5.0

1. Jan 13, 2013
    OK. Fairly topica satire on rearing children. Mildly amusing movie making, more or less by the numbers, but warm hearted anyway. Flabby direction overall, with a sloppy script, only held up in the air by the usual Billy Crystal schtick. Bette Midler is not really given much to do, which is a pity, because she injects a bit of soul and energy into her role as the grandmother. The kids areOK. Fairly topica satire on rearing children. Mildly amusing movie making, more or less by the numbers, but warm hearted anyway. Flabby direction overall, with a sloppy script, only held up in the air by the usual Billy Crystal schtick. Bette Midler is not really given much to do, which is a pity, because she injects a bit of soul and energy into her role as the grandmother. The kids are pretty good, the slapstick sequences less so. Marisa Tomei doesn't make a very convincing mom, but she does appreciably better than her erstwhile husband, who simply stands around in the background channeling his own inner hubby hunkiness - at the expense of any dialogue. In short, a family movie that does not rely on computer effects or frenetic film editing - but which should probably have been a little wittier and crisper in its comic delivery. Frankly, the imaginary kangaroo created most of the laughs. Collapse
  2. Jan 3, 2013
    We went with our kids and grandkids (ages 12 & 14) to see this film and all of us liked it. It's not great art, nor does it break much new ground, but it made us all laugh. Parts of it are over the top, but there are parts that feel genuine. I had not expected to like it, but I did in spite of myself. The short scene at the end of the credits is worth waiting for.
  3. Jan 4, 2013
    From the opening scene of Billy Crystal doing his baseball radio schtick to the next scene where Bette Midler and friends are pole dancing, completely dressed, with a promise of cheesecake after, to the following scene where their daughter, Marisa Tomei, calls them reluctantly and asks them to come to their
  4. Jul 19, 2013
    It's hard for me to hate on a family friendly movie with a sweet side like this one, especially when movies are getting super vulgar now days. But Parental Guidance fails to bring laughs and fails to hook you with it's emotional side. This makes the movie super boring. Add in the fact that this is aimed at families with kids of all ages and its failure makes it all the more sad. As much asIt's hard for me to hate on a family friendly movie with a sweet side like this one, especially when movies are getting super vulgar now days. But Parental Guidance fails to bring laughs and fails to hook you with it's emotional side. This makes the movie super boring. Add in the fact that this is aimed at families with kids of all ages and its failure makes it all the more sad. As much as it pains me to say Parental Guidance is not worth your time. You can safely pass on this one. Expand
  5. Mar 24, 2013
    The cast was terrific, especially Billy Crystal, who gave a very good performance, but with a script that is filled with mediocre jokes and predictable outcomes where everything goes wrong, Parental Guidance is mostly a generic family comedy.
  6. Mar 29, 2013
    This wasn't as funny as I was hoping for but it was a pretty good film to watch with the family. Billy Crystal is great, as usual, and Bette Midler does a good job in more of a supporting role. Surprisingly, especially after my last movie-watching experience, the child actors in this movie were competent bordering on pretty good. The only character who really annoyed you was MarisaThis wasn't as funny as I was hoping for but it was a pretty good film to watch with the family. Billy Crystal is great, as usual, and Bette Midler does a good job in more of a supporting role. Surprisingly, especially after my last movie-watching experience, the child actors in this movie were competent bordering on pretty good. The only character who really annoyed you was Marisa Tomei's. Speaking of annoying, that was really the drawback here. Like most modern day family comedies, this movie gets a decent amount of its laughs through pure annoyance. Not as bad as say, Meet the Parents, but it still have too many annoying parts. Overall, Parental Guidance is a decent family film but I wouldn't suggest it for most people. Expand
  7. Sep 3, 2014
    Parental Guidance is a childish and generally bland comedy about grandparents and parents and their children. Bette Midler is good--so is Marisa Tomei... but little else is.
  8. Jun 30, 2013
    This movie is of course a dumb comedy meant for little kids. There's really no reason to watch it, but it wasn't as horrendous as I had feared. Most of the jokes are pretty stupid and the characters can really start to grate the nerves at times. I did like how the movie showed that modern children have no discipline, and Crystal's bewilderment at someone even mentioning Facebook orThis movie is of course a dumb comedy meant for little kids. There's really no reason to watch it, but it wasn't as horrendous as I had feared. Most of the jokes are pretty stupid and the characters can really start to grate the nerves at times. I did like how the movie showed that modern children have no discipline, and Crystal's bewilderment at someone even mentioning Facebook or twitter was somewhat amusing, but these things can't save it from predictability, blandness, and annoying characters. However, if you are forced to watch it, it won't kill you. Expand
  9. Mar 23, 2013
    Parental Guidance starts with promising first 10 minutes but finishes as dime-a-dozen family comedy. Good, clean fun and pulling some heartstrings along the way guaranteed.
  10. May 31, 2013
    Has some enjoyable moments, but mostly just an ego trip for Billy Crystal's ability to make one-liners. Overall, it's forgettable and only manages to squeeze three or four laughs out of me. Not terrible, but pretty bad and one of Billy Crystal's worst movies.
  11. Nov 13, 2014
    "Parental Guidance" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: There were a few moments that I would call "cute" and I even chuckled a time or two. Billy Crystal and Bette Midler did a solid job as quirky grandparents. I enjoyed the backhanding of new age parenting somewhat ... The Bad: ... but the state of the family involved was way too over the top, complete with children that
    "Parental Guidance" 10 Scale Rating: 5.0 (Mediocre) ...

The Bad: ... but the state of the family involved was way too over the top, complete with children that had every issue that you can think of. The screwball grandparents didn't seem like the problem, though the film at times tried to reinforce the notion that they were. It also felt like a sitcom as opposed to a movie, complete with musical cues. I kept waiting for the laugh track to play.

1. Reviewed by: Emma Dibdin
    Jan 11, 2013
    The kids are charmless, the writing is bland, and the embarrassing jokes sound like nails down a blackboard.
    Parental Guidance is one of those intergenerational embarrassment comedies in the "Meet the Fockers" line, where children can enjoy seeing grown-ups looking ridiculous.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael Phillips
    Dec 31, 2012
    The pathos: considerable. The sight gags, involving Crystal puking chili dog on a kid's face, or the grandson with an imaginary friend peeing and causing an X Games skateboarder to wipe out: artless. The results: tolerably amusing.