8.5

1. Feb 4, 2015
    wonderful movie and one of the great fantasy movies of all times.
    it shows us borders between fantasy and real, between children's world and adult's world.
  2. Jan 13, 2015
    I have long felt this was Del Toro at his best. If you happen to be bi-lingual you would notice that the Spanish version offers a bit more depth and meaning to each scene. It can't be helped really, all translations lose a little something. Nonetheless, Pan and Ofelia found a way into my own dreams, or nightmares? You can't help but respect this film.
  3. Nov 11, 2014
    BEST MOVIE EVER. this movie is just perfect it has a great blend of drama and syfy/fantasy really a masterpiece that everyone should see at some point in their lives.
  4. Oct 30, 2014
    A young girl (Ofelia) travels with her mother to live with her new step father, a cruel encampment captain, in a rural area of Northern Spain towards the end of World War II. On her way there Ofelia learns of the story of a Princess that ran away from her kingdom only to be killed. Her father vowed he would wait for her return as long as breath still flowed through his body. Upon herA young girl (Ofelia) travels with her mother to live with her new step father, a cruel encampment captain, in a rural area of Northern Spain towards the end of World War II. On her way there Ofelia learns of the story of a Princess that ran away from her kingdom only to be killed. Her father vowed he would wait for her return as long as breath still flowed through his body. Upon her arrival, Ofelia is visited by fantastical creatures urging her to claim her rightful crown as the missing Princess, a process that sends her on a journey that provides an escape from the horrific real world events all around her.

Pan's Labyrinth is a dark movie with most scenes set in the brutal, and very real world, of the Spanish encampment that sees some shocking moments of violence. Sergi Lopez plays the Spanish captain to perfection making the events seem all the more real and horrifying. The visual effects of the fantasy world are simply stunning, providing an excellent contrast to the real world in which Ofelia lives and making her decisions all the more understandable.

Where Pan's Labyrinth really succeeds though is in allowing the audience to make up their own mind about what is real and what is not. Talk to a selection of people who have watched the movie and each will have their own take on events, all of which are plausible when watching the film for a second time.
  5. Oct 10, 2014
    It's pretty understandable to seem why Pan's Labyrinth might seem overhyped (let's be real, a metascore of 98 is a little ridiculous), but, honestly, it's one of the few movies I'd consider deserving of it. Not only is it one of the most beautifully and painstakingly crafted films in recent memory (and all on a budget of only $19 million too, which is pretty impressive considering the sizeIt's pretty understandable to seem why Pan's Labyrinth might seem overhyped (let's be real, a metascore of 98 is a little ridiculous), but, honestly, it's one of the few movies I'd consider deserving of it. Not only is it one of the most beautifully and painstakingly crafted films in recent memory (and all on a budget of only $19 million too, which is pretty impressive considering the size of a lot of movie budgets these days), but the writing manages to seamlessly blend a dark fairytale (that doesn't lose its sense of childhood wonder and mystery) with the searing drama of the Spanish Civil War. Everyone's acting is up to the task too, even the 11 year old's. Expand
  6. Sep 28, 2014
    A stunning and dark fairy-tale movie. It's deep, moving, and filled with symbolism. It's a treat for the eyes with gorgeous effects and creatures that just look real. It's a mix of a fantasy and a war movie with touches of horror. It's overall just a work of art that can appeal to audiences of all ages, although due to some mature content and potentially frightening images it is probablyA stunning and dark fairy-tale movie. It's deep, moving, and filled with symbolism. It's a treat for the eyes with gorgeous effects and creatures that just look real. It's a mix of a fantasy and a war movie with touches of horror. It's overall just a work of art that can appeal to audiences of all ages, although due to some mature content and potentially frightening images it is probably better left to the older ones. Del Toro created a masterpiece, one that should be at the top of your must-watch list. It is one that will stick with you long after watching. Expand
  7. Sep 14, 2014
    Del Toro is one of the few directors currently out there with the sort of unique vision that Kubrick or Lucas (forget the dialogue...think of the how far Star Wars was ahead of it's time in '77) had...Pan's Labyrinth is well deserving of it's 98...
  8. Aug 30, 2014
    It is, in my humble opinion, perfect from start to finish, a visionary, thrilling, moving, completely unique film-watching experience. I love this movie.
  9. Jun 13, 2014
    Damn, this was a really good film. Visually stunning, Guillermo del Toro has crafted a marvelous film here. The visual effects are to perfection and brilliantly done. The sheer beauty of the film is amazing. The cinematography, the themes, the visual effects, are all ravishing. In addition, the thrills, the darkness, the terror, all work extremely well and have the desired effect on theDamn, this was a really good film. Visually stunning, Guillermo del Toro has crafted a marvelous film here. The visual effects are to perfection and brilliantly done. The sheer beauty of the film is amazing. The cinematography, the themes, the visual effects, are all ravishing. In addition, the thrills, the darkness, the terror, all work extremely well and have the desired effect on the audience. This one is truly magical to watch and really keeps you on the edge of your seat as you watch the events unfold. The comparisons It is truly impossible to not like this film. The combination of the fantasy elements with the war elements are very well done as well and both only serve to further one another. While the film is undeniably about the fantasy element, it would be nothing without the war element. Not a minute of the film was wasted.

On the negative, I only have one thing, but it is a big thing for me that turned me off at times. The violence was over the top, it was far too graphic for my liking. I can connect the dots as to what is about to happen without having to see it happen. Most films do not commit this sin, but sadly, this one does. I still love the film, but I cannot give it a higher rating for that reason.
  10. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Master-peace is really the only way to describe Pan's Labyrinth, what the film does with a simple premise is amazing, it basically reinvents the fairy tale genre by adding Darker, more realistic, circumstances to the situation presented by the film, Believable yet still feeling very Fictional, a fine blend between the two. Del Toro has really out done himself and you can see how much passion and work went into the project throughout chemistry between characters, the dialog, the amazing setting and visuals, every scene takes you by the hand and guides you through this fantastic film giving every little device detail and personality.

Watch the Film, it will win you other, truly the only way to watch this film is Subbed, if it is ever remade in English the simple structure, charm and beauty within the movie will be violated.

10/10: Master-peace
  11. Apr 14, 2014
    Few movies shock me like Del Toro's masterpiece "Pan's Labyrinth". This is a movie which manages to present an original and brilliantly written fantasy world with some fantastic characters. I don't even know what should I talk about next: the beautiful cinematography or the amazing soundtrack. Well, let's start with the one that pleases our eyes: this movie looks beautiful with every frameFew movies shock me like Del Toro's masterpiece "Pan's Labyrinth". This is a movie which manages to present an original and brilliantly written fantasy world with some fantastic characters. I don't even know what should I talk about next: the beautiful cinematography or the amazing soundtrack. Well, let's start with the one that pleases our eyes: this movie looks beautiful with every frame being dominated by a certain color, more than a simple film grain. But our ears aren't ignored either, the soundtrack being mesmerizing and epic. These two elements combined create an amazing body of art which make the movie looking like a dystopian fantasy painting. So, these two elements are great, but the script it's what sends this movie into a class of its own. This is not just another fantasy picture, this is a deeply emotional and thrilling battle between the cruel reality which is Fascist Spain and the beautiful world of fantasy. Yes, I said beautiful, because through all the grotesque imaging of the fantasy world, it is more beautiful in the end because of the power of human emotion which surpass all the evil.

In the end, I think this movie's greatest achievement it's that it managed to show us that there it's beauty in the dissonance, and it managed this through its artful cinematography and soundtrack, and, of course. through the sheer originality and complexity of the script.
  12. Apr 3, 2014
    This movie blew my mind. Filled with a moving story and amazing visuals, Guillermo del Toro crafted his best movie to date. Be careful: it's not at all a kids movie.
  13. Jan 31, 2014
    During and after for a while, I didn't know how to think of this movie to be a masterpiece. But as one of my early mature film experiences, it took a day;s venture to discover that Pan's Labyrinth is the most unforgettably harmonious and well-contrasted and magical piece of cinematic film I've ever seen. Just my style, just my kind.
  14. Jan 24, 2014
    ''Stunning.'' Inventive.'' ''A Masterpiece and nearly the greatest film ever made..'' In misery there can be beauty... In death there can be life..In simplicity, there can be Greatness... Pan's Labyrinth will fires your nerve.
  15. Jan 11, 2014
    Pan's Labyrinth is one of those movies whose sound and look is so distinctive that you instantly recognize it. Guillermo del Toro combines great storytelling and elements of fantasy to create a surging plot which succeeds in capturing our imagination, mood and emotions.

We follow two story lines. The one rooted in reality is about a secluded small town ruled by a despotic captain tasked with wiping out the remnants of the resistance which has taken shelter in the surrounding jungles. The other one is about a young girl, Ofelia, who is forced to accept the captain as her stepfather. She is fond of fairy tales which she carries everywhere. Whether the faun promising her passage to the virtually perfect world is an escapist fantasy of hers or not is left up to the viewer to decide.

Del Toro relies chiefly on score, voice-over and narration to create momentum. The editing was successful in keeping the audience eyeing every dialogue. The fact that the majority must have been following subtitles for the entire length of the movie did not lessen the effect the film has on you, but on the contrary created a world that was mesmerizing.

The movie is set in Francoist Spain. The art direction painted a vivid picture of the 1940s through depicting the buildings, cars and costumes of that era. We also get to witness some of the lifestyle of the time. The faun creature, who gives Ofelia tasks to complete in order to gain entrance into the Underground Realm was a particularly unique creation. The work done deserved the Oscar it received.

Frequently the story transitions into the fantasy part. We learn about the lost princess, who Ofelia thinks is herself. The pregnancy of Ofelia's mother is a major concern throughout the movie. It is feared that there's an informer for the rebels inside the camp, of whose identity Ofelia comes to learn of.

The captain is a megalomaniac who insults people with his every breath and is bent on destroying the insurgency. Despite proof of his madness, Del Toro resists the temptation of painting him as an irredeemable person. He shows leniency now and then, and on one occasion hints that loyalty to him would have worked out better for a certain character. He is a man built for conflict, and actively seeks it. He always carries a watch on him which ticks loudly to keep him on schedule, even in the middle of gunfights. He is also fond of torturing captured people.

The action sequences were well drawn and made what was happening clear. Light is used to control mood. The score is poignant and memorable and haunting. The visual effects creates the creatures of this fantasy world which rivals any done by the mainstream Hollywood. A lot of this creativity went into showing how people were killed.

The pace picks up during the second half. The resistance becomes bolder and gets reinforcements. There were a few scenes of cathartic killing and blood-letting. And we also learn the final fate of the main characters.

Despite the fact that the fantasy element has a marginal effect on the progress of the story, the movie becomes something special with its inclusion. The contrast between a child's wish to be somewhere safe where she would be loved and the skirmishes between the government troops and the rebels finally makes the message very clear in the end.
  16. Oct 25, 2013
    With incredible visual effects and a superb collection of actors, 'Pan's Labyrinth', despite being a fantasy film, is emotionally raw, dark, and real. Despite its fairy tale-like imaginary properties, the film is heart-breaking and puts its protagonist through a distressing (and at times disturbing) adventure leading up to its tragic conclusion that will resonate with its viewers longWith incredible visual effects and a superb collection of actors, 'Pan's Labyrinth', despite being a fantasy film, is emotionally raw, dark, and real. Despite its fairy tale-like imaginary properties, the film is heart-breaking and puts its protagonist through a distressing (and at times disturbing) adventure leading up to its tragic conclusion that will resonate with its viewers long after its closing credits pass. Expand
  17. Sep 19, 2013
    if you said this movie was bad or average I will say why do you see movies
    visuals are top notch every thing involving the film is top notch. the score,cinematography, the performance especially segi Lopez
  18. Aug 13, 2013
    Marvelous to the deep core, 'Pan's Labyrinth' is s astounding, so fantastic, that one must wonder how Guillermo del Toro came about some of the instances in the film.
  19. Jul 21, 2013
    Una película espectacular, divertida, reflexiva, entretenida.
    Es grandiosa de principio a fin. Sin duda de lo mejor que he visto en mi vida y la mejor pelicula que ha hecho Guillermo
  20. Jul 9, 2013
    It would be an understatement to say that this movie is even somewhat enjoyable. It is without a doubt one of the greatest fantasy films I have ever seen.
    Guillermo del Toro has knocked this gem out of the park with amazingly horrific visuals, fantastic performances, outstanding intricacy all surrounded around a beautifully intelligent script.
    If you are looking for a darker, maturer
    If you are looking for a darker, maturer version of Alice in Wonderland, I couldn't recommend this film more strongly. This is the Citizen Kane of the fantasy genre. Check it out and experience the awe and enchantment of Pan's Labyrinth!
  21. Jul 3, 2013
    A magnificent achievement that breaks through barriers of foreign language films. Intensely and delicately directed film that leaves quite an impression. A beautiful story that excels on all levels.
  22. Jun 6, 2013
    great. This movie shows the pain and tragedy of war.
    i can't enlish. so i can't write a reaview in english. but. this movie great i know it
  23. May 14, 2013
    It's like a fairy tale a brutal fairy tale.
    The characters, the costumes, the makeup, the amazing but sad story a really great fantasy highlight!
  24. Apr 22, 2013
    This is the most dark and brutal fantasy film I ever saw, even better than Sleeping Hollow. Amazing movie, I was chained to monitor from beginning to the end. Incredible precision and attention to details. Watch this if you dare.
  25. Apr 7, 2013
    Six years since I first saw this but the imagery still burns in my mind. I always avoided subtitled films but this movie changed everything for me. Breathtaking, horrific, hypnotic..you cannot turn away. You can't discern where reality ends and fantasy begins. Del Toro blends it all into a terrifying, visceral nightmare. All you can do is ride it out to the bittersweet finale. I cannotSix years since I first saw this but the imagery still burns in my mind. I always avoided subtitled films but this movie changed everything for me. Breathtaking, horrific, hypnotic..you cannot turn away. You can't discern where reality ends and fantasy begins. Del Toro blends it all into a terrifying, visceral nightmare. All you can do is ride it out to the bittersweet finale. I cannot fault this magical, highly original experience. You will not see many films of this calibre in your life. Such a fantastic, haunting, wonderful dream. Expand
  26. Apr 2, 2013
    Bravo Mr Del Toro, Bravo! You have succeeded in creating an engaging, compelling feature, combining fear and fantasy whilst exploring numerous issues including the deterioration of creativity as a result of exterior influences and the horrific impact of War. The acting is superb,Ivana Baquero is brilliant as Ophelia, vulnerable and inquisitive, her performance is frankly, worthy of anBravo Mr Del Toro, Bravo! You have succeeded in creating an engaging, compelling feature, combining fear and fantasy whilst exploring numerous issues including the deterioration of creativity as a result of exterior influences and the horrific impact of War. The acting is superb,Ivana Baquero is brilliant as Ophelia, vulnerable and inquisitive, her performance is frankly, worthy of an Oscar Nomination. Sergi Lopez is also brilliant as Vidal, Del Toro has effectively contrasted the respective natures of the two characters, Ophelia represents youth, creativity and optimism whilst Vidal is callous and violent. Del Toro's greatest success is the creation of Ophelia's alternate dimension. Stunning visual captivate a scene both beautiful and morbid. Del Toro has succeeded again in constructing a brilliant story from a concept that, without exceptional acting, set design, score and screenplay composition would fail to impress. Expand
  27. Mar 31, 2013
    Del Toro has created a dark and enriching film. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while and at the same time be shocked and terrified of the reality she lives in. The result is one of the best fantasy films in a long time.
  28. Feb 18, 2013
    "Pan's Labyrinth" by Guillermo del Toro is a beautiful yet grim film about the fairy-tale-like story of a child set during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo del Toro brings out the wonder of childhood innocence while juxtaposing it to the harsh realities found in desperate times. It is a twisted fairy-tale that is shown aesthetically well and is told through the"Pan's Labyrinth" by Guillermo del Toro is a beautiful yet grim film about the fairy-tale-like story of a child set during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo del Toro brings out the wonder of childhood innocence while juxtaposing it to the harsh realities found in desperate times. It is a twisted fairy-tale that is shown aesthetically well and is told through the imaginative perspective of a child making fantasies to overcome struggles and tragedies. Del Toro's visual masterpiece is both plot and character driven and this combined with its dark themes make it an adult's fairy-tale that is easily toys with your emotions. Lovers of bittersweet endings will truly enjoy this film and even after the film is over; it continues to linger in your mind and may incite even further discussion. Expand
  29. Feb 16, 2013
    Magical is not enough to describe the feeling while watching "Pan's Labyrinth" words can not explain how much wonder this movie contains, it is my favorite movie of all time, exquisite, spectacular, dark, mysterious, sad, thrilling, all in all, in one movie, which is so underrated, twisted, original, horrific, beautiful and the most important word which is not enough...MASTERPIECE!
  30. Feb 8, 2013
    Acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy", "The Devil's Backbone"), creates one of the most exciting and visually stunning adult-themed fables ever. "Pan's Labyrinth" is one of the cinema's great fantasies--rich with darkness and wonder. It's a fairy tale of such potency and grandeur, that it reconnects the adult imagination to our primal thrill, and horror stories that held usAcclaimed director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy", "The Devil's Backbone"), creates one of the most exciting and visually stunning adult-themed fables ever. "Pan's Labyrinth" is one of the cinema's great fantasies--rich with darkness and wonder. It's a fairy tale of such potency and grandeur, that it reconnects the adult imagination to our primal thrill, and horror stories that held us spellbound as children. As gruesome and brutal as it is enchanting and spellbinding--"Pan's Labyrinth" is a movie intended for adults. It is a harsh, uncompromising film--but equally just as beautiful and moving."Pan's Labyrinth" is itself a narrative maze, with multiple stories that branch apart and back together again. This dark fairy tale plays out against the backdrop of Spain in 1944. A monstrous Fascist captain (López) is determined to flush out soldiers of the resistance, as his pregnant wife arrives at his countryside headquarters with her young daughter. The young girl Ofelia (Baquero), escapes the brutality of her new environment by drifting into a fantasy world where she comes across a mysterious faun. The faun tells her that she is a princess from a kingdom in the underground. The faun also tells that her that her father is waiting for her, but she needs to accomplish three challenging and dangerous assignments first. Ofelia's challenges do not arise like arbitrary plot obstacles--they are organic to her (and the movie's) development. She learns not only to follow instructions--and that there are heavy prices to pay for failing to abide by them. But also to trust her own instincts about what is right and wrong. In order to find her true self, she must also find the her inner-strength to break the rules imposed by authority. An individual conscience. What could be a more powerful anti-fascist weapon than that?
    In a dark, harsh, and violent world, Ofelia lives in her magical world trying to survive her tasks and see her father again. Soon, the line between fantasy and reality begins to blur, and before Ofelia can turn back, she finds herself at the center of the ferocious battle between Good and Evil. Incredibly unique fable that blends fantasy and fearsome violence, ultimately merging the two stories together. Superbly realized--a rare film that invites repeated viewings to fully absorb all that writer-director del Toro has put into it. Oscar winner for Cinematography, Makeup, and Art Direction.
  31. Jan 28, 2013
    In my opinion, this movie was so good beacuse it was sad, exiting an at the same time dark, only if there werent so much blood it would be the best movie of 2006
  32. Jan 26, 2013
    Should have been nominated for best picture. It is and continues to be one of my all time favorite movies. It is deeply original in design, and I still have not seen anything quiet like it. The story is heartbreaking as well and I would take this movie over the departed any day of the week.
  33. Jan 5, 2013
    What a fantastic film! A masterful blend of horror, fantasy and drama. Del Toro is a true visionary. The fact that it's in Spanish makes it ten times better.
  34. Dec 19, 2012
    A wonderful journey, though cruel and perverse. The first time I watched it I couldn't but feel overwhelmed by the performances, specially Ofelia and Vidal. The visuals are simply astounding, and the storytelling, captivating. This movie will endure in the hearts and souls of everyone who watched it, whether you love it or hate it.
  35. Dec 7, 2012
    Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy film tailored to adults (think Alice in Wonderland for grown-ups). Del Toro masterfully combines elements of horror and drama to create an almost hybrid fantasy film. The film was brilliantly cast, and almost perfectly acted. For a fantasy film; the acting brought a sense of realism. The major high-point of this film is the story, which was beautifully crafted,Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy film tailored to adults (think Alice in Wonderland for grown-ups). Del Toro masterfully combines elements of horror and drama to create an almost hybrid fantasy film. The film was brilliantly cast, and almost perfectly acted. For a fantasy film; the acting brought a sense of realism. The major high-point of this film is the story, which was beautifully crafted, and thoroughly entertaining. Pan's Labyrinth is an all around amazing fantasy film. Expand
  36. Nov 12, 2012
    Perhaps the greatest fantasy film of all time, Del Toro's labyrinth really cuts to your core. It not only bewilders with wonder and sensation, but also has a warm spirit and quietly dazzles its completely captive audience.
  37. Oct 12, 2012
    This movie moved me deeply in 2006, and hasn't stopped moving me since. The final scene is playing on a perpetual loop in the background of my mind. It is a canonical work of art.
  38. Oct 6, 2012
    One of the most brutal films I have ever seen, not just in actual violence, but in mindset. At the same time, what a sweet, beautiful story, mixing the fantastic with the gritty realism of war. For anyone prepared for horror, excitement and sadness, I recommend it.
  39. Sep 27, 2012
    There are very few films that I would rate 10/10, but this is without a shadow of a doubt one of them. The plot is brilliant, the acting is brilliant, the cinematography is brilliant. This film made me feel so close to certain characters and so angry at others that there were moments I found difficult to watch, but to me that's a sure sign of a brilliant film.

To summarise without

To summarise without spoiling, the film is set in fascist Spain and centres around a young girl who's struggling to live through the horrors of this adult world she's been so unwillingly thrust into. As such, the film almost plays out the two 'sides of the story' seamlessly, so beautifully moulded together that the line between fantasy and reality is blurred. We see the world for what it is and the world for what the young girl makes it out to be, her coping strategy, to put it bluntly. I think Guillermo Del Toro perfectly illustrates the endlessly imaginative vision that children have of the world and its stark contrast with reality is what makes elements of this film so tragic.

A must watch.
  40. May 25, 2012
    A fantastic fantasy film, maybe one of the best. The imagination that is put into this film is just out of this world. The visuals are just amazing. The story is very original and the overall presentation was brilliant. This is just a nearly flawless film that definitely deserved a lot of credit and praise.....
  41. Apr 21, 2012
    Guillermo del Toro creates a contrast between two worlds and a dazzling look at both war and a girl's way of coping with the horrors of her surroundings.
  42. Apr 13, 2012
    This is a real movie. All movies should be like this.
  43. Apr 3, 2012
    Literally the best of them all.
  44. Apr 1, 2012
    A fairy tale mature in it's aproach and dazzling in it's dramatic and visual effect. What is so wonderful about this film is the way the end is done. Under a hollywood production the film would have never ended the way it did.
  45. Feb 4, 2012
    Pan's Labyrinth is imaginative, visually dazzling, magically adventurous, perfectly gruesome along with fantastic performances make this one of the greatest movies ever made and it is perfect for adults. I give this movie 98%.
  46. Jan 15, 2012
    This is why User Reviews can't be take seriously! 106 as of today people gave this movie a negative review? Really! Really! Wow you people are just brain dead mongoloids! Anyone who gives this movie a bad review there credibility is gone forever, yes it's never coming back.
  47. Jan 7, 2012
    Not only is this movie visually stunning, ranging from innocent beauty to gruesome reality, not only does the director, Guillermo Del Toro, perfectly contrast a young girl's fantastic fairy tales with the Captain's brutality in war, Pan's Labyrinth is a moving and even philosophical story of someone trying to cope with the horrors of real life, a fable that transcends time. Probably one ofNot only is this movie visually stunning, ranging from innocent beauty to gruesome reality, not only does the director, Guillermo Del Toro, perfectly contrast a young girl's fantastic fairy tales with the Captain's brutality in war, Pan's Labyrinth is a moving and even philosophical story of someone trying to cope with the horrors of real life, a fable that transcends time. Probably one of the greatest movies ever made. Expand
  48. Dec 18, 2011
    Beautiful, magical, visceral, disturbing. These are only a few words of many that can describe Pan's Labyrinth. By far, it is one of the greatest fantasy films of all time that parallels two stories, one realistic, the other fantastic, and merges them together so that they end with ultimately the same message: Continue to dream and your dream will come true, even if only for yourself andBeautiful, magical, visceral, disturbing. These are only a few words of many that can describe Pan's Labyrinth. By far, it is one of the greatest fantasy films of all time that parallels two stories, one realistic, the other fantastic, and merges them together so that they end with ultimately the same message: Continue to dream and your dream will come true, even if only for yourself and even if only in death. Expand
  49. Nov 17, 2011
    Pan's Labyrinth is a good movie, it is creative, thrilling and entertaining. The dark twist to this movie is very well appreciated. The plot is great and visually dazzling, sure to keep you hooked and the acting is very good too. The creatures in the movie and scary and tense moments are very well played out. There are not really any flaws with the story other than maybe some tiny misstepsPan's Labyrinth is a good movie, it is creative, thrilling and entertaining. The dark twist to this movie is very well appreciated. The plot is great and visually dazzling, sure to keep you hooked and the acting is very good too. The creatures in the movie and scary and tense moments are very well played out. There are not really any flaws with the story other than maybe some tiny missteps but other than that it's good. Overall Pan's Labyrinth is a great movie that presents a great story while bringing much maturity, suspense, and entertainment to the fairy tale. Breakdown of "Pan's Labyrinth": Presentation: 9.7, Plot: 9.5, Acting: 9.8, Dialogue: 9.9, Lasting Apppeal: 9.6. Score: 9.7 out of 10 "Amazing" Expand
  50. Sep 10, 2011
    With gruesome but beautiful visuals by my favorite director Guillermo Del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth" is a deep, profound, and sad fairy tale that appeals to the audience of every age, presenting such maturity into the screen.
  51. Aug 26, 2011
    After seeing Pan's Labyrinth myself I could not find any word good enough to describe this film. It is a feat that only a great deal of originality and talent are capable of.
  52. Aug 25, 2011
    Pan's Labyrinth has been called, on countless occasions, "an adult's fairy tale." Not exactly. It's more like an adult's horribly repressed childhood nightmare. And, boy is that refreshing. It's all the innocence of childhood and imagination gone into the creepiest most horrific places. I enjoyed it.
  53. Apr 20, 2011
    Both haunting and strangely alluring with its stunning atmosphere of fantasy and ominous mystery, the innocence of Pan and the terrifying events that unfold around her in both realms of her life provide a journey for the imagination that is epic, but full of horror and sorrow that is woven into this majestic tale that is a modern classic that will stand the test of time.
  54. Apr 10, 2011
    Like some dark, twisted Wizard of Oz, Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth sets some kind of precedent in not only the fantasy genre but in the entire film industry. The acting, particularly that of Sergi Lopez i Ayats as Colonel Vidal is flawless. The blend of real and unreal is artfully crafted in such a way that any mix with the formula would no doubt detract from the end result.
  55. Mar 20, 2011
    Fantastic movie. The stories of the war and the fairy tale going on in the middle blend very well, and the movie is worth reading (if you don't speak spanish). Very well acted and directed.
  56. Feb 19, 2011
    An absolute masterpiece from Guillermo del Toro. A fairy tale movie for adults, this movie is perfectly done and brilliantly acted. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while at the same time shocked and terrified of the the reality she lives in. Please don't be deterred by the fact that the movie is in Spanish, and you'll have to readAn absolute masterpiece from Guillermo del Toro. A fairy tale movie for adults, this movie is perfectly done and brilliantly acted. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while at the same time shocked and terrified of the the reality she lives in. Please don't be deterred by the fact that the movie is in Spanish, and you'll have to read subtitles. Doing so will cause you to miss out an absolutely incredible film. Expand
  57. Jan 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow people really didnt like this movie... i guess they just didnt get it, the violence is not some sort of sick twisted torture porn, it was to show exactly the world the girl was living in and just how hard it was for her. And for the record I'm not sure what everyones crying about how BAD the violence was in the movie when half the movies out there use so much more and its done just for the sake of it being there. The whole point of the fantasy world was the girls escape from this violence, so now it didnt have to be a mirror image of the war plot, instead it is a look into the mind of the girl and simply from the world she creates for herself we learn more about her as a character. *spoilers in this paragraph* Even though she creates this world she still puts an evil/violent spin on it as she cannot escape it but in her world she overcomes it. Sure she may not survive in the real world, she may not live and there may not be a happy ending in the real world, yet she still holds onto that belief that its possible and that right there gives us so much insight into the character of the girl, that even in her dying moments she still holds tight to this notion that everything is going to be ok... THAT is why we cry at the end of the film, that she, despite all this violence and even her dying she is still able to hold onto that innocence. The plot is very much modernist in so far as it creates a story that is trying to mimic that of real life, modernists were very much into the idea that a story didnt totally have a coherent plot or that it didnt follow the usual rising and following action or have a happy ending as that did not mimic real life. This movie does just that.

The problem is most people get it, some dont, they long for the comfort of the familiar rising and falling where everything is resolved in the end and if it doesnt follow that basic idea, that outline they get upset and storm off claiming its "screwed up" or "twisted" or just simply "stupid".

Though the one thing i can agree on it was marketed wrongly, I bought the movie when it first came out on DVD and expected a fantasy movie just like everyone else.
  58. Oct 9, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pans Labyrinth is a masterpiece of cinematic imagination. If one can't see the good in this film (and at the moment theres a 105 of you) then I commiserate with how you feel about the world. The most uplifting, disturbing, poignant, enchanting and mesmerising fairytale of all time- without doubt in my mind. Guillermo Del Toro is a true master. Expand
  59. Sep 20, 2010
    Dark and twisted, but amazing and fabulous styles evoke not only the young but also the adult. This movie is really great fantasy movie for adults while the others, otherwise, aren't.
  60. Sep 7, 2010
    One of my favorite films of all time. I will admit that the first time I saw Fauno I jumped a bit. Very dark but very appealing. People just hate it because they can't read the subtitles.
  61. Aug 29, 2010
    I don't like all of Metacritics top-rated films, but this one..wow. Probably my favorite film of this decade. Everyone should see this. I love the trials Ophelia is forced to do, and the ending is very entertaining. A great movie to watch a few times. I always say the worse films are the ones you can only see once and you've seen it all. This one can be viewed multiple times and hardlyI don't like all of Metacritics top-rated films, but this one..wow. Probably my favorite film of this decade. Everyone should see this. I love the trials Ophelia is forced to do, and the ending is very entertaining. A great movie to watch a few times. I always say the worse films are the ones you can only see once and you've seen it all. This one can be viewed multiple times and hardly ever gets boring. Expand
  62. JosephP
    Jun 18, 2010
    This movie focuses more on the real world Spanish civil war rather than the fantasy element, although it terrifically interwoven into the plot. For those who complain about the high level of gore, i completely agree but you must realise the Spanish civil war is the 'bloodiest' war to date in human history, and infact the violence is actually tremendously toned down. Unless you This movie focuses more on the real world Spanish civil war rather than the fantasy element, although it terrifically interwoven into the plot. For those who complain about the high level of gore, i completely agree but you must realise the Spanish civil war is the 'bloodiest' war to date in human history, and infact the violence is actually tremendously toned down. Unless you know a bit of Spanish history, I'd recommend you study up before watching this movie, as this is a MUST SEE. If you are a close-minded person or don't like the big bad world, don't watch it and stop littering the score with 0's. Expand
  63. BrianneC
    May 21, 2010
    I just saw this movie for the first time a couple days ago. I've never had the chance to see it and I've wanted to for the past four years. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes horror and fantasy. It has strong elements of both. It's a fantastic movie. So what if it has blood and gore in it and it's a fairy tale? No one ever said it was for kids. I wanted I just saw this movie for the first time a couple days ago. I've never had the chance to see it and I've wanted to for the past four years. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes horror and fantasy. It has strong elements of both. It's a fantastic movie. So what if it has blood and gore in it and it's a fairy tale? No one ever said it was for kids. I wanted to see it when I was 12 and I think I would've been fine with it. This movie is definitely one of my favorites and I completely love it. Expand
  64. ClintM.
    May 19, 2010
    Original and non comprimising in both script and directing. I am not a fantasy/folklore fan and don't care much for Lord of the Rings nor Harry Potter etc but this movie works and stands on its own as unique, beautifully shot and actedanda middle finger to Hollywood. Guillermo's best movie in my opinion.
  65. RyanK.
    May 2, 2010
    This is definitely one of the best movies ever. It is so compelling story-wise and has a lot of meaning behind it.
  66. Jerrod
    Apr 30, 2010
    Absolutely spectacular in its ability to simultaneously dazzle and provide scathing insight into the more sordid nature of the human condition.(In a side note the person who gave this a one for being too gruesome for children, which you claim is the intended audience, this movie is rated R which has never denoted that children should watch).
  67. WIlC.
    Apr 19, 2010
    Absolutely amazing. I still watch it habitually and I am still completely blown away by it every time I watch it.
  68. diego
    Mar 6, 2010
    Awesome!!!! Beautiful!!! Fantastic!!!! This movie helped me erase some memories of the horrid crap I had seen . I love this movie.
  69. BillyC.
    Feb 12, 2010
    Modern fantasy tale - as graphic as any of the old Germanic tales. Visually wonderful - one of the very few movies I'd suggest getting on Blu-Ray (Yes, there is a visible difference in this movie).
  70. gabriel
    Feb 9, 2010
    I thought this movie was fantastic. The acting was superb. I don't understand why people are complaining about the movie being too violent. It was my understanding that war is a bloody horrific thing. Hm. Maybe I'm wrong? Also, In my opinion this movie was about a young girl using her imagination to help her escape and cope with the traumatic situation she was in. I thought it I thought this movie was fantastic. The acting was superb. I don't understand why people are complaining about the movie being too violent. It was my understanding that war is a bloody horrific thing. Hm. Maybe I'm wrong? Also, In my opinion this movie was about a young girl using her imagination to help her escape and cope with the traumatic situation she was in. I thought it made perfect sense that the movie didn't focus that much on the fantasy element, which I saw upset some reviewers. Lastly, in regards to Nathaniel Z.'s comment, Ofelia and Ophelia are both correct. As you should know, names are spelled differently, constantly. Get used to it. And, she was bleeding out of her nose, because it is possible that after she got shot in the stomach that she had internal bleeding. Please, do your own research before criticizing the absolutely dumbest things. Expand
  71. UnaiM
    Jan 7, 2010
    Absolutely brilliant
  72. SandraS
    Jan 6, 2010
    You should know a bit more about the spanish history and u will understand that the movie is not as violent as the true. Its a wonderful way to show us the cruel true.
  73. TiagoF
    Jan 6, 2010
    Brilliant. Magical realism at it's best. Some people don't like it because they expect something else. Others don't like it because they just don't get it. People who now what to expect and can understand this masterpiece will NOT be disappointed.
  74. JRMM
    Jan 3, 2010
    Few movies are perfect: Pan's Labyrinth is one of the perfect ones. Truly one of the greatest fantasy films ever made. Among my top 20 favorite films of all time.
  75. DavidT
    Dec 25, 2009
    This is easily one of my favorite films from the past decade. The war scenes, the fantasy scenes as well as the family dynamics were woven together intricately and the result was an incredible, unforgettable story. The special effects for the fantasy scenes were very good but in no way detracted from the story. There's also plenty of violence but the violence provided the weight This is easily one of my favorite films from the past decade. The war scenes, the fantasy scenes as well as the family dynamics were woven together intricately and the result was an incredible, unforgettable story. The special effects for the fantasy scenes were very good but in no way detracted from the story. There's also plenty of violence but the violence provided the weight necessary to accurately portray fascism. This is movie making at its absolute highest level. Expand
  76. RogerE
    Dec 2, 2009
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.
  77. BillL
    Oct 29, 2009
    Flawless masterpiece. Unforgettable.
  78. DianaB
    Oct 28, 2009
    Really good story of the Spanish Civil War and its effect on a little girl.
  79. GrantZ
    Oct 25, 2009
    Pans Labyrinth may seem simple at first,but scratch away at the above layers and it's as complex as a film can get. IAre the fairies and things the girl sees make-believe or real. Is it all in her mind, is she mad, or is everyone around her mad? Examine the story closely and it can be made more life-like. The fawn that tells the girl to steal the baby and do all this bad stuff could Pans Labyrinth may seem simple at first,but scratch away at the above layers and it's as complex as a film can get. IAre the fairies and things the girl sees make-believe or real. Is it all in her mind, is she mad, or is everyone around her mad? Examine the story closely and it can be made more life-like. The fawn that tells the girl to steal the baby and do all this bad stuff could just be paedophile. She lives in a war torn area. So the monster with eyes in it's hands couldbe a blind person, who has been tortured to feel their way around. The film is deep, you have to think to get it and it's also beautifully haunting. Expand
  80. BrettK
    Oct 10, 2009
    Very good movie. Reminded me of a cross between Schindler's List and The Secret Garden.
  81. RyanM
    Oct 9, 2009
    Anybody who says Pan's Labyrinth is boring is a totally unsophisticated person with the mind of a 10 year old. My full review is on Rotten Tomatoes. My SN on there is Ryguy4738 M.
  82. ReneC
    Sep 25, 2009
    Excellent! I used this film as part of a school curriculum... Yes a I am a professor.. Some critics said: "a 6 because is violent"... These people should just look around them.. maybe they are playing the part of Ofelia... I think these people should go and live in Disneyland.
  83. EusebioP
    Sep 7, 2009
    Wonderful fairy tales and atrocious reality melt a lake of fantasy where you will drown like a child in the bed reading the Lord of the Rings for the first time. Superb.
  84. Unknown
    Sep 7, 2009
    After reading some of the reader reviews, I have completely lost faith in public opinion - moreso.This hauntingly beautiful foreign fairy tale/war movie, that intricately interplays abstract fantasy, and gritty realism can only be described as one the most provocative films of the decade. The story brilliantly portrays the harsh realities of the Spanish war and a young girl's After reading some of the reader reviews, I have completely lost faith in public opinion - moreso.This hauntingly beautiful foreign fairy tale/war movie, that intricately interplays abstract fantasy, and gritty realism can only be described as one the most provocative films of the decade. The story brilliantly portrays the harsh realities of the Spanish war and a young girl's desperate need to escape it, which leads to a heartbreaking climax which will annoy most, and leave others wallowing in its wondrously ironic metaphor. This is a thinking persons movie, and for those who say complain about the graphic violence, are the types of people who live in complete ignorance and shelter themselves from the realities of war. Although I would have liked to see more the subtly stylized fantasy aspect of the film, I understand why they abruptly cut it short - fairy tales do not last forever. With a haunting soundtrack, brilliantly well told story, fantastic acting and exquisitely disturbing images of the war - this is one film a smart person MUST see. Expand
  85. LizS
    Aug 16, 2009
    Some of the people leaving these ratings are ridiculous... A 5 because it does not deserve all the praise it has gotten.... a 9 because something is missing in the plot.... Simply ridiculous. This movie deserves a 10 in every aspect of cinematography. It is simply perfect and enchanting. It has some much more meaning than most of the films out there playing in theaters at the present moment.
  86. EmericC
    Aug 11, 2009
    Great movie, great actors. But something's missing in the plot.
  87. PaulD
    Jul 20, 2009
    This may be my favorite movie. I personally interpret the magic / religious elements in the movie as metaphor, although I'm aware of Del Toro's opinion on magic. This film and it's ending are (to me) a profound insight into the human need for religion, the need to believe in life beyond death etc. in a world that is often cruel and without meaning. I'm personally an This may be my favorite movie. I personally interpret the magic / religious elements in the movie as metaphor, although I'm aware of Del Toro's opinion on magic. This film and it's ending are (to me) a profound insight into the human need for religion, the need to believe in life beyond death etc. in a world that is often cruel and without meaning. I'm personally an agnostic but this film gave me a new understanding of the religious mindset. A beautiful film that works on almost every level. Everyone should see it. Expand
  88. meelan
    Jul 18, 2009
    The movie was definitely a dark fairy tale, its really sad and at times scary (when that guy smashed the bottle right into that kids face OMG!) other then the freak horror to it at points, it was an amazing movie, can't say the same for hellboy 2.
  89. AndrewC.
    Jul 13, 2009
    Would give it a 9.5 if I could but rounding down I go to a '9'. @ Matt C: What movie were you hoping to see when you went and saw this film? I get the feeling you just want to coast through life, movies, and the universe, with nothing taxing your brain throughout the whole safe, bland experience. @ Brian L: I would not call the violence in this movie 'exquisite', but Would give it a 9.5 if I could but rounding down I go to a '9'. @ Matt C: What movie were you hoping to see when you went and saw this film? I get the feeling you just want to coast through life, movies, and the universe, with nothing taxing your brain throughout the whole safe, bland experience. @ Brian L: I would not call the violence in this movie 'exquisite', but neither do I agree with all your negative inaccuracies about the film. There is horror in this film, to be sure. And it is brutal and shocking - I guarantee you that's how it happened in real life. I hate to break it to you, but humans can be more monstrous than any fantastical creature. In sync and alongside the horrifying way humans treat each other in the film is the fantastical element of the piece. No, it's not Disney - and you seem upset by this. I am not sure what you were expecting but I think you were definitely on the wrong track mate, regarding fairies and what-have-you. The torture scenes were very tastefully done - you barely see anything, but are left with a lot of nasty things to the imagination. You mentioned exploding brains - not a one to be seen - are you mixing this film up with a more mindless horror flick? I graduated from film school. but I am not a 'pro reviewer', as you say: I just see and appreciate the movie for what it is, don't let any preconceived ideas taint my online text. My quick summary of this film - honestly a truly powerful film. A quite stunning blend of brutal history with an seamless injection of fantasy that has to be seen to be understood how effortlessly it entwines into the story. In fact, I don't think I've experienced another film that blends reality and fantasy as seamlessly as this film. The only detraction for me is the ultimate ending, and even this is fine except for certain little things. The 'correct choice' at the end seems rather cliched, in the sense that the film deals with it very quickly and moves on with such speed that it feels we are running out of time. However, apart from that small flaw this film truly is quite incredible. I encourage all of you to watch this film - you probably won't see anything quite as incredible for a few years to come. Expand
  90. EnzoP.
    Jul 12, 2009
    Pan's Labyrinth is great and extremely entertaining. The idea is very good and the makeup is oscar worthy. The film is very well made and who cares if its in spanish. But their was something missed in the movie that didn't click I am still trying to figure it out.
  91. KaneP
    Jul 2, 2009
    Very few times do I watch a "hyped" film and expect it to meet the expectations. Pan's Labyrinth smashed all my expectations. Never have I viewed a film so beautifully crafted and executed. Beautifully constructed fantastic elements are juxtaposed against violent realism, creating an uneasy yet beautiful environment that is also an extremely tragic. This is the perfect example of Very few times do I watch a "hyped" film and expect it to meet the expectations. Pan's Labyrinth smashed all my expectations. Never have I viewed a film so beautifully crafted and executed. Beautifully constructed fantastic elements are juxtaposed against violent realism, creating an uneasy yet beautiful environment that is also an extremely tragic. This is the perfect example of film making at its finest. A film made with care, love and passion for the medium that is rarely seen in modern film. Expand
  92. JoeB
    Jul 1, 2009
    A brilliant mix of fantasy, brutal violence, and horror in Del Toro's masterpiece.
  93. DreH
    Jun 25, 2009
    Those who gave this movie below a 7 probably aren't very credible voters. This movie is beautiful on so many levels. This movie isn't slow. This movie isn't for those with ADD, this isnt a fast action thriller... I thin a lot of people do not realize that this is not an American made movie, but are judging i on American standards.
  94. RobK
    Jun 14, 2009
    Without a doubt, this is the epitome of cinema. Everything in the movie is so beautiful. I wish the people giving the movie bad ratings had the patience could go half of a second without seeing someone get shot. It's not that kind of movie.
  95. mikek
    May 26, 2009
    I was lucky enough that a theater in my area had this gem and me and my sisters and friends went and at first they where like whats with the spanish language and subs and about ten minutes in that was gone now thinking back i couldn't see this movie being that great in English but something about the way the actors present the language makes the movie feel magical and like it lifts I was lucky enough that a theater in my area had this gem and me and my sisters and friends went and at first they where like whats with the spanish language and subs and about ten minutes in that was gone now thinking back i couldn't see this movie being that great in English but something about the way the actors present the language makes the movie feel magical and like it lifts you to another place you have never been before and when i left the theater that night something happened that hadn't before no one was talking that's how blown away by this film it is a must see for anyone who thinks out side the box. Collapse
  96. goodmovielolz
    May 26, 2009
    Kevin c is incredibly ignorant. this movie is brilliant. im sorry that some of you are too stupid to understand it.
  97. ashleeb
    May 12, 2009
    We watched this movie for our fantasy english class..im only 17 and i thought it was great.. it was an incredibly disturbing movie to watch but it has a whole lot of meening behind it which im still trying to understand.. i think its such a good movie and recomend it highly =] I think that anyone who rates it that lowely clearly doesnt have a very broad imagination and is too set on the We watched this movie for our fantasy english class..im only 17 and i thought it was great.. it was an incredibly disturbing movie to watch but it has a whole lot of meening behind it which im still trying to understand.. i think its such a good movie and recomend it highly =] I think that anyone who rates it that lowely clearly doesnt have a very broad imagination and is too set on the real world and thats finee.. just dont watch fantasy films. Expand
  98. CarmineC
    May 3, 2009
    i hate the people who thinks that they are movie critics, this movie was incredible, this is a horror movie because it was scary compared to the sh*t that you see en discovery kids, Lord of the Rings was also cool kevin c, so when you have a smart argument for why it wasnt a great movie, post it here, Miguel V, you and kevin c are the only morons that rated it with a 2, you are not i hate the people who thinks that they are movie critics, this movie was incredible, this is a horror movie because it was scary compared to the sh*t that you see en discovery kids, Lord of the Rings was also cool kevin c, so when you have a smart argument for why it wasnt a great movie, post it here, Miguel V, you and kevin c are the only morons that rated it with a 2, you are not critics, me neither, but i see good movies and i can differ a good movie from a bad one. Expand
  99. MaxB
    Apr 14, 2009
    Truly an exceptional movie. The two stories are flawlessly incorporated together and the movie is actually quite terrifying, but without being a horror movie. An instant classic that will be remembered as one of the greatest films ever made.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.