8.5

1. Apr 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Master-peace is really the only way to describe Pan's Labyrinth, what the film does with a simple premise is amazing, it basically reinvents the fairy tale genre by adding Darker, more realistic, circumstances to the situation presented by the film, Believable yet still feeling very Fictional, a fine blend between the two. Del Toro has really out done himself and you can see how much passion and work went into the project throughout chemistry between characters, the dialog, the amazing setting and visuals, every scene takes you by the hand and guides you through this fantastic film giving every little device detail and personality.

Watch the Film, it will win you other, truly the only way to watch this film is Subbed, if it is ever remade in English the simple structure, charm and beauty within the movie will be violated.

10/10: Master-peace
  2. Apr 14, 2014
    Few movies shock me like Del Toro's masterpiece "Pan's Labyrinth". This is a movie which manages to present an original and brilliantly written fantasy world with some fantastic characters. I don't even know what should I talk about next: the beautiful cinematography or the amazing soundtrack. Well, let's start with the one that pleases our eyes: this movie looks beautiful with every frame being dominated by a certain color, more than a simple film grain. But our ears aren't ignored either, the soundtrack being mesmerizing and epic. These two elements combined create an amazing body of art which make the movie looking like a dystopian fantasy painting. So, these two elements are great, but the script it's what sends this movie into a class of its own. This is not just another fantasy picture, this is a deeply emotional and thrilling battle between the cruel reality which is Fascist Spain and the beautiful world of fantasy. Yes, I said beautiful, because through all the grotesque imaging of the fantasy world, it is more beautiful in the end because of the power of human emotion which surpass all the evil.

In the end, I think this movie's greatest achievement it's that it managed to show us that there it's beauty in the dissonance, and it managed this through its artful cinematography and soundtrack, and, of course. through the sheer originality and complexity of the script.
  3. Apr 3, 2014
    This movie blew my mind. Filled with a moving story and amazing visuals, Guillermo del Toro crafted his best movie to date. Be careful: it's not at all a kids movie.
  4. Jan 31, 2014
    During and after for a while, I didn't know how to think of this movie to be a masterpiece. But as one of my early mature film experiences, it took a day;s venture to discover that Pan's Labyrinth is the most unforgettably harmonious and well-contrasted and magical piece of cinematic film I've ever seen. Just my style, just my kind.
  5. Jan 24, 2014
    ''Stunning.'' Inventive.'' ''A Masterpiece and nearly the greatest film ever made..'' In misery there can be beauty... In death there can be life..In simplicity, there can be Greatness... Pan's Labyrinth will fires your nerve.
  6. Jan 11, 2014
    Pan's Labyrinth is one of those movies whose sound and look is so distinctive that you instantly recognize it. Guillermo del Toro combines great storytelling and elements of fantasy to create a surging plot which succeeds in capturing our imagination, mood and emotions.

We follow two story lines. The one rooted in reality is about a secluded small town ruled by a despotic captain tasked
    with wiping out the remnants of the resistance which has taken shelter in the surrounding jungles. The other one is about a young girl, Ofelia, who is forced to accept the captain as her stepfather. She is fond of fairy tales which she carries everywhere. Whether the faun promising her passage to the virtually perfect world is an escapist fantasy of hers or not is left up to the viewer to decide.

Del Toro relies chiefly on score, voice-over and narration to create momentum. The editing was successful in keeping the audience eyeing every dialogue. The fact that the majority must have been following subtitles for the entire length of the movie did not lessen the effect the film has on you, but on the contrary created a world that was mesmerizing.

The movie is set in Francoist Spain. The art direction painted a vivid picture of the 1940s through depicting the buildings, cars and costumes of that era. We also get to witness some of the lifestyle of the time. The faun creature, who gives Ofelia tasks to complete in order to gain entrance into the Underground Realm was a particularly unique creation. The work done deserved the Oscar it received.

Frequently the story transitions into the fantasy part. We learn about the lost princess, who Ofelia thinks is herself. The pregnancy of Ofelia's mother is a major concern throughout the movie. It is feared that there's an informer for the rebels inside the camp, of whose identity Ofelia comes to learn of.

The captain is a megalomaniac who insults people with his every breath and is bent on destroying the insurgency. Despite proof of his madness, Del Toro resists the temptation of painting him as an irredeemable person. He shows leniency now and then, and on one occasion hints that loyalty to him would have worked out better for a certain character. He is a man built for conflict, and actively seeks it. He always carries a watch on him which ticks loudly to keep him on schedule, even in the middle of gunfights. He is also fond of torturing captured people.

The action sequences were well drawn and made what was happening clear. Light is used to control mood. The score is poignant and memorable and haunting. The visual effects creates the creatures of this fantasy world which rivals any done by the mainstream Hollywood. A lot of this creativity went into showing how people were killed.

The pace picks up during the second half. The resistance becomes bolder and gets reinforcements. There were a few scenes of cathartic killing and blood-letting. And we also learn the final fate of the main characters.

Despite the fact that the fantasy element has a marginal effect on the progress of the story, the movie becomes something special with its inclusion. The contrast between a child's wish to be somewhere safe where she would be loved and the skirmishes between the government troops and the rebels finally makes the message very clear in the end.
  7. Oct 25, 2013
    With incredible visual effects and a superb collection of actors, 'Pan's Labyrinth', despite being a fantasy film, is emotionally raw, dark, and real. Despite its fairy tale-like imaginary properties, the film is heart-breaking and puts its protagonist through a distressing (and at times disturbing) adventure leading up to its tragic conclusion that will resonate with its viewers long after its closing credits pass. Expand
  8. Sep 19, 2013
    if you said this movie was bad or average I will say why do you see movies
    visuals are top notch every thing involving the film is top notch. the score,cinematography, the performance especially segi Lopez
  9. Aug 13, 2013
    Marvelous to the deep core, 'Pan's Labyrinth' is s astounding, so fantastic, that one must wonder how Guillermo del Toro came about some of the instances in the film.
  10. Jul 21, 2013
    Una película espectacular, divertida, reflexiva, entretenida.
    Es grandiosa de principio a fin. Sin duda de lo mejor que he visto en mi vida y la mejor pelicula que ha hecho Guillermo
  11. Jul 9, 2013
    It would be an understatement to say that this movie is even somewhat enjoyable. It is without a doubt one of the greatest fantasy films I have ever seen.
    Guillermo del Toro has knocked this gem out of the park with amazingly horrific visuals, fantastic performances, outstanding intricacy all surrounded around a beautifully intelligent script.
    If you are looking for a darker, maturer
    version of Alice in Wonderland, I couldn't recommend this film more strongly. This is the Citizen Kane of the fantasy genre. Check it out and experience the awe and enchantment of Pan's Labyrinth! Expand
  12. Jul 3, 2013
    A magnificent achievement that breaks through barriers of foreign language films. Intensely and delicately directed film that leaves quite an impression. A beautiful story that excels on all levels.
  13. Jun 6, 2013
    great. This movie shows the pain and tragedy of war.
    i can't enlish. so i can't write a reaview in english. but. this movie great i know it
  14. May 14, 2013
    It's like a fairy tale a brutal fairy tale.
    The characters, the costumes, the makeup, the amazing but sad story a really great fantasy highlight!
  15. Apr 22, 2013
    This is the most dark and brutal fantasy film I ever saw, even better than Sleeping Hollow. Amazing movie, I was chained to monitor from beginning to the end. Incredible precision and attention to details. Watch this if you dare.
  16. Apr 7, 2013
    Six years since I first saw this but the imagery still burns in my mind. I always avoided subtitled films but this movie changed everything for me. Breathtaking, horrific, hypnotic..you cannot turn away. You can't discern where reality ends and fantasy begins. Del Toro blends it all into a terrifying, visceral nightmare. All you can do is ride it out to the bittersweet finale. I cannot fault this magical, highly original experience. You will not see many films of this calibre in your life. Such a fantastic, haunting, wonderful dream. Expand
  17. Apr 2, 2013
    Bravo Mr Del Toro, Bravo! You have succeeded in creating an engaging, compelling feature, combining fear and fantasy whilst exploring numerous issues including the deterioration of creativity as a result of exterior influences and the horrific impact of War. The acting is superb,Ivana Baquero is brilliant as Ophelia, vulnerable and inquisitive, her performance is frankly, worthy of an Oscar Nomination. Sergi Lopez is also brilliant as Vidal, Del Toro has effectively contrasted the respective natures of the two characters, Ophelia represents youth, creativity and optimism whilst Vidal is callous and violent. Del Toro's greatest success is the creation of Ophelia's alternate dimension. Stunning visual captivate a scene both beautiful and morbid. Del Toro has succeeded again in constructing a brilliant story from a concept that, without exceptional acting, set design, score and screenplay composition would fail to impress. Expand
  18. Mar 31, 2013
    Del Toro has created a dark and enriching film. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while and at the same time be shocked and terrified of the reality she lives in. The result is one of the best fantasy films in a long time.
  19. Feb 18, 2013
    "Pan's Labyrinth" by Guillermo del Toro is a beautiful yet grim film about the fairy-tale-like story of a child set during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo del Toro brings out the wonder of childhood innocence while juxtaposing it to the harsh realities found in desperate times. It is a twisted fairy-tale that is shown aesthetically well and is told through the imaginative perspective of a child making fantasies to overcome struggles and tragedies. Del Toro's visual masterpiece is both plot and character driven and this combined with its dark themes make it an adult's fairy-tale that is easily toys with your emotions. Lovers of bittersweet endings will truly enjoy this film and even after the film is over; it continues to linger in your mind and may incite even further discussion. Expand
  20. Feb 16, 2013
    Magical is not enough to describe the feeling while watching "Pan's Labyrinth" words can not explain how much wonder this movie contains, it is my favorite movie of all time, exquisite, spectacular, dark, mysterious, sad, thrilling, all in all, in one movie, which is so underrated, twisted, original, horrific, beautiful and the most important word which is not enough...MASTERPIECE!
  21. Feb 8, 2013
    Acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy", "The Devil's Backbone"), creates one of the most exciting and visually stunning adult-themed fables ever. "Pan's Labyrinth" is one of the cinema's great fantasies--rich with darkness and wonder. It's a fairy tale of such potency and grandeur, that it reconnects the adult imagination to our primal thrill, and horror stories that held us spellbound as children. As gruesome and brutal as it is enchanting and spellbinding--"Pan's Labyrinth" is a movie intended for adults. It is a harsh, uncompromising film--but equally just as beautiful and moving."Pan's Labyrinth" is itself a narrative maze, with multiple stories that branch apart and back together again. This dark fairy tale plays out against the backdrop of Spain in 1944. A monstrous Fascist captain (López) is determined to flush out soldiers of the resistance, as his pregnant wife arrives at his countryside headquarters with her young daughter. The young girl Ofelia (Baquero), escapes the brutality of her new environment by drifting into a fantasy world where she comes across a mysterious faun. The faun tells her that she is a princess from a kingdom in the underground. The faun also tells that her that her father is waiting for her, but she needs to accomplish three challenging and dangerous assignments first. Ofelia's challenges do not arise like arbitrary plot obstacles--they are organic to her (and the movie's) development. She learns not only to follow instructions--and that there are heavy prices to pay for failing to abide by them. But also to trust her own instincts about what is right and wrong. In order to find her true self, she must also find the her inner-strength to break the rules imposed by authority. An individual conscience. What could be a more powerful anti-fascist weapon than that?
    In a dark, harsh, and violent world, Ofelia lives in her magical world trying to survive her tasks and see her father again. Soon, the line between fantasy and reality begins to blur, and before Ofelia can turn back, she finds herself at the center of the ferocious battle between Good and Evil. Incredibly unique fable that blends fantasy and fearsome violence, ultimately merging the two stories together. Superbly realized--a rare film that invites repeated viewings to fully absorb all that writer-director del Toro has put into it. Oscar winner for Cinematography, Makeup, and Art Direction.
  22. Jan 28, 2013
    In my opinion, this movie was so good beacuse it was sad, exiting an at the same time dark, only if there werent so much blood it would be the best movie of 2006
  23. Jan 26, 2013
    Should have been nominated for best picture. It is and continues to be one of my all time favorite movies. It is deeply original in design, and I still have not seen anything quiet like it. The story is heartbreaking as well and I would take this movie over the departed any day of the week.
  24. Jan 5, 2013
    What a fantastic film! A masterful blend of horror, fantasy and drama. Del Toro is a true visionary. The fact that it's in Spanish makes it ten times better.
  25. Dec 19, 2012
    A wonderful journey, though cruel and perverse. The first time I watched it I couldn't but feel overwhelmed by the performances, specially Ofelia and Vidal. The visuals are simply astounding, and the storytelling, captivating. This movie will endure in the hearts and souls of everyone who watched it, whether you love it or hate it.
  26. Dec 7, 2012
    Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy film tailored to adults (think Alice in Wonderland for grown-ups). Del Toro masterfully combines elements of horror and drama to create an almost hybrid fantasy film. The film was brilliantly cast, and almost perfectly acted. For a fantasy film; the acting brought a sense of realism. The major high-point of this film is the story, which was beautifully crafted, and thoroughly entertaining. Pan's Labyrinth is an all around amazing fantasy film. Expand
  27. Nov 12, 2012
    Perhaps the greatest fantasy film of all time, Del Toro's labyrinth really cuts to your core. It not only bewilders with wonder and sensation, but also has a warm spirit and quietly dazzles its completely captive audience.
  28. Oct 12, 2012
    This movie moved me deeply in 2006, and hasn't stopped moving me since. The final scene is playing on a perpetual loop in the background of my mind. It is a canonical work of art.
  29. Oct 6, 2012
    One of the most brutal films I have ever seen, not just in actual violence, but in mindset. At the same time, what a sweet, beautiful story, mixing the fantastic with the gritty realism of war. For anyone prepared for horror, excitement and sadness, I recommend it.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.