that is unpredictable from the start. He neither knows a good ending from a bad ending, and quite frankly it hardly even matters. What the viewer perceives is more than just a remarkable Guillermo Del Toro has proven more than his hidden facade of indispensable magic; he has created a world to escape to. For the first, and maybe the only time this year, the viewer is in a world of cinema that is unpredictable from the start. He neither knows a good ending from a bad ending, and quite frankly it hardly even matters. What the viewer perceives is more than just a remarkable story. It's an illustrious work of magic made for a must-viewing. And in the end, after Ofelia's last task is done, and the masterful score lay in the background, one can't help but think: Could the film be meant for something else? Of course it is, for it is a clear and thought out political allegory. But even by viewing the film at diverse standpoints, in the end it really comes down to the real truth: The film is nothing short of a true and simple work of art. Expand
  88. EricC.
    Mar 26, 2007
    Let me just start by tackling all the people trying, idiotically, to bash this movie. None of you, not one, have given a decent reason. Someone wrote that it had a shallow script just about doing three tasks and becoming a princess. Are you really that dumb? I'd tell you to go watch the film again and try harder, but you don't deserve to. You just stick to Norbit and Ghost Let me just start by tackling all the people trying, idiotically, to bash this movie. None of you, not one, have given a decent reason. Someone wrote that it had a shallow script just about doing three tasks and becoming a princess. Are you really that dumb? I'd tell you to go watch the film again and try harder, but you don't deserve to. You just stick to Norbit and Ghost Rider. You might just grasp those. Someone else called it exploitive. Don't throw around words you don't understand. Go look it up first. Babel is exploitive. 24 is exploitive. This isn't. The violance and horror is exaggerated for a reason, for those of you who thought it was pointless. It was a horrible world then, and it's a horrible world today. Seriously, try making the connections. What are the fascists today? The rebels? del Toro wasn't being complicated on this point. This movie was mindblowing, visually and story-wise. The "little fairytale" is only a tiny part of the trajedy and joy in this movie. There's a reason why it's one of the best reviewed movies of all time. If you're too shallow to fully experience it, then really, I don't care. Most people actually are. I don't have a clue what Gillermo del Toro is doing after Hellboy 2 (yes, he actually has fun with his career), but if it gets anywhere close to what this movie was, I can't wait to be amazed (I know it sounds cheesy, leave me alone). Expand
  89. MicheleC.
    Apr 16, 2007
    I don't know how to describe it exactly, but something intangible was missing in Pan's Labyrinth. It had no soul. I felt beaten and battered by the time the movie ended. My friend and I sat in shock as we watched the film credits. The bloodshed and violence were gratuitous and pointless. This is the first movie we didn't discuss afterward, nor will we ever watch it again. I I don't know how to describe it exactly, but something intangible was missing in Pan's Labyrinth. It had no soul. I felt beaten and battered by the time the movie ended. My friend and I sat in shock as we watched the film credits. The bloodshed and violence were gratuitous and pointless. This is the first movie we didn't discuss afterward, nor will we ever watch it again. I was really disappointed. I can't fathom why critics praised this depressing horror story. Expand
  90. BelleA-S
    Apr 29, 2007
    I know I like something if I wake up in the morning and I still think about it. Such is what happened today after I watched this movie last night. See, I'm even writing a review on it! What I love about it is that I haven't seen anything like it before. Throughout the movie I was thinking if the story of Princess Moanna is a traditional fairy tale much like the Grimm's are. I know I like something if I wake up in the morning and I still think about it. Such is what happened today after I watched this movie last night. See, I'm even writing a review on it! What I love about it is that I haven't seen anything like it before. Throughout the movie I was thinking if the story of Princess Moanna is a traditional fairy tale much like the Grimm's are. I still don't know now. While watching though I did see flashes of similarities to Alice in Wonderland, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and White Flower The Devil's Daughter. So the story may not be entirely original --- that's why I give it a 9 --- but the execution of the movie is perfect and I am still mesmerized the morning after. That's what makes it a great movie! Better than Babel or The Departed or all those movies with Academy Award mentions. I will watch it again today. Expand
  91. KHenderson
    May 15, 2007
    There's several moments in the imaginative film when the screenplay has to manipulate events in an implausible way in order for the film to have sequence of events it wants. And the ending if one really thinks about it, has an obvious problem that renders it nonsensical. It surprised me that so many critics werent observing the events in the film carefully enough to see these plot There's several moments in the imaginative film when the screenplay has to manipulate events in an implausible way in order for the film to have sequence of events it wants. And the ending if one really thinks about it, has an obvious problem that renders it nonsensical. It surprised me that so many critics werent observing the events in the film carefully enough to see these plot holes. A great film but quite imperfect too. Expand
  92. DanielMoreno
    May 18, 2007
    Astounding imagery and cinematography
  93. ChrisG.
    May 21, 2007
    Movies with this high of a rating from so many critics need to be able to appeal to viewers who are not fans of the genre. Star Wars and LOTR are examples of this. Pan's Labyrinth falls short in too many areas. Not a horrible film, but certainly not worthy of the hype.
  94. CriticsR.
    May 22, 2007
    Beautiful atmosphere. Touching story. There was some gratuitous yuckiness, but other than that, this movie was awesome.
  95. HollyC.
    May 24, 2007
    Easily one of the best 'fairy tales' ever put to film. And in the true sense of the old-time allegorical 'fairy tale', not the Disney kid-friendly stuff of today. Del Toro's depth in this allegory/story is quite complex, though even if you're not familiar with Franco's Spain during WWII, the story is still profound & relevant. What a great film.
  96. CarmineT.
    May 28, 2007
    Mythic, political and visually stunning. Well crafted with something to say at many levels of the human experience.
  97. DavidH
    May 28, 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth is a dark fairy tale much in the vein of a Grimm Brothers or H.C Andersen story (pre 19th-20th century 'happy ending' rewritings) Not suitable for children, the story is set in franco spain, and much of the story is allegorical, and in parts this tale is also very brutal. It is, in many ways, an adults only film.
    So why the low score? Well after watching the
    So why the low score? Well after watching the film, and reading the reviews, I began to wonder whether the amazingly high rating was in fact due to americans incredulity that a film can even be made outside of hollywood. I was also slightly worried that it gains an extra 20-30 points (or 2-3 marks) simply because the critic wishes to appear cultured. Is there anything intrinsically wrong with Pan's Labyrinth? No. But there are stories better told, and movies better shot. If you watch pans labyrinth, you won't go away particularly disappointed. If you watch pans labyrinth based on the reviews on this site, you will go away feeling empty, as this film is average at best
  98. WinstonA.
    May 29, 2007
    One of the bet films I've ever seen. It touched me on many levels and left me gagging for more.
  99. BrandonB.
    Jun 13, 2007
    Enchanting, frightening, and an overall achievement in movie making.
  100. JosephM.
    Jun 19, 2007
    This is an amazing movie that is a solemn retreat.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.