Pan's Labyrinth

8.6

1. Jun 22, 2016
    An interesting fantasy movie based on fairy tale like coating. Though I personally did not like the ending. Anybody who wants to watch this film, I'm warning you that it contains sheer violent scenes.Overall better than avg movie (rated :8/10)
  2. Apr 5, 2016
    Simply fantastic! I truly enjoy experiencing what another country or culture would consider to be "fantasy" since they all seem to have different interpretations of the genre.

The darkness in both the fantasy elements of the movie, and the "real life" portions mirror each other perfectly and artfully. I will never forget this movie as long as I live. There are very, very few movies

There are very, very few movies that deserve a 10/10, and this is one of them.
  3. Feb 19, 2016
    Pan's Labyrinth is so heartbreaking that it actually takes your life away and burns it so you won't see your life ever again after see this awesome and burning movie.
  4. Jan 21, 2016
    Beautiful, violent, magical and sad....captivating from start to finish and one of my favorite movies.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-584-Pans-Labyrinth-online-free
  5. Jan 14, 2016
    Not much can be said about this film that hasn't been said already. Pan's Labyrinth is a dark fairy tale for adults. Beautiful, emotional, brutal, and haunting, all in one. Part historical drama, part psychological thriller, part fantasy, the film is perfectly directed and acted, and with some really nice visuals as well. Not all the CG looks that great (the frog, for example), but itNot much can be said about this film that hasn't been said already. Pan's Labyrinth is a dark fairy tale for adults. Beautiful, emotional, brutal, and haunting, all in one. Part historical drama, part psychological thriller, part fantasy, the film is perfectly directed and acted, and with some really nice visuals as well. Not all the CG looks that great (the frog, for example), but it doesn't take away from the experience. Pan's Labyrinth is Guillermo del Toro's masterpiece, a film that will always be remembered for it's brilliance, it's brutal violence, and it's enthralling story, as well as a perfect ending. The only thing that could really take away from your experience with this fantastic film is that it's a bit lower-key than many might expect. Don't get caught up in all the hype. Does it deserve it? Every bit of it. But it's always best to go into a film with no expectations, lest you be let down, even by something as well-done as this. In the end, Pan's Labyrinth has quickly made it's way into my top 10 favorite films of all time, and is my favorite foreign language film. I highly recommend Pan's Labyrinth. Expand
  6. Jan 5, 2016
    An extraordinary and powerful film that left an informed audience in silence.

A film on many levels, part mythical, part a story of a violent and internecine period of great brutality set in Spain. But what is the film all about? The film sucks you in; whilst in Spanish and with sub-titles, I had no sense of “reading” these sub-titles but rather a sense of both watching and being
    An extraordinary and powerful film that left an informed audience in silence.

A film on many levels, part mythical, part a story of a violent and internecine
    period of great brutality set in Spain.

But what is the film all about? The film sucks you in; whilst in Spanish and
    of both watching and being sucked into a powerful story.

The film makes sense when you put in an even more brutal scene played out
    almost nine months previously. The captain has clearly terrorised the area
    and all the surrounding communities. We have learnt that mother knows it is
    important that Ofelia recognise the captain as father; we know that Ofelia is
    coldly indifferent or more towards him; that at the time of the dinner she
    wilfully rolls in the mud – though ostensibly away with a faun (Pan has
    always been the go-between twixt man and gods, being half man and half
    mythical beast, a messenger and chord of communication with the other
    World) – ruining the expensive shoes and beautiful dress that her mother has
    given her for the occasion – Ofelia of course knows that such dress was
    provided indirectly by her “father” the captain.

We learn that the mother is considered a great beauty, though in the film she
    does not come across so, seeming a shadow, a shell of her perhaps previously
    vibrant self; in conversation between her brother-to-be-born, Ofelia talks of
    the wondrous way her mother comes alive when she smiles, informing he and
    us that her present austerity and zombie condition is not all she can be ..
    We know that Ofelia’s real father was a tailor, that the captain was one of his
    clients; and the unseen, unshot scene of nine months previous comes
    harrowingly view.

The captain whilst being fitted for a new uniform espies the beautiful wife of
    his tailor, he must have her and he kills the father and rapes the mother. In
    shades on the Tin Drum we see Ofelia perhaps observing this from beneath
    the table and we understand what has driven this child to seek the solace and
    comfort of her make-believe book-driven world…

We now understand the opening scene; the late arrival with birth imminent of
    the mother and Ofelia and the Faustian pact that mother has made.
    We can imagine this butcher, this captain, king of his territory seeing this
    beautiful woman ripen into pregnancy carrying the child he must have
    fathered and in the death-throes of a war he knows is lost the imperative of
    the necessity for him to gather to him his heir – we have been told that he is
    illogically certain that the unborn is a boy and we know he is totally unfeeling
    to the mother and that her death is of no concern, but rather, at all costs, and
    at any risk to the mother, the birth of his son and heir is paramount.
    So he sends his troops and convoy to fetch this woman, this carrier of his
    ripening seed, such that he too can pass on his watch..

The last scene, the death of Ofelia shot by the captain sees that as her life force
    ebbs she seeks refuge in becoming her fairy princess alongside her mother
    and real father and thus can, and does die, with an almost smile on her lips.. This is the only way that makes sense of this sometimes graphically brutal tragedy; the way a young girl seeks refuge from brutal reality and in the understanding comes an even greater sense of this time of brutality and savagery, which whilst set in the aftermath of the real civil war – the captain at one point reminding us of this by proclaiming that such war his side had “won” – sees an extension of this under the cloak of the broader 2nd world war. One of the best, perhaps even the best film I have seen that clearly has marked the psyche and consciousness of all who have seen it; though not one for either the faint-hearted or those without the backdrop understanding of this traumatic period. The impact and trauma of the times and the way this reverberates through the generations to the present day is a theme indirectly explored in the book by Robert Wilson, “The Blindman of Seville”, which book I am now moved to reread; or should I instead re-read “The Wisdom of Crocodiles” a book which explores the extreme consequentiality of disparate actions… A powerful film that has had me thinking all night and caused me to put pen to paper at 4am…..
  7. Oct 30, 2015
    ¡Que belleza de película! Del Toro y su increíble imaginación nos sorprenden una vez mas en esta película. Me encanto la relación entre el mundo real y un mundo mágico, donde al final no se sabe si todo lo que Ofelia vive es real o no. Las criaturas y demonios que Del Toro creo para esta película es de admirarse y de respetarse, pues a mi consideración creo unos personajes tan únicos y¡Que belleza de película! Del Toro y su increíble imaginación nos sorprenden una vez mas en esta película. Me encanto la relación entre el mundo real y un mundo mágico, donde al final no se sabe si todo lo que Ofelia vive es real o no. Las criaturas y demonios que Del Toro creo para esta película es de admirarse y de respetarse, pues a mi consideración creo unos personajes tan únicos y originales que le dan un toque fresco y innovador a esta película y se agradece que usaron poco CGI, el maquillaje y el diseño de vestuario se ve mas real y mas clásico. Es una de las mejores películas de fantasía de todos los tiempos, la mezcla de fantasía, horror, magia y suspenso hacen que "Pan's Labyrinth" sea un triunfo. Una aventura épica y mágica! Expand
  8. Oct 16, 2015
    An astonishing movie. Well directed, well written and visually amazing. The best part about it isn't the visuals though. See, the movie's set back during the Spanish Civil War and combines fantasy with harsh political realism. That's what makes it so great. And I'm willing to bet that a lot of people negatively reviewing the movie missed the point-without the war elements, it might haveAn astonishing movie. Well directed, well written and visually amazing. The best part about it isn't the visuals though. See, the movie's set back during the Spanish Civil War and combines fantasy with harsh political realism. That's what makes it so great. And I'm willing to bet that a lot of people negatively reviewing the movie missed the point-without the war elements, it might have gotten a 79 on Meteoritic but Doubt it would have gotten a 98. I'm in shock that it didn't win Best Foreign Language movie at the Oscars. In fact, if it weren't for this movie, I doubt I could forgive Del Toro for that disaster of a film, Pacific Rim. An amazing movie, truly as good as they say. Expand
  9. Oct 5, 2015
    Pan's Labyrinth has all the elements of a fantasy adventure: costumes, props, effects, sounds, score, sympathetic heroines, detestable villains, mystery, and wonder. However, there is a great deal of cruelty in the film, and it is taken such a high degree that it detracts from the experience.
  10. Aug 30, 2015
    Speaking as someone with a distaste for all things fantasy, this is one of the most incredible films I have ever seen. It is brilliantly directed, acted and written. The fantasy world serves to convey a message of escapism and perfectly juxtaposes the reality of civil war torn Spain.
  11. Jul 21, 2015
    It really doesn't get much better than Pan's Labyrinth. A creative, well-written, well-acted story that seems more real than fantasy oftentimes. Del Toro's ability to turn fantasy into suspense at any moment is what makes the story more than just a fairytale. While most fantasy concepts are in some way predicated upon resolved suspense throughout its plot and in reaching its conclusion,It really doesn't get much better than Pan's Labyrinth. A creative, well-written, well-acted story that seems more real than fantasy oftentimes. Del Toro's ability to turn fantasy into suspense at any moment is what makes the story more than just a fairytale. While most fantasy concepts are in some way predicated upon resolved suspense throughout its plot and in reaching its conclusion, not all are able to fuse the two such that neither one or the other is its own. As a result, Pan's Labyrinth transcends our expectations and preconceptions and reaches its audience in more than one way. Expand
  12. Mar 19, 2015
    Heartbreakingly apt in its musings on war and fascism, but also simultaneously poetic with its eye-teasing cinematography and production design, Guillermo Del Toro's seminal fantasy/drama is sure to move even the stoniest of fellows.
  13. Feb 4, 2015
    wonderful movie and one of the great fantasy movies of all times.
    it shows us borders between fantasy and real, between children's world and adult's world.
  14. Jan 13, 2015
    I have long felt this was Del Toro at his best. If you happen to be bi-lingual you would notice that the Spanish version offers a bit more depth and meaning to each scene. It can't be helped really, all translations lose a little something. Nonetheless, Pan and Ofelia found a way into my own dreams, or nightmares? You can't help but respect this film.
  15. Nov 11, 2014
    BEST MOVIE EVER. this movie is just perfect it has a great blend of drama and syfy/fantasy really a masterpiece that everyone should see at some point in their lives.
  16. Oct 30, 2014
    A young girl (Ofelia) travels with her mother to live with her new step father, a cruel encampment captain, in a rural area of Northern Spain towards the end of World War II. On her way there Ofelia learns of the story of a Princess that ran away from her kingdom only to be killed. Her father vowed he would wait for her return as long as breath still flowed through his body. Upon herA young girl (Ofelia) travels with her mother to live with her new step father, a cruel encampment captain, in a rural area of Northern Spain towards the end of World War II. On her way there Ofelia learns of the story of a Princess that ran away from her kingdom only to be killed. Her father vowed he would wait for her return as long as breath still flowed through his body. Upon her arrival, Ofelia is visited by fantastical creatures urging her to claim her rightful crown as the missing Princess, a process that sends her on a journey that provides an escape from the horrific real world events all around her.

Pan's Labyrinth is a dark movie with most scenes set in the brutal, and very real world, of the Spanish encampment that sees some shocking moments of violence. Sergi Lopez plays the Spanish captain to perfection making the events seem all the more real and horrifying. The visual effects of the fantasy world are simply stunning, providing an excellent contrast to the real world in which Ofelia lives and making her decisions all the more understandable.

Where Pan's Labyrinth really succeeds though is in allowing the audience to make up their own mind about what is real and what is not. Talk to a selection of people who have watched the movie and each will have their own take on events, all of which are plausible when watching the film for a second time.
  17. Oct 10, 2014
    It's pretty understandable to seem why Pan's Labyrinth might seem overhyped (let's be real, a metascore of 98 is a little ridiculous), but, honestly, it's one of the few movies I'd consider deserving of it. Not only is it one of the most beautifully and painstakingly crafted films in recent memory (and all on a budget of only $19 million too, which is pretty impressive considering the sizeIt's pretty understandable to seem why Pan's Labyrinth might seem overhyped (let's be real, a metascore of 98 is a little ridiculous), but, honestly, it's one of the few movies I'd consider deserving of it. Not only is it one of the most beautifully and painstakingly crafted films in recent memory (and all on a budget of only $19 million too, which is pretty impressive considering the size of a lot of movie budgets these days), but the writing manages to seamlessly blend a dark fairytale (that doesn't lose its sense of childhood wonder and mystery) with the searing drama of the Spanish Civil War. Everyone's acting is up to the task too, even the 11 year old's. Expand
  18. Sep 28, 2014
    A stunning and dark fairy-tale movie. It's deep, moving, and filled with symbolism. It's a treat for the eyes with gorgeous effects and creatures that just look real. It's a mix of a fantasy and a war movie with touches of horror. It's overall just a work of art that can appeal to audiences of all ages, although due to some mature content and potentially frightening images it is probablyA stunning and dark fairy-tale movie. It's deep, moving, and filled with symbolism. It's a treat for the eyes with gorgeous effects and creatures that just look real. It's a mix of a fantasy and a war movie with touches of horror. It's overall just a work of art that can appeal to audiences of all ages, although due to some mature content and potentially frightening images it is probably better left to the older ones. Del Toro created a masterpiece, one that should be at the top of your must-watch list. It is one that will stick with you long after watching. Expand
  19. Sep 23, 2014
    I seriously don't understand the love for this movie. It is far from being a bad movie but its a 7 out of 10, not an 11 like most would have you believe.
  20. Sep 14, 2014
    Del Toro is one of the few directors currently out there with the sort of unique vision that Kubrick or Lucas (forget the dialogue...think of the how far Star Wars was ahead of it's time in '77) had...Pan's Labyrinth is well deserving of it's 98...
  21. Aug 30, 2014
    It is, in my humble opinion, perfect from start to finish, a visionary, thrilling, moving, completely unique film-watching experience. I love this movie.
  22. Aug 16, 2014
    Visually stunning , with an excellent amount of depth and some of the best storytelling and Pale face was as perfect as I imagined. It was just let down by its stupid characters such as Omelia and at times I found my self yelling at the screen at her stupidity.
  23. Aug 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. do not pan Pan's labyrinth, because quite frankly, it happens to be a truly fabulous and greatly inspired mish-mash of fairy-tale fantasy (told in an eerie, unnerving perspective) and a little historical adventure too (the film is based in the Spanish civil war). As a little advice though, don't go crawling inside large trees to go looking for giant burping frogs, no 1: because there won't be any, just insects and not very happy badgers, and no 2: like Ophelia in the film, you'll be very muddy. otherwise, enjoy!!!!!!!!! Expand
  24. Jun 13, 2014
    Damn, this was a really good film. Visually stunning, Guillermo del Toro has crafted a marvelous film here. The visual effects are to perfection and brilliantly done. The sheer beauty of the film is amazing. The cinematography, the themes, the visual effects, are all ravishing. In addition, the thrills, the darkness, the terror, all work extremely well and have the desired effect on theDamn, this was a really good film. Visually stunning, Guillermo del Toro has crafted a marvelous film here. The visual effects are to perfection and brilliantly done. The sheer beauty of the film is amazing. The cinematography, the themes, the visual effects, are all ravishing. In addition, the thrills, the darkness, the terror, all work extremely well and have the desired effect on the audience. This one is truly magical to watch and really keeps you on the edge of your seat as you watch the events unfold. The comparisons It is truly impossible to not like this film. The combination of the fantasy elements with the war elements are very well done as well and both only serve to further one another. While the film is undeniably about the fantasy element, it would be nothing without the war element. Not a minute of the film was wasted.

On the negative, I only have one thing, but it is a big thing for me that turned me off at times. The violence was over the top, it was far too graphic for my liking. I can connect the dots as to what is about to happen without having to see it happen. Most films do not commit this sin, but sadly, this one does. I still love the film, but I cannot give it a higher rating for that reason.
  25. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Master-peace is really the only way to describe Pan's Labyrinth, what the film does with a simple premise is amazing, it basically reinvents the fairy tale genre by adding Darker, more realistic, circumstances to the situation presented by the film, Believable yet still feeling very Fictional, a fine blend between the two. Del Toro has really out done himself and you can see how much passion and work went into the project throughout chemistry between characters, the dialog, the amazing setting and visuals, every scene takes you by the hand and guides you through this fantastic film giving every little device detail and personality.

Watch the Film, it will win you other, truly the only way to watch this film is Subbed, if it is ever remade in English the simple structure, charm and beauty within the movie will be violated.

10/10: Master-peace
  26. Apr 14, 2014
    Few movies shock me like Del Toro's masterpiece "Pan's Labyrinth". This is a movie which manages to present an original and brilliantly written fantasy world with some fantastic characters. I don't even know what should I talk about next: the beautiful cinematography or the amazing soundtrack. Well, let's start with the one that pleases our eyes: this movie looks beautiful with every frameFew movies shock me like Del Toro's masterpiece "Pan's Labyrinth". This is a movie which manages to present an original and brilliantly written fantasy world with some fantastic characters. I don't even know what should I talk about next: the beautiful cinematography or the amazing soundtrack. Well, let's start with the one that pleases our eyes: this movie looks beautiful with every frame being dominated by a certain color, more than a simple film grain. But our ears aren't ignored either, the soundtrack being mesmerizing and epic. These two elements combined create an amazing body of art which make the movie looking like a dystopian fantasy painting. So, these two elements are great, but the script it's what sends this movie into a class of its own. This is not just another fantasy picture, this is a deeply emotional and thrilling battle between the cruel reality which is Fascist Spain and the beautiful world of fantasy. Yes, I said beautiful, because through all the grotesque imaging of the fantasy world, it is more beautiful in the end because of the power of human emotion which surpass all the evil.

In the end, I think this movie's greatest achievement it's that it managed to show us that there it's beauty in the dissonance, and it managed this through its artful cinematography and soundtrack, and, of course. through the sheer originality and complexity of the script.
  27. Apr 3, 2014
    This movie blew my mind. Filled with a moving story and amazing visuals, Guillermo del Toro crafted his best movie to date. Be careful: it's not at all a kids movie.
  28. Jan 31, 2014
    During and after for a while, I didn't know how to think of this movie to be a masterpiece. But as one of my early mature film experiences, it took a day;s venture to discover that Pan's Labyrinth is the most unforgettably harmonious and well-contrasted and magical piece of cinematic film I've ever seen. Just my style, just my kind.
  29. Jan 24, 2014
    ''Stunning.'' Inventive.'' ''A Masterpiece and nearly the greatest film ever made..'' In misery there can be beauty... In death there can be life..In simplicity, there can be Greatness... Pan's Labyrinth will fires your nerve.
  30. Jan 11, 2014
    Pan's Labyrinth is one of those movies whose sound and look is so distinctive that you instantly recognize it. Guillermo del Toro combines great storytelling and elements of fantasy to create a surging plot which succeeds in capturing our imagination, mood and emotions.

We follow two story lines. The one rooted in reality is about a secluded small town ruled by a despotic captain tasked with wiping out the remnants of the resistance which has taken shelter in the surrounding jungles. The other one is about a young girl, Ofelia, who is forced to accept the captain as her stepfather. She is fond of fairy tales which she carries everywhere. Whether the faun promising her passage to the virtually perfect world is an escapist fantasy of hers or not is left up to the viewer to decide.

Del Toro relies chiefly on score, voice-over and narration to create momentum. The editing was successful in keeping the audience eyeing every dialogue. The fact that the majority must have been following subtitles for the entire length of the movie did not lessen the effect the film has on you, but on the contrary created a world that was mesmerizing.

The movie is set in Francoist Spain. The art direction painted a vivid picture of the 1940s through depicting the buildings, cars and costumes of that era. We also get to witness some of the lifestyle of the time. The faun creature, who gives Ofelia tasks to complete in order to gain entrance into the Underground Realm was a particularly unique creation. The work done deserved the Oscar it received.

Frequently the story transitions into the fantasy part. We learn about the lost princess, who Ofelia thinks is herself. The pregnancy of Ofelia's mother is a major concern throughout the movie. It is feared that there's an informer for the rebels inside the camp, of whose identity Ofelia comes to learn of.

The captain is a megalomaniac who insults people with his every breath and is bent on destroying the insurgency. Despite proof of his madness, Del Toro resists the temptation of painting him as an irredeemable person. He shows leniency now and then, and on one occasion hints that loyalty to him would have worked out better for a certain character. He is a man built for conflict, and actively seeks it. He always carries a watch on him which ticks loudly to keep him on schedule, even in the middle of gunfights. He is also fond of torturing captured people.

The action sequences were well drawn and made what was happening clear. Light is used to control mood. The score is poignant and memorable and haunting. The visual effects creates the creatures of this fantasy world which rivals any done by the mainstream Hollywood. A lot of this creativity went into showing how people were killed.

The pace picks up during the second half. The resistance becomes bolder and gets reinforcements. There were a few scenes of cathartic killing and blood-letting. And we also learn the final fate of the main characters.

Despite the fact that the fantasy element has a marginal effect on the progress of the story, the movie becomes something special with its inclusion. The contrast between a child's wish to be somewhere safe where she would be loved and the skirmishes between the government troops and the rebels finally makes the message very clear in the end.
  31. Nov 5, 2013
    Good movie, but i don't understand why everyone gives this a 10/10, its really good done but i don't see how this story is good enough for more...i don't see the big meaning in the movie or story for more than 7 or 8.
  32. Oct 25, 2013
    With incredible visual effects and a superb collection of actors, 'Pan's Labyrinth', despite being a fantasy film, is emotionally raw, dark, and real. Despite its fairy tale-like imaginary properties, the film is heart-breaking and puts its protagonist through a distressing (and at times disturbing) adventure leading up to its tragic conclusion that will resonate with its viewers longWith incredible visual effects and a superb collection of actors, 'Pan's Labyrinth', despite being a fantasy film, is emotionally raw, dark, and real. Despite its fairy tale-like imaginary properties, the film is heart-breaking and puts its protagonist through a distressing (and at times disturbing) adventure leading up to its tragic conclusion that will resonate with its viewers long after its closing credits pass. Expand
  33. Sep 19, 2013
    if you said this movie was bad or average I will say why do you see movies
    visuals are top notch every thing involving the film is top notch. the score,cinematography, the performance especially segi Lopez
  34. Aug 13, 2013
    Marvelous to the deep core, 'Pan's Labyrinth' is s astounding, so fantastic, that one must wonder how Guillermo del Toro came about some of the instances in the film.
  35. Jul 21, 2013
    Una película espectacular, divertida, reflexiva, entretenida.
    Es grandiosa de principio a fin. Sin duda de lo mejor que he visto en mi vida y la mejor pelicula que ha hecho Guillermo
  36. Jul 9, 2013
    It would be an understatement to say that this movie is even somewhat enjoyable. It is without a doubt one of the greatest fantasy films I have ever seen.
    Guillermo del Toro has knocked this gem out of the park with amazingly horrific visuals, fantastic performances, outstanding intricacy all surrounded around a beautifully intelligent script.
    If you are looking for a darker, maturer
    If you are looking for a darker, maturer version of Alice in Wonderland, I couldn't recommend this film more strongly. This is the Citizen Kane of the fantasy genre. Check it out and experience the awe and enchantment of Pan's Labyrinth!
  37. Jul 3, 2013
    A magnificent achievement that breaks through barriers of foreign language films. Intensely and delicately directed film that leaves quite an impression. A beautiful story that excels on all levels.
  38. Jun 6, 2013
    great. This movie shows the pain and tragedy of war.
    i can't enlish. so i can't write a reaview in english. but. this movie great i know it
  39. May 14, 2013
    It's like a fairy tale a brutal fairy tale.
    The characters, the costumes, the makeup, the amazing but sad story a really great fantasy highlight!
  40. Apr 22, 2013
    This is the most dark and brutal fantasy film I ever saw, even better than Sleeping Hollow. Amazing movie, I was chained to monitor from beginning to the end. Incredible precision and attention to details. Watch this if you dare.
  41. Apr 9, 2013
    Pan's labyrinth is a beautiful film (not only is it pretty to look at, but the story is also captivating). The acting is also excellent particularly from Baquero and Lopez. Baquero is particularly deserving of praise given the fact she was only 12 years old when this was filmed. Pan's labyrinth is pure escapism which commands your attention and will leave you stunned by the end of thePan's labyrinth is a beautiful film (not only is it pretty to look at, but the story is also captivating). The acting is also excellent particularly from Baquero and Lopez. Baquero is particularly deserving of praise given the fact she was only 12 years old when this was filmed. Pan's labyrinth is pure escapism which commands your attention and will leave you stunned by the end of the film. An absolute must see! Expand
  42. Apr 7, 2013
    Six years since I first saw this but the imagery still burns in my mind. I always avoided subtitled films but this movie changed everything for me. Breathtaking, horrific, hypnotic..you cannot turn away. You can't discern where reality ends and fantasy begins. Del Toro blends it all into a terrifying, visceral nightmare. All you can do is ride it out to the bittersweet finale. I cannotSix years since I first saw this but the imagery still burns in my mind. I always avoided subtitled films but this movie changed everything for me. Breathtaking, horrific, hypnotic..you cannot turn away. You can't discern where reality ends and fantasy begins. Del Toro blends it all into a terrifying, visceral nightmare. All you can do is ride it out to the bittersweet finale. I cannot fault this magical, highly original experience. You will not see many films of this calibre in your life. Such a fantastic, haunting, wonderful dream. Expand
  43. Apr 2, 2013
    Bravo Mr Del Toro, Bravo! You have succeeded in creating an engaging, compelling feature, combining fear and fantasy whilst exploring numerous issues including the deterioration of creativity as a result of exterior influences and the horrific impact of War. The acting is superb,Ivana Baquero is brilliant as Ophelia, vulnerable and inquisitive, her performance is frankly, worthy of anBravo Mr Del Toro, Bravo! You have succeeded in creating an engaging, compelling feature, combining fear and fantasy whilst exploring numerous issues including the deterioration of creativity as a result of exterior influences and the horrific impact of War. The acting is superb,Ivana Baquero is brilliant as Ophelia, vulnerable and inquisitive, her performance is frankly, worthy of an Oscar Nomination. Sergi Lopez is also brilliant as Vidal, Del Toro has effectively contrasted the respective natures of the two characters, Ophelia represents youth, creativity and optimism whilst Vidal is callous and violent. Del Toro's greatest success is the creation of Ophelia's alternate dimension. Stunning visual captivate a scene both beautiful and morbid. Del Toro has succeeded again in constructing a brilliant story from a concept that, without exceptional acting, set design, score and screenplay composition would fail to impress. Expand
  44. Mar 31, 2013
    Del Toro has created a dark and enriching film. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while and at the same time be shocked and terrified of the reality she lives in. The result is one of the best fantasy films in a long time.
  45. Feb 18, 2013
    "Pan's Labyrinth" by Guillermo del Toro is a beautiful yet grim film about the fairy-tale-like story of a child set during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo del Toro brings out the wonder of childhood innocence while juxtaposing it to the harsh realities found in desperate times. It is a twisted fairy-tale that is shown aesthetically well and is told through the"Pan's Labyrinth" by Guillermo del Toro is a beautiful yet grim film about the fairy-tale-like story of a child set during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo del Toro brings out the wonder of childhood innocence while juxtaposing it to the harsh realities found in desperate times. It is a twisted fairy-tale that is shown aesthetically well and is told through the imaginative perspective of a child making fantasies to overcome struggles and tragedies. Del Toro's visual masterpiece is both plot and character driven and this combined with its dark themes make it an adult's fairy-tale that is easily toys with your emotions. Lovers of bittersweet endings will truly enjoy this film and even after the film is over; it continues to linger in your mind and may incite even further discussion. Expand
  46. Feb 16, 2013
    Magical is not enough to describe the feeling while watching "Pan's Labyrinth" words can not explain how much wonder this movie contains, it is my favorite movie of all time, exquisite, spectacular, dark, mysterious, sad, thrilling, all in all, in one movie, which is so underrated, twisted, original, horrific, beautiful and the most important word which is not enough...MASTERPIECE!
  47. Feb 8, 2013
    Acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy", "The Devil's Backbone"), creates one of the most exciting and visually stunning adult-themed fables ever. "Pan's Labyrinth" is one of the cinema's great fantasies--rich with darkness and wonder. It's a fairy tale of such potency and grandeur, that it reconnects the adult imagination to our primal thrill, and horror stories that held usAcclaimed director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy", "The Devil's Backbone"), creates one of the most exciting and visually stunning adult-themed fables ever. "Pan's Labyrinth" is one of the cinema's great fantasies--rich with darkness and wonder. It's a fairy tale of such potency and grandeur, that it reconnects the adult imagination to our primal thrill, and horror stories that held us spellbound as children. As gruesome and brutal as it is enchanting and spellbinding--"Pan's Labyrinth" is a movie intended for adults. It is a harsh, uncompromising film--but equally just as beautiful and moving."Pan's Labyrinth" is itself a narrative maze, with multiple stories that branch apart and back together again. This dark fairy tale plays out against the backdrop of Spain in 1944. A monstrous Fascist captain (López) is determined to flush out soldiers of the resistance, as his pregnant wife arrives at his countryside headquarters with her young daughter. The young girl Ofelia (Baquero), escapes the brutality of her new environment by drifting into a fantasy world where she comes across a mysterious faun. The faun tells her that she is a princess from a kingdom in the underground. The faun also tells that her that her father is waiting for her, but she needs to accomplish three challenging and dangerous assignments first. Ofelia's challenges do not arise like arbitrary plot obstacles--they are organic to her (and the movie's) development. She learns not only to follow instructions--and that there are heavy prices to pay for failing to abide by them. But also to trust her own instincts about what is right and wrong. In order to find her true self, she must also find the her inner-strength to break the rules imposed by authority. An individual conscience. What could be a more powerful anti-fascist weapon than that?
    In a dark, harsh, and violent world, Ofelia lives in her magical world trying to survive her tasks and see her father again. Soon, the line between fantasy and reality begins to blur, and before Ofelia can turn back, she finds herself at the center of the ferocious battle between Good and Evil. Incredibly unique fable that blends fantasy and fearsome violence, ultimately merging the two stories together. Superbly realized--a rare film that invites repeated viewings to fully absorb all that writer-director del Toro has put into it. Oscar winner for Cinematography, Makeup, and Art Direction.
  48. Jan 28, 2013
    In my opinion, this movie was so good beacuse it was sad, exiting an at the same time dark, only if there werent so much blood it would be the best movie of 2006
  49. Jan 26, 2013
    Should have been nominated for best picture. It is and continues to be one of my all time favorite movies. It is deeply original in design, and I still have not seen anything quiet like it. The story is heartbreaking as well and I would take this movie over the departed any day of the week.
  50. Jan 5, 2013
    What a fantastic film! A masterful blend of horror, fantasy and drama. Del Toro is a true visionary. The fact that it's in Spanish makes it ten times better.
  51. Dec 19, 2012
    A wonderful journey, though cruel and perverse. The first time I watched it I couldn't but feel overwhelmed by the performances, specially Ofelia and Vidal. The visuals are simply astounding, and the storytelling, captivating. This movie will endure in the hearts and souls of everyone who watched it, whether you love it or hate it.
  52. Dec 7, 2012
    Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy film tailored to adults (think Alice in Wonderland for grown-ups). Del Toro masterfully combines elements of horror and drama to create an almost hybrid fantasy film. The film was brilliantly cast, and almost perfectly acted. For a fantasy film; the acting brought a sense of realism. The major high-point of this film is the story, which was beautifully crafted,Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy film tailored to adults (think Alice in Wonderland for grown-ups). Del Toro masterfully combines elements of horror and drama to create an almost hybrid fantasy film. The film was brilliantly cast, and almost perfectly acted. For a fantasy film; the acting brought a sense of realism. The major high-point of this film is the story, which was beautifully crafted, and thoroughly entertaining. Pan's Labyrinth is an all around amazing fantasy film. Expand
  53. Nov 12, 2012
    Perhaps the greatest fantasy film of all time, Del Toro's labyrinth really cuts to your core. It not only bewilders with wonder and sensation, but also has a warm spirit and quietly dazzles its completely captive audience.
  54. Oct 12, 2012
    This movie moved me deeply in 2006, and hasn't stopped moving me since. The final scene is playing on a perpetual loop in the background of my mind. It is a canonical work of art.
  55. Oct 6, 2012
    One of the most brutal films I have ever seen, not just in actual violence, but in mindset. At the same time, what a sweet, beautiful story, mixing the fantastic with the gritty realism of war. For anyone prepared for horror, excitement and sadness, I recommend it.
  56. Sep 27, 2012
    There are very few films that I would rate 10/10, but this is without a shadow of a doubt one of them. The plot is brilliant, the acting is brilliant, the cinematography is brilliant. This film made me feel so close to certain characters and so angry at others that there were moments I found difficult to watch, but to me that's a sure sign of a brilliant film.

To summarise without

To summarise without spoiling, the film is set in fascist Spain and centres around a young girl who's struggling to live through the horrors of this adult world she's been so unwillingly thrust into. As such, the film almost plays out the two 'sides of the story' seamlessly, so beautifully moulded together that the line between fantasy and reality is blurred. We see the world for what it is and the world for what the young girl makes it out to be, her coping strategy, to put it bluntly. I think Guillermo Del Toro perfectly illustrates the endlessly imaginative vision that children have of the world and its stark contrast with reality is what makes elements of this film so tragic.

A must watch.
  57. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie might come off as a traditional fairy tale directed at children during the first few minutes, but it doesn't take long for one to understand it's far from it. Guillermo del Toro truly has done a lot of brave things here, resulting in a gritty and gruesome, yet beautiful, unique and memorable story. The movie also features swell acting, a serviceable score, as well as decentThis movie might come off as a traditional fairy tale directed at children during the first few minutes, but it doesn't take long for one to understand it's far from it. Guillermo del Toro truly has done a lot of brave things here, resulting in a gritty and gruesome, yet beautiful, unique and memorable story. The movie also features swell acting, a serviceable score, as well as decent visuals. The main flaw to this movie in my opinion, are some of the creature designs. Sure, they're not bad, but to make them even better, they would have needed to have more of a connection to the protagonist's mind. Some of the characters also feel very one dimensional, the captain in particular. Though, the aforementioned faults are negligible, and Pan's Labyrinth is ultimately a pretty damn good movie. Collapse
  58. May 25, 2012
    A fantastic fantasy film, maybe one of the best. The imagination that is put into this film is just out of this world. The visuals are just amazing. The story is very original and the overall presentation was brilliant. This is just a nearly flawless film that definitely deserved a lot of credit and praise.....
  59. Apr 21, 2012
    Guillermo del Toro creates a contrast between two worlds and a dazzling look at both war and a girl's way of coping with the horrors of her surroundings.
  60. Apr 13, 2012
    This is a real movie. All movies should be like this.
  61. Apr 3, 2012
    Literally the best of them all.
  62. Apr 1, 2012
    A fairy tale mature in it's aproach and dazzling in it's dramatic and visual effect. What is so wonderful about this film is the way the end is done. Under a hollywood production the film would have never ended the way it did.
  63. Feb 4, 2012
    Pan's Labyrinth is imaginative, visually dazzling, magically adventurous, perfectly gruesome along with fantastic performances make this one of the greatest movies ever made and it is perfect for adults. I give this movie 98%.
  64. Jan 15, 2012
    This is why User Reviews can't be take seriously! 106 as of today people gave this movie a negative review? Really! Really! Wow you people are just brain dead mongoloids! Anyone who gives this movie a bad review there credibility is gone forever, yes it's never coming back.
  65. Jan 7, 2012
    Not only is this movie visually stunning, ranging from innocent beauty to gruesome reality, not only does the director, Guillermo Del Toro, perfectly contrast a young girl's fantastic fairy tales with the Captain's brutality in war, Pan's Labyrinth is a moving and even philosophical story of someone trying to cope with the horrors of real life, a fable that transcends time. Probably one ofNot only is this movie visually stunning, ranging from innocent beauty to gruesome reality, not only does the director, Guillermo Del Toro, perfectly contrast a young girl's fantastic fairy tales with the Captain's brutality in war, Pan's Labyrinth is a moving and even philosophical story of someone trying to cope with the horrors of real life, a fable that transcends time. Probably one of the greatest movies ever made. Expand
  66. Dec 18, 2011
    Beautiful, magical, visceral, disturbing. These are only a few words of many that can describe Pan's Labyrinth. By far, it is one of the greatest fantasy films of all time that parallels two stories, one realistic, the other fantastic, and merges them together so that they end with ultimately the same message: Continue to dream and your dream will come true, even if only for yourself andBeautiful, magical, visceral, disturbing. These are only a few words of many that can describe Pan's Labyrinth. By far, it is one of the greatest fantasy films of all time that parallels two stories, one realistic, the other fantastic, and merges them together so that they end with ultimately the same message: Continue to dream and your dream will come true, even if only for yourself and even if only in death. Expand
  67. Nov 17, 2011
    Pan's Labyrinth is a good movie, it is creative, thrilling and entertaining. The dark twist to this movie is very well appreciated. The plot is great and visually dazzling, sure to keep you hooked and the acting is very good too. The creatures in the movie and scary and tense moments are very well played out. There are not really any flaws with the story other than maybe some tiny misstepsPan's Labyrinth is a good movie, it is creative, thrilling and entertaining. The dark twist to this movie is very well appreciated. The plot is great and visually dazzling, sure to keep you hooked and the acting is very good too. The creatures in the movie and scary and tense moments are very well played out. There are not really any flaws with the story other than maybe some tiny missteps but other than that it's good. Overall Pan's Labyrinth is a great movie that presents a great story while bringing much maturity, suspense, and entertainment to the fairy tale. Breakdown of "Pan's Labyrinth": Presentation: 9.7, Plot: 9.5, Acting: 9.8, Dialogue: 9.9, Lasting Apppeal: 9.6. Score: 9.7 out of 10 "Amazing" Expand
  68. Sep 10, 2011
    With gruesome but beautiful visuals by my favorite director Guillermo Del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth" is a deep, profound, and sad fairy tale that appeals to the audience of every age, presenting such maturity into the screen.
  69. Aug 26, 2011
    After seeing Pan's Labyrinth myself I could not find any word good enough to describe this film. It is a feat that only a great deal of originality and talent are capable of.
  70. Aug 25, 2011
    Pan's Labyrinth has been called, on countless occasions, "an adult's fairy tale." Not exactly. It's more like an adult's horribly repressed childhood nightmare. And, boy is that refreshing. It's all the innocence of childhood and imagination gone into the creepiest most horrific places. I enjoyed it.
  71. Aug 10, 2011
    This is the only fantasy movie I've ever appreciated and definitely makes every Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings look utterly ridiculous. One of kind, a love it or hate it production of beautiful imagery, a refreshing plastic experience, with a little touch of history and breathtaking performances. I've lost count of how many times I repeated this with friends of mine who have never seen it.
  72. Apr 20, 2011
    Both haunting and strangely alluring with its stunning atmosphere of fantasy and ominous mystery, the innocence of Pan and the terrifying events that unfold around her in both realms of her life provide a journey for the imagination that is epic, but full of horror and sorrow that is woven into this majestic tale that is a modern classic that will stand the test of time.
  73. Apr 10, 2011
    Like some dark, twisted Wizard of Oz, Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth sets some kind of precedent in not only the fantasy genre but in the entire film industry. The acting, particularly that of Sergi Lopez i Ayats as Colonel Vidal is flawless. The blend of real and unreal is artfully crafted in such a way that any mix with the formula would no doubt detract from the end result.
  74. Mar 20, 2011
    Fantastic movie. The stories of the war and the fairy tale going on in the middle blend very well, and the movie is worth reading (if you don't speak spanish). Very well acted and directed.
  75. Feb 19, 2011
    An absolute masterpiece from Guillermo del Toro. A fairy tale movie for adults, this movie is perfectly done and brilliantly acted. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while at the same time shocked and terrified of the the reality she lives in. Please don't be deterred by the fact that the movie is in Spanish, and you'll have to readAn absolute masterpiece from Guillermo del Toro. A fairy tale movie for adults, this movie is perfectly done and brilliantly acted. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while at the same time shocked and terrified of the the reality she lives in. Please don't be deterred by the fact that the movie is in Spanish, and you'll have to read subtitles. Doing so will cause you to miss out an absolutely incredible film. Expand
  76. Jan 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow people really didnt like this movie... i guess they just didnt get it, the violence is not some sort of sick twisted torture porn, it was to show exactly the world the girl was living in and just how hard it was for her. And for the record I'm not sure what everyones crying about how BAD the violence was in the movie when half the movies out there use so much more and its done just for the sake of it being there. The whole point of the fantasy world was the girls escape from this violence, so now it didnt have to be a mirror image of the war plot, instead it is a look into the mind of the girl and simply from the world she creates for herself we learn more about her as a character. *spoilers in this paragraph* Even though she creates this world she still puts an evil/violent spin on it as she cannot escape it but in her world she overcomes it. Sure she may not survive in the real world, she may not live and there may not be a happy ending in the real world, yet she still holds onto that belief that its possible and that right there gives us so much insight into the character of the girl, that even in her dying moments she still holds tight to this notion that everything is going to be ok... THAT is why we cry at the end of the film, that she, despite all this violence and even her dying she is still able to hold onto that innocence. The plot is very much modernist in so far as it creates a story that is trying to mimic that of real life, modernists were very much into the idea that a story didnt totally have a coherent plot or that it didnt follow the usual rising and following action or have a happy ending as that did not mimic real life. This movie does just that.

The problem is most people get it, some dont, they long for the comfort of the familiar rising and falling where everything is resolved in the end and if it doesnt follow that basic idea, that outline they get upset and storm off claiming its "screwed up" or "twisted" or just simply "stupid".

Though the one thing i can agree on it was marketed wrongly, I bought the movie when it first came out on DVD and expected a fantasy movie just like everyone else.
  77. Oct 9, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pans Labyrinth is a masterpiece of cinematic imagination. If one can't see the good in this film (and at the moment theres a 105 of you) then I commiserate with how you feel about the world. The most uplifting, disturbing, poignant, enchanting and mesmerising fairytale of all time- without doubt in my mind. Guillermo Del Toro is a true master. Expand
  78. Oct 4, 2010
    'Pan's Labyrinth' truly is a fairytale for adults. Do not be fooled by the fairytale like appearance of its trailers or posters, there is a sinister side to this movie. The production is fabulous, as is the acting and the story. What disappointed me a bit was the fantasy subplot. There really wasn't much in the way of magical worlds and creatures, which I what I was expecting. The heroine'Pan's Labyrinth' truly is a fairytale for adults. Do not be fooled by the fairytale like appearance of its trailers or posters, there is a sinister side to this movie. The production is fabulous, as is the acting and the story. What disappointed me a bit was the fantasy subplot. There really wasn't much in the way of magical worlds and creatures, which I what I was expecting. The heroine of the movie, Ofelia, is given three tasks to perform by a faun for her to return to her kingdom where she is a Princess. The first task is very short, the second is the most impressive, both fabulously filmed and wonderfully suspenseful, and the third isn't really a task at all, but rather an emotional scene. Apart from a few bits and pieces here and there, they are the only parts of the film that feature a fantastic fantasy world. The rest, although enjoyable, is the story of Ofelia fitting in to her new house, and her step father, the sinister Captain Vidal, tracking down the last rebels in post-Civil war Spain, with other real time subplots going on as well.
    The film is gory, thrilling and wonderfully well made, but was also very dark and I found the transitions of fantasy into the story sometimes hard to follow. Nevertheless, it was an excellent film and one which I recommend to people who like dark war films and twisted fantasy.
  79. Sep 20, 2010
    Dark and twisted, but amazing and fabulous styles evoke not only the young but also the adult. This movie is really great fantasy movie for adults while the others, otherwise, aren't.
  80. Sep 7, 2010
    One of my favorite films of all time. I will admit that the first time I saw Fauno I jumped a bit. Very dark but very appealing. People just hate it because they can't read the subtitles.
  81. Aug 29, 2010
    I don't like all of Metacritics top-rated films, but this one..wow. Probably my favorite film of this decade. Everyone should see this. I love the trials Ophelia is forced to do, and the ending is very entertaining. A great movie to watch a few times. I always say the worse films are the ones you can only see once and you've seen it all. This one can be viewed multiple times and hardlyI don't like all of Metacritics top-rated films, but this one..wow. Probably my favorite film of this decade. Everyone should see this. I love the trials Ophelia is forced to do, and the ending is very entertaining. A great movie to watch a few times. I always say the worse films are the ones you can only see once and you've seen it all. This one can be viewed multiple times and hardly ever gets boring. Expand
  82. JosephP
    Jun 18, 2010
    This movie focuses more on the real world Spanish civil war rather than the fantasy element, although it terrifically interwoven into the plot. For those who complain about the high level of gore, i completely agree but you must realise the Spanish civil war is the 'bloodiest' war to date in human history, and infact the violence is actually tremendously toned down. Unless you This movie focuses more on the real world Spanish civil war rather than the fantasy element, although it terrifically interwoven into the plot. For those who complain about the high level of gore, i completely agree but you must realise the Spanish civil war is the 'bloodiest' war to date in human history, and infact the violence is actually tremendously toned down. Unless you know a bit of Spanish history, I'd recommend you study up before watching this movie, as this is a MUST SEE. If you are a close-minded person or don't like the big bad world, don't watch it and stop littering the score with 0's. Expand
  83. BrianneC
    May 21, 2010
    I just saw this movie for the first time a couple days ago. I've never had the chance to see it and I've wanted to for the past four years. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes horror and fantasy. It has strong elements of both. It's a fantastic movie. So what if it has blood and gore in it and it's a fairy tale? No one ever said it was for kids. I wanted I just saw this movie for the first time a couple days ago. I've never had the chance to see it and I've wanted to for the past four years. I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes horror and fantasy. It has strong elements of both. It's a fantastic movie. So what if it has blood and gore in it and it's a fairy tale? No one ever said it was for kids. I wanted to see it when I was 12 and I think I would've been fine with it. This movie is definitely one of my favorites and I completely love it. Expand
  84. ClintM.
    May 19, 2010
    Original and non comprimising in both script and directing. I am not a fantasy/folklore fan and don't care much for Lord of the Rings nor Harry Potter etc but this movie works and stands on its own as unique, beautifully shot and actedanda middle finger to Hollywood. Guillermo's best movie in my opinion.
  85. RyanK.
    May 2, 2010
    This is definitely one of the best movies ever. It is so compelling story-wise and has a lot of meaning behind it.
  86. Jerrod
    Apr 30, 2010
    Absolutely spectacular in its ability to simultaneously dazzle and provide scathing insight into the more sordid nature of the human condition.(In a side note the person who gave this a one for being too gruesome for children, which you claim is the intended audience, this movie is rated R which has never denoted that children should watch).
  87. WIlC.
    Apr 19, 2010
    Absolutely amazing. I still watch it habitually and I am still completely blown away by it every time I watch it.
  88. diego
    Mar 6, 2010
    Awesome!!!! Beautiful!!! Fantastic!!!! This movie helped me erase some memories of the horrid crap I had seen . I love this movie.
  89. DaveH
    Feb 14, 2010
    I did enjoy this film but I believe Guillermo del Toro can do better films than this one, it's good, but it doesn't interest me much.
  90. BillyC.
    Feb 12, 2010
    Modern fantasy tale - as graphic as any of the old Germanic tales. Visually wonderful - one of the very few movies I'd suggest getting on Blu-Ray (Yes, there is a visible difference in this movie).
  91. gabriel
    Feb 9, 2010
    I thought this movie was fantastic. The acting was superb. I don't understand why people are complaining about the movie being too violent. It was my understanding that war is a bloody horrific thing. Hm. Maybe I'm wrong? Also, In my opinion this movie was about a young girl using her imagination to help her escape and cope with the traumatic situation she was in. I thought it I thought this movie was fantastic. The acting was superb. I don't understand why people are complaining about the movie being too violent. It was my understanding that war is a bloody horrific thing. Hm. Maybe I'm wrong? Also, In my opinion this movie was about a young girl using her imagination to help her escape and cope with the traumatic situation she was in. I thought it made perfect sense that the movie didn't focus that much on the fantasy element, which I saw upset some reviewers. Lastly, in regards to Nathaniel Z.'s comment, Ofelia and Ophelia are both correct. As you should know, names are spelled differently, constantly. Get used to it. And, she was bleeding out of her nose, because it is possible that after she got shot in the stomach that she had internal bleeding. Please, do your own research before criticizing the absolutely dumbest things. Expand
  92. EfraimA.
    Feb 6, 2010
    Interesting movie, very freaky and weird at first... but the story is incredible and the acting is inconceivable.
  93. UnaiM
    Jan 7, 2010
    Absolutely brilliant
  94. SandraS
    Jan 6, 2010
    You should know a bit more about the spanish history and u will understand that the movie is not as violent as the true. Its a wonderful way to show us the cruel true.
  95. TiagoF
    Jan 6, 2010
    Brilliant. Magical realism at it's best. Some people don't like it because they expect something else. Others don't like it because they just don't get it. People who now what to expect and can understand this masterpiece will NOT be disappointed.
  96. JRMM
    Jan 3, 2010
    Few movies are perfect: Pan's Labyrinth is one of the perfect ones. Truly one of the greatest fantasy films ever made. Among my top 20 favorite films of all time.
  97. DavidT
    Dec 25, 2009
    This is easily one of my favorite films from the past decade. The war scenes, the fantasy scenes as well as the family dynamics were woven together intricately and the result was an incredible, unforgettable story. The special effects for the fantasy scenes were very good but in no way detracted from the story. There's also plenty of violence but the violence provided the weight This is easily one of my favorite films from the past decade. The war scenes, the fantasy scenes as well as the family dynamics were woven together intricately and the result was an incredible, unforgettable story. The special effects for the fantasy scenes were very good but in no way detracted from the story. There's also plenty of violence but the violence provided the weight necessary to accurately portray fascism. This is movie making at its absolute highest level. Expand
  98. RogerE
    Dec 2, 2009
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.