Picturehouse | Release Date: December 29, 2006
Universal acclaim based on 2243 Ratings
1,955
WATCH NOW
hardwired7Oct 12, 2012
This movie moved me deeply in 2006, and hasn't stopped moving me since. The final scene is playing on a perpetual loop in the background of my mind. It is a canonical work of art.
grandpajoe6191Sep 10, 2011
With gruesome but beautiful visuals by my favorite director Guillermo Del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth" is a deep, profound, and sad fairy tale that appeals to the audience of every age, presenting such maturity into the screen.
PersinOct 6, 2012
One of the most brutal films I have ever seen, not just in actual violence, but in mindset. At the same time, what a sweet, beautiful story, mixing the fantastic with the gritty realism of war. For anyone prepared for horror, excitement andOne of the most brutal films I have ever seen, not just in actual violence, but in mindset. At the same time, what a sweet, beautiful story, mixing the fantastic with the gritty realism of war. For anyone prepared for horror, excitement and sadness, I recommend it. Expand
canyouflyrayJan 15, 2012
This is why User Reviews can't be take seriously! 106 as of today people gave this movie a negative review? Really! Really! Wow you people are just brain dead mongoloids! Anyone who gives this movie a bad review there credibility is goneThis is why User Reviews can't be take seriously! 106 as of today people gave this movie a negative review? Really! Really! Wow you people are just brain dead mongoloids! Anyone who gives this movie a bad review there credibility is gone forever, yes it's never coming back. Expand
Potter17Aug 26, 2011
After seeing Pan's Labyrinth myself I could not find any word good enough to describe this film. It is a feat that only a great deal of originality and talent are capable of.
savannahrummelJan 7, 2012
Not only is this movie visually stunning, ranging from innocent beauty to gruesome reality, not only does the director, Guillermo Del Toro, perfectly contrast a young girl's fantastic fairy tales with the Captain's brutality in war, Pan'sNot only is this movie visually stunning, ranging from innocent beauty to gruesome reality, not only does the director, Guillermo Del Toro, perfectly contrast a young girl's fantastic fairy tales with the Captain's brutality in war, Pan's Labyrinth is a moving and even philosophical story of someone trying to cope with the horrors of real life, a fable that transcends time. Probably one of the greatest movies ever made. Expand
NixySep 27, 2012
There are very few films that I would rate 10/10, but this is without a shadow of a doubt one of them. The plot is brilliant, the acting is brilliant, the cinematography is brilliant. This film made me feel so close to certain characters andThere are very few films that I would rate 10/10, but this is without a shadow of a doubt one of them. The plot is brilliant, the acting is brilliant, the cinematography is brilliant. This film made me feel so close to certain characters and so angry at others that there were moments I found difficult to watch, but to me that's a sure sign of a brilliant film.

To summarise without spoiling, the film is set in fascist Spain and centres around a young girl who's struggling to live through the horrors of this adult world she's been so unwillingly thrust into. As such, the film almost plays out the two 'sides of the story' seamlessly, so beautifully moulded together that the line between fantasy and reality is blurred. We see the world for what it is and the world for what the young girl makes it out to be, her coping strategy, to put it bluntly. I think Guillermo Del Toro perfectly illustrates the endlessly imaginative vision that children have of the world and its stark contrast with reality is what makes elements of this film so tragic.

A must watch.
SwatiJan 11, 2014
Pan's Labyrinth is one of those movies whose sound and look is so distinctive that you instantly recognize it. Guillermo del Toro combines great storytelling and elements of fantasy to create a surging plot which succeeds in capturing ourPan's Labyrinth is one of those movies whose sound and look is so distinctive that you instantly recognize it. Guillermo del Toro combines great storytelling and elements of fantasy to create a surging plot which succeeds in capturing our imagination, mood and emotions.

We follow two story lines. The one rooted in reality is about a secluded small town ruled by a despotic captain tasked with wiping out the remnants of the resistance which has taken shelter in the surrounding jungles. The other one is about a young girl, Ofelia, who is forced to accept the captain as her stepfather. She is fond of fairy tales which she carries everywhere. Whether the faun promising her passage to the virtually perfect world is an escapist fantasy of hers or not is left up to the viewer to decide.

Del Toro relies chiefly on score, voice-over and narration to create momentum. The editing was successful in keeping the audience eyeing every dialogue. The fact that the majority must have been following subtitles for the entire length of the movie did not lessen the effect the film has on you, but on the contrary created a world that was mesmerizing.

The movie is set in Francoist Spain. The art direction painted a vivid picture of the 1940s through depicting the buildings, cars and costumes of that era. We also get to witness some of the lifestyle of the time. The faun creature, who gives Ofelia tasks to complete in order to gain entrance into the Underground Realm was a particularly unique creation. The work done deserved the Oscar it received.

Frequently the story transitions into the fantasy part. We learn about the lost princess, who Ofelia thinks is herself. The pregnancy of Ofelia's mother is a major concern throughout the movie. It is feared that there's an informer for the rebels inside the camp, of whose identity Ofelia comes to learn of.

The captain is a megalomaniac who insults people with his every breath and is bent on destroying the insurgency. Despite proof of his madness, Del Toro resists the temptation of painting him as an irredeemable person. He shows leniency now and then, and on one occasion hints that loyalty to him would have worked out better for a certain character. He is a man built for conflict, and actively seeks it. He always carries a watch on him which ticks loudly to keep him on schedule, even in the middle of gunfights. He is also fond of torturing captured people.

The action sequences were well drawn and made what was happening clear. Light is used to control mood. The score is poignant and memorable and haunting. The visual effects creates the creatures of this fantasy world which rivals any done by the mainstream Hollywood. A lot of this creativity went into showing how people were killed.

The pace picks up during the second half. The resistance becomes bolder and gets reinforcements. There were a few scenes of cathartic killing and blood-letting. And we also learn the final fate of the main characters.

Despite the fact that the fantasy element has a marginal effect on the progress of the story, the movie becomes something special with its inclusion. The contrast between a child's wish to be somewhere safe where she would be loved and the skirmishes between the government troops and the rebels finally makes the message very clear in the end.
AJackson729Feb 19, 2011
An absolute masterpiece from Guillermo del Toro. A fairy tale movie for adults, this movie is perfectly done and brilliantly acted. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while at the same timeAn absolute masterpiece from Guillermo del Toro. A fairy tale movie for adults, this movie is perfectly done and brilliantly acted. You'll be mesmerized by the wonders of the fairy tale world that Ofelia dives into while at the same time shocked and terrified of the the reality she lives in. Please don't be deterred by the fact that the movie is in Spanish, and you'll have to read subtitles. Doing so will cause you to miss out an absolutely incredible film. Expand
MPVahalikSep 7, 2010
One of my favorite films of all time. I will admit that the first time I saw Fauno I jumped a bit. Very dark but very appealing. People just hate it because they can't read the subtitles.
triptychOct 9, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pans Labyrinth is a masterpiece of cinematic imagination. If one can't see the good in this film (and at the moment theres a 105 of you) then I commiserate with how you feel about the world. The most uplifting, disturbing, poignant, enchanting and mesmerising fairytale of all time- without doubt in my mind. Guillermo Del Toro is a true master. Expand
BShea423Mar 20, 2011
Fantastic movie. The stories of the war and the fairy tale going on in the middle blend very well, and the movie is worth reading (if you don't speak spanish). Very well acted and directed.
FatalExcursionApr 20, 2011
Both haunting and strangely alluring with its stunning atmosphere of fantasy and ominous mystery, the innocence of Pan and the terrifying events that unfold around her in both realms of her life provide a journey for the imagination that isBoth haunting and strangely alluring with its stunning atmosphere of fantasy and ominous mystery, the innocence of Pan and the terrifying events that unfold around her in both realms of her life provide a journey for the imagination that is epic, but full of horror and sorrow that is woven into this majestic tale that is a modern classic that will stand the test of time. Expand
SachiNov 17, 2011
Pan's Labyrinth is a good movie, it is creative, thrilling and entertaining. The dark twist to this movie is very well appreciated. The plot is great and visually dazzling, sure to keep you hooked and the acting is very good too. ThePan's Labyrinth is a good movie, it is creative, thrilling and entertaining. The dark twist to this movie is very well appreciated. The plot is great and visually dazzling, sure to keep you hooked and the acting is very good too. The creatures in the movie and scary and tense moments are very well played out. There are not really any flaws with the story other than maybe some tiny missteps but other than that it's good. Overall Pan's Labyrinth is a great movie that presents a great story while bringing much maturity, suspense, and entertainment to the fairy tale. Breakdown of "Pan's Labyrinth": Presentation: 9.7, Plot: 9.5, Acting: 9.8, Dialogue: 9.9, Lasting Apppeal: 9.6. Score: 9.7 out of 10 "Amazing" Expand
Alexander_FredDec 18, 2011
Beautiful, magical, visceral, disturbing. These are only a few words of many that can describe Pan's Labyrinth. By far, it is one of the greatest fantasy films of all time that parallels two stories, one realistic, the other fantastic, andBeautiful, magical, visceral, disturbing. These are only a few words of many that can describe Pan's Labyrinth. By far, it is one of the greatest fantasy films of all time that parallels two stories, one realistic, the other fantastic, and merges them together so that they end with ultimately the same message: Continue to dream and your dream will come true, even if only for yourself and even if only in death. Expand
DoehlApr 21, 2012
Guillermo del Toro creates a contrast between two worlds and a dazzling look at both war and a girl's way of coping with the horrors of her surroundings.
TrebluApr 13, 2012
This is a real movie. All movies should be like this.
BasaureHDec 19, 2012
A wonderful journey, though cruel and perverse. The first time I watched it I couldn't but feel overwhelmed by the performances, specially Ofelia and Vidal. The visuals are simply astounding, and the storytelling, captivating. This movie willA wonderful journey, though cruel and perverse. The first time I watched it I couldn't but feel overwhelmed by the performances, specially Ofelia and Vidal. The visuals are simply astounding, and the storytelling, captivating. This movie will endure in the hearts and souls of everyone who watched it, whether you love it or hate it. Expand
Nesbitt10Feb 8, 2013
Acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy", "The Devil's Backbone"), creates one of the most exciting and visually stunning adult-themed fables ever. "Pan's Labyrinth" is one of the cinema's great fantasies--rich with darkness andAcclaimed director Guillermo del Toro ("Hellboy", "The Devil's Backbone"), creates one of the most exciting and visually stunning adult-themed fables ever. "Pan's Labyrinth" is one of the cinema's great fantasies--rich with darkness and wonder. It's a fairy tale of such potency and grandeur, that it reconnects the adult imagination to our primal thrill, and horror stories that held us spellbound as children. As gruesome and brutal as it is enchanting and spellbinding--"Pan's Labyrinth" is a movie intended for adults. It is a harsh, uncompromising film--but equally just as beautiful and moving."Pan's Labyrinth" is itself a narrative maze, with multiple stories that branch apart and back together again. This dark fairy tale plays out against the backdrop of Spain in 1944. A monstrous Fascist captain (López) is determined to flush out soldiers of the resistance, as his pregnant wife arrives at his countryside headquarters with her young daughter. The young girl Ofelia (Baquero), escapes the brutality of her new environment by drifting into a fantasy world where she comes across a mysterious faun. The faun tells her that she is a princess from a kingdom in the underground. The faun also tells that her that her father is waiting for her, but she needs to accomplish three challenging and dangerous assignments first. Ofelia's challenges do not arise like arbitrary plot obstacles--they are organic to her (and the movie's) development. She learns not only to follow instructions--and that there are heavy prices to pay for failing to abide by them. But also to trust her own instincts about what is right and wrong. In order to find her true self, she must also find the her inner-strength to break the rules imposed by authority. An individual conscience. What could be a more powerful anti-fascist weapon than that?
In a dark, harsh, and violent world, Ofelia lives in her magical world trying to survive her tasks and see her father again. Soon, the line between fantasy and reality begins to blur, and before Ofelia can turn back, she finds herself at the center of the ferocious battle between Good and Evil. Incredibly unique fable that blends fantasy and fearsome violence, ultimately merging the two stories together. Superbly realized--a rare film that invites repeated viewings to fully absorb all that writer-director del Toro has put into it. Oscar winner for Cinematography, Makeup, and Art Direction.
HaithamBayazeedFeb 16, 2013
Magical is not enough to describe the feeling while watching "Pan's Labyrinth" words can not explain how much wonder this movie contains, it is my favorite movie of all time, exquisite, spectacular, dark, mysterious, sad, thrilling, all inMagical is not enough to describe the feeling while watching "Pan's Labyrinth" words can not explain how much wonder this movie contains, it is my favorite movie of all time, exquisite, spectacular, dark, mysterious, sad, thrilling, all in all, in one movie, which is so underrated, twisted, original, horrific, beautiful and the most important word which is not enough...MASTERPIECE! Expand
QuixsilverFeb 18, 2013
"Pan's Labyrinth" by Guillermo del Toro is a beautiful yet grim film about the fairy-tale-like story of a child set during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo del Toro brings out the wonder of childhood innocence while"Pan's Labyrinth" by Guillermo del Toro is a beautiful yet grim film about the fairy-tale-like story of a child set during the troubled times of the Spanish Civil War. Guillermo del Toro brings out the wonder of childhood innocence while juxtaposing it to the harsh realities found in desperate times. It is a twisted fairy-tale that is shown aesthetically well and is told through the imaginative perspective of a child making fantasies to overcome struggles and tragedies. Del Toro's visual masterpiece is both plot and character driven and this combined with its dark themes make it an adult's fairy-tale that is easily toys with your emotions. Lovers of bittersweet endings will truly enjoy this film and even after the film is over; it continues to linger in your mind and may incite even further discussion. Expand
ViolettApr 22, 2013
This is the most dark and brutal fantasy film I ever saw, even better than Sleeping Hollow. Amazing movie, I was chained to monitor from beginning to the end. Incredible precision and attention to details. Watch this if you dare.
EpiclukoJul 9, 2013
It would be an understatement to say that this movie is even somewhat enjoyable. It is without a doubt one of the greatest fantasy films I have ever seen.
Guillermo del Toro has knocked this gem out of the park with amazingly horrific
Guillermo del Toro has knocked this gem out of the park with amazingly horrific visuals, fantastic performances, outstanding intricacy all surrounded around a beautifully intelligent script.
If you are looking for a darker, maturer version of Alice in Wonderland, I couldn't recommend this film more strongly. This is the Citizen Kane of the fantasy genre. Check it out and experience the awe and enchantment of Pan's Labyrinth!
MichaelN.Jan 20, 2007
I think this was an allegory about the rebirth of Spain after the Franco years. I lived in the country in the '80s and what happened after Franco died was born in the years this movie takes place. It's too much to go into here, but I think this was an allegory about the rebirth of Spain after the Franco years. I lived in the country in the '80s and what happened after Franco died was born in the years this movie takes place. It's too much to go into here, but it seems to fit very well. Expand
SamB.Jul 20, 2008
A very entertaining movie with some violence and a fantastic fairy tale central story.
SherryB.Feb 18, 2007
I loved this movie one of the best I've seen in a long time, not for small children though this is a film for adults, I think alot of people forget that this is set in a period where times were tough and you have to work to survive. I loved this movie one of the best I've seen in a long time, not for small children though this is a film for adults, I think alot of people forget that this is set in a period where times were tough and you have to work to survive. Highly recommened. Expand
AliceM.Jul 11, 2008
The most beautiful and shocking film I've ever seen. It's incredibly imaginative, with a perfect mixture of fantasy and reality interwoven. I can't really fault it. I was genuinely moved by it, it even got me crying. If The most beautiful and shocking film I've ever seen. It's incredibly imaginative, with a perfect mixture of fantasy and reality interwoven. I can't really fault it. I was genuinely moved by it, it even got me crying. If you're feeling strong enough for some very serious cinema, I highly recommend it. Expand
AdrianB.Feb 10, 2009
The only movie you need to see before you die
JRMMJan 3, 2010
Few movies are perfect: Pan's Labyrinth is one of the perfect ones. Truly one of the greatest fantasy films ever made. Among my top 20 favorite films of all time.
RebeccaJan 15, 2007
This movie wasn't what I was expecting coming into it. I did not read up on the movie because I did not want the plot spoiled, so I missed the part where it said it was subtitled. I do not mind subtitles, but was not expecting it for This movie wasn't what I was expecting coming into it. I did not read up on the movie because I did not want the plot spoiled, so I missed the part where it said it was subtitled. I do not mind subtitles, but was not expecting it for this movie. Other than that I really enjoyed the plot and the visual effects. It was shocking, gritty and had me on the edge of my seat. I will be buying this movie when it comes out on DVD. Expand