Paranormal Activity 4

4.6

1. Oct 22, 2012
    The scares were there, cheesy dialogue in parts, but that finale was intense. This was my favorite film out of the four movies so far, and with the Facebook campaign centering around Jacob DeGloshi for PA5, it makes it even more eerie.
  2. Feb 21, 2013
    best paranormal activity movie yet, they were all amazing actors/actresses i would definitely want them to make a sequel! everything was amazing about this movie. it made me jump throughout the whole movie so i think bravo to the directors! and it is 100% worth watching so! yeah watch it BEST ONE YET!
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    This movie was crazy scary i was physically shaking holding my computer the end BOOM!!!!! Right in your face demon this movie is terrifying but otherwise one of the coolest horror movies of all time i don't know why everybody hates it its so awesome i recommend for people who like a scary horror movie BUT Not for kids thirteen and under the last 5:30 seconds are really intense
  4. Oct 18, 2012
    The film also follows its mysterious history, however, was one of the best movies between the three, with more frightening scenes, and with a final horrific, does not believe in the note on which gave, pra who liked until now you will appreciate this last.
  5. Oct 21, 2012
    First, I mean it's the worst movie of all 4 parts, but it's still a good movie. It has so many scares as in other movies paranormal activity. In the movie there are scenes in which you'll be amazed. I recommend it to fans of the movie.
  6. Oct 24, 2012
    I have never seen any other Paranormal Actvity films before but seein this is making me watch the other three. Its cary the first hour then you sort of know what to expect. I mean maybe when I see all the films the might be the same but until then good movie. Paranormal Activity 7.1/10
  7. Oct 28, 2012
    I am a huge fan of the paranormal activity movies. This one in my opinion is my 3rd favorite one. Saying this i do not mean it was bad, it was actually good, all of them are good. I just believe that the 3rd and 1st were better, while the 2nd wasn't better. The end of this was very well done. It was a scary movie to watch in theaters.
  8. Feb 21, 2013
    The jumpiest Paranormal Activity yet! Paranormal Activity 4 delivers a lot of jump scares and new features, such as: the kinnect, phones and computer camera. However, the other Paranormal Activities are creepy and gripping whereas this one just go straight for jump scares, if you like more of a "you're going to have a nightmare" type of film then this is not for you!

7/10 for jump

7/10 for jump scares and interesting new features.
  9. Feb 22, 2013
    i'm a great fan of paranormal activity 1 and 2, and this one is okay. the screenplay is the worst of the saga, but it has a lot of horror. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  10. Mar 20, 2015
    Paranormal Activity 4 is a movie that will primarily be enjoyed by die-hard fans of the franchise, and I can safely say that I am one of those people. By now, you pretty much know what to expect, but this entry does have quite a few tricks up its sleeve. Unlike the first 3 films, where most of the activity occurs while the characters are sleeping, most of the supernatural stuff happensParanormal Activity 4 is a movie that will primarily be enjoyed by die-hard fans of the franchise, and I can safely say that I am one of those people. By now, you pretty much know what to expect, but this entry does have quite a few tricks up its sleeve. Unlike the first 3 films, where most of the activity occurs while the characters are sleeping, most of the supernatural stuff happens during the daytime while the protagonist is home alone. This does strike a bit of a different fear because for some reason, houses are always scarier when you're home alone. Another thing that makes this movie stand out is the "Kinect cam", which displays hundreds of little dots across the living room when all the lights turn off due to the infrared This makes for some really subtle scares that you might not completely catch on the first viewing. The scares are inconsistent mostly due to the fact that there are quite a few fake-outs in the first half of the film (cat jumping in front of the camera, book falling, etc.), but when the scares work, they're really effective. It's certainly not a high point in the franchise, but it's still a reasonably fun and sometimes scary movie. Expand
  11. Jan 8, 2015
    for some reason when we saw the first paranormal: activity movie i felt this movie was full of dumb-idiotic characters that were trying to kill themselves. Writer/director/ editor/cinematographer of the first paranormal activity Oren Peli, the creator of this franschise tries to pull of lame effects that we can tell is fake but the movie pulls it off so well. Paranormal 4 is a movie itfor some reason when we saw the first paranormal: activity movie i felt this movie was full of dumb-idiotic characters that were trying to kill themselves. Writer/director/ editor/cinematographer of the first paranormal activity Oren Peli, the creator of this franschise tries to pull of lame effects that we can tell is fake but the movie pulls it off so well. Paranormal 4 is a movie it has characters that yet again try to get themselves killed. I found this film scary (well its a paranormal activity its gonna be full of jump scares!) but it's ok this gets interested but it's the same movie again again again and again! the series should end here. Grade 1.3 D Expand
  12. Oct 18, 2012
    If you are a fan of the series, you are either going to love this film or hate it. Paranormal Activity 4 has no source of scares what so ever (even no jumpscares) and the film also lacks any paranormal activity at all, it's more of a quasi-slasher film. The film is also quite suspenseful though and will even shock you at parts. The film's writing is horrible; it doesn't explain anything,If you are a fan of the series, you are either going to love this film or hate it. Paranormal Activity 4 has no source of scares what so ever (even no jumpscares) and the film also lacks any paranormal activity at all, it's more of a quasi-slasher film. The film is also quite suspenseful though and will even shock you at parts. The film's writing is horrible; it doesn't explain anything, the characters are quite dumb, there are even plot holes too...and the ending, I honestly do not know what to say about the ending. The ending is ridiculous, over-the-top and utterly outrageous and will certainly leave viewers saying "What the hell!" and will leave fans furious. In the end, Paranormal Activity 4 is humourous and violent entertaining that is highly flawed and will certainly divide fans due to it's love-it-or-hate-it presentation. Also stay after the end credits, there is a surprise. Expand
  13. Oct 20, 2012
    For 85 minutes I thought this was going to be nothing but jump scares and classic cliche story points. But I kid you not the final two minutes of this movie made me jump and the hair on my legs stand up it was so scary. And I am a straight 18 year old college male. If you see it in a crowded theater around Halloween with friends, its great fun. Otherwise I'm not sure you'll really get theFor 85 minutes I thought this was going to be nothing but jump scares and classic cliche story points. But I kid you not the final two minutes of this movie made me jump and the hair on my legs stand up it was so scary. And I am a straight 18 year old college male. If you see it in a crowded theater around Halloween with friends, its great fun. Otherwise I'm not sure you'll really get the full effect. Expand
  14. Oct 21, 2012
    This was not so bad,it used IMAX well and it delivered a lot of scary moments.But there is not anything new in the Paranormal Activity universe since the second one.
  15. Jun 4, 2013
    "While not quite on par with the first two Paranormal Activities, its was better than the third installment though. Its not gonna give you nightmares, but it does have some tense buildups and a pretty good finale, although i wish it was better." B-
  16. Jun 10, 2013
    of course it was better than the two first movies and worse than the third one. However, I liked that film because there was not again that boring family. The last scene was really frightening and the whole movie is fine.
  17. Oct 21, 2012
    I almost wish the whole thing would've continued without any of the paranormal activity occurring. More than any of the previous installments, the characters are so likable here, you actually care what happens to them. All of the performances are terrific and the script is pretty solid dialogue-wise. Unfortunately, it isn't scary at all, and that is the point, right?
  18. Oct 23, 2012
    I've always been a supporter of the PA series, even through all the haters and what not. But I really didn't like PA 4. It was a lot of the same, but really most painful of all, it didn't explain much of anything. I would like to say that the ending redeems the movie, but it doesn't fully. It's an action packed 10-15 minute ending but it isn't enough to redeem the whole movie.
  19. Jan 18, 2013
    Not a bad film if you're watching it in the dark at home (not the cinema with screaming kids) but it feels like a bit of a cash-in more than anything else. Sure, it'll make you jump a few times and may even get you in that weird paranoid state for the rest of the night, but it's hard to ignore how unnatural and forced the handheld camera footage often feels, and the fact that threeNot a bad film if you're watching it in the dark at home (not the cinema with screaming kids) but it feels like a bit of a cash-in more than anything else. Sure, it'll make you jump a few times and may even get you in that weird paranoid state for the rest of the night, but it's hard to ignore how unnatural and forced the handheld camera footage often feels, and the fact that three quarters of the movie centers around obnoxious teenagers. As I said, it's not bad, but it's nothing on the first Paranormal Activity and certainly doesn't warrant the planned fifth installment. Expand
  20. Mar 3, 2013
    The performances were good and the story was fine. The only problem is that there was no real paranormal activity up until the last 20 minutes of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  21. Mar 10, 2013
    Paranormal Activity 4 does not advance the story much at all, making it the worst of the series. I liked the first two and the third one at least advanced the story. It's not awful, but you can probably skip part 4 and still pick the series up in part 5 and not miss a beat.
  22. Apr 18, 2013
    A big disappointment for horror movie fans! There's one thing I hate about this year's installment: false advertising. When the poster and trailer came out with taglines saying that "all will be revealed" and "all the activity has led to this", I was actually excited to see this film. But after watching it at the cinema, I felt like I wasted my time and money. "Paranormal Activity 4" willA big disappointment for horror movie fans! There's one thing I hate about this year's installment: false advertising. When the poster and trailer came out with taglines saying that "all will be revealed" and "all the activity has led to this", I was actually excited to see this film. But after watching it at the cinema, I felt like I wasted my time and money. "Paranormal Activity 4" will leave you unsatisfied with an unresolved cliffhanger, very slow scenes, and lots of cheap scares. The acting was not good especially from Kathryn Newton and their reason for filming wasn't pretty convincing. Also, I'm disgusted that the series is starting to utilize CGI effects which ruins the movie's atmosphere. In a brighter scale, the methods for capturing the activity were smart just like its predecessors and there are "some" scenes that frightened me a little bit.

Overall: This is definitely not the best one in the franchise. I just think that the series has to end now. They can't just keep convincing us to watch it every year just like the Saw series. I actually prefer the 3rd part to be the finale because it answered all the questions we needed.
  23. Jan 18, 2015
    Paranormal Activity 4 is a 2012 American supernatural horror film, directed by Ariel Schulman and Henry Joost, directors of Paranormal Activity 3, and written by Christopher Landon from a story by Chad Feehan. The film features Katie Featherston, who starred in the first film, and had cameos in the other two.
  24. Mar 17, 2015
    Paranormal Activity 4 isn't that scary, but it's very suspenseful. It gives the franchise a modern twist without overdoing it, something that most modern horror movies fail at. Perfect for sleepovers!
  25. Nov 24, 2015
    Decent horror film in that specific genre of movies, some creepy moments, a bit of tension and suspense, but at that point in the franchise, you what will happen and when... You sure will find some frightening moments, but overall it is a movie tired of trying.
  26. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My favorite line came just after the movie ended: "This movie's gonna make me afraid of white women...." which made me and the woman who said it burst out laughing. It's a slightly different take on the series, but this fourth installment is not NEARLY as scary as the first two. The third was just bizarre - especially the ending. There's a shot at the very end of this film that's disturbing, but still not all that scary. I just felt there were so many opportunities for scares using the new filming conventions that they didn't exploit (video chat, the Kinect sensor, etc). And the car / carbon monoxide sequence was WAY too much like a hundred other horror films, which depressed me a bit. So yes, it was a pedestrian effort, but I did have fun with the opening night crowd which was properly amped up, so I'll stick with the four. The true test of how much of an affect a horror movie has had on me is whether I"m freaked out walking up the dark staircase in my place afterwards . In this case? Not freaked out at all. Bum deal. Expand
  27. Oct 20, 2012
    Short and simple this is the worst of the PA films. I enjoyed the first 3 for the most part as well, but here there are so many plot holes and very few scares until the final few moments of the film. There's some interesting ideas at play throughout the film too, particularly the garage scene and the finale. I really wanted to enjoy this film but I ended up annoyed and underwhelmed when IShort and simple this is the worst of the PA films. I enjoyed the first 3 for the most part as well, but here there are so many plot holes and very few scares until the final few moments of the film. There's some interesting ideas at play throughout the film too, particularly the garage scene and the finale. I really wanted to enjoy this film but I ended up annoyed and underwhelmed when I left the theater. Expand
  28. Oct 20, 2012
    I saw Paranormal Activity 4 tonight and... it wasn't that very good. I still love the Paranormal Activity movies, all 3 of them. But Part 4 feels like "Paranormal Activity 2" all over again. It feels a bit strange on why a fond footage movie could get any more sequels instead of one. There's nothing new in Paranormal Activity 4. Same characters, different dialogue, but wasted a lot of timeI saw Paranormal Activity 4 tonight and... it wasn't that very good. I still love the Paranormal Activity movies, all 3 of them. But Part 4 feels like "Paranormal Activity 2" all over again. It feels a bit strange on why a fond footage movie could get any more sequels instead of one. There's nothing new in Paranormal Activity 4. Same characters, different dialogue, but wasted a lot of time to scare audiences. I totally agree with the negative feedback and I don't think Paranormal Activity should not get a 5th installment. I think the franchise is fading away. Expand
  29. Jan 30, 2013
    This movie is a good example why movies should be left at just one. In my opinion, it is the worst yet, with absolutely no story present to speak of, one-dimensional characters, and more of the same old things. As a fan of the series (perhaps ex-fan now), I was really looking forward to this film, hoping it would redeem itself, after the awful attempt 3 made of saving the series. TheThis movie is a good example why movies should be left at just one. In my opinion, it is the worst yet, with absolutely no story present to speak of, one-dimensional characters, and more of the same old things. As a fan of the series (perhaps ex-fan now), I was really looking forward to this film, hoping it would redeem itself, after the awful attempt 3 made of saving the series. The cheap scares and long camera takes are evidently getting old, with more people switching off. In terms of plot, I was eager to see how the main plot line of the previous installment would continue, only to be disappointed with more questions than answers by the end of the movie. My only hope is that the franchise will end sooner rather than later, no doubt in the traditional way of cutting any chance of a plot in the movie short. Although scoring it a 4 is poetic justice, I do believe it is quite a generous score, given the material. Expand
  30. Feb 1, 2013
    "Paranormal Activity 4" is easily the weakest yet in the series, lacking much of the innovation and fresh tactics of its predecessors and posing none of the answers it promises to deliver. This sequel was marketed to shed some light on the last movie's plot mess of a conclusion, but instead only gives us the same questions after 90 minutes of old hat sound effects, jump scares, and failed"Paranormal Activity 4" is easily the weakest yet in the series, lacking much of the innovation and fresh tactics of its predecessors and posing none of the answers it promises to deliver. This sequel was marketed to shed some light on the last movie's plot mess of a conclusion, but instead only gives us the same questions after 90 minutes of old hat sound effects, jump scares, and failed attempts at keeping the formula fresh. I'll give the film credit for its use of webcam surveillance, which although is likely not possible under these circumstances, does give us some new perspectives apart from the tired handheld video. But setpieces like a certain kitchen knife and the XBox Kinect are promising lodes of suspense cut short of their full potential, and the characters range from likeable (the main chick) to barely present and mostly moronic (the parents). It just feels more like the hollow shell of a "Paranormal Activity" movie, rather than what we've grown used to over the past films so much so that, unless the next sequel proves otherwise, this franchise has likely proved itself to have already passed its prime. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Oct 24, 2012
    This is one horror franchise that's burned itself out, and then some – not even the rare shock cuts to nothing much at all will startle anyone over the age of 8.
  2. Reviewed by: Chuck Wilson
    Oct 20, 2012
    Screenwriter Christopher Landon, along with co-directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman, make a truly lame attempt at establishing a supernatural mythology to explain all this, but their real energies go to amping up the jarring sound cues, darting shadows, and last-shot shocker (so goofily weird this time that you'll laugh out loud) that make this franchise a perennial crowd-pleaser.
  3. Reviewed by: Ben Kenigsberg
    Oct 20, 2012
    Apart from a hi-def night-vision gimmick, returning directors Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman don't take advantage of either upgrade.