Parker

5.9

1. Jan 25, 2013
    Even if you go into this movie waiting to hate it for its simplistic and slavish obedience to the action-thriller genre, Jason Statham will win you over. He has the "it" factor that makes the movie work, just like his Transporter series and Crank. When you sprinkle the bodacious curves of Lopez on top, the result is pure goodness! Sometimes the formula used by the simpletons in HollywoodEven if you go into this movie waiting to hate it for its simplistic and slavish obedience to the action-thriller genre, Jason Statham will win you over. He has the "it" factor that makes the movie work, just like his Transporter series and Crank. When you sprinkle the bodacious curves of Lopez on top, the result is pure goodness! Sometimes the formula used by the simpletons in Hollywood works, and sometimes it doesn't. That is the danger with using a formula. This time it worked. Expand
  2. Jan 27, 2013
    Lopez adds a refreshing twist to this play by the numbers Statham movie. I think she should of been the next Bond girl but I will accept her in this almost straight to dvd action flick. Also it is nice to see an action movie with fight scenes that do NOT involve to much shaky cam. There is a reason why they keep making movies of this type. It just works and people buy it.
  3. Jan 25, 2013
    This was a standard Jason Statham movie, in a good way. The action was decent, the trailer did not ruin the movie and the pacing of Parker was really good.
  4. Jan 28, 2013
    Being a Statham fan I had to see the latest entry. I would rank it slightly better than average. The plot is the standard where the protagonist is left for dead, then seeks revenge on all his betrayers. We've seen this in other Statham movies, Clint Eastwood movies, and countless other "revenge" action pictures. It's a formula that works when done well. The Jennifer Lopez character isBeing a Statham fan I had to see the latest entry. I would rank it slightly better than average. The plot is the standard where the protagonist is left for dead, then seeks revenge on all his betrayers. We've seen this in other Statham movies, Clint Eastwood movies, and countless other "revenge" action pictures. It's a formula that works when done well. The Jennifer Lopez character is really strange. At first she is brave, willing to throw herself in a dangerous situation, then other times in the movie she is the stereotypical, overreacting hysterical female. She seemed to have a split personality. Recommended if your a fan of this genre. Expand
  5. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The opening shot of "Parker" is a ride at The Ohio State Fair; huge and scary; that you've just bought a ticket for. Just hang on. .
    Based on a Donald Westlake novel (Point Blank,The Hot Rock), With elements of "Drive" and "Skyfall" there's nothing not to like about this film. Back at The fair, you quickly realize there's something very wrong going on here amongst the rides and cotton candy. Jason Statham a close relation of Wolverine according to the very inventive fight scenes and rapid recovery time, is someone you just don't cross. Jennifer Lopez as a not a kid anymore" Real Estate Agent living with Mom,( Patty Lupone), on a losing streak and slightly crazy, willing to take a big risk adds a needed character to the story. In addition to phenomena camera work and editing, characters are given a back story with just a few well placed lines. Clowns, crooked firemen, wild "Bourne"-type fight scenes and SCUBA Diving; It's nice to see a film this good actually got made.
    Rated "R" for Language, Violence GHAAAA!!!! Brief Nudity and Jennifer Lopez taking off her dress.
    Very, very good.
  6. Feb 12, 2014
    Jason Statham is THE action hero of generation X, and may be one of the best action heroes of all time. The man seems to channel elements of Willis, Stallone, & Schwarzenegger into every film he does, not to mention he is one of the hardest working actors in Hollywood. At first his films got a reputation for moving too fast and being a bit confusing, but with every film, he has gottenJason Statham is THE action hero of generation X, and may be one of the best action heroes of all time. The man seems to channel elements of Willis, Stallone, & Schwarzenegger into every film he does, not to mention he is one of the hardest working actors in Hollywood. At first his films got a reputation for moving too fast and being a bit confusing, but with every film, he has gotten better and better, and to date his crowning achievement is Parker. Parker is a thief for hire, one of the best money can buy. When an old friend hooks him up with an ambitious crew, Parker is eager to get started on a job, that promises seven figures. The job goes off without a hitch, but on the way back the crew lets Parker know that this was just seed money for a much larger and almost impossible job. When Parker refuses to partake, he winds up left for dead on the side of the road, with only one thing on his mind, revenge. This film puts a new twist on a classic story and it is done to near perfection by a top star and veteran Director, Taylor Hackford (Ray, The Devil's Advocate). Statham makes the story with his best performance to date and has plenty of help to ensure this movie is his crown jewel. The list of Emmy and Academy Award winners is this film is staggering. I won't list them all, as you can see the full cast on IMDB, but when you put that many stars together, the result is almost always going to be magic. In the end the film does turn out to be somewhat predictable, but it's one of those times where you really just don't care. Parker is two hours of excitement with all the comedy, explosions, twists, and turns you could hope for. I can't possibly recommend it enough for fans of the Action genre. In an Action film it's hard to get a good cast and even harder to get a decent story to go with the mayhem, but Parker has that an more. It is a textbook example of what an Action film should be and I really liked it. Expand
  7. Mar 9, 2013
    Parker is a very entertaining heist and revenge drama. Jason Statham is in his element here and this is his only other good film after 'The Bank Job'. Muscularly directed by Taylor Hackford and tightly edited the film is a guilty pleasure. Jennifer Lopez doesn't disgrace herself, although she is saddled with some of the worst of the dialogue, and events move at a cracking pace. The openingParker is a very entertaining heist and revenge drama. Jason Statham is in his element here and this is his only other good film after 'The Bank Job'. Muscularly directed by Taylor Hackford and tightly edited the film is a guilty pleasure. Jennifer Lopez doesn't disgrace herself, although she is saddled with some of the worst of the dialogue, and events move at a cracking pace. The opening heist scene is good value and there is a corker of a scene involving a shower curtain, a knife and lashings of blood which is edge of seat stuff. The West Palm Beach locations are also breathtakingly unfamiliar. Expand
  8. Jan 30, 2013
    Storyline: This is a remake of 'Payback' basically but with Jason Statham as Parker, a thief with principals. Remembering that this is really a well made Jason Statham movie you know what to expect and on this it delivers. Michael Chiklis is the main bad guy and Jennifer Lopez is the lead female. The story is quite good and will satisfy any action movie/Statham fans.

Acting: What can

Acting: What can you say about Statham? Up to now he is getting away with being himself and I'm certainly not bored watching his films but this 'one trick pony' could end up being a box office pariah. I would like to see him (eventually) trying something different. I like Michael Chiklis but he wasn't used a great deal in this but was good at being bad. Jennifer Lopez is not a bad actress (no she isn't) and did OK, she even got her kit off which for us males wasn't a bad thing, not a bad thing at all.

Direction: Taylor Hackford is without doubt a good director and I've seen a lot of his movies but I couldn't see a film a say, oh, that looks like Taylor Hackford directed that. He doesn't have a unique style which this film could have done with to give it something extra, know what I mean? Maybe not.

Production: I enjoyed everything about this film and thought it was well put together with a really strong cast (for an action flik) and a decent story so $30 million seems well spent. I can see them turning a decent profit especially when it's out on BluRay.

Conclusion: I love a good action movie every now and then and this fits the bill. Statham, Chiklis and Jay Lo, what more do you need? Recommended.

Score: 7.5/10
  9. Sep 14, 2013
    Parker starts with a state fair robbery, like your average Jason Statham thriller- but it's also huge, scary and effective. The story tables apart into a betrayal plot with revenge free with a bloody purchase. Parker played by Jason is a professional thief who helps his father in law's friends with a robbery and twisted into a plot of betray for money. When he wakes up in a hospital-Parker starts with a state fair robbery, like your average Jason Statham thriller- but it's also huge, scary and effective. The story tables apart into a betrayal plot with revenge free with a bloody purchase. Parker played by Jason is a professional thief who helps his father in law's friends with a robbery and twisted into a plot of betray for money. When he wakes up in a hospital- Parker questions his enemy's families and finds out that they are planning a heist for millions of diamonds and jewels. When Parker reaches Palm Beach, Florida he takes help of a simple but loaned real estate agent Leslie Rodgers Jennifer Lopez who is willing to help Parker for money. When Parker's cover blows he is not unknown anymore. Find out if Parker survives this bloody war of heists, money, drug lords, and his own life full of secrets that untangle in front of Leslie. The movie is very old school and very violent also. Parker is rated R" for bloody violence, language, sexuality/nudity Expand
  10. Jun 20, 2013
    This was a good move and not to forget you get Lopez in it I bet she rocked a few viewers mind lol......Its better then I though it would be.One of his best.
  11. Apr 30, 2014
    The Movie was actually great, The actors seem like they where not trying too hard. Jennifer Lopez Is such a great actress, Jason S. Was also amazing. I would love to see them work again.
  12. May 1, 2014
    I enjoyed this movie a lot - it's a satisfying thriller with nonstop action, and JLo's acting is on point.
    I would like to say that I'm surprised by all the negative reviews; after all this is an action movie and it is supposed to be like this.
  13. May 2, 2014
    This is actually a great film! I went in expecting a disaster but i was pleasantly surprised! Statham was great as usual with a nice twist at his basic action hero character, Lopez was very good and in a role very fresh and different for her (i mean come, JLo sad and desperate getting the cold shoulder by Jason?! LOL) and Hackford is also great! Fun and cool for its genre! :)
  14. Nov 15, 2014
    I liked the movie. It is not the classic but is fun and entertaining. It also is less obvious than most in its genre. I never really like J. Lopez, but in this movie she was really good.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Sobczynski
    Sep 9, 2014
    The best things about Parker are the two lead actors. Although working with material that is lackluster even by his standards, Statham manages to demonstrate a commanding screen presence that cannot be dismissed. Opposite him, Lopez delivers one of her more convincing performances.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Mar 4, 2013
    Fifty years after he first appeared, Donald E. Westlake’s antihero may have found his perfect avatar. Like Parker’s robberies, it isn’t entirely successful, but Statham and Lopez make enticingly mismatched partners in crime.
  3. Reviewed by: Laremy Legel
    Feb 26, 2013
    Sometimes in life, simple pleasures can be rewarding, and that’s certainly the case here. Parker is not a particularly innovative film, but it’s no less effective for the blemish.