5.8

1. Feb 15, 2011
    Well it take me some time to decide to watch this film, i was warn by my friends not to take the risk but i decided to watch it . And was terrible, i dont know who the hell think that this film is scary... i think that it should be called not "paranormal activity" but "invisible man is crazy" because thats all.......Now i know what to except from Paranormal Activity 2.... NOTHING....BORING
  2. Jul 24, 2011
    The first time I dozed off was after eight minutes, Then at intervals of about five minutes. The problem with this movie is that there is absolutely no story, no meaningful dialogue, just nonsense banter all the time. The bad audio makes it really hard to understand. What a disappointment...
  3. Jan 23, 2015
    The word "horror" seems to be tossed around a lot in these times. If you are looking for thrill, suspense, emotion, and gut-busting excitement, just buy a laser toy for your cat instead.
  4. SarahM
    Oct 16, 2009
    Anyone rating this movie about a 5 has something wrong with them. I'm sorry, but this movie was SO over hyped. I even tried to FORCE myself to be scared. And believe me, if it was the least scary, I would have been scared. Interesting CONCEPT, but beyond that, nothing. Kudos for the producers for creating so much B.S. hype!
  5. JoeyA
    Oct 15, 2009
    One of the worst movies of all time. It dragged on for what seemed like an eternity and every time they would get back in bed I was praying for it to be the last scene and finally end. There is absolutely no plot, a few things are thrown in here and there to make you believe it is heading somewhere and then totally forgotten. One of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while, One of the worst movies of all time. It dragged on for what seemed like an eternity and every time they would get back in bed I was praying for it to be the last scene and finally end. There is absolutely no plot, a few things are thrown in here and there to make you believe it is heading somewhere and then totally forgotten. One of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while, don't waste your time or money with this one, it sucks ! Expand
  6. ChicoSuave
    Oct 31, 2009
    this movie totally sucks. i cant believe the hype. i would never spend top dollar on this piece of crap EVER. it was just a bunch of "omg, the ghost...i think." then it's like "f this and f that". so stupid. its like that saying curiousity kills the cat, except in this case curiosity takes your money. dont spend your money, its not worth it.
  7. Eric
    Oct 10, 2009
    This movie is slow moving, low budget version of the Blair Witch Project. Let down on all levels... Save your money. This movie is a rental at best.
  8. BillF.
    Dec 30, 2009
    worst movie I've ever seen in my whole life!!!!! do not waste your time and money!!! totally not scary, nothing happened literally the whole movie! incredibly bad.
  9. CarlosS
    Dec 5, 2009
    I can't believe there is people who thought this was scary. It was so boring! There was really nothing scary about this at all.
  10. unclepual
    Oct 29, 2009
    The trailer contains all the action of the film. Nothing happens. And then some boring predictable stuff does. Nothing is ever explained. Some spookiness thoughout by ghosties. The film is never scary nor good. Many parts are laughable Recommended for those who believe in hauntings and the paranormal. The rest can see it when it hits Red Box.
  11. BenC.
    Jan 10, 2010
    I was incredibly disappointed. After reading all the hype, I thought the movie might actually be scary, but instead I saw lots of garbage camera work, whispering voices, and loud bangs. Probably the worst movie I've seen in a long time, and certainly the least scary.
  12. RobbR.
    Jan 1, 2010
    Over hyped! What a waste of money to own, renting is bad enough!
  13. RupertL
    Jan 3, 2010
    It was absolutely horrifying. You walk out to find the demon has actually replaced the movie with a youtube clip, written and directed by a child, filmed by an epileptic in a nightclub.
  14. ClarenceY
    Jan 6, 2010
    I just laughed at this "scary" movie. I would call this a comedy movie, people really forgot what a true horror movie is!
  15. JT
    Jan 9, 2010
    An okay build up that ultimately leads to a hugely unsatisfying payoff. You know that old saying "Less is more"? In this case, less is less. The characters are probably the most annoying people I've ever seen on film. I wanted them both to die within a half an hour. One of the most disappointing and least scary horror films I have ever seen.
  16. EliJ.
    Nov 1, 2009
    A lot of people from my school said this movie was horrifying. Well, it isn't. First off, half the movie is the two people arguing about the paranormal activity and what to do about it. Second, any real person would leave that house and go to a fucking church to stay for a while. I mean maybe one night of a few weird moments is one thing, but when it happens like 10 time...jesus A lot of people from my school said this movie was horrifying. Well, it isn't. First off, half the movie is the two people arguing about the paranormal activity and what to do about it. Second, any real person would leave that house and go to a fucking church to stay for a while. I mean maybe one night of a few weird moments is one thing, but when it happens like 10 time...jesus there is so many goddamn things wrong with this movie. The only scary part was the thought that a piece of worthless shit like this could even hit the big screen. Expand
  17. DavidB
    Sooo boring.
  18. ZaraC
    Nov 6, 2009
    I thought this was a laughably bad movie. The acting was unbelievable from the beginning and the 'youtube' element of the movie fell flat on its face. 90% of this movie is just tedious mind numbing set up to an anti climax. None of it is scary, nor tense, just irritating.
  19. PaulS
    Oct 17, 2009
    I'm not a huge fan of this genre in the first place, but like many others I was bored. I also thought it predictable, and this without having much base in scary movies. I would have left if I could. My girlfriend on the other hand loved it. Maybe it was the depiction of an unsympathetic macho jerk that she liked.
  20. ChristianJ
    Nov 8, 2009
    PA is extremely over-hyped, it didnt even scare 1 time. When i saw this movie I was hoping to be scared s*****ss but it really didnt scare me has "Blair Witch Project" did .. I dont recommend this movie at all! IT SUCKS! (the 1 is because the couple in the movie acted really good throught the film).
  21. ArmondW.
    Oct 19, 2009
    OMG really??? Why did we fall for this movie? Why are we insistent on believing something is real just because someone says it? The movie isn't even remotely scary! Of the hour and forty minutes it takes from you, only five minutes of it is even remotely interesting--FIVE! The movie was mind-crushingly boring. I wanted to stab myself in the throat so I couldn't hear myself OMG really??? Why did we fall for this movie? Why are we insistent on believing something is real just because someone says it? The movie isn't even remotely scary! Of the hour and forty minutes it takes from you, only five minutes of it is even remotely interesting--FIVE! The movie was mind-crushingly boring. I wanted to stab myself in the throat so I couldn't hear myself scream, not because I was scared, but because I was pissed! One of the worst movies I've seen all year! Expand
  22. MichelleH
    Nov 9, 2009
    By the time you get to the "scary parts," you're impatient, exhausted, frustrated and laughing at yourself for believing all the effing hype.
  23. MikeR.
    Oct 19, 2009
    What a complete waste of twenty dollars!!! Go see "Zombieland" if you want something better, or even "Miracle on 34th Street" may scare you more than this loser. Don't waste your time or money on this loser!!! Spread the word! Don't let the producers of this film make more money!!! The critics that have rated this film are all paid to get you to see it. Believe me, the absolute What a complete waste of twenty dollars!!! Go see "Zombieland" if you want something better, or even "Miracle on 34th Street" may scare you more than this loser. Don't waste your time or money on this loser!!! Spread the word! Don't let the producers of this film make more money!!! The critics that have rated this film are all paid to get you to see it. Believe me, the absolute worst film I've ever seen! Expand
  24. VincentM.
    Oct 19, 2009
    If it was a youtube series, 8/9 out of 10. But for it trying to pass as a full blown movie? 0/10 - I was bored out of my mind for the 90 minutes I sat there. I didn't know if people were actually screaming in terror or trying to make the movie some what exciting. Don't expect much, $15,000 dollar budget or not, they shouldn't be making 30 million+ off of it. Wait for it on If it was a youtube series, 8/9 out of 10. But for it trying to pass as a full blown movie? 0/10 - I was bored out of my mind for the 90 minutes I sat there. I didn't know if people were actually screaming in terror or trying to make the movie some what exciting. Don't expect much, $15,000 dollar budget or not, they shouldn't be making 30 million+ off of it. Wait for it on DVD or don't bother. It was pathetic, specially with everyone thinking it was real footage or based on real events. It was based on dramatized events of weird noises and objects moving months apart. Thanks for horrible experience and wasting my time and money. Expand
  25. FrankH.
    Oct 21, 2009
    What a complete waste of money!!! Don't waste your time or money on this film!!! Believe me, the absolute worst film I've ever seen. If only I could ask for my money back from the theater I would.
  26. MIckiM
    Oct 20, 2009
    Do not waste your time or money...scifi channel has scarier stuff!!
  27. LesD.
    Oct 20, 2009
    One of the worst films I have ever seen. I was very hyped for this movie, and haven't been this disappointed since the first Saw. First off this movie is in no way scary it was suspenseful but it lead nowhere. You sit there for the entire movie wanting to be scared, waiting for it, and it never happens. It was tremendously boring, after a while the suspense is gone and the bumps just One of the worst films I have ever seen. I was very hyped for this movie, and haven't been this disappointed since the first Saw. First off this movie is in no way scary it was suspenseful but it lead nowhere. You sit there for the entire movie wanting to be scared, waiting for it, and it never happens. It was tremendously boring, after a while the suspense is gone and the bumps just get old. The final twenty minutes I was sitting there calling exactly what was going to happen next with perfect detail. People were leaving the theater laughing or complaining, NO ONE was scared. Terrible waste of an evening. Just because it was different then you're average slasher or haunted house flick doesn't mean it was better, just one hour and forty minutes of boring, predictable, garbage. Expand
  28. DylanB.
    Dec 30, 2009
    Terrible!!! Out of the 100 minutes about 15-20 minutes actually give you a slight tingle. 30 seconds freaks you out. Its one of those movies that you could go to with your girlfriend to get her to snuggle up. Then you make out for the rest of the film.
  29. CharlieH
    Oct 25, 2009
    This movie gets a three from me just because they were somehow able to get it in theatres. The hype is all there, but the movie just can't seem to catch up to it. I say all this as a skeptic in the first place, but I enjoy horror movies overall (Blair Witch Project and the similar Japanese film Noroi being two of my favorites.) That being said, if you're not on the "Ghost This movie gets a three from me just because they were somehow able to get it in theatres. The hype is all there, but the movie just can't seem to catch up to it. I say all this as a skeptic in the first place, but I enjoy horror movies overall (Blair Witch Project and the similar Japanese film Noroi being two of my favorites.) That being said, if you're not on the "Ghost Hunters" bandwagon, I'd recommend not wasting your time. The concept is interesting, but it lead up to almost nothing. I literally fell asleep about an hour in, woken only by my girlfriend when the "climax" was hitting its stride, if it could even be called that. If you're into ghost chasing TV shows and taking pictures of dust you can later call "orbs," then this film should satisfy. For those of us in the real world, it can hardly be considered a film. Expand
  30. Gaz
    Oct 28, 2009
    This was a really bad movie, yes it takes 1 and half hours for someone 2 die then the movie ends. It was not worth me even going for free. Pay me next time please.
  31. Terenceb
    Oct 29, 2009
    Extremely slow and boring. i dont know why this scares so many people. This was THE most predictable horror movie I've ever seen. That as well as it being highly unrealistic, unoriginal, and repetitive, made the movie tedious with a total lack of scares.
  32. NickK
    Oct 31, 2009
    Frankly, I'm disappointed. I spent some time looking into this film before seeing it, and had pretty much figured that all the negative reviews were from the impatient who wanted your typical Hollywood horror film. I had hoped the general critical reception was correct, and I would enjoy a slow-paced, tense horror film. I was very, very wrong. Like so many other reviewers, the main Frankly, I'm disappointed. I spent some time looking into this film before seeing it, and had pretty much figured that all the negative reviews were from the impatient who wanted your typical Hollywood horror film. I had hoped the general critical reception was correct, and I would enjoy a slow-paced, tense horror film. I was very, very wrong. Like so many other reviewers, the main issue is that almost nothing happens. In the entire 1.5 hours, you are treated to some total of 3 minutes of 'the paranormal', and roughly 92 minutes of terribly predictable dialogue, bad acting, and well-beyond-stupid character action. It's a shocking waste of time with little to no horror value at all. Factually, there were roughly 100x more laughs than screams when I saw the film. I'm just surprised nobody walked out on it, as I've heard this is a fairly common occurrence, and I'd be lying if I denied the thought crossed my mind. Expand
  33. criticsRmad
    Oct 30, 2009
    I'm easily scared by scary movies. The Ring left me traumatized for several months. This movie. Nothing. Not scary. Boring. It's great they were able to make this movie on such a small budget, but this isn't even close to the scariest things I've ever seen. Boring.
  34. MostProfitableFilmEver...ForShame
    Jan 10, 2010
    Laughable "acting". Would have helped if the woman was good looking. NO redeeming qualities. Do not watch ever. EVER.
  35. MikeD.
    Jan 1, 2010
    Overrated... not scary at all, I wish they had gone all the way with the idea instead of just toying around with a few minor thrills.
  36. MarissaN
    Nov 12, 2009
    I was really hoping for a scary movie - and this was so not it. An attempt some sort of Blair-Witch style "real footage" movie. The story line was based more on the couple arguing than paranormal activity - which takes up about 10 minutes combined MAX throught the entire movie. Not scarey - not eventful - and real footage? don't kid yourself. and don't waste your money.
  37. TannerW
    Nov 2, 2009
    Don't believe the hype for this movie at all. Completely boring from start to finish. So terrible, and even laughable at certain "scary moments" Skip it all together.
  38. EdwardM
    Nov 22, 2009
    This was an amazingly overrated and overhyped film. I can't imagine any thinkiing person over 25 liking this. It's a film school project for someone who was blown away by the Blair Witch Project when they were 14. I kept telling my wife who was asleep at this screening at 5:15:26 pm on November 22nd, that there was going to be a payoff. There was too much buzz for there not to This was an amazingly overrated and overhyped film. I can't imagine any thinkiing person over 25 liking this. It's a film school project for someone who was blown away by the Blair Witch Project when they were 14. I kept telling my wife who was asleep at this screening at 5:15:26 pm on November 22nd, that there was going to be a payoff. There was too much buzz for there not to be a payoff. Trust me-there's no payoff. That the American movie going public thought this was great-including some national critics- is a symptom of the dumbing down of America. It was the equivalent of all the adults who heard Sarah Palin open her mouth back in November and thought she was commander in chief material. Expand
  39. ChrisP
    Nov 2, 2009
    I gave this movie one point because my sister's ghost-believing friend thought it was really scary, so I guess maybe other people who believe in ghosts will like this too. The two main characters do absolutely nothing to fix their problem, which makes for a really boring film. The ending to this movie is probably the biggest insult to the audience I've ever seen, and isn't I gave this movie one point because my sister's ghost-believing friend thought it was really scary, so I guess maybe other people who believe in ghosts will like this too. The two main characters do absolutely nothing to fix their problem, which makes for a really boring film. The ending to this movie is probably the biggest insult to the audience I've ever seen, and isn't worth the 90 minutes of "building up." I wish I had burned my $10 bill and spent my hour and a half staring at a brick wall; it wouldn't be more enjoyable but at least that way the filmmakers wouldn't have gotten money for this piece of crap. Expand
  40. Tonda
    Oct 13, 2009
    Boring!..If you are a fan of scary movies...don't even waste your time or money....I was very disappointed!!! I
  41. MarkC.
    Oct 17, 2009
    I FEEL FOR THE HYPE. A few noises in the house does not make this a scary movie. Come on people if you thing this was scary have you seen the Exorcist, The Omen, Nightmare on Elm Street now those were scary. I guess the demonologist could not show up because that would throw their budget WELL over the top...... FIVE people to pay.
  42. KatieG.
    Oct 18, 2009
    Worst movie of the year. I want a refund. In fact, I want the 2 hours of my life back spent on this garbage.
  43. DanM.
    Oct 16, 2009
    Movie is a ripoff, booring lowbudget movie,worst movie I have ever seen,I don,t get how people rated this movie good?
  44. Oct 12, 2011
    This movie was given a 3 star rating for its comedy. As a horror or thriller movie it fails miserably especially considering we're in 2011. This felt like a movie made that could have been made and become popular in the 90's. This would be useful to a psychology student to watch and see the neurotic behavior of an individual who believes they are being chased by a ghost - but the fact theThis movie was given a 3 star rating for its comedy. As a horror or thriller movie it fails miserably especially considering we're in 2011. This felt like a movie made that could have been made and become popular in the 90's. This would be useful to a psychology student to watch and see the neurotic behavior of an individual who believes they are being chased by a ghost - but the fact the movie was called paranormal activity and had unexplained events - it fail's to even make that category. The only way I can see this movie having had any effect was in a theater with large sound-effects of door's screeching and big bangs. Lagged to an extreme. I have a hard time understanding how this movie became popular or critically acclaimed - now that's paranormal. Expand
  45. Sep 8, 2011
    Pretty bad for a Blair Witch copy. Incredibly boring, poorly acted, downright stupid, and somehow presumes that its audience believes in the occult, and that any of this can actually happen. Blair Witch at least kind of made sense, so its home-video vibe tended to work more often than not; Paranormal Activity makes zero sense, making it stupid. Well, if you don't believe in the occult,Pretty bad for a Blair Witch copy. Incredibly boring, poorly acted, downright stupid, and somehow presumes that its audience believes in the occult, and that any of this can actually happen. Blair Witch at least kind of made sense, so its home-video vibe tended to work more often than not; Paranormal Activity makes zero sense, making it stupid. Well, if you don't believe in the occult, you're going to have a real hard time finding any scares here, as what passes for scary here often amounts to nothing more than a door slamming or some inexplicable footsteps, followed by our two main characters essentially looking at each other and going, "Dude, holy **** and then that's often followed by the girl quite reasonably panicking while her boyfriend makes sure she panics as much as possible in his attempt at a Best Douchebag Oscar. and characters you probably could not care less about. The two people in the house have the depth of a petri dish, and you never have any reason to feel anything for them at all, particularly the boyfriend, who you will want dead. If I were a poltergeist, I'd go straight for him, because well, **** him. But I digress: Nothing that happens here is believable in the slightest, making its home-video theme worthless. You end up with something that's sort of like a video game: Something happens at night that freaks out the girl and/or the guy, they can't find anything (naturally), then the next day they try to "work it out" and talk about it in a way that might make sense if you dropped out of rehab just to see this film, but for everyone else, we're left baffled at their reasoning and "solutions", showing that our protagonists not only are unlikable, but they're also mildly retarded. It goes on like that for about 90 minutes, and then that's it.

Oh, did I talk about the ending? Yeah, if you saw this in theaters or otherwise saw the theatrical ending, prepare for the biggest disappointment since Orbital's "farewell album". What happens is not only something that's been done before and better in Flash webseries (those who've seen it, you know what I mean), and is completely insensible and utterly impossible in every single manner, but they even try to offer an explanation that steps out of the realm of ridiculous and right into the realm of being completely retarded.

There is a little hope, however. You may or may not be aware that there are somewhere between twenty and 1500 alternate endings, all of which are better than the theatrical one. Chances are, you have the edition that includes the one single alternate ending. Do it. This alternate ending they didn't use in theaters, most likely because it made more sense, does in fact make some semblance of sense. It's not perfect, and still doesn't explain much of anything, but it's definitely better than the theatrical ending, and magnitudes more satisfying. Go for it, believe me.

Since you're waiting for the ending during this entire film (for your own personal reason, no doubt), I'll give the alternate ending version a 6. The theatrical version gets a 3. Since I'm not really rating the film on an alternate ending, I have to go with the 3 here. Just keep in mind that you can make it watchable with a little help from the DVD or Blu-ray.
  46. Oct 8, 2010
    While I can see why people found this film scary, this is no where near as frightening as some would have it. There's a lot of not very much happening, the only thrilling scene is the very last one- and there's three of them.
  47. Jun 12, 2011
    Blair Witch 2007! Just as boring and juts as lame. The whole movie is just slow and boring. If I wanted to watch two people sit around and talk I would have just talked to my wife instead of watching this lame movie. The acting in this movie was just horrible. The lead actress Katie Featherson is just unconvincing about 80 percent of the time and the boyfriend Micah Sloat is actually anBlair Witch 2007! Just as boring and juts as lame. The whole movie is just slow and boring. If I wanted to watch two people sit around and talk I would have just talked to my wife instead of watching this lame movie. The acting in this movie was just horrible. The lead actress Katie Featherson is just unconvincing about 80 percent of the time and the boyfriend Micah Sloat is actually an agent for movie so his acting ability is that of a 10 year old. Also the boyfriends actions were not that of a concerned lover but rather a complete and unemotional douche bag... you know like an agent. Just watch the blair witch project instead they are basically the same movie anyway. Expand
  48. Jun 10, 2013
    This movie was lame and bad. The sequels are much better and scarier. This film didn't offer to me nothing and it's a pity as the story is well-written. I think it's similar to the blair witch project. Not a horror film. I don't understand again the critic's reviews
  49. Apr 28, 2014
    A pretty dumd and stupid movie and to me seems like a waste of time. It did scare me but I am not a big horror movie fan so i really didn't enjoy this one. I never really wanted to see it but I ended up watching it anyways. I have never seen any of the other ones and I never plan on watching those ones either.
  50. EstellaH
    Oct 21, 2009
    Boorrriiinnngggg. Now I know why it was a low budget movie ,worst movie i have seen ever.
  51. JohnM
    Oct 20, 2009
    This movie was an utter failure. There was no real terror in the movie. The concept had the potential to be a truly terrifying movie, but it was poorly done and left me bored, so much so that I screamed just to try to make it more interesting.
  52. TDKinDallas
    Oct 22, 2009
    Just not that good. Not interesting. Not scary. Boring ending. There were a couple of okay scenes. If you are going to have to see it anyway then I suggest going drunk when there are a lot of people there like on Friday or Saturday night.
  53. LuluB
    Oct 22, 2009
    I almost fell asleep after 1/2 hour. Most overrated overhyped piece of crap movie of the year. Maybe 5 minutes of creepiness and that's it.
  54. JorgeM.
    Oct 23, 2009
    Wack!!!!! looks like they just gather up Youtube videos and put it in a movie don't waste your money!!!!!!
  55. CariS.
    Oct 24, 2009
    After watching this movie I had to check my pockets because I felt I had been robbed. By far the worst movie ever.
  56. JimB.
    Oct 24, 2009
    The stupid little girls pissed me off, they kept screaming. The last two mins were ok, but nothing else was scary at all. I'm 28 and found it dull and wanting to be scared but it never happen.
  57. Michaelh.
    Oct 24, 2009
    This movie is nothing else as boring. I don´t know what is scary about it - it´s an absurd story which would maybe be scary if camera work was good - but it isn´t because of the home video setting, which sucked. also, no music means for me less atmosphere, it didn't thrill me, it didn't entertain me, it was just annoying! Still 1 point for the idea lol.
  58. MarkL
    Dec 5, 2009
    To be honest, I liked this film and I found it quite entertaining. But really, the only value I got from it is that I found it hilariously funny. As a horror movie, it really, really fails. It is just not scary. At all. I laughed most of the way through, and I'm easily scared by films.
  59. MickiM
    Oct 30, 2009
    The audience was laughing at this joke of a movie. I never heard a scream or sudden intake of breath
  60. DanM
    Oct 30, 2009
    I'm not convinced that this film deserves the title of "Horror Film" as much as "suspense thriller." Just the sheer amount of time it takes this movie to build makes it all but unbearable. The only conceivable "scary" part of this movie happens in the last five minutes, and is nothing more than a screamer that you would have to be dull to not see coming. To make things worse, the I'm not convinced that this film deserves the title of "Horror Film" as much as "suspense thriller." Just the sheer amount of time it takes this movie to build makes it all but unbearable. The only conceivable "scary" part of this movie happens in the last five minutes, and is nothing more than a screamer that you would have to be dull to not see coming. To make things worse, the film heavy draws upon 'creepy' audio cues which conveniently spoil any oncoming action. Yes it was made on a low budget, but that's no excuse to deliver something as unimpressive as Paranormal Activity. If you're into cheap thrills, you might just enjoy this movie. Maybe. Expand
  61. z
    Jan 15, 2010
    All i watch are scary movies...ive been waiting for this movie to come out on dvd so i could get it...to be totally honest i was bored the first half of the movie...at no time while watching was i scared...i was amused...barely...at a couple things that happened in the movie...the movie sucked and what sucks is that i got it expecting it to be great and wanting it to be great so i was All i watch are scary movies...ive been waiting for this movie to come out on dvd so i could get it...to be totally honest i was bored the first half of the movie...at no time while watching was i scared...i was amused...barely...at a couple things that happened in the movie...the movie sucked and what sucks is that i got it expecting it to be great and wanting it to be great so i was disappointed...i wouldnt recommend this movie to anyone...at all...ever...no clue how it got such good ratings. Expand
  62. EliasC
    Jan 22, 2010
    Leave it to the Reality TV generation to think that this tedious and unscary film is entertaining. I'd rather watch my sister's travel videos.
  63. TimJ
    Nov 1, 2009
    The only reason this film receives a "1" from me is for how much fun we had driving home in awe that any person would say that this was worth viewing. Avoid this film!
  64. GregG.
    Oct 11, 2009
    What in the world is going on? Are all of these positive reviews about the same movie? Are we all talking about the same thing? How? I'm...flabbergasted; that's the word most appropriate. What at all was scary about this movie? I'm not one of those sado-masochistic weirdos that watches House of a 1000 corpses or whatever. Just an avid movie buff. I honestly don't get What in the world is going on? Are all of these positive reviews about the same movie? Are we all talking about the same thing? How? I'm...flabbergasted; that's the word most appropriate. What at all was scary about this movie? I'm not one of those sado-masochistic weirdos that watches House of a 1000 corpses or whatever. Just an avid movie buff. I honestly don't get it. A few noises and bumps and all of a sudden it's the scariest move for 20 years? The whole appeal of films in general is that they tell a story that even though may be false is still exciting enough to get you involved and believe. This movie does the opposite, it takes a story that isn't true and then through some weird ideas tries to make it seem real as a documentary. If this is cinema then G-d help us. Expand
  65. RichardS
    Nov 12, 2009
    This was a movie made for silly girls. There is nothing scary, and it is so slow, nothing happens in it either. I knew after 15 minutes that this movie was a waste. Thank god we got our money back. She should have at least showed some tit.
  66. JoshuaT
    Nov 15, 2009
    Completely abysmal! Horrible! Do not waste your time. I had never heard of this movie and decided to see it. Never heard of any "hype" good god...worst movie I've yet to see!
  67. PeteH
    Nov 16, 2009
    Scary? Suspenseful? How about Weak. Let-down. Overblown. Camera-shaking nausea. My favorite parts were the night scenes- not because they were frightening, but because the camera wasnt swinging like it was attached to the head of a drunken 8 year old boy. The only redeeming quality was the acting/writing in the first half of the film.
  68. Codym
    Nov 23, 2009
    Sacry? that would be the last word i would use to describe this cheap flick. I honestly laughed more at the supposed "Scariest movie of the year" then i had at most comedies! The acting was poorly done, the attempts at psycological horror were boring and left one feeling let down. I would only recommend this movie to groups of friends who would like to get a good laugh at this pathetic attempt.
  69. dustinb.
    Oct 13, 2009
    Wow talk about overhyped. not scary at all until the last 15 minutes. i laughed at this movie more than being scared. sorry but loud noises and lights flipping on and off don't scare me. the last 15 minutes were the only good minutes of this movie.
  70. dannym
    Oct 15, 2009
    Waste of money and time,movie is very slow going,people walked out from disgust and boredom,film taped like home made movie,a few funny comments but could not wait for movie to end,some parts were scarry but too many dragging parts.
  71. Mags
    Oct 16, 2009
    Best part of the movie? When it was finally over. The movie would be a good nominee for a comedy. I laughed so much, and so did everyone else in the theater. When the movie was over PLENTY of people complained loudly about how horrible of a movie this is. Save your money, as far as scary goes, the only thing scary is how much hype this movie is getting. WORST movie I have seen in a long Best part of the movie? When it was finally over. The movie would be a good nominee for a comedy. I laughed so much, and so did everyone else in the theater. When the movie was over PLENTY of people complained loudly about how horrible of a movie this is. Save your money, as far as scary goes, the only thing scary is how much hype this movie is getting. WORST movie I have seen in a long time. I never really regret paying for movies, but I surely regretted paying money for this garbage. Expand
  72. JaredT
    Oct 16, 2009
    Avoid this movie like H1N1. 75% of the people who see this movie will feel really cheated. The other 25% need to raise their standards. Honestly, this movie is the critic's revenge -- we ignored their warnings and saw movies like 'Couple's Retreat' -- well now they have the last laugh, because their positive reviews are going to lead people (like myself) to pay $12 to Avoid this movie like H1N1. 75% of the people who see this movie will feel really cheated. The other 25% need to raise their standards. Honestly, this movie is the critic's revenge -- we ignored their warnings and saw movies like 'Couple's Retreat' -- well now they have the last laugh, because their positive reviews are going to lead people (like myself) to pay $12 to see a student film that has approx. 1/10 the ingenuity of 'Blair Witch'. Like the ING guy says, "SAVE YOUR MONEY!" If you must satisfy your curiosity, download it for free. There is NO reason to see this home movie in a theatre. Expand
  73. DevarreaG
    Nov 7, 2009
    This movie is trash. It had a clever marketing campaign that tricked me into believing that it was worth my money. I give it a two because the only good parts were in the las 20 minutes. Besides that you should stay away from this pile of rotting garbage.
  74. MattD.
    Oct 17, 2009
    The entire film is spent making suspense for something that never happens. Insanely boring and is not scary at all. My friends and I thought the film was actually funnier than it was scary. The price I would be willing to pay for this film would have to be $1 at the red box after it comes out on DVD. Absolutely terrible film.
  75. Sam'sMom
    Dec 23, 2009
    Terrible. Extremely boring. Not scary at all.
  76. TrudeD
    Dec 26, 2009
    Those who say this is scary are obviously joking or so annoyed at wasting their monay that they want others to waste theirs as well, cause no one could seriously be scared of rubbish like that.
  77. StanW
    Dec 28, 2009
    Terrible movie. Why do they never turn the lights on at night? Why don't they lock the bedroom door? Why don't they sleep with a night light on? Why do they never go to a church to get away from the demon? I hate these hand held camera movies. This movie and The Blair Witch movie should be banned for being so bad.
  78. RyanC.
    Dec 29, 2009
    How do you make a box office hit? Apparently all it requires is an incredibly low budget piece of garbage that teases at scaring you and does nothing more than bore you for three-quarters of the entire film. By the time anything that some may consider 'scary' starts you're too bored to even give a damn. The only way this film was entertaining to watch was all the Mystery How do you make a box office hit? Apparently all it requires is an incredibly low budget piece of garbage that teases at scaring you and does nothing more than bore you for three-quarters of the entire film. By the time anything that some may consider 'scary' starts you're too bored to even give a damn. The only way this film was entertaining to watch was all the Mystery Science Theater commentary we made during the entire film. Expand
  79. Jean-PierreD.
    Dec 30, 2009
    I can think of 3 reasons why anybody would rave about this movie: 1) You're terribly afraid of the dark and it provides some sort of cathartic experience; 2) You're a money-worshipping American (pardon the oxymoron) and you're fascinated about how a clever guy could make nearly 100 million dollars from a 15 grand investment; 3) You're a journalist or geek in love with I can think of 3 reasons why anybody would rave about this movie: 1) You're terribly afraid of the dark and it provides some sort of cathartic experience; 2) You're a money-worshipping American (pardon the oxymoron) and you're fascinated about how a clever guy could make nearly 100 million dollars from a 15 grand investment; 3) You're a journalist or geek in love with the YouTube-like character of the movie and its viral marketing, all of which showcases the current power and influence of the Internet (and, of course, YOU are the Internet, in these Web2.0 times, so the Internet's greatness is nothing but an extension of your own personal greatness). If you judge a movie by old, useless criteria such as narrative, pacing, photography, etc, this one shows itself as exactly what it is: a student's experiment, with all the flaws inherent to a novice's work. But again, in these Web2.0 times, don't you dare suggest that novices are anything short of geniuses, not even that people can always improve, whether they're 18 or 68 years old. Expand
  80. ErikS
    Oct 23, 2009
    I'm not trying to be "hard" here - this movie truly did suck. It was mostly boring, and the ending was an insult with its goofy predictability. My wife and I can't believe we fell for the hype and wasted our money on this. I have been scared by a couple of movies in the past few years, but this one did nothing for me at all. I would have been much happier spending the money on a I'm not trying to be "hard" here - this movie truly did suck. It was mostly boring, and the ending was an insult with its goofy predictability. My wife and I can't believe we fell for the hype and wasted our money on this. I have been scared by a couple of movies in the past few years, but this one did nothing for me at all. I would have been much happier spending the money on a second trip to see Zombieland!!! Expand
  81. LJH.
    Dec 4, 2009
    This film is 106 minutes long. The first 90 of those minutes is entirely made up of lights flicking, random foot steps and the occasional growl. I know it had a low budget, but this doesn't even look like a film! It looks like something that a guy has thrown together at home and posted on youtube. You would need a lot of patience to sit through this mind-numbing rubbish since it This film is 106 minutes long. The first 90 of those minutes is entirely made up of lights flicking, random foot steps and the occasional growl. I know it had a low budget, but this doesn't even look like a film! It looks like something that a guy has thrown together at home and posted on youtube. You would need a lot of patience to sit through this mind-numbing rubbish since it spends a lot of time trying to build up tension (and failing) until it finally amounts to a very disappointing ending. It's been described as 'the film that terrified America'. If this is the case, America needs to grow some balls. Expand
  82. Sr
    Oct 24, 2009
    I'm glad i didn't pay to see this garbage. The scariest part was ~ZOMG SPOILERS~ when they heard the first large thunk and voice. Why didn't they make this a 45 minute movie? It would have been so much better. Well, maybe not, but at least it wouldn't have been such a waste of time! If you're easily scared by horror movies and expecting to be scared by Paranormal I'm glad i didn't pay to see this garbage. The scariest part was ~ZOMG SPOILERS~ when they heard the first large thunk and voice. Why didn't they make this a 45 minute movie? It would have been so much better. Well, maybe not, but at least it wouldn't have been such a waste of time! If you're easily scared by horror movies and expecting to be scared by Paranormal activity, You'll be disappointed. Expand
  83. CoyC.
    Oct 25, 2009
    It's rare that I would rate a movie as a 0 out of 10... however, there was nothing redeeming about this movie that would make me feel good about having spent $6.50 and almost 2 hours of my life to watch. The quality and editing are what you would expect out of a film with a $15,000 budget, but the trailers for the film are more than misleading. The only things that make anyone jump It's rare that I would rate a movie as a 0 out of 10... however, there was nothing redeeming about this movie that would make me feel good about having spent $6.50 and almost 2 hours of my life to watch. The quality and editing are what you would expect out of a film with a $15,000 budget, but the trailers for the film are more than misleading. The only things that make anyone jump is the sound until the very last scene. But that's not saying much as the film is very quiet, almost silent, and as you are straining to hear this haunting, the film pops with a loud noise.... nothing scary, just going from quiet to loud a lot. There's one scene with good special effects but I was so detached from the film by that point, it would have taken someone lighting the theatre on fire to bring out any semblance of fear. This is a perfect example of why people stop going to a theatre to watch movies.... it got a lot of hype, the marketing campaign was done well enough to tease you into wondering if it really could be that scary, and it got some (strangely) glowing reviews from respected film critics as Roger Ebert. His 3.5/4.0 review has me really reconsidering his sanity at this point. Expand
  84. RichardT.
    Oct 25, 2009
    The hullabaloo about this movie is a bunch of hokum. Guy makes a mocumentary with very low grade special effects (do try this at home) for $11K and it's believable and and scary as hell? Believable, yes (as these things go), but it shouldn't scare anybody older than 10. The acting was quite good and the premise presentable, but most of the time all that going on was waiting for The hullabaloo about this movie is a bunch of hokum. Guy makes a mocumentary with very low grade special effects (do try this at home) for $11K and it's believable and and scary as hell? Believable, yes (as these things go), but it shouldn't scare anybody older than 10. The acting was quite good and the premise presentable, but most of the time all that going on was waiting for something actually to happen. Anything! Well, if you are thrilled and excited by a jack-in-a-box', you'll love this. I've been punked by the critics. I just watched the classic B movie dreck, The Blob, and it was scarier than this. The stories about people walking out in the middle of this because they were scared witless is ludicrous. They were just too bored. People were laughing at the end at my showing because they'd been scammed by pseudosophisticate critics. Expand
  85. chaseh
    Oct 25, 2009
    I agree with the lowest review listed on Metacritic (0). I was a sucker to see the film in theaters; even the startling bits are given away in trailers, and they aren't even scary. No plot, no buildup, no tension, just a "haunted house" atmosphere that fails to linger in the mind for any reason other than "How did this garbage make it into the box office?". The movie gets a 3 for the I agree with the lowest review listed on Metacritic (0). I was a sucker to see the film in theaters; even the startling bits are given away in trailers, and they aren't even scary. No plot, no buildup, no tension, just a "haunted house" atmosphere that fails to linger in the mind for any reason other than "How did this garbage make it into the box office?". The movie gets a 3 for the audience's entertaining reactions. Expand
  86. PFai
    Oct 27, 2009
    This movie is so bad, so unscary, so boring, it doesn't even get a vote of 1.
  87. PamC
    Oct 27, 2009
    Really, really bad - not scary, not realistic, not sympathetic, nothing but boring, mindless drivel!!
  88. It'sDoomPadilla
    Oct 28, 2009
    I don't understand what's so scary about ghosts This movie was just boring and NOT scary I almost went to sleep.
  89. DavidV
    Dec 8, 2009
    Quite possibly the worst movie of all times. The problem isn't that it isn't a typical psycho killers movie. The problem is that it makes you feel nothing because nothing is happening. A door moving slightly at night or a chandelier moving aren't "scary." Some hail it for its "suspense" and "jump scares," but it completely lacks those, unless you're one of those people Quite possibly the worst movie of all times. The problem isn't that it isn't a typical psycho killers movie. The problem is that it makes you feel nothing because nothing is happening. A door moving slightly at night or a chandelier moving aren't "scary." Some hail it for its "suspense" and "jump scares," but it completely lacks those, unless you're one of those people that already believes this type of crap is possible and thus just become involved with it as if you believed this could be you. Skip on this movie at all cost. Expand
  90. JosephA
    Oct 29, 2009
    I'm still surprised at how many people are effectively saying that this movie is perfect. A ten out of ten means absolutely no flaws. Not only did this movie have flaws, the low budget everyone is heralding as the saving-grace of the film actually bogged it down. I really wish they used some decent special effects, honestly I do. It would have made the movie more interesting as well I'm still surprised at how many people are effectively saying that this movie is perfect. A ten out of ten means absolutely no flaws. Not only did this movie have flaws, the low budget everyone is heralding as the saving-grace of the film actually bogged it down. I really wish they used some decent special effects, honestly I do. It would have made the movie more interesting as well as more polished. I hated this movie after seeing the endiing, I hated what it stole from other films and what it could have been. Hearing people laugh AT the movie made me smile. Expand
  91. sexysexy
    Oct 31, 2009
    It is absolutely the worst possible choice for a horror flick right now. The ending was scary, but that's it. Literally, the action was all in the trailer. If you MUST see it, then at least go late into the movie, like an hour late. Then you wont have to go through the slow, slow, agonizingly boring buildup. in groups, this movie is nothing but funny, and it's incredibly It is absolutely the worst possible choice for a horror flick right now. The ending was scary, but that's it. Literally, the action was all in the trailer. If you MUST see it, then at least go late into the movie, like an hour late. Then you wont have to go through the slow, slow, agonizingly boring buildup. in groups, this movie is nothing but funny, and it's incredibly predictable thanks to a weird airplane-in-the-distance sound that comes before anything "paranormal" happens. It might be a slightly good movie if u go with just a girlfriend, but no other friends, maybe she'll make it a passable experience. Expand
  92. DG
    Oct 31, 2009
    Here's the ingrediants to this movie... #1- Steal Blair Witch's handheld-camera really-happening horror concept. #2- Steal the nightvision lens and monster dragging young woman into the darkness tricks from "Quarantine". #3- Take cliche "jump scene" tactics, and make the entire movie build up to the good ol' jump scene. #4- Make the characters too impossibly stupid to think Here's the ingrediants to this movie... #1- Steal Blair Witch's handheld-camera really-happening horror concept. #2- Steal the nightvision lens and monster dragging young woman into the darkness tricks from "Quarantine". #3- Take cliche "jump scene" tactics, and make the entire movie build up to the good ol' jump scene. #4- Make the characters too impossibly stupid to think to sleep in a well traveled public place like a shelter or park bench, where traditionally ghosts and goblins have a harder time snatching people. #5- And finally after stealing the entire movie concept from other recent horror movies coupled with horrendously unrealistic ignorances of the characters (the lead male actor seems to think he can kill the Demon by wrasslin' him or talking smack)...brag how it "only cost 15,000 dollars", so people will forgive its countless failings. If you're too old to have a slumber party, you're too old to not have the unoriginal and unrealistic plot sidetrack your attention. This is what happens when a few 8th graders get a derivitive idea, only it occurs to a full grown man with the money to see it to fruition. Expand
  93. ChrisV
    Oct 31, 2009
    Ok, so, this is scary?? pfff.. i just saw it like 10 minutes ago and, believe me, not scary, its frustrating how the camera moves a lot, and yes, you can feel like horror on the main characters, but they dont transit it.. the only thing i liked about this movie whas that it is kinda truly tio reallity, because they say that when one person is haunted by a demon its because this presence Ok, so, this is scary?? pfff.. i just saw it like 10 minutes ago and, believe me, not scary, its frustrating how the camera moves a lot, and yes, you can feel like horror on the main characters, but they dont transit it.. the only thing i liked about this movie whas that it is kinda truly tio reallity, because they say that when one person is haunted by a demon its because this presence whant to posses his soul :S.. but the movie its kinda boring, i whas very sleepy and its saturday night and its only 11:30 pm. Expand
  94. AveryB
    Dec 13, 2009
    The scariest thing about the movie is that it cost me $14.
  95. TJ
    Dec 14, 2009
    One of the worst movie ever screened in cinema. Wasted more than 1 hour 30 min of my life watching this crap. I want a refund for the movie ticket! Once bitten twice shy, so don't even think of making Paranormal Activity. Just realise that I have wasted another 3 mins writing this review.
  96. PaulH
    Dec 15, 2009
    Boring and anti-climatic, not that it would have even taken much at the end to reach some kind of peak compared to the rest of the "film." I'm glad I didn't pay to see this movie. If I had, I most certainly would have walked out to get a refund.
  97. LanH
    Dec 21, 2009
    This movie isn't scary which just ruins the whole point of it. Towards the end our whole cinema was laughing because everyone was making jokes about it.
  98. EvanW.
    Dec 28, 2009
    I can't believe how excited I was to see this boring, slow paced, waste-of-my-life film. I laughed more than I was scared.
  99. Feb 26, 2011
    What the hell were the directors and writers thinking? This movie had so much potential to be great, but it flopped badly. The story is of a couple that has weird things going on in their house. The whole beginning of this movie was just the two of them going "Whoa, did you feel/see that?". The only decent part of that whole 90 minutes was the ending. It was the only part that actuallyWhat the hell were the directors and writers thinking? This movie had so much potential to be great, but it flopped badly. The story is of a couple that has weird things going on in their house. The whole beginning of this movie was just the two of them going "Whoa, did you feel/see that?". The only decent part of that whole 90 minutes was the ending. It was the only part that actually made me feel suspense, but only just a little bit. This movie was a complete waste of money that should have never been made. Expand
  100. Aug 31, 2010
    Don't be fooled by the critics high ratings, this movie was 95% boring with only one or two semi-scary or interesting moments, both of which ended quickly with no real drama or interest. I was very disappointed, the ending was abrupt and as bland and un-descriptive as the entire film and made me wonder what the purpose was of watching the entire movie, I wish I had not.

1. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Beyond the viral ingenuity of the marketing, what's cool about PA is that it's not just a fun thrill ride; it's an instructive artistic experience. A horror-movie revisionist, Peli follows a less-is-more strategy.
  2. I’ve never seen a movie that so cunningly exploits our anticipation.
  3. Reviewed by: Tirdad Derakhshani
    An impressive, not entirely successful exercise in minimalist filmmaking.