7.0

1. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have nothing really against this move, because it was actually kind of decent. Sure, it wasn't exactly as I was expecting, because I expected an army, instead I get just a small group of colonial zombies. Let alone my expectations for this were too high, it was still a time killer. Expand
  2. Aug 18, 2013
    Paranorman was quite an odd film for me. I am I huge fan of Coraline so when I saw this advertised I thought I would like it the same. I wasn't quite right however. The animation was great and all and they sure put together a good cast but I just couldn't find myself to like it a lot. I felt like the film was very enclosed and in a certain space like the characters were just talking and not travelling. I don't like how films intertwine a love story in the film on purpose just to 'relate to everyone'. People are not going to watch Paranorman to see a love story, they will rent 'The Notebook' or something. It just doesn't work when you put love into this type of comic horror film, it just turns out to be cheesy. I know the love story was only a small portion of the film put it seemed to stick with me the most, not the main plot. So, Paranorman is ok but it isn't as good as Coraline that's for sure! Expand
  3. Aug 14, 2013
    "ParaNorman" is highly fun, beautiful and dazzling, and has a very satisfying ending that is sure to delight older audiences. The downsides? Well, despite its interesting characters and wonderful message, the film sometimes struggles with originality, as the film feels overdone with the fact that its also considerably a zombie movie, though the zombies have a smaller degree of importance in the film. Despite this, "ParaNorman" succeeds to darken and delight its age group by its compelling narrative and the spectacular and creepy visual effects, even though it may feel unoriginal when it focuses on zombies. Expand
  4. Jun 26, 2013
    ParaNorman has new stuff that haven't been made for a long time, it is mature and frightening for a PG film, and it is surprisingly good, it has a good premise, a stunning visuals and an outstanding plot and twist for a movie for kids, but it has some poor movie building, it is way to mature for kids and frightening, but still ParaNorman is one of the best movies 2012
  5. Jun 5, 2013
    Paranorman is a mixed bag. One end the story was some great themes, deals with a serious topic in American history, has some adult moments, and great horror scenes. On the other hand the comedy feels out of place, the characters are cliché, and there seems to be a lack of danger. I feel like one more rewrite and removal of comedic tones could have given us a spectacular film. But as it is Paranorman has its flaws but there is enough good stuff in here to

make it worth a watch.
  6. Jun 4, 2013
    "ParaNorman" has a general, basic plot that incorporates thematic elements that are foreign to the entire demographic scope.

The only thing that this animation can gloat about is its cohesive (albeit elementary) story board. At least we know that the writers went to college...
  7. May 27, 2013
    Wow, just wow. I went into this movie with a very bad mindset. I thought it was going to be terrible. I was going to just watch it on Netflix for the heck of it because I was bored. Boy I was wrong. I've forgetting how much kids ovies used to make me laugh. I haven't laughed this hard at a movie's jokes in a long time. I was in tears way more than the 1 or 2 chuckles I got from Ted. As for visuals, I absolutely loved the art style. And I wish more claymation movies would do this, it's a very dark and detailed claymation with a lot of extra video editing. The graphical style is just stunning. I underestimated this movie a lot and was surprised to find that it brought a very good storyline. It gets a little slow, but near the end they pick up the pace. Right when you think this movie will turn left, it turns right. And I like that. It has a good message on bullying and the best humor I've seen in a long time, my only concern for others is that this movie IS NOT for children. Don't let the PG rating fool you. There is plenty of sex jokes, some swearing, and even some gay references. It barely escapes a pg-13 rating. Overall though, was truly surprised how good this movie was. Expand
  8. Mar 24, 2013
    This movie just didn't work. The story line sucked, the characters weren't likable, and the concept wasn't good. It's hard for me to believe this actually succeeded.
  9. Mar 14, 2013
    A lot like Frankenweenie I enjoyed a good chunk of this movie, but there are just to many plot lines that don't work. This animation is good enough to recommend.
  10. Feb 11, 2013
    I got to say: This movie almost lived up to it's hype for me. The animation is brilliant. The music is fantastic. Voice acting very good. But I also felt that this is a movie I have seen many times before, at least from the point of view of the moral of the story. For an animated movie it does have some rather intense visuals that I would not recommend for little children, but still a bit tame for an adult audience. While the stop motion is very well done, it also feels a little tired. However, I highly doubt this movie could have worked if done any other way. Overall: A pretty decent movie that is fun to watch, but feels a little flat at times. Still allot of fun, and perfect for any Halloween. Expand
  11. BKM
    Feb 2, 2013
    ParaNorman never quite finds the right balance between goofy comedy, creepfest and parable, but it's still a visual treat with a good heart and one of the more genuinely moving finales of any film released in 2012. That alone puts it a cut above the increasingly homogenized crop of family friendly animated fare being churned out at an alarming rate.
  12. Jan 29, 2013
    ParaNorman is a very different and amazing stop-motion film, although it was impossible to expect less because is from Laika productions, the same studio that brings Coraline. To begin with the story and main character are not very original. It has a misunderstood boy who can speak with dead people, a curse of a 300 year witch and zombies. The interesting thing is the way in which the plot develops; because with little jokes and making fun of stereotypes, treat topics like discrimination, perseverance and fear. The attractive thing about fear is that this movie takes it to the next level, since this is a feeling with the power of changing who you are; so if you do not let it control you, is possible to have a beautiful life with no regrets. Another captivating thing is the sort of expressionism with which was constructed the animated characters. Apart from that there are characters that need to be highlighted like Norman and the drama teacher, apparently the only two intellectuals in a sea of unenlightened people. This teacher is especially extraordinary because in one moment she quotes Julius Caesar from Shakespeare: Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of War. Expand
  13. Jan 13, 2013
    ParaNorman is the best animated film of the year that I have seen. It gives out good messages, it is funny, sweet, and emotionally depth. I never was once bored with it. I give this film 90%.
  14. Jan 12, 2013
    The 3rd stop-motion film from Laika studios who brought us Coraline and Corpse Bride is technically state-of-the-art but the story is probably the least interesting of the three. It's maybe a bit dark for a kids movie but not rich enough a story to keep adults engaged. If you're a fan of stop motion flicks it's recommended viewing but for everyone else there are more interesting films out there I guess. Expand
  15. Jan 9, 2013
    Well, the movie doesn't stands quite up to "Coraline" but it is still great, and freaked my little sister, well this movie is ain't made for kids, it is made for teens, not kids, not adults, appropriate for teens and older teens, the movie has great, amazing effects, but it takes a lot of time to build up the plot, the 3D was amazing, characters were terrific, plot, intelligent, but still "Coraline" a little better, so I will say, I will give this movie a 9 out of 10 it is a good time, no kids are involved, I can say it is best for children 11 years old and over. Expand
  16. Jan 7, 2013
    something i've seen in paranorman that i haven't seen in a long time: a plot twist that i didn't see coming. that upped my respect for the movie a lot. also the fact that the movie has some very interesting things to say about bullying. i liked it so much that i'm willing to forgive it for some of the more cliché moments.
  17. Dec 27, 2012
    "ParaNorman" is joyous and quite surprising in its quirky wit. The animation is splendor - but needless to say, the film moves tediously to a broad ending.
  18. Dec 20, 2012
    ParaNorman is a kind of film that you can love, from which you can learn those little things that happen in our everyday life but nobody bothers to fix it or do something about it. It gives a great message of "being different from others" and in this society, this happens a lot. Visual effects, the entire stop-motion animation is brilliant, I loved every frame of it. The voice acting is fantastic, sounds very natural and genuine that sometimes it makes you forget that you're watching an animated film. The background score in the climax when Norman is convincing Agatha is so freaking awesome and so is the animation in those frames. A couple of days ago, I was reading a review about Mitch being "gay" and they had given it a really low score because of that factor. But honestly, I don't care about it. It's not a big deal. And definitely not an important factor to consider when reviewing a movie especially when you're reviewing an animated feature film. Expand
  19. Zal
    Dec 14, 2012
    When I first saw the trailer, I wasn't sure if I would like this film and when I saw it, I didn't like it. I LOVED it. I love stopmotion, but that's not why I love this film (well, it's one of the reasons). All the characters are very likable. Even characters like the sister, the best friend's brother, and the school bully were lots of fun. They started out as stereotypical jerks but there's a little more to them then that.

I also like how there's actually atmosphere in this movie. A lot of kids movies are afraid of being too scary because it's "dark," but ParaNorman, for the most part, is not scary. The scene that freaked me out was the climax (same thing with Coraline, but I think Coraline's climax was scary as %$@*). I won't say what happens but even if you don't think it's scary, it's still a great scene, especially if you love animation since it combines stopmotion, computer, and hand-drawn animation.

While it's not scary, there are a lot of elements of horror. If you like watching old grindhouse movies, you might find this interesting since the writers have incorporated their love of the genre into this film.

I realize this movie won't be everyone's cup of tea and that's okay. I went with a friend who thought it was going to be a cute, Tim Burton-y type of movie and she ended up not liking it. I love Tim Burton's stopmotion films, but I don't know how his fans will feel about this movie. ParaNorman is more for Coraline fans. Since I am a Coraline fan, I recommend this. But I also recommend it because it was creative, funny, and touching.
  20. Dec 13, 2012
    It's not a great animated film by any means- but there's magic in it, and all the details feel fresh and original. The whole vibe is just- to put it in a word- cool.
  21. Dec 9, 2012
    A brilliant film. It really nails the horror scenes well. They're genuinely scary and imaginative. I wouldn't let a young kid watch this lol. It has some classic, retro type music play when the zombies appear too, giving it a kind of grindhouse feel. The animation is really unique and quirky, the dialogue is funny too. A family film on a didn't level, an old school level.
  22. Dec 6, 2012
    Ugh, Paraboring zzzz... The most entertaining part of this movie was the end credit song, thassa-not-good. If you like watching spectacle without plot or interesting stuff going down, then you'll love this, and Sucker-Punch and Prometheus.
  23. Nov 30, 2012
    The number one reason why this movie is bad is lack of a good story movie, it doesn't exist. The scary atmosphere isnt there either. The movie is very boring at times. Animations are very well done, but thats not enough
  24. Nov 24, 2012
    I thought it was a pretty enjoyable movie. Solid voice acting and it looks rather unique as well. Although I am not a fan of the touchy feely movies, I thought the movie got rather sweet (in a good way) near the end and for it to touch me in such a way is very suprising considering it's hard for me to find something like that touching in the first place. I would definently recommend watching it.
  25. Nov 24, 2012
    Technically impressive, stop motion effort which should get this film a nice, nomination at the Oscars. A bit scary for kids in spots, but has a great message in the end about tolerance and understanding. Basically a horror flick for the little ones. Give this one a go.
  26. Nov 19, 2012
    ParaNorman was honestly one of the greatest movies of 2012 I think. It features a very interesting, but well written story, voice acting that fits each character perfectly, amazing plot twists, jokes that teens & adults will get & love, and one of the best movie endings I've ever seen. I know, you probably haven't ever heard of this movie or you think it looks too childish, but believe me, this is will probably end up being hugely underrated. Expand
  27. Nov 14, 2012
    The movie was enjoyable and had beautiful cinematography- however, I feel that the plot was not well paced and the writing was not particularly good. There were some funny parts, some flat parts, but the overall experience is positive. I wouldn't pay full ticket price and won't own for my home collection, but it's worth renting or borrowing once.
  28. Oct 31, 2012
    Chissà quanti Norman hanno dovuto sopportare i giochi di parole sul loro nome collegato al paranormale. Rende giustizia a tutti il protagonista di questa pellicola, un ragazzo che deve tirare avanti tra i lazzi dei suoi compagni di scuola e i borbottii di compatimento (quando va bene) in famiglia perché sostiene di vedere i morti e di poterci parlare. Non è però un caso di fantasia troppo accesa: il piccolo Norman riesce davvero a mettersi in contatto con i defunti, a partire dalla nonna che continua a sferruzzare sul divano facendogli compagnia davanti a vecchi film dell Expand
  29. Oct 25, 2012
    ParaNorman confirms that Laika is an animation studio worth watching out for. As with Coraline, they've crafted a film that truly respects its young audience ,A savvy, intelligent, well-crafted animated horror comedy for kids should also appeal to adult horror fans as well.
  30. Oct 15, 2012
    This movie was funny, clever, moving, exciting, and wonderful in ways that most kids flicks can only hope to be. If your or any kids you have didn't see it yet, you're missing out on a real treat ,Will this win the oscar for best animated film? Because the only competition might be brave and this was far better than brave in my opinion.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 16, 2012
    It's a likable scary story – with hints of Tim Burton and Steven Spielberg.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Sep 10, 2012
    Ingenious and wonderfully detailed, though better in its imaginative horror than its slightly too-broad comic knockabout. It's not quite on the level of Coraline, but it's proper summer fun with some dark delights.
  3. Reviewed by: Jayne Nelson
    Sep 1, 2012
    Gorgeous animation and inspired set design help patch over a lacklustre script. The horror hardcore will enjoy playing spot the homage.